The Vampire Diaries: Turn this Mutha Out (PHOTO RECAP)

The Vampire Diaries S03E15: "All My Children"

Look, I don't know if it's the cold medication talking, or maybe it's the fact that I'm so close to death I can actually SEE eternity, but this episode of The Vampire Diaries maybe wasn't the best? Don't be sore at me, there's a chance it's OUR fault. I think after last week's stellar outing we might have hoped and prayed a little TOO hard that none of the Originals would be killed off this week (mostly so they can be spun off into their own series because COME ON, The CW, you like money right?). Well, we got what we wanted! No Originals died this week, not even Esther. But the repercussion was that this episode wasn't terribly high-stakes or important-seeming. Instead we were asked to be sad about a character who we'd just met being turned into a vampire, which is kind of a step up for a witch without powers, right? Also Elena was basically trapped in a hole for most of the episode, and she IS the audience surrogate, so... also a main character was shot in a cliffhanger scenario but definitely not killed because come on, show. Kidding me with that?

Tell you what, let's just jump in and get this done so that I can eat all of the over-the-counter chemicals in the vicinity. Sound good?

We started in Elena's bedroom, where she'd just awakened from a delightful slumber.

What do you guys think Elena even dreams about? Considering her waking life is a nonstop nightmare, do you think her dreams are the opposite? Like she dreams about sitting at a table drinking a Sprite? Or feeding a raccoon with a baby bottle?

Oh well, it was time for Elena to get on with her day, and lately that means busting out all her best psycho ex-girlfriend moves.

Fortunately Stefan wasn't having it, he was too busy writing in that awful diary of his. (Can you even imagine what he's been writing in it lately?)

Damon took Elena's call, but cut her off pretty quickly. He had other things going on.

Later, after Rebekah reassembled her ballgown somehow, Damon walked her to the door like a true gentleman.

And there was Elena! Gettin' all up in Damon's private affairs like it was her JOB.

You could tell Elena was NOT happy about this situation. Sure she'd pretty much rejected Damon the night before so that she could more freely pursue a seemingly remorseless mass murderer, but still: She thought she was THE BOSS of Damon. But nope!

Back at Klaus' mansion, Kol immediately called his sister a "strumpet" because Kol is hilarious like that.

Klaus was in a VERY chipper mood for some reason, just happily sketching away in his notebook. Then Kol decided that HE wanted some action, so he demanded that Klaus be his wingman or something. Gosh, how much a bummer would it be to be an immortal, thousand-year-old vampire and you wind up in a town that has exactly one bar and one restaurant and it's the same place? Better luck next time, Kol.

Meanwhile over at Caroline's house (for some reason), Elena was trying to get Bonnie to replicate Esther's privacy spell.

But then Bonnie got SUPER offended when Elena implied she didn't know magic very well:

And then they battled! Anyway, as it turned out Bonnie and Abby were dead set on helping Esther murder her children for no real reason. Just 'cuz.

At this point a dapper gentleman showed up to pay Elena a visit:

Elena had no reason to question this request, and why should she?

Anyway, there was an amusing bit right here where Elijah described how Mystic Falls used to be a thousand years ago. Apparently Mystic Falls High was built over a Native American village (LOL) and wild horses used to roam town square. I mean, fine.

Anyway, Elijah was onto Elena BIG TIME.

He suspected that Esther was up to something, plus he could HEAR Elena's heartbeats when she lied about not knowin' nuttin'. And then, hilariously, he STOMPED A HOLE in the ground and stashed Elena in it!

Classic Elijah move!

But whoops! Guess who else was down there? Rebekah! It was her job to keep Elena in line and/or murder her if it came to that.

Over at Mystic Grill, Alaric was doing some morning shots with Meredith and they were still trying to figure out who Mystic Falls' mysterious slasher was.

It was hilarious when Klaus and Kol walked up right when Meredith was going off about how vampires are DEFINITELY behind the slashings. Because, you know, vampires always stab people with large knives, that's just classic vampire stuff right there.

In what has to be the most perfect summation yet of this show's treatment of African-American witches, it turned out that Esther intended to channel the entire Bennett family blood line in order to carry out her spell and Bonnie & Abby were along for the ride just because? The reasoning was something like, "Well, this lady's going to channel our powers anyway, we may as well be present." So yeah. Nothing racially weird about this at all.

The best part was that at no point did Abby EVER seem interested in what was going on:

I felt so bad for her. She could've been back at her place just hanging out with some random teenage dude (remember that? What was HIS story?) and living life blissfully unaware of the shenanigans Bonnie's always getting herself involved in.

So anyway, Elijah informed Stefan and Damon that they had to stop Esther's spell or else he'd have Rebekah kill Elena. Specifically they had to murder one or more of the Bennetts. But then Damon had a plan to work around this dilemma: He'd dagger one of the Originals, thus neutralizing ALL of them. And he used Caroline as a decoy:

Continuing their charming interactions from "Dangerous Liaisons," Klaus was trying to win Caroline back over again while she repeatedly stressed how NOT into him she was.

But, and maybe this is me reading into things too much, didn't Caroline seem genuinely happy here:

Just sayin'! Anyway, back inside Meredith and Alaric got to work ensnaring Kol.

Upon daggering Kol, it was fairly awesome how all of the Original siblings started to fall, including Rebekah and also Finn (who'd been helping Esther set up her pentagram) who just keeled over in front of everybody.

But apparently because he's so strong, Klaus didn't immediately drop. He first had plenty of time to get SUPER mad at Caroline:

And then swoop in to undagger Kol:

At this point Elijah arrived and informed Klaus that Esther had indeed plotted to murder them and that Damon and Stefan were ultimately working toward stopping her. Or something. I don't know, junk got complicated around this part. Like, for example, apparently Esther's plan was to turn all her children back into human beings and THEN murder them? Question: Why the Step 2? Wouldn't turning them back into human beings be enough to correct her sins against nature? I guess she was just super into murder or something. Like I said, I don't know.

So then Damon and Stefan arrived at the scene of the spell and debated about which of them would have to do the deed against Bonnie and/or her mom. So they flipped a coin.

