The Post-Upfronts Questionnaire: Which New Shows and Network Strategies Look the Best?

One of most fun parts of the Upfronts—scratch that THE most fun part of Upfronts—is seeing the trailers for the new series that are headed our way this fall and examining network schedules, then comparing your initial reactions to them with your friends'. I don't have any friends, but I do have some co-workers! Last week, after all five networks had released their trailers, I passed around a questionnaire to the writers and editors of TV.com to gauge their interest on the new fall shows based on the videos alone, and I also everyone to name which networks they think made the best and worst decisions.

There's no science to this, it's just a sweeping poll to figure out what we're all interested in. But I also want to know what shows YOU think look good and what network moves YOU think are the best, so I've added polls to each category and fully expect you to answer them.

If you haven't watched the all the new-show trailers, check 'em out here:

ABC | CBS | The CW | FOX | NBC

And here's a look at next season's schedule for the major networks.

BEST LOOKING ABC SHOW

Tim: Mind Games
Jen: Mind Games
Cory: The Goldbergs
Noel: Lucky 7
Andy: Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
MaryAnn: Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Ryan: The Goldbergs

Ryan: The Originals

BEST LOOKING OVERALL SHOW

Tim: Almost Human
Jen: Mind Games
Cory: Almost Human
Noel: The Michael J. Fox Show
Andy: Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
MaryAnn: Almost Human
Ryan: Brooklyn Nine-Nine

WORST LOOKING OVERALL SHOW

Tim: Dads
Jen: The Millers
Cory: Sleepy Hollow
Noel: Sleepy Hollow
Andy: Dads
MaryAnn: Dads
Ryan: The Millers

MOST DIFFICULT TIME SLOT, PERSONALLY (AS IN YOU CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT TO WATCH)

Tim: Tuesdays at 10pm! Person of Interest vs. Lucky 7 vs. Sons of Anarchy
Jen: Sundays! But mostly because of the cable bottleneck.
Cory: Tuesdays at 8pm! The Originals vs. Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Noel: N/A
Andy: Tuesdays at 8pm! S.H.I.E.L.D. vs. The Originals vs. Brooklyn Nine-Nine
MaryAnn: Tuesdays at 9pm! Hunky Winchesters of Supernatural or quirky New Girl?
Ryan: Tuesdays at 8pm! Brooklyn Nine-Nine or Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

BEST NETWORK STRATEGY

Tim: Fox's limited-run event series (when they happen, that is)
Jen: Anyone who is doing limited-run series and shorter seasons.
Cory: CBS expanding its Thursday comedy block to two hours
Noel: Fox's effort for shorter seasons
Andy: NBC moving Parenthood to Thursdays at 10pm
MaryAnn: The CW's smart pairings and the push into genre shows
Ryan: ABC's all-new Tuesdays, with S.H.I.E.L.D. and the promising The Goldbergs

WORST NETWORK STRATEGY

Tim: ABC's all-new lineup against CBS's most-watched evening
Jen: ABC's all-new lineup against CBS's triple threat of NCIS, NCIS: LA, and POI
Cory: ABC putting Once Upon a Time in Wonderland in the poisonous Thursday 8pm timeslot
Noel: ABC's Tuesdays, but they didn't really have a choice
Andy: ABC thinking Revenge still belongs on Sundays
MaryAnn: NBC, everything!
Ryan: NBC following sing-song The Voice with serious thriller The Blacklist

Feel free to share your own answers in the comments!

Upfronts 2013 HQ:
New Shows, Network Schedules, Video Previews, and More

Biggest night tuesdays. Dvr's sells will go through the roof, becarefull overheatiing
By far the biggest night will be Tuesdays. I wouldn't say that SHIELD has the best looking chances, but it will be interesting to see what happens. NCIS is about the biggest thing on TV right now, but it also aims at an older audience. If SHIELD does succeed it will do so by drawing upon the younger viewers. And it could take a bite out of NCIS simply because the show has been on so long that some viewers may be starting to tire of it. The also will feel that watching SHIELD isn't going to damage NCIS badly enough for it to be pulled. But are those younger viewers Vampire Diaries fans?

