The Voice's Season 3 Finale: Surprise, Surprise...

After the four-hour finale-fest, which featured maaaaybe forty minutes of actual relevant content tops (way to milk those cheap production costs, NBC), the winner of The Voice's third season was finally crowned and that winner was Team Blake’s Cassadee Pope. I’m sure we were all very surprised.

Not.

But despite the disappointing predictability of the final rounds—due largely to the rule where new iTunes sales = infinity points—I have to say, I liked the new approach for the purity of competition that it allowed. You know, outside of the iTunes problem which I hope will be refined when The Voice returns in March (though I doubt it will be). Bland, pretty Cassadee Pope is being hailed as The Voice’s Kelly Clarkson, and given her already present fanbase from the Hey Monday days combined with new recruits from The Voice, Pope stands poised to be the first winner of The Voice who we don’t forget about in two weeks. Way back in the beginning of the season, I predicted a Trevin Hunte/Amanda Brown showdown and maybe if we were playing by the old rules, it would have happened, but the lack of judge interference after the Knockout rounds and the cutthroat eliminations of the bottom two contestants, regardless of whose team they sang for, turned the subsequent live rounds into a true competition. Terry McDermott, Nicholas David, and Cassadee Pope were not simply the best singers on their respective teams—they were the best of the show's best PERIOD, as judged by America.

So as underwhelmed as I personally am with the outcome, I can’t fault Cassadee Pope for tapping into whatever it is that the legions of voters want in their champion... and okay, fine, her “Over You” cover was really quite fabulous and pretty much the only repeat performance of the night that I didn’t mind experiencing again.

That dress looks like it weighed a ton.

Team Weird Beard, Nicholas David, of Team Cee Lo, took the third-place spot and Scottish rocker Terry McDermott placed second, providing coach Blake Shelton with enough bragging rights to last him well into the new year and the new spring season, though my biggest concern heading into March is definitely whether Xtina’s replacement, Shakira, can carry on her fine tradition of wearing cheap wigs and increasingly batshit crazy costumes week after week.

But really, NBC, was four hours really necessary? I realize that everything is on hiatus right now, but isn’t there some sort of cheesy holiday special ya’ll could have dug up? With performances by an endless parade of former contestants, and established artists like Rihanna, The Killers, Smokey Robinson, Avril Lavigne, Kelly Clarkson, Peter Frampton, and Bruno Mars, AND an (admittedly enjoyable) collaboration on “Good Riddance” from our four judges, I was concerned that it would never end. We get it, NBC, The Voice is your shiny new ratings powerhouse, but a little self control would be nice. I recently perfected a mocha cupcake recipe and there are two dozen little cups of deliciousness just hanging out in my fridge saying, “Eat me! Eaaat me!” but if I eat all of them, I’ll probably hurl and even though they’ve been a huge hit at my significant other’s office and with my bar trivia team, if I ONLY made mocha cupcakes from now on, people would eventually get sick of them. Four hours of reality TV doesn’t have to be four hours of fluff... like this amazing trainwreck:

I have no words, other than LOL WUT.

All laughing aside, though, Monday’s tribute to the Sandy Hook shooting victims was touching and really quite beautiful in its simplicity and sincerity. Bravo, gang. I really mean that.

And so, Season 3 of The Voice drew to an utterly predictable close, complete with free Kias for our finalists and Cee Lo Green dressed as the funkiest Santa ever. Are you happy with how the finalists ranked? Where did your favorite end up?