Meanwhile in the caves, Elena ran away from Rebekah and into a certain spelled 'n graffiti'd cavern.

But just when Elena thought she'd found a place out of Rebekah's reach, she forgot one thing:

GASOLINE don't know no force fields!

This was hilarious. So yeah then Rebekah started throwing lit matches at Elena because Rebekah is AWESOME.

Elena reasoned that Rebekah should NOT kill her right then because then Rebekah would have nothing to live for, revenge-wise. Instead, she should let Elena go and exact her revenge in slow, methodical ways.

So then the angry brothers descended upon Esther's circle of murder and boy did she tell them off BIG TIME! She had had it UP TO HERE watching them murder tons of folks over the past thousand years.

Speaking of murder! Sorry Abby.

Good thing she immediately swallowed the vampire blood that Damon force-fed her 1.5 seconds before snapping her neck. Apparently in turning Abby into a vampire she forfeited all her witch powers (all those witch powers!). Bonnie was NOT happy about it.

Also not happy: Esther!

And then POOF! She and Finn just vanished into thin air.

Meanwhile back at Caroline's house (for some reason—just kidding, the reason is that Bonnie doesn't have a house. AFTER THREE SEASONS) she waited for her mom to wake up and crave human blood. I think this whole thing was supposed to be super sad, but (A) who cares about Abby? I don't even think ABBY cared about Abby. Also (B) Bonnie had hated her mom up until three days prior and also she'd been a powerless witch? If you ask me, Vampire Abby is probably better off.

But this was sort of amazing:

Caroline literally refused to let Elena even in the house! I guess people are finally sick of Elena's shit! It goes without saying that everyone in Mystic Falls is in mortal danger no matter what, but Elena had really stirred it up over the past year hadn't she? She is basically a grim reaper with flat-ironed hair.

That being said, I'm not sure I bought the idea that BONNIE had lost the most out of all of them. Elena's probably the winner in that regard, but maybe Caroline meant percentage-wise, because Bonnie didn't really have that much to begin with. Hopefully this incident (which, again, WHAT incident? Abby will be fine!) will kick Bonnie into gear a little bit? Maybe she'll get a little goth like that time Grams died? Maybe she'll get a little more fire in her eyes in general?

Anyway, back at the Salvatore home, Damon was not keeping his soap in its proper container.

As it turned out, during the whole coin flipping thing, Stefan had actually been the one chosen to murder one of the Bennetts.

Damon went ahead and did the deed anyway, seemingly as a favor to Stefan, whose human blood sobriety suggested he was back on the path to redemption. Also, as Damon pointed out, he was better at being bad.

Over at Elena's house, SOMEONE had left her a note!

It was from Elijah! And it was definitely a going away note. Because Elijah was going away!

Meanwhile Klaus was nursing his broken heart by therapeutically burning the contents of his sketchbook.

Unlike Elijah and Kol, Rebekah made it clear she intended to stick with Klaus, making them the only two Originals left in Mystic Falls. It was actually fairly sweet! Plus she had some cell phone footage she needed him to see.

It was from the caves: According to the hieroglyphics there's ANOTHER White Oak tree somewhere out there, meaning they're no longer as impossible to kill as they thought.

How's this for an Alaric-related cliffhanger! He woke up in Meredith's apartment and immediately upon entering the kitchen he came across a HUGE STASH of medical records, crime scene photos, and murder weapons related to the stabbings just splayed out on her kitchen counter in plain view.

And then she shot Alaric! Oh my gosh, do you think he's dead? He is probably not dead. Oh well, at least we know she's shady. Although, I'm sure it'll just be some thing where she's somehow supernatural, or she thought he was a vampire, or some other wacky misunderstanding. The important thing is, Alaric is definitely not dead and this was not a very good cliffhanger.

The episode was okay! Not great! I love that the Originals are all alive and thus capable of future awesomeness. That's pretty cool, right?

Okay bye! See you in three weeks?

QUESTIONS:

... Does Elena deserve to be in the dog house with everybody?

... Are you sad about Elijah leaving?

... Are Klaus and Caroline over for good?

... What should we do now?

Alaric is one of my favourite characters, but, honestly, by this point I almost wish he WAS dead. How many times has he died now? Getting boring!

Meanwhile, with all of this silliness going on, Caroline was - as usual - awesome.
Ha. I just watched this episode that I dvr'd like 2 weeks ago. 1). It could of been interesting if they let Elena die. 2). Yeah, I love Elijah. He's the best. 3). Um, I hope so. Although, I was kinda of shipping for them this episode when the started talking. However, the thought of Klaus and Caroline disgust me, but the chemistry was off the roof. 4). Yeah, let battle.
ANSWERS:

1)...Yeah!, they should let her DIE in that shit hole!

2)...A little bit :/ , plus LOL at he getting Elena in the hole XD!!!!!

3)...Probably I don't think Caroline cares much anyway, (LMAO at your draws! XD)

4)...LET'S BATTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (or watch the secret circle), no, LET'S BATTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Even though most of the Originals fled, I sincerely hope that we eventually get some more back story on the newest characters. I loved watching their interactions and I'm kinda bummed that they've left so soon. Really, there's only so much love trianglin' I can stomach and I couldn't care less about Abby Bennett, so if they wanted to dedicate whole episodes to the history and/or current whereabouts of the Originals I would love it.

To answer the questions:

1. Yes, not because of anything she did but just because she's becoming a bit annoying.

2. Yes, but also sad that Kol left.

3. Maybe, although Klaus doesn't seem like the forgive and forget type of guy.

4. Yes! Bonnie would be so much more interesting if she was a dance battling, Bennett witch.
I'm really bummed out about Elijah leaving, he's such an awesome character I hope we see him in future episodes though
I was super on the fence about Caroline and Klaus but their outdoor bench scene was excellent!

And just when I was really digging the whole original family hanging out together (minus Finn he bores me), Elijah and Kol leave. NOT COOL, Julie Plec and Kevin Williamson! But on the plus side, maybe we'll get to see Jeremy in his new life? I'm sorta curious.

