The Vampire Diaries: 6 Reasons Why Damon Has to Return to the Present Immediately

Fans of The Vampire Diaries certainly breathed a sigh of relief at the end of the Season 6 premiere when we learned that Damon Salvatore was alive, but I sure as hell won't be satisfied until he returns from, well, wherever he is.

Absent from nearly the entire hour, Damon (Ian Somerhalder) and Bonnie (Kat Graham) finally emerged in the final moments, giving the audience just a few clues as to their whereabouts—somehow, they're in the '90s. But even if one or both somehow return, it won't be for several episodes, leaving the series devoid of some of our favorite things.

Here are my top six reasons why Damon needs to return to the land of the living now.

6. Elena is unbearably mopey without him

Sure, Elena asked Alaric to compel her to forget Damon, so maybe this will be a moot point, but she's kind of depressing when he's not around.

5. He's an important source of comic relief

Only so much fun can be had when it's just two people in solitude, not to mention the fact that Damon's quippy sense of humor provides for some of the show's funniest moments and one-liners.

(via)

4. Alaric needs his wingman!

Seriously, what's the point in bringing Alaric (Matt Davis) back if he doesn't have his drinking buddy by his side? Plus: Alaric really needs someone to talk to after that whole back-to-life-as-a-vampire situation.

(via)

Plus, as history has shown, both guys are pretty depressed without the other.

(via

3. At its core, Mystic Falls is a city of brotherly love

Despite centuries' worth of ups and downs, the show is at its best when Stefan (Paul Wesley) and Damon are on the same side. And I can never get enough of their adorable bro hugs.

2. I miss swoon-worthy Damon

Whether you're Team Delena or Stelena, you have to admit he does and says some pretty romantic things when he's in love.

(via)

Oh, and I don't mind this either.

(via

1. At the very least, it won't be long before Damon and Bonnie revert to this:

(via)

Do you want Damon back as bad as I do?

This article originally appears on TV Guide.com.

Nov 19, 2014
Hello welcome to (new-worldvampire kingdom.Do you want to be a vampire,still in human,haven talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten mines time to a human again, with out delaying in a good human posture.this is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture.if you are interested contact us on our mail, newworldvampire@gmail.com and you we have the knowledge of turning into vampire.
Oct 19, 2014
The short and easy reply to your last question is "YES!"; and that's coming from the mouth of a heterosexual male. I really love the 90's references, (I recognize all the songs, and knew all about Yellow Ledbetter) but the trade-off is way too extreme. Ian 'makes' this show for me.
Oct 12, 2014
So if i seen that right, alaric is an original now?? And if thats true i really hope they use that to its full extant and have him whippin every one that needs it.
Oct 11, 2014
Lexie should have came back that would have totaled the movie
Oct 11, 2014

Stefan and Caroline would be beyond perfect for each other!
Oct 11, 2014
If Elena didn't get in the damn car and drive over the mystic falls line then she wouldn't have died and that would be one less person to go through Bonnie so Damon could have went through Bonnie and lived, so it's all Elena falt
Oct 12, 2014
I think 99 % of all bad things that happen on the show are on elena and her bad choices!!!!
Oct 09, 2014
It would be better to send Alaric to wherever Damon is. And send Stefan to New Orleans get involved in the craziness there. And lets be done with Elena and her whiny complains.
Oct 12, 2014
No doubt, I really thought when she became a vampire she would be alot better, and for a while she was but as we all know becoming a vampire supercharges your emotions and elena's bitchyness was already pretty high.
Oct 09, 2014
I totally disagree with this entire article.

Damon & Elena are way to co-dependent. Elena really needs to learn how to live on her own without the Salvatores.

I don't think Alaric should have even been re-added to the show. He should have stayed dead. I'm also really tired of all the resurrections on this show.

I'd much rather Damon & Bonnie just stay dead and have their own adventures in the afterlife.
Oct 31, 2014
A spin off with Bonnie and Damon &3 umm yes please
Oct 09, 2014
i hope he wont return if its for another 22 episodes of boring elena&damon moments. If any, the only reason i enjoyed Damons character is because he was so mean and good at it, why change it??? And i hope elena stop crying or go to another show. Enough of this non sense relation. Its a travesty for me, stefan is the more interesting character in this Show and the show should continue around his journey and not in the stupidity relation between damon and elena. And yes, bring caroline and stefan relation soon. Or kill elena and bring a new female character doppleganger or not wtv, but elena is boring as ever, i stopped watching the show week by week after elena and damon relation started, after that i watched it in a row, jumping elena and damon scenes, and yess the show still good tought. Stefan still brought the jealous feeling very good, awesome acting. Ian is also a great actor when his being damon, the BAD GUY... And elena is boring but i like nina dobrev as Katherine, that way shess very good, but as elena shes becoming boooooooooooring...

