The Voice Weekly Wrap-up and Top 4 Power Rankings: R.I.P., Team Adam

Another week, another team falls to the new elimination rules. Bye bye, Team Adam. I’ll miss you. Well, I’ll miss half of you. After briefly revelling in network talent show glory with “Hit the Road, Jack” a few weeks ago, Melanie Martinez seemed hellbent on returning to her immobile and inaudible roots with a string of mostly forgettable performances aimed at the indie-snob demographic that would probably rather set themselves on fire than indulge in The Voice.

Amanda Brown, however, was robbed, and the only thing holding me back from an impassioned rant against the voting public is the fact that at least Team Weird Beard is still going strong. I have absolutely no explanation for Nicholas David’s continued success except that I’m a cynical bastard who is accustomed to the singers I like never making it to the finals. Is this what being on a (potentially) winning team feels like? It’s strange and tingly, kind of like when your foot falls asleep. I’m not sure that I enjoy it and it I feel like if I try to get used to it, I’ll just be setting myself up for disappointment next season when we start this insanity over again.

Still, Go Team Weird Beard! Also, Go Team-Anybody-But-Cassadee-Pope-Because-I’m-So-Sick-Of-Ex-Warped-Tour-Musicians-Coming-On-This-Show-to-Whine-About-How-Disappointing-Their-Careers-Are.

Here are our top 4 heading into the finals:

4. Trevin Hunte – Team Cee Lo

Hunte’s “Walkin’ on Sunshine” was underwhelming, but his “I’m Telling You” reminded us of why he’s made it as far as he has in this competition. It all comes down to song choice with him. He tends to give his best performances with classics and ballads, but I understand the appeal of doing more up-tempo stuff. Unfortunately, his fumbles with the faster songs could easily land him in the bottom slot next week.

3. Nicholas David – Team Cee Lo

Both Christina and Adam wanted the elusive “more” from David during the chorus of Earth, Wind and Fire’s “September” while Blake remarked that, thanks to David’s annunciation, he finally knows what the actual lyrics to the song are. They were all correct. “September” maintained Nicholas David’s status quo; it was a solid, but sort of predictable, performance of his signature “baby-makin’ music.” However, his cover of “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” was easily my favorite of the entire evening. Can I get that on vinyl please, kthnx?

2. Cassadee Pope – Team Blake

Ironically, it was the country song that Coach Blake handed to Pope that made her fret and get all angsty because as we all know, country music is a super obscure and difficult genre of music to sing (or so every freaking contestant and judge on The Voice would have you believe)... and Pope rocked the pants off of it. Of course, Rascal Flatts is pretty much the poppiest country group ever, but regardless, her cover of “Stand” was one of the strongest performances of the night. Her tired and painfully predictable Avril Lavigne cover, however, seemed warbly.

1. Terry McDermott – Team Blake

McDermott pretty much does the same thing every time he’s on the stage (unless he’s being force-fed country tunes by his country-fried coach) but the thing is, he does what he does well. His harmonies on “I Wanna Know What Love Is” were lovely and his cover of “Stay with Me” was energetic and fun and flawless. He stayed far away from his weaker low register this week and it was a strong decision.

QUESTIONS:

1. How would you rank the top 4?

2. Were you sad to see Amanda Brown and Melanie Martinez go?

3. Was Christina Aguilera not TOTALLY wearing a wig?

4. Speaking of Xtina, did anyone else find her deliberate avoidance of complementing Melanie Martinez, coupled with her excessive praise of whoever designs The Voice’s sets, to be kind of rude? I’m sure that the behind-the-scenes people probably don’t get the credit that they’re due, but at the same time, given that the strongest thing about most of Martinez’s recent performances has been the sets, it just seemed kind of dickish to point out, “Blah blah blah musically I wanted more but OMG THAT SET DESIGN WAS BEAUTIFUL TOO BAD IT WASN’T YOUR IDEA LOL *evil cackle*”

Kinda sad how they've manipulated Cassadee into being the front runner when she is just not very good. Her voice is weak and she sings through her nose, which is the mark of a lazy artist. (IMHO). She's almost always given a spot near the end of the show, so her performance is fresher and Xtina adores her because she's just as empty. I guess they're looking for a good pop puppet and Pope fits the bill: She'll sing what she's told, wear what she's told, and perform how she's told and that's what they want. I'm shocked at her fan base, but maybe music really is dead. When your cover of Avril makes me think "not as good as Avril" (who I enjoyed, but was not a GREAT musical talent) you just plain don't have it.

