The Walking Dead: Won't Someone Think of the Children?

The Walking Dead S02E11: "Judge, Jury, and Executioner"

There are big spoilers ahead for The Walking Dead's "Judge, Jury, and Executioner," so you should probably watch the episode before continuing with this article.

Stunned! One thing the second half of The Walking Dead's second season has going for it is that the first half never really showed any teeth until Sophia shambled out of the barn in the midseason finale and Rick shot her in the face, making any substantial events that occur now seem that much bigger. And tonight, a real big one dropped.

"Oh my God, they killed Dale!" You bastards.

When Sophia went down, we all said, "WHOA they killed a kid! No one is safe!" But Sophia wasn't exactly a main character. Sure, she was a survivor. But if you asked me to list off all the characters from Season 1, her name would come up somewhere between Grandma Vato and that Morales guy who decided to randomly leave with his wife one night. She wasn't just a kid, she was a secondary character's kid whose main responsibility was shaking like a leaf and cuddling a teddy bear.

But Dale is just about as main of a character as we have, and he's one of the core members of the group that came over from the comics. Sorry, WAS. He could get annoying at times and often gave my boy Shane the stink eye as though Shane had peed in his Fruit Loops, but he was an extremely important and unique part of the group dynamic. Oftentimes he was the voice of reason in a world where reason had died, and that definitely showed tonight. Everyone was set on ending Randall's life because they thought he was a threat, but good old Dale bugged out his eyes and did that thing with his voice where it hops up a pitch when he can't believe what he's hearing. (By the way, I totally agree with Dale. Randall got the rawest of raw deals.)

So what is the show saying when it kills off the only man who opposed the group's murder plot? I don't think the message is "conform or die," I don't think it's "yellow-hearted pacifists get killed," and I don't think Dale's death was subliminal pro-death penalty propaganda. I think—and hope—the show is trying to say this: If you're a character on The Walking Dead who's not named Rick Grimes, count your blessings every frame of film that you're alive because you can go at any time, and what happened in the comics stays in the comics. That's what this show has to do in order to be a believable zombie apocalypse drama, and to continue to surprise those who thought they knew what The Walking Dead was all about because they read the graphic novels. And most importantly, these deaths have to be random. None of us want to be shorted an "authentic" zombie-apocalypse experience, and allowing Dale, who was so important in this episode, to have what he ate for lunch ripped from his guts by a zombie is about as keepin'-it-real as it gets. I love random, senseless deaths! They keep me on my toes. Even if they happen because someone walks out into the wilderness. At night. Alone. The show needs to work on these lonely walks people seem so intent on taking.

The effects of death are just as important as the deaths themselves, and Dale's demise is going to rattle Carl like a maraca in the hands of a tweaker. Poor little guy. Growing up in a world where the dead eat the living must be tough for a kid. So what's a tyke to do? Of course he's going to harden up real fast. You can't tell him the world is different now, openly discuss murdering someone, and then expect him to quietly play Chutes & Ladders in the corner.

Carl's cold heart was on display during the scene in the barn with Rick, Randall, Daryl, and Shane. Gotta say I wore out the edge of my seat watching that one. I was already uncomfortable because I was vastly opposed to their actions (I'm a lover, not a fighter, and believe in prisoner rehabilitation), but seeing Carl stroll in to say "Do it!" like he was watching a cockfight made me full-on squirm. When Shane goes El Pollo Loco it's one thing, but when Carl does, it's brutal. I believe the children are our future and all that, and this future looks pretty bleak. Again, this is something the show had been hinting at doing for some time now but didn't have the balls to go all the way with in the first season and a half. The Walking Dead is a much better show now than it was in 2011. So much better.

And to make things worse for Carl, his zombie plaything was the one that escaped and ripped Dale open like a Christmas gift. This kid is going to be supremely messed up. I don't know if what happened will smack the fake maturity out of Carl or make him even more of a stone-cold killer, but he's one of my favorite characters, and whichever direction he goes in will be fascinating to watch. Part of me wants him to go back to being a normal kid and do kid things. That's the happy ending. Another part of me wants him to become the Zombie Terminator and shave his head in the mirror, because, well, seeing a 12-year-old boy fire off headshot after headshot would be pretty badass. Any time a drama throws a kid into a serious storyline, it's a total crap-shoot, but The Walking Dead has the potential to have one of the best on its hands as Carl represents so much more than just a child. Yes, I'm LOVING this storyline.