Though I agree that this is a predictable win, besides the fact that I like Cassadee, there's an obvious reason why they chose America as the judge and not to depend everything on the coaches. If you want to sell albums you'd have to go with who the audience wants. In this case America voted for Cassadee. Probably not the best Voice, I admit, but the most likeable. A good marketing strategy. It's TV+Music. It's not the quality they want, it's the gain.
The results were disappointing to say the least. Cassadee Pope is middle of the road, no surprise her hero is Avril Lavigne, who, by the way, needs to grow up and get rid of those hideous raccoon eyes. Early in the competition Cassadee continuously fell off her notes and when she sang Payphone she was terribly flat. Do most Americans have a tin ear?? She did improve greatly throughout the competition after that mess, but she is still not even close to as good as Melanie, Nicholas and Trevin. The winner needs to be decided by the judges, not by the public.
Trevin and Amanda, especially Amanda, are still the best! :)
Congratulations to her, but she was not among my favorites during the show. I sincerely hope that we will be getting records from Trevin, Amanda, Terry and Melanie.
i agree it was too long of a show but i loved every minute of it so i don't mind...
i was in tears with the sandy hook tribute... it was so beautiful and touching, i could only imagine the families that lost their kids watching that...
i loved cassadee since the blind auditions really... i even dled her ep when battle rounds started cuz she makes the type of music i love...
in the beginning, tho, i didnt think she was strong enough to win... only thought she had a chance after her first over you performance cuz that also made me cry...
maybe it's just me but i think she's grown a lot throughout the whole season...
and yeah, kudos to blake!
i think ppl wont really choose xtina anymore during blind auditions...
cant wait for next season cuz i wanna see what shak and usher will be like... loved the preview! =D
You mentioned iTunes. I looked at iTunes Tuesday morning and said to my boyfriend Cassadee is going to win. And I was right. I wanted Terry :( And I'll say this about Blake, he tries not to get in the way of his artists like say Christina did. And then she had no team. It's telling.
After Amanda's elimination, there was no doubt Cassadee would win.
It does help to have a million person fan base BEFORE the show starts.

This season really came down to coaches and timing.
Christina's constant criticism of Amanda not showing her soul was spot on.
As the show progressed, Adam and Amanda were more concerned with putting on a show than making a connection. No matter how well you sing something like "Natural Woman", the audience won't connect with what today feels like a karaoke standard.

The show's producers did everything possible to ensure a "Cassadee" would win, even before Cassadee was on the show. The problem with Javier and Jermaine is that while they are great singers, they don't seem to know who they are as artists. Cassadee may be bland to some, but she can sing AND she knows exactly where she wants to go.

My favorite won.

And I also feel the need to gloat a little with Blake, because Blake has gotten flack all season for his song choices... And which judge ended up with 1st AND 2nd place? Yeah, yeah, he's awesome. I freaking love that guy.

My second favorite got second place.

So, I'm feeling just all around stoked right now, actually. I've also gotten a lot of flack for supporting Team Blake from the beginning from commenters here on the website. I don't mind at all, of course, but I just find it a little satisfying to know that I was right all along.

Also, the iTunes votes bugged me at first... but if you think about it, this is probably the best judge of anything. If people are willing to get their music now, of course they'll actually sell stuff later. Theoretically. So, I no longer make a face when I am reminded of the iTunes vote. Considering that Javier and Jermaine have both kinda disappeared into nowhereville, it's about time The Voice produced a superstar that actually becomes a superstar.

Also... Hallelujah... I cried. Just have to admit it.
I find Cassadee to be really boring and Terry seems very one note. I was hoping Nicholas would take the crown but it was obvious a long time ago that Cassadee would be the last one standing.
I think Cassadee is really driven. She'll do the pop/country thing because being pop/rock wasn't getting her what she wanted. The Voice needs her. They've proven that they can have a music industry talent show that doesn't feel like a talent show for wanna-be's. They've put on some amazing shows, showed their contestants as artists, sold some music. But they haven't figured out what AI knew from the beginning which is how to capitalize on the fleeting instant fame of the format. Idol people have their single out immediately (no matter how vanilla pop it is).

Maybe the iTunes songs from the show will help cover the gap, but the winner (at least) needed to have a radio-ready song today. If Cassadee and Terry and Nicholas don't have a single out by the end of January (?), they will be forgotten and we'll be on to rooting for someone else. Even January might be too late and that is a shame. Maybe it would have been better to have the artists in the studio more in the last two weeks and had fewer performances to wear them out. Or go back to having them do an original song in the finale. I really think the show does a good job and is interesting showing inside the industry stories and maybe working with song writers and getting in the studio is worth showing.
She was the most enjoyable to listen to (and I don't listen to much of that type of music), so that's what matters to me and thus, I'm glad she won. I do, however, think that Amanda Brown and Bryan Keith should have made it farther. I thought Bryan Keith was the best male vocalist on the show this year, so when he got kicked off so early, I was pretty damn surprised.