I want David to win, but brother is in the wrong century for this. Sure, I can see a great LP from him and an awesome concert at the Palace (...Air Supply!...with special guest Nicholas David!). But in 2012? When Bieber and One Direction are huge artists? David has the crazy hair, may as well start working on that time machine.
Amanda has a great voice, but she's really not a very interesting artist. She never had any real vision of herself besides I want to be a rocker chick. But wanting to be a rocker chick and being a rocker chick are not the same thing, and I'm sorry, but girl is not rock and roll by any means. (Of course, neither is Adam Levine, and he seems to think he is...) I'm hoping Terry wins. He's got pipes, man. Also, I thought it was kind of funny how obviously Christina hated Melanie. Extremely rude, but also pretty amusing how up front she was about it. Because no one is ever that obvious about hatred on these sorts of shows.
Yayzers, my top 4! Well Melanie and Nicholas were battling for 4th but I'm super happy with this and will actually enjoy any of them winning. Right now, I'm leaning more towards seeing Terry as winner but I'd plunk down money on any of them.
Have to add in reply to question #4 - yes, Christina was totally rude! One thing I love about the Voice is that they don't go out of their way to tear down another person, they always find the good in the performance but she has total issues against Melanie. And not even asking if the sets were her/Adam's ideas before crowing about the obscure set designer was just plain rude!
why all the hate towards cassadee?

1. cassadee > terry > nicholas > trevin
2. yes, sad to see amanda go.. but not melanie.
Can't stand any of the final 4 - wish Cody Belew, Amanda Brown and Melanie Martinez were still in it
so sad. amanda my darling angel who rocked everythinhg from adele to aerosmith, will miss you
I was shocked and angered by last night's results. I both thought and hoped that it would be Terry and Nicholas would go home. When they announced that Terry was safe, I then was nervous because I knew that one of Team Adam's people would go home, because Trevin and Cassadee are very good huge favourites. I was unsure which of Adam's contestants would go home, because Melanie, in my oppinion, had done better this week, and she had been in the Top 10 on iTunes when Amanda wasn't, but, on the other hand, Amanda I thought was better overall and had a huge fan base. I was so sure that Nicholas would go home! But he didn't!!! This makes the final two even more obvious, Trevin and Cassadee. Trevin was the favourite, until recently when Cassadee increased in popularity. I will be very angry if Terry of Nicholas is in the Top 2, especially Nicholas.
Amanda was the most consistently amazing of anyone the whole season
GET CASSADEE OFF THIS SHOW
i've been getting sad bout the eliminations since top 10 i guess cuz they are all so good! it's like one of the coaches said: there were 6 winners on stage...

i did agree with xtina's comments tho cuz melanie was boring... she was always doing the same thing every week so i didn't care about her anymore even tho i like her... but her stage on that lenka song was cute
Amanda was robbed. She has the most range of the 6. But she sang actual songs rather than the crap that Trevin and Cassadee sing. To say that Cassadee is better than Amanda is an affront to good music everywhere.

Questions.
At this point I am for Terry, then Nicholas. Those are the only two left I would actually buy a song from. Terry is fun and I like him. Nicholas is talented, but he will only be a niche singer. I love me some soul music and he has the skill to produce a great album. But it will never take on widely. I can't stand Cassadee's song choice and would never buy an Album from Trevin.

Not sad. Melanie was going to go. If she released a good jazz type album I would buy it. I would buy an Amanda album if she sang rock. But she will likely just be produced as a R&B singer. But she was probably the best and most consistent of all of them.