But hey, Dale's death is only partially Carl's fault. That's what happens when kids stop acting like kids and parents stop acting like parents. For all the whining Lori does to Rick about "thinking about what's best for his son," she sure doesn't spend a lot of time doing things like, oh I don't know, making sure her son doesn't walk into the woods ALONE to play Nanny-Nanny-Boo-Boo with walkers stuck in the mud. Carl is 12 years old, Lori. What's your excuse?

And now for the complaining (sorry!). There were times when I thought the episode was backtracking in quality. Some of the conversations leading up to the big debate club in Hershel's living room smacked of the show's past problems. I shuddered when Dale spoke to Andrea in the RV: "You were a civil rights lawyer. You fight with words, the power of ideas." Ugh. Not this again! "The world has changed! (again)" "Where's our humanity? (again)" Yeah, yeah, we've hard all that before. The Walking Dead has gotten much better about not wasting scenes, but there are still moments when it feels preachy and you begin to wonder, "Would people really talk this way in this situation?"

Those are just nitpicks, though, for another episode that overall was another positive step for the series that had been falling down every open manhole it came upon. It was pretty dark, wasn't it? What the writers are doing with Carl is J-U-I-C-Y. And killing off Dale was a shock that I never saw coming, but in the long run, it was a great move for a series that purports to be a show that can kill anyone. I love that. However, if The Walking Dead so much as touches a hair on Glenn's head so help me God I will hunt down those responsible and murder them myself. Have a good day!

Notes

– Look at Carl's face! Look! Doesn't that just break your little heart? If Rick pulls the trigger, he kills any shot Carl has at having a normal life and sense of morality.

– Anyone else miss nice Daryl? His current arc as a grumpy hermit is one of the few things I'm not on board with in the second half of Season 2. Sweet Angel of Death Wings patches on the jacket though, bro.

– So... can the group go ahead and kill Randall now that Dale's gone, or what?

– All of a sudden Hershel is okay with handing off his precious pocket watch to Glenn? What changed his mind? Was it the time he cried to Maggie about freezing up in the face of danger? I would have liked to have seen Glenn do something to deserve it. That scene just came off as unnecessarily cliche.

– I know they're still just on the farm, but the multiple locations being used are showing another side of the property we didn't see before. We're all very sick of that front porch shot. Moving from survivor camp to barn to the lake to the woods to Daryl's hermit-town to indoors was a great way to solve the problem of "GET THESE PEOPLE OFF THE FARM PLEEZ!!"

– What happens to that gun that Carl dropped? Will Daryl notice his is gone?

– I'm still really confused about zombie behavior. So sometimes they sneak up on you and then make growling noises? Other times they're always loud? I just want some consistency, man.

– Hey, T-Dog! What's up? Nothing? Okay, cool. Maybe see you next week, I guess. Seriously, raise your hand in the comments section if you never expected T-Dog to hang around this long.

– Possible comics spoiler re: Dale. For those who didn't read the comics, Dale lasted a lot longer than he did in the TV series. Ditto for Sophia. With its ability to add and subtract characters believably, The Walking Dead is the perfect story to adapt for television and completely tinker with it. I'm loving these differences.

