The Newsroom's First Season 2 Trailer Gets All Angsty in the Desert (VIDEO)

HBO sure was depressing last night. I'm certainly still reeling from  Game of Thrones, and I assume many of you are, too (I haven't read the books, so even though I expected a "big" episode, I had no idea what was coming). But I digress, because I'm really just trying to make a connection to this new trailer for The Newsroom that aired right *before* GoT; it's so ominous! I mean, not to the point where it could have prepared me for that, but it seems like the folks at ACN are suffering some dark times as well:

What do you make of all this alone-in-the-desert angst? Will is wandering around Joshua Tree and having visions of Neal throwing phones and McKenzie abandoning ship as that lady from ACN's parent company looms on a T.J. Eckleburg-style billboard and Charlie dejectedly raises his glass... because "together they all stand alone." The Newsroom's legion of hate-watchers will likely be quick to point out that we probably could've picked up on the basics of that message without having it spelled out for us, but hey, that's just how this show works, right? In any case, are you excited for Season 2?

Me, I stopped watching The Newsroom about halfway through Season 1, mostly because it started to feel like a bit of a chore and I had other stuff to do. But I'm willing to catch up, so you tell me: Should I?

P.S. That song is "Can't Pretend" by Tom Odell. Symbolism!

The Newsroom Season 2 premieres Sunday, July 14 on HBO.

Jul 14, 2013
Why is 'this video private?', when I can watch it on my home tv in Australia but not on this fastly devolving website!
Jun 15, 2013
you missed out then....catch up NOW
Jun 15, 2013
The Newsroom is definitely not Six feet Under, they should not try to make us believe that with those kind of promos.
Jun 04, 2013
You missed the best part of Season 1 by tuning out. Is your summer TV watching schedule so jammed with quality programming that you couldn't devote a little time to it?
Jun 04, 2013
I enjoyed season one but that trailer was a tad on the pretentious side... I know they are all actors and trained to pretend but i wonder did they feel like prats doing that promo?
Jun 04, 2013
Alright! I loved season 1 and will be definitely tuning in this summer! Pretty decent trailer as well btw.
Jun 04, 2013
Hmmm. I think I'll tune in. It's summer anyway. The Sorkin style preaching and amazing brain speeds of every single one of characters is a little tiresome. However, there are 4 actors who I really wanna watch and they do get to deliver some nice and smooth if far-fetched and sometimes ridiculous lines. Jeff Daniels, Emily Mortimer, Sam Waterston and Olivia Munn who's FANTASTIC in this.
Jun 04, 2013
I can only recommend this series to anyone who is only even remotely interested in politics and the role of media in that connection. It provides insight in what could have been delivered by news and journalists and makes a clear stand for honest and responsible journalism and news work with a "bite". What I really like is that - unlike most shows - it isn't afraid to touch politics as a theme and treats sometimes uneasy topics. The actors are doing a great job, even though I must say that this "love triangle" thing somehow made the first season lose its path a bit. They should have stayed in focus with their strenghts - and I hope they are able to find their way again in season 2. As journalism in front of real events, realitcly portrayed news work and political uneasy topics make a great blend for people who sometimes like to use what exists between their ears.
Jun 04, 2013
Stellar show. Can't wait for it to return. Amazing cast!!!

Oh and how awesome is it that I can actually view this trailer in Aussie!
Jun 04, 2013
I stopped watching the show myself 3/4 of the way through. I couldn't even finish this trailer for s.2. I found it to be about self righteous a$$holes talking to each other in robotically sped up and 'witty' banter. Supposedly about the dying cable news networks old people watch (60+), but mostly its terrible stereotypical love-triangle bs better fit on the old cw network. If you want to watch a tv show about tv shows, watch The Larry Sander Show (then j.o. to the huffington post)
Jun 04, 2013
I loved season 1 and you should definitely give season 2 a chance.