The Michael J. Fox Show will likely draw a lot of initial viewers out of curiosity but will people really feel comfortable laughing at someone with Parkinson's? It's interesting that there's such a split between the staff and the forum users.
Excited about The Tomorrow People, The 100, Sleepy Hollow and Star-Crossed. Worried that The Originals will get crushed into oblivion by SHIELD and NCIS. I think that The 100 and Star-Crossed will get canceled because they're midseason shows since The CW hasn't had much luck with midseason shows (except TCD).
the limited run series idea gives networks a chance to change things up without being committed to 9 months of the same show with substantial breaks in between episodes for Christmas, baseball, NASCAR, etc.
Shows I am looking forward to are
1) Sleepy Hollow
2) The Blacklist
3) The Tomorrow People
4) Resurrection

Shows I am kind interested
1) Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D
2) Hostages
3) Intelligence
4) Betrayal

Shows which are not what I expected and are a big let down (but I try it once)
1) Once Upon A Time Wonderland
2) Mind Games

Shows that look like crap (which the could not pay me to watch :) )
1) Rake
2) The 100
3) Ironside
4) Star Crossed
5) Almost Human
I chose "other" on ABC because Mistresses looks great! haha sorry I'm a sucker for them shows!
since the producers of once upon a time are the same for once upon a time in wonderland, do u think that Cora is the queen of hearts ? that would make me watch this one
It looks like that it is not the case unfortunately
They are basing the show on the second book of Lewis Carroll "Through the Looking-Glass" the sequel to "Alice in Wonderland"
where there is a Red Queen and not the Queen Of Hearts
which is Cora
This show is a big let down to me but I give it a chance

too bad :(
Who cares about schedule conflicts anymore? DVR and Piratebay dudes! :p
Thank you for pointing that out, people are all acting like its the 19th century or something.
or they're just pretending not to use torrents >_>
+1 on that one. from France
I just watched every CBS trailer and I am SO excited for what the network is bringing to the table next fall. Can't wait for premiere season!
Well, the only show I' m really looking forward to is The Tomorrow People on the CW (which says a lot about how horrible network shows have become; plus I'm past the age of their target demographic.) I also think I might be the only one here interested in Betrayal on ABC (not because of the cheating/affair, but because it revolves around a murder.) Also, is it just me, or has the definition of "comedy" changed? It used to mean "funny", now it means "stupid and annoying." EVERY one of those trailers was horrendous. The last network comedy I remember watching (and actaully laughing at) was Titus, which aired on FOX more than 10 years ago.
These guesses are just based on which shows I think will actually be the best, not whether I will watch them, or even like them myself.
ABC: Mind Games.
FOX: Rake. (This was a tough call.)
NBC: The Michael J. Fox Show.
CBS: Intelligence. (What a giant miss of a line-up this year, CBS. Luckily you have old shows to rely on.)
CW: The 100 (How do you choose the best turd out of many? By smell? By taste?)
Best overall: Rake. (Yeah, you better believe it. That's my choice.)
Worst overall: Dads. (Wasn't an easy choice to pick the right needle out of a stack of needles.)
Most difficult time slot, personally: When it comes to network TV, none are really that difficult. So I have to go with Sunday, just because of the massive herd of shows that are unleashed by cable channels that day.
Best network strategy: Fox's push toward shorter seasons. (This development has been a long time coming.)
Worst network strategy: ABC's all-new lineup against CBS's. (Dangerous. Bold, but dangerous.)