Episode MVP
Rick lost his shot at a threepeat by twice not being able to pull the trigger, even if it was the right thing to do. And this wasn't an episode where anyone was particularly badass. So I'm going to go ahead and give this one to Dale, posthumously, because he showed no fear in standing up to the group.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Holy shit I hope the fans don't dictate the direction of this show. And some of you are "happy Dale died"? Wtf is wrong with you? With no morals you don't give a fuck. When you don't give a fuck people die... Shane's character development represented this perfectly. If he had been ashamed of killing Otis he might still be alive. He turned his switch off and never turned it back on. Deserved death imo.
add...// the conflict with the prisoner is also one of the most compelling storylines i have seen play out on tv. i am nearly unable to keep any of my thoughts to myself when they are discussing his plight...getting me into trouble with the friends i watch with...lol...
For one thing carl seems so much younger than i think he is suppose to be,but regardless his impulses are still open for consideration. we don't yet know his heart. he may be saying and doing things in responce to the horror around him,or turning into a full blown sociopath. i am going to bet on the former. shane is the far more emotionally mixed up and unstable than the kid ever will be. and that drama is what is so compelling,because he has some power and makes his own when he feels he hasn't enough...amazing tv. i can't remember anything more daring...
Oh, my god. I was on the edge of my seat all the way through this episode. Yelling "What the hell are you doing?!?" to Carl as he wandered through the woods. Wondering how the debate on Randall would play out. I seriously thought all the way through that Carl would be the one who ended up killing him. It was chilling to see how this new world has changed this kid. And then...OMG...not Dale. I cried.

Oh, and I see the Lori-haters are still in full flow. Why on earth isit just Lori's problem that Carl wandered off unchecked? Why does she get jumped on for not supervising him enough? Guess because Rick is the man, the father, it's not his responsibility, huh? Urgh...you guys and your silly double standards.
I actually stood up and cheered when Dale was killed. If Dale were to get his way the show would be over in a couple of weeks. He advocated saving the life of someone who would kill the entire group. Unless of course Rick and the gang could fend off "30" men with automatic weapons.
hey, i saw this thing, you can call it analogy, or the game that the writers play: The kid didnt killed the zombie, so the zombie became a threat and dale was murdered. His father, Rick, was suppose to kill randall over the same concept, and he didnt. I was really happy with the quality of this writing. The comparison in this two plots. awesome..
There is only room for one character in each morale spot. For instance you have Hershal now, so Dale can go. In the future Shane can go because we will see the Governor soon. As long as that morale position is represented is all that matters to the writers.
From almost start of this season I have been feeling that Dale is going to be gone one way or another. But still it comes as a shocking surprise and while I absolutely hate it, I think this event will bring some sense of everyone because it was everyone's fault. They abandoned him and made him go for air ultimately ending up under the plaything.

Personally when Carl saw that zombie, it gave me chill-ful thoughts that 1. that zombie going to follow him back if the kid didn't put a hole in his head 2. If the kid really shot him/it then it will change him forever. Both scenarios were horrible to think and well, one of them happened. I was hoping that they would save him but...
I have to say, I wasn't going into this episode thinking, "Hmmm, I think Dale is going to die this week." LOL. That caught me off guard a bit! Pretty good episode over all. Not sure what to think of the whole direction they are taking the Carl character. I am pretty neutral on him (there are far worse characters), but perhaps what happened in this episode could make for something interesting shows down the road. I am more wondering how crappy the parenting has to be for Lori, and well Rick too, to not be watching their kid more closely. For heavens sakes, zombies could be anywhere. Carl could have been screwing around out in the woods for hours for all we know, without his parents batting an eyelash.

About Randall. Since they are having such a hard time figuring out what to do with him, now going on for multiple episodes, why not just ignore Lori (probably a good idea most of the time) and her concerns to have them head out again in the car... drive Randall's sorry a$$ like an hour away, maybe 60 miles, don't go stopping off anywhere or scrounging, just dump him off, give him some rations, be done with him, and drive directly back. I doubt Rick is going to wreck a car like Lori did. LOL. It's either this, or they just need to off Randall (?).

And what is the purpose of T-Dog anyway? Lol. Good grief, give the guy some lines.
The show is a walker stuck in mud, put it out of it's misery.
Are you still in your Stargate: Universe - depression - loop ?
your comment is eerily reminiscent of the episodes moaning disemboweled cow.
I thought T-Dog would die in the season 2 premiere and he is still around, haha :)

I am guessing they're saving him for the finale as an easy kill to get things started.

I really wish they would stop ignoring T-Dog. He deserves better. Give the poor guy some lines at least! I actually laughed out loud during the Randall debate in the house when I belatedly realised he was there. Poor slob didn't even get to voice an opinion! I like T-Dog - I like all the characters - but, honestly, if you're just going to have him standing around in silence week on week, just kill him off already and put him out of his misery!
last episodes are gonna be a slaughter fest
Musings on zombie physiology...

