The Truth Is Right Here: Fox Is Officially Resurrecting The X-Files, and You Should Be Skeptical

I've got good news for all you skeptics and weirdos in the crowd! Fox has rummaged through its series graveyard and dug up a classic for revival—and it's not just any classic, it's THE classic.

The X-Files will return to Fox as a six-episode event series, 13 years after the conclusion of its initial run. And no, John Mulaney and Jane Lynch won't be playing famed FBI agents and truth-seekers Fox Mulder and Dana Scully, because that would be sacrilegious. Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny will reprise their roles, because The X-Files wouldn't work any other way.

Original series mastermind Chris Carter is behind the project, which Fox execs confirmed was in development at the Television Critics Association winter press tour in January. While the network hasn't yet announced a premiere date (or any other details), the new X-Files will begin production this summer, and unless some great government conspiracy wants to keep the show locked up, you can reasonably expect it to air sometime during the 2015–2016 TV season.

So... is the return of The X-Files something we really want? Well, there are reasons to be Mulder excited and Scully nervous. Fox successfully rebooted 24 with 24: Live Another Day, so that show's success bodes well for the revival of another of Fox's most famous properties. But The X-Files movie that came out after the show's run, 2008's The X-Files: I Want to Believe, was a disappointment, and Carter's attempt to return to television with Amazon's The After was atrocious (and canceled before it could even debut).

So you have the right to be skeptical. Scully would have wanted it that way.

