The Voice: Another Four Bite the Dust

The Voice S02E13: "Elimination, Week 2"

I’m really bummed to be saying goodbye to Tony “Voldemort” Vincent. I dug him. I dug his intensity and his infuriating ability to apply eyeliner better than me. It’s a hard combination to get right—the eyeliner nullifies the effects of excessive intensity by telling us, “It’s okay, he’s creative,” but at the same time, too much eyeliner coupled with an abundance of intensity just makes the man (or woman, to be fair here) look like an escaped mental patient. Tony Vincent had achieved that perfect balance, in my eyes.

But sadly, our contemplation of the intensity-to-eyeliner ratio must come to an end. Tonight, Cee Lo fried Lord Tony’s last horcrux.

THE SAVED:

Team Cee Lo
Juliet Simms
Jamar Rogers
James Massone

Team Adam:
Mathai
Tony Lucca
Pip

Pip was certainly a surprise for me, but not an unpleasant one. His performance on Monday night wasn’t particularly bad, it was just obvious. Maybe he’ll go back to being all smiley and adorable now that America has seemingly stated, with the inclusion of Pip and James Massone (another surprise that didn’t make me die inside) on its "approved" list, that we like our rock stars to ROCK...just not too hard.

THE CONDEMNED:

Team Cee Lo:
Cheesa
Tony Vincent
Erin Martin

Team Adam:
Kim Yarbrough
Karla Davis
Katrina Parker

Erin Martin returned to form and gave us the type of performance that we expect from Erin Martin (re: awful) and while personally, I found Tony Vincent’s creepy rendition of “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)”—he was definitely channeling the Manson version—more enjoyable than Cheesa grunting through the high notes in “All By Myself,” it’s not like Cheesa was unbearable. I was surprised that the judges unanimously chose her, though. I mean, her performance was a step above exceptional karaoke at best.

On Team Adam, Katrina brought a little ska to the party and managed to save herself through the magic of vintage No Doubt. Katrina sure loves her '90s music and that makes me love Katrina. Seriously—you, me, and a box of cassettes that haven’t been disturbed since 1997. It’ll be awesome. But mostly, Katrina was just confident. Once again, her “Bertha” voice failed to make an appearance, and Kim’s performance was good, but not particularly exciting. The judges’ favorite word of the night was “immediacy,” and out of Adam’s three mentees, Katrina was the only one who managed to bring it to the stage without being scared of it.

Ultimately, in addition to Voldemort, we said goodbye to Kim, Karla, and Erin.

What’s your take on tonight’s results?

I figured it would be a toss up between Tony and James getting the saves from the people but whoever didn't go through, I wanted to be saved by Cee-Lo. While I'm still not a fan of Cheesa, at least that was her best performance. I haven't been able to stomach listening to her previously. However, I will thank the public for not putting through the awfully terrible Erin.
Meh, I really wanted Tony to be saved, though to be fair I think Cee Lo was gonna pick him too until Cheesa hit those one or two big & sustained notes. So yeah while it sucks, and while I dont really like Cheesa, she was the best in terms of those performances!

Completely agreed with Adam's save too.
Not Voldemort he's the only one that I liked!(I only saw part of one episode though)
I nailed Cee los Team. Adams I had all wrong.
I am just relieved that Ceelo didn't pick Erin. Because for a second there I thought he was going to be insane and do just that. James Massone has the girls on his side so as much as he isn't that great he will continue to be there as long as they vote for him. I mean seriously, worse singers have had careers all because the tweens like them. Justin Bieber comes to mind and I don't nearly want to punch James in the face as much as I want to that guy/girl? Cheesa, I just don't get, she isn't going to win, she isn't even going to come close. All of Adams's team that is left can potentially win. The only one that can and probably will win on Ceelo's camp is Juliet and that is it. Voldemort wouldn't have one but he would have at least made the final two on Ceelo's team. And if Juliet wasn't there could potentially win. My opinion of course.
and cee lo keeps disappointing me with the wrong choices.... (at least he didn't save erin whose performance was pitchy the whole time making it unbearable)
What is wrong with people's ears? How did James Massone make it through? He stills sounds like his balls have yet to drop. He sounds like a backup singer for a boy band. I'll grant you that he didn't sound terrible Monday night, the song was actually pretty good for him (good job CeeLo), but he still wasn't better than Tony or even Cheesa (I agree, Cheesa was not that great; Tony was easily the best of the three). He's not particularly attractive either. He's not quite at the Erin Martin level of bad, but he's closer to it than he is to good. I just can't believe that he can make it through to next week, while you have people with actual talent that never made it past battle rounds like Justin Hopkins, Anthony Evans, or even Wade (who James somehow beat out). This is one of those cases that we may never have a good answer to, i.e. is time travel possible?, is their life on another planet?, how the hell does justin bieber have a career?

On another note, I'm still not sure about Matthai. I don't think she is as good as everyone's making her out to be. Adam's team is kind of weak, so she deserves to go through, but her rendition of "Ordinary People" was ok at best. She threw so many runs in there that she sounded a little too all over the place. Maybe I'm biased because it's a great song performed by an amazing artist (John Legend is legend-wait-for-it----dary!), but I think sometimes contestants try to do too much with the song. I wouldn't have voted for her, but luckily, other people did and she made it through.
Chessa is like a contestant at a company Idol competition. She's good in a small pond, but she has no originality and no star quality to compete in The Voice any further than she has. Tony Vincent put on a far better performance. I'm just relieved that CeeLo didnt pick Erin Martin.
i really liked voldemort
I actually Love Cheesa a lot she has such a great voice msA