The River is Ridiculous(ly Fun)

When it comes to mockumentaries there are two types of people: those who can easily accept the fakery and those who can't help but pick it apart. I'm in the second camp and I'm not proud of it. I just can't shut off the part of my brain that asks, "Why is there a camera inside the closet? Who is filming this intimate conversation between two characters? How long do those camera batteries last, anyway?" But I don't think this mindset is necessarily my fault. Found footage as a device is meant to somehow circumvent our suspension of disbelief by declaring "This happened for real," thereby practically daring us to find faults that we wouldn't look for if we were watching something that was filmed traditionally. For me a mockumentary has to be especially well-made and believable in order for me to look past logistics and get into the experience, and movies like Blair Witch Project, [REC], and Paranormal Activity have all (mostly) achieved that. The River, in contrast, is as insanely unbelievable a mockumentary as I've ever seen. Seriously, I've seen episodes of CSI: Miami that have seemed more plausible as found footage than this thing. Somehow, though, it still works!

The River centers on Dr. Emmet Cole, the missing host of a long-running nature program (think Steve Irwin) and a team of adventurers who are searching for him deep in the heart of the Amazon. Headed up by Cole's steely wife Tess (think Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio from The Abyss) and his bitter, humorless son Lincoln (think Gareth from the U.K. The Office), the group also includes a shady TV producer and his camera crew who seem much more concerned with filming America's next big hit than with actually recovering Cole. The team is rounded out by a hilariously tough German mercenary with a suitcase full of guns, the gorgeous blonde daughter of an also-missing cameraman, a salty mechanic and his psychic daughter, and a metric ton of raw footage left behind by the original crew. The characters are mostly unmemorable in a horror movie archetype sort of way and in the case of Lincoln, exceptionally unappealing. (Seriously, casting directors?)

But whichever ABC executive decided to premiere the first two episodes of The River on the same night deserves a raise. While the pilot does a serviceable job of setting up the premise and providing a good scare or two, the fact is it was sort of lousy? No, it was very lousy. It had a bad case of pilot-itis in which the story regularly ground to a halt so that we could have some expository "know your main characters" moments that would never, ever have been filmed by a documentary crew, or, you know, spoken aloud by actual human beings. Impossibly ham-fisted and poorly acted scenes kept transpiring between Lincoln and his mother about whether the father was even alive, why exactly they came to the Amazon, and whether Tess had been faithful in her marriage. Those sorts of scenes MIGHT fly if this were just a traditionally filmed drama, but they rang incredibly, jarringly false in the found footage premise. Just awkward.

Fortunately the pilot got down and dirty pretty quickly after the discovery of Emmet Cole's riverboat (the Magus) deep in a forbidden, off-the-map area of the Amazon. Apparently the Magus was equipped with seemingly hundreds of fully operational (and mic'd) security cameras in every room and on every surface—seriously, I counted at least eight different angles in Cole's quarters alone, including a camera mounted inside his closet. There was also a camera mounted to a spotlight on the hull as well as many attached to doors? It's the kind of set-up that the producers of Big Brother might call overkill. While it wasn't quite explained exactly why a nature documentary crew might need THAT much coverage (was there an After Dark version of the nature show airing on Cinemax?), it came in handy when the supernatural elements came into play. Upon arrival aboard the Magus, Tess and her team immediately heard spooky noises below deck and discovered a compartment that had been welded shut from the outside. After instantaneously leaping to the conclusion that Emmet Cole was probably inside (what?) the team cut their way through the door only to discover a tiny wooden casket filled to the brim with ANGRY BANSHEE. Which then escaped.

After several acts of our characters running around the ship avoiding a whooshing black entity (with lighthearted banter in between encounters), the psychic daughter of the salty mechanic broke down the monster's backstory. It was a disembodied spirit of a former crewman whose improper burial loosed a blood-thirsty apparition into the jungle. After Lincoln sliced his palm to entice it, he trapped it back inside the tiny coffin and threw it overboard, but not before the spirit helpfully communicated to Tess that her husband was indeed alive. Proof! Anyway, it all sounds so dumb to talk about, but the real value of the episode was in the creepy footage of people being terrorized by an unseen spook. As fake as the concept was, it wasn't hard to get into the terror they were experiencing.