Jul 10, 2018
Im making over $7k a month working part time. I kept hearing other people tell me how much money they can make online so I decided to look into it. Well, it was all true and has totally changed my life.please clicks here......www.silverask.com
Jun 09, 2015
How the hell can they do this in the continuity of the original series. It ended with Mulder and Scully helpless to prevent the alien invasion scheduled for 2012!
May 15, 2015
Has Hollywood gone dry on ideas?
Jun 09, 2015
Yes. Next question?
May 08, 2015
Hmh, not quite sure what to expect from this. Many x-file episodes were quite ok, Some were superb ... If they cut out the crap average episodes and keep the amazing ones it might work. But ... I have my doubts and will keep them until proven otherwise.
Apr 07, 2015
First Twin Peaks and now The X Files comi g back for limited runs this is so awesome! So now TXF is gonna be back how about the awesome and underrated Milennium? Lance Henrikson is still around and acting he has been on the Blacklist lately, are u listening Chris Carter and Fox?
Aug 07, 2015
Well we can now add another show coming back, another FOX show Prison Break! And yeah everyone will be in it of course the most we need is Michael Schofield and Lincoln Burrows. Maybe the plot can be the two of them breaking Jack Bauer out of a Russian prison! lol I love that for some reason they are bringing back shows but other than Twin Peaks they are shows that concluded, well I guess u can say they were open ended i mean we have had an X files movie and a Prison Break epilogue movie and for those who have seen the ending of PB they have alot of explaining to do about how certain characters are in it but hey 24 S9 worked out good IMO so w e will see
Aug 07, 2015
This comment has been removed.
Apr 01, 2015
Oh, I definitely believe it can exist in this universe, a new 6-parter of the X-Files. The most important thing is to not have M&S act as if they're 30-ish. They've aged, and their life experience has expanded accordingly. As long as the writers (Chris and buddies) bear that in mind and have a solid story put together, I'm in. I loved "the Movie" but was rather disappointed with the second one.
And apparently CSM is coming back. You gotta be kidding: the dude was blown to kingdom come in the end! What happened?
(I'm still a freak. Tons of lines from eight seasons spring to mind. 'That's why they put the I... in FBI' 'Hey Scully! Who'd you piss of to get stuck with this detail?' 'Mulder? Where are you? The drunk tank?' 'Are you Luis Cardinal? ARE YOU LUIS CARDINAL?!' etc *happy smiles*)
In other words: Bring it On!
Mar 29, 2015
yes! I'm so excited for this!! I hope it's better than the movie
Mar 28, 2015
I am a huge X-Files fan and always hoped it would return in some format. But the last film was a disappointment. If chris carter makes this more like the show and not the last film this could be the best comeback of any show. I am so thrilled and can't wait to see them. However lets hope it's the show we all remember. Best thing is both actors are reprising their roles because without them it wouldn't work. I am counting down the days until I can revel in the joy of my first sci-fi love again and not have to hide the fact I'm still a fan. A huge fan.
Mar 27, 2015
It's impossible not be be thrilled that my co-favorite show of all time is coming back! (The Night Stalker). I'm hoping the 6 episodes are focused on the alien conspiracy and not just 6 random stories that Chris Carter has dreamed up over the years. It's going to be a long wait till the first episode airs. The suspense might kill me!
Mar 27, 2015
Gilian Anderson is going to be a busy woman flying all over the world filming. First, Italy and Canada for Hannibal and then Russia and Latvia for War and Peace and then back to Ireland for the Fall. Now X-file again.
I say: PARTAY!
Mar 26, 2015
I don't care if its Mulder or Scully who says it but one of them has to say in the pilot episode
"I'm too old for this shit!"
Mar 26, 2015
I don't care WHAT they do, I am just happy its back. And hey, the whole thing is a toss up anyway, just like this show was way back when. In S1. The little show that could is back again to kick ass!
Mar 26, 2015
I wonder if that SOB Alex Krycek will appear, lol.
Apr 07, 2015
Well the SOB is dead last time checked, but than again this is the x Files so he could appear in a dream sequence or vision/flashback or a shapeshifter so yeah it's possible. The same goes for Cigarette smoking man
Apr 11, 2015
Krycek has been dead before. I want to see him in wheelchair missing a leg, arm and eye doing his best Stephen Hawking impression.
Mar 26, 2015
I am not skeptical. BRING IT ON!
Mar 25, 2015
I wish that TNT would show reruns like they used to instead Law & Order all the time. But great news!!
Mar 25, 2015
I think my avatar would express just how much I'm looking forward to this. It's almost too good to be true. Someone pinch me.
Mar 26, 2015
I couldn't figure out how to pinch you via the Internet, but you can imagine I just poked you with the thumb icon I just clicked instead.
Mar 25, 2015
Probably a good idea. Surprising that they're not doing another movie but maybe tv would be the best place to get critical opinion up after the last film. 6 episodes sounds like a great way to create a well thought out plot that could really bring the buzz; it's not too many.
Mar 25, 2015
I'm cautiously optimistic. I like this in theory, but I would hope they can attract some of the the past writers to come back, or to at least participate in the writers room. I'm very cautious about the idea that, being as short as it is, it will be all Chris Carter.
Mar 25, 2015
yeah sadly it's the Chris Carter part i'm most worried about...
Mar 26, 2015
I think thats the part most people are worried about.
Mar 25, 2015
I wonder if Vince Gilligan could make some time for it....
Mar 26, 2015
Actually, I'd prefer Darin Morgan or Morgan & Wong worked on the new series, they wrote some of the best episodes.
Mar 25, 2015
Is Fox that desperate for money?
Mar 27, 2015
NBC is bringing back 'Coach'. UGH.
Now who do you call desperate?
At least X-Files is well worth another look.
Mar 25, 2015
Fox could have a Trillion dollars and they would still be THAT desperate for money.
Mar 25, 2015
I am excited for it but i don't want it to be a continuing series, i want them to finish the alien invasion story and then let the show die..... please don't bring it back and make the same mistakes they did with season 8 (for the most part) and the entire final season.... Mulder & Scully are the heart of the show....
Mar 25, 2015
I never quite got the hang of x-files. Every story I remember went something like this: Some mysterious thing is happening, Fox Mulder is there and totally in awe but Dana Scully, rushing to the scene, accidentally runs into a tree and gets knocked out. In the end she never gets to witness it and stays the 'sceptic'. Rinse, repeat, next episode.

All the while I so much want to not disbelieve. But if time and again the story is constructed in a way so that the premise can always stay the same my suspension thereof just goes poof.
Mar 27, 2015
jojask, That was true in the early episodes but half way thru the first season the show began to explore it's mythology and got better and better.... until the cast changes towards the end of the series.
Mar 25, 2015
How many episodes did you actually watch? I haven't watched an episode in awhile but I wanna say by season 3 (??) she wasn't a skeptic anymore, and it was Mulder that kept getting injured, not Scully. You should check out more episodes! It was a great show!!
Mar 25, 2015
I would say 10, throughout the first three seasons, borrowed from my brother's stash who is/was a great fan. I picked episodes where I liked the title.
Problem was, I really liked the show. I liked the idea, and how it was approached. But i felt so played for fool watching it. Just too many times where I went 'Yeah, right, as if ...'

