The Voice: And the Winner Is...

The Voice S02E21: “Live Finale”

Well, that was a little bit unexpected. No, not so much Jermaine Paul sweeping in to win it all on The Voice but the fact that everyone’s favorite mandroid, Chris Mann, came in fourth. For real. Where did all the soccer moms go?

I was just starting to make peace with the idea of him winning, too. I thought for sure that the top two would be some combination of Chris and Juliet Simms.

But hey, even I’m wrong sometimes. Okay, lots of times. Shh. That’s our secret.

Here’s where everyone landed after two hours of build-up:

4. Chris Mann

3. Tony Lucca

2. Juliet Simms

1. Jermaine Paul

Did I mention that the build-up resulted in barely ten minutes dedicated to the actual results? Carson really milked the anticipation between telling us that he was about to announce fourth place and then actually announcing it. He had to amuse himself somehow, though, and it was probably refreshing to reach the end of the show and realize that for once, he wasn’t stuck trying to coax something resembling a coherent response from our esteemed judges as the credits rolled over his panicked visage.

There were the obligatory flashbacks to the humble beginnings of our four finalists. There were quickie features about the Epic Bromance of Adam and Blake and that fierce and feisty feline, Purrfect the Cat. And of course, no two hours of white noise would be complete without the parade of celebrity guests.

Bieber Fever was in full swing and I hate myself for typing that phrase. Flo Rida did a duet with Juliet Simms because that apparently made sense to someone with the power to make such partnerships a reality. Lady Antebellum sang something that sounded like a Lady Antebellum song and Hall and Oates attempted to create an air of musical legitimacy by performing their song “Rich Girl.”

You know what, though? All picking aside, it was a fun finale, an energetic celebration of the four talented finalists who also got to perform, just for fun, before the results of America’s voting were revealed. We even saw some old familiar faces, with many of the recently eliminated contestants returning to the stage during their former teammates' final songs. Of particular delight, I thought, was the collaboration between Jermaine Paul, Jamar Rogers, Pip, and James Massone on the Jackson 5’s “I Want You Back”. Loved the jackets, fellas. Did anyone ever tell you you look great in gold? Also awesome was the triple-threat team-up of Chris Mann, Lindsey Pavao, and Katrina Parker on a very trippy cover of “Bittersweet Symphony.” It was a little weird, but in a good way. Our little mandroid is a real boy now. I’m so proud.

But now, now we return to our regularly scheduled Monday (and Tuesday) nights. Jermaine Paul gets to go make what I hope will be a funky and fun album. I’d totally be okay with bringing Blake back for another go at “Soul Man.” I don’t think I mentioned how very cool that performance was last night, but it was cool. Very very cool.

So... did your favorite finalist win? Anybody checking out America’s Got Talent on Monday? I’ll be there for sure.

ps. i actually did enjoy the last show too. i liked that some of the old contestants came back and did songs with the final four. i liked hall & oates. i am a big fan. and as for the voting...i voted for chris mann, and it was partly because he was a class act on TV- and on twitter. i am not really a huge fan of opera, but i do love to go to the opera from time to time. k so maybe i am a nerd...lol...but vocally i thought he was the best singer left out of the four. so i voted for him, and i also voted for juliet. even though i was not that big a fan of "free bird." i thought " its a mans world" was awesome! and "roxanne" was my fav by her. she wasn't consistent though. "cryin" lacked the luster...her save me song "torn" was weak. i thought katrina was much more consistent with all her songs, esp "jar of hearts" and her save me songs "don't speak" and "perfect." the only bad feedback she got from any of the coaches was when she did a billy corgan song, (which cee lo felt shouldn't have ever been covered). i thought it was foolish of him to say that. why can you cover freddie mercury, nirvana, the beatles...yet not smashing pumpkins. billy corgan is not a god. i understand if you cover him, you must make it your own, cus no one can duplicate billy...and that's exactly what she did was make it her own...the smashing pumpkins themselves actually loved katrinas version of the song. and they have loved other bands covering their songs in the past. so i highly disagree with cee lo on that one. but other than that; christina, blake, and cee lo...all said katrina was the best singer on adams team, and i agree. but she just wasn't as popular- being an insurance worker, and not coming from another reality show or band like most of the others. and that's probably why adam cut her. he thought lucca had the better chance to win. but that didn't happen for him. so maybe next time he should go by the actual voice and not his epic bromance (as you put it:) because in the end america did vote katrina in. anyway these are just my thoughts...
lol this is the only picture that i could fit in.. why do they have to be so small. i have no idea, but it is me dognponyshow. hope all is good with you girl:)
i have been trying for a while to post in ur blog girl, but it kept on saying the site is not secure...and now the show is over & i finally get through. i have been banned from other blogs for my views lol...i just unfollowed a bunch of the contestants and coaches due to the bromance and backfatguleria sh*tt... i dunno if u can swear in here...but there are contestants, coaches, bloggers, and fans causing so much drama over this tv show! it is absolutely ridiculous! everyone is so shocked/mad that jermaine won-- i didn't vote for the guy myself, but i am glad he beat tony lucca. i just didn't think tony was that good. i do agree with xtina about him being a one dimensional singer, but i don't agree with the way she treated/talked down to him. what makes me laugh about all of this- is that it is a game show, and in the end, there is only going to be one winner...maybe it shouldn't have been jermaine, but it was...and i can see even the viewers getting mad. but the contestants playing the blame game on other contestants and coaches-is really petty, seeing as they all claimed just how close they were in real life. as far as i'm concerned. they are acting like babies, and sore losers. america voted the guy in, there's nothing they can do about it now.
one last thing...i don't normally give a hoot about fashion, but somebody please call the police on Christina Agulera for wearing Wonder Woman's mother's tacky underwear as outerwear all the time. Gross.
and another thing...why does Tony Luca dress like a 12 year old in a boy band?
Boo hoo--who I thought should win did not win.