Final verdict: It'll be very tough to choose a Deadpool next autumn. So many shows that might or might not work, and so many old shows left that might or might not continue their success.
I am having a hard time reading this without using Archer's voice in my head
To do that you need to get into the right mindset, a zone...the Danger zone!
You're not my supervisor!!!!
I don't know what to say... I've watched the trailers and some shows look nice but as usual I'll wait after the 4 episodes line to decide... so I'll start the season with a lot to watch and end it with not so much left between the cancellations and what I didn't like... I'm wondering what is the percentage of shows that "survived" their first season in 2012/2013???
i'd like to put that none of the CW shows look good....:D
I guess that's why they renewed Beauty and the Beast. While we were wondering what's going on, they already knew their upcoming lineup sucked.
sucked to the point that they renewed beauty and the beast....!!! that's how little faith they have in their fall lineup hahahaha
schedule conflict? what's a "schedule conflict"? Is there some reason I can't watch any show I want when I want to watch it?
Is anyone else really disappointed with this upcoming season? This time last year I was looking forward to 666 Park Avenue, Nashville, Arrow, Cult, The Following, Deception, Hannibal and Revolution. Granted I only ended up watching four of those shows, but there was just so much more to get excited about last season.

This year I'm only definitely watching SHIELD. I'm usually willing to tune into anything science-fiction/ fantasy related but from what's on offer I'm feeling a little lacklasture about all of them. Usually The CW gives me something to get excited about, but while I'll watch the The Originals, it's not exactly, ah, original. The 100 is giving me a bad Revolution feeling, and I'll admit The Tomorrow People looks okay but it really has all been done before in that department. I'm not loving what I'm seeing from Almost Human and Sleepy Hollow either, nor Dracula. These are shows I would all normally check out, I'm hoping the trailers were just bad.

On the drama front, The Blacklist looks good, not something I'd usually watch, but maybe with my preferred genre seemingly letting me down this year I might check it out.

I never watch comdies from the get go, I wait a season or two, see what lasts, and listen out for good buzz to choose whether or not I watch them. And can you blame me, they all look unfunny or just plain horrible from the trailers. I'll only watch The Crazy Ones for SMG, but I'm afraid I overdosed on Robin Williams within the first minute of the trailer so I doubt I'll stick with it. Sitcom soft spot though, I actually didn't mind the Sean Saves The World trailer *Don't judge me!*
Last year was probably the worst pilot season I remember since I started being a fan of TV shows (started about 4 years ago, late bloomer). I found it really difficult that I had to wait 4-5 months after the showing of trailers, only to realize that the shows I would see are about guys with kids, monkey assistants, "people" crying from their ears, and mob doctors for pete's sake. The highlight of the season was probably Arrow (cool action sequences, but the dialogue, it burns!!).

