The Walking Dead Makes Some Horror-Movie Decisions

I'm getting less and less confident that Rick Grimes and his band of merry survivors are people I'd want to spend a zombie apocalypse with. If the point of this whole thing is to survive, then "Cherokee Rose" featured a number of questionable decisions. Some of these people may as well walk off a cliff backward.

In addition to worrying about one of my fellow surivivors shooting me in the leg just so he can make it back to camp to freak out over his best friend's wife, now I can worry about being lowered into a well to be eaten by a sopping-wet Zombie Chris Farley, getting kicked off the premises by a religious grandpa, and having some woman come onto me in an abandoned pharmacy with zombies on the loose. Ladies! Calm your hormones! There's a time and a place!

"Cherokee Rose" picked up shortly after the awesome conclusion of "Save the Last One," with Otis's wife rudely putting Shane on the spot about Otis's death. Shane did a fairly good job spinning a story of quarter-truths to convince himself that shooting Otis was the only way Carl could survive, and as we discussed last week, he's partially correct. But despite the advice he later dispensed to Andrea about pulling the trigger and putting it behind you, Shane's still crumbling under the weight of all the crap he's carrying. It's a shame, because if he could avoid the whole Lori-Rick thing, he'd be the man I'd hide behind as a zombie herd approached. Ponder this: How different would Shane be now if he'd never fallen for Lori? Would he have shot Otis?

Soon after Otis's memorial, the episode kicked off its most superfluous, frustrating, and entertaining bit when Dale and T-Dog found the fattest zombie I've ever seen floating in a well they were trying to pump water from. We still don't have a clear answer of how zombies infect the living, so Dale correctly realized that finding one soaking in a water supply is enough of a red flag to stay thirsty. The next logical step was to ignore it and head to one of the other four wells on-site for a drink, a bath, a water balloon fight, whatever. But logic escaped these survivors and they embarked on one of the stupidest things they could have done.

"Hey, let's lower the Asian guy down there as live bait!" Do these people really WANT to survive? And really, how did they decide on Glenn? Andrea just looked over at him and it was settled. What's next? "Hey Glenn, go check out the basement and find out what's making that moaning sound. Hey Glenn, go distract that herd of zombies while we drink some lemonade. Hey Glenn, find a cure for zombie-ism, I'm going to take a nap." Meanwhile, no one thought to check the rusty old well pump that was the only thing between Glenn living and Glenn being Zombie Dom DeLuise's next snack. Of course it broke, and Glenn was left dangling a little too close to certain death. But Glenn lassoed the zombie like a stud, because this was Glenn's MVP episode.

The whole sequence was a wheel-spinner for the series. There was no real gain, because Zombie Rosie O'Donnell was ripped in two and spilled her guts into the well anyway. If the goal was to release zombie particles into the groundwater, potentially ruining all of the water on the entire farm, success! Then, as if that wasn't bad enough, T-Dog wailed on the zombie's head, splattering the exact same gooey contagions they were trying to avoid getting into the water. But even though the group made enough boneheaded decisions in five minutes to fill an entire teen slasher-horror movie, I'll be damned if it wasn't entertaining. Pointless? Maybe. Boring? No.

Glenn's heroics did get him laid, though, so I guess for him it was worth it. Maggie's lonely, Glenn's lonely, he found a box of condoms, why not? But one really has to question their judgment when choosing a place to get down. That one time I was in the middle of coitus, I would not have trusted myself to be much of a lookout for the undead. Maybe Maggie's a little more of a multi-tasker, but I would have waited to get back to the comfy confines of the farm, daddy farmer with a shotgun be damned. Of course that's easy to say from my couch, with no topless Lauren Conrad Lauren Cohan (sorry!) standing in front of me. Also, isn't leaving horses tied up outside the pharmacy like putting out a metaphorical hotdog cart for zombies? They sent two people to get supplies because there are zombies, right? I'm just looking for a little consistency here.

