The Voice: How Would You Rank the Top 3?

With the The Voice’s final rounds looming and only three spots available, the top four contestants stuck to the tried-and-true formulas this week: Cassadee Pope threw on a sparkly dress and belted a country ballad, Nicholas David tapped into America’s ooey, gooey center with a tribute to his family, Terry McDermott finally sang a Beatles song, and Trevin Hunte dusted off another diva number and aimed for the high notes.

Unfortunately, the inconsistency that dogged Hunte all season long reappeared during his better-than-average-but-also-weirdly-boring rendition of “Wind Beneath My Wings” and America voted him off the island... er... stage. A bummer for sure, but not an unexpected one.

This week’s semifinals also served as a Team Blake Christmas Reunion Special when the current and former members of Team Blake joined Blake Shelton on the stage for a performance of “White Christmas” on Monday and “country badass” RaeLynn popped up on Tuesday to sing her new single “Boyfriend.” Thanks for nothing, Santa. A simple stocking full of coal would have been fine.

However, Team Blake wasn’t the only gang getting in on the alumni action. Last season’s finalists Chris Mann and Juliet Simms of Teams Xtina and Cee Lo, respectively, also showed up to show off their shiny new singles, and Tony Lucca of Team Adam dropped by to, uh, hang out with Adam? Announce that he signed with Levine’s record label? Rub it in perpetual hater Xtina’s face? Idk, but he certainly wasn’t there to sing. Xtina’s vendetta against her fellow ex-Mouseketeer last season was so bizarre and relentless—comedy gold, man. I missed it.

Here are my Top 3 Power Rankings:

3. Nicholas David – Team Cee Lo

David toned down the retro vibe and went for pure emotion with his performance of “You Are So Beautiful,” dedicated to his wife. Aww.

2. Terry McDermott – Team Blake

That last note was a little rough, but it was “Let it Be” and it was the Beatles and it was Terry McDermott singing it with Adam Levine rocking out in his whirly chair. Levine was unusually energetic after spending most of the season apparently napping. I suspect the possibility of annoying Christina Aguilera by putting her in the same room as Tony Lucca added that little spring to his step.

1. Cassadee Pope – Team Blake

Pope sang “Stupid Boy” by Keith Urban and even though I thought the constant hand gestures were annoying and distracting, it was a solid performance that prompted Christina to comment, “You almost sound autotuned, you’re so perfect.” I’ve never, ever heard someone refer to a singer as sounding “autotuned” and mean it as a compliment, but, well, that’s Xtina for you. She speaks her own language.

How would you rank the top three?

I'm happy with all 3 in the finals but totally sad Trevin had to go. I don't really care who wins although I'm kinda pulling for Terry or Cassadee (depending on the day)
the top 3 should have been , Amanda (She is the most talented of all) , Cassadee & any one else

I stopped watching after Amanda left i am just reading updates since Cassadee will never surprise she almost sings the same song every show

I don't like Nicholas at all , i don't know what made him reach this point !!!!!
There were a few comparisons to be made during these shows.

For instance, I thought Blake's rendition of "White Christmas" with Team Blake was more entertaining than Michael Buble's christmas song which I've already forgotten. Plus, Blake's deep country voice really sat well in his song, where as this was a time when I was thinking to myself that man, Buble sound so much better on his album...

I had the same thoughts about Raelynn vs Juliet. Juliet was sooo good last year. She was my favorite! And now she looks like Ashley Simpson, has a pretty terrible single, and her voice just seemed really off. Meanwhile, Raelynn is the same as she was last year but with a better voice and a very age appropriate (and catchy) single.

Team Blake is definitely going to win, and maybe this time, we'll get a winner who - yknow - actually DOES something. That'd be kinda nice.
i hope cassadee wins just so there's a female winner for once...
The three should be Trevin, Amanda, and someone else, either Cassadee, Terry, or Melanie
Though Amanda should be there. I am all right with the final three. Way better than last seasons finalists.

Speaking of last season. What happened to Juliet Simms, that was a horrible song for her.
Staff
Right? I was actually looking forward to her performance too. :/
The inherent problem with these types of shows and the artists that come from them is they get stuck in pop music hell. She should be singing classic rock styled music and that is it. Also they should have half of their albums as covers and half as original music. And introduce people to themselves outside of the show.
I actually think the problem is the opposite. Some of these "artists" aren't willing to compromise to create music that everybody likes, ie, what they want to sing and how they want to sing it isn't very good. When the producers and the coaches craft them, they are amazing, but their own instincts aren't--and that's why in a lot of cases they ended up here instead of major recording artists in the first place. Something was wrong with their original music. Adam made Javier sing better stuff than Javier wanted to write (have you heard it is bad). Nicholas' own pre-Voice music that I can find is just too wacky. I still can't figure out what went wrong with Terry, his voice is good and his Lotus Crush album is pretty awesome. I have some of his demos on repeat, they aren't weird or bad or anything, they're fun. It makes me wonder if he isn't as together as he comes across on TV.