Only damage to the brain "kills" a zombie. Either a bullet, or crossbow bolt, or stabbing weapon. Apparently they can take all the damage to the torso, or extremeties, you can dish out, and keep on coming (albeit relatively slowly). Which apparently means that their circulatory systems are no longer functioning or necessary? No heart beat? I guess their lungs work, hence all that moaning. But gunshots to the lungs don't seem to slow them down. If there's no metabolism, why do they need to eat live flesh? If what drives them isn't biological in nature (virus, bacteria, biological/chemical weapon of some sort), but something "supernatural", why would a shot to the brain take them out?

Another thought...if a shot to the brain puts zombies down instantly, wouldn't .22LR be the perfect zombie control caliber? I've got a Ruger 10/22 carbine with 50 round clips that would be a blast for zombie noggin plinking :p You could carry a whole lot of rounds for a fraction of the weight and space of large calibers. There is essentially no recoil, making it the easiest round to learn to shoot well. Plus, the report is relatively quiet. Hearing protection isn't really required when shooting them. This would save your hearing for detecting shambling zombies trying to sneak up on you. It would be less likely to draw in more zombies. And, you could fashion a silencer for it fairly easy. Even a plastic liter soda pop bottle slipped over the muzzle could make an effective silencer to even further reduce the report. Granted, it wouldn't be your best choice to deal with well armed living bandits that are willing to kill you for your supplies. On the other hand, daily practice nailing moving zombies between the eyes would give you the skill to place shots between the eyes of the living as well :p
I think we are to assume that the virus keeps the brain able to control body functionality even if organs/veins/nerves are damaged. It is after all a sci-fi "virus" so you can say that lets the brain control all parts of the body in a non-human way
just a thought...if it is a virus then the "eating" is just the virus's way of making sure it is spread. no metabolism=no need to eat. a shot to the brain is because that is where the electrical impulses that control body function/ movement is believed to come from. I agree there are many resources they could avail themselves too including silencers, and sniper weapons for overwatch duties when team members are foraging... bite proof or resistant clothing would also be on the top of my list....the only function of the heart is to bring oxygen to the body parts/organ so i am not sure why they would need the lungs...dont know if its theatrics (the moaning) or if there is a need after all, albeit a small need.
The series is getting worst each episode it goes. If they keep up like this, the whole cast will be dead in a couple of episodes (I already said it, and I'll say it again, this series is doomed to be cancelled by the end of thsi season, or the next one). The comic books are much better than this thing they call "TV series".
Apparently you haven't heard that the series was already picked up for a third season. In fact, the ratings were so good that it was picked up for the third season only two weeks after the season two premiere. You may not like the show, but that puts you in the minority not the majority. If you have a problem with cast members being killed off then this is not the show for you. It's a zombie apocalypse, people have to die. I respect a show that's not afraid to kill off its characters. Look at 24, and they managed to have eight seasons.
Like it or not, the series is producing great ratings, so a Season 3 is guarenteed and I wouldn't be surprised if they greenlight a Season 4

Also, while Season 2 Part 1 was a total disappointment, the first episodes of Season 2 Part 2 were great (although I admit last episode was a step in the wrong direction again)
I love the comics but the series has definitely been getting better... i dont understand ur complains about people being killed off - in the comics the deathtoll is much higher! they'll be introducing more characters to the show so no worries and no way this is getting cancelled.
One other thing that annoys me. Kids tend to be curious with little sense of danger of the unknown (look how babies react close to animal before an adult "demonstrates" that animals are dangerous).Ok with that.

But once a kid knows something is dangerous goes to the other side and exaggarates. As kids, when we knew something was dangerous - e.g. crossing a road - we took extra measures to make sure we are safe - waited for the road to be empty before crossing while an adult would just evaluate traffic to see when he could cross.

