The Secret Circle: Busted! (PHOTO RECAP)

Whew! We're only five episodes into the series and already it's clear that The Secret Circle is NOT messing around. After last week's embrace of full-on horror, this week's episode continued the demonic-possession storyline, moved the mythology forward, and also killed off a MAIN CHARACTER for good measure! Earlier this season, I complained that binding the circle would keep the characters too safe, but I was wrong. Credit where credit's due!

"Slither" picked up the morning after the events of "Heather." While Heather herself was off in a body bag somewhere, her tiny little snake demon had crawled into MELISSA and it was probably not going to be a good day for anybody.

It made me laugh that she couldn't feel THAT THING crawling beneath her skin. But you know, we've all had those kinds of mornings, am I right? (I'm not right, am I?)

But hey, do you want to see what an exhausted witch looks like?

Apparently Cassie hadn't slept all night, either because she was up late cleaning up the carnage, or perhaps because she was traumatized by what happened? Either way, I was impressed the show would even address the wear and tear several hours of sheer terror can have on someone.

Jane confronted Cassie in the kitchen and asked what exactly she'd been up to lately (guess she didn't notice all the missing lamps?). It was clear she really wanted to talk witchcraft, but Cassie was being so coy! If I were Cassie, I would have been grilling my grandmother on Day 1, but as Diana later explained, their grandparents had stripped the powers from their own kids, so there was some reason to believe the teens needed to tread cautiously. It actually made sense to me! (Trust me, few things ever do.)

Meanwhile, at school, Melissa was all fidgety, like a teenage bag lady. This episode ended up being a pretty amazing showcase for Jessica Parker Kennedy, who really brought her A-game.

Not gonna lie, I kind of didn't understand the demonic possession process. I kind of THOUGHT Melissa was possessed the whole time, but it turned out she was just an itchy weirdo version of herself. But THEN later on she became possessed?

I don't know, I'm not a demon doctor or whatever. But yeah, then Melissa became super creepy and promised she'd show Nick her Book of Shadows if he would just dig it up from a filthy shallow grave in the woods.

But then she immediately betrayed his trust by luring other members of the circle to the secret house. (Quick question: Where do they park? Is there a driveway, or maybe there's a bus line they all take?)

I'm not an expert on lady homoeroticism but how about this part where Melissa and Faye stared intensely at each other for a few beats. That was some straight up L Word stuff, right?

Meanwhile Adam was eating a candlelight dinner over at Diana's house. Don't you love how Charles has decorated the place? You can tell it was designed by a longtime bachelor and single dad because of the OUTDOOR FLOWER BOUQUET? Dude stuff, basically.

Anyway, Adam did NOT like Diana's cooking.

Luckily she'd planned a sensual treat for dessert. Okay, sure, The Secret Circle. Just a very white hot scene, basically.

Back at the decrepit clubhouse, things quickly took a turn toward the horrifying.

The funniest part about demons is that they are TERRIBLE actors. Not only was Melissa acting like a cagey weirdo, she kept talking with a man voice and screaming for no reason. Generally I prefer my friends to not scream at me in a demon voice, but that's just a personal preference.

If you can believe it, Adam and Diana were making the kind of love that would heat a fire. How that house didn't just burn down is beyond me! But anyway, because they are TV characters and it's federal law, Diana was compelled to check her phone right in the middle of their tryst.

So they rushed over to the clubhouse and there was a pretty funny bit where, immediately upon their arrival, Nick smashed Melissa over the head with a log and the rest of the gang was like, "It's not what you think." Like, I'm sure Adam and Diana just assumed it was a typical case of someone bashing a girl over the head with a log for no reason, but good thing Faye and Nick cleared that up.

They managed to secure Melissa, who was just so angry and shouting at everybody.

I liked this screengrab because it looked like everyone was SO MAD at T-Mobile.

Anyway then the demon tried to manipulate everyone into believing she was Melissa again. Typical demon stuff. My favorite part was when Nick gave her the staredown just like Larry David does on Curb Your Enthusiasm.

But again, demons are terrible actors!