It's got elements that make for great TV - evil conspiracies by big corporations, love triangles/squares, neurotic and sometimes quirky characters, a crusading protagonist and Olivia Munn! Best. Econ. Teacher. Ever!
Jun 03, 2013
I love it, but I admit its probably a love it or hate it show. Though that love Aaron Sorkins dialog have a higher chance of liking it and the vocab and tempo is very similar to Studio 60 and West Wing. He even recycles some old lines and themes.

Some of my friends were actually offended by the show though, specifically because they were Tea Partiers and refused to accept certain risky comparisons.

It would be great if there was a love news show with that kind of integrity. Sadly I have to sit through Jin Stewart to get honest news.
Jun 04, 2013
You mean the "risky" comparison of the Tea Party and the Taliban? Sometimes accurate is "risky." That's kind of what the series is about.
Jun 04, 2013
Yeh, but it made a few friends' heads explode.

They completely ignored the bullet-point list he went through to repeat everything before that statement. About how they do this, and that, and the other thing. Which ultimately is what the Taliban do
Jun 03, 2013
I wouldn't recommend it. Watched season 1 only because there wasn't much else on at the time, but it felt like a bit of chore, as you said, and all the speechifying just got old and annoying. Don't know if I have the nerves/energy to hate watch season 2, especially after that trailer.
Jun 03, 2013
Jen, I think I watched the entire season 1 at the end, and I strongly advice you to pass on this one, specially since you dropped it once already. Sometimes shows gets "fixed", but here they would have to fire all the writers first, so there's a clue on how to decide. I will not be watching season 2. Last year I was sick far too often but now, as you expressed, I have better things to do (and better shows to watch or catch up with).
Jun 04, 2013
heh, you do know that there was a rumour/report that Sorkin did in fact fire all the writers at the end of the first season right!
Jun 04, 2013
You wish. Sounds like more wingnut bullsh*t to me.
watch it
Jun 03, 2013
Jen--Here's hoping you do catch up and do the season 2 reviews. There is a lot of ambiguous hate out there for this show, and I just don't see it. It's entertaining as Hell and way better than some of the crap the networks stopped giving us last month--I'm looking at you, The Following, Criminal Minds, The Mentalist and a host of others. It's a TV show people, not the Holy Grail be all end all of anything. As for the trailer, it got me going, and I will watch--not looking for anything but being entertained--TV snobs be damned...
Jun 04, 2013
I absolutely agree with you on all points.I will add that I am myself extremely political and sharing my views will probably sooner than later seriously aggravate otherwise people I consider as friends.So I have decided that since I am not a hypocrite and do not want to lose my friends here, that the Newsroom is to be watched but not discussed. As for snobbery, really we all have at least one show we hang around over our friends during coffee break or at parties; you all know this is true.I remember riubbing so many noses in the dirt with my vastly superior takes on Lost when it was airing. But then, all my friends and foe know that I am genius.....
Jun 03, 2013
I do think it is a really bad show, and I am still fighting to understand what you guys see on it. I wanted so much to like it, I was so happy to have a show with a news focus... but this is just not it. However, lucky you that can enjoy it! As lucky they are the ones that can enjoy those shows that you call crap from up there in your pedestal :)
Jun 04, 2013
Can't find the door on this damn pedestal!
Jun 04, 2013
I really want to like this show, as well. I was more interested in the news stories than the love triangles and angst.
Jun 03, 2013
Wouldn't you yourself be considered a TV snob making fun of The Following (which I can't say I blame you on!) and other shows people watch "not looking for anything but being entertained"?
Jun 03, 2013
Well, they're not really crap so much as they're not really great. How do I know? Because I watch them--with the exception of The Following, which is just plain bad. I don't think anyone is ever wrong or stupid for what they like--and there is a lot of snobbery on here. Criminal Minds has declined seriously over the past few years, but I still watch. I never considered The Mentalist good--that whole CBI nonsense--but I do like Simon Baker and the rest. Patrick Jane is just not that believable that he acts as he does and they let him--and don't get me started on Red John. But I still watch that too, and sometimes it's actually good--but I never count on it...