This pilot season is not the greatest, but it is far and away better than last year (my opinion). But kinda bummed that Seth Green, Will Arnett, and Margo Martindale chose to star in multi-cam shows. Horrible ones at that
Last year I think it was a little bit easier to see which shows were going to make it and which were not. But this year I feel it's nearly impossible. The line-up is really even. Yes, some shows are obviously better than others, but most of the good shows seem to be of the kind that won't interest people and will crash and burn as a result, while some of the bad ones might actually find an audience. I predict that many really good new shows will die this autumn.
I think this year looks better than last year, which was pretty bad. In my opinion, Arrow was the best of the new shows on the non-cable, non-internet networks. But it's just OK, not really good. I didn't look forward to anything last year, except maybe Last Resort, which started out OK and then turned to ****.
How about an article and a poll about the best and worst new shows of the past year (2013-2014 season)? I need a place to go on a crazy rant about how much I hated Hemlock Grove. (So don't forget Netflix).
Everybody hated Hemlock Grove, but look to the bright side, Arrested Development on Sunday!!!!!
OMG I just blue myself.
Do you mean 2012-2013 season?
OMG, I can't get anything right these days. (I'm the one who said the other day that June 30 is less than two weeks away). Yes, thank you. I meant 2012-2013.
Oh good, I was worried I'd missed a whole year of my life there! Phew...
Don't watch trailers personally, can't stand spoilers, a show's premise is usually enough for me to know whether to give it a chance or not, if I'm undecided I wait to see if it gets a second season before catching up on the first. As for difficult timeslots, no such thing with modern technology such as DVR/Internet :)
For me, the 'difficult time slot' issue has nothing to do with missing a show. Like you, I just DVR whatever I miss. The problem is the ratings. For instance, Tuesday at 8...I am interested in The Originals and SHIELD. I hope they are both great shows, but when pitted against the unbeatable NCIS, the chances of them surviving are not good. You can't DVR a show that has been cancelled due to bad ratings and you can't tune in for all three to ensure they get good ratings.
That's kind of me as well. Yes, I have a DVR but when you combine our household cable watchings, those 4 shows available to record get swallowed up fast. And since executives and the Nielsens still aren't fully on board with counting DVR ratings into the equation, there are a few shows I do make an effort to watch live and suffer through commercials. So I still find myself with difficult time slots here and there.
I'd be interested in knowing what you're looking forward to then, just based off of the loglines you've read. Would be intertesting to see how much it differs from what people who have watched the trailers are looking forward to.
That's easy, anything Sci-fi, anything cop, most drama, some comedy ;)
Black list! Even though the trailer seemed to give away the entire pilot.
Best Looking ABC: Marvel's Agents of SHIELD and Mind Games CBS: Crazy Ones and Intelligence NBC: The Blacklist FOX: Almost Human CW: The Tomorrow People
Best Looking ABC: Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. CBS: Intelligence NBC: The Blacklist FOX: Sleepy Hollow and CW: The Tomorrow People
The Blacklist and Brooklyn Nine Nine are all that stuck with me after watching the trailers last week...and that's all that needs to be said at this point (and S.H.I.E.L.D.)...but that doesn't mean i won't watch every single new pilot and look forward to it!
What's this about short seasons/events? I haven't heard about this trend. I'm already not feeling it, just because less never feels satisfying and because TV doesn't have a habit of producing quality programming when it doesn't have all that room in which to expand. Guess it really depends on the subject matter, though. We'll see if anything catches my eye.
The biggest plus for me in terms of Fox's Events is that it allows 24 to come back (even if it is for a limited time), and in a format that's half way between a regular TV series and a movie, making allowing it to flesh out the story more than a movie would allow, and hopefully let them get rid of the filler that would be there in a full season, to make a tighter story. For any other Event, I'll have to see more of them to make up my mind. I can see it as a good thing if there's a story which would be better told as a limited series instead of trying to stretch it out for a full series. For example, I think this would be a great format for CBS' Hostages, which I can't really see working past the first season.
I'm surprised at how little attention is payed to The Blacklist--definitely NBC's best new show (and the best overall new show) with Michael J. Fox's show coming in second. As for the best for each network, I'd go with ABC's Shield, Almost Human on Fox, and The Crazy Ones on CBS plus the above mention of The Blacklist on NBC.

I might be in the minority, but based on the trailer, Brooklyn 99 doesn't look that funny...maybe it's because I viewed the trailer right after viewing the "Dads" one, but it doesn't look like it would be very funny. On another note, "Mom" starring Anna Farris looks like it has potential, even though a lot of people on this site dislike laugh-track sitcoms, and could be a relatively good show (though I think I'm the only one around with that opinion.) The worst show for me is Super Fun Night, but oh lord were many of those comedy trailers awful.
lcan't believe anyone said sleepy hllow looks like the worst show. but those same people are looking forward to the originals and the millers so ...perspective.

also "best looking CW show" should an N/A option

abc shoud have a back in the game option rather than it going under other
Those are the same people who last year love "The Last Resort" crap
I was all for the CW splitting up TVD and the Originals, but Once Upon A Time and Wonderland really belong together. Especially when you consider that Revenge would be much better paired with Scandal and Grey's Anatomy.
This is interesting, do I vote on what I want to watch most or what "looks best"? They aren't the same thing. I guess what I want to watch.

ABC, oh man, not good. Tim and Jen's ABC choice didn't ring a bell by title, and it's one I was actually looking forward to until the trailer pushed it out of my mind. Part of me says SHIELD because [insert obvious geek response here], but part of me says it doesn't look as great as it could. Part of me wants to say Mind Games with the cool kids, but the trailer looked like a cross between Lie to Me and Leverage, and Christian Slater's character seems to not do anything there unfortunately. I'll say SHIELD I guess, but it was closer than I thought.