As for Bonnie, shes welcome if she stops her relation with another boring character like elenas little brother.
Oct 09, 2014
Yes, but you missed the most important thing- his incredible eyeball acting. One of a kind.
Oct 09, 2014
definitely need Damon back and Bonnie as well. Bonnie has always been underused as a character and overused as someone else's instrument, and Damon, well Damon brings some life to the party every week as the adorable duo Damon/Alaric drinking buddies.
when he does return, I really hope Damon and Elena don't hook up again thou. Katherine was a much better fit for him and Elena's mopey personality fits with Stefans brooding self. It would be nice to see more of a relationship between Damon and Bonnie even if it never gets romantic.
Oct 09, 2014
No "dancing to Depeche Mode cover" gif? Fail!!!
How about switching Elena and Damon and not reviving her
Oct 09, 2014
Damon must return ASAP! He has all the “bad” qualities, on such perfectly precise dose, that make him a key element to the show’s success.

He’s disrespectful and abusive of other people’s rights, he’s deceitful, arrogant, excessively proud, irritable, impulsive, secretive, aggressive, remorseless, reckelss – I could go on forever! No, I’m NOT describing a sociopath here, as Damon doesn’t exhibit these traits 24/7 – and yes, he has exhibited a more human side of his. Yet, I chose to focus on his bad side for when Damon is bad is bad for a cause! That’s what makes his character adorable (among others - i.e., his looks) and indispensible to the show!
Oct 09, 2014
When they bring him back i want him to be more like season 1 Damon not the whining Damon from the last two seasons.
Oct 09, 2014
I like Elena moping over Damon and Damon apparently fine... yo know, for a change.
Oct 09, 2014
Yeah, Damon needs to come back so that Elena would finally stop crying, dump him and run to Stefan because, you know: "It will always be Stefan".
Oct 09, 2014
Why kill him in the first place if they are going to revive him?
We need some permanent deaths in this show! Damon should not have stayed there on last season final, and Bonnie should have died permanently.
Oct 09, 2014
Elena is mopey without him!! Damon is not the problem, Elena is!
TQB
BADDER.
Oct 09, 2014
Uh...what? They're in the 902? Time travel?
Oct 09, 2014
Damon is my favourite character on the show but I disagree that they need him back in the present ASAP.

6: Elena needs to work out how to be a single vamp/person. Putting Damon back into her life isn’t necessarily going to make her less mopey, they will just keep trying to get them apart so they can get all angsty. Last season did that by just regressing all of Damon’s character development and I do NOT want to see that happen again. There is some real potential for Damon and Bonnie to bring out other sides of each other and develop a real friendship. Let’s get Elena back on track as a strong character who doesn’t need a man to have a storyline before reintroducing Damon and Bonnie. Also would be quite good to see her reflect on her relationship with Bonnie so when she finally does return she might be valued a bit more instead of remaining a plot device when they need it. I’m worried for Bonnie now that the witch twins are on board I hope she can get some decent storylines.

5: There is plenty of potential for Damon and Bonnie to bounce off each other. Ian and Kat have a ridiculous amount of chemistry, I’m personally excited to see how this pans out.

4: I agree that Damon/Alaric is one of my favourite bromances, however I don’t believe Damon will be lost to the real world forever so there will be time for this to get going again. Plus I personally want to see more of Alaric’s relationship with Elena and Jeremy, who are both in dire need of some parenting.

3: I adore the relationship the brothers have (when they’re not fighting over Elena). It’s probably my favourite side of the central triangle. I think exploring how Stefan copes without his big bro around (especially in his interactions with the other people who loved Damon best i.e. Elena/Ric/Enzo) has great potential for Stefan’s redemption and I hope TVD will FINALLY explore Stefan’s good brother/bad brother mentality, taking Damon out of the equation may lead to Stefan making some big revelations about himself. Doubt it though but there is always hope.

2. Damon will have plenty of opportunity to say swoon-worthy things – if anything taking him away from the people he loves will make him fight that much harder to get back to them and appreciate them more.

1. Of course Damon and Bonnie will bicker. That is part of their charm and chemistry as characters (and their faces help too).

Honestly I think TVD will be a much stronger and better show for removing Damon and Bonnie for a little bit. We will still get to see them in the show so no need to rush them back in to present day.
Oct 09, 2014
My thoughts exactly!!! Thanks for writing it down:)
Oct 08, 2014
I actually would've liked it if we didn't see Damon until that last scene with Bonnie. Seeing "hallucination Damon" just took away the power of that final scene. Don't get me wrong, it was my favourite scene of the episode but I just think that seeing Damon beforehand (even though he was just a hallucination) lessend the impact of it.