What do we do now? Well Price, do you have any old episodes left that haven't been recapped?
Hmm. The pros and cons of this episode.

The pros: there were several very touching moments. The romance between Klaus and Caroline (which btw is THE BEST RELATIONSHIP ON THE ENTIRE SHOW AND I HOPE IT DOESN'T END), the moments between original siblings, and the shows original siblings (Damon and Stefan). The final Bonnie scene was even touching....somehow. If we're judging based on looks, this was a pretty decent episode. Not stellar, but it was quite endearing. But if we're judging based on personality, aka plot..... WTF???

I mean, like you pointed out, why should ANYONE care about Bonnie's mom...what's her name again?? I mean she has the life span of any other random extra on this show, Bonnie didn't like her, she wasn't useful, and her other option was death. Bonnie has to understand that either someone was gonna die, or someone was gonna be a vampire. I'm sure if she had to choose the results would've been the same.

And secondly, the whole imma-kill-my-kids-wait-nvm thing sucked big time. I hate that Momma Original feels so entitled to kill her kids when there's still THOUSANDS of other vampires in the world. I think you pointed this out last week, but even if she does kill her kids for whatever flawed reason she has, it's not like all the other vampires are gonna die off. And again, as you've mentioned, if whatever spell Momma is working is gonna turn them human, why not just leave them that way?? They'll die eventually. But then again, who's to say they just won't become vampires again...and get staked... and IDK. The whole thing is WAY too confusing.

All of that to say: ELIJAH DON'T GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eli makes the top of this episodes awesome list followed by: Damon, Klaus and Caroline (b/c they are totes a couple now) and scraping the bottom, Rebekah. Unless you want to count the treatment of Elena this episode. You gotta admit, she was def put in her place.

Crappy list:

BONNIE, Elena, Stefan because he's about to be boring again, all other originals and dumb Alaric for being an idiot. Yeesh.
two words...LET'S BATTLE!!!!!!!
Original sex is the best kind of sex period...
i'm all for Elena & Elijah and Caroline & Klaus hooking up.. so tired of those boring Salvatores.. where has the passion gone in these series?
Oh my god! Always been team Damon but I'm totally up for it too! :o
Maybe Elijah and Elena should get together.
I think they will. There was that comment last episode about Elijah being in love with the original deoppleganger, so we already know there's kind of a history. (like there was with all the Damon, Stefan, Elena, Katherine stuff) :)
Last weeks episode was awesom the LOOK from Damon to Elena when she is stunning. Oh what desire glows in his eyes; makes my heart skip a beat. Then comes this episode where nothing really happens. No emotions are awakened in me: unmoved. No expression from Elena as to who she prefers for the time being. No one dying. It's like a boring game. You know who is winning so what's the point. Alaric acts so stupidly falling for the wrong woman which you know from the get go that somethings fishy about her. Then he always survives. Make up your minds writers. Live or die but get it over with already! Damon be devilish but charming. Stefan be a man at let passion take over. Fight for what you want. Elena choose even if you are torn between them choose one day/date at a time. No one has to be partners for life. Passion is what TVD watchers thrive on. With it you hang on the edge of your seat, glued to the sofa, drooling. W/O it just another tv drama, action & intrigue but no depth. Keep the soul of TVD alive more passion, anyone?
Good review once again Price. Thanks for recapping while you're sick. Hope Lily's chicken soup made u feel better!

I'm a bit disappointed in Esther, I thought she'd hang around a bit longer than she did. The way they stretched out the 4th coffin business made it seem like she's supposed to be this fearsome being. I'm hoping that she'll be back considering that she 'disappeared'. I'm starting to get lost in the storyline, not sure where it's heading. Is the main goal still to kill Klaus?! They've intro'd so many new characters just this season! I'm confused as who's the big bad now... Started with Klaus, then dad Michael, then mum Esther and there's Meredith off to the side in a seemingly unrelated arc.

Questions:

- Elena... Sigh... She can't win, can she? One of the reasons I like TVD is that no matter what, Stefan had her back. But it is feeling like the show is all about her and keeping her alive, no matter the cost to her friends. I guess it would've been a quick season if they all left her to fend for herself! She keeps getting herself into trouble!

- I am sad at Elijah leaving. I'm liking that he a higher being with a bit of a moral code. It would've been interesting to throw him in the mix with Elena :)

- I hope not! It was too sudden! I hope it's just temporary. If its real then he has to fight for it, right? On a side note, I saw your tweet with Caroline's pic 'rrriiipppp' before watching the show and I thought u meant RIP! Freaked me out!

- 3 whole weeks!!! I'm going to rewatch all the eps (sort out my confusion!)

Till then!
For me his episode was one of the worst in 3 seasons... so, completely, boring! The way they tried to make certain "points" was just really stupid. Obviously none of the originals were gonna die, but seriously? A spell gone wrong is the answer? Where's momma original and momma's boy?

What was that thing about Bonnie being "the one that always gets hurt" Her mama left for her decision, granny died for her desicion, and boy-toy really wasnt that important to her since he was better off with ghosts than w/her. I hate Elena's troubles and self pitty, but really, to look who is the biggest victim here is absurd.

The only possitive thing about this episode was evil damon getiing back on his awesome track... Go Bad Guy.

Im so sick of bonnie, Elena and Stefan... Can we make a spin-off with Damon, Caroline, Klaus and Rebbekah plz?

1. Elena deserves a big punch in the head to snap out of her dullness.

2. YEAH! Im pro-originals... all of them

3. Seems like it... shame though.

4. I would battle bonnie, I have a Zippo and a Candle, bet I can light it faster that her... I mean that's all the lady knows how to do.
Lol, "I have a zippo i can beat bonnie in a candle lighting battle"

That cracked me up.
Elena doesn't deserve to be in the doghouse with anyone except ELIJAH, and he has forgiven her for lying. I like Elena! I hope she ends up with Stefan, even though I like her with Damon and I LOVE that everyone has admitted what is going on now between the three. I am kinda sad about Elijah leaving, but he is dangerous, albeit charming and moral. NOOOO . . . I want Caroline and Klaus to get together. Maybe Klaus will forgive her?? We should be sad because we have to wait three weeks . . . that is what we should do now. Is Jeremy gone for good? What about Alaric? They could always get rid of him . . . he's had such BAD luck with women he should remain celibate from now on!
I just realised that if meredith isn't supernatural and shot alaric...he could be very dead
Now now, don't get our hopes up.
I think this was one of the lamest, if not THE lamest, episodes of season 3. I mean, what really happened here that was interesting? There's too much shifting of interests and bad/good char development imo. I know it's a series and everything will sooner or later jump a shark or 2 but... not yet..plzzzzzz???

