The Sarah Palin vs. Family Guy War Rages On

Here's Seth MacFarlane's response to... PalinGate?

Also!

... Apparently Jersey Shore's Snooki brings out the inner racist in a few students from James Madison University.

... These shows won WGA awards on Saturday night. In case you care.

... io9 sez that Caprica is like Big Love—in space.

Follow TV.com writer Stefanie Lee on Twitter: @StefAtTVDotCom

Silly Palin, doesn't she know anything and everything is up for a comedic jab? Besides which, it was a 5 second clip, or close to that, the whole show did not focus on Palin and her son so get over it. IMO, she's just a publicity wh0re.
Sarah Palin is such a **** Get over your self Sarah your nothing special.
That was funny. Ironically, my first thought when I saw the clip, and I didn't know the actress had Down's, was "Aw, that's cute, Chris is on a date with a girl with Down's and it seems to be going pretty well". Also, on a related note, an actor with Down's got nominated for an Spanish Academy Award this year. Being overprotective of them is clearly patronizing, because they seem to be able to impressively rise to the challenges they face much more often than people think. It is also hypocritical in people actively trying to prevent people from accessing health care freely, by the way.
The thing I feel has been missed by some people is that the remarks weren't really an attack (if you could call it that) on Palin herself but rather her two year old son. Now I'm fine with making jokes about Palin, she's an ass, but to use the poor kid as a weapon of satire against his mother is going a bit too far. It just didn't need to be done. I wonder what the kid would think if he had been old enough to form his own judgement about it all.
Sarah Palin, a drama queen as always. And she has the nerve to call Rush's somments as being satire, while a real comedian and satarist, Seth, gets a moral lesson from her??? What has the world come to???
I'm sure Seth meant no real disrespect towards Down's Syndrome sufferers. If he did, he probably wouldn't have been able to get a real DS sufferer to play the part.
last time i checked there was still a freedom of speech in this country and while i understand its not absolute there is also no right to be offended either. if youre offended by the show change the channel. no one is forcing you to watch it.
There was no "attacking" or making fun of "special needs" kids, it was about Chris and his thing. I did not see anyone play jokes on her, or anything! It was about Chris.
Come on people, get a sense of humor for christmas!!!! And learn to really understand a show!
Palins' a retard and everyone knows it! I heard shes leaving her husband for Glenn Beck!
This is a little too overblown..
Here's the thing. Everyone is poked fun at on Family Guy. At no point should you be thinking about 'when is it wrong to say this' or 'wrong to talk about these people'. Sure someone on this site may comment about not liking the joke because they don't find it funny when you poke fun at people with down syndrome. But check out any other site and you may find someone who doesn't find it funny when a joke is about abortion. Does that mean we should avoid making jokes about vegetables because a vegetarian is watching? I realize that's an extreme example, but it's more or less what were saying when we complain about every little joke on the show. For the love of god get over yourselves.
Bill Marr said that Family Guy was hilarious as always? What planet he on?
Seth Hackfarlane is a @22HOLE!
People who agree with Seth and Bill are COMPLETE evil sh*t heads. That was basically a big F you to not only Palin, which isn't that bad cuz alot of people get made fun of on that show, but attacking Special needs people too? Good sense of humor A**holes, you guys are just so hilarious aren't you...
Everyone is poked at on FG and that's not going to change. Get over it, Palin. Just do what you do best and give up.
I like family guy and i understand that poking fun at various things is ok and i'm up for a laugh but here are a few things that should be beyond comedy like downs, autism or any of the 'mental' disorders that plague people. I have cringed a few times when disabilities get attacked (having a physical one myself I don't care but when you start to attack people with mental disorders I just find it worse...though I can't put my finger one why)

Though I must admit if you understand the context, palin's son has recently been diagnosed with downs...was there any need for this. and I quote:

On the show, teenager Chris dates a girl named Ellen who has Down Syndrome and tells him over dinner that her mother is "the former governor of Alaska." Its easy to say its just a bit of fun but finding out your child is disabled can be quite a traumatic event. I can almost picture the people in the office thinking how can we do this to make it obvious but get away with it.... Must say I am kind of on Palin's side (there is something I never thought I would say)
I'm not a fan of Palin/O'reily but that was not funny and offensive, its like making fun of someone with cancer. The family is going through hardships with a down syndrome son. i don't understand how you can be on Seth's side with this but i guess the TV community finds anything involving Palin hilarious (snl also sucks).

Looks like expect to much out of Family Guy, after all it hasn't been funny for 6 years (wow can't believe its been on that long).
It's nice to know people with Down Syndrome have a better sense of human (intended) than some people. So she pretty much said Sarah was her mom, so what? Someone has to be her mom. And the point in the end was the girl was a jerk! Chris was attracted to her but she turned out not to be a nice person. In the end, it shows that people with Down Syndrome can be just as human as anyone else, and to me, that was the real message that's being lost in all of this minutiae.
I'm on Seth's side.
The comedy from the clip quite evidently is trying to derive humor from Sarah Palin and the shows obvious liberal undertones, it in no way creates humor in through the exploitation of people with any type of mental disability as is evident throughout the rest of the episode as the character is portrayed as being intelligent, independent and strong willed, a concept which Sarah Palin clearly fails to grasp. Whether or not the clip manages to achieve this is a different question entirely.
sarah palin is retarted!
Unless this isn't a staged publicity stunt, I think it's about time people put this to rest and carry on with their lives. If you've watched Family Guy over the last 8 seasons, you should know better that Seth has made fun of every gender, race, ethnicity, orientation, body sizes, shapes, and what not. One group of people might find some jokes funny, while the other might find the same one offensive. Palin should either have a good sense of humor and laugh it off, or feel offended and shrug it off because it's FAMILY GUY, and that's what they do. What she shouldn't definitely do is make a big deal out of it. Common Palin, grow up; what are you 12? There are greater problems in the world right now, than people calling each other effin' retards.
Seth is right, Palin does not have a sense of humor! Palin is so stupid.
What confuses me is that the character on the show was a teenage girl with Down Syndrome, and Palin has a boy toddler. So the joke itself doesn't even make much sense. And it was a "throw-away" line anyway, it's not like the whole show was about Palin. I didn't even know she had a child with Down, I thought it was a joke about her teenage daughter who got pregnant, like she was so stupid she might as well have Down Syndrome. Whatever.
Interesting
Palin has a son that was recently diagnosed with down syndrome. That is why the joke is in bad taste, and is also the reason why Palin is so offended by it. I'm not sure if Maher and MacFarlane understand that concept. The only point of this clip that makes sense is Maher pointing out that "Family Guy" is satire.
Ive never been offended by a television show in my entire life. But i have to say, when your just blatantly making "jokes" to be controversial, its not clever or funny. Also, I'm hardly impressed at any of McFarland's obviously scripted jokes. Controversy for the sake of controversy, cmon Seth just go back to real comedy.
wow...I find myself agreeing wholeheartedly with these two...life does still have its surprises.