The Walking Dead's Mid-season Finale: Gov' and Hate

The Walking Dead S03E08: "Made to Suffer"

You'd think that in a zombie apocalypse, one of the most exhilarating images would be the sight of another human being. It's the dead versus the living, after all, and despite regional differences, ethnic divisions, and sports-team affiliations, humans should be banding together to put expired humans in the ground, brainless, like they belong. Plus seeing another human, particularly one of the opposite sex, means one thing: repopulatin' awww yeah.

But the first half of The Walking Dead's third season didn't go that route, instead painting a picture of a land where only the toughest and assholest survive and creating a world full of untrusting factions where the innocent are often declared guilty until proven worthy through combat or a zombie eats their face. Whichever comes first. It makes some sense, as the further along into zombie land you go, the more the gullible get gulled into giving up their resources. It's survival of the fittest, where "fit" means being overly cautious because unearned trust could cost lives. "You can't be too careful" has never been truer.

Last night's terrific mid-season finale, "Made to Suffer," reiterated just how dark the world of The Walking Dead can be. The great showdown we expected between Rick and The Governor only sorta happened as they never faced off with each other, but the show is saving that for later. Instead, other characters mixed it up as Rick's rescue squad busted into Woodbury and stole some valuable prisoners right out from beneath The Governor's one good eye.

The episode was loaded with action and sneaking, which doesn't really lend itself to great over-the-Internet discussion, so I'll hit the parts I thought were important. I'm not gonna lie, I don't know how they got into Woodbury as easily as they did after bitching about how hard it was going to be to get in, but Michonne found a weakness in the defense and everyone just crawled through a window. Hey Governor, maybe put some security bars on buildings that you leave unsecured? If there's one thing this season could have done a bit better regarding Woodbury, it's showing the scope and security of the place. How big is it? How are the areas that aren't the front doors protected? I had it in my mind that it was damn near impregnable, but they sure impregnated that thing pretty easily. (Side note: impregnable and impregnate mean opposite-ish things! Language, you so weird.)

Tension built up during Glenn and Maggie's all-or-nothing escape bid involving the pointy end of a zombie ulna and the subsequent smoke-grenade assault by Rick to rescue them, but come on, nothing was better than Michonne snooping around The Governor's office. Their fight was one of the greatest one-on-one TV scuffles of all time! We're so used to the show concentrating on human-on-zombie violence, which basically amounts to a slack-jawed extra lumbering up to a man with an axe and getting its skull exploded, but this was visceral, primal scrappin' between two awesome characters. However, for as great as the head-smashing, choke-holding, and eye-stabbing was, the best part about their confrontation was the unexpected character development that happened just before the fight. The Governor's reaction to his zombie spawn Penny being held at katana-point (btw, THAT is how you hold someone at swordpoint, Miles Matheson of network TV's Revolution) was surprisingly disarming! He was a groveling, pleading, weak-kneed mess who finally showed that he cares for something other than himself. And then there was Michonne, who had plenty of reasons to seek revenge on The Governor in the comics, but not so much in the show. True, The Governor sent Merle and that guy with the difficult-to-pronounce name after her to kill her, so there's that, but if I'm Michonne, I'm happy just putting enough distance between me and The Governor as possible. The fact that she came all the way back just to screw with him says a lot about her character: She's kind of a spiteful one.

It's this decision of hers that's really going to come back and bite Rick in the ass. Prior to Michonne poking a hole in the back of sweet little Penny's head, the prison group was but a mere nuisance to The Governor, their name on his whiteboard with a list of other threats that needed to be checked off his to-do list at some point. In killing Penny, Michonne made things personal and elevated the total slaughter of everyone in that prison to number-one spot on The Governor's list of priorities.