Elsewhere, Charles and Dawn were chillin' on a boat in the harbor and trying to determine the location of the other crystals. It hasn't been made clear, but it kind of seems like when the elders stripped their powers, they trapped the powers in crystal form? So there should be a crystal for each member of that circle? Not sure.

Uh-oh, their crystal ran out of juice just before they could track down the others. Dawn was MIFFED.

I'm not sure how I feel about Charles being retconned into a sadsack. Remember how he was an uber-powerful villain in the pilot? Oh well, Dawn's badassery more than makes up for it. Is this is a good opportunity to say how much I love Natasha Henstridge? She is great! I don't think she's getting enough credit for the work she's doing here, but she's basically perfect. Remember in Species when Michelle Williams turned into a cocoon and then Natasha Henstridge squirted out and ate a black lady? Natasha Henstridge is awesome, I want to buy her a Frosty.

Oh, right, the show. So at the decrepit clubhouse, Cassie pointed out that they probably couldn't defeat a demon seeing as Cassie's mom was unable to do such things. But Nick insisted they try to help Melissa anyway, and there was a nice moment where Cassie immediately agreed. She is a good person! Plus, she is smart and immediately went to go get her grandmother.

It probably wasn't intentional but this reminded me a lot of that episode of My So-Called Life where Angela had to go get her mom to help with Rayanne's overdose. I don't know, I guess in both situations the main girl needed help dealing with a friend who was behaving like an asshole.

Oh, I had to point this out. THIS. Was amazing! Note Melissa lying on the couch in the beginning.

It was such a weird, hilarious, straight up cinematic thing to have happen, and I JUMPED. I gotta give the production and actors credit, it looked hard to do!

Anyway, suddenly Nick was being held at scissor-point, and the other three witches had no choice but to bust out a truly questionable spell.

Ouch! But also I guess the spell no longer works when the people are on the floor?

This was a weird moment where Melissa/The Demon forced everyone to recite incantations at knife-point. I bet witches hate that! Anyway it was all to open this suitcase which by now was writhing and hissing! I wish I had a dollar for every time I declined to open writhing, hissing suitcases.

FORTUNATELY Cassie returned with her grandmother, and guess who has a crystal of her own!

Demons HATE crystals! Or they're at least very bored by them, because the Demon was out like a light. But you know, it'd had a long day, bless its heart.

Pretty soon after that Jane determined that Melissa was no longer possessed! But it was sort of a good news, bad news situation.

Then, in a pretty nice homage to The Thing (I'm guessing), Jane went around the room with the crystal trying to detect who was possessed. I thought it was pretty cool of her to start with Cassie. No bias there. But, it was pretty obvious who it would be:

Then he caused a big ruckus and tried to open the suitcase, and it was FULL OF SNAKES!

Apparently demons take the form of snakes, but I didn't care! I'd have a hard time deciding what's worse, snakes or demons? DO NOT WANT EITHER OF THEM. Because Jane is gangsta, she had the kids throw the suitcase into the bathtub and TORCH IT.

At one point Adam tried to beat the snakes with a stick for some reason, and when Cassie tried to stop him a snake almost bit her! SEE, that's why people should carry guns. Sorry, I feel very Second Amendment-y when it comes to snakes.

So then the demon went to the Boat House and chatted up Dawn. Apparently the Demon's name is Abaddon and was CONJURED by Dawn back in the day? So, wow. No wonder the elders took away their powers, that is ridiculous! Like, what does it take for someone to consider the possibility of conjuring a demon in order to solve a problem? Is that just like a classic Plan B for a witch? Like, whoops, the cable's out. Better conjure a demon. We're out of mayo? Conjure a demon. The cat's giving me attitude again. Gonna conjure a demon. Personally, I like to think that I would conjure a demon in NO situations, but who am I to judge? I'm sure Dawn had a terrific reason.

Anyway, the demon had come home to roost and it simply wanted everything. Dawn was like, "Yeah okay, let's go."

But what the demon didn't know was that her cell phone was on speakerphone and she'd dialed Charles. Then THIS happened!

Right in the kisser! Look how hard he hits the ground! Was that the main actor? Dang, tough last week, guy. It kind of looked like he hit his head! That's commitment. Hope he puts that on his reel.