Whereas the pilot was laughable but occasionally entertaining, the second episode was truly great. Not only did it tone down the awkward exposition and feel more organic in style, the supernatural threat was significantly scarier. I mean, come on:

The episode began with a frightening sequence straight out of Paranormal Activity (whose director Oren Peli is an executive producer here), in which Jahel became possessed by the spirit of Emmet Cole via a dragonfly that crawled into her mouth as she slept. Then she stalked the boat watching people sleep and then finally woke up Tess by speaking in a man's voice. Yikes! But that wasn't the truly scary part of the episode. Later in the jungle the team came across a graveyard left by some 19th century English explorers and then decided to camp out beneath a tree covered in hundreds of DOLLS:

And p.s. some of those dolls MOVED:

After unseen spirits rattled them in the night (the use of fast-forwarded footage was another call back to Paranormal Activity) the team ended up high-tailing it into the darkness only to find themselves running in circles and getting attacked by THIS thing:

Then, in a very Poltergeist moment, Tess was dragged into a hole in the creek bed and she disappeared into an otherwordly ether. That's when Lincoln realized he could only get his mom back by trading the evil little girl spirit the bones of her dead mother. That's right, Lincoln dug up one of the explorers' graves and carried a desiccated corpse into the river as an offering. The entire sequence was capped off by an awesome scene of Tess crawling out of the muddy grave to return to them. SO GOOD.

The events of the second episode were so exciting that I barely ever considered the production logistics; I was just too wrapped up in the nonstop nightmare imagery. So that's a huge credit to the episode's entertainment value right there. Suddenly The River went from a slightly cringe-worthy chore to something I can't wait to watch every week. Add to that the knowledge that this season is only eight episodes long (which means they've hopefully got the stories thoroughly mapped out in a satisfying way), plus the tantalizing promise that each episode will feature a new supernatural element. Found footage is nothing new to the horror genre, but it's certainly new to network television. Regardless of its occasionally spotty logistical flaws, The River deserves huge points for being one of the gutsiest concepts ever broadcast on ABC. I don't know about you, but I'm definitely on board for THIS trip:

QUESTIONS:

... Did you enjoy The River?

... Are you the kind of person who can look past a mockumentary's logistics and enjoy the show, or do you feel compelled to pick it apart?

... Who's your favorite character so far?

... How many hidden cameras are necessary in a single bedroom?

I thought it was allright. Not great and not trash, so I will give it another go. BUT te one thing that happens A LOT in TV and movies from the States is that whenever they have a scene or a plot that is in Brazil, they put people speaking Spanish wich is NOT our labguage (Yes, I'm from Brazil) instead of Portuguese. For me it takes out a big part of the veracity of the whole thing!
I enjoyed it. Im gonna pick it apart just a bit cause it always buffles me the ignorance in Hollywood about this subject: why is Lincoln speaking in spanish when the ship is resupplying in a village? I know that the Amazon covers several latin countries but the mayority is in Brazil, so Im gonna guess that theyre traveling this country in which the language is portuguese!!
Fully irritated by the stupid beeps when they talk, and the mouth covering squares when those beep occur. :( One more time and this series is done for me.
Watched the first half hour, or just after that thing flew from the panic room. I then realised it wasn't going to get any better and turned it off!
I'm digging this show but I get dizzy after 1 hour. Let's not do 2 hours again please. Also, the dolls episode was taken straight from an episode of Destination Truth. It was a lot creepier on Destination Truth also.
I enjoyed first two episodes. While it was little bit disappointment i think that is still pretty good and fun show. Definitely will keep watching. Shame that ratings sucks, hope there is at least some closure in eighth episode.
I definitely preferred the second episode to the first, but I really enjoyed it overall. The mix of horror and drama is actually pretty good, and the action is superb. The spirit tree and the dolls reminded me of something I saw on Destination Truth a long while ago, and it was just as creepy in this as it was in that. It definitely gets a series recording on my DVR.
It was. I thought it was the same episode too when the cameraman was taunting it to open its eyes.
There might be a more boring show than this piece of cr*p somewhere, but I haven't seen it.
I really enjoyed the first two episodes and think they set up the series nicely! I can look past the logistics, though I didn't see that much problem, the boat was already set up for reality show, hidden cameras are to be expected, but I don't need to pick it apart.