I can't stand that woman. She is as 1 dimensional as they come. I was very much wishing Mel would have said before Christina even opened her pie hole, that she was glad for the set design. Christina is a great singer. But if it is music she doesn't understand or get, she disregards it. I really am glad that she isn't going to be back.
I was pretty sure Melanie was a goner after Monday's performances. I actually liked her rendition of Crazy, but loathed Adam's pick of that other song. Serious misstep by a coach and I think it cost her a chance in the final four. I really liked the version of Fiona Apple's Criminal that she did on Tuesday with Nicholas; why didn't Adam pick something more like that? She's not the cutesy girl that his pick was trying to show and that's why it didn't work.

But I was surprised that Terry made it through over Amanda. I'm sure she'll land on her feet (and I think shows like American Idol have demonstrated that the winner of the show isn't always the winner on the charts), but I do think she deserved to stay on to the final showdown. Think her vs. Trevin would have made for an excellent finale.

I loathe the song Over the Rainbow, so the fact that I didn't fast forward through Nicholas's rendition pretty much speaks for itself. I'm fascinated by his continued success and wouldn't even be mad if he won because that would be such a great story about how true singing ability won over everything.

Trevin's And I Am Telling You was ridiculous. So good.

So, I guess my top 4 rankings would be:
Trevin
Nicholas
Cassadee (though I totally agree that people who have already found success kind of grate on me that they're getting this giant second chance)
Terry

Is anyone else kind of exhausted by how long this has gone on? Are there still really two weeks left?

I'm pretty sad about Amanda being gone. I was ready for Trevin to go, until he sang And I am Telling you. It made me spontaneously cry. I guess of my personal top 2, Terry for the win.
I wasn't a fan of Amanda at the beginning, but she grew on me. She finally became my favorite on the show and then she got knocked off. The decision America had to make for the final 4 was a tough one. I love Melanie because she is so unique and cute in a weird way, but I agreed she should have went. But Amanda was a wrong choice. She has been consistently strong and has not had a weak performance. Some of the other singers left had some amazing performances, but also showed many weaknesses and occasionally had weak ones. Amanda's ability to move, sing and smile at the same time set her above everyone else.

Cassadee was my favorite since she sang the song Blake co-wrote, but she is getting boring (even though I would love her to sing an Alanis Morrisette song!). But, I can see her as the winner.

Nicholas is very unique and I enjoy listening to him sing. I enjoy music from the 70's and I think he would be a star if we were living in those times. It's 2012 though.

Terry is a small little dude with a big clear voice. It looks like he isn't even trying when he sings. I thought he was a for-sure thing at the beginning, but I am growing bored of him as well.

Trevin has some inconsistencies while trying out different types of music. It's nice to see his confidence grow as he has had some fantastics moments on this show. I am always interested to see what he brings.

So my 4 rankings are: Cassadee>Trevin>Terry>Nicholas

I will miss you Amanda!
can't possibly see how Terry could be making you bored but okay.
He's just a good singer. He's not very unique. I think of Terry as someone who can walk into a karaoke bar and make all the drunk people stand up and cheer for him. He's an amazing cover artist, but I feel he's not an amazing original artist. Just my opinion...but he is not winning The Voice.
Staff
I'm fascinated by Nicholas' continued success. Like you said, if this was the 70s, he'd be huge. He's awesome and I totally dig him and I am THRILLED that he's still in the competition, but I don't know HOW that happened.
Okay, I just found out that Nicholas is 32. He wasn't even alive in the 70s. Wow. *The more you know*
I thought the same thing at first. Actually though, Terry isn't tiny. It upset my world. But he's 6'1".
Really? Must be the hobbit look - I was deceived!
I feel ya! It tricked me too. He has a little face and likes to sing on his tiptoes. Plus, Blake is super tall, so he makes everyone look itty bitty. And the girls are wearing like 3-5" heels. I only figured it out this week.
I dont understand why you hate Cassadee so much. That being said. Nicholas totally reminds me of a certain american idol winner that did nothing after he won. Taylor Hicks anyone? Anyways....