Back at Greene Valley Ranch, Rick and Hershel negotiated the length of Rick & Co.'s stay. Hershel said that when Carl is healthy and the whole Sophia thing is finalized (which, at this pace, should be sometime in 2033), Rick and everyone else need to bounce. It's contradictory to Bible-thumping Hershel's faith, but it's survival instinct. Perhaps he wants to make sure there are enough supplies for his own people, perhaps he's scared of Rick trying to take over the farm with force (hence the collecting of the firearms). But even though Hershel says he'll reconsider letting them stay, it looks like their time on the farm is limited.

And that might work out for the best, because Hershel dropped some hints that he has some secrets. The old man was pretty adamant about Rick not staying in the barn, which seems like the logical place for auxiliary lodging instead of putting people up in tents outside the house. What’s in the barn, Hershel!?!?! And why was Maggie particularly disgusted at Zombie Fat Joe from the well? Did she recognize him?

Things closed with a fizzle of a bombshell when Lori took a pregnancy test, complete with gross pee sounds. Also, why not use the indoor bathroom for this instead of walking out in the woods by yourself? Has everyone forgotten that there's a zombie apocalypse going on? Anyway, surprise! It was positive, of course, and now we're left to wonder if the baby is Shane's, Rick's, or—knowing Lori—Dale's, T-Dog's, Glenn's, Jim's, Dr. Jenner's, Hershel's, Otis's, or that very handsome hipster zombie's. The other question is: Does Rick know? There's a popular theory, one that I subscribe to, that Dr. Jenner told Rick that Lori's pregnant at the end of the Season 1 finale. Ugh, being pregnant during a zombie apocalypse? That's like being a Turducken at Thanksgiving.

"Cherokee Rose" featured more "character-building" moments than zombie-brain-smashing moments, and suffered from a few too many flimsy survival techniques. Aside from forward steps for Glenn (bow chicka-wow-wow) and confirmation of Lori's pregnancy, the episode wasn't an essential hour of The Walking Dead and didn't add much to the series as a whole. However, if Season 2's pattern of alternating between action-packed and slow episodes continues, next week will be a bloodbath.

Notes:

– Great soap-opera reaction face by T-Dog!

– Andrea was almost a little ray of sunshine last night! It's great to see her... what's that thing? Oh yeah, smile. The whole gun-stripping metaphor for her stability is working out pretty well. As she gets less cuckoo, her ability to dismantle and rebuild guns gets better and better. Soon she'll be sound of mind, unloading clips into zombie brains, and becoming our favorite character.

– Daryl thinks he found signs of Sophia, but smartly chose not to tell Carol about it. There's no sense in undoing whatever psychological progress she's made until Sophia is found alive. I don't know if I'd use some Cherokee Rose story, though. I find a good "knock knock" joke is a great tension-breaker!

– Question: Who do you think is the father of Lori's baby!?

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Nov 17, 2011
I love this show, but one thing puzzles me and that's the air of utter pessimism from the characters. Surely it's not that difficult to have a reasonably safe, productive and happy zomebie-free life in this new world? All you have to do is head for the great wilderness where the human population pre disaster was at its lowest. Ergo, zombie infestation will be at its lowest, too and you can reasonably be assured of an almost zombie free existence. Also, everything there you need - water, building materials, food. Why anyone would be dumb enough to set up camp near a huge population centre like Atlanta to start with defeats me. Where humans were in large numbers, so will zombies now be. Isn't rocket science!
Nov 17, 2011
I don't think Lori's pregnancy was the subject of Doc Jenner's little whisper because it was included (almost) in Rick's lame catchup over the radio at the start of the season. He began to tell...erm...whatsisname...about it, then caught himself and changed his mind. Obviously it's something momentus, but why would he be almost blurting out such a personal thing between himself and his wife over the radio like that? Answer? He wouldn't. So it has to be something else.
Nov 11, 2011
People are commenting that the pulling the zombie out of the well, and the pharmacy sex is bad writing because they were stupid things to do. Why is that bad writing? People need to keep in mind this isn't a "How to Survive a Zombie Apocalypse" guide - it's real people who do real things, and sometimes they do stupid things and make bad decisions. I think it's perfectly fine to have the characters do something that's not thought out well - it's how people act in real life. This isn't a documentary - it's supposed to be real people. And I have to add - the pharmacy sex probably took all of two minutes at the most.
Nov 12, 2011
It's real people doing real things, and sometimes people do stupid things...but it's not the same when they're all doing the stupid thing at the same time. It's not the same when not one of them says, "Um...wait, what? We're gonna tie what to what in order to what? Well...that's stupid, and we shouldn't do it. Allow me to explain why."

