The TV.com Roundtable Discussion: Emmys 2012!

The Emmys are upon us, and so we the staff of TV.com decided to get together and talk about them! In this discussion we chat about our personal picks for Emmy glory and we also touch upon one question nagging at many of us: What is the point of the Emmys again? Press play below to hear our scintillating and scandalous thoughts about TV's biggest night!

Be sure to meet us back here on Sunday to live-tweet with us during the show!

Sep 24, 2012
I think it is terrible that I have not yet seen anything about Robin from the Bee Gees in any of the memorials since he died.
Sep 24, 2012
You should add a downloadable version.

A regular TV.com podcast wouldn't be a bad idea.
Sep 23, 2012
Over the last several years, the Emmys have come to mean less and less to me. I can't afford the premium channels so I somewhat resent the large number of nominees coming from the premium channels. And I thought that cable shows weren't allowed, i.e. USA and TNT shows. Yet AMC shows are permitted? I guess I miss the days when the Emmys honored shows that we all could watch.

And personally, I don't find Modern Family funny. LOL but I didn't like Seinfeld either - I guess I have a weird sense of humor. Big Bang Theory was funny at first, but the premise is getting old for me. The only comedy show I actually laugh out loud at is Mike and Molly - love the sister and the whole cast.

Just my two cents - and I respect other people's opinions as well.
Sep 23, 2012
Big Bang and NCIS are my picks!
Sep 23, 2012
(There are some minor spoilers for Mad Men in this comment).

Mad Men has won four in a row?! I had no idea. That's just ridiculous. I think it's pretty good, but seriously, it's not much more than a display of some pretty unlikable people at an office. Most of what's happening there isn't even that interesting. You'd think that the biggest problems they're facing would create a lot of dramatic tension, but they really don't. Even the loss of their biggest client (which stood for something like 70% of their business) didn't feel like a serious problem, and the recovery was far too fast and easy.

Some of the actors are seriously good, especially Jon Hamm. That wasn't obvious at first, but if you've seen the (fourth?) season where he had to play drunk a lot, and had to deal with the death of the original's wife, you know what I'm talking about. If anything on the show deserves an Emmy, it's him, and the people who do all their clothes. I also like Vincent Kartheiser and Jon Slattery.

It's super weird to see Annie from Community there. I still can't see her as Pete's wife. She's just Annie.
Sep 23, 2012
If TV award shows were a group of friends, the Emmy's would be the sleazy man-whore that tells everyone what they think they want to hear in hopes of 'viewership'.
Sep 23, 2012
Great job, you guys! And I could hear all of you! I hate it when I listen to a podcast and some of the people sound like they're across the room from the nearest mic. I like the Emmys. If I had more cool friends in real life I would totally have an Emmy party. It's not so much about the awards--the nominees are often so far from who I would pick that it's frustrating--it's about seeing all the actors I love all dressed up and having fun together. And I really like the opening numbers like Jimmy Fallon's Glee song and Neil Patrick Harris's "Put Down the Remote." I love stuff like that. If one of my favorites happens to win it's just icing on the cake. Also, I like the Emmys more than the Oscars because I rarely go to movies. I don't know the movies and I don't know many of the actors. With the Emmys, I don't watch every show, but because I read articles on TV.com I at least know what's popular, so I keep up.
Sep 23, 2012
Loved it! I agree with most of your choices on who should win. You guys should do a weekly TV Podcast. I was an avid listener to the TV.com UK Podcast and I loved hearing their thoughts about TV every week. If you did decide to do it you could gain quite a following.
Sep 23, 2012
I like the Emmys, even if they do get a bit redundant. Questions of relevance and whether or not something/someone deserved to be nominated go for every awards show. Most of the fun of these things is debating those questions. Do the awards themselves count for much in the long run? No. But there is a lot of truly great work being done on TV and it's nice to see that work recognized in its own awards show without having to "share" with the movie industry. I think some of the drama nominees are better than most movies being put out these days.
Sep 23, 2012
Breaking Bad! Breaking Bad! Breaking Bad! Breaking Bad!
Sep 23, 2012
Emmy for Teen Wolf!! I just burst out laughing!!! Classic Price!
Sep 22, 2012
I agree that the Emmys aren't really a major thing. The fact that the same shows and people are nominated for several years in a row takes away a part of the excitement. Every year you look at the nominations and go "oh, those again". And of course as a result of this you have to deal with the disappointment of seeing your favourite shows and actors snubbed every year despite being nominated.

You could say that the only good thing about the Emmys is the journey to it, not the actual event. The Emmys is a conversation starter. During the couple of weeks before the show you get to talk with people about which shows are good and why.
Sep 22, 2012
Hearing your voices was...strange
Sep 22, 2012
Did hearing their voices destroy the perfect image you had of them before? Can we ever read their articles again without hearing their voices in the background? Oh, the humanity...
Sep 23, 2012
Did anyone have a perfect image of them?

I didn't think it was weird at all. It's not like when you've heard someone's voice a million times and then see their face for the first time.

I thought Price would sound gayer. :)
Sep 22, 2012
My life will never be the same...*sigh*