The Governor wasted no time in getting revenge, either. Eye socket still oozing eyeball juice, he rallied the townfolk against the awful prison group by blaming everything on Merle. Why Merle? Well, Merle showed some weakness by displaying fondness for his brother Daryl, who is part of the prison group, instead of total allegiance to The Governor. Merle was also the man who told The Governor that Michonne was dead when he knew for a fact she was not. Next thing The Governor saw was Michonne re-killing his daughter Penny, so that's obviously going to be a sore spot, and the look he gave Merle when he asked "What happened?" after the fight nearly killed him on the spot. Luckily for The Governor, Daryl came wrapped up in a nice bow, and now we're left wondering what The Governor has planned. A Star Trek fight to the death? A public double execution? Thirty minutes in the Chair of Shame? We have to wait until February to find out, but if you hung around for the "Next on..." segment at the end of the hour then you have a basic idea. I'm guessing Daryl and Merle somehow break out of Woodbury and rejoin the prisoners, making for a really awkward reunion. If only T-Dog were still around to see his old pal Merle.

Back at the prison, we got a good look at how the world isn't all terrible times and groups waging war against other groups. A new batch of survivors stumbled upon the prison, led by Tyreese (The Wire's Chad Coleman) and consisting of a few people and some girl who will not stop screaming. I mean seriously, girl, it's been months. Do you still need to scream ALL THE TIME? She got bit, which probably increased the group's lifespan by at least 15 years. Apparently she was the mother of one of the other survivors, even though she looked like a high-school senior and could have just easily been dating her son. Point is, when she got bit, this group was not ready to put her down quickly like Rick's group would have, and young Carl was quick to make sure they were locked inside a cell.

Somehow this remains fascinating. There are individual bubbles of people developing at different rates; Tyreese and his group are slow to adjust to the harsh ways of survival whereas The Governor picked up quickly. And now look at them. Tyreese is running through the forest with a hammer in a panic and The Governor is sipping Scotch and banging blondes. Rick's group is somewhere in between, but slowly marching toward where The Governor is at. This is what The Walking Dead is doing quite well that other apocalypse shows don't. When all hell breaks loose and people get disconnected, there are no rules and no common page for survivors to be on. It's like the Galapagos Islands and the varied evolution among its resident critters. There's a clear advantage that That Walking Dead has in starting its story not long after the apocalypse, whereas the initial impulse is to start at the beginning or several years after. The greatest change among people will occur between a few months and a few years in, and that's where you'll find the most interesting stories. As The Walking Dead continues to expand its universe, it also gets to show the disparity among the evolution of survivor groups, and the show is better for it.

"Made to Suffer" didn't pack the wallop that "Pretty Much Dead Already" (zombie Sofia walking out of the barn) did as a mid-season finale, but it was a strong episode on its own. It's great prep for the inevitable battle that lies ahead and it established enough motivation to understand that these two sides will do whatever they can to finish each other off. We're no longer dealing with shades of "good guys" versus "bad guys," these two sides now straight-up HATE each other.

NOTES

– Hot damn I really appreciate how honest Axel is. He was so forthcoming about hitting on a 17-year-old girl because she was the only one not spoken for and more than a few days old. (I'd still keep a close eye on Judith just in case.) And the exchange with Carol's reaction to Axel thinking she was a lesbian and Axel realizing she wasn't a lesbian (How YOU doing?) was great. I may bum out some Daryl-Carol 'shippers, but I would not complain about an Axel-Carol coupling. Someone please get Carol in the sack! Please!

– I know this has been pointed out several times over, and personally I think it's hogwash, but dammit it continues to happen. We meet Tyreese the same episode Oscar dies? We met Oscar and not much later T-Dog dies? What is it with this show's weariness of having too many black men on-screen at the same time?

– I know I wasn't alone in waiting for Andrea to recognize the rest of her former group or even shooting one of them. It's going to be a fascinating scene when she finally realizes who's next on The Governor's murder list.

– Rick seeing Shane shooting seemed a bit unnecessary, but since I miss that guy so much I was glad to see him. What was even more unnecessary was Rick hovering over the body IN THE MIDDLE OF A GUNFIGHT. Duck or something!