Bad/good transitions?:

- Stefan: Bad (Flashbacks), Good, Bad, now almost good again?

- Damon: Bad(dish), Good(dish),Almost Bad(dish) again?

- Klaus: Evil Hybrid creating hybrid army -> Romantic, love struck idiot? (Check)

- Mikael: Evil SOB hunting Klaus, etc -> Killed with own weapon (owned? Check)

Every time a cool villain/hero is introduced you can better prepare yourself that sooner or later you'll find them doing the dishes or something... woohoo...

And than the recurring of old story lines... Oh no, we mentioned that the old white oak tree or it's ashes is the only thing that can kill originals. But wait, there's still another... Pffff.

Hopefully they'll get back on track.

Regards Raf
After reading all the comments (289 right now!) and watching the episode again, here are my thoughts:

- I actually think S3 is turning around again. The first half of the season was incredible. Then there were a couple of lame episodes. Seriously lame, plot-moving episodes. With the ball last week, it started a turn. (or maybe I just like looking at gorgeous Nina and Candice in gorgeous dresses) And this week made strong movements to me. I liked that people are finally starting to call Elena out on her influence on others. I like that she is starting to see that she has been an ass. (although Elena-the-ass was starting to get a Katherine feel which I liked to see. The diff is that Katherine is deliberate and savors her b***iness whereas Elena is just annoyingly oblivious). I like that Damon is getting back to his own nature while not going off the deep end. I like that Damon sees Stefan's attempts to regain himself and is actually being supportive. (i.e. he quietly snagged that blood bag that Stefan was mooning over, he turned Abby even though he lost the toss, he is ceeding the battle for Elena)

- The Abby vampire thing is SO LAME. I mean, the entire Abby storyline so far has just fallen flat. I'm not even sure what emotions the writers were aiming for about the whole thing. But the storyline, the dialogue, and the acting has been awful. I wish I could say I look forward to what happens next, but really I'm just cringing. It's like when Bill Forbes returned to "help" Tyler.....just yuck.

- Obviously Esther is not dead so the Originals storyline is far from over. She will inevitably return to wreak more havoc. Maybe she'll be back with Tatia next? Ooohh, or Lucy!

- Alaric.....whatEVER. I think he will be shot, will be dead, and will come back to life via his ring because there is SOMETHING not human about Meredith. I have my suspicions that the twit may actually be a vampire. Did anyone else catch how Damon intended to have Meredith dagger Kol but Alaric was the one to do it? Maybe because if she did it, it would kill her??

- Klaroline. It's nice to see Klaus trying to be a "real boy" but that's a really really long road to recovery. Obviously, in TVD it is important and necessary to immediately forget any and all wrongdoings that happened over 1 week prior or everyone would have complete psychotic breakdowns, but Klaus? Really? Caroline is better than that. But GOD to watch the chemistry between the 2 of them is incredible. If the writers give it to us, I will enjoy it all the same. I've never liked her with Tyler so he can just never come back for all I care.

- Elijah. I could care less about the other Originals, I just want Elijah and Rebekah (and Klaus obviously) to stick around. I want more backstory on Elijah.....besides being sidekick bro to Klaus. I want the Tatia backstory flashback. And I think it would be REALLY interesting if Esther does manage to succeed to make them all human again but not kill them. Then Elijah and Elena can get together, fall in love, and make little moral babies! Perfect solution to the Salvatore problem!

Also, once more for the team: Bring Katherine back!!!
I think that Elena should just be grateful that Damon is a more stable person than he was the last time she hurt him that badly. The 1st ep. of season 2, when Damon snapped Jeremy's nack after Elena said she'd never have kissed him.
Out of all the hilariousness in the photo recap, the damn soap put me in tears. Elena deserves to be so alone, I wish they would bring back the tomb from season one, and somehow have it reversed so Elena will fall and get stuck in it.
Is anyone else a little sick of Alaric being killed in EVERY SINGLE EPISODE!!! I almost laughed out loud when Meredith shot him. This dude is getting some serious beauty sleep this season. Seriously, give the poor guy a break!
HAHHAHAHAHHAAH.. I usually don't comment, but you just captured my toughts the last 30 sec of the episode.. ! KUDOS
Thanks Price for pointing out the expendibility of certain "characters" on this show. I am pretty sick and tired of it myself.

I never thought it before, but Elena really isn't worth it!

Never thought I'd end up liking Caroline more in the end (reference to season 1 Caroline).

Too pissed off to answer any of the questions today.
lmao whats with the "lets battle" gif?

1.) I don't hate Elena so much as I hate the way everyone in Mystic Falls would sacrifice everything for her. And she DOES have a tendency to make things about herself.

2.) He'll come back

3.) Not sure, they'll probably have more scenes after the break

4.) Go watch Honey 2

I still love Bonnie, and I love Caroline for telling Elena the truth. That everyone is dying and suffering because Elena makes stupid decisions. Why would she even go off with Elijah on her own? And I know Elena has probably lost more than Bonnie, but Elena has an entire town that cares about her and protects her. It's just annoying that they treat Bonnie like she's so expendable. That they don't even care if she dies.