The point of being in a group, aside from the obvious perks, is to keep each other from doing the stupid things, especially when it's not an immediate life-or-death situation.
Nov 11, 2011
oh yeah, next time you go zombie-fishing....use a HOOK!! All they had to do was grab a haybale hook and tie it to the rope instead of the flyweight waving loins in the fatso's face!!
Nov 10, 2011
Oh and following up on the potential plot twist... it's worth noting that Hershel Green is listed as a character on IMDB for twelve episodes through March 2012.

Nov 10, 2011
Someone who writes about a show should pay a little closer attention. The decision to try to remove the zombie from the well was explained, albeit in a manner which presumed that someone has an understanding of what a well is, when they talked about the potential for contamination of the water supply. Granted the way they went about it was pretty half-axxed from start to finish but it was the smart and logical thing to do.

Wells aren't solitary contained things, they're merely access points to the larger body of water under ground referred to as the water table. Significant contamination of one well potentially leads to contamination of ALL the water in access so moving from one well to another in the same area in not way to avoid drinking Zombie soup.

With that understanding and the zombie stew now circulating through the water there's now potential for a big plot twist if the writers of the show are worth their salt. The water supply on the farm is now contaminated for all practical purposes and the preacher may now be forced to ask Grimes, the guy he was just threatening to toss from the relative safety of his family farm, to let his group to tag along.

This would be in keeping with the spirit of the original comic series as new characters were always added when others were dispatched and we already know that for some reason Grimes and his dwindling band won't be staying put for long.
Nov 10, 2011
WARNING!!! Do not read if you haven't read the comic and do not want to be spoiled! This is pure speculation but it does put light to some events that may or may not really happen in the show sooner or later!

Oh, people don't put too much tought on that love scene it wasn't that awkward that Maggie was so "careless". First off the mini-town seemed pretty clear of zombie threat(not even eaten corpses or blood/guts anywhere). She was going there alone for quite some time. The mini-town or something(it actually consists of a few stores and several dozen farms that are spread in miles around it) had what? Probably not more than 100 people total and that's counting the farmers. The whole thing is that none of them are actually at the town. They are all(or at least most of them) at Harshel's barn. And she knows it's pretty safe. Glenn on the other hand should have been a bit more suspicious and adequatte but he's been stressed, given that chore to do for Lori and ofcourse being a vergin presented with the ultra offer from a gorgous girl that also seemed to be pretty strong and a bit of an idol to him...

The well thing was a bit dumb but that's what it is...

As for the girl: I think that Daryll could've searched around that house a bit better and as the situation gets just too stretched out I don't see any other exit out of it rather than Sophie being found by either Michone or Tyreese's group and them helping her reach the farm and finding the group.... Hopefully that's the case
Zombie Chris Farley

the fattest zombie I've ever seen

Zombie Dom DeLuise's next snack

Zombie Fat Joe

Zombie Rosie O'Donnell

Did I miss any?

We get it. The zombie was fat and you, apparently, are not. I'm in awe of your brilliant wit.

Nov 10, 2011
AMC is now in HD, but this show isn't. Since the show is not in HD, I will not watch it!
Nov 10, 2011
I get it in HD, don't know why you don't.

Comcast customer by any chance?

Nov 10, 2011
Good episode but really? I mean haven't these people watched zombie movies before? The whole well thing was stupid and disgusting, but entertaining. Glen had his moment of glory, and Lori has been a bad girl! I hope the next episode is more engaging and there are more revelations or at least more zombie action!
Nov 09, 2011
After reading this review, and the comments below, I don't think I'm going to bother watching it.

The stupid, it hurts!

Perhaps next week will be better...................
Nov 09, 2011
They did do some dumb stuff in this episode.
Nov 10, 2011
Preach Huey! Where's my homeboy Riley at?
Nov 09, 2011
I did not like the end of Season 1, the whole CDC crap was kind of useless imo ... liking season 2 much better, and was a bit shocked when otis got shot and left as life bait ...