I hate it that in TV and movies, the kids always are ignoring danger even when they know is there. I highly doubt that a real kid would sneak to see a prisoner from up close, even if he was prisoned for tax freaud. I could see Carl not being as much afraid as adults when he saw the first zombie in his life but now that he knows they are dangerous I doubt he'd take a walk in the woods or getting close to a zombie

he is 12, he is more a daring teenager than a kid at this point.
Thanks to TWD creators for killing off a majorly annoying character - I liked Dale at first but he spent the last 10 episodes acting as nothing has happened to the world and people's morals could be the same. He was selfrighteous, he was annoying and I get that someone at his age would like to preserve the humanity of the group for the last couple of years he has, but others are younger and have to make tough decision. Dale wanted his cake and to to eat it 'Act as moral - Let others do the non moral thing that is essential for survival"

I'm happy he's gone because little Carl is starting to annoy me so its a +1 and -1 situation.

How stupid is this kid? Talking angry to those that comfort you? Going to see the prisoner? Wondering alone in the woods? Stealing a gun? Failing to kill a zombie?

This kid has been in trouble so many times and keeps endangering himself and the others that try to rescue him. At this point the Grim's Family is my No1 Top Annoying TV Family (and when Rick is the least annoying member, you know there is a problem here)
wow kill Carl really ??? Many of you want that little boy eaten by a zombie. where not even in a zombie apocalypse but we want to kill of small child like a hungry zombie mob. The world beocomes more scary in the real world than the world of the walking dead..LOL :) I don't want him dead, I want to see him as a stone cold psykotic killer in the futurue mohahaha :)
i think the thing with carl is showing there are many ways to be a victim of this new world...not just get eaten. the thing is u tend to become what it is u try to fight against...losing humanity comes in many forms and degrees. the zombies are the complete loss...the humans are the steps and levels of that loss.
i think that's where they are headed.. someone made the point of comparing carl throwing stones at the zombie to how serial killers often when they're young torture animals and the sort...
ugh Dale. I'm so happy he's gone. R.I.P. Mr. public service announcement. There are so many better ways to write a moral compass character. Now if they could just bump off Lori... I threw up a little an episode ago when she was talking to Andrea about how she needs to stop pretending to be a man and get back to her place in the kitchen. How about Lori gets off her pregnant ass and does some guard duty? Or she could just watch her kid, maybe? Or maybe the group should think about killing off the dead-weight since they've decided to kill people that might endanger the group.
I too was wondering what Lori is thinking, i mean come on lady theres a zombie apocalypse why are you letting your son wander the woods. She seemed more overprotective of him before she found out Rick was alive.For goodness sake Lori have him do some freaking chores to keep your kid out of trouble. On a side note Daryl thank you for saying Rick is not an idiot he knows what shane did.
I never wonder what Lori's thinking. Ever.
I actually like where they're going with Carl too...he wasn't a real character until now, just the sweet obedient kid of the main character, whose safety was a big deal, kind of a plot device that moved other people. Now he wants to be a grown-up and feels left out. That seems pretty believable for a twelve year old, especially one in this situation. Everyone seems to think he doesn't understand anything that's going on, telling him to stay out of it. Sure, he's being stupid, but then again, he's twelve, and we've seen adult characters do a lot stupider on this show. I don't know, it all looks plausible to me. Now we'll see if Rick decides to deal with it (I'm assuming Lori's clueless as ever) or if he tries to "protect" him even more.
Randall is a psycho. During small talk with Daryl he said: two really sweet girls. And his eyes started sparkling (good acting) like he really enjoyed some quality time with one or both of them.

Sick guy (not in a good way) has to be killed and I hope he kills CARL before Rick can kill him (there is a substitute in Loris belly) So Rick turns into a evil version ofShane, and starts a war against the OTHERS (of course the others leader is Locke (from LOST)).

And then the Zombies are the ones, running away scared

cause Locke is under their bed, eating away the bread.

(bad rhymes for all the Carl lovers now its to late to run for covers)

My name is not Santorum but I still approve this message.

Sorry for wasting not your entire time, but Im sick in the brain and long is gone my train.
Really? You still like Carl?

He (the character obv) is the first kid on a TV show that I want the writers to KILL off. All I was thinking in the scene with the zombie in the woods was "please bite him, please bite him".

