The Supernatural Spin-off Has a New Name and New Lady Werewolf

Over the weekend, The CW announced that it's changing the name of its Supernatural spin-off from the much-mocked Supernatural: Tribes to the still-bad-but-slightly-better Supernatural: Bloodlines. I will be taking full credit for this, obviously. While it's not perfect, Bloodlines is still a better fit for the series, which follows five mafia-like monster families who run the Windy City, and as an added bonus, doesn't sound like a long-lost season of Real World/Road Rules Challenge

Bloodlines has also finished casting its series regular roles. According to TV LineMelissa Roxburgh (Arrow) has landed the part of Violet Durant, a werewolf from one of the five families being tracked and hunted by Ennis Roth (Lucien Laviscount), a human cop-turned-hunter who discovered the truth about monsters after the death of a close family member. Violet has been hiding her true nature from her lover, David Hayden, a shapeshifter played by former Vampire Diaries star Nathaniel Buzolic. David has also been hiding his true nature and living as a human. Rounding out the rest of the cast are Pretty Little LiarsSean Faris as Julian Durant, Violet's brother; Stephen Martines as Detective Freddie Costa, Roth's mentor; and Danielle Savre as shapeshifter Margo Hayden.

Supernatural has been criticized over the years for its mistreatment of female characters, in that there has never been a regular female character on the series, and those who've recurred, including Meg (Nicki Aycox, Rachel Miner), Jo (Alona Tal), Bela (Lauren Cohan), and Ruby (Genevieve Padalecki, Katie Cassidy), were often treated poorly before eventually being written off. Felicia Day's Charlie is the most recent recurring female character to be whisked away to a far-off land—literally, because she's in Oz with Dorothy right now—and she's generally liked by fans. I'll be watching closely on Tuesday, April 29 when Bloodlines airs as a backdoor pilot during Supernatural's ninth season. Don't f*ck this up, guys. You only get one chance.

thekaitling:list:which-title-do-you-like-better/

I liked the concept of Metafiction, even though I hate Metatron. That was an amazing episode. Maybe they should do one with the Angels point of view, or Demons. But the whole five families thing kind of sucked. Because the boys won't just let them go, they kill people.

May 01, 2014
EXACTLY! It would be much better with someone Sam & Dean didn't want to, or could not kill.
Apr 23, 2014
Supernatural: Casa Erotica would be fitting,
Mar 14, 2014
I still have trouble understanding how this will be in the same universe as Sam and Dean. These werewolves will have to be the Mother Teresa of wolves because if Dean gets a say so he will gank every single one of them just for looking the wrong way.
Mar 17, 2014
Naw, they just have to be like that pack Garth is part of that Sam and Dean both let go.
Mar 14, 2014
When is Bloodlines getting it's own page on TV.Com?
Mar 14, 2014
When I first heard about Supernatural I remember thinking "that guy from Dark Angel is in this? OK, could be good". This series on the other hand proudly boasts actors from the likes of Vampire Diaries and Arrow. Oh dear.

Not to mention the fact that they now appear to have stolen their catchline from Vampire: The Masquerade.
Mar 17, 2014
Nothing wrong with "Arrow".
Mar 13, 2014
The premise for Tribes/Bloodlines is really very uncreative and flat.

It sounds exactly like many other genre shows already airing, TO ,TVD Bitten, and has no connection to original SPN at all, other than the fact that Sam and Dean will make a quick appearance in the'pilot' episode.

It would have been far more honest to leave Supernatural out of the title and leave the show to stand and fall on its own merits, but of course TPTB are expecting that to pull in long-term fans.

Other than a natural curiosity to see what Carv and his writers serve us up, this 'spin-off leaves me absolutely cold.

The writing team would be better dedicating their efforts to giving us good SPN bro-bond eps, as Sam and Dean are the reason Supernatural is still one of the CW's top shows.