1. Cassadee>Terry>Trevin>Nicholas

2. I was shocked Amanda went home. I agree Trevin or Nicholas should of went home instead.

3. yes

4. To be honest, I was fast forwarding to much to listen. So I missed that part.
Hate would be a too strong a word but I surely can't stand her. Still searching for the feeling in her voice that Blake is constantly praising (is he getting old, does he need a hearing aid?). For me, she just transports the feeling of fingernails grazing over a chalkboard, she's like a soulless puppet on the stage. Ms. Pope is just another meaningless pretty face which would look good on MTV but is absolutely not THE VOICE.

1. My Ranking: Nicholas >> Trevin >> Terry >> Amanda (sadly she is gone)

2. I won't miss Melanie, I'm not into indie stuff but I'm sad that Amanda had to go.

3. It was more obvious with the pink one but yeah, Christina wore a wig. Bad hair day? ^^

4. And isn't Christina constantly rude since she has no one left of her team? On the last show I wanted to slap her a couple of times. Good, that Carson did leave her out in the comments section a few times. She should pull herself together, I think she still gets paid for appearing on that show. In the real world that kind of behavior would get her fired as an employee. >.<
More +
Well I was very surprised to see Melanie go I was convinced her popularity would soar her into the final four. Not harping on the girl but I think she was the weakest left in the completion and last night did nothing to change my mind, although I liked her doing Criminal. Maybe Christina’s onto something their. I was pretty sad to see Amanda go, along with Terry I’d say she has been the most consistent one in the competition I guess it came down to popularity between her and Nicholas which I understand but I would have rather seen her stay.
Top Four Rankings:
Terry: My boy killed it this week he did everything he needed to do to survive and continues to be the most consistent competitor in the competition. I Want to Know What Love is was definitely Terry’s strongest of the show and he did exactly what he needed to picked a smart popular song even though it was dated he made it sound relevant. With Stay with Me it was typical kick ass Terry he really does Rod Stewart and Paul McCartney songs well. I’d still like to see him do a Beatles tune next week.
Trevin: I think this basically comes down to this week Trevin killed it with and I’m telling you even though I’m ridiculously sick of the song in sinning competitions. Walking on Sunshine was just okay. I don’t know what else he can do to top his previous ballad success but he is getting a bit stale on me.
Cassadee: It’s not that I hate her I actually like her a lot I just didn’t really care for either of the songs she chose this week. I even said it last week that I was glad she stayed away from Avril but then she went right back to her. I’d like her to pick something different and a little grittier. I know she will win the competition and probably have the best success of any Voice contestant so far she’s got the talent and has a real knock for putting out chart topping numbers all she needs is a good producer and she will be gold.
Nicholas – His first song was pretty unforgettable and I basically was about to count him out because all the other performances were so good last night but he closed it out with a very smart song choice in Over the Rainbow. He sang it beautifully as well. I really liked his singing in Criminal as well and would like to see him maybe hit a grittier soul song next week.
Staff
Over the Rainbow was fantastic. I think going grittier would serve him (and Cassadee) well. They're both kind of getting stuck in the "baby making music" and "Avril Lavigne clone" traps at this point.
I think Christina was trying to find something nice to say without hurting her feelings.I think she could have said more, but Blake took the wind out of Melanie's sails and so she talked about the set (she did give her good critique on the first song though). I think she was all around very positive and encouraging last night.
OMG! This is the first time I've agreed with your rankings (except I do like Terry singing low, I pretty much like Terry singing anything at all--I think I might really miss rock music of any kind :( ). I think Cassadee is gonna win it all though--I grew out of my Avril phase, but not everyone has. She's improved tons and tons, she is pretty and approachable, and confident on stage. I wasn't impressed with her until her first live performance with a guitar and she threw out her pick to the audience like it was second nature and not at all staged. She hooked me with that, and there is a huge place in pop music for her.

That said, I am all about an All Team Blake finale. Ceelo annoyed me with his comments about being the best coach because he turned for all these artists that nobody else did. I mean some of their auditions were horrible and Ceelo was turning for pretty much anybody at that point. I mean by the time Cody auditioned Ceelo was the only one with a spot left, so it doesn't mean that much.