That's no my real issue with the show.

The reasons I've grown to hate this show are:

1. The second round felt phony, contrived, and worst of all pre-determined. (the battle round of the first season was a lot more fun.

2. The judges treated the contestant like they were 3 year olds wearing suicide jackets.

3. The judges spoke in tired, pat, patronizing, superficial, self esteem positive reinforcing generalities.

4. The judges comments were often disfluent, like something a left wing Sarah Palin would say.

5. The judges comments were not only overwrought but very long.

6. The judges kept repeating the above over and over again.

For this show to work, there needs to be new judges every year.

7. Cee-lo was so figuratively incestuous and sleazy. Half the time he was flirting with the contestants, the other half of the time he was talking about how they are part of his family now. Ugh. I don't want insight into how he seduces young talent. And I could do without his crazy outfits as well. (I love his music though...)
Chris Mann is TERRIBLE. Please don't include me in the phrase "everybody's favorite"...he's an opera singer, not a pop singer. He sounds like an opera singer.

Frankly, in what place do you think he would finish in "Opera Idol"...he's just not THAT good.

Anyway, it was a terrible top 4, a lackluster winner, and a pretty pathetic second Season.

This show deserves to be canceled.
I was hoping Juliet would win, but I'm still happy for Jermaine. He really did sing his heart out with that last song. Up until that point, I didn't find him interesting to watch at all. The thing I'm having a problem with is the format throughout season 2. I didn't like that they let the coaches eliminate contestants. I would have liked to have let the viewers have full control of who stayed and who went. Other than that, I enjoyed it and will probably tune into season 3.
I really don't understand the hate that some people have for the top 4. I've read comments here, and on other sites, and it just amazes me. Do people actually know what good voices sound like? Or do they look at something else, and decide to hate the people because of it?

Personally, I think Juliet should have won, with Tony coming in second. However, it was hard for me to come to that choice, considering all four were fantastic. I just felt that Juliet and Tony were just a slight step above Jermaine and Chris.
This comment has been removed.
Totally agree, if the target audience for the show wasn't 98% female Lucca wouldnt have made it out of the quarter finals, there were SO many better than him. Hello Katrina Parker. Sadly that audience is also why Juliet got robbed of the victory.
I agree with you on the Juliet Simms part, but thinking that Tony Lucca has no talent? Oh please! The man is amazing. He wasn't riding on any coattails. He decided not to pursue music after MMC, and then decided later on to try it. And, in my opinion, is better off for it. He is very talented, and will go far.
When frontrunner Jesse was dropped earlier as a contender for ??? reasons, my family just stopped caring thereon. The show just lost its cred and once again the producers of the show must think it's cool to mess with the audience. I dunno about S03 of The Voice. Keep screwing with the format and it'll turn from hero to zero.
Jesse was good, but he was the same each and every show. There was no improvement, and to be honest, he needed some improvement.

But let me see if I have this right. Because you and your family didn't like the fact that Jesse was voted off, the entire show lost credibility? Wow! Didn't realize that the family that decides everything was on this site!
Me and my family also agreed
I disagree about Jesse. Although he was clearly one of the best, if not the best singer on the show, image wise he was a hot mess. I just don't see anybody buying his album. But he'd make a great backup singer for just about anyone.

The clear winner of the show, not only from a singing point of view but from the point of view of being able to market the singer and their album, it should have been Ashley De La Rosa.
The big problem with these types of shows is that the frontrunner often builds up the most resentment amongst those whose favorite didn't win, and as such has a nearly impossible time actually winning.
who RESENTS Jermaine Paul?

He seems like a really nice guy...I just don't think he's going to be very successful.

you might be projecting.
I have to admit I was not a Jermaine Paul fan early on. But as the show progressed and he relaxed, to me, he got better and better. He seems to be a more fleshed out, well-rounded entertainer than the others. The finale was super fun; loved the tribute to the Jackson Five (best performance of the night; too bad it was first because everything else didn't quite match it). Truly enjoyed the duet with him and Blake Shelton. They looked like they were having fun with it. And shame on Carson Daly for drawing out the results like that....seriously, it was ridiculous. Regardless, can't wait for next season. This show kicks Idol's ass!
Staff
Jermaine really grew on me too. A lot of his competitive songs were hit or miss for me, but his other performances were always really awesome. LOVED the Blake duet and the Jackson 5 tribute!
You can assume most likely all four finalists will get record deals, isn't that what happened last year? Dia Frampton, who didn't win seems to be doing pretty good for herself.
I don't know. Dia Frampton did not come out of nowhere, and she was pretty awesome. Far better than any of this season's finalists.

I don't see any of these guys having very successful albums.

Did your favorite finalist win? Jermaine has an incredible voice and so do the runner-ups but from the very start, Lindsey Pavao was my favourite! :)

Anybody checking out America's Got Talent on Monday? Not me.