Who knows how this umpteenth pilot will go; I fear it will follow the demise of 'Cult' or 'Emily Owens 'more than the success of Supernatural!
Mar 13, 2014
oh and this show's going to suck. it's a pity that they have to work with the post-vampire-craze aspects of pop culture to do another metaphorical romp (i mean that vampires and werewolves are metaphors for types of people in and of themselves) where it's beautiful people with monstrous "dark" sides who have problems and rah rah rah.... if they went and created another duo/trio/team of hunters who went around having vintage s1-s2 type "monster of the week" adventures (you know, recreating the early years of SPN before it got story-arc-intensive) that could be ok, but instead focusing on beautiful people (who literally have monstrous "dark" sides) with problems we're just gonna get another iteration of the vampire diaries, which hey isn't that what the CW really wants anyways?
Mar 13, 2014
dude you can't bemoan supernatural for having to kill off any attractive/interesting female characters rather quickly in an overtly grisly manner; it's a function of their diehard "hambeast" fandom (who oft populate tumblr) not liking them to the point of revolt and therefore the show's quick to appease said fanbase by making sure nobody on screen hangs around the brothers long enough to start some kind of relationship with them (that might get in the way of any "mary sue" type fantasies these fans like to envision themselves having with sam/dean)

in fact it's become a time honored tradition for people watching supernatural to see an interesting/attractive female character show up early on in an episode and immediately begin to predicting how long it's going to take for her to end up dead. the last case i can think of was that demonic chick working @ the NSA listening post; everyone was like "oh yeah she has no chance" and sure enough by the end of the episode abaddon (a character who obviously is bad and evil and ultimately going to get hers, as opposed to the face-turn that crowley has basically had since he first started showing up in season t) took care of the chick. i reckon there's a drinking game that could be made out of this; until then we'll just have to continue cracking jokes in various live threads when the show airs.

so yeah, i suppose you can blame both the success of the show and the impact of bela all the way back in season 3 for this situation. TL;DR = as long as supernatural's putting on along there will be no recurring female character with traditionally modelesque looks (charlie doesn't count, as felicia day is, naturally, supposed to embody the "quirky" mary sue type character; not to mention that no offense to felicia aesthetically speaking she isn't striking the fear of god into the hearts of tumblr massive, so wil wheaton can stand down and not have to worry about whooping my ass for talking wise about his heroine felicia =) who can survive long enough to seriously piss off the fandom by potentially being some sort of a companion to dean and/or sam. even poor lisa and ben had to get written off quicky, as in the end there is no doubt that dean and sam are always going to be available for any and all fantasies cooked up by the most hardcore of SPN fans/
Mar 17, 2014
I don't disagree but Lisa and Ben were terrible characters. There was nothing believable or compelling about either of them and they were basically one shot characters who got expanded and each time they showed up the situation got worse and more ridiculous.

As for Charley, all else aside, the fangirls are comfortable because she's a lesbian and thus not a threat to their fantasies. :)
Mar 14, 2014
I'm sure there's a place for women in SPN -- the writers/casting folks just have to get the formula right. She can't be a bitch (Bela), evil monster (Ruby), milk toast (Lisa and Amelia), childish brat (Jo Harvelle), or bobble-headed flake (Tracy Bell).
Ideally, she should be a hunter with enough grit, courage, and smarts to deserve a place next to one of the boys. She'd essentially need to be a female version of them. I personally think the show is molding Jody Mills into becoming a hunter, but she's too old to be a romantic interest for either of the boys. A character more like Tara or Ellen would work, but she'd also have to be younger.
Eventually, it would be nice to see something like that develop. The fans don't automatically hate women on the show -- we're just very protective of our boys!
Mar 17, 2014
But one the major aurgements I heard about Bella when she was on the show was fangirls didn't like it when she showed them up. So, if you have a hunter they can't be better than Sam and Dean in anyway and will have to defur to them in all things.