1. Terry, Nicholas/Cassadee (I go back and forth), Trevin
2. I wasn't sad to see them go. Melanie's one intensity thing bored me. And she was such a brat about Adam's song choice that I was peeved. Respect your coach, kid. Adam is good at strategy, until people stop listening to him. This is a competition, you can't phone in performances and expect to make it through. Amanda could sing a lot of different ways (sometimes she'd try out two or three tones in the same song), so she needs a break to figure out who she is and what her vocal point of view is.
3. Sigh. Christina, your fashion sense is "unique."
4. I think Xtina was following the if you can't say something nice about the vocals, find something else to compliment. Melanie was awful on both songs, her pitch was all over the place, and she didn't look like she even wanted to be there (letting stagehands upstage you? please girl and those American Horror Story mannequins was just weird but still more interesting than lullaby baby). I think Christina is self-indulgent and absurd and often silly, but that doesn't mean she is wrong, just that I don't like hearing her.
Staff
Sometimes I'm more excited about what Christina is going to have on her head at any given time than the actual performances. I don't know that anything will ever top the rhinestone showerhead from last season though. That thing was amazing.

The mannequins were sooo weird. It just seemed like for as cool as both sets were, they seemed to just accentuate the fact that she never moved and seemed to have all the energy of a lethargic snail while performing, especially the second set, where the stage crew looked like they were having way more fun than she was.
I liked the crown/teased perm with pink streaks look from one of her performances because it was absurd and then she combined it with warmup clothes and a ripped neck shirt for the rest of the show. It was awesome!

At first I felt bad that she didn't connect with the song and Adam didn't pick up on it in rehearsals, but then I came around to it was a brilliant song choice for her persona (instead of being a goth Stockard Channing doll) and she really needed to suck it up and get on board. Labels are going to craft her too and if she can't deal, they'll dump her for the next indie voice in line--it's not like we haven't seen several of her on the Voice already in the last 3 seasons.
1. Trevin is the weakest link, imo. I really thought Amanda should have stayed, and Trevin should have gone. But what can ya do? Nicholas David is the next weakest. I know you're a fan, but he has the same issues that Melanie has, imo. He does the same thing over and over again. Plus, I just don't enjoy watching him. He makes funky facial expressions. There, I said it. I'm shallow. Next two are Terry and Cassadee... tied, I'd say, just because how awesome they both are. I know you hate Cassadee, but I think she's proven herself time and time again. And Terry's ballad? Gorgeous.

Also, Terry admitted to choosing the country song HIMSELF, so, uh, where are you getting the fact that Blake force fed it to him? Oh, it's because Blake is country, right? o.O Need I remind you that he won with Jermaine last year, an R&B singer? I get so tired of having to remind people of that fact, that Blake looooves country music so damn much, but he knows how to coach beyond that.

2. Yes, to Amanda. No, to Melanie... just because Melanie looked SO unhappy the entire time she sang Adam's song, and it was the perfect song for her, and she should have embraced it fully, imo. I'm not a fan of Amanda, though. I just think she's better than Trevin (and Nicholas, honestly).

3. She was.

4. She does that sort of underhanded insult/compliments all the time. I find all of them rude. Just say what you mean or say a believable lie. Don't avoid commenting on an artist's performance all together.
Staff
Trevin is just so inconsistent. He's either awesome or terrible. I agree that Nicholas David is starting to have issues with repetitiveness. I actually didn't care much for his "September" cover, but "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" blew me away. I like him and I'm rooting for him, but that's mostly just because he's so different from the singers we usually have left at this point in the competition.

I missed that Terry picked the song himself. I think it would have served those of us who had to take notes on this whole thing if The Voice could have done all of the coach's picks together and all of the singer's picks together. Still, Blake has made it no secret that up until he lost all his country singers, his team was very much "the country team" and the number of Blake and Miranda songs that his team has covered, regardless of who picked them, is kind of ridiculous.

Amanda has obviously been The One Voice of this season!!! I am still shocked, mad and sad in the same time that I won't get to see her blow away the stage and the other contestants again next week!