Fox, I'm pared down to Almost Human and Sleepy Hollow, both look flawed but look like they could be decent right before they get canceled by the network. Sleepy Hollow looked like it wasn't going to work on paper, but the trailer didn't really match what was on paper so it looked like it could work, also it doesn't have to reinvent the whole world, just flashback bits. I guess I'll say Sleepy Hollow looks "the best" but I want to see Almost Human most of the Fox shows.

NBC, it's a toss-up between the staff favorite and Dracula (nobody is more shocked by that than me), but Michael J. Fox Show has better odds of staying on the air (it's cheaper) and is more my speed, while Dracula "looks better" but probably won't keep my attention, so I'll give it Alex P. Keaton my vote.

CBS, I'm with Jen, The Crazy Ones just has so much Robin Williams doing something funny in a premise that allows him a lot of places to go, and it looks sharp. Intelligence looks "the best" in the way that it's supposed to, slick action drama, but the premise has been done with Alphas so I'm not sure I want to see it done again. Stunned by votes for The Millers, a great cast does not redeem that horrible trailer.

Oh The CW, your selection was so bad I forgot to actually watch the videos until now. They all look pretty weak, but The Tomorrow People look at least remotely like something watchable.

Your overall choices are surprisingly spread out, for me it's SHIELD because nothing else in this season's upfronts has gotten me to the wow-neat point.

Worst show is a real toss-up, the staff is mostly torn along the same lines I am, Dads vs The Millers, although NBC's Welcome to the Family was also quite grating, CBS's "Mom" got on my nerves so bad, The CW still exists, and ABC... well, half their lineup really (Killer Women, Mixology, Betrayal, Super Fun Night). Dads looks like it was canceled the moment the first frame was captured in-camera but it's doing exactly what it set out to by being a generic Fox series; The Millers did pretty badly with such a good cast that it looks less than the sum of its parts, by wasting talent that drastically it gets my vote as worst.

Biggest Time Slot Conflict is not a complete question because we don't have the cable schedules in place yet. Noel apparently has The Hopper. I'll vote Tuesday because of the acronym showdown that is NCIS vs SHIELD, but I suspect cable will change that to Mondays.

Best Network Strategy goes to CBS staying king of the hill and even moving to take more weak territory for its own greed.

Oh god, WORST Network Strategy? ABC might be taking a big risk on all-new Tuesday, but Tuesday's already soft on audiences that aren't into CBS crime shows so that's ripe for the taking. No, it's got to be NBC's continued inability to keep from tripping over itself.
Cable has also made my Wednesdays really rough now that I think about it, actually I'm going to change my vote now because I just know there's going to be 2 DVRed shows and 1 live show AND 1 or even 2 shows that gets picked up on their late-night rerun just like there was last season.
you missed "which netowrk has the largest number of new shows you're looking forward to" FOX!!
Best Looking:
Fox: Almost Human, by far I'll give B99 a chance, but Almost Human is the only Fox show I'm already sold on.
NBC: Michael J. Fox Show and Blacklist, but I won't even watch Blacklist, but looks high quality.
ABC: SHIELD looks great, but OUATiW and Mind Games also look good. None of the comedies are doing it for me.
CBS: The Crazy Ones, and I'll give Intelligence a chance.

Best Overall: I'll give it to Almost Human, with SHIELD in second.
Worst Overall: Dads, hard to believe that was a question.
Difficult time slot: Tuesday SHIELD vs NCIS, and Thursdays ABC vs CBS vs NBC
Best Strategy: ABC dividing its dramas into two 12 episode periods.
Worst Strategy: ABC Tuesdays and putting a potentially good show, once again, on Thursdays at 8pm. Ugh.
Seriously !!
you all think Robo cop is the best show ???
The Tomorrow Poeple all the way !!!!
S.H.I.E.L.D. frankly is getting all the attention because it's the spin off of a very popular movie. Since they're being a little secretive about the whole thing overall, the only real thing I can say about it is it looks like a version of Heros or Alphas. It has the names to launch it, but let's just say I'm seriously hoping that's not the only thing they're relying on.

