The Voice: Three Men and a Lady

The Voice S02E19: “Live Semi-Final Eliminations”

Without any redemption performances to get through, The Voice had to find another new way to fill its hour-long results show. This week, the show did so by inviting the top four performers from last year’s competition—Dia Frampton, Vicci Martinez, Beverly McClellan, and Javier Colon—to sing. Their performances served to prove a point Adam made during his group hug consolation speech, “It’s not about winning The Voice, it’s about using it as a launch pad.”

Shows like The Voice, American Idol, and The X-Factor are excellent jumping-off points for relatively unknown artists, and for many of the musicians who grace those stages, “losing” the game is by no means indicative of a disappointing career. Katharine McPhee was an Idol runner up and now she has a starring role on Smash. Getting booted from The Voice this late in the competition may be disappointing to the four contestants we bid goodbye to tonight, but I’m sure we’ll hear more from them in the future. A lot of real talent left The Voice tonight, but a lot stayed behind too.

Team Christina: Chris Mann vs. Lindsey Pavao

Christina split her votes evenly between her two contestants, rationalizing that the two performances were so different that she would let America decide. America chose Chris Mann.

Team Adam: Tony Lucca vs. Katrina Parker

Adam was a little more decisive when it came time to spread his points around, giving Tony Lucca 60 and Katrina Parker 40. He was quick to dive into the aforementioned speech and defended his decision by claiming to have a better connection with Tony. America also voted for Tony.

Team Blake: Erin Willett vs. Jermaine Paul

Like Christina, Blake divided his points evenly and stated outright that he didn’t want to be a part of the decision-making process anymore, “It’s America’s turn.” America went with Jermaine, which, on a side note, was the only result that genuinely shocked me. I just never thought he had a big, epic, standout moment, though his consistency certainly counts for something.

Team Cee Lo: Juliet Simms vs. Jamar Rogers

Cee Lo split his votes 60/40, giving the larger chunk to Juliet Simms. He stood by his decision with the argument that her performance was beautiful and strong and while Jamar was consistently the frontrunner on his team, last night’s performance was lacking that indefinable something that, by contrast, made Juliet’s so awesome. America overwhelmingly agreed, almost doubling her lead over Jamar.

With no more redemptions on the table, all votes were final, so our A-team heading into next Monday’s final round consists of Chris Mann, Tony Lucca, Jermaine Paul, and Juliet Simms.

Do you think it's the right final four?

Wasn't feeling this season too much. Last season had better talent and anyone I actually liked only ended up getting the boot. Now that Jamar is gone, there's no point in watching the finale. I'm sure Juliette will probably win.
Katrina was robbed, but Juliette is by far the best anyway. It isn't even a competition.
I have no issues with the final contestants. Lucca is a better performer, he just is. He is more marketable. As are all of the finalists save for Chris Mann. But given that his competition was Lindsey there was little choice for the nation. Singing Bon Iver isn't going to inspire the nation to vote for you. There aren't enough hipsters for that, and they don't vote. Jermaine was a better choice because he was consistent throughout the show. And Juliet is just good.

In a perfect world or even a better format for the competition it would have been between Juliet and Jamar for the finals. But that isn't the way the competition goes. So this is what we have.

I still call Juliet as the winner.
Adam didn't 'rob' Katrina, he actually did what he was suppose to do. He gave more points to the person he felt had a better performance. I'm not a fan of the 50/50 split. It's a cop out in my opinion. I love the fact that this show melds the choices of the coaches and America together. Let's face it, sometimes America makes horrible choices.
I don't agree. Cee Lo did what he was supposed to do. He judged based off their performances and gave critical feed back based on what he saw which was feed back saying it did not translate as well. Adam was just picking favourites and if he was doing his job as a coach he shouldn't be able to choose because he should be just invested in his team. They made it all the way to the end.

At this point the audience is the true test if they will support the performer or not. If the audience is choosing Katrina, he did rob her. Just because your opinion strays from yours does not mean America is wrong on that one.
I liked both Katrina and Tony. I support Adam's decision to go with Tony, because his is more of an artist than a singer (vocalist, if you will). I was actually glad he got to the finals, because I don't think he's been name dropping and the MMC references were made by the production of the show. On the interviews they kept asking him about it. What was he supposed to do? Refuse to answer?. Since the beginning, all he ever said was that he actually wanted to get pass it and be only Tony Lucca. I think Xtina was VERY rude to him the entire show and the fact he is in the finals is a slap in her face, and she deserves it. And by the way, he's choice to perform the Britney song was a dig at her and not name dropping!! I don't think he will win, though. Juliet is going to win, for sure. The only way she doesn't win is if her performance is horrible, which I doubt it will be. That girl can connected with whatever she's singing. Absolutely amazing!!
I LOVE Katrina, but Lucca was soooo good and that's why i agree 101% with adam... but if katrina gets a record deal, i'll def buy her album cuz she's too good!...

team ceelo is so weak and i hope he doesn't win... he seems to always be making the wrong choice... and at first i liked juliet but she screams too much..

and why is xtina so bitchy on the performance night every week???
Team Cee Lo was completely stronger than Adams team... well other than Erin Martin (man she was really annoying) and James was a too much of a teeny bopper squeeze.

Juliet is awesome, been a fan of hers for 3 years now
As others have mentioned, Katrina was the one to earn America's vote last night so it's incredibly disappointing that Adam decided to tip the scale in Tony's favor.

Do I think it's the right final four? No. Both Juliet and Jamar should have been in the final four but due to the show's silly structure only one could move forward, which is a shame. Ironically, Jamar was the best male vocalist/performer left and the only one of the four men who didn't make it! What a joke! In my opinion Lyndsey and Katrina are far more interesting artists than their teammates and they should have been the ones to move on. But yeah, Adam robbed poor Katrina of what was rightfully hers. The ONE time she actually had America's vote. What a tragedy...

I'm rooting for Juliet to take the whole thing. Her performance this week was spectacular.
America voted 52-48 for Katrina. It was kinda sad because it was the first time ever that America picked her.
Katrina actually got America's vote, Adam screwed her. And I love her voice so I was really disappointed...if only it was 50/50. I love Juliet and I'm happy she got through but I'm so sad to see Jamar go :( If only we could take the spot of another contestant and give it to Jamar...

Jermaine winning was predictable. I'm really disappointed about Lindsey though since I love her voice and she had a strong performance and the numbers were so close. It surprised me that Christina didn't give her a little boost since Lindsey's been her favourite this whole time.
If you look at the numbers, if Adam had done 50/50, Katrina would have won. Tony just barely won with Americas votes. The biggest sham is both Jamar and Juliet couldn't have stayed.
Katrina got robbed by Adam Levine...such a shame!!

3/4 right, but Katrina was my favourite, so it's spoiled now...

still can't believe it...
I agree - in spite of Tony's huge celebrity fan base, Katrina beat him with America's pick! The fact that she came up from no where - and surpassed a fan favorite and celebrity favorite - I don't think Adam expected that. Some might say it was only by four points that she beat Tony with the fans votes - but those four points are a lot considering, like I said, Tony's huge fan base. Adam made a huge mistake. This will cost him.

• 8:00 pm