Can someone please kill andrea....she is the dumbest character on television and that's saying something
Glenn is Zombie MacGyver
I'm so glad someone finally points that the fact that their seems to have a 'one in one out' rule when it comes to the black men (for now) on the show!! This was exactly my FB status when I finished watching and most of my friends agreed to! WTF is that about...I mean I love the show but be a bit realistic BLACK MEN DO RUN FASTER THAN WHITE MEN...#stoopid
yea it reminds me of the scene from blazing saddles
I think Michonne operates at a different level than most humans do: she sees a threat, she eliminates the threat. In the Gov's case, not only he was the threat but his daughter was also a zombie, should Peny have been a living girl Michonne would've never finished her like this IMO.

Since she wasn't, Michonne eliminated her before she eliminated the actual threat .
Anyone else feel like perhaps Michonne was/is a bit in love with Andrea? Or at least sees Andrea as her only remaining family? When they had their farewell, and throughout the time that Michonne was trying to get them out of Woodbury, I sensed it was largely motivated by her trying to protect dumb, easily-manipulated Andrea from the obviously-bad Governor. After Andrea got fully sucked in, and Michonne lost her love/family to the Governor, I feel like that would be ample reason to want to take everything away from the man - especially HIS only family.
...and THIS is why I'm royally cheesed at the Golden Globes!!! NO love for this show???
I wonder which one is going to tell Carol they came back home without Daryl: Glenn or Maggie.
My question is... when andrea was getting dressed after doing what she does best, she had on what looked like victoria secret undies!! youre in the middle of a zombie appocalypse WHO has time to think about feelin pretty underneath?? dont get me wrong shes a hottie but considering theyve been wearing the same clothes for eons, Id have expected either commando or somethin tattered with a worn out waistband...
Can they just kill off Andrea already? I cannot stand the sight of her stupid naive/oblivious face. And when she's not doing that face, she's doing a face like she's disgusted (should be with herself). Please, kill Andrea off.
i feel like i am in an apocalyptic world by just having to watch her stupid face
What about Michonne? She only ever has a face of "I'm not sure what's going on here, but I don't like it".
I think the rescue of Maggie and Glenn was awesome. It was like a seal-team, go in, grab the two, go out.
To bad Daryl got separated from the group.
I wonder if they are going to rescue him in a simulair way too.
I can't believe we have to wait until FEBRUARY for the next episode to come out. Let's just hope the Governor and Merle get the deaths they need and as for Andrea, she needs a really good boot up the arse to knock some sense into her.
I'm thinking Merle is as good as dead whether Daryl proves they aren't terrorist or not: it was Merle's job to kill Michonne, since he didn't kill her she got rid of Penny and the Governor is not going to forgive what was done to his zombie-daughter.
Awesome closer but the killing off of the latest black good guy and replacing him with a new black guy is a little weird. Kind of weird no ?
It upsets me that we have to wait until February for the Governor to get his head chopped off and for Andrea to get that well deserved slap.
BTW the end made me look upon the arena scene a couple of episodes back more mildly. Didn't like it then but now it works well as a stage for the Governor to instigate the townsfolk.
The Governor calling the Grimes Gang "terrorists" was a bit over the top.
However I adored this mid-season finale. It gave me a lot to look forward to in February!
I'm super excited to see the Prison Gang & the Woodbury Gang come face-to-face!
I'm also anxious to see what happens to the the Dixion brothers!
I REALLY hope Daryl doesn't die!! I don't care of Merle dies but PLEASE don't kill Daryl!!
I can't wait to see what Rick thinks of the new additions to the prison and how he deals with them. February cannot come fast enough 4 me!!
imho, using the term 'terrorist' wasn't over the top for him to say. He said it to manipulate the collective fear of the townsfolk & protect his position as a seemingly strong leader in their eyes. As the old saying goes, "One mans hero is another mans terrorist." So, just because we as viewers know Rick & the gang aren't the terrorists the Gov claims them to be, keep in mind that the townsfolk are sheltered to a fault & all they know is that they were invaded & they have no real clue who the bad guy really is.