I did not see Dale getting killed though, but maybe it's a good thing. The show might be better for it, even if I liked him.
"However, if The Walking Dead so much as touches a hair on Glenn's head so help me God I will hunt down those responsible and murder them myself."

high 5 Tim, so true! =]

If they "so much as touches a hair on Glenn's head..." I would stop watching. He's THE ONLY one I really root for.
It's going to be interesting how they use his death in the next episodes. Obviously it brings up the idea that the groups largest tie to the rights of the "lost civilization" is now dead, so will we see the good guys of the group use his death as a way to get better, or the baddies of the group to use it as a way to get worse?
Awesome episode though it was a bit redundant. It showed just how clouded the humanity in people can become in dark times.
Also, I kind of hate Carl. The reason is that every show seems to have this idea that kids must be stupid. I guess the idiocy was passed down from his mother - that Lori is an idiot herself. But I thought Carl was pretty cool for most of the series. Anyways, hopefully this makes him a stronger character. He doesn't have to act like an adult (his mother excluded), but he also doesn't have to be just another stupid kid.

Also, that scrawny zombie that could barely get his feet out of the mud sure has some strong arms to just rip open Dale like that. Before the zombification, he must've been one of those deformed gym rats that have huge upper torsos but skinny legs.
It was time for Dale to go! Part of me is disgusted with this show, and part of me can't stop watching, it's weird..
I love these reviews and Tim Surette does a great job I just wish he would quit putting his political opinions in them, everything else is awesome, but I find myself more often than not being mad cuz a great review was ruined because he's talking politics... This is the zombie apocalypse let's focus on make believe problems instead of the real world ones... On completely different note was anyone else hoping while Dale was dying that they would tell him the decided not to kill Randall so as to allow him some peace in his gruesome death???
I gotta say, I was on Dale's side of the Randall argument. There are many times (mostly, actually) where I side with the more cynical and maybe rational side in regards to the violence during a zombie apocalypse... but I just really didn't see the logic in Randall being that much of a threat. How does keeping him chained up in the barn = he'll run off to the friends that abandoned him and tell them all about the farm? The only explanation I can come up with is that they are all aware of their own stupidity and that they know they'd somehow botch holding a prisoner in the middle of nowhere.
I LOVE the fact that they Finally killed Dale. I understand why they kept him (the moral character) but I was hoping he'd die for so long. He was a painfully annoying character to watch. Maybe now they can leave the farm and progress the story about living in world with zombies. Finding a cure (doubt it), setting up a defendable base, showing us what the rest of the world is doing, flashbacks to How this happened and the lives before hand. I do like some of the character building that's been happening but really they need to have more action and suspense.

Lets see more cities littered with dead people, military fighting back, logical steps to advanced mankind in this new reality, not sitting at a farm for 9 episodes or so, begging to stay there like it's paradise.

I loved Jericho but this is exactly the same mistake/path that Jericho took and look what happened to it. Lets see how the government is reacting?? I like Walking Dead but lets hope it gets much more creative.

KILL CARL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have Dale come back as a zombie and have him kill carl! DUMBASS KID!! i spent hours crying with my friend cayden about how he died! i wont watch the show untill Dale kills Carl. Maybe i will just to see if he actually kills carl, i mean they killed Sophia!!!!!! also i hate to be a burden but who apointed Carol as leader??
i dislike the tv Carl as well but everyone need to start getting used to the idea that he will be around for a long time
Merle is the MVP!! He's probably grafted a chainsaw to his stump by now, and with his shotgun is killing zombies Ash style!

I would LOVE to see that!
I live in an apocalyptic world full of zombies and I don't dare even dreaming to go out in the wood, day or night, alone!!! Come on!!!
Ugh I hate Carl - wish that zombie had eaten him
A lot of arguments in this episode , even this season had a lot of loud annoying arguments plus carl was ok now he is annoying as hell as half of this fucked up cast!
Maybe I'm a bit ignorant but, who made Rick the leader???? he's so selfrighteous!!!! he's the perfect match for his wife ;(
I agree with that, I still like "Rick". But how self righteous he is kind of makes me wanna puke. If this was reality and he told me to take a second seat and bossed me around like he does to Shane.