As for The Blacklist, it's the show I'm excited for. I loved James Spader as Alan Shore in Boston Legal (And his new character seems to have a touch of that flare) and the show on it's own looks like White Collar meets Silence of the Lambs.
Best looking
Fox- Brooklyn Nine Nine on the comedy side with Sleepy Hollow on the drama side
NBC- MJF show, and The Blacklist for dramas, but I'm more interested overall in the mid season ones
ABC- None of the comedies are doing it for me, but I like Mind Games and Resurrection
CBS- The Crazy Ones and Hostages are the only ones here I like, but I may try Intelligence

The worst overall is definately Dads.....just no
ABC's best is easily Agents of SHIELD. For Fox, I'd give it to Almost Human. Though, I've got to say, I actually liked the trailer for Sleepy Hollow much more than I expected to after hearing that it revolved around a resurrected Ichabod Crane in a modern time. NBC's is The Michael J. Fox Show (though I'm worried that, if I get into the show, NBC will cancel it like they did with Go On). Intelligence looks like the best CBS show. The Tomorrow People easily looks like the best CW show. And Agents of SHIELD looks like the best overall.
ABC - Tie between SHIELD and Mind Games, but I gave my vote to SHIELD because I'm more likely to watch that from the get go. My fear of cancellation will probably make me hold out on Mind Games until I hear how it's doing.

FOX - Almost Human. Love both of the main actors in it.

NBC - Uh... I couldn't remember what any of them were about?

CBS - Crazy Ones was the only decent looking show to me.

CW - The Tomorrow People. Superpowers? You got me.

BEST - I'm most excited for SHIELD. But... Guh, I hate FOX, but Almost Human looks really good...

WORST - I just went with everybody else and said Dads. I can't remember most of the ones on the list, lol.

DIFFICULT - Tuesdays. Still think Grimm should be in that mix, though. Stupid, NBC.

BEST STRAT - ABC's Tuesday lineup. Just looks really solid to me.

WORST STRAT - Why is FOX pushing Sleepy Hollow over Almost Human? No sense is made.
ABC - Tie between SHIELD and Mind Games. Both weren't all that impressive-looking, but they were both significantly better than the others.

FOX - Almost Human, but I didn't like the trailer all that much.

NBC - The Michael J. Fox Show

CBS - Tie. I hated all the trailers.

CW - The Tomorrow People

Worst looking - Dads. But part of that is the disappointment I feel in seeing a good cast be a part of such a stupid looking show. In fairness, Sean Saves the World probably sucked more, but my expectations were sooooo low for that one.

Worst Network Strategy -- ALL OF THEM FOR ALL OF THEIR CRAPPY NEW SITCOMS. Okay, The Michael J. Fox Show and Brooklyn Nine Nine might be kinda fun, and the Crazy Ones might be okay, and at least Cory and Ryan seem to like The Goldbergs -- which looks crappy to me -- but Mom? Dads? We Are Men? Trophy Wife? Back in the Game? Enlisted? Super Fun Night? Mixology? The Millers? Welcome to the Family? Sean Saves the World?! Ugh. So many options of next year's Dead Pool (assuming you do em again). These are the kinds of shows Happy Endings, The B in 23, Go On, and even Ben & Kate had to be canceled for?
Here's the trailer for NBC's Crisis if anyone is interested!
The trailer for NBC's Believe is also out!
The really weird part of this upfront for me is that while I usually agree with you guys on lots of things, you all seem to believe Sleepy Hollow is going to be the worst new show of this fall, while the trailer made me think it'd be fun to watch. And there hasn't been a lot of trailers doing that for me this year.

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD is an absolute favorite, but I may be slightly biased. #CoulsonLives
Sleepy Hollow is best new upcoming show
I saw the trailer and I was hooked
I agree with you about the trailer for Sleepy Hollow. I had absolutely no intention of watching it and I couldn't care less about the premise, but the trailer made it seem pretty damn fun. Maybe my low expectations played a part, but I felt the trailer was good enough to make me watch an episode or two. Of course, it could still suck very much, but the trailer seemed fine.
Yep same, the logline sounded like a total bore to me but the trailer actually got me interested to giving this a chance.