I really like Jahel and Lincoln.

As many as you can hide, its all about angles!

I love the concept of the show, and the premise that there is magic out there, and the whole paranormal activity feel is great! I certainly look forward to seeing where the River leads, and I plan to stick with it as this seems original with some hints of things which have been done before, but with a different twist.
The River was fantastic! They not only replicated the Paranormal Activity feel, but also feed on lots of other fears, like attacking dolls. There were things characters did that didn't make much sense, but I was so drawn in by the supernatural elements that I didn't care. But why did the security guy block the camera's lens to make a phone call, does he not realize that audio and video are completely different? Anyways...my favorite character is the River itself. I love the shot when the camera pulls away and we see the labyrinth that is the River.
Ugh. I never thought I'd hate Leslie Hope in a role more than I hated Teri Bauer, but Tess Cole almost ruined this show for me.

Reasonably, these episodes weren't "good." There were too many cliches, the number of cameras was sometimes bothersome (there were about 10 different angles of Lena looking around Emmet's room), nothing was actually scary, and to state again, Leslie Hope is playing another incredibly annoying character.

However, it was still pretty fun to watch. Regrettably, I'm not one of those people that can laugh at bad shows or movies, but I did laugh a few times while watching these first two episodes. The monkey wearing the doll head was the funniest thing EVER.

I know she was necessary to start the plot, but now that it's begun, I'd really appreciate it if Tess died. That child spirit shouldn't have given her back.
I almost enjoyed it. I'm barely disturbed by the logistics just thinking that the producer of the reality show (about finding Emmett) is really into cameras. ^^ My favorite character is Jahel because she might be the key to most supernatural beings and phenomenas the crew of the Magus might stumble upon. I don't have a problem with that. Solving one mystery per show is a regular concept for shows like that (Supernatural anyone?). The overall mystery is Emmett's disappearance and that's enough for me. I don't like if the backstory gets to complicated that had me pulling away from Supernatural in the first place. I think The River will become an enjoyable pasttime to watch.
I dont like acting or actors, and this camera thing, but story I think its interesting
I agree that the first episode suffered heavily of pilotitis, but it was decent enough for me to want to see more.

The second episode really shined (scary!) and it did remind me a bit about Paranormal Activity (I guess now I know why), and I hope it won't be that scary. Overall...I'll keep watching because I really want to see "The Source" and all that (I hope it's not the source of drugs)
Absolutely ridiculous garbage. They should call it Lost Blair Witch Hunt in Puerto Rico...

A total waste of time...
cameras are installed on the ship, because the owner of the ship was filming a reality show, you sherlock?
I thought the first two episodes were okay but if the show gets TOO stupid, I'll have to stop watching. I didn't like certain aspects, such as Emilio mentioning that his wife was 'lost' when she was taken over by a spirit. His daughter and his wife? That's a little too dumb. There's a lot of stupid things that went on during the first two episodes but so far, the entertainment value is high enough for me to keep watching.
I am reading alot of comments on here from people who really liked the show. I am glad they did but I turned if off after 45 mins. I could not stand the shaky camera, the story seemed inane and I did not like any of the characters...but you don;t have to like everything....:-).
It didn't do anything for me, but I guess neither did any of those movies. I'm somewhat more likely to watch an undubbed movie with no subtitles in a language I don't understand than I am to watch a third episode of this. Completely unengaging.
I thought it was alright, very Lost-y. I'm surprised noone mentioned the fact that the Boat sitting out in the amazon for MONTHS worked perfectly. Nothing wrong with the 100 cameras, or the equipment room to view them in. I mean its not like there was a monster, rain, animals and such to ruin it all. That is some hearty equipment, so a) who makes it, and b) where can I get me some.
I enjoyed it, but it's been really dumb and inconsistent at times. I would rather the show didn't have a whole log of monsters, but it's looking like it will. That being said, the second episode was a huge improvement over the pilot. That flesh-mask monkey was horrifying,
Still on the fence with this one
Man, this is how they pay for all the cameras on the ship!
I'm surprised I haven't seen one person complain about the major flaw I see in this show.