As we'd previously learned, demons can only be destroyed through burning or drowning, so Dawn and Charles took drastic measures.

And he DROWNED Nick!

And just like that the circle was broken! Not only that, but the parents had just straight-up murdered one of the kids after having painstakingly manipulated the circle into binding together in the first place. Kind of an inglorious way for Nick to go out, but still pretty horrifying.

Elsewhere Melissa was just recovering from her possession when Faye got the call.

Faye is the best.

To their credit, Dawn and Charles felt pretty bad about the whole situation.

Like, are they villains? Are they decent human beings? It's never clear, and that's one of this show's strengths!

An emotional montage ensued.

This one got me:

And in a nice callback to the pilot, Cassie stared out her window into Nick's room, where he'd first attempted to strike a shirtless hunk pose.

Obviously I am just a lowly TV recapper who dwells in the boonies of the internet, but did I WILL this to happen? Not just Nick's death but also the casting of upcoming "guest star" Chris Zylka? (Quick question: Does The CW always include "guest stars" in their promotional artwork?) I've been a huge fan of Chris Zylka since that surprisingly not-terrible MTV slasher movie My Super Psycho Sweet 16, not to mention the time he played Thomas Dekker's naked roommate in Kaboom. All I'm saying is, I think I WILLED this to happen, much like the time I willed Trevor Donovan's character to make out with Alan Ritchson on 90210. I have great taste, basically.

Anyway! R.I.P. Nick. Long live The Secret Circle!

QUESTIONS:
... Will the witches' individual powers return?
... How long until the other kids discuss witchcraft with THEIR guardians?
... How good was Jessica Parker Kennedy?
... Should there be more Diana-Adam sex scenes?

loving this show - it's really off beat and natural - which is weird for the genre.
This episode seemed a little forced with the acting, and overly sexual with out any decent sex scenes. It was nice to see the different side of the remaining parents. I look forward to seeing what happens next.
I think you are just trying to be mean.
Hey Price! Did you know there's a link to this recap on thesecretcircle.net? Thought it was pretty cool!
How cool!
Lol "Is it friday yet?" Awesome recap. This show has so little humor that these recaps provide me with the essentials i need! I dont really care for this show but i find myself watching it each week...even though I don't care about it. I hope one day that I can stop...i sound like an addict lol
Dont want more Diana-Adam sex scenes!! Really! No chemistry, no fun, not cool. Plus, I agree with NeeUyank that the circle needs to balance out male-female numbers in the circle, and Nick had much more potential than Melissa for a whole background and angst... I mean, he was an orphan living with some seriously damaged aunt.... I wonder if the aunt was in the circle and he had to crash with some other potential college-going kid? anyway.... the cosmic predestination of couples story line def. has to start wrapping up at some point and killing Nick was not a smart way to go about it as I see it... =( boohoo.
I agree about the Nick/Melissa thing. Nick was creepy at first, but I was starting to like him. Melissa should have been the one to die.
I would have liked it much more if melissa was dead than nick, as she is annoying and we have just begun to like nick.. also there are too many girls in this circle, and including the grandma and the mom, we need more male witch power in the context, as of now it is on the verge of being cheesy in terms of character relations.. apart from that, I guess they will lose some powers but not return to where they begun, as we obviously see from kids parents and grand parents that it does not work that way.. plus, although grandma's circle has been broken, surely she performs much better magic than the others, she is much more experienced in practicing.. also I dont really get how the crystals belong to the mom-dad's generation were collected -it is not like that they handed them out willingly, so there must have been a magic done to get rid of the crystals.. I belive every generation has their own crystals.. dawn and charles are trying to find out where theirs were hidden, and grandma used her own probably..
Yeah, I mean, the demon stuff...has everyone just forgotten the lessons Buffy taught us about demons? Dumbasses summon demons to get rich or powerful, they're always way more than said dumbasses can handle, and people often die. I have to say, as inexplicable and dangerous as Mystic Falls High School is, it has nothing on Sunnydale.
If the circle is broken I suppose the most likely thing is that their individual powers will return, I mean it would make sense for their powers to stay bound (unless there was some ritual to go through, which doesn't really work with missing members.) And something I've been thinking about is once Faye, gets her individual powers back, what awful things will have to happen before she can be convinced to bind them in another circle?

