The New Thundercats: Watch 9 Minutes of Purrfect Leaked Footage (VIDEO)

There's a good chance this will be pulled down by the powers that be pretty soon, so enjoy it while it lasts. More than nine minutes of footage from Cartoon Network's Thundercats reboot has made its way online, our first lengthy look at the new version of one of the best afterschool cartoons of the late 1980s. (Video via MovieWeb.)

The video doesn't appear to be the first nine minutes, but rather 604 seconds' worth of chunks from the first episode(s). But who's worried about following story right now? We just want to take a look at the revamped 'Cats (WilyKat and WilyKit look even more adorable!), critique the animation (works for me), and get a sense of the new tone (belching and awkward teen voice-cracking? Check x 2!).

The Cartoon Network version is set before the events of the original series, when the planet Thundera was still unexploded and Cheetara was hot enough to wear a two-piece, midriff-exposing hottie outfit instead of a relatively modest, already-had-three-kittens one-piece. If she'd looked like this during my teen years, I'd probably be a Furrie right now. But the recipient of the biggest change may be Snarf, who's gone from looking like someone out of the 1977 The Hobbit movie to something much more suitable for including in a Happy Meal (he appears at the end of the first promo that concludes the video).

All in all, though, the reboot it looks like a pretty sweet update that stays true to the spirit of the original.

ThunderCats premieres on Cartoon Network on July 29, 2011.

Which part of the 'cats new look do you like (or hate) the most?

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

based on lion os fathers commentary its definitely set after the original series they defeated mummra and now hes back
haha I am glad the thunder-kittens dont sound like adults. I see now that your video has been overdubbed by horrible music.... sad... it scared the shit out of me...
I've been following the progress of this..

Thundera is now a kingdom on Third Earth, not a planet. This is a big deviation from the original series, but I think it will still work.

This is a complete reboot of the original series. Not a sequel/prequel. This doesn't occur years after the original series. It's just a different take on it.
I loved the original Thundercats cartoon and the comic book series that followed. This is either a reboot or set in a future a long time after the original series (since the king talks about "3rd Earth" and not "Thundera" and also the fact that their "ancestors" defeated Mum-ra). Looks pretty good! I'll definitely watch it!
Sooooooo, It's a sequel...cool
@Kellic Read up son....Its a reboot.

And quit being a dick....people are entitled to their own opinions.
Great animation,great work.

I'm glad Snarf cannot speak in this one. The talking animal thing just does not work for me with few exceptions. It is kind of like what they did in the Masters of the Universe remake a few years back, Cringer/Battlecat could not speak unlike the original and it was better.
Ok I've downloaded and watched the first 10-ish episodes of the original Thundercats and I think this will be an sequele after a few hundret years on Earth 3. Probably some reincarnation stuff to explain how the characters are the same. But from what I've been able to get out of the episodes I've watched I don't see what you're all whining about. Four sure the shows main story line has great potencial and I can't wait how it will turn out but the guys who wrote the dialoge for the characters then were writing for a 10 year old audience I think and the woice acting wasn't so great. And some of the stuff like they have space ships but they fight with clubs and such I think will be changed in the new version so I think it will be a great thing for the show to get more real and from the clips I think it's going in that direction. And if Snarf really can't speak I'll be eternaly greatful to the writers.
The animation is great and I like that they have the old Lion-O as the voice of the father but the storyline seems a bit off to me but only if it was a reboot. The way that the king tells of the past, how the thundercats brought order to the world and the battled Mum-ra, makes it seem like this is more a sequel to the original series with descendants of the original characters.
Meh, was not particularly impressed.
Yeegad I think I about sprung a leak, this looks most excellent. Coming from a fan of the original series I'd say this lives up to it.
It should be pointed out that the animation for the original series was done by a Japanese company (subcontracted by Rankin Bass who also did the Hobbit) so it's only natural for this series to be anime.
Not bad, not bad at all... Considering the fact that is a new version of the 80's series, this one is quite good. Giving the characters new background stories is good. The animation is solid, and I quite frankly like the voice actors who are vocing the characters... too bad Snarf doesn't talk in this series, but well, what are going to do about it?

I was a little worried that the creative team would screw up with a couple of things (like the catchphrases and moves that the characters had in the original series), but I see that at least they kept that part original, and that's good because not only a new generation will be able to enjoy a quality cartoon, but the fans of the original series will like to at least watch it and compare it to the original. This also gives me hope that one of these days we will have a new version of series like the Swat Kats, Captain Planet, The Centurions, Sky Commanders, and even Wacky Races (I haven't lost hope to see a new show, even though the 2006 pilot was not to the producers tastes). I'll be waiting for the premiere, in order to review it.
I for one can't wait till they air. I was born after they stoped airing the Tundercats on TV but I heard a lot of good things about the show. And I think it's a good way of introducing new generations to good shows while still bringing something new for the old fans. But as I read most of the other coments here I begin to wonder was the show aired so long ago so you all turned into grumpy old men? Saying things like when I was young things were much better and the younger generations way of animation sucks. Why can't you just be happy that you and your children are getting another opportunity to watch one of your favourite shows.
As a child of the 80's growing up with thunder cats I was a little weary of a revamp of the series. But here is what i think now, it is 2011 and the generation that grew up watching thundercats is not the target audience of this new show. This show is for younger generation of kids who are seriously starving for quality animated shows that my generation grew up with (swat cats, centurions hell even space ghost was better than some of the stuff on now). My generation will always have the original thundercats, let the younger generation have there own.
Very saddened to see Lion-o bein all wussy and boy-like. Cheetara remains my boyhood furry crush though.
In the footage in terms of anime style its pretty good but not great looks like current anime, the guys are not that beefed up ( maybe because its set earlier than the original to make younger I guess )compared to the original, but cheetara new look is freaking hot. The two kids are OK also, not too different. How about Panthro will he be included in this series. overall I think I am going to give a try, and maybe the story give some greatness. I grew up watching this show, its nice to have a reboot once and a while which brings back memories.
Must they make everything anime?
@DannyRobson1 PS- Go back and look at that "campy" animation. The overall detail to the characters is 100x better then this crap. Seriously the animation here is basic human skeletal structure with ears, silted eyes, and coloring on the skin to make them feline. No attention to detail was put into this. Hell even the sword looks like ***
@DannyRobson1 It isn't a reboot. At 7:50 minutes in the King says the book told of the thundercats, our ancestors, who first defeated Mumm-Ra.
as a big fan of the original i'll be honest.... its not that bad for a modern reworking. if it ends up being bad i still have my dvd boxsets of the originals to fall back on too, so its a win-win situation in my eyes
Can Snarf not talk?!? that would be awful :(
I don't think this is a prequel. I'm pretty sure this takes place Hundreds of years after the original. Case in Point Mumra has always lived on Third earth and the mention their victory over him and he comes back in this one. Plus in the first preview they showed the Cats lair that they built on third earth was clearly visible. In any event I think this show looks great, the anime look is far superior to the campy animation of the mid 80's.
I prefer the original!!
Wow more crap generic animation on cartoon network. Never saw that coming...not. They don't even look like cats other then in the most basic of ways. And the anime hair. Really? I mean REALLY?
Looks too much like present day anime cartoons. I prefer the original
WilyKat looks great. Not too keen on WilyKit's look.
Lion-O's voice is a bit too weak, Tigra could do with bulking up a bit.
Cheetara is purrfect - where do I queue to become a Furry?