They got attacked by the spirit of a dead crew member in the first episode. Someone knew what it was and how to fix it and bam! problem solved. Then, in the second episode, are terrorized by the spirit of a little girl who drowned. Someone knew what it was and how to fix it and bam! problem solved. Are they seriously going to stumble across a new supernatural event every episodes that gets neatly wrapped up in an hour? Are we watching Scooby Doo?

The show has a great premise, and has a lot of potential, but I think these supernatural events need to drag out longer than one episode for it to work.
Those damn meddling kids!

Or how about the fact that they had that creature welded into the panic room....Then they catch it a second time and bam throw it in the river inside it's nut sack!
That was something I thought too.
Horribly boring show.
I have to agree with you. I really liked the second episode. First episode was underwhelming, but the way they are going about each episode makes me think this show has a lot of potential even if they find the dad in the first season! Also that stupid monkey scared the hell outta me! Really looking forward to the next episode.

- I didn't think I would as I normally dislike PA-like movies, but this one surprised me. I really liked it.

-I was so entertained that I didn't care about the logistics by the time the second episode started.

-Don't have a favorite yet. The son and the blonde girl are miscast and the mom made me embarrass to watch this show! Maybe the mechanic's daughter could be my favorite.

-Lol! But hey Emmet came in contact with magic and nature's weirdest creatures. So, it kinda makes sense that he'd have installed cameras everywhere.
My biggest nit pick ~ When the girl with the cut on her leg goes right into the water. Uh....No telling what the hell that would attract in the water, nevermind that whatever is in that water can go right into her bloodstream. They were not acting as if they were in a very dangerous jungle.
Exactly, I thought she'd be nibbled to the bone by Piranhas. Overall, it seems the show ignores all the natural dangers of the jungle - where are the alligators, anacondas, piranhas and leeches (specially when they jump in the water) ?
Yeah, I questioned that myself. I was like "What the f*** is she doing in the water?"
My husband and I actually said this to each other!
thanks, I was thinking that too. She has a fresh wound and she is in Amazon water known for teeming bacteria. real smart. lol plus Jahael already told us in Latin that camera man[not ''Harry Blackstone'' aka Clark]'s daughter future love interest for adventure guy's son who bleeps]is monster bait. lol Is Latin girl named after Jael from Destination Truth or coincidence? They added a h and sure I did not spell this name right.
I have to say that everyone comparing everything to LOST is driving me NUTS.

Lost was a great show, but what the hell good is it if people have to let it ruin every new show because of some bizarre comparison to it? It's like a curse now.

It's painfully obvious that new fresh ideas are few and very far between. Does that mean that a show is useless because it used something that has been done before?

Should all mystery tv writers just give up now before whatever they do is compared to Lost?

If you did produce a very succesful show, should you give up right then because people will only compare it to the show that was successful?

Now that I got that out of the way....

I really liked it a lot. Glad to see more positive comments here than other places! I LOVED that money with the doll head on it!

Bummer that it got crap ratings. Not a good sign for any show on

A lready

B een

C nacelled.
haha sick. that last question is the worst (in the best sense, obviously)

good job!
in case some of the nut jobs here havent realized.. the amazon is 55-65% in brazil, the rest is spread from colombia, peru, ecuador, venezuela... so this whole "speaking portuguese" criticism is a joke... oh and by the way some of the native tribes in the brazilian part of the amazon speak their own dialect with very little resemblance to portuguese
Well, in the first episode the show starts in tocatins, wich is in Brazil. There's also reference to the municipality of Tef, wich is also in Brazil, so the criticism it's not a joke. The joke is on th US, for perpetuating inacuracies about South American countries.
might also have to do with the fact that the show was shot in puerto rico.
I really like the show so much. I think that Lincon is my favorite. The doll episodes was one of the greatest I've ever seen I think.

One.....
and how bout that monkey with doll face? I love the tree dolls, reminds me of Peru episode of Destination Truth. Which happens to had a star Jael before Fact or Faked started. lol
... yes I did but there is room for improvement.

... at first I pick it apart, then I'm annoyed by myself and ... let it go. Was fairly rewarded with entertainment !