But I think I really will give it another go. I told my brother about this here thing, and that got him right in the mood of watching it again. :-)
And my whole 'research' somehow had the same effect.
Mar 25, 2015
This comment has been removed.
Mar 25, 2015
The kind of person who hasn't seen too many episodes but those he did he experienced just as described. And got utterly bored. You very easily hurt fanboy you. ;-)
Mar 26, 2015
Can't directly reply to your other post so i have to reply here

You say everything seemed a bit too coincidental and repetitive in the episodes you have seen but that is a TV Trope, you see it every single tv show, especially shows that have a majority of procedural structure, which X-Files was guilty of, despite being heavily serialised in nature, the truth is (no pun intended) it had A LOT more MoTW episode.....

i would love to know what shows you actually like to see if those shows have the same tropes because i can guarantee the shows we all watch have the 'as-if' moments....
But it entertainment, i don't watch shows to pick holes in every little thing, and look for the realistic nature in every little detail.... i watch it for entertainment and because i fall in love with the characters and the story.

Mar 26, 2015
Shows I enjoy most are almost always procedural. That would be Lost, Fargo, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Justified, etc.
Justified is a bit of an exception in that they often have a villain of the week all the while advancing the season's overall plot. As far as I'm concerned, they do it really brilliantly. It all works seamlessly together and everything that happens seems to happen naturally.

I realize that episodic shows have to maintain the initial premise. But some do it more clumsy than others.
As I said above, I cannot maintain my suspension of disbelief if I see the workings behind the plot. If I virtually can see a laundry list for the writers of what is supposed to happen and what is not supposed to happen. And especially if the writers treat these guidelines as of having no real importance. Like, 'Whatever, they'll swallow it ..."
At the time I was watching it, The X-Files seemed to me to be very guilty of that.

On the other hand, I have seen only a small fraction of the 200 or so episodes. I know I wasn't entirely fair in my first comment, but I wasn't entirely serious either. I thought it was rather light-hearted and not to be taken as a condemnation.
More +
Mar 25, 2015
There was never an episode were, as you so beautifully put it, "Dana Scully, rushing to the scene, accidentally runs into a tree and gets knocked out"

It has nothing to do with being a fanboy and something to do with your ignorance and blasphemous attempt and trying to get a reaction with idiot statements like the one above....
Mar 25, 2015
So I checked, just in case aliens implanted me with false memories, but it's right there (almost), in the very first episode: Mulder and Scully are running through the woods. Mulder is faster, Scully lags behind and gets hit on the head with a flashlight from some guy standing there totally not hiding behind a tree (granted, it was a bit dark). Scully has to recover and give the guy a good talking to, all the while Mulder etc. etc.

I remember at the time I thought this scene to be a bit, you know ... what a coincidence! It was just too obvious. The sceptic has to stay the sceptic and all that.
And then I watched other episodes, and it was always the same. It was always: Is it? Is it not? Mulder knew, the audience knew, but hmmm ...
So I thought, stuff that. It's a cheap trick to get a certain dynamics going, nothing more.

I realize, in later seasons things changed. But the show had already lost me.
Mar 25, 2015
I can't decide... this constant nostalgic retreading of old content is sad, but I kind of do want to see it.
Get the guys from Fringe to collaborate on the new X-Files = MIND BLOWN
Mar 25, 2015
OK, so Fox is desperate for success, right? Because there was no way that they revived anything if everything was going all right. Anyway, I don't have a problem with that. A personal request though: please bring back Firefly can you?

As for The X-Files, though I'm old enough, I never really watched it in its original run (different country) but I'm happy for all you fans of the original show. I hope it doesn't disappoint.
Mar 27, 2015
Movie and TV businesses revive concepts all the time. Half of the blockbuster movies for 2015 are reimagined old films or part 2, part 3, etc. TV Networks are the same. For heavens sake NBC is bringing back 'Coach'...