And yeah, it's always annoying that they drag these finales out.
I couldn't be happier of the final 2. I would be happy with either one of them winning
best finale this year for sure
Provided she doesn't take the annoying road of her apparent hero that is Avril Lavigne. And allows Blake to turn her into a pop/country kind of artist. Then she will do fine. It isn't the kind of music I go for. But I am sure she will be successful.

Plus I think they knew way before hand that it was going to be Cassadee. Milian in her uselessness said on Monday that only Terry and Nicholas were going to be on the after show on tuesday, so I am not sure if that was a slip up or not.
Every time she said that Avril Lavigne was her "hero" I cringed and then laughed. Terry was star-struck by Paul McCartney letting him sing Let It Be and she's all worried about covering Avril Lavigne. I was like, "you're cute, but aim higher, girl."
Indeed. Out of all the singers one could want to emulate. Her? Some people are just strange Isbloom.
I hope that Terry & Nicholas go on and succeed- I would totally want to hear more of their music.

Nicholas is so special And TERRY my season fave all along.... what a precision voice!- a real rock star!

Cassidy is good- but she's cookie cutter- have no idea why ppl would want to hear more of what is already out there
I only watched the last couple of weeks of the Voice and then on Fast Forward and only watching the performances and votes. That being said I am a little disappointed in the outcome. I think that the worst voice of the three remaining won the contest and that's a problem for me. Though the bigger problem is my father saying "It was time for a woman to win." I really hate that mentality and while I know it wasn't his actual feeling on the subject (he was rooting for Terry McDermott) I understand where the actual population of America might agree with such a statement.
While I don't watch the show, I did watch the finale. And I must admit that while the only finalist who looked like a pop star (read pretty) did win, there were lots of attractive people who got voted off. So perhaps you are slightly more about the voice than the other shows. Congratulations on being marginally less shallow than your direct competitors.
Staff
Credit where credit is due. Lol.
Well that ending was about as preditable as you can get. I’m very happy for Cassadee and wish her the best of luck in the future but I was still holding out hope Terry would win. I know he probably won’t have as much success as Cassadee regardless of who won so it would have been cool to see him at least be the winner because I thought he was the better singer but its okay. A few of the highlights for me were Peter Frampton and Terry singing Baby I Love Your Way. The two really blended nicely and the sound was beautiful. I don’t normally call myself a Bruno Mars fan but I got to hand it to him I loved that song he did it was very catchy and he’s got a great voice. I also liked the reunion of some of our old favorites but I’m a little nervous about the new set of judges. I really liked the dynamic of the old four and I’m not quite sure how Usher and Shakira will blend in. Shakira being the biggest wild card for me. Usher I think will be great musically wise but he just doesn’t have that Cee Lo unpredictability. Until next season it’s been a blast watching this show (It’s the only reality show I watch) hopefully next season will bring just as much talent!
Staff
I only half-watched this while I worked on other TV-related writings, and I think the only part that has stuck with me was Levine, Shelton, Usher, and Shakira not wanting to admit to loving Total Eclipse of the Heart in the car by changing the station...and then jamming out to it. Because how can you NOT jam out to Total Eclipse of the Heart?

Also: Please send me a cupcake. They sound delicious.
Staff
When I had an actual work commute, Total Eclipse of the Heart got jammed out to at least four days a week.

The mocha cupcakes are a win. I made eggnog cupcakes last week and they were kind of meh, but THIS recipe is a keeper. I made the icing out of cool whip, chocolate pudding, coffee, and cocoa. It tastes like coffee ice cream. :D
I stopped watching ever since Amanda Brown was kicked out. I'm hoping she'll bounce off and make a career anyway, cause she's pretty much the only contestant of this season I'd be looking forward to listening again.
The only contestant I had some actual sympathy for in the final was Terry McDermott but it was so obvious Cassadee would win that I didn't bother.