... I have to say A.J. Poulain, the camera-dude. He is REAL and funny and therefore real again.

... yeah, the lots of cams. But the thing is: Emmet and his crew encountered some strange and dangerous shit, so they maybe baby installed all their equipment everywhere on the boat later - to catch on film what was haunting them.

Also interesting: did Emmet Cole become a) Jesus

b) God

c) Jebus

d) really high on life ?
Well, maybe he is magic...
dragon fly bit like movie with Kevin Costner. Spirit catcher?
I'm definitely in the "complain about the logistics" camp. I was actually angry about the blatant overuse of cameras, I counted four just watching Tess and Lincoln have a conversation at the front of the boat. And as creepy as the scene was where Tess crawled out of the grave, I was sat thinking "why did the cameraman decide to leave an expensive piece of equipment behind, which just happens to be pointed at the grave they just robbed... oh yeah, and leave it running?" I don't think I'm going to be able to get over the ridiculous amount of cameras used in this supposed "documentary". As much as I thought Paranormal Activity and Blair Witch (which I took back to the shop the same day to ask for a refund) were grossly over-hyped, at least they stayed true to the outline of their premise.

Anyway, moving on. Firstly the German security expert is a dreadfully pathetic clich. The "second" camera was obvious cannon-fodder from the outset. Leslie Hope is not a particularly good actress, which her flat emotionless delivery bore evidence of; she was the worst thing about the first season of 24. She is completely unconvincing as someone who has spent years living in nature, particularly jungles, and I just don't think she is leading lady material bad casting. The Son is a walking clich and also a poor actor, unable to convincingly deliver a line again, bad casting. The gorgeous blond is there for obvious reasons - eye candy for the male viewers (this isn't a complaint from me) and a romantic interest for the leading male character. I was starting to guess that she had a, potentially, bigger role to play before the revelation of the birthmark, thankfully I can give the show some kudos for throwing that in there, if the son really had been 'The Chosen One' I think I might have spontaneously vomited. The remaining characters are all pretty much par for the course. And as for the groups' gradual journey from sceptics to believing in the paranormal: that has to be a record, what was it, about three minutes or so?

One thing I think the show is missing is a local expert, someone who could have much more convincingly supplied the group with the story about the drowning girl. I liked the story for episode two, it was interesting and fairly well thought out, but the groups' journey through the story was a bit too coincidental and there were far too many rookie mistakes from a group of people that apparently have spent years living in jungles.

Did anybody else think "he's about to trip" after Tess told the producer to watch where he's walking whilst they were in the jungle? His response of I know what I'm doing, then tripping over was tantamount to slapstick. It's that kind of lazy writing that undermines a show like this. When is a network show going to realise that they don't have to write like the target audience is 12 year olds; that they can have a high concept idea and try to make it realistic. 600 individual cameras on a boat, 50 of which are in one room (please excuse my over-exaggerating), just isn't realistic, and when your show is about portraying a story as a documentary to ramp up the realism, all you're doing is undermining your concept.

I was looking forward to this for ages, I'll probably give it the four episode test, but I already know that it won't survive. I'm very disappointed.

Glad the ''token Black guy''with camera who is funny did not get killed this time, that would have been too Star Treky with red shirt syndrome. And most horror movies from 80's and beyond. lol
yep. fully agree.
I really enjoyed it, and completely agree with your assessment. The first episode intrigued me, but I didn't think it was awesome. The second was so much better. I really thought it was fantastic. Creepy monkey head was the shudder of the evening for me. Plus, Paul Blackthorne is back on my TV! The first ep was a little cheesy, and I didn't like the son, or the family friend daughter person. However, the second episode made me like them a LOT more. The premise was actually different then I expected, which gave me so much more hope for the series! I think after the smarmy tv producer (Blackthorne) was placing camera's everywhere, I let go of some of the ridiculousness that there were so many cameras EVERYWHERE. My biggest problem is when people kept asking questions about things like, "what happened?" WHY DON'T THEY REVIEW THE TAPES? Sorry for the all caps. But seriously!!!! It was my biggest problem. Hello, those things your holding just don't record video and stream it to the ether, they actually play stuff back too! Meh.