Mar 25, 2015
I'm so excited I can barely contain myself. I happen to be rewatching it right now for the umpteenth time. This is one of, if not THE greatest show ever. It paved the way for so many other shows like it. I always prefer serialized shows but this show did stand alone episodes better than any show before or since. For me both the mythology episodes and the MOTW episodes were equally great. The chemistry between Mulder and Scully, their relationship, the humor just made this show outstanding. OK, now i'm just gushing, I'll stop.
Mar 25, 2015
"It paved the way for so many other shows like it."

Yes, but it itself owes a lot to The prisoner and The invaders.

"I always prefer serialized shows but this show did stand alone episodes better than any show before or since."

Agree, it has many great stand-alones, and few shows created as many memorable villains/monsters. Too bad it didn't go on a high note, maybe this "event series" will be the occasion to right that wrong.
Mar 27, 2015
I believe Kolshack: The Night Stalker was another true inspiration for The XFiles.

NUFF SAID
Mar 25, 2015
a few things. 1, this better mean fox will release the series in HD. 2, all of the movies were atrocious. as was the serialized plot given enough time to become convoluted which it ultimately did to a great deal. it was the standalone episodes that had mulder and scully playing off one another and other great guest stars and regulars that were the strongest episodes. 3, that dude behind breaking bad was a part of the x-files maybe he was responsible for some of its success given his success following the show and battle creek is a bit of a stinker as much as I want to like it so maybe he can get involved with this reboot. though that dude who played the main guy on breaking bad's x-files episode was not one of its strongest.

if nothing else comes of this, the original being released in HD would make it all worth while IMO. while you can adapt to letterbox you shouldn't have to given your missing some of the picture and the option to release it in widescreen is there.
Mar 25, 2015
Just to be clear, you are talking about Bryan Cranston when you speak of the main guy from Breaking bad in the x files episode aren't you. just 2 things i'd want to point out to you firstly that the three main Breaking Bad male cast members have been in X files episodes Bryan Cranston, Aaron Paul and Dean Norris. Secondly since i gather you are referring to Bryan Cranston in the episode entitled 'Drive' from season 6. He was actually cast in the Walter white role due specifically by his performance in that x files episode. This was because during that episode of the x files Vince Gillian found it hard to find an actor who could play a sympathetic villain, then after casting him immediately considered him for the role of Walter White. It was a good thing to really as both Sony and AMC wanted to cast either John Cusack or Mathew Broderick for the Heisenberg role which would have been a disaster in the making.
John Cusack or Matthew Broderick? Really? LOL
Mar 25, 2015

check it out, it's the 7th piece of trivia on the page.
Mar 25, 2015
I can hardly wait to see The X Files back on the small screen. My favorite TV show of all times. I hope this also helps with the release of the original series on Blu Ray. It's been rumored for almost three years now without an official announcement. Folks in Germany are watching Season one in full HD, taking up the entire TV screen and full of vivid details..
Mar 25, 2015
I just don't know. It's not something I was hoping for but it could be okay. At this point I'd prefer a heavily serialised alien-centric version rather than monster of the week fare.
Mar 25, 2015
From the wording of the announcement, I'm guessing it will be 6 independent stories with some overarching thread to tie this "event series" together.
Mar 25, 2015
the monster of the week episodes were the best ones (not including the second movie) as they were always able to solve those crimes. The alien story driven episodes all just seemed exactly the same, with mulder thinking he's coming closer to the truth in each episode, only to spend 9 seasons being misdirected. He spends 9 years trying to find the so called truth about alien life, but had himself been aboard an alien vessel only minutes before it flew off into space during the first movie. this made me feel like the only reason he continued his search was because scully was asleep while it happened and she wouldn't believe him. Since they ended the original series run with them discovering the truth about the invasion, it would be rather boring if they just focus on aliens for the full 6 episode, especially since the invasion has already come and gone. it would just be a show about mulder accusing a bunch of human looking aliens to be E.B.E's
Mar 27, 2015
Good points. Don't get me wrong, I loved most of the monster of the week stories at the time but I don't think we need to go back to that. I'm confident they could tell a really gripping, alien story and give it some proper closure if they wanted to.
Mar 25, 2015
I hope this new series will not ruin the great memories I had of the original one, although it will be good to see Mulder and Scully again.