Great recap as always :)
same thougths here:)
Hilarious - awesome recap.
Price, I just read your review of Teen Spirit. Quick question, where have you watched Chris Zylka before? You seem like you like him so much haha. I watched him in "10 things I hate about you" and that's it lol. He played a really dumb character. And also Lindsey Shaw was the main actress in that show. Do you like him because of Kaboom? I heard he's great in that movie, lol.
Staff
My Super Psycho Sweet 16 parts 1 and 2! Also Shark Night 3D. I'm so lame.
I was not expecting the death of Nick. Even after it happend I was waiting for the final moments when by some magical mystical force he was suddenly brought back to life. Never thought I could feel so bad and miss a character that I barely paid attention in the episodes before. He developed as a character, became more likeable, and died all in one episode. Damn. That sucks.

Cassie's grandmother is fantastic but I don't buy for one minute that she's as oblivious as she pretends to be. Loved her being brought in.

And what the hockey puck was Dawn doing back in the day where she felt the need to summon evil demon spirits? Something tells me she was as reckless as Faye is. I don't know what to think of Charles. It's hard to see this guy who was appalled over killing a kid (and seemingly amazed and disgusted by his position as Dawn's lapdog) with the guy who so evily murdered Cassie's mother.I actually feel bad for him and like him rather than loving to hate him. What is with these shows and making their villians all tortured and seemingly pathetic.
Love the recap. Made me laugh several times.
>>I'm not sure how I feel about Charles being retconned into a sadsack. Remember how he was an uber-powerful villain in the pilot?<<

I'm really unhappy with this, too. I just keep telling myself that he's just using Dawn and waiting to make his move. Gale Harold was too fantastic as the ahole in Queer as Folk to be relegated to the bitch in TSC.
Loved the shot of the group h8ing on T-Mobile, great catch!

Awesome Photo Recap, as always.
Pretty great recap. I don't know about the circle's powers, seems like they probably will get them back. I'm curious how they are going to re-fill the circle, I'm assuming you can't just put an ad on craigslist--and wouldn't the person have to part of Nick's bloodline? As far as the Adam-Diana sex scene is concerned, it was pretty awkward since I don't believe Adam has chemistry with her--or Cassie for that matter. I just glad we finally found out Cassie's g-ma is a badass.
Staff
Yeah, I'm curious to see if the new guy (who was shown in the teaser, not really spoiling anything) is related to Nick at all. And yeah, the sex scene seemed like it was from another show. I kind of LIKED that these kids weren't all sexy. Oh well.
Just curious since Nick was an orphan did he live in that house alone? How could he afford it?
Staff
One of the characters mentioned they should "call his aunt and uncle" so I think maybe he didn't live alone. Wouldn't it be hilarious if the new guy literally moves into Nick's old room?
Forgot to write this in my earlier post but I had a feeling one of their parents or some of their parents summoned a demon to get more power. Figures it would be Faye's Mom.
So, everyone died in a fire, right? And Heather had the demon in her, the one that escaped?

So does it not make sense that the fire was caused by one or more of THAT cirlces members trying to kill the demon with fire? Heather ran, but one got her, circle members died in the fire...they were at the docks, weren't they, so maybe they attempted drowning the demon also...I think that's what happened. It was all just about killing that demon, and it backfired (no pun intended) horribly.