All I could say is the end would come alot sooner for Rick.
Did you think Dale was self Righteous?
I think you catch a glimmer of nice Daryl at the end..."Sorry, brother."
" I'm still really confused about zombie behavior. So sometimes they sneak up on you and then make growling noises? Other times they're always loud? I just want some consistency, man."

Stop this , please. ZOMBIES + LOGIC = BRAINFART. And where is logic in completely uniformistic behaviour of the undead anyway ? Did they all come from North Korea or what ?!
well said!
I think Carl is still all right, "normal" you might say. Myself was such a twisted kid, I would have given anyone major chills in that zombie-world.

The whole discussion about to kill or not to kill Randall - I love it, shows like this actually make people interact and discuss some heavy sh+t. For me, I would have given R-boy a good ol' brainwash. Then you have an asset, not a liability.Total agreement with Tim on this one. Except Randall is kinda Ben Linus - then he has to go sooner than later.

Awesome review - same goes for the episode!
randall is not innocent he may claim to be but under torture and a death threat that is real anyone would lie their ass off to live.

note how he suddenly had info on his group when daryl was beatting the poo out of him, his pleading/begging slightly creepy chat with carl in the barn ?

alas poor dale gonna miss him!
Oh, and I also had a problem with the zombie's behavior in the final scene. The cow is still alive (barely) and yet the zombie's not on the ground chowing down still. (Side note: Do zombies get full? If zombies are compelled to eat live flesh, why don't they eat until their stomachs explode and then eat some more?) In the pic posted at the very top, there's nothing even remotely close to Dale in the background. Yet suddenly, the super stealthy mud zombie is standing directly behind him?
Read World War Z or Zombie Survivor Guide, Max Brooks says that their stomachs DO explode. Granted, they should, if they are dead, they are clearly not digesting anything!!!
On a note about the cow... no way that thing was still literally alive. Could be it was zombified? Might make an interesting point on what's to come. Agree with you in terms of everything else. The shot above of Dale is obviously not part of the show but an ad pic. Where's the lighting coming from? He wasn't front lit (that much) in the show. As for the zombies behaviour... it's POSSIBLE he might have been moving on from the cow to the house when Dale went passed him without knowing, but methinks it was a setup, and so much zombie-esque as plot.
Kirkman has said that there are no zombie animals... as for the zombies.. there are different kinds of them that behave in different ways this is clearly explained in the comics
I agreed with Dale insomuch as once you cross that line, you start to lose the morality that keeps you human. However, I'm also a very practical person. Neither Dale nor anyone else had a practical solution to the Randall situation other than what they were left with after Rick tried everything else in his power to save him. Ultimately, Rick is the most right. The world has changed and you have to adapt with it. There are no jails, no courts, no trials. Where Dale only saw black-and-white either you're all good or your all bad (and was the Yen to Shane's also black-and-white Yang), Rick sees shades of gray (as do I). It doesn't have to be the complete de-evolution of humanity. It can be more like the Old West - try to do what's right, but carry a gun in your holster, protect your own, and meet out quick justice with a gun or a rope until society can build itself back into something better. (Dale's question of if the group was all going to watch Randall die made me think of the public hangings of that time, as well.)

Maybe Randall is getting the short end of the stick, but in the few times we've seen Randall untied or one-on-one not crying his eyes out, he's been anything but an innocent sad sack just trying to survive. He initially tried to shoot Rick, Glenn and Hershel. He let slip that he knows where the farm is, so he's a danger to bring others back. He didn't just protect himself when he had to, he went crazy-eyed, Psycho-shower stabby on a zombie's head. He was holding back info about his heavily armed, raping and torturing friends. He tried to manipulate Carl into letting him go by saying I'll take you and your family back to my friends, forget everyone else. Given any semblance of power or leverage, he's a completely different person. The way I see it, this is probably not a good guy. And Dale completely forgot about that whole 'trying to shoot his friends" part when he argued they'd be killing him based on crimes he hadn't even committed yet.

And yet, Rick was right in not killing him at the end because he needs to deal with the little psychopath that Carl is becoming first. Oh yes, Rick and Lori get my vote for parents of the year! (sarcasm) They both are horrible, idiotic and absentee when it comes to their child. And they're going to bring another one into this mess? They're better off letting Hershel's family raise the next one.