My most excitement came with the premise of the second episode, and when I realized they could have an almost "monster or magic" of the week, and maybe even find the guy after the first season, but then the second season they have to find "the source" before they can leave, and find their way out of there, I mean, the river did look a bit like a maze...
''Clark'' is cool, he was on SYFY Dresden Files. Another network that likes to yank good shows too soon. [Caprica, SGU etc]. Hope River survives Fox's ratings on Tuesdays.
That is why I was so excited, I loved The Dresden Files. So glad to have him back!
It was pretty fun. Much better than Terra Nova.
That is definately one thing the show has going for it.

New Tagline: "Better than Terra Nova!"
anyone notice conspiracy theory ''if he found it, we must rid of him'' guy on the phone when Clark was spying.? I will go to IMBD and see list of actors.
I'm surprised. I thought I would be disappointed but I'm not. The pilot wasn't perfect, that's for sure. Especially the scene where Tess talk with the ghost : "Once for dead, Twice for Alive!! "... Hum I don't think so... And we can add the fact that people are acting like in any bad horror movie : stupidly => "oh ! The door is sealed shut ! Let's open it, there's probably nothing dangerous in there because someone sealed it shut for fun !"

The logistics and unrealistic placement of the cameras does not really bother me. For me it's not a plus either. I mean they could have this filmed like any other show and from time to time, used the "fake" camera shooting. That would have contented everybody I think.

The second episode was awesome ! Price I'm with you on that ! The only downside is that there seems that there always is someone who knows what is happening. In the first episode it was the mechanic's daughter and in the second, it was the blonde. Who will know the story next week ? The dolls, Tess being sucked down, Tess coming back, the bear and all the dolls falling... everything was efficient for me. That second episode was way better than any Harper's Island's.

So it's not AHS (which was weirder than scary but fascinating), but it definitely produces in me what it's supposed to.
i feel like they all should have been more scared and freaked out......if i sae possession, dolls moving, people dying.......i would run crying like a little bi*t*h
What's with the Spanish??? The language of Brazil is Portuguese. How lame.
dude you do realize that the amazon doesnt just cover brazil right? peru. colombia, venezuela... seriously get it together!
I stopped watching this crap after 30 minutes. It was an absolute waste of time.

I do agree with Price and everyone else. I liked it but it had a lot of glitches in both the story and the acting, though. Making it a mockumentary only makes it prone to criticisms and mockery. The scene in the first episode where Tess shouted at the creature was the worst scene I've ever seen done in recent TV shows. That was just terrible. But, alas, it still has a lot of potential. Hopefully the producers heed the reactions of the viewers and do damage control early before it becomes another Terra Nova.
I really liked it. I'm a big fan of sci-fi, and this is as sci-fi as it gets. I was thoroughly entertained for both hours (yeah, I said it!). Since there's only 8 episodes, definitely gotta get connected to the characters quick, although I already like Tess and the bodyguard.
This was ridiculous, but I'm still going to watch it because it's better than more dancing and singing shows... It just so reminds me of a Syfy made for TV movie.

The most ridiculous part was when they were getting the lost boat moving out and the 'thing' was attacking them on the river and causing wind, then the wife comes screaming out on deck asking it if her husband was alive or dead and do one thing for no and two things for yes, that was freaking ridiculous. Another SMH was the son didn't want to go on and the mother did then he said they must continue and she wasn't sure now.