Jun 04, 2013
I know what you meant I was mostly playing! I watch plenty of shows that critics are into and other shows that I know are kind of garbage but still make me happy and hold my interest! I know what you mean about Red John though, I'm like 10 episodes into season 2 (he just killed Lisbon's old partner) and he's already gotten old. Also if Lisbon and Jane are the end game for this I'm going to be very disappointed!
Jun 04, 2013
Murderboy: I'm not getting the option to reply to yours so I'm going to reply to myself and hope you see it! I just don't think they have a lot of chemistry and where I am in the series his still all crazy about his dead wife/child! I think it would just be an easy way out.
Jun 04, 2013
You, uh, mean together? Aw, what the hell...
Jun 04, 2013
Be like me, don't expect much and you won't be disappointed...
Jun 03, 2013
If they tone down McKenzie from being the in-the-right-yap-dog and take the foot off've the gas on the philosophy weekly lecture it'd be appreciated.
The show sits in hindsight omniscience and gets way OTT in its beating the viewer over the bonse with the right thing and, no doubt lost many along the way quickly. You can only chant The Golden Rule in so many ways and so many times at someone before they pick up that text and knock you into next week with it. For this alone, Will's character needs a pulitzer/Pardon.
If you found the first season a chore, I doubt this will do you any favours, that is unless your moral sense of self-indignation needs a topup.
Jun 03, 2013
Nailed it, don't need a sermon on Journalism every second episode. No ethics anymore in media we get it, let's see a dirty fight for standards :-). Jeff Daniels and that blow up rant at the university got me hooked, that was gold, so can't help but watch. He's kicked ass in so many roles, the rest of the cast is talented but it feels like the writers are forcing them into stereotypes like those shape puzzles putting the square block in the round shaped hole.
Jun 04, 2013
Have you watched the news lately? It's corporate pablum designed to make the viewer think that the truth needs to be balanced by right-wing lies. All that time spent on the Boston bombings and almost NO exposure of the fact that it was lack of government safety regulations that wiped out an entire Texas town. This show is right on the money, whether you like it or not.
Jun 04, 2013
As much as I like both Jeff Daniels and Aaron Sorkin, the rant at university was a rehashing of Judd Hirsch's rant in Studio 60's first episode.
Jun 03, 2013
could not have said it better - I also got hooked after the university scene and kept waiting for more, but there was no more - they make them talk at gilmore girls speed and say totally unnatural things, which could work for other shows, but if you are trying to speak the truth, it just won't do.
Jun 03, 2013
It is quite true that the peachiness is a bit OTT, but this is not the real world. In the real world, most people go home and forget about their jobs and enjoy their lives. Cops, Lawyers, News people--most TV shows about these careers are about overly dedicated people, who are not in such abundance in the real world. I like they way The Good Wife portrays lawyers, as real people, who react properly to the priorities of life. If they need to be there, they're there, but they bitch about it as normal folks do...
Jun 03, 2013
They couldn't find a TV built after 2005?
Jun 03, 2013
I was a big fan of season 1, so really looking forward to s2. Did you reach the episode about Japan? Olivia Munn was amazing!
Jun 03, 2013
It reminded of an old Lost trailer, especially the last shot of them all standing there.
Jun 03, 2013
You definitely should pick it back up! I was also kind of going through the motions with the first few episodes, but the second half of the season is some of the best television I have ever seen!
Jun 03, 2013
You really should catch up on it. I loved Season 1 and I'm really looking forward to Season 2. This trailer is pretty strange, though, but somehow it fits the show.
Jun 03, 2013
I love the show. Yes, the personal lives of the cast are sometimes overbearingly cutesy and contrived, but when the show is in news-mode, IT IS SO GOOD. Much better than any mainstream news channel is these days.

I like to close my eyes and pretend that it's real, that our media still has balls to speak the truth like it does here. Can't wait for season 2, hopefully they tone down the hysterical humor.
Jun 03, 2013
Great show, great cast. Really makes the summer programming something nice. Cable shows are really owning network at the moment!
Jun 03, 2013
You should! A lot of potential!
Jun 03, 2013
Great show. Looking forward to it coming back.

• 7:00 pm