Besides, there are numerous examples in the present day & throughout history where people in power vilify others with broad strokes for political gain, so in context of the story, it's not that much of a stretch for him to play that card.
I respect your opinion but I hold to mine. I never thought of it in that aspect before. Thanks 4 giving me a new perspective on the Governor and thanks 4 commenting on my comment I appreciate it.
This comment has been removed.
Andrea probably realized or will soon enough that the "terrorists" were her previous group when she saw Daryl.
she is so stupid....i doubt it
It's a very safe assumption that Andrea will eventually come around & realize she's being played, but are you sure she actually laid eyes on Darryl? All I saw were silhouettes obscured by smoke grenades & muzzle flashes. From her pov, they could have been anyone.
uhh.... it's pretty clear when darryl is the one in the arena with merl
Well, that's the scene I was referring to in my first comment.
heh! yeah, you're right. My bad. I totally brainfarted over that part when posting (Doh!)
Michonne is not the type to let anything go. That's what I love about her, she says very little and acts without having to explain herself. She's the best BadA$$ female on TV right now. Gov deserves way more, can't wait for the return. Oh and I liked the scruffier Myles way better than the groomed, hair dyed one that finished off the show. Argh, why do they have to make things pretty, it's a gloomy, dark time! Stupid!
Michonne rocks pity she didnt kill that biatch andrea
Michonne is the sh*t !
Totally agree. Michonne is someone u can trust to watch your back. Hope to see more of her works in future but PLEASE dun turn her into a walker. That would be a serious crime.
They would not have brought Oscar with them to this mission since he had no experience enough with the group or in this kind of situation - A cheap death based on script "needs". Aparently they thought that having two black men around would be too confusing or something. I love the show, but this is a shame.
I wish everyone would get off this "black people" subject. There is actually an appropriate amount of diversity on this show, much more than on most shows on TV. We have an Asian prominent character, had a black prominent character through over two seasons (which is much longer than the prettiest white girl lasted R.I.P. hot Amy), and now with Tyreese, we will have two prominent black characters.

As far as bringing Oscar along, they needed help, and if a strong guy that has proven himself to be trustworthy is willing to help, you take it. Oscar's death had everything to do with the fact that he was the most expendable character, and nothing to do with him being black. I'm pretty sure no one even knew his name until he was killed off, and there was such an uproar in the past couple of days. I don't remember anyone crying when ole what's his face got eaten in the RV in the season 2 finale. He was expendable. You could argue that Axel is expendable too, and could have taken his place, but Axel was by far the longest surviving prisoner in the comic, so it was the natural selection to have him live.
More +
Sorry, not buying it, not this time - mainly because I really don´t like to have this kind of thing coming to my mind when I am watching a tv show (and happens so often, and not just to me). It is a great show, that manages to surprise us in very good ways too. But that just makes it more strange to me when they something like this happens. So this time I go with the trending topic of the week.
You're right. I can totally see the writer's room now.

Writer: Ok, so we are going to bring Tyreese in, and he and Oscar are going to be friends.

Producer: NO!!! Only one black male at a time! Kill off Oscar!
I think that a brave show should be able to defy those studies and try to get people to identify with new models. It's not so long time ago that interracial couples simply didn´t exist in TV or movies (except if that was the subject of the movie). Now this has changed and it is almost mandatory to have one in every show. I don´t think the show is racist. I think they follow strange rules and that is visible and clicks in your head when you are watching a great episode, and makes it less great.
Not sure why I can't reply to you, safibwana, but you make an interesting point. It's also a much better argument than "The Walking Dead is racist!"

I agree that these types of studies should be updated. I think for the most part, today's youth and young adults has no problem identifying with anyone, whether they be black, white, asian, male, female, gay, straight, or any other type of distinction.
Close. More like:
writer: we're gonna kill off Oscar
producer: then you must bring in Tyreese in the same episode

Your mistake was in assuming there was ever a thought of having two black men on the show. The assumption in Hollywood is that all men will be white, then the producers maintain the minimum level of minorities they think they can get away with while not being called racist.