I'm honestly beginning to believe that the writers just hate her. And Bonnie could have incapacitated Stefan easy, I mean she took out Tyler and Damon at the same time. Ugh. I mean in season two she was at least standing up for herself. She was sassy and bold and told off Damon. But then again that made the whole fandom think she was a bitch and hate her. So idk. She can't win either way with the fandom or the writers.
So I've been watching the dvd's back from s1 and s2 just because..and I have to say - the writers really must hate Bonnie. In season 1 - at least she had this weird power where she could incapacitate a vampire with her mind. Her proudest moment was the first finale where she pretty much told Damon he was dead if anybody got hurt again- empty threat though as it turns out. Then all of a sudden, Katherine's second episode- she's powerless to do her mind numbing thing against Katherine for some unknown reason other then Katherine being older then some vampires. Um ok? Then Bonnie pretty much never uses/has that power again. In season 2 - she basically has an aneurism just from sending Elena a message on a piece of paper or from locating her on a map. Again..um, ok? Then she channels Luca and makes leaves fly around only to get totally tricked by him and have ALL of her powers stolen by a touch from Luca's dad. Then she has to channel a bazillion dead witches just to be able to throw Klaus/Alaric around a room but she's strong enough to cast a spell to die and then come back? I haven't yet re-watched the season 2 finale but I'm pretty sure again it results in having to channel a million witches just to get Klaus on the ground..? And then she saves Jeremy (s2 or 3?) and the witches are like- k you suck now all you can do is float pencils. Sorry about the long comment i just think Bonnie is the worst written tv witch ever.
Can they kill of Elena already? She is often worse then the bad guys and I truly despise the character.
omg I say this all the time. Like, WRITERS TAKE A HINT -.-
My Good , I think I hate her so much that it causes me phisycal pain! SHE IS SO ANNOYING
She might be right behind Lori on TWD of characters I day dream about dying a horrible painful death.
she is the most irritating tv character ive ever seen.
I know, right!!! She is my least favorite character!!! And everyone would be better off without her sorry arse!!!
FYI, Price: Klaus didn't get affected by Kol's stabbing simply because he is a hybrid.

It's so obvious, I'm kinda surprise nobody else mentioned it.
I know right! I thought the exact same thing but then Price's recap made me second guess myself. I agree with you, though, I totally think it's because he's a hybrid.
Wasn't the whole "let's stake Kol" plan basically a test to see if/how the Originals were linked and whether they could do anything to stop Mommy Dearest. I assumed that Alcholaric/Damon went into this plan expecting it to fail? But I was generally bored this episode, so I might have missed something important while zoning out.
Hmm no I don't think they deliberately executed the plan expecting to fail.. They just wanted to stake the linked originals via Kol to thwart Esther's plan to rid them of their vampire "spell"(?). I guess if they're staked and in their gray/wrinkly daggered original state then Esther's spell wouldn't be able to work.
me being so sad for 3 main reasons = 1] one month without Price Peterson's epic recaps 2] this episode was so so 3] ELIJAH AND KOL ARE GONE, NOOOOOOOO :(( it SUCKS.

anyway answers:

... Does Elena deserve to be in the dog house with everybody? yes. it took them 3 seasons to realize that ... she shouldnt be in the show at all. make caroline the main character!

... Are you sad about Elijah leaving? not sad but super pissed off. i want Elijah and Kol back!!!

... Are Klaus and Caroline over for good? they are not, unfortunately.

... What should we do now? ... waiting one month ... or read ur old recaps again ;]
Why does Klaus draw like my 4 year old nephew after he's had a lil too much cough syrup? WTF it looks like total shit. Living for over a grand and he still manages to draw like that?
... You are being sarcastic, right?... Right?
Either that or I'm on my period. I'll let you figure that one out.
either that or (s)he has a hell of a nephew :-)
i think that this episode was kind-of-boring...and there were some things there...like for example...what was the deal with bonnie and stefan...i mean she could produce headaches in vampires...why not do it again this time? and esther...cmoooon, aside of the fact that she cheated on her husband and klaus is the result - she is the one to talk about her children beeing monsters? she solved her sons dispute by sacrificing that petrova girl...and now her only purpose is to kill her children? what kind of mother does that?
Did Elijah not kill Elena's Auntie? I really cant remember who offed her. Cause while Elena was being all empathetic towards him this ep, I was only thinking, she should hate him. But I cant remember who done Jenna in.
T'was Klaus. Sure Elijah let it happen so Klaus would be weak enough to be killed, but in his defense (which is where I'll always be because I LOVE Elijah) he thought stefan was going to sacrifice himself to save Jenna.
Well, alrighty then. Thanx for the clarification.
Any time!
One Klaus and Caroline, me likey much better than Caroline-Tyler (tyler doesn't blink, he's so weird)

Two, seriously, taking Elena as a hostage? what is this? season 1??? the damsel-in-distress thing only works on first seasons, i say just kill her and get it over with.

Three, how does killing Abby break the Bennet line's witchy powers? aren't most of them dead and Esther is still channeling their powers? (and HELLO! Abby doesn't have any powers anymore) that plot was kinda stupid. Am so gettin' tired with the whole ohh-let's-kill-the-originals threat. Frik, let them live in some other way. Klause is suppose to be the most threatening and he's been around for how many episodes now? seriously, very tiring plot.

Four, I don't like Meredith fell, she's not drawing any good plot with her.

Five, Where's the flashback with the original sacrifice? Elena's ancestor? everyone's been back, and I wanna see NIna Dobrev in another time again, much like Katherine's flashbacks

Six, WHERE IS KATHERINE PIERCE ALREADY!

Season 3 is very tiring... I want new plot...
Wow. I think season 3 has been the best so far!
"Tyler doesn't blink, he's so weird" Great. Another thing for me to fixate on for the next month of watching reruns.
Bonnie is NOT the one that always gets hurt haha Caroline was essentially raped by Damon over and over, fed from, given blood, smothered by Katherine, turned into a vampire, had to deal with wanting to kill Matt, had to lose Matt, had to lie to her mother, her Father just DIED LAST WEEK (I think I even cared more about him, the total dbag, more than I can about Abby) and she says Bonnie has it the worst? Least B's absentee parent is going to still be alive...sorta. I guess for Bonnie, Elena losing her aunt and her brother from her life is something that made her life more convenient? (No rules!)

That whole poor Bonnie thing just made me go "K but not really"

... Does Elena deserve to be in the dog house with everybody? Yes. Most of the time I can deal with Elena, but she's been kind of a jerk to a lot of people lately. And really stupid with the Stefan thing. Just ugh, finally Damon's going to be interesting again.