And Faye's mom summoned it, so maybe the 'rivalry' that has been implied between Dawn and Cassie's mom stemmed from that, from Cassie's mom trying to stop Dawn getting more power.
Staff
Yeah. I'm guessing they learned their lesson about the whole summoning demons thing.
u caught that too.some fans over look that.the demon talk about how the parents circle called on them for more powers and we know demons loves witches magic.maybe a demon and witches together are more powerful anyway that would be a good reason for the grandmother circle to strip their powers away:)at least someone paying attention i thought i was the only one who caught that.
oh yeah some ppl get confuse really easliy.the grandmother has her powers.just like diana said it would make since she would still have her powers b/c her circle strip her dad and faye mom powers away for abusing them.the thing is the grandmother uses the crytsal as a way to fight demons.i guess the gradnmother knew cassie was gone find out she was a a witch sooner rather than later and she knew demons would comes for their powers.so i guess the grandmother was prepared b/c she had suspicious the kids were doing magic...also the parents are using the crsytal to get powers..so the crytal have two things going.hurting demons and using magic.in this ep its pretty clear the parents circle summones demons to those crytals for more power and the grandmother uses the crytal as a weapon to fight demons.
Staff
Good catch about the grandmother still having individual powers, plus a crystal. Also, now Cassie's circle knows about the crystals' existence, so I'm guessing these teens will be trying to sniff them out also, just like their Books of Shadows.
yes the witches individual powers will return.the bound keep their powers from being out of control with all the memberrs in town but now a memeber dead they will have their powers again and their powers wont be out of control b/c their is no 6 member.....i dont think any of the kids will talk to their parents about witchcraft,cassie will talk to her grandmother tho.jessica parker kenndey was so good. i was shock at her acting.i think the entire cast can do some great stuff but they will need the material..i thought adam and diana scenes were pretty hot but i dont want to see that stuff alot.
Funny that I don't remember ever hearing the word "Abaddon" before in my life but then here it pops up twice in the same week on Secret Circle and Enlightened! Anywho. Are we positive Nick is gone forever? Any possibility of a spell that could raise him from the grave?
Staff
There was a character on Lost named Abaddon, and all the Lost theorists wrote pieces about how it was a demon name, etc. That's how I remembered it. And yeah, totally, I think Vicky on TVD proved that the producers can always do what they want to bring actors back (even when viewers didn't love them).
Also... I dont know if I should expose my geek-angel-fantasy-loving personality ... BUT: Abbadon is the name of a badass fallen angel.... also known as the angel of destruction... and some lore explains fallen angels go on to becoming demons... There is a lot of debate regarding this... some people think Abbadon is a place in which souls perish, some people dissociate the demon lore from fallen angel lore placing Abbandon as either one or the other... anyway.... it comes up a lot on the kind of stuff I obviously read. There... hahaha
This was really funny...but for some reason The Secret Circle just doesn't do it for me...it's not a bad show, just...predictable. I only watch it to enjoy your recaps.

1) I guess, either on their own or they'll need to do a spell to brake the circle;

2) Doubt it will be soon...;

3) She was really good;

4) Yeah...not really. I had this anoying feeling Adam was thinking about Cassie the whole time, it was weired...
this episode was cool but death of nick was shocking. i personally like adam diana hot scene, should be more. actress playing melissa was good. and ur recaps are amazing as always.!!!!!!!!
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/10/13/secret-circle-gale-harold-charles-meade/ here's how Gale Harold sees Charles.

I think Price should read this :)
Staff
Nice! I like the part where mentions his character might actually be terrified of Dawn. Also, the part where he alludes to the idea that Charles actually might feel super guilty about killing Cassie's mom, and might try and make it up to her. I thought that was tantalizing... Would love to see him become sort of her secret protector now.
I want to see what exactly lies behind that act? Why did he kill Cassie's mom in the first place? Did Dawn make him do it? Because in that scene, he looked so indifferent. Like he couldn't care less. Really different than what he appears to be now. I don't know if the writers wanted for Charles to be like he is now, or they wanted for him to be the real villain from ep.1 but Gale made them change their minds? That scene is still intriguing to me.
One last thing, the actor playing Nick does use his arm to brace his fall, and I'm sure they taught him how to do it without breaking anything--but still that does look pretty brutal!! I mean unless that ground is secretly made of marshmallow fluff, ouch...
That Adam-Diana sex scene was more awkward than sexy. I bet when Cassie and Adam have sex, there'll be sparks flying (literally), lamps getting smashed etc.
Staff
It made me uncomfortable. I kind of felt bad for both of them? I prefer the goodie-goodie Diana from the pilot, she was like something out of Freaks and Geeks.
I totally agree! I even looked away for a few seconds. I felt uncomfortable too. It wasn't sexy at all and kinda seemed desperate?