Given the sucess of Charley a lebian couple would probably be okay as there would be no chance of them hooking up with the guys at all.
Mar 17, 2014
You may be right about Bela. I knew she was unpopular, but never heard a single concrete reason why. I disliked her because she was a manipulative, evil bitch who was constantly working against the boys. I think fans would actually like a smart woman (Charlie is very smart, and so is Jody Mills -- not a lesbian, by the way), as long as she doesn't pose a threat to the boys and uses her skills to help them. I'd actually like to see a character like that...
Mar 18, 2014
I rememeber all the bashing well. Especially, in "Bad Day At Black Rock". There's one scene where she picked Dean's pocket without anyone knowing and fans called BS. The later, in the same episode, it's obvious she's stealing his scratch off tickets and fans complained it was TOO obviuous. There was litterly no winning with them. I also remember the verynlaughable post one person made questioning how at about the same age as Dean she could be at their talent level. Hello. They're at that level to and about her age. It was just blind hate. Pretty sure Jody gets a pass because she's too old for either of them.
Mar 14, 2014
&The; fans don't automatically hate women on the show -- we're just very
&protective; of our boys!

It's... disturbing. TV characters - and people - come in all sorts of personalities. Price Peterson nailed it the other day in one of his The Originals recaps....

Literally do not tell me who to root for on a TV series. I don't care if you are a superfan just doing your thing or a showrunner whose JOB it is to make me feel certain ways; when it comes to the character I will become most invested in, that is MY decision and my decision only. Personally I always like the funny, strong-willed female character and that's just how it's always been.... But everybody is different! Maybe you tend to root for the sarcastic, witty males or, I don't know, muscular transgender shark people. But I think we ALL have a specific type we're most likely to become invested in, and from the writers' standpoint there's really no way to tell which member of an ensemble will click with individual viewers except maybe ALL OF THEM in some way to somebody. That's why the best TV shows provide a spectrum of heroes. Because options! But seriously, don't tell me who to root for, that is just too personal.
More +
Mar 12, 2014
I still think this spin off is a truly awful idea. No doubt! So it has a better name. So what! Melissa Roxburgh first female actor. Ok. So a little known actress (at least to me) hopefully gets she big break. It is about the only positive thing I can see here. In case you are struggling to think where the Arrow link comes in she appears in 2 episodes in season 2 as one of Thea's friend. Like most actors today she is young 22 and attractive. Let's hope shes got acting skills. I admit I had to look that up. I saw her face and initially just could not place her. Being honest even now I still can't. Following Supernatural is going to be a scary hard gig!
Mar 14, 2014
Thank you! Even having watched every Arrow episode and looking her up and the name of the character she played on IMDb I still couldn't figure out who she was on the show.
To the CW -
Please, please, please do not fuck this up and tarnish the legacy of 9 watchable seasons that we have been granted so far. Thank you for everything you have done for Supernatural, but we have enough dramatic soap-worthy thoughtless mind numbing IQ decimating trash on the air as it is if that's where you are taking yet another (OMG you mean neither one knows that the other one is, wow, i mean, they won't know until next week, or next week, or ooh I just can't stop watching. . . .) step in that direction please harm yourselves to the point where you don't get to make decisions that affect my entertainment pretty please.
Mar 12, 2014
Supernatural: Destiel Is Canon, or
Supernatural: A Profound Bond
Supernatural: NCIS: Chicago
Supernatural: Electric Boogaloo
Mar 11, 2014
I'm not bothered by the treatment of women in the show. I would be surprised if a show about two macho, monster-fighting brothers had well-rounded and accurate female characters. I mean, even the guest/recurring male characters aren't well developed or fleshed out. You forgot about Sheriff Mills, though. To me, she's one of the best characters, female or otherwise, because she's truly just a tough, no-nonsense woman. She accepts the presence of the supernatural without much question and remains a strong character.
Mar 11, 2014
This whole thing sucks as bad as the Breaking Bad sequel sucks.I will watch it because I am fan of this series, but I don'y like it already.The premisse is full of BS.
Mar 11, 2014
And you know they both suck because you've seen them?
Mar 11, 2014
Breaking Bad : Supernatural!! Lol. Ghosts on meth!!
Supernatural killer cheerleaders!
Mar 11, 2014
I joke of course! I still hate the fact that Sam or the other one hits on a different girl in every episode!!!!
Mar 11, 2014
Slightly better. At least it doesn't sound like a 'Survivor' off-shoot. However, 'Bloodlines' now reminds me of the spin-off of the Vampire Academy book series. Isn't there anyone at The CW who can do better than both these names?! Also, drop the 'Supernatural'. For God's sake they're better than all the NCIS's and CSI's.
Mar 11, 2014
How about we just forget about a Supernatural spinoff, entirely.
Mar 11, 2014
"mafia-like monster families who run the Windy City"