... Are you sad about Elijah leaving? Yes ;__;

... Are Klaus and Caroline over for good? I hope not, if Klaus can learn not to lead with his temper in every situation, their dynamic could get pretty intense. Not to mention drama drama for the rest of the group. Maybe it'll break Tyler's sire bond haha

... What should we do now? Yammerin'
I don't know what my problem is this week. I can't seem to organize any cohesive thoughts/complaints about this episode. I think my overall problem was that I was bored watching it? Yeah, I was bored. (It's probably not a good sign for this episode that I had more things to discuss regarding TSC than I did for TVD.) Why is there an inversely proportional relationship between quality of TVD and quality of TSC? TSC, which we all agree is the baby show and only finding it's legs has been sorta great lately, but TVD which should be like one giant attractive flagship show for the CW has just been boring and treading water lately. I WANT GOOD EPISODES OF BOTH TVD AND TSC AND I WANT THEM ON THE SAME NIGHT! Is that really asking for too much? So, after shuffling through the boredom, here's what I came up with.

+ Did Ester and Finn get magically "poofed" away when the Bennet line was broken? Or did I just zone out while they were running off screen? Does anyone know what happened?

+ Did Klaus really almost get hit by a car? I thought he was supposed to have super-better senses, or something. (Reading the other comments on here.....yes, he almost did get hit by a car.) This is just odd. Seems like Klaus would have better reflexes or gotten mad and shoved the car or something.

+ I really like the scenes with the Bros. Salvatore, both where they were in the car discussing what to do and back at home talking about who "won" the coin toss. That being said, I find it a little predictable that Stephan won/lost the coin toss, but Damon stepped in to take his place. Find a new plot device, TVD.

+ Damon does make a better "bad guy." I hope this means a return to a more S1 Damon, with lot's more snark and eye-acting. Stephan makes a horrible good guy. Stephan was better as the Ripper. Redemption Stephan = Lame Stephan = Sad Sack Stephan

+Anyone else LOL when they showed Stephan trying to write in his diary? The diaries are right up there with soap dishes/moonstones.

+ Are we concerned about Alcoholaric? Was his ring on when this happened? I have a soft spot for Ric, but Meredith can just go bite it for all I care. .On second thought WTF was she trying to do? MF is the LAST place that needs an increased vampire population. Killing the council, injecting people with vamp blood, making folks forget being attacked what other possible endgame could this be than to up the vamp population. What a dumb idea. If that's what you really wanted, there's got to be a better way to go about it. Just ask Caroline.

Price's Questions:

1. Undecided. Everything bad happens because of/surrounding her, but it's not like she asked for it.

2. SO SAD!!! The note he left Elena was heartbreaking. I think in many ways, that the healthiest vampire-relationship Elena has is with Elijah. They have a mutual respect and (barring that one blood-champaign incident) honesty that she doesn't seem to have with many of the other characters.

3. Meh. I really like his drawing though (yours, too!), like did Joseph really draw those (which would just make him that much more awesome!) or did they have an unnamed propmaster/artist make them and then just have Joseph sitting there pretending to doodle during his scenes? See, these are the things I think about when I'm bored during TVD.

4. Move to Denver and track down Jeremy (and Katherine!) if we're lucky.
I HOPE the Klaus/Caroline romance isn't over! It's the only relationship worth caring about lately. Ugh - Elena and Stephan, Elena and Damon... I was over it two seasons ago.
Are you a mind reader??? TVD is a great show, but the prospect of Klaus/Caroline makes it amazing for me...I would do a spinoff with the original Family&Caroline...Cuz' Delena/Stelena/ Hellena...is the most boring thing on that show...the Ho3 should just make up her mind already!!!
Can Katherine join your spin off? Please?

Also, which characters do you have to add to get "Hellena"? What am I missing?
No Katherine for me... I don't like Nina Dobrev at all...HELLena....was just her...from Elena...cuz I hate her and it's hell for me when she is on screen... that means 90% of the show... how amazing would be to give more screen time to Caroline, Klaus...and all the other characters???
WHAT? I've never heard of anyone not liking Nina... so confused...
I agree i wouldn't say this was there best story not to mention i think they ran through this story with the originals to fast. As for bonnie and her mom i honestly didn't really get what the point here was for me the only high light of the episode was klaus and caroline i loved there interaction and it seemed for the first time she is actually responding to him in a good way not sure what comes next for them but i highly doubt this is the end. I doubt they would have started something and ended it so fast not to mention at this point klaus hasn't earned her loyality, Klaus burning her pictures was really sad for me but it shows that he isn't just playing with her that he truly does have feelings for her and stephen on his way back to the good guy we all love is about time and the return of demon. I have to admit elena has not been one of my fav this season she done to many wrong things
Well it could be argued that they run through every storyline "too fast." The thing about TVD is that so much happens so fast and in so few episodes that it even gets hard to remember in which season certain events transpired. The writers are good at that. I don't think the fact that the originals' storyline went by fast is in any way indicative of the idea that they might run out of ideas. I'm sure they have plenty up their sleeves!
Little slow here Price- Klaus didn't fall when the rest of the Originals were daggered, because he's half wolf, not full on Original Vampire. The rules are different for him...LOL
Okay, so I watched Honey 2 with Kat Graham being sexy and confident, and then I watched her being funny in the Black and Jewish short. She should probably just Heigl her way off the set for not getting any good material and concentrate on her movie career. It would be good for the show and good for her.
I love that "Heigl her way off the set" is a thing xD.
omg the Black and Jewish thing is terrific, I showed it to everyone I know! If they kill Bonnie off they had better replace her with the greatest bloody African American character to make up for all this. Preferably one who is NOT a witch, so that heinous unacknowledged tradition will end.
It pisses me off that every time they try to kill klause something allways go wrong!!!!!.....what will season 4 be about with so much season finale like episodes?
Let's Battle! xD
hurry up with the secret circle recap man i need it now
haha thats why I'm lurking too
With Price sick, I'm not sure we should expect it until tomorrow.
effff
Price... some of your best photo recap ever! I am still laughing
I just love your photo reviews, been reading them for a while, wanted to say thanks and great job! Oh, and the drawings, yay for the drawings (last week's too)!