But isn't that what an apocalypse film is about, how would the guy next to you act if his life is at stake?

I mean it may sound heroic to sacrifice yourself for the greater good, but if you ever are in that situation then I am not so sure if it still looks like the bright idea you thought it was.

Ofc you could do things much different if you actually wanted to ... I mean why do 2 guys need to go inside the ambulance thing (previous episode), wouldn't it be smarter to have 1 outside as dsitraction ... maybe use a bit car and simply run them over? Get some attention, etc ... noone lost, just a few crippled zombies ...

Would be nice if they find the little girl one way o another ... getting tiresome to have this subject open for so long ...

What is with other farmers in the vicinity? These guys can't be the only survivors? What happened to the zombie horde that roamed the highway? part of the group spent at least 2 days there and they haven't come back?

But in general I like season 2 ...
Nov 09, 2011
I always love it when a Brit can come over to America and take the lead in a hit American show and with TWD, that's exactly what Andrew Lincoln does. Dodgy American accent aside, this is a kickass show.

Nov 09, 2011
Oh and by the way does anyone else realize that they will be kicked off the farm when they discover walkers in the Barn? The reactions of the lady and the old man clearly show us what is coming (no I have not read the comics)
Nov 10, 2011
Thank you! Yes, obviously their is something there... good foreshadowing. And it makes me want to watch Fido, a hilarious zombie movie.
Nov 09, 2011
As for moving on and going to another well, if you have well water you would understand that to "salt" that well would in turn destroy your other wells.....To ignore would be the wrong thing to do. Now the error in their show is that they did not mention that the other wells are now infected.
Nov 10, 2011
Don't think it was so much as an error, I certainly understood what they meant, as a belief on their part that the average viewer has a third grade understanding of their environment.
Nov 09, 2011
Great review! The thing you said about Herschel having secrets made me think of something...what if Maggie knew what was in that well and suggested Rick and Co to drink that water? So far we've seen the lengths people will go to survive so it's definitely a possibility. We know for sure they're not totally welcome. And the scene with Daryll and the rose was a nice scene. He's just the best! He would of never lowered someone in a well with a fatso zombie in it
Nov 09, 2011
Ok TWD is going from bad to worse ... I understand the situation in which the writers tries to give depth to the characters (to bring the public, empathize), but I strongly believe that the writers or directors are really doing a poor job. I'll try to explain why?

1. Rick: In the first season was cool cop on a zombie killing spree, all of a sudden he become a sissy?

2. Andrea ... Well they seem to gave her different mood swings from episode to episode... I understand the zombies, but seriously crazy suicide? that all of a sudden see the light at the end of the tunnel, and then tried to commit suicide again, and then changes her mind again? o come on, gimme a break

3. Shane ... cop with the balls and at the first opportunity 'becomes crazy? (Heisenberg?!?)

4. The sex scene in the pharmacy because it doesn't make any sense. is that girl an Adrenaline Junkie? did I miss something?

5. Lori? I can not explain her actions ...

6. FOr God sake when will the missing girl be found dead? I hope they have a good reason to bring this story on (super zombies, half zombies half girl??) if it isn't something cool I'll stop watching TWD.(I think the writers stick to this story just because they needed an excuse to put Rick and the oters in that farm.

7. oh yeah the stupid redneck from the south of the first season, now is the I will take care of te situation or better I will tell you an old indian story just to make you feel better...

One question: but how's the comic?
Nov 10, 2011
I'm less irritated by Grimes' sissification than I am by Dale Horvath's utter stupidity... his character is becoming more irritating with each episode and if I found myself in the middle of a zombie apocalypse with this moron I'd shoot him first before he got me and the rest of the group killed.

A guys who can turn a wrench and is mechanically inclined as he's supposed to be does not try to drag something of weight the side of a well with a rope draped over the side... trying to take a gun away from a member of the group because he's worried about her hurting herself... please make this cretin zombie food soon.
Nov 10, 2011
The comic is great, and similar to this. Andrea's mood swings aren't as annoying, and Shane is dead. They do go to the farm, and Glenn and Maggie do have sex. Although I kept thinking in that scene... lock the door before you do it people!!!
Nov 09, 2011
I just started reading the comics but already I like them much much better. You should totally check them out!
Nov 09, 2011
There was one little niggly thing that bugged me. Granted, it's been 6 years since I've taken a pregnancy test, but last I remembered, it took more than ONE SECOND for the results to show! For Lori, it was squat, pee (behind a beautifully strategically placed bit of tall grass), look, OH!

That, and the aforementioned struggle to get Glenn out of the well. What was funny was, the top group WERE moving back, the ROPE was moving back, but Glenn stayed right where he was.
Nov 09, 2011
When I took one (of the three I took) last year when I thought I might be pregnant (and I was), it took about that long. It truly only depends on how far along you are. And what the hormone levels are in the urine. It was actually comical how quickly my test read positive. So, though it can take a while, it can also be very quick.

I think the worst part was that Glenn could have just put his legs on either side of the well and just climbed back up... no harm, no foul.

AND, then I also thought of, why bother pulling the zombie out of the well? The water is contaminated. You can't use it. SO would it matter if it is in there or not? What were they going to do? Pour bleach in there and HOPE it killed the zombie germs?
Nov 09, 2011
Ha! I also was thinking why doesn't he climb up the rocks!!
Nov 08, 2011
What I thought was the most ridiculous was that many people had such a hard time pulling the relatively small guy back out of the well as if he weighed 1500 pounds....
Nov 08, 2011
I think it is great that they are following the comic book so well... except for Shane. But I actually like what they can do with his character, so kudos for keeping him. I just wonder if he will be killed off in the same manner as in the books.

As for baby Judy, I wonder if the writers will change that as well, because it is more than possible they will write in a miscarriage. That could be even more dramatic. But I will wait...

I can't wait to see the barn...
Nov 09, 2011
please write SPOILER ALERT. not everybody who watches the show has read the comics
Nov 10, 2011
what was the spoiler? The baby's name?
Nov 08, 2011
Question: Who do you think is the father of Lori's baby!?

Great Spin-off!! "Next on Zombie-Springer......"
Nov 09, 2011
I don't think it matters who the father is... I think that Rick will be raising it... although in the comics, Shane is already dead, so maybe the writers will take it another way...
Nov 11, 2011
You need to write SPOILER ALERT before giving away comic book info since the show might follow it. I really wish I hadn't read what you said about Shane.
Nov 09, 2011
It totally matters. Especially since they (characters/writers) have been hinting that Rick will find out eventually. More soap opera drama! Yay?
Nov 10, 2011
Maybe, but I don't know, honestly it depends on if they plan on keeping a story close to the comics. I don't know if they do, since Shane is already dead in the comic.
Nov 08, 2011
Ladies! Calm your hormones! There's a time and a place!

Tim!! Pay attention!! Didn't you read the sign in the door ??? It said clearly "Take what you NEED!!!"
Nov 08, 2011
father of the child?? the writers!
Nov 08, 2011
This show is dragging, just like Dexter... but much worse!!!!!!!

You would think they wouldn't make all those amateur mistake after all these time in Zombie Waste Land, but, no no no. they have to show us all the stupid mistakes they make and behave like beginner. damn.
Nov 08, 2011
I said "f***" in my comment assuming it would be censored by default and can't edit it - new(ish) comment system fail.
Nov 08, 2011
The baby is Shane's, it's a girl and will be called Judy.

All of Hershel's zombified friends and family are in he barn, after a long amount of bitching to Hershel the gang will kill them.

Glenn & Maggie couldn't fuck at the farm because Hershel wouldn't allow it.

Hershel wants rid of Rick and co because they are dangerous and volatile, he can see that.

They sent Glenn down the well for the same reason as usual, he's the smallest adult there.

When thinking about long-term survival, it might be best to have 5 water supplies instead of 4. Hence why they tried to get the fat zed out.

I don't know how far they want to go with Sophia, but it's really dragging on now.

I'm disappointed that the show is just following the comics again as I'd appreciate a new story that I haven't already read, without new subplots that simply suck (The CDC, Vatos, the well, etc.)
Nov 11, 2011
You need to write SPOILER ALERT before spouting things from the comic book!!
Nov 08, 2011
My question is, a fat zombie just ripped in two, which would be unbelievably disgusting in real life. Then, his head gets smashed in -- HERE we get a visceral reaction. Question = why? I blame directors and bad writing.
Nov 11, 2011
You're right - the visceral reaction should've happened when the zombie spilled his viscera!! Sorry ... ;)
Nov 08, 2011
I enjoyed this episode (the whole part with the fat zombie and Glenn finding the condoms was hi-larious), but it's high time they found Sophia already, it's getting kinda ridikulas.
Nov 08, 2011
While I too am happy Glenn got some nookie after constantly being the "let him do it!" guy, I agree whole-heartedly with both the horses being left where they were, and their clothes being left while they got it on. That's the first thing I thought of, sadly, as she began to strip -- are they going to have to ride bare-back (them, not the horses) back to the farm if zombies suddenly come about?

Not the greatest episode, but not bad. As for the baby's father, I never thought anything about it until reading that question. My opinion: to know the actual answer would destroy the tension of not knowing, and much of the tension driving one of the sub-plots of the show. We won't know for a while, if ever, and that's part of the point. Lori's going to have to struggle with this, as is Glenn to an extent, thus driving yet another character into desperation... and not only because of the zombie apocalypse.
Nov 08, 2011
I have enjoyed the second season so far. I am just bummed that there are only 3 (I think) episodes left until it goes on hiatus until February. I finally decided to check out the webisodes. They were great, I hope they make more and are included on the season 2 Blu Ray/DVD release...or if they make enough, it's own release i.e. Cars Toons Mater's Tall Tales. Might be a poor example but it is the only thing that came to mind.
Nov 08, 2011
i just want to say way to go glenn, my favorite character next to darryl.

What is annoying me is that people are saying that the doctor told rick that lori was pregnant, that a really good theory and a waste of a cliff hanger. mostly untrue because beginning of season ricks talks about the doc and starts to talk about what he said but he stopped, why would he want to tell the world or morgan, seems very unlikely. hey morgan btw my wifes preggos a doctor told me, i am so happy i dont think rick was going to say that sorry
Nov 08, 2011
a good twist would be Shane, but I think it will probably end up being Rick.
Nov 08, 2011
I like this episode. I think it was the best this season. Nature states that people will "do it" regardless the situation, and I have to say way to go Glenn! But I knew it was coming because I seen how hungry Maggie was for Glenn the last episode. Glenn seems to be the only one without major issues, so it was a no-brainer for Maggie! The place and time they "did it" wasn't a problem with me neither --you know it probably didn't go beyond 2 minutes! So security wasn't an issue.

I guess why I like this episode was because the camera wasn't constantly in Rick's, Lori's, Carl's, or Shane's face. Especially Lori; really don't like her. But the one thing I didn't like and thought was extremely stupid for the sake of suspense.. was dropping Glenn down the well. In real life that's unrealistic and I would think know one would ever do that given the fact of what they all have been through! That zombie would had got lassoed from the top, even if it took all day. Another thing that didn't seem right was Glenn not knowing what a pregnancy test was.

Good to see other character development and a good episode.
Nov 08, 2011
Glenn didn't fail to realize what he was holding, he just didn't know beforehand what he was supposed to get, at Lori's request. It was implied that it was tampons and she was embarrassed and he was surprised when he realized it was actually a pregnancy test, hence why he was uncomfortable when he got back and just walked past her coldly.
Nov 08, 2011
They're idiots. It almost seems like a waste to say it this week when so many people have covered it already.

I guess the main mid-issue is whether the girl's in the barn, and if she's been bitten...or kidnapped. With this show, I'm going for the obvious, but it would be so interesting if the religious vet was a child stealer. Either way, I highly doubt he's going to survive before the group of morons leave.

Then, it makes me wonder what's going to happen to Maggie. I had high hopes of her joining the group of morons after everyone else in her group magically died, but now she's in an interracial kinda-relationship with the mousey asian guy. Those just...they don't usually last on a show.

I want Maggie to live!!
Nov 08, 2011
Unless they entirely changed the story from the books (something they have done in the past on several occasions so it's quite possible) that's not what's in the barn, but there is something in the barn and it does relate to Maggie's dismay at seeing the well zombie killed.
Nov 08, 2011
Lori and her 'baby daddy' drama! Poor lady, being pregnant during a zombie apocalypse takes all the fun out of it. How are you supposed to kill the undead while fighting morning sickness? Whoever is the father... she needs to make a decision about tell him quick.

I enjoyed this episode very much, I actually thought the Cherokee Rose story was a nice moment for Daryl since he is always a bad ass. It gave him a well needed softer side, which is interesting since we got to glimpse that Merl might be coming back in the next episode! How is he going to handle that?

Shane has catapulted himself to being one of my favorites. I love seeing the torment in his eyes and not being able to share it with anyone. A lot of people have been hating on him for his choice to shoot Otis, but it's a zombie apocalypse... no decisions are easy. Personally, I think he just got ten times more interesting to watch on screen.
Nov 08, 2011
First of all, now I know from where I remember Maggie: Cohan played Bella in Supernatural. Way to go Glenn indeed! I probably would have done the same thing, no Zombies on the sight, apparently a safe area. But he really deserved it after that stupid lowering him towards fat zombie crap.

I think the baby is Shane's, but it could still be Rick's, remember one episode ago Lori was considering not operating his son and letting him day because there's a Zombie Apocalypse.

I know for sure there's something really creepy about that barn. I would bet anything on it. I wouldn't bet that Maggie reacted like that because she knew him though, cause if that's the case she would have reacted when he/it was still on the well, why react after he's torn in halves?

Shane lying during Otis funeral just made me hate him more. But ironically he's one of my favourite characters (the one you just love to hate), a side Rick, Glenn and Daryl.
Nov 10, 2011
The only problem I have with this setup is the the apparent contradiction it creates. We led to believe that some of the farm residents have never seen a zombie get whacked before, okay so there off the beaten path and no zombie hordes rambled through (and yet Maggie seemed quite adept and busting one's head open with a bat on horse back) and maybe this little town a mile up the road fared as well so that's how they can just stroll into town and take a break for a bit of the old in-out okay with that to.

So where are the towns people and why are the farm residents the only people that appeared to survived?
Nov 08, 2011
letting him *die*, sorry mother tongue betrayed me on that one.
Nov 08, 2011
I had some real high hopes for this show, but it is slipping into mediocrity. I can write drivel like this! Does no one us common sense?

Anyway, hope it gets better or more blood and goo!
Nov 08, 2011
It's getting hard to defend this show's pacing when it grinds to a halt. If it wasn't for the zombie splitting in two I would have fallen asleep.
Nov 08, 2011
best moment on show......maggie....mostly maggie...
Nov 08, 2011
Glenn you lucky bastard you. Hey, if you can find time to get some nookie while having to look out for zombies am all for it. And hey after being lowered down as bait to capture a zombie what better gift for him to have. Maggie is freaking gorgeous, like she said, she''s alone and he's alone and you can tell she likes him. I damn sure wouldn't pass that up. I just wanted to jump into the tv punch Shane in his face during Otis's funeral, "He just gave me the bag and said I'll hold them off." Lying bastard. Oh Lori, it's time to play Maury Povich's favorite topic "Who's the Daddy?" I mean since Rick wasn't with her during most of the zombie apocalypse the best bet is Shane but they did have sex when they first got back to together so the kid could have been conceived then. She's going to have to keep this secret for a while until she starts to show, I mean Glenn knows she a pregnancy test but he doesn't know the results. But when the rest of the group finds out that she is pregnant they all are going to be looking at Shane.
Nov 08, 2011
I don't think it matters whose baby it is. I don't think she'll ever have it. She will miscarry or something dramatic like that. AND do the math If by some miracle chance Lori actually carries her baby to term, at 6 episodes a year, progressing 1 day each episode (like they have been) it will be 40 years of episodes before she has it.
Nov 08, 2011
LOL! Yeah, she wanted Carl to just die, she'll probably fling herself down a staircase....
Nov 08, 2011
First off: Way to go Glenn! (Lauren Cohan is quite a catch in our world. But in a world with only 0.01% of the population not hankering for human flesh, being with her could be construed as a goddamn miracle.) Okay, that's out of the way. Now, let me see if I have this right. A face full of zombie blood spatter is nothing to be worried about, but god forbid you contaminate a water supply with that very same blood (ironclad logic). Lowering Glenn into the well, not spotting the rusty well pump, and the whole general plan was pretty ill conceived.

