The Voice: The Country Badass Has Left the Building

The Voice S02E15: "Live Eliminations"

Jermaine Paul and Chris Martin were this week's insta-saves. I know, I was shocked too. I think America and I are sharing the same hivemind. It’s so warm and inclusive here; we should invite Carson Daly over to hang out because he spent most of tonight looking like the will to live has been sucked out of him through a bendy straw.

As the teams get smaller, more and more time is being filled by “surprise” guests. Tonight, those guests were The Wanted, a boy band from the UK that made me applaud just because the state of today’s tweens and their apparent lack of a Nick Carter-esque messiah made me sad for them. Really, it’s nice to see the boy band making a comeback. And while I don’t see the appeal of The Wanted outside of the fact that they are attractive and non-threatening “rock stars” that parents don’t mind letting their fifth graders lust after, I have to commend them for their good haircuts. Justin Timberlake may repeatedly bring sexy back, but every time I see a picture of his blindingly bleached late-'90s perm, I laugh. And then I cry, because somewhere in 1998, my fifth-grade self has his picture in her locker and has probably drawn hearts around it with a pink glitter gel pen.

Also “surprising” us with an appearance tonight was Justin Bieber. Something about his new video. It all became white noise up until the Bieber called Carson “brah,” at which point The Boyfriend jarred me from my reverie by questioning Bieber’s usage of the term. “Did he just say ‘brah?’”

“Justin Bieber is totally street. Look at him. Totally hardened by life.”

Oh, and he’s performing on The Voice’s finale in a few weeks. My life is complete(ly sad).

Ashley de la Rosa and Lindsey Pavao of Team Christina competed for redemption. Christina addressed the controversy surrounding her decision to dump Jesse Campbell on Monday by basically telling everyone to screw off. I love how butthurt the judges get when America disagrees with them. I really do. It’s like watching children sulk.

Ashley’s Lady Gaga cover was weak. She seemed to have a hard time finding a tempo. I was bummed by the lackluster performance because Ashley has been consistently awesome in the past, a trait that Adam and Blake both touched on in their assessments of her performance.

Lindsey sang “Please Don’t Go” and it was quiet and pretty and stable, but lacked any real stand-out moments. It was okay. If we're looking at her performance and Ashley’s performance as existing in a vacuum, then Lindsey was the stronger performer. But I thought Ashley’s previous kickassery would gain her some favor that might overshadow her blah rendition of “You and I.”

I was wrong. Christina chose to keep Lindsey, crying so hard through the decision-making process that I thought for sure her make-up was going to end up EVERYWHERE, but apparently that stuff is cemented to her face.

Next up, Raelynn and Erin Willett of Team Blake faced off for his favor. Erin went first, totally kicking Creedence Clearwater Revival’s “Proud Mary” in the pants with awesome. You see? You see what a difference an Adele-free performance makes?

I was worried, though, because Erin may have been awesome, but Raelynn is a country badass, and sometimes that’s hard to compete with.

Raelynn attempted to soften her edges tonight with “If I Die Young” by The Band Perry. I was oddly excited about this performance because I like The Band Perry, and I like “If I Die Young,” mostly for the Tennyson allusions in the music video. I was also legitimately curious about what Raelynn would sound like when she tried for “pretty” rather than “badass.”

Adam said that if he had been Raelynn’s coach he would have had her tone down some of her inflection, which is definitely the nicest way I can think of to say “Get your twang under control.” A good chunk of Raelynn’s problem could be solved by a diction coach.

We almost ran out of time, with the credits rolling before Blake even started explaining himself. Carson did his “Oh-my-God-guys-we-have-to-finish-this-NOW-or-we’ll-get-in-trouble!” dance/pissy sulking-on-stage routine. Everyone ignored him. Carson is the C-3P0 of The Voice—Blake is Han Solo, Adam is Obi-Wan Kenobi, Cee Lo is Lando Calrissian (Cloud City Lando, with the sweet cape, not Rebel Alliance Lando with the boring uniform), and while it kills me to put Christina in the same league as Carrie Fisher, we don’t have a lot to work with here, so I guess she gets to be Leia Organa. Or Oola, the green chick who got eaten by Jabba’s pet Rancor in Jedi.

ANYWAY, time was of the essence, and Christina had soaked up most of the real estate blathering about how in a perfect world she could have Ashley AND Lindsey. So without much pomp and pageantry, Blake chose Erin Willett over Raelynn.

Next week, we do it all over again with Team Cee Lo and Team Adam.

Are we excited? How do we feel about the outcome of tonight’s eliminations?

two really dumb decisions...at least from a business perspective
I didn't watch the result show because after the performance show with the surprise elimination, I found it really useless. Why would they choose to eliminate contestants they saved without giving them the chance to get the votes from the viewers. It just doesn't make sense. They are dropping so many contestants in a week that there is no progress or growth. I'm happy Lindsey was safe though.
They really need to tell Christina to stop talking for so damn long. It takes her the entire show to say what she feels, and it leaves all of 10 seconds for Blake to say anything. She really needs to learn to shut up.
I think i've had my quotient of Christina...it's time for her to leave the show
I was pretty shocked Raelynn went home as well. As was I think Raelynn. I don't think she had even the slightest hint that Blake would take anyone else. But her ballad was horrible. She needs work and I have no doubt that she will be a huge country star. But she needs to work more on her twang consistently or work on her real voice. Because she slipped into and out of it too much last night.

I am no shocked however Lindsay was saved. Despite her just not being up to par with the rest of the semi finalists. But it kind of ensures that Chris will be in the finals.

However I still maintain that the only one that has a chance at anything after the show is Juliet.
I agree that Maroon 5 took the show from the other night:)

I was surprised that Raelynn went home, but I agree with the decision. She is very "stuck" in her twang and it gets on my nerves. I love the song she chose but the way she sang it made me not like it. Erin kicked butt. She has power in her voice and an also pull off more subtle, gentler parts as well. I was super shocked that Chris Mann was who America chose to save. He has a good voice but I have always liked Ashley's energy and Lindsey's creepy voice better. Christina had a tough decision as to who to save and I knew as soon as Chris was saved by voters that I would not be happy with whoever got sent home on her team.

I am looking forward to next week though...although I admit mostly cuz of Juliet Simms. That girl is awesome.
I'd also like to add, the person who does Christina's makeup, should win awards. Her eyes are works of art.
I was on the fence about Lindsey until last night, when she made me cry. Up until last night I had Ashley pegged to win because she has gotten better with every song and I rather liked her last night, but she has never moved me to tears so I can understand Christina's decision if she felt the way I did. But I expect to hear Ashley again real soon on the radio. She has so much talent and is beautiful too.

I had expected Rae Lynn to be the choice just because shes different and has a huge following and I cant help but smile when I see her perky face. She was lovely again last night but Erin took a chance and it worked out for her. I admire Erin for her drive, her strong voice and her strength. I think she was also a good choice and Rae Lynn will get snatched up by a producer in no time as well.

LOL your star wars/the voice comparisons complete me and I totally agree...especially with cee lo as a cape wearing lando calrissian!

I'm happy about Raelynn...her pronunciation of vowels is a little too much for me LOL

And I have a soft spot for Lindsay so I'm happy about her staying too...but she has been really lacklustre since her first performance and needs to pick better songs though I love her voice

i don't really like any of the contestants... maybe i keep watching to see blake and adam cuz those two are hilarious...

hated erin's last night's performance and tonight's was ok but raelynn sucked big time tonight (and i used to like her)...

i guess the best thing after all was maroon 5's performance last night ;)