I have trouble understanding why, instead of barking orders at him, they don't just sit down with Carl and have discussions about what's going on in the world, what's right and wrong, maintaining morality and humanity (even if you don't believe in religion anymore), and how taking someone's life should never be easy or cheered on. Maybe they will next episode, but I doubt it.

As for Randall, they should have just shot him on the fence, or better yet saved the ammo and left him to be eaten. But now they are where they are, know what they do and are left with no viable alternatives, Rick should just pull a George and Lenny on him and walk him out to the edge of the property, have him look over the farm, tell him how great the future's going to be and put a bullet in the back of his head.

RIP, Dale. You were the moral compass of the group, but also loved to beat a dead horse. Without you to morally balance out Shane, he will finally go off the rails.
I kinda hoped that this episode would go full-out 12 Angry Men and it did a little.

I was discussing with friends why zombies never made it to the farm and we decided that the bog where the zombie was stuck must completely surround the farm making it impenetrable.

It was a good episode. I'm not sure if everyone being pro-execution was realistic or not, if it is then it's a damning indictment on group mentality.

I was sure I heard T-Dog say something but I must have imagined it. Maybe next week!
'The Walking Dead is a much better show now than it was in 2011. So much better.'

Totally agree!
MUCH better!
May be true, but you can only say that having 2011 in there for reference, and more importantly, build. It is as awesome now as ever because of the 'ever' part having put it where it is.
FINALLY they killed him, he's possibly one of the most annoying characters in the show because he's completely different from the comic book.
...which makes me glad that I didn't read the comic book.
the comics are beyond awesome!
One more interesting (at least I think I'm interesting) way you can look at this is how the group has narrowed LITERALLY with Dale's death, and leading up to it. Dale was pretty much always just outside the camera frame -- the man you knew was sitting under the patio umbrella on top of the RV, guarding the outside perimeter. Even when he died the group was huddled in one room while he was on the outskirts, getting gutted. So on not only a figurative but literal lever, that outside perimeter is gone, and these people have to look and live inside.
Well said !
FYI, the cereal is named Froot Loops, not Fruit Loops. Remember, this is America, where anything sells better if its name is misspelled (or so all the marketers seem to think).

I doubt they thought it was 'better misspelled' as much as they believed the public to be phonetically challenged, and also didn't want to get sued later over there being ZERO actual fruit in it.
I don't understand why they killed off Dale he was such a important actor in the series he has the humanity not like some of the other actors ie Shane and Rick....will be interesting to see what the next few episodes are like...
It's BECAUSE of the reasons you state that he's dead. Spices up the show while putting an exclamation point on the fact that the old world is dead.
How, why, and when did rick become the leader of a group formed when he was in a hospital bed? Shane was badass in the first season leading the group and then acting as a co-leader with Rick. Now hes bowing down to Ricks repeatedly bad decisions that are going to get everyone killed.
It's never been articulated that Rick is the actual leader until now, and he only is by assumption, which Shane tried to take advantage of and still seems to be trying to change. Shane being leader would mean they are the kind of group that the 'group of 30' seem to be -- survival of the fittest at any cost. Rick is the balance, as bad as some of his decisions may be.
Carl is an annoying little twerp in my opinion. I hope he realizes this was his fault.. I don't like Dale but I didn't want him dead either! What a serious bummer. Daryl is still awesome! Shane was being awesome this episode. This was a good episode!
It's a matter of time before Carl gets his, he's obviously inherited his mother's intellect....

What I don't understand is why Daryl is hanging around with these people, is it for the companionship? Or is it to have decoys if something should go down? I'm sorry, but in the position they are in, the only logical choice would be to kill whatever that kid's name is, if he were to get out and get back to his group, that would only endanger everyone. "Civilized" has left the building and isn't coming back.

Rick needs to carry through with a decision he knows is right, or just give the gun to Shane.

As for T-Dog, I thought he was dead and that I couldn't remember when it happened. If they aren't going to use him, then get rid of him.

Load More Comments