I would also prefer it if Damon and Bonnie stay wherever they are for a while. I'd like to see their dynamic. The last thing I want to see now is Damon around Elena. So I'm cool with Damon being back but I'd like him to be in scenes that take place away from the rest of the characters. I want to see him and Bonnie and the challenges they're facing. And I'm sorry but Elena is even more UNBEARABLE & INSUFFERABLE when she's around Damon.

This is already on the front page in the community posts section but in case you didn't see it and you're interested. I'm going to be doing a weekly video podcast review of TVD.
This is the season premiere podcast.

Oct 08, 2014
Elena as a character is completely intolerable & Damon's company only serves to make her more selfish, whiny & hypocritical. So for her sake, a bit of space might be good.
Damon himself has been reduced to Elena's bitch these last few seasons & does nothing but whine, make man pain eyes & then go on a romantic murder spree when he thinks she's done with him. If these two are to be endgame, they need time apart & they need to mature the hell up because God knows, they bring out the worst in each other. Damon & Bonnie will be fun and refreshing. Maybe this relationship, platonic or otherwise, can try bringing out the side of Damon the writers should have gone to with Elena.

I wanna see Damon-Enzo bonding more than anything else and honestly, I'm hoping losing Damon will change Stefan's perspective on life and get him to live a little (without going ripper Stefan on us). I doubt it though, seeing as the writers seem to live to make Stefan the mopiest bastard around & make his life a continuous hell.
God yes!
Oct 08, 2014
there is no VD without Damon!
Oct 09, 2014
You can have him! I'll take katerine, she's more fun.
Oct 09, 2014
This comment has been removed.
Oct 08, 2014
6 - Elena is insufferable period. Damon's presence has nothing to do with it.

5 - Agreed

4 - I thought that's what Enzo would be for :)

3 - Not really. Truth is, the show could be much better without its main characters.

2 - Yuck. Please no more. At the very least, when he comes back... Please have him and Elena married permanently or something. Anything other than that stupid talk about how bad they are for each other.

1 - Doubt it. I think it's more likely they'll do a potential romance or at least jealousy thing.
Oct 08, 2014
"Elena is insufferable period."

this made my day #bless
Oct 08, 2014
Elena is unbearably with or without him.
The best solution would be to kill Elena and to let Damon be himself and not that thing he becomes around Elena.
Either way these two need to stay away from each other.
Oct 08, 2014
I actually hope Bonnie and Damon become friends and get to know each other there without getting romantic or physical. TVD needs more friendships like Stefan/Leslie and even when Damon has quite a handful of best friends now (Alaric and Enzo), one more person in Damon's team won't hurt!
Oct 08, 2014
How about one very good reason he shouldn't come back?

"While Damon on Vampire Diaries often has consensual sex, he's also shown mind-whammying girls (especially Caroline) into it, drinking their blood, and then making them forget it. Including a group of college girls, in a scene meant to highlight his own angst. In the second season he starts "dating" Andie, heavily and repeatedly compelling her and feeding on her. One time she goes off-script when he's in a bad mood he attacks and threatens her, so even you ignore all the supernatural aspects he's a Domestic Abuser.No one appears to care about all this in the slightest. And when she dies, the show has the audacity to play it as a source of angst for him, despite her obviously being every bit as much his own victim as Stefan's. This guy is one third of the show's main love triangle."

Source - X
Oct 09, 2014
How about the fact that he is a murderer? Maybe I'm old fashioned but murder&domestic; abuse
The show woluld have never gone past it's first 13 episodes without him
Oct 08, 2014
Yessssssssssssssssssssssss I need his humor sexiness and drinking wingman ness back.
Oct 08, 2014
I'm just gonna say it, who else wants to see a Bonnie and Damon hook up?
Oct 09, 2014
Are you the kind of person that likes passionless sex? I'm not
Oct 08, 2014
To be honest, I liked the season premiere. I enjoy unusual pairings, they often bring something different and often better - to shows. Damon and Bonnie only had twenty seconds in that episode - and it still was awesome.

I, myself, also enjoyed how Stefan was removed from the rest- trying to live a normal life. Both brothers away from Elena is refreshing and should make the show better.

As far as other characters go, including some sort of Big Bad, there wasn't much to write about. A bit of a letdown, but I'd rather see a Big Bad evolving over the next five-six episodes than having to watch them try to break the BB down for twenty episodes.

So, my answer is no. I enjoy Damon, but I think the pairing of Damon and Bonnie away from the others should last for some time. I also think they should wait longer before Stefan eventually returns. The main problem with the show has always been the retarded triangle with jumping back and forth. Less triangle, a compelling Big Bad and some new, fun pairings and this might be a good season.
Oct 08, 2014
I agree with everything you said.