The Voice: Better Living Through Chemistry

I always seem to forget that Carson Daly is on this show. Every time. Every single time. We run through the opening credits and it’s all “Hello, judges! Hello, talent!” and then BAM, Carson Daly is there and it’s like taking a football to the face. (Been there. Done that. Nursed the concussion.) Daly's understated presence is a nice counter to the occasionally over-the-top personalities of our judges. He is a calming force, and he clearly understands his role as host. Sometimes, when I watched The X-Factor, I thought Steve Jones was confused. "Host," Mr. Jones, does not always equal "star."

Sometimes it does, sure, but not when you’re on the same show as Simon Cowell.

And The Voice has Cee Lo Green.

But that’s not to say that Cee Lo alone is the star of The Voice. That’s not accurate at all. Cee Lo just happens to be my favorite. He has a cat. Does anybody know the cat’s name? I keep calling it Mr. Bigglesworth because I lack imagination. Help a girl out?

Cee Lo is my favorite, but everyone has their moments. Week in and week out, I can‘t help but marvel at the civility that permeates The Voice, from the contestants to the judges. This week, the judges get the gold star. Ultimately, they are the ones who set the tone for the auditions, and will continue to set the tone as the more competitive aspect of The Voice comes to the surface. Maybe, at that time, the friendly ribbing will give way to the cattiness I come to expect on these talent shows, but for now, I’m just going to roll around in all of this delightful chemistry.

The Blake and Christina Show never really gets old. They’re like two siblings bickering over the toy at the bottom of the cereal box whenever they have to woo the same contestant. Adam is so serious, I think he beams up to some sort of mothership at the end of every episode to return to his home planet. And Cee Lo is just crazy and fun. When Cee Lo learned that contestant Jamie Lono makes his living in a Chicago sandwich shop, he said, “We should hook up, man. I eat sandwiches,” to win him over. That seems like sound logic to me.

Other highlights from Monday’s blind auditions:

– Street musician Naia Kete gave a delightful rendition of “The Lazy Song.” I dig her style, thus missing the entire point of this show.

– Sharon Mathai was awesome. I just wish the shoo-in contestant wasn’t always saved for the very last performance of the night. It’s a little anticlimactic.

– Cee Lo and Christina duked it out over Jonathas Ojeda’s silky smooth voice. He ultimately picked Christina, saying, “I was in, like, fifth grade when ‘Genie in a Bottle’ came out,” effectively giving The Voice a perfect record when it comes to making me feel older than dirt.

– Charlotte Sometimes? She has a recording contract already! So, it was no surprise when all four judges swiveled their chairs during her rendition of “Apologize,” but it just made me squint at the TV with a bit of distrust. Her 2008 debut album has been living on my iPod since, oh, probably 2008. I’m not saying that she’s not a capable addition to Blake Shelton’s team, I’m just saying I saw her at the Van’s Warped Tour a few years ago, fell asleep on a hill during her set, and got one of the worst sunburns of my life. And she already has a moderately successful music career. (Her second album came out last year. That one does not live on my iPod.)

Did anybody else rock your socks this week?

Feb 26, 2012
hahah I really like Adam's team, I think he has a solid chance to win again, althought Blake may put up a fight! I'm loving the show so much, it's better that last year's. I also have been scouting online for some new artists, it's fun to go over there and vote and check them out, there are many good ones, and somre very funny ones, competition is on every week on www.makeastar.com
Feb 22, 2012
Haha I hate Carson so much its like hes trying wayyyyyy to hard to be fun and cool it just makes me feel bad for him. Cee Lo is hilarious to me not in a good way stroking that cat I mean come on who does he think he is a Bond Villan but he is really entertaining most of the time. I am totally team Adam and Blake is a close second for me they are both so serrious and seem to care so much. And I still cannot understand what Christina is still doing there she is awful so annoying and just seems like she is trying to make everyone angry sometimes
Feb 22, 2012
I don't know what the cat's name is. But it seriously make Cee Lo look like a Bond villain. I like it, it is ridiculous and absurd and genius. Adam, I think he just really wants to win, he picks the talented people. He or Blake with be more than likely in the finals again. Chrisitna and Cee Lo always seem to end up with lesser talents. As for the contestants, The Sometimes girl has a contract, so I believe did Javier Colon, as did Dia Frampton. I don't think she will make it all the way because there have been better singers. And I can't believe I watch this show.
Feb 22, 2012
Haha I totally agree this is like a totaly guilty pleasure i hate these types of shows but I love Adam and Blake so much so now I am stuck watching forever!
Feb 22, 2012
It is really starting to weigh on my psyche as to why I watch it. I know why I started to watch it. Last season I had been to a few Jazz Clubs that Vicci Martinez happened to be playing at and I always thought that she was very good. So I liked watching her success. (Plus, Dia, so pretty.)But now it is something that I can't turn away from.

As for Christina, I think as with her current level of "singing" she wants to show people she is number 1 despite not being, and so extremely talented which she is but completely over does it in order to I think in her mind show everyone that she is the best. It is why she sings the horrible way she does and why she acts the way she acts. However she I don't think will ever win, she could never stand picking someone and promoting someone that could potentially be better than herself. Take a look at last years group sing where she featured herself on Lady marmalade vs the rest of them.

YA see, I watch this way too much. I am going to go watch reruns of Cops to balance it out.
More +
Feb 23, 2012
i gotta say i disagree on christina... she has Chris Mann, Jesse Campbell, and Lindsey Pavao on her team this year. They are all great singers with amazing voices. And she still has an amazing voice too. Watching Burlesque has definitely convinced me of that. Although, all of her hand motions when the contestants sing and overuse of the words "Oh God" and the wierd high pitched screams do annoy me a lot
Feb 24, 2012
Oh there is no doubt Christina has an amazing voice. But the way she utilizes it is just annoying. Just because you can hit every note there is. It doesn't mean you should add 18 extra syllables to every word in order to do so. Did you hear her rendition of "At Last". That was horrible.

And just because she has great singers. Doesn't mean she knows what to do with them. The rest of the coaches when they brought in the second coaches. Brought in some people that knew what they were doing and were extremely experienced. Christina brought in Sia.
Feb 22, 2012
you can follow the cat on twitter @PurrfectTheCat
Feb 22, 2012
The cat's name is Purrfect. I thought it was fake the few first times... I found it interesting that Anthony Evans, who's a huge Christian artist, was there and Kirk Franklin, another huge Christian artist, was in the wings waiting for him.
Feb 22, 2012
Does anyone else notice how remarkebly tiny Cee Lo's hands are? It is so distracting! If you remember the Burger King commercial from a few years ago with the guy who didn't want to eat a Whopper because of his tiny (CGI) hands, well, that is what it reminds me of EVERY time he moves his hands.