If Fox is bringing back old shows, then it has got to be Firefly. Now, that would be extremely awesome! Only then I can forgive them for cancelling the show and Almost Human.
Mar 25, 2015
If Fox is bringing back old shows, they also REALLY need to consider one of the funniest shows in TV history, Parker Lewis Can't Lose. Love to see Brisco County return too.
Mar 25, 2015
The only news that would top the X-Files being rebooted would be that Firefly was!
Mar 25, 2015
It doesn't matter whether I'm skeptical or not about how good it will be, because it WILL be good! This is great news.
Mar 25, 2015
Damn..i'm so lost on where the X-Files was heading.. its been so long!

A reboot would be good, I totally enjoyed the series..just that i'm pretty old now...:D
Mar 25, 2015
X-Files is one of my favorate TV shows of all time, all I can say is sweet. Though I'm wondering what the intial plot will be. I remember IDW comics had their version of the next season which was soild, hopefully this six parter they have will follow suit.

One of the great things about this decade is the fact there bringing a lot of old shows back just showing that most of these old cars still have plenty of power.
May'be after this we can have Firefly which would be so awesome, it will have to take place years latter since most of the cast are older. May'be also Millenum and Fringe, I see no reason not to.
Mar 25, 2015
The After was not atrocious, reviews with content stand up better than making generalized offhand statements. It clearly needed the "Chris Carter setup time" before it got better, but atrocious, not at all.
Mar 27, 2015
I was enjoying the setup of The After story until the ending. The monster/alien reveal was disappointing. I would still have watched the series if it had moved forward but am almost thankfully that I am not committed to a show based on potential rather than execution.
Mar 25, 2015
Didn't watch it myself but based on the amount of people really angry with Amazon's decision not to move forward with it after saying they were I would agree that it's a ridiculous thing to say it was "atrocious".
Mar 25, 2015
I thought it was a atrocious too.
Mar 25, 2015
This show gave me nightmares when I was a kid, I lived in Austria at the time, and if the show wasn't scary enough, It aired dubbed to German... scary shit :-P
Hope it'll be good like 24's was...
Now, FOX, since almost every show you broadcast this year failed, with the exception of Empire, I think it's time to do these:

FRINGE: Back to the Future and The Other Side
24: Saving Jack Bauer
Firefly: Season 2
Terminator SCC: Resolving the cliffhanger
And the biggest dream off all, since 20th Century FOX only produced, not aired:
Buffy: Save the World... Again!
Mar 27, 2015
Terminator Sarah Connors Chronicles? Totally agree.
Terminator had grown into a very good series and ended with a cliffhanger that promised a lot more story to be told. That one hurt a little.
I would add Space Beyond and Above which was handled by Morgan and Wong who had an X-Files connection. Once again that cliffhanger ending. Ugh.
Mar 28, 2015
I have to reply to your comment here because it won't let me reply to your comment on the other thread :/

It's regarding you calling Dollhouse a mess

I am the first to admit that the first season was a MASSIVE disappointment (which was FOX's fault AGAIN) but 'Epitaph One' was an incredible episode and the second (and final) season was absolutely fantastic throught.....
Say what you want about the state of season 1 but it is undeniable that season 2 definitely improved and had one of the best final few episodes i have seen in a cancelled series..... a perfect end to a great show
Mar 29, 2015
I think we agree about Dollhouse. Season 1 started as a 'mess', in my opinion, until the mythology of the series grew later that season. At that point it did become very good series.
Goes to show that the Four Show thumbs up/down review articles are premature.
Mar 25, 2015
Terminator.... Yes please :)
Mar 25, 2015
Fox is considering Prison Break revival and 24 new mini season.