Change it to San Francisco and you have Kindred: The Embraced.
Mar 11, 2014
damn, I remember that show.... loved it as a teenager.. haven't thought about it in years.
Mar 11, 2014
The only female character weakness that the show "suffers" from in my opinion is that most of the female recurring characters tend to be evil. But evil or not they are powerful. So it doens't really bother me much. And Charlie is cool, even though she's been whisked off to another land. I don't think it's a problem really, since no matter what happens the show is continuously entertaining.
Mar 14, 2014
This character has killed or whisked off just about every character its ever created - this does bother me.

Also, continuously entertaining - even the Leviathans?!?

Continuously entertaining to me would have been actually sealing off Hell last season and converting Crowley. Then in this season a weepy, sentimental demon and a grace-stripped former angel join Sam and Dean on a road trip to deal with the angels. Either they'd also tackle the source of all monsters - as they should have done with the Purgatory angle - and the show ends after season 10 with a finally happy ending - including a parody of the final scene of Return of the Jedi with a ghost Bobby and John standing in for Obi-wan and Yoda (with Bobby calling them 'Idjits' one last time) - or the show ends after season 10 and we get a Ghostfacers spin-off... or a Crowley and Castiel spin-off... or a Men Of Letters spin-off... or an Oz spin-off... anything other than the current spin-off.

Mar 16, 2014
There were so many options for spin-offs. I talked about that w/my best friend. There were several eps in which I thought "hey that'd make a great spin-off" Men of letters spin-off would be so cool. Maybe it could even be like a period drama, take place in the 20's or Victorian Times or something.
Mar 11, 2014
I like Sheriff Mills, too. She's a strong character.
Mar 11, 2014
Her along with the Harvelles were pretty badass female characters who were the good guys.
Mar 11, 2014
I was sad to see them go.
Mar 11, 2014
Mistreatment of women? Not enough strong female characters? Oh come the fuck on it's horror-ish. Go watch Rizzoli and Isles et al. (now that is full blooded horror) and tell me the men aren't all idiots, inferior to women in ways and/or criminals to knock about. I digress.
The concept sounds creaky. A hunter after known and/or supposed supernatural mafia types? Does he have to wait for them to woge like in Grimm before he has a Scooby?
I'm sure Dean would call the 'new lady werewolf' a bitch at some point. Oh now I see what all the fuss is about. TSK!
Mar 10, 2014
"Bloodlines" would be way better than "Supernatural: Bloodlines", but we're getting there.
Mar 11, 2014
I just think the fact they're keeping Supernatural in the title sounds like they have no faith in the show being able to stand on its own. Or theyre hoping to save up on not having to advertise as much...
Mar 11, 2014
NCIS, and CSI, and Law & Order all had their spin-offs keep their initials in the title. The precedent is there.
Mar 12, 2014
Correlation vs. causation.... I still feel the same thing applied to those shows as well. The difference is, they just happened to be successful. Sadly, that same success didnt carry over for Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior.
Mar 10, 2014
i thought about a spin-off for supernatural that revolves around demons and angels that live on earth and try to cope with each other .. with potential triangle love story that involve demon , angels and humans ..

just like TVD or True Blood
Mar 11, 2014
PLEASE NO LOVE TRIANGLES!
Mar 11, 2014
please dont give them any ideas
Mar 14, 2014
Are you kidding? TV.com just ran an article complaining about television comedy dying and you're missing the perfect solution... CROWLEY AND CASTIEL AS ROOMMATES.
Mar 10, 2014
Supernatural: Greatly Dissed Before Any Actual Viewing......