I'm not making this up. They did studies and determined that minorities can identify with white characters but that white men can't identify with minorities. Also, women can identify with male characters and not vice versa. This means that the character that the most people can identify with is the white male, so that's always the default. Is any of that true anymore? Don't know, their market studies could probably stand an update. Same thing happened with the election. Most experts, even within the Republican party, agree that they failed to account for the changing demographics in the United States.
Not to poke holes in a zombie apocalypse shows, but if scratches and bites cause infections then how does ripping apart a zombie not dangerous? Especially when Glenn has multiple wounds and thus his blood can easily get infected. Even without wounds, somehow the blood could get in the system, and then sayonara.

So what's the actual infection protocol in this show? You can bathe in zombie blood filled bathtubs as long as there was no actual bite or scratch, right? :)
yes i wondered about that and also wouldn't the water be contaminated by so many dead bodies
Doctor Jenner established two seasons ago that they are all carriers, it doesn't matter if they cover in guts or bathe in zombie blood, everyone is already infected: someone gets a heart attack and comes back a zombie.

There's nothing to do about it
By infected I meant get the fever and start turning in minutes. The question was whether they get the fever and die from bites only or from scratches too.
It was already established that bites cause deadly infection too, the scratches were an excuse Rick used to explain zombies without a bite mark until he was caught.
I have heard other references to scratches
You may have a good point here. Unless there were other mentions of scratches, I can't remember
haha.. i thought the same thing. well if you gonna talk about inconsistency how does smearing yourself in walker viscera hide you? I mean, walkers don't breath, their organs are rotting to bits and loads of em are missing their noses.. So how do they smell you?
Also, with the amount of chopping zombies they do they must get some of the blood/bodily fluids in their mouths/eyes/nose; and then in the fight with the guv Michonne grabs that glass shard from the tank that contained loads and loads of heads. Wouldn't there be saliva germs or whatever on that shard then?
... then how do the heads make the groaning noises?
then.. how the hell do the zombies exist in the first place!.. Really, we're watching a show where the main premise has got to be the biggest inconsistency so I kind of just go with it, enjoy and laugh when I see scenes that make me think 'hang on a minute!'
what about when glen and maggie were been intimate whilst covered in zombie blood...eeww
I'm just starting to assume that the fever simply comes from the magic ritual of a bite and/or something else if the writers feel like killing someone off. It's like summoning a demon in Supernatural - you may have all the ingredients and the magic text but without the magic ritual of saying the words out loud no demon will be summoned :)
As I recall, on THIS zombie show no one has been infected from scratches. Only bites. Which leaves me to think it has to do with the saliva. We've seen people splattered with walker blood and yet not infected.
They are all already "infected". The bites just cause a fever that kills them faster. Maybe it's the combination of the saliva plus the infection that causes the fever, and it has nothing to do with the walker blood at all.

I know they've mentioned scratches before, but I can't think of anyone who has actually gotten the fever from one.
Hmmm. Somewhere I remember scratches. Maybe The Walking Dead game then.. Those two might have different rules I guess..
I think they've mentioned scratches on the show, but I'm not sure.
Rick said so to cover Jenner's secret when Sophia died, but she could've died of heat exhaustion and she would've become a zombie anyway.
We don't know for sure if the big black guy was infected from the back stab. Tomas killed him before we can find out.

Back in se2 when Rick and Shane went to that place to drop off Randall, they stumbled upon 2 security guards that had no apparent bite marks. Rick says that it must be from scratches just to keep Shane from second guessing because at the time Rick knew the real truth about turning no matter how ppl die.
Actually, a lot of us are asking the same question for a long time: In season 2&3 they have zombie-blood all the time in their nostrils and mouths. Don't they get the fever?

Only explanation, the fever is caused by saliva. but, when they found the prisoners early on S3, the big black guy was back-stabbed by a zombie that ripped apart it's arm and stabbed him with its hand. Rick said he had to go because he is infected now, so weird...