And I don't know how I feel about Diana now. She gets on my nerves often. She basically throws her boyfriend into Cassie's arms and then begs Cassie not to accept him, or something? She's really weird.
1. The witche's individual powers will return, but ONLY to pre-Cassie strength. Remember, prior to her arrival they had powers, but it got crazy magnified when the circle was complete (yet unbound). For now, it seems the circle is broken. Is that the same as never being bound? Or is there a consequence to bound circle losing a member?

Btw, the ratio just got all f'd up. 4 girls & 1 eyelashes mackenzie. Now that dude is pimpin' it...

2. Probably towards the end of season 1. I have a feeling Diana will be the first to crack. I also have a feeling her dad will die this season as well....

3. She was good. Very creepy...

4. I think I can speak for everyone when I say, Yep!
Staff
Someone pointed out that as long as it's a relative of Nick's, the circle can be maintained. So I guess we're just waiting to find out whether "guest star" Chris Zylka's character will be related to Nick or not. That'll probably be a big indicator of how long he'll be sticking around.
Wow. Great episode, I'm impressed. 'Species' came out in theaters when I was a young teeanger--so needless to say, I too love Natasha Henstridge. and she looks amazing for her age.

...and Mr Peterson, if anyone willed Laguna Beach's death, it was me : P
Staff
Species was just on the other day. It was SO '90s! But so was Nick, basically. His haircut in the pilot was straight out of Salute Your Shorts.
I'm disappointed that Nick was killed off this soon. I think they could have actually made him a better character overtime. Hopefully his replacement will be good though.
Why is it Price Peterson that after most of your recaps I can piece together a bit more. LOL. IT

Would be an honor if you'd respond and let me know your thoughts on what im trying to piece together here. All right Folks this is what I'm thinking now let me know if you agree. I think that the grandparents took away the previous circles magic and through the laws of the universe everything has to go somewhere so they placed each members power into a crystal. I think the crystal focuses the power to do what the witch using it wants unlike when the circle isn't binded and emotion plays a key (kind of like a loophole) to the circles being binded. Each grandparent probably has theyre Childs crystal thus explaining why Granny was using it to hurt the demon. Also explaining why she could do magic without a member of her circle (even though I think her circle was recently unbinded when Claire killed Gramps a few episodes back. Charles and Claire know that there powers are in crystals somewhere and used the rest of their crystal to track the others but their juice was already gone and they have to wait for another blood moon to try again with some other power source. I'm trying to use the rules set up to explain it all. I have a feeling Claire like Faye also didn't agree with her circle being binded may have summoned the demon for a way to unbind her circle years before. Also fun fact. In voodoo snakes are said to be carriers of souls (ie demons take that form) so I really liked that throwback as well as the buried suitcase because oddly enough normal objects that are buried are also very common parts of voodoo and hoodoo lore (so ive read) so i thought that was very cool integration. The show really is getting fun. Does that make sense to anyone?
Staff
Yes, I think you've got it spot-on. (Except I think Faye's mom is named Dawn.) But this is the best summary I've read so far!
First of all PRICE you really have to STOP with this idiotic and childish text with every picture you place..very annoying!!!

That said, about the ep...i loved it..Grandma has some serious power. But i really think that we haven't seen much of this combined magic of the group and they should really start focusing on that...
I'll preface this by saying (I fully believe) everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Dude(ette) that's what makes Price, Price. To ask him to stop his signature style write-ups is like asking Tiger Woods to stop fucking bimbos, or Brett Favre to stop texting his junk....I can keep going with the perverted analogies, but 2 is probably enough.
I like where you went with that, but maybe different examples next time, less about people who do stupid things, more about people who do awesome things. Like "That's like asking Ray Wise to stop being the awesomest mo fo there is!" or, "That's like asking Joseph Gordon Levitt to stop being the best actor out there right now!" Obviously, neither exaple is funny, but still, both are true, and a bit more flattering haha.
Staff
I can't even imagine how much easier my life would be if I didn't do pictures for these. I could go to bed on Thursday nights!
Thursday nights are made for doing stuff on your computer so you can post it online and make people LOL and then call their friends and tell them how much the ROFL'd reading it, and their friends can be all like OMG, and everyone goes to find out what made them LOL initially and be like WTF? LMFAO! and everyone can thank you for not going to bed Thursday night. See?...it's a cycle. And we appreciate it immensely.
Great recap and this episode even topped TVD in my opinion. But both shows are great and are the best dramas on TV i dont know why people dont watch the cw shows i love their shows and im a guy.
Well in theory their individual power should return, but going back to episode 3 when that stalker said that he only had to kill one of them to break the circle they just might be powerless instead, plus that would fit in with the whole reason for a new guy from the Armstrong family. Also now we know that there are more than one crystal this works for the plot because if one of the kids gets a crystal, it will equal individual powers!!! About time they told the grandmother because the kids don't know what they are doing. Dawn is super evil, she was for sure a friend enemy with Cassie mom.
Staff
Oooh you're right! They might have group powers AND individual powers. Good call.
You should also recall Chris Zylka was in that awful Teen Spirit abomination that was on ABC Family. Didn't watch it, but remember seeing him in your recap.
Staff
YES. That's one reason I recapped it.
Since the circle is broken now there individual powers will return. Too bad Nick had to die, that sucks.
Of course their individual powers will return. How can something be bound when part of what bound it is gone.