Naturally Super: The Next Generation
Mar 10, 2014
Supernatural: How I Met Your Dad, Saul Goodman.
Mar 10, 2014
best title supernatural: we need to stop making crap shows
Mar 10, 2014
If a TV show that is purportedly about two hunters and how they are saving people and hunting things is called Supernatural, then one that is purportedly about the supernatural and how they run Chicago should be called Hunters.
Mar 10, 2014
Hey, wait a second, this is just the premise of The Originals with a different city name substituted.
Mar 14, 2014
Yeah, it's The Originals with maybe a bit of Caprica thrown in.
Mar 10, 2014
Bloodlines is slightly better!Still think Supernatural:Nightstalkers would be good!Other names that could work are.....Endgame,Shadows,Nigthwatch,Soul Hunters or Darkness Ascending.
Mar 10, 2014
Supernatural: Monster Mash :)
Mar 10, 2014
Get rid of "supernatural" in the title. Just because it works for CSI or NCIS doesn't mean the CW needs it. The Originals does fine without tvd in the title and so will this if it is any good.
Mar 11, 2014
I still don't get how a spin off can have no Winchesters in it (it should be like a cousin of the boys). Or it should someone in it that is already established (like Crowley).
Mar 10, 2014
My thought as well. And of course, if they're going to have female characters who DON'T die gory terrible deaths, clearly it can't be 'Supernatural' ;) so they might as well title it differently. I like the 'Hunters' suggestion above.
Mar 11, 2014
Kind of hard when it seems all the Winchesters except Sam and Dean are dead. Maybe they should take the rift between them all the way and have one of them leave to do the other show. The fans would 'love' that. :)
Mar 12, 2014
You mean all four of them? I still think there could be a first or second cousin of the boys because I don't recall that it was ever said that John or John's dad was an only child. john's dad could have had siblings. Other than John's dad, the Winchester side of the family has never been explored.
Mar 12, 2014
to libra113: They did a lot with the Campbells (which is cool when we found out how Sam and Dean got their names). We just don't really know for sure. I hope that is something that they explain for sure before the series ends.
Mar 12, 2014
It's possible but it would be a hard sale that they hadn't tracked down Sam and Dean by now and the Winchester connection to the world of Supernatural is a bit shaky. Apprently, the Men of Letters is their connection but they've been out of operation so any Winchesters still kicking are either not involved with all that or have been working on their own or something.
Mar 12, 2014
Oh, no, I totally agree with that (that all the Winchesters are dead, and hence, none left to spare for Chicago!). My thought was re: the original poster, having no 'supernatural' in the title.

That said, they did have a couple of interesting characters on the show whom they could spin off. There was this one girl whom her boyfriend turned into a ... werewolf? Vampire? Some sort of monster? And they let her live at the end and she went off by herself; the last scene was her walking along some train tracks, and I remembered wondering, then, if she wouldn't be a good spinoff idea...

...or, clearly, they should make a spin-off from the perspective of the monsters and demons. The big baddies of the show would be these two dysfunctional, homicidal brothers who drive around the country in an Impala, brutally killing all these poor, honest-working underworld creatures who are just trying to make a living ... :D

Mar 12, 2014
She was a werewolf. I do think they should've somehow populated the new show with 'mosters' they live. Maybe they all ended up at a safe house of an apartment building run by an ex-hunter and they're support grouping each other to try and not kill and go full monster. Could be an allegory for AA maybe even throw in a Rougaro trying not to feed and fully turn.
Mar 10, 2014
I prefer Supernatual; What the F$%k are we doing.