However in 1x02, where Rick and Glenn were covered in zombie blood, Rick was telling everyone "Don't let it go in your skin and eyes". So, what's up with zombie blood?
I still don't get what Andrea sees in the Governor that she doesn't see in Merle. Just look at him meeting his brother!
I think the show is allergic to more than one male black character. Oscar choosing to go on the rescue mission instead of Axel marked him as a dead man and the news of Tyreese's intro to the show put the nail in his coffin.
Tim! I thought the exact same thing about Michonne getting her "revenge".. I felt that there wasnt much of a reason for it! If what happened to her in the comics happened here, then it wouldve made more sense..

Also SOOO glad they decided to finally bring in Tyreese!
It was established that the governor was coming for the prison long before the loss of his eye and his daughter so missed the ball on that one Tim. The Rick hallucination even after Talking Dead I have no ideal wtf that was about. It was dumb and pointless unless it was to get the convict killed to make room for our new characters.
It wasn't dumb and pointless. They are showing us that Rick is going crazy, or at least partially losing it. First he hears voices on the phone, then he sees Shane. All those deaths, especially Lori's, are really getting to him.
I think the point was to cause Rick to pause long of enough for "Shane" to get a kill shot in on Oscar. Now that we have Tyrese, Oscar had to die, and now it's technically Rick's fault because his inability to take action is what allowed Oscar to get shot.
Did Andrea not see Daryl at the end?
I think time was referring to during the shootout why didn't Andrea recognize anyone.
This comment has been removed.
Another good episode. Didn't have a WOW factor like S2 mid-season finale but kept the story going to the next level (which was about time since I think we had enough of this less-than-full-throttle contest between Woodbury and Team Prison)

However I will never get used to how characters can go from killing machines to "ask first" mode within seconds: Maggie killed a guy with a zombie bone but instead of killing Merle - who btw was trying to kill yer boyfriend - immediately she tells him to stop. The Governor enters with a gun, he is behind Michonne who is threatening his daughter but noooo, he want shoot first because he's such a good sport after all, he'll shout, giving Michonne time to put Penny between herself and the Governor
Everybody did a nice job at the rescue operation, except for Oscar, who was clumsy enough to die.
However, I think episode MVP goes to Carl. That little dude made all the right calls, was a badass shooter, saved some people, offered to kill one of their own to stop her from turning and was right in not trusting the new gang but still helping them. Way to go Carl!

Also, this episode kinda feels like the gang from Left 4 Dead meeting the gang from Left 4 Dead 2 :)
A Great episode and definitely a suspenseful mid-season finale. This show is awesome. Some things could have been slightly better but these people seem like they know what their doing in producing this show!
I found the mid-season finale very underwhelming. Other than Michonne's fight with the Governor, nothing else seemed to carry much weight. And for the love of God, I don't know why she hasn't mentioned Andrea yet! Another dick move, Michonne! I knew nobody of importance would be killed. Merle and Daryl will escape soon enough. The totally impenetrable area got penetrated so easily. The random walking on the street while there was a hail of bullets was very cheesy. But hey, every show does that and besides, we had Shane appear! So, I'm cool with that. Overall, it was just was an alright episode.

- Axel! Axel! Oh, poor Axel! He wants to be on my bad side. Stop being a pedo, dude!

- The show has a clause which makes it very hard to have more than one black man in a episode. Lol. They really don't like them.

- Andrea is a moron. That ship has long sailed.