I think that's why people are so excited about Cassadee. She wants to be famous, and she seems willing to be an artist that lots of people will like, instead of being "creative" or wacky or "playing with music."
More +
Perhaps you are right. The one I think really missed out was Dia Frampton. She in my opinion had some of the best songs on the show. I still play her version of "Heartless" on the occasional playlist. And when she was done with the show, she pretty much went right back to singing he same type of stuff from her previous band.

But I just don't see how anyone could have told Juliet that yea that sounds good. You should go with that. Because that song was horrible.
Think Cassadee will take the cup or magical recording contract or whatever they actually get. Cash? There's cash too, right? Mostly because she has the widest appeal -- that is, I think those who are anti-Cassadee will be divided between Nicholas and Terry, but anyone who likes pop and isn't into rock or soul will go for her.

Would this be my ideal top 3? Probably not. Kind of miss Amanda and Melanie who at least brought something a bit more unique to the performance rounds. But it was time for Trevin to go. He had a good run, but that last song was not excellent.

Slightly off topic, but I think Terry kind of mailed in the Little Talks song, though, really, what a bizarre choice for them to sing. Even Cassadee sounded a bit wonky on it.

Staff
Little Talks was super weird and off.

I think Cassadee will end up taking it for pretty much the reasons you stated. She has the broad appeal going for her. I like Terry, but I think I'm mostly cheering for Nicholas David just because out of the three, he's the least cookie cutter.

I think there's money. $100,000 is the number that comes to mind.
i miss amanda brown too much to care about any of this anymore
Staff
Me too. We should start a support group.
Team Terry. He had me from the beginning.
Honestly, this season I only liked Melanie Martinez, and just because I loved her covers, not because her voice was all that. So now I kind of just don't care anymore. I don't like any of the remaining contestants, just glad Hunte finally left. He is so incredibly boring.
It’s come to the point of the competition where I’d be a little bit sad no madder who went home. I think Trevin had one of his weaker performances and picked a boring song add that to going in the dreaded first spot of the night and it spelled the end for him. I’m sure he will have a nice career though.
Top 3 Rankings:
Terry: He probably won’t win but he’s the best in my opinion. I’ve been saying on this board that he needs to do a Beatles song and I was really glad he did so with Let it Be. That song was very tough to sing because you don’t want to over sing it but also don’t want to butcher it. I thought Terry did a great job mostly sticking to the original and occasionally adding in a little Terry flair to it. I’m very anxious to see what he does next week but song choice could be key for him if he wants to have a chance. I’m just happy he made it this far and hope he can change the face of rock music.
Cassadee: I can’t fault her for having a great voice, she does but I’m never really wowed by her performances maybe because I don’t either know or like any of the songs she picks but I wish she would do something more challenging. She will probably win the show and have great success but I’d feel a lot better about it if she comes out next week and tears the roof off the place.
Nicholas: You are so Beautiful was a great song choice for him but it was a bit pitchy at parts. Joe Cocker is very tough singer to match. I like Nick and making it this far was a great accomplishment. I still would like to see a grittier side to him but he may just not have that in him which is perfectly fine.
I am totally unabashedly on Team Blake, subset Team Terry. I know the producers/Terry uses his accent and precocious son to manipulate us. I'm not even sure he tried to sing that awful and too young Little Talks, he just brogued his way through and I let him, because darn it if both his voice and kid aren't adorable. Whereas Nicholas' stuff was bizarrely too intimate. I don't want to see you actually breakdown in the middle of a performance or watch your wife get an ultrasound. TMI, producers. Stand up, Nicholas. Playing soccer with your kid you call "squirrel"=voter bait, ultrasound jelly=gross.

Blake knows how to make his guys really likable. He comes across as a sweet funny genuine guy and somehow manages to spread that down to earth awesomeness to his team. And Terry is really funny, in promos, behind the scenes clips ("I knew it, I knew I'd get a kiss!"), on stage (Cassadee bopping his nose, seriously!). Cassasdee looks like the real deal, but I'm not her target market. So, it's Terry. I know he's not gonna win, but I'm voting just in case. He's been so consistent, it is hard to notice how much he's improved. Cass started out pretty shaky, so hers was more noticeable. Both of them are doing such a good job. I'm glad they are in the finals. At least I get another week of listening to Terry sing (plus I've got the Driveblind and Lotus Crush albums to keep me going). I hope he gets a deal and makes new music soon enough to not loose the Voice bump.
Yep, that is all we need is yet another girly pop singer. I am hoping Terry wins (but I know he won't), I know people don't like his throwback song choices but he has an INCREDIBLE rock voice. In today's pop and hip hop music, you don't get to hear good Rock and Roll anymore. Just because he does not sing "current" music doesn't mean he isn't a good singer, it means he knows what he is good at and sings it. I am still upset about Trevin leaving, I was rooting for him all along too. As for Nicholas, he is awesome... he reminds me so much of Joe Cocker. I have said that all along.