Also, I don't know if it's my TV or not, but this is another show with HORRIBLE sound. Another show where they play loud music over low dialog. The dialog was low and muffled, it was terrible, but the music is loud and clear. I had to go back and mute it many times to find out what they were saying.
LOL yes it was hilarious that they went there. Poltergeist scene. Is that Leslie Mann?
I forgot to mentin that about the sound. It wasn't just you having problems.
Staff
Totally agree, that part with Tess shouting at the banshee was outrageously dumb. That part actually made me blush I was so embarrassed.
That was the worst part of both the episodes. I thought it was already a terrible scene about 5 seconds before then, when the son cut his hand to lure the spirit thingy into the trap.
Sorry Price, but when I saw the doll tree with Winnie-the-Pooh, or whatever its name might be, hanging on it, I just lost it. I mean I had soda squirting out my nose. It was that darn funny. I don't think that is the reaction the creators wanted. I'll probably keep watching it, but for all the wrong reasons.
Staff
Hey, at least we weren't bored, right? These days I will definitely settle for not-boring.
In the beginning of the first episode, didn't they say the TV series started in 1988 and ran for 22 years? So how is it that in the second episode we see them celebrating Christmas in December 1988, on episode #198??? Were they airing episodes daily? 198 episodes is like a nine year run - or longer, if the season is only 13 episodes, as it often is with cable non-network shows, which one would assume this would have been.... Yeah, PP, you're not the only one who gets over-analytical!
Staff
Haha totally! I can't even wrap my brain around the original show. It ran every Sunday for THAT long? What kind of numbers was it pulling in??
I gave it a big shrug, but I'll at least watch the next episode. At least the son is kinda normal and he honestly didn't want to be there, so I can respect that, even though all the "we are leaving, now" fell flat since we all knew they weren't.

I was hoping someone in the group (the unintelligible daughter or a camera guy) would say something weird or stupid when they were around the dolls, and all of the dolls would slowly turn their heads at them, but we did get one, if a little later. This show needs more dread from them, not cute attempts to instill it directly in us.
What actor plays the son? Looks like an English Sawyer from Lost. lol
the pilot didn't quite did the job right, i feel that it was lacking something,

i couldn't connect to any characters at all, couldn't connect the reason why

they has to do a tv documentary on the mother and son to find their missing

husband/father,

the premise is interesting, the story-wise is good, they just didn't do a very good

job at deliver the interest for the audiences,

the second esp, did a very very good job, but somehow lack character development

but it did got my interest alright,

i wanted to say that this show remind me of Lost meet PA, but it more of

Animal Planet's Lost tape style...only without the narrator
Totally enjoyed it.
I was definitely entertained. I do think you have to take it at face value or just be amused by the more ridiculous aspects of it, and if you're not ready to do that that's fine. It does help that it's on on Tuesdays though...all I personally watch on Tuesdays is Glee and Switched at Birth, and this is kind of the opposite of those things. Also, Eloise Mumford is possibly the most improbably named hot chick ever, and hot she is.
Gugu Mbatu-Raw from Touch is pretty hot, and her name's Gugu Mbatu-Raw. She's gotta at least be in the running for most improbably named hot chick.
oh that is her name? Blond love interest for adventure man's son with vudu tattoo on neck?
agreed!!!
I thought it was terrible. A few more eps to turn it around before I dump it.
I started watching the first episode, and it looked extremely stupid. I visited this review, which claimed the second episode got better. Wasted two hours of my life watching the whole thing, and it remained stupid throughout. Dumbest, most unscary, two-dimensional, pointless show I've ever seen in my life. Thanks.
Did Price make you watch it? I'm confused. Sounds like you're just a dumbass who decided to watch the rest of something you were all too ready to loathe based on the PERSONAL OPINION of an admittedly clever internet person. As fond as many of us are of Price's articles, I think it's pretty irrational to treat anything he says as gospel then get mad when you disagree.
Nothing wrong with telling a review guy that his review was off and that a show he considered great sucked balls. Price is a little more than a RANDOM GUY AT THE WATER COOLER (you seem to like caps); he's also a guy that we get to know a little through his reviews, and put a little faith in them...provided that we agree with most of them. If he says something's great, we might give that something a try because "he rarely steers us wrong."

Anyway, I put this show in the 'meh category, but that's only because I came to it knowing it would suck balls.
I think it's really rude/strange that you would call someone a dumbass based on a comment they wrote based on a review. You don't even know me. And the whole purpose of reviews are to influence potential audiences, or do you just read reviews after already watching shows because you have nothing better to do with your time?

"all too ready to loathe" - I was really excited about this show. It's not my fault they recycled the black smoke from Lost and added in a bunch of "supernatural" aspects that have no set-up or logistical backing.
so besides AHS your vote for tv's best current horror show goes to...?
I'd say "horror show" is a subjective term. In that context, all I see are jokes.
True Blood. We need more horror on television, though.
True Blood is a comedy.