- Shane and his badass beard made Rick's stupidity worth it!
I like you Tim Surette! I love your reviews! Thanks
The past two episodes I've been waiting for Michonne to mention Andrea to Rick's group seeing as how Andrea spent 8 months with her I'm sure the names have come up but I can understand if it didn't and therefore she has no reason to. What I can't understand is the face off between Michonne and Andrea, and Michonne not saying anything to Andrea. That made no sense at all. A simple "Hey the gov kidnapped some people and we're just trying to rescue them" was really all that was needed. Also, how did Andrea see that Oscar was wearing a prison jumpsuit through all the smoke, but not see anyone she recognized who were standing 3 feet from him. Oooooh TV...
I love Michonne, but her not talking is really starting to piss me off. Things would be so much better if she only take 30 sec to explain whast going on.
Right. That was a major problem with the previous episode, but since she didn't tell them then, I thought it was pretty obvious that she wasn't going to tell them in this one.
Well, no... Michonne was totally there just to kill the Governor, otherwise she would have stayed with Rick's group. However, she *could* have mentioned how he had sent Merle and 3 others to kill her after she left.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS TO THE WRITERS ON REVOLUTION THANK YOU.
No. I don't agree with this at all. The greatest changes can occur at any time. There's an imminent war brewing on Revolution when all hell will definitely break loose. That makes the show have two such scenarios - including the blackout - which is even more interesting because many had changed drastically due to the blackout and had turned into a bunch of survivors, soldiers and self-anointed leaders and had eased into a lifestyle after more than a decade. But now, they have to change again in the face of a possible war. Revolution's fall finale was awesome and there's a very real possibility that the show will build on the last episode.
What better time than for a reboot then? All I`m asking is that they make it a little more realistic. I hate to keep refering to The Walking Dead but look at Glenn after his beating while tied to a chair. He looks like he took a beating. Then we have Miles who took a beating in a chair, he looked like he just got out of a barbar`s chair nice hair, shaved and all. No marks other then a trickle of blood from his nose.

I would be surprised if this show lasts more than 2 seasons at this rate. It`s just not that great. Having said all that I really want it to succeed I do, but I have a feeling it won`t.

Who knows, now that they have reached their destination and rescued everyone the story will go in a different direction, I just hope it` the right one.
... That ship has sailed? The setting has already been established, so there's no real way of neatly turning back the clock to just after the power went out. Best bet would be to basically do a spin-off.
This episode was pretty good, but it's getting way overrated. Besides for the kickass fight between Michonne & the Gov, it was kinda lacking. The character that dies (didn't even know his name at the time) was the least important, and who didn't see that coming from a mile away?

The episode starts with the Gov having 2 prisoners (maggie & glenn), and ends w/ him having 2 prisoners (daryl & capt'n dagger). Ok fine, Rick's group wont care about merle, but they rescued 2 people, only to lose someone as valuable! Yeah there a huge gunfight, but it seemed more ceremonial than anything else...

P.S. To the shmohawks who refuse to post the word **spoilers** Show some etiquette! La dee da, you read the books, we get it.

I did not. and I dont want to know who will live for 2 more seasons at least, or whose epic showdown you can't wait to see (actual things I came across by accident). I read all the ASOIAF books, but I dont talk about stuff that didnt happen yet, cuz its a dick move.. Seriously. Fuck.
I just started reading the comics, and honestly, the comics spoilers only matter if you ever plan on reading the comics. The basic story premise, major characters, and settings are the same, but honestly, the rest of the story is so different that comic spoilers mean nothing at this point.
Exactly. The similarities end with Jim and Amy. In the comics:

Dale lived longer and died differently.
Hershel never lost a leg
Shane died sooner and differently
Otis lived longer and died differently.
Patricia lived longer and died differently.
Lori lived longer and died differently.
Andrew died differently
Donna died sooner and differently
Merle doesn't exist
Daryl doesn't exist
Andrea is not an idiot and didn't fall into bed with Shane and the Gov
Sophia isn't dead
T-Dog didn't exist
Jacqui didn't exist
Tomas didn't exist

There are just way too many differences between the books and the show to legitimately cry about "spoilers" without someone accusing you of being a WATB. Sorry, but talking about the books on here is just another form of speculation at this point
agree, but the thing about the similarities is that even with the differences we still dont know if one day they'll use the comic arcs and how much they will use. Look at us speculating about the Ben/Billy arc! I don't like to be specific when I talk about the comics unless its to someone who reads them too as I might mention a plot arc or death in the comic the next someone will be cