The Walking Dead Pre-finale Death Pool: Who Do You Think Is Going to Make It Out Alive?

Way back in October, before The Walking Dead kicked off Season 3, before we'd even met The Governor we now know so well, we started a friendly little Death Pool and asked you to vote on which characters you thought would live to see the end of the season (apparently we should've also included showrunner Glenn Mazzara; who knew?). Fifteen episodes later, the cast is looking a bit different—T-Dog and Lori are long-gone, Merle returned only to leave us last week, and Andrea has taken on the mantle of "most-hated character." Plus there are a few new folks to consider (hi, Tyreese!).

And so, with the Season 3 finale just a couple days away, it's time to place your bets once again: There's no way we're getting through the big war without casualties. But who do you think will live, and who do you think will become zombie chow? There's gotta be at least one more "big" death on the way, right? Make your predictions by voting in the polls below, then let's hear your reasoning—as well your wishes—in the comments.

RICK

CARL

THE LOVEBIRDS: GLENN AND MAGGIE

ANDREA

DARYL

CAROL

THE NEWCOMERS: TYREESE AND SASHA

HERSHEL

THE GOVERNOR

MARTINEZ

BETH

MICHONNE

MILTON

BABY "LIL' ASSKICKER" JUDITH

Who do you think is gonna bite it this weekend, and why? Who do HOPE will bite it this weekend... and why?

To say the least, TWD is not easy to predict. I enjoyed the finale, but hopefully Scott Gimple can improve some things.
wow, episode 16 was awful
Surprise, surprise. I was wrong about quite a bit.
I was completely off... and I loved it ! ... that's why I love that series so much ... you never expect what's happening... LOVED IT ! can't wait for season 4
Right? The only one I got right from the polls was Milton. It's a shame too because he would have been great with Rick's group. Good for him though in torching the zombies and trying to kill the Governor.

I was a little upset by how Andrea went out though. She managed to free herself, but couldn't kick Zomton away or drive the pliers into his head? As badass as she's been in close quarters zombie combat before, it felt a little unrealistic that Zomton would've vested her like that.

Still, I loved the continuity nod about the safety. Nice one, writers. I'm sad that Andrea's full potential wasn't realized, but at least it's over now. Let the healing begin.

On that note, TWD staff, could you please stop making the women victims of poor decision making just to have them redeem themselves on death? You did it with Lori, and now you've done it with Andrea. If Maggie or Carol suddenly develop a case of the stupids next season, I'm done. Actually, that goes for the men too. Just stop.
Almost nothing happened as expected... and I must say I am quite disappointed in the two deaths and that the one death that SHOULD have finished this season, didn't. :( I hope the next season will be better, more action packed and with more plot. I actually feel this series is getting depressing now. I don't find it realistic that so many dies. It is TOO bleak to be realistic. If this had happened in real life I am convinced less would have died.
For a TV show, it is bad that so many of the main characters die because it loses impact with each death. With so many, it won't make an impact like it normally does in other shows. At least IMO. Other rules apply for a comic I suppose, but for TV it's not working for me.
I was surprised at *how* they died, but it made sense. You knew it was only a matter of time before something like that happened. Besides, that final scene would only have been possible with the sort of revelation the twist provided. Although, I'm a bit worried that there may be an issue of dilution next season unless something happens between seasons or right near the beginning.

I was actually okay with the way the major deaths were handled. They went out as well as anyone could have hoped, short of taking the Governor with them. All in all, I think they did a good job.
Wow. I was really off. Holy damn.
The Governor has to die. Milton will probably die right after he mans up for once & does something courageous. Martinez, because we already have one Ass Kicker that's so worthy,(Daryl). Tyrese shouldn't die, for one he is a major character in the comics & he hasn't had a chance yet. But Sasha is a goner, right along with Allen, whom I just don't like. Andrea is a 50/50. As for Team Prison, more likely Hershel & Beth. Hopefully the rest of Team Prison will be ok cause want to see Glenn & Maggie being marred, Daryl & Carol finally get it on, at least kiss. Carl & Judith (Lil Ass Kicker) are 100% keepers!
I really don't want it to happen, but I feel like Maggie is going to die. Glenn just proposed to her! There's no way the writers are going to let that happen. Plus, it'll be a good motivator to send Glenn to the deep end.
Herschel, Milton, Martinez and the rest of the Tyreese gang (not including Tyreese) will absolutely die. Think the governor is also a goner. The ppl I'm most unsure of are Beth and Carol, but I think both will live for now. Lil'asskicker dying would just be wrong.
I have a theory: If Glenn dies, Maggie and Beth will live, but Herschel will die. If Maggie dies, Glenn, Beth and Herschel will live. If Beth dies, Maggie and Herschel will live. Hey...I didn't say it was a GOOD theory!
So what you're saying is that a Greene will die, but it will be one and only one Greene?
As I said...I didn't say it was a GOOD theory; and it's a moot point anyway. I was incredibly wrong all around. :)
Rick got to live, I'd like to see him take out the governor in some big way, Glenn, is such a whiner I wouldn't miss him and Daryl , Michonne, little Carl are one of the best the show has to work with Rick, I'm a little peeved about losing Merle he was someone you loved to hate but he grew on you.
Can you imagine Rick waking up from a coma to find out it was all in his head?
That's been done before, and I hated it.
Glenn is not dying like that. If you think Glenn dies in a shootout then you clearly know nothing about the comics. Let's just say his death was a big thing in the comics...it was...special.
Right, but someone else could take his place. In the show, Hershel got bitten in the prison and had his leg amputated, but in the comics, it was Allen who faced that particular fate. So for all you know, Glen's big exit is how Daryl goes out.
A) Not everyone who watches the show reads the comics; B) the show itself hasn't exactly (or so I've heard) followed the comics that faithfully. All bets are off.
Glenn and Maggie have to live, they are the new Adam and Eve. I am over the Governor/Woodbury story. Time for some new challenges. Its a big country, move on. I think they will all be gone by the time the Gov gets to the prison. I hope Daryl is back in time.
Daryl will be back in plenty of time. He made it Merle pretty quickly, and I'm pretty sure the attack won't happen until the following day
Glenn and maggie die!, i want rick to die but he can't carl is alright. I'm Mad!! cause merle died i like merle
I hope Andrea bites it and is it really necessary to explain why?
Andrea won't die. She's in the worst predicament out of everyone, so the expectation is that she'll die... which means she won't.
I'm very glad AMC showed the whole series again this week and I got to see every episode a second time.
The biggest thing I picked up that i missed the first time around is how stupid Andrea is.
Not that I was crazy about Dale, but he was right to take her gun away...she shot at Daryl with three other group members running towards him! and she had a smile of happiness on her face like she did a good thing! it shows how so not ready she was to have a gun or be on lookout.
Then she agreed with the psycho Shane and all of her decisions have been downhill ever since.
I think I was routing for her cuz she was part of the original group, but now that I've had a chance to see her backwards way of thinking with a closer look, I'll be glad when she bites it!
She deserved the governor...stupid bitch.
I cannot believe that I learned to liked Michonne and Daryl more over Rick. Survival wise the 2 has better chance of fighting off zombies than the rest. But I hope not Glenn and Maggie considering the odds I think Beth is a goner.
The Governor is pretty cool but if he doesn't die, season 4 will be kinda the same... That would be lame
Looking at the votes above it's clearly a "all the 'good guys' live and 'bad guys' die" kinda hope. But some of the good guys will certainly die. My money is on Hershel and Glenn going. They made too much of a point about the proposal thing, so clearly it's a heart strings pull moment. The governor will die but not sure whether it'll be Rick or Michonne, i'm hoping for a tag team. Milton will join the prison crew and everyone else will go their merry way.

According that article, the body count for the finale is rumored to be at 27? Guys, that's like all of Woodbury. The only character death that's surprised me so far was Sophia's... I just hope the writers didn't decide to throw us for another loop by offing a character we assume is safe.
No one is ever safe in the Walking Dead universe. I'm trying to be as prepared as possible to see anyone go tonight.
If Andrea's the most hated character then there are a lot of misogynists out there. She's done nothing but try to fix the situation. You can't really blame her for initially falling for the governor's charms like everyone else. I also remember when Lori was the most hated character because she had sex with another man when she thought her husband was dead. Don't aide the misogynists by helping to spread their hate of female characters.
Yes, that's right. If people hate Andrea, it must be because there's something wrong with THEM, not because there's something wrong with the character.

Is there a chance you might be taking this a bit personally? Are you the type to abandon your friends after they've been there for you time after time? Cheat on your spouse, maybe?

I never disliked Lori, and was sad when she sacrificed herself so that her baby would have a chance. It was a very touching moment. I understood her motivations. Her actions seemed to typically have negative consequences, but I think she always tried to do what she felt was right in terms of keeping the group together. She didn't want to let Shane go because he had kept her and Carl safe before Rick showed up and he also someone who could help protect the group for outside threats. The problem was that he posed a threat from within.

Andrea? I just can't excuse her behavior. She turned her back on the woman who saved her life at least once, and kept her safe for months, believed a guy she barely knew over her friends, closed her mind to all the clues before her, and swallowed every load of BS the guy fed her. One example:

Andrea and the Governor are happily shacking up.
Andrea learns he had been keeping Glenn and Maggie and that he knew of their connection, but never told her
G:Twisting your words around for my benefit
A: Don't do that. Don't push me away.

What? No, seriously. What? That's how far a former successful civil rights attorney takes it? No further questioning? No calling him out on his bullshit? That's it? "Don't push me away?" Ugh.
More +
Yes, that one line of her's totally sealed my serious dislike for her character.
My hate for Andrea has nothing to do with her gender. I freaking love Maggie, Michonne, Beth, Carol... All females with all of the female parts. Oh, but you know what else they have? A BRAIN.
I was a little mad at Maggie for telling the Governor they were staying at the prison. I mean, it was obviously very important to Glenn that their friends be kept safe, and then she just blurts it out. You couldn't have tried lying, Maggie? Said you were staying back at the Greene farm or something?

That said, I don't hate Andrea... if anything, I'm just tired of being disappointed by her character.
The reason I hate her started during season 2, she wanted to 'die' but kept doing everything that would promote her survival, constantly. Then kept whining about how she was still alive. That got annoying the entire season. Then, she was rescued by Michonne and both of them survived the winter TOGETHER and she betrays the trust between them for somebody she doesn't know. The person who was out looking for medicine FOR YOU and you just let her go off by herself. She has no loyalty except to herself. That's the type of character I don't like.

On that note, I never liked Merle much, but he had one redeeming quality: his loyalty to his brother. He never wavered when it came to his brother. Andrea doesn't even have that.
Right. Merle took a suicide mission upon himself for the sake of his brother. He let Michonne go and went to face The Governor's men on his own in order to save his brother, knowing he wouldn't make it out.

Andrea gets saved by Michonne right from the start, Andrea gets the flu, and Michonne stays with her, keeping her safe the entire winter, Michonne tries to warn her about something being off, and begs Andrea to leave with her, but Andrea blows her off and allows her to leave by herself. Way to be there for your friends, Andrea.
I could barely make it through the past few episodes. What a pile of awful. Season 2 part 1 all over again. Hopefully the finale is better.
I think Glen and/or Maggie will die. I think Rick will be killed by the Governor as will Milton. I think Daryl becomes a surrogate dad to Carl and Judith(with maybe Carol stepping in as a surrogate Mom). Daryl and Carl get their revenge on the Governor early next season.
First, I haven't read the comics after they came to the prison in them, so i don't know much of what's going to happen from then on.

I don't think many of Rick's people will die in the season finale since some of them will die later on, maybe in season 4. Season 3 has had enough deaths of their group. Besides, they need the otherwise expendable Beth to take care of the baby. Someone has to, and I don't think the baby will die since Rick's been through enough. She could die later though. It's been enough deaths in season 3 IMO.

I also think they'll need a doctor around so Hershel is always going to be needed + he is the only old "wise guy" kinda keeping the group grounded. I could picture him dying though.

I think Milton will end up with them, but maybe that's just my wishful thinking because I want more plot and he could offer that with his experiments etc.. He'd be the science-guy wanting answers maybe. I want that... Or maybe he'll die letting Andrea loose.

Andrea won't die and I also don't hope she will. She's been annoying, but I would rather have her come to her senses again, get back to Rick's group and be his future love interest. They seemed like an obvious couple from the very beginning when they met (before he found Lori).

Carol shouldn't die because she's gotten likable and should be with Daryl and he is not going to die.

Tyreese is a new character and I doubt he'll bite it, but Sasha might.

Most of the deaths gotta be Woodbury people. Martinez, the Governor obviously.
I think now that Sophia's gone, Beth represents hope for the group. It could be argued that Judith serves this purpose as well, but I think she more aptly represents the future. Beth's singing supposedly gives the group hope, optimism, resolve, etc. For that reason, I think she's in danger of dying at the end.

The Carl/Beth relationship seems to have been dropped, but I'm sure Carl still has a crush on her, so losing her would be a hit to him as well.

Judith is technically in danger too because this would be a good time to write her off without really focusing on her death too much. In the comics, she died when a bullet went through Lori as they were escaping the prison. Perhaps that's how Beth and Judith will go. It has to be a way that doesn't single out the baby's death. I don't think we're ready for that level of gruesomeness yet. I don't know that Rick's could really handle the baby's death at this point, but losing both Beth and his sister would be a big strain on Carl after losing his mom. It really depends on just how much the writers want to mess with Carl at this point.

Carol's in danger too because of how much she's grown. Merle of all people acknowledged her growth from the woman she was back at camp. That's like the kiss of death right there. Plus, Daryl has already lose Merle. If he fails to save Carol too? Again, it really depends on how much the writers want to kick certain survivors.

Hershel. He only has one leg, and if he goes, it'll either be by sacrificing himself to save one of his children or Glenn, or seeing one of his children die will cause him to lose his will to live like he did in the comics, and then he'll just be picked off. I'm hoping for the former.

Maggie. Glenn proposed so that she'd know how much she meant to him before anything bad happened. Now she knows. I guess the same argument could be made for Glenn dying, but it seems like Maggie's death would have more meaning/impact based on that.

I don't think Michonne, Rick, Carl, or Daryl are in any danger though... well, maybe Michonne, though she's too much of a badass. Still, it can only be her or Sasha. Personally, I'd like to see more of Sasha, but Michonne is a favorite from the comics. I don't think they'll dispatch her just yet.

Andrea will make it too. Her current predicament is too dire for her to die. It's almost expected.
More +
This series is almost too dark. It's just sad how many they are killing off and how many they will kill off.
Well, in its defense, it's *supposed* to be dark. People would complain it wasn't realistic enough if the group never suffered any losses, and those losses have to come in the form of developed characters for impact and also to avoid "redshirt" jokes.
I have a theory Beth (or Carol, but I feel like they have a lot of room to develop her character and her relationship with Daryl so hopefully they're smarter than this) will die the way Lori did in the comics--holding baby Judith and trying to escape, but instead being shot down (and Judith being crushed to death under her weight.)
Seems like every 4 episodes something big happens in Walking Dead.

304 - Lori and T-dog die
308 - Group invades Woodbury
312 - Reunited with Morgan
318 - Woodbury invades Prison?
Your math is off my friend.
Are you trying to say that 12 plus 4 isn't 18?!

Maybe 16 and 17 were eaten by zombies!
Baby Judith is gone... no way they are going to keep running around with a baby... plus Hershel is crippled now ...
I think Carol is safe because of Merle, Daryl could not handle another lost so soon.
That is if Daryl don't cop it. :(
Beth is my #1 pick.
If they pull a Klaus with the Governor I'm gonna be upset. Season villain goes away at the end of the season. It's fundamental to the social contract under which we live.
A Klaus?
I think he is going to live unfortunately. I think they are going to pull a Sylar, or a Russell, or a Klaus or whatever you want to call it. I wonder when that started?
I never finished watching Heroes... didn't Sylar end up redeeming himself though?
My money is on Magie. Seh and Glen have been far too happy recently - which means that something bad is coming. I don't think I could bear it if something happened to Glen so that leaves Maggie. :-)
I think Beth and the Governor will die. Beth has no other role than taking care of the baby. If they let her live they should give her something more to do.

If you want to watch a GOOD show about surviving, what Falling Skies not this crap.
It's amazing that people can watch more than one tv show of the same genre, isn't it? Crazy stuff, this life of ours.
You can watch both. :)
You are joking right?
I doubt Andrea will die. Based on how much work the governor has put into the torture chamber, im sure hes gonna torture her onto next season. And yeah the governers definitely staying for a couple of seasons at least. Hes an important character in the comics. I just feel as though all of Tyreses friends might die, as of now I don't perceive of them as much important and no one gives a shit about them either.
If Andrea dies I'm done!
I believe Beth will die together with Judith.
Also, I'm afraid the governor will live for another season with Woodbury set.
I totally agree... Beth is useless and the baby's a burden as well... now that Lorie's gone, it cannot follow the storyline of the comicbook but some of them will definitely die
I think Beth and Judith represent hope and future for the group. Their deaths would be kind of symbolic. As for usefulness, Beth no less useful than Carol. At least Beth sings. I don't care for her songs, but the group seems to enjoy them.
Honestly, at this stage of the game, I even doubt there will be some kind of war. Things got so delayed in this second half of this season that I think nothing will happen in the finale. They've been stalling and stalling... Probably because there's nothing really there; which is a shame, 'cos there's been so much potential. I guess only secondary characters will die - probably not the Governor, who seems to be bulletproof, zombieproof... I would like to be awed, but chances are slim.
Avoid watching the promos for the finale then 'cause its pretty clear the Governor is knocking on the prison door. The big question will be who is there to greet him.
Probably there will be nobody waiting for him.
Tyreese will definietly live considering they havent built the character anything yet. That part is to big for them to kill him of before that. I hope they finish the Governor-chapter like they do in the comics, but I will avoid spoilers here for those of you who don't want to know!

The rest is hard to guess. Obviously Darryl will live. Carl and Rick too! Andrea and Martinez could be goners. Beth or Hershel will probably die, and that death will be motivation for the other in some way. Glenn and Maggie will make it, they can't die before their wedding.

In the end it's just Carl and Rick who are safe.
I think either Glenn or Maggie will die, but I think it's a toss up as to who. I love Lauren Cohen so I hope it's not her, but the way women are written on this show it's more likely to be her.
Has anyone else noticed the obvious change in the questioning when it comes to certain characters? With Herschel it's worded different, but when it comes to other characters "dies" is listed first and "lives" second. Now, I'm no genius... as beer would indicate... but if I were a reviewer with access to early copies, I might state the obvious as such.
The order of "lives" or "dies" is based on how many votes for either...its not an indication of anything else.
I noticed that too, I also noticed that in each case the one with more votes is on top. So maybe the answers re-arrange themselves to put the most popular answer at the top.
I don't want either to die, but I kind of expect the death of one of Glenn or Maggie.

Rick, Carl, Daryl, and Michonne are the only SURE bets for me to live.

Andrea, obvs, is the one I hope to die most... but I expect her to live.
If Michonne weren't a favorite from the books, I'd rather Sasha make it instead of her. Not that I don't like Michonne... it's just that I think Sasha's prettier, and the show doesn't really like having more than one black person in the group for more than a few episodes.
Everybody except Rick, Carl, Michonne, Darryl, Glenn, & Maggie should die. And if you're not reading the comics, nothing you say holds any weight for me. It is 1000 times better than the show in every conceivable way. If people on the show annoy you, read the book and you'll be even more annoyed because the show doesn't have half the awesome sauce as the book.
I hope Carl dies, he is so annoying
He hasn't said very much this season plus the way he is portrayed now shows you what the reality is growing up in that environment. Saw the repeat yesterday where his dad had a talk with him about how life is going to be very different for him than when he was a kid, and that he will have to become a man much earlier than he should. That's exactly what they did with him this season.
i really hope andrea dies. and all those guys from woodberry. need a new story, duh
In the season finale, they're doing what they should have done 6 episodes ago, LEAVING. This show has gotten way too boring and NOT watching the 4th season, I wish they just killed off all the characters and started a new story.
lots of deaths i think! Gotta shake it up.
Am I the only one who wants maggie to die? i hate her, shes so crap, and her and glenn are such a bland couple i get bored everytime the two of them share screen time. Since gettin with maggie, hes become a bit shit too, and he WAS one of the best. So im really hopin maggie dies(just after they get married probably) and then glenn just leaves the show some other way so we dont have to hear him whine. I hope beth makes it, but i think hershel will probably die, war is no place for a one legged man :( Tyresse will live and join the group but sasha will die and someone will have to take over rick as leader(cough-daryll-cough) cause hes been a bit of a dick lately. Im also hoping carl will save a couple of lives in a really badass heroic way! cause i quite like seasn 3 carl.
And of course, Long Live Michonne!
I want Tyrese to make it, because I miss seeing Cutty from The Wire. haven't read the comics, and don't care to.
I am hoping Tyreese lives but knowing this show he'll probably die
No, there's technically a spot still open for a black male in the group, at least for a time. Eventually though, it'll either be him or Michonne. Had Morgan returned with Rick, I'd be worried about Tyrese's chances, but I think he's safe. Sasha, on the other hand... it's a shame too because she's so pretty.
yea but because of what happened in the comic made to suffer arc i am afraid tyreese's fate doesnt look to good. sasha i think is as good as dead to and i agree she is beautiful woman.
I hope a ghost walker will bite Lori's ghost and kill her for good this time...
If ghost Lori is bitten by a ghost walker won't she become a ghost walker herself, we can't have that now can we?
Maybe the ghost walker would be so nice to just eat her. Completely.
Load More Comments