Faye, Diana and Adam will keep their mouths shut for a while yet. As Nick brother, I can't see Jake saying anything any time soon, considering what happened. As for Melissa, we haven't seen her parent yet so I've no idea.

JPK was awesome. She really pulled it together here. Given how un-noticeable she was in the pilot, this was so good.

They really need to work on establishing Adam and Cassie's chemistry. Cos right now, Diana and Adam's chemistry is off the charts and the love triangle isn't very believable.
I almost gave up, but this show is actually getting better! They need more action and horror stuff like in this one or in the previous one, and they need to stop focusing on Cassie.
Agreed. Charles character sucks now.
This show is called The Secret Circle, so I'm guessing that won't just be a two episode kind of thing.

I just hope Melissa is pregnant and Nick's place in the circle won't be taken over by some long lost family member.
And, I think Faye is hot for Melissa.
Personally, I prefer to have the big, important story build up a bit more before they tear it apart in one single show. But perhaps Nick's not dead-to-the-show, just sorta-dead. Maybe they'll mojo him back to life, or he can still keep the circle bound from "the other side"?

Anytime a show kills off somebody supposedly important to the long-story, I worry about their health (or maybe the kid is just becoming obnoxious, now that he's such a big star).
when i watched the episode when faye showed up i thought there was some sexual tension between her and melissa. i laughed at adam's reaction when diana got that text coz he was like dammit i was just getting started lol the end montage was heartbreaking especially the faye/melissa part. i liked how the scene where cassie looked out the window with a tear in her eye coz that's how she first met nick, by looking out the window. dam grandma blake was badass in this episode, hope we see more of that!
Great New Series and amazing episode, Vampire Diaries episode 5 was freaking amazing too.
I'm embarrassed to admit that this show aimed at a teenage audience confuses me. But I'm going to keep watching to see if I'll catch up with the plot at some point.
I think it's pretty obvious that by the end of this season this series will have surpassed the Vampire Diaries in amazingness! I know it was a matter of time before things got crazy. It reminded me of Vicki dying so early on in TVD.
the show is alot better than tvd to me:)
I really hope their individual powers return. Because this circle magic was so boring!
Personally, I kind of liked Nick.. he might've been a jerk but he wasn't as bad as Adam. Jeez is that kid bornoring (boring + annoying).. and i don't like looking at him (this coming from a straight guy so take that which whatever weight you'd like), just never been a Thomas Dekker fan.. anyways.. i think killing one of the main kids was stupid atleast this early on. it wasn't shocking because he hadn't been on long enough for anybody to really connect with his character, all it did was make the whole premise of the show, which is about SIX witches to make a "circle", kind of pointless..

apart from that stupid plot twist (kill Adam next! and replace them with two other hot chicks!) it was a good episode.. and i'm glad Cassie's grandmother knows now because personally i like when shows give up trying to hide things and everything's out in the open.. for example, Smallville was SO ANNOYING when only Clark's parents and Pete knew, but once Chloe and FINALLY Lana and Lois knew, it was much better.

so if Cassie's grandmother is Claire's (Heroes) adopted mother, does that make Claire her aunt? is that why Claire got powers? SPELLS! :p lol
more scantily clad Diana can't hurt
Staff
It's super interesting that this show went the hot lady route whereas most teen supernaturals hows are about hot dudes. It's actually kind of refreshing.
Ah! I've been waiting for this recap all day...read the vampire diaries one and had to keep checking for the secret circle one. Hilarious, as per usual.