This one had me rolling on the floor >>> Quick! Somebody spin this idea off into a show! It can be set in the Hamptons and everything!
If I was Elena I would've moved away and left everyone at the beginning of season 2.

Also, I love Elijah! I don't want him to go :(

Also, I love Elijah! I don't want him to go :(
I'm not sure I understand. Most of the bad things that happen are because Elena is the Petrova doppleganger. If she left, bad things would still happen to her, she'd just be ruining a different set of friends' lives.
Doppleganger question: Petrova doppleganger, does this mean Tatia's last name was Petrova? Because Elena's last name is Gilbert and Katherine's is Pierce. Is Pierce just the Americanized version of Petrova? Or did a Native American girl 1000 years ago (Tatia) have a Bulgarian/Slavic surname?
I remember vaguely they said that Kath changed her surname when she went to the US. Her flashback was set in Bulgaria so her surname should have been Petrova...but since the doppleganger are all female, they doesn't pass the surname so...I'm confused...
You're right, I'm sticking to calling them Dobrev Dopplegangers. So much easier.
Haha. Thanks, that makes total sense that Kat would have Americanized her last name when she came to the US. But shouldn't BOTH Elena and Kat be called the "insert-whatever-Tatia's-last-name-was dopplegangers"?

Great recap/review. The drawings are funny and I got my Coat from Burlington Coat Factory made me literally laugh out loud. But I hope you feel better soon. : )

1. She kind of does. I know a lot of people are upset about Bonnie's treatment towards her in this episode but for once I thought it was justified. I'm not the biggest Bonnie fan, but I can't help but come to her defense on this one.And that doesn't mean that I didn't LOVE the fact that they turned Abby because I really could care less about Abby and it was a really good plan in general. AWESOME. I thought her steering clear of Elena and using Caroline as a middlewoman was so realistic...and this time her being upset and directing it towards Elena was more accurate and less judgmental than she's been in the past. I didn't see it as her blaming Elena specifically, it was more so her wanting to take a break away from her friend whom she loves but who causes hell. Bonnie is willing to die for Elena, and Elena loves Bonnie too and is willing to die for her as well, and grant it Elena never asked for any of this but it can't be ignored that lives are being lost or destroyed and it's all directly or indirectly a result of Elena. I don't think Bonnie was blaming Elena, she was merely distancing herself from the unfortunate situation in general. The show was finally acknowledging that even though Elena never asked for it and it's not her fault...Elena is the reason so much of this stuff is happening. Bad things continue to happen and the lives of her friends are drastically affected repeatedly at the expense of saving Elena. It has to be tough loving her friend and yet loathing the effect the her friend has one everything. Because Elena unintentionally destroys them all Caroline, Tyler, Bonnie, Matt...most bad things that have happened to him all go back to Elena's existence. Plus...even though I'm not a Bonnie fan she does seem to have it tough. While Elena is no stranger to suffering she has everyone willing to die for her, in love with her, or supporting her. And in the eyes of her saviors everyone else is collateral damage. That realization Bonnie had that she's willing to die for her friend but the brothers are willing to sacrifice Bonnie for Elena too has to be ridiculous. Because if they only took enough time to consult with her more, and give her a choice she'd probably make it herself. But she's the only that can't escape from it, because while Caroline can go days w/o being privy to the drama around Elena, and Matt and Tyler and Jeremy and Alaric can sort of escape in their own ways. Bonnie is stuck, the irony of simultaneously being the one relied upon but the most expendable at the same time. In that moment I actually understood and somewhat related to Bonnie more than I have in seasons. because in that instant she wasn't blaming everything on Damon the way she normally does (and probably will do when the show comes back) but she actually for the first time acknowledged the painfully obvious....the big ole bright eyed elephant in the room, that no matter what's going on it all will always trace back to Elena's existence. That's an overwhelming thought and her needing space was so realistic.

I'd also like to add that it once again spoke to the frustrations some of us have noticed on the relationship with the witches and race. Because Esther calling upon the Bennett line, utlizing their powers to kill the vampires. Bonnie and Abby being as expendable , their fate left up to a flip of a coin. It's pretty apparent now...that witches are no more than glorified slaves and it's rather unsettling if you ever put more thought into than they want you to. Bonnie being expendable to save Elena, Bonnie being used for the mere fact that she's a witch....it really is unsettling. So even though Elena couldn't control any of it...it was realistic for her to kind of be in the dog house so to speak. With Stefan, With damon, with Rebekah, Bonnie...

2. Hell yeah! It's freaking Elijah!!! For the record Elijah and Damon were the only two characters who made this episode fantastic. They owned the episode in their own individual ways. I loved Elijah's final speech to Klaus and Rebekah and loved that he left the note for Elena. Their relationship continues to be one of the most intriguing ones on the show, one of honest and pure respect and admiration. He had some really good lines, poignant and deep...so quintessentially Elijah. I hope he returns soon. My thing is what the hell happened to KOL? And I'm still confused about Esther and Finn.

3. Of course not. Klaus is too obsessive to be over that so quickly. Not the man who spent a millenia trying to become a hybrid. He was as adorable as a pissed off toddler when their last animal cracker hit the floor...watching him throw his little paintings into the fire. He's less badass and more...snuggly. They both work for him, because Joseph Morgan is a genius...but yeah.

Highlights...Damon finally coming to grips that he's better at being bad. But he isn't going back to being bad just for bad's sake. He's actually a good bad guy now. He has his feelings but instead of turning them off completely he's toning them down to make decisions. The pivotal relationship of this show is the one between the Salvatore brothers,so watching him willing to take the fall so that Stefan can continue on his path of redemption was fantastic. He's never given enough credit for how self sacrificing he can be...especially in regards to people he truly loves such as his brother and Elena. Damon knows that he will always be blamed for everything...he's the resident bad boy, and instead of being hampered by that he is now using it to his avantage to be effective in a way that none of the others can quite be. Because no matter how horrible they consider him to be, he can do things that none of them can. It was a moment of growth for him, because he's finding a way to make the old Damon coincide with the new Damon. Brilliantly done. And of course Elijah was the other highlight...because everything he does tends to be so brilliant and carries with it an undercurrent of introspection. Through elijah various themes of the show seem to manifest themselves and I for one love that about him and the show. Family.Honor.Love.Loyalty. No other character has the innate ability to be so complex and yet so simplistic at the same time.