Switching gears - I like Rick. He's a family man first, and valiantly protects the group as best he can. He may not be as "interesting" as Shane, but his Atlas like struggle is a farcry from boring. That being said, if I could take a vote for a zombie post apocalyptic group leader, Darryl would be my man. This guy is a badass pragmatist with keen survivalist instincts, a crossbow expert, and has a sensitive side to boot. Darryl for President!

I, too, am wondering about the look and subsequent head shake exchanged between Maggie and Hershell. The family patriarch alluded to the fact they are keeping secrets, and seems awfully protective of his barn. Are these people so self-righteously religious, they can't bring themselves to killing infected family members? Is that barn full of chained up zombies, slowly rotting away (or maybe just Hershell's wife)?

I don't want it to be so, but I think Shane is the father. And if Dr.Jenner told Rick this, did he include how far along she was (thus letting him know the baby is not his). Without knowing for sure, will Lori try to convince Rick the baby is his? The whole thing just makes me sick.
Nov 08, 2011
YES! I noticed the head shake too! very subtle
Nov 08, 2011
"Ugh, being pregnant during a zombie apocalypse? That's like being a Turducken at Thanksgiving."

This is pure gold.
Nov 08, 2011
I liked the episode, but I was confused as to why they thought that shooting the bloated, well zombie would contaminate the water as opposed to the fact that having a fat bloated zombie festering in your well has already contaminated the water. It's this strange anti-common sense logic that becomes exasperating. I am one of those people who try not to over-think my favorite tv shows but there always seems to be some questionable decisions being made on this show. And please find Sophia so we can all stop watching Sophia's sad, bald mom weep and whisper through all of her scenes.
Nov 08, 2011
You and me both brother. At this point I just want ONE EPISODE where at least 2% of these idiots use common sense. Just one episode where you can't point out any soapy forced WTF moments. Just one! PLEASE WALKING DEAD WRITERS! Get your shit together! We aren't this damn dense, we expect more from you!
Nov 08, 2011
True, true. Shane wasting water, everything Lori does, letting your kid approach a wild animal, etc., etc. bad decisions abound.
Hilarious recap! :)
Nov 08, 2011
"The old man was pretty adamant about Rick not staying in the barn..."

You are cheating Tim... I know what you think most people don't know you know ;)
Nov 08, 2011
The episode was pretty dull except for the ending and they did made some of the stupidest decisions ever in this episode,especially the well scene,i could see that thing breaking from a mile away,doing it in the pharmacy was also a very dumb thing to do and am starting to get tired of the whole Sophia storyline.It would be far more interesting if the baby was Shanes but i dont think it is cause she had sex with Rick not long ago.
Nov 08, 2011
Thank you for including some yellow fever in there but did the Asian guy have to put out the indecisive and hesitant vibe? He could have been more aggressive and less of a wuss as the show portrayed the Asian male.
Nov 08, 2011
I know black guys that are angry. Doesn't mean they're a stereotype. Don't over think it so much next time.
Nov 08, 2011
It was a good character building episode. I know some people want to go straight from action to more action... or just have constant story revelations. Honestly though, these kinds of character building episodes may seem boring to some but they make the show better off down the road.

Also nice to see Andrea be less of a drag. Nice to see Glen finally do something this season... also really hope T-Dog bites it, he just isn't adding anything to the story and there are far better characters from the comic they could be using instead.

Overall I thought it was a good episode. Built up some character for people like Daryl, Shane, and Andrea... and in the end that makes for a better show when you see how people are now, and how they are adjusting. It makes what they could become later all the more interesting.
Load More Comments