I'd say yes the witches individual powers will return, which will probably make Faye a happy witch.

Does Melissa even have guardians? I don't think we've seen her mother/father, whichever is alive. I feel that it will be awhile before any of them crack. I also have a vision in the future of Cassie's gma sacrificing herself for the children...I'm thinking its finale type of material.

Jessica Parker Kennedy was pro, I also thought there was some weird L Word shizz going on between her and Faye.

Also I'm not really a fan of the Diana-Adam shirtless nekkid hugs...Adam just doesn't do it for me.

I'm glad the secret circle is finally kicking some ass, it started off so lame, but the arrival of demons always makes a show more interesting. Again, loved the recap!
I know what you mean about checking...I live in Ireland, stayed up past midnight for the TSC recap, wasn't here. Now, I'm not saying it's a terrible thing, having to wait, there are obviously worse things in the world, like them remaking Beetlejuice - yeah, it's happening, those creepers in Hollywood are obviously possessed - but still...I had to WAIT. Man that sucked.

There was a moment earlier in the episode when I thought "Hey, maybe I like Adam and Diana?", but then Cassie sorta kinda pretty much threw herself in front of Adam before the snake could bite him, and I remembered how she easily just pulled the demonin Heather off Faye last week, and I got to thinking, if Cassie - unlike Elena - keeps doing awesome things and generally being a chilled but ass-kicking gal (GIRL POWER), then I want her and Adam, because let's face it, Diana is nice, but Adam seems a lot more capable of smiling and joking around Cassie. What I'm saying is, I'm sick of Adam brooding. That's my thoughts on the love triangle.

JPK was great, and I hope the writers take advantage of her talent and maybe turn her into an ass-kicker also? Fay is good at looking evil, but she did nothing but scream last week, and Diana seems sort of like a pacifist, so that leaves the ass-kicking on the girls side mantle to Melissa and Cassie, so I hope Melissa gets some good right-hooks in in the few episodes following next - I'll assumethe next episode will have to do with the fallout of her losung Nick like that.

The montage at the end - apart from the boringhug between Diana and Adam, I found that scene with Cassies grandmother telling her she wouldn't let anything happen to her very sweet, and the scene where Faye comforted Melissa was heartbreaking. Another glimpse of Faye being a good friend...i hope we get more of those.

Anyway, yeah. So as an LJ Smith fan, I can honestly say that, Price, your TVD recaps are the only reason I have any sort of clue what's going on. Elena is to crappy of a main character, it sort of sickens me how they try to convince us that someone that bland and downright clueless is the center of almost everyone's universe. Except Caroline's and Tyler's. And Jeremy's. But let's face it, Damon killed him, attacked him more than once, and STILL his sister's like "It's all good, we're buddies, we're gonna make lustful eyes at one another now cause Stefan's gone and I need another vampire Salvatore to keep my storyline going, considering my terrible personality!" Elena is a terrible sister, is what I'm saying. Terrible. They try to make her seem nice and I guess protective, but if I had a younger brother and my boyfriends brother snapped his head, there would be NO FORGIVENESS. I'd torch the mo-fo. Of course, the only reason most people watch is for Damon, so I guess Elena would forgive him if he killed HER...ugh, that show, I can't stop hating it.

TSC, however, I'm enjoying. Plot development that makes sense, I don't hate the main character, or any other character for that matter. I'm still wary, because it COULD all turn around, Adam can be a bit Edward Cullen-y but hopefully they'll make his character brood a little less, Grandma Blake rocks, and there haven't been too many public events, as there seem to be at least two an episode in TVD...I'm sorry, I'll stop hating.
More +
Staff
Sorry guys, TVD recaps come first. You might have to duke it out with THOSE fans.
No prob, yo. I was just being impatient, I appreciate any recap you got for us, they can make a Friday, they can.