As for Alaric. We know he won't day. I didn't really flinch. And as for Mer...can someone kill her off yet? You know...before her alcohol filled liver does?! Also the quest for the white oak tree...makes me wonder if Elijah knew about it all along and that was part of his plan to keep Elena safe...before she jumped on board with Esther. I still don't fully comprehend all of that becasue really if the curse would have turned them all back to humans than why did she need to kill her kids too?!! I thought this episode was brilliant in how understated it was. It wasn't as action packed as others have been and not much actually happened...but the subtle things that came about were promising and delved deeper into the characters, a slight shift of things in general. It wasn't the on the edge of your seat winter finale...but honestly if I'm going to have to wait until roughly Alaric's favorite holiday to see a new episode...than I'm fine with that.
Elena should become a vampire right now, that would make her interesting again.

I remember the writers of the show saying it's not The Elena Diaries but the Vampire Diaries for a good reason, yet the entire show revolves around her. It's getting old.

The BOOKS revolve around Elena, however LJ Smith managed to keep them much more interesting by including a world (or worlds) around Mystic Falls and adding much more mythology than a witch and a few werewolves. Had they follwed the books more closely this show could have been a million times better. (BTW I do genuinely love this show, I just wish that they had used the books better)
I want to see a TVD version of Mrs. Flowers.
I agree altough, the books were a bit too much (talking about Elena the angel with wings and all that crap) Bonnie's really great in the books and I wish she was like that in the show as well. And Meredith and even Matt were really good characters in the books, but in the show...blah.

The show however gave me Kathrine - which I adore - and Caroline also a better Klaus.

The books had REAL bad guys, the show doesn't...
I haven't read them ; are you saying Elena is an angel in the books ?

we should put "spoiler" for those who don't want to know, but I do !

Thanks ;-)
We agree about Book-Elena being too much (that whole wings-of-whatever, plot was just odd), but I never found book-Bonnie interesting.To me book-Bonnie came off as super child like, whiny, and in need of much coddling/hand holding. You are not the first person I've seen post that book-Bonnie was/is better than TVD-Bonnie. If someone can show me how Bonnie was awesome in the books, I'd love to hear it.
Bonnie's witch skills work, from time to time. Consider it a draw.
Her psychic thing actually worked from time to time... thats a step above Bonnies witch skills?
I love this show, and your recaps ALONE make it worth watching, BUT... I had high hopes for this season, and the writing is starting to worry me a little bit. :( It's starting to feel like one of those stories that one person starts, and then passes around the room for everyone else to add a little bit to it... 1)The Klaus / Caroline thing feels like it's out of nowhere and 2) there is so much potential with these "Original" siblings, and I'm afraid that's going to get completely wasted. Wasn't Klaus supposed to be like the most evil of allllll the evil in the whole world, to the extent that everyone was TERRIFIED of him? He just seems to kind of mildly annoy everyone now. I REALLY want to see the whole family have to deal with being made human... if that doesn't happen it will be a big disappointment.
I LOVE Elijah! I hope he comes back!
Awesome review of course :D Your drawings make me laugh all the time...

I think it wasn't an awesome episode when it comes to action or etc... but I think it was needed when it comes to the characters... Elena/her friends, Damon/Stefan and the love triangle will change after this I guess (I hope).

That and Damon was awesome so, hey I love this episode forever lol

(1)Sure. I think that she lost much more than Bonnie and even Caroline if you think about it. She lost not 2 but 5 "parents". FIVE

(Isobel, John,Jenna and her mother and father)

She "lost "Jeremy.

IDK everyone is pretty messed up at this point lol I think it's pretty random how everyone falls in love with her and chooses her above everyone else but...whatever. I think that if something like that had happened to Bonnie or Caroline, the result would be the same.

(afterall, damon got bit on 2x20 because of Caroline if you really think about it, I guess)

(2) YESSSS, COME ON!!! why on earth isn't he a regular?

(3)No, please. They got even better now! No way.

(4) Write and read fanfiction? Sit and wait? Cry?
I think the Doppleganger is like a Siren....cuz no way all those girls were so irresistable as to make any man, human or supernatural be at their mercy like that!

I think as far as Elena to tally things up a bit...if you look at it in regards to what's natural....Elena lost two parents of a car accident. Everyone else she's lost because of superaturaldom and the unfortunate role she plays in it.

Bonnie lost her Grams for Elena's sake....sort of. She lost her mother...apparently for her Elena's sake. She lost Jeremy because Elena's role in the supernatual world was taking a toll on him and Elena wanted to protect him. All great and swell but it's almost like too little too late, since half her senior class is dead as a result of her, most of her family is dead as a result of her, Caroline's father is dead as a result of her, Caroline is a vampire as a result of her, I mean even if Elena doesn't intend for any of this stuff to happen, she indirectly has shattered all of her friends' worlds with her very existence. Taking a break away from the girl who is like a walking grim reaper is so understandable. Especially before you go back to proteting her like everyone else.
More +
i agree. Even though I'm mad at her for breaking Damon's heart, the fact that she had lost her entire family, i can't blame her for still longing for Stefan.
1. Yup she does deserve to be in the dog house. If not for her, Elijah would not have kidnapped her, forcing Damon and Stefan to break the Bennet bloodline. So yea, she needs to be given a reality check on the things she does. Glad Caroline (the best!) and Bonnie stood up to her.

2. Gosh yea! I hope he comes back in future episodes. He can't be gone for good!!

3. I hope not!!! Klaus burning the sketches better not be an indication of this! Although it borders on corny I love Klaus' and Caroline's interactions!!!

4. Just twiddle out thumbs and wonder what other ways can Elena ruin things. lol.
Load More Comments