What I would like to see of course is Fringe and Firefly without a doubt but NOT A CHANCE of this happening :(
Mar 26, 2015
I'd love some sort of Prison Break revival. Some sort of 6 parter, like they are doing here, would be great. Might be tricky without Michael, but maybe Bagwell can escape yet again. Lol
Mar 25, 2015
Buffy has saved the world since then- and a lot more than the world! You just need to pick up Season 8-10- which are official canon and in comic book form =)
Mar 25, 2015
No Thank you... Huge Dawn, skinless warren, Angel killing Giles?! WTF?!?!!? I'm intentionally avoiding those horrible comics, They don't exist in my mind. The best thing about live action Buffy was it's budget, it kept the show grounded, the comics are too out there.
Mar 25, 2015
Buffy is my favourite show of all time and i loved every season but if Joss had that much creative freedom on tv were he could turn Dawn into a giant for a whole season, it would have become a joke.... Canon or not, it was not a part of the show and i don't agree with the direction of it...
Isn't Buffy a lesbian too????? :O
Mar 25, 2015
Buffy being a lesbian is the best part!
Mar 25, 2015
It's just horrible. I'm sticking with the season 8 I made up in my mind years ago... Way better than anything the comics ever came up with.
Mar 25, 2015
I've bought and read all the comics... and I completely agree with you. Comic book form gave the writers too much creative freedom (if such a thing is possible) and it's just gotten ridicoulous.
Mar 26, 2015
Did Buffy came out? She's a Lesbian or Bi? Because if she's a full time lesbian now, it's the most unrealistic character development ever!
Willow's transformation (sorry, can't think of a better word, English isn't my native tong) was organic. Her first and love was her best friend, then had only one boyfriend, and then fell inlove with a girl. But if Buffy just came out, after allways beeing atracted to men, thats just dumb.
Mar 25, 2015
Fringe, YES, Firefly YES. That would be so awesome.
Indeed!
Mar 25, 2015
I am super glad The X-Files is coming back - however - it wish it was with Vince Gilligan or David Amann as showrunner/head writer instead of Chris Carter. I always felt like his eps of the show were some of the worst of the series. He's to X-Files what Tim Kring was to Heroes - a bad showrunner and not very good writer either. But as a concept - I love The X-Files and some of the old ep are just fantastic. So I'll hold out hope, but you better believe I'm skeptical!

Mar 25, 2015
So excited. Remember those old Herbal Essences commercials? Yeah. That's pretty much how I feel about this.
Mar 25, 2015
Well I must say I am excited about this...as long as they make it in a good way and not disappoint us who loved the x-files so much...
Mar 25, 2015
Ok, if it's with Anderson & Duchovny that is fine! Otherwise I would be in a state of severe catatonia! :-P
Mar 25, 2015
Maybe when that guy told Scully "you don't die," he was referring to the show.
Mar 25, 2015
Did they find some friends and relatives that the government had not killed?
rofl
Mar 24, 2015
Are they going to address the elephants in the room?

The Smoking Man revealed in the series finale that the aliens plan to invade in December 2012, so did that happen or not? Is Mulder crusading for the truth or crusading against the oppression inflicted by their alien overlords while constantly saying "I told you so"?

According to said finale but not an issue in the subsequent movie, Mulder should be on the run from a shadowy and powerful organization instead of hanging out in a secret room in Scully's house. The FBI should not have just forgiven & forgotten that Mulder escaped from a secret and rigged trial/tribunal.
Mar 25, 2015
Maybe aliens invaded already and they just don't know it. Then Mulder gets these special sunglasses that lets him see the aliens and the subliminal messages they implant, and he gets a bat and starts quipping, and then he beats up a guy in an alley for fifteen minutes.....no, I'm overthinking this.
Mar 26, 2015
Mulder just needs to borrow Roddy Piper's sunglasses, lol.
Mar 25, 2015
they live! i mean - the truth is out there! heheh...
Mar 25, 2015
ROFLOL...hey that was a good movie...
Mar 24, 2015
This is gonna be big and I can't WAIT!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2015
Let's see, Fox's graveyard of series, hrmm. Would love to see Space: Above and Beyond redone, and Millennium would be a great one to redo. I know that everyone would be saying Firefly but that ship has sailed and sunk. I also think the Roughnecks: Starship Troopers anime show was great and should be brought back.
Mar 27, 2015
Agree.
Space: Above and Beyond was done by Morgan and Wong who were involved in the X-Files previously. Great show with that abrupt cliffhanger finale.
Mar 25, 2015
Now see I would love to see Millennium...the other ones I didn't watch...
Mar 25, 2015
Space: Above and Beyond, one of the greats. Gone way too soon.
Mar 25, 2015
Space: Above and Beyond was soooo good. I loved that episode with Duchovny acting as an A.I pool shark on the Baccus leisure ship. That series had so much going for it.
Mar 24, 2015
starship troopers live action series would be great if it is has cheesy has the film.
Mar 24, 2015
Nice post Tim! I'm happy to see you aren't forcing Kaitlin to do everything.
Mar 24, 2015
I never made it to the end of X-Files, as I missed too many key episodes along the way. It was before the days of binge watching and broadband internet. Question is can I be bothered to traul back through it all again??
Mar 24, 2015
If you're into getting DVDs, just order the 4 packs: Abduction, Black Oil, Colonization(?), and Super Soldier. Altogether, those 4 packs contain the 60 episodes of continuity with the other 250 being monster of the week. Of course, you could also google those episodes and watch them all on netflix. But that's up to you. Or watch them all for the full experience...
Mar 25, 2015
Thats super helpful, thanks!
Mar 25, 2015
Is that really available? I'm considering buying and watching the entire series before it returns (I've watched bits and pieces over the years), but is it really that easy to separate X-Files episodes as either 'serialised with heavy mythology' or 'purely procedural'? Surely there's some overlap between the two? The only reason I ask is that I absolutely love serialised storytelling - and abhor procedurals - so I really don't want to have to wade through so much stand alone monster of the week episodes to see the others.
Mar 27, 2015
I do know for a fact that it's available cuz that's how I bought them haha. The standalone episodes are really good and all, but it's easier to get my friends who are used to story centric series into it with the packs. Even the overlapping episodes (which there are very few of) that include monster of the week with the tidbit about the overarching story are included in the packs. I see them all the time used for super cheap, like 10 bucks. Plus it beats the 9 seasons of like 20 apiece...
Mar 25, 2015
At the time stand-alone and serialized episodes were not mixed, you got either a mythology-heavy episode or one that was self-contained. I stumbled onto a website that listed both types of episodes, you should be able to google it easily to choose which episodes to watch.
There are a few exceptions, some bad guys from stand-alone episodes who come back later, but that's more like a 2-parter and still not mythology.

"I absolutely love serialised storytelling - and abhor procedurals - so I really don't want to have to wade through so much stand alone monster of the week episodes to see the others."

I used to prefer the mythology-heavy episodes, but after the show ended I realized that the mythology was so convoluted (and also incomplete) and some stand-alones are so good that for a partial rewatch I'd go for the stand-alones. Episodes like Darkness falls, Tooms, The field where I died, are fantastic.
Mar 25, 2015
Thanks for the tip. I think I'll just end up watching everything - I think I'd feel like I'd be cheating myself and the series if I chose to watch certain parts and not others. Besides, you're not wrong in saying that there can be great stand alone episodes (I just don't usually enjoy them as much), but from reading a lot of comments on here in seems like The X-Files definitely have a lot worth checking out.
Mar 25, 2015
Go for the full experience.....don't short change yourself....you won't be disappointed.
Mar 24, 2015
Yes you must!
You can watch a few episode a night... If you didn't see the episode with the roaches, prepare to be creeped out! After you are done watch the movies, and by then you'll have new episodes.
Mar 25, 2015
He could skip the second movie. Pretend like it was never made Oh, to have a second chance ...
Mar 25, 2015
The episode "Home" ....where the inbred brothers kept their amputee, toothless mom hidden under the bed.....was a pretty freakin' disturbving episode...lol.
Mar 31, 2015
That episode stretched the boundaries of television horror to new limits. Super creepy and probably the best episode of all.
Mar 25, 2015
Thanks for bringing back a faded memory..
Mar 24, 2015
i am so sick of writers rehashing everything, it started with films and now they are apparently in the process of rehashing 90s hit shows...
What will be next? friends ? Sopranos? buffy?
Writers are lazy, they should write something new without any connection to the x files.
Mar 24, 2015
Honestly, what does everyone involved have left to prove here?

The date was set and long past now.

oh god, William Mulder/Scully is 15 now. I can already see the CW teen drama being inserted.

Please let it R.I.P.!!!

Mar 31, 2015
Yep, that's why I'm wondering where this series picks up. Is it modern day? Then we have to deal with the William. What role will he have? Also, the alien invasion would have already happened, are we going to have back story showing how we escaped their grip, or will we have lost to them? Perhaps still battling for freedom? What about Mulder's sister? When she was finally "found" she turned out to be a clone. Perhaps she'll come back for real and be an alien-fighting bad-ass. There were a lot of conspiracy threads that were never resolved they could tidy up, or they can forget all that and move forward. I'm tired of speculating. I want the truth about those 6 episodes, and I know its out there...
Mar 25, 2015
I was thinking they could cast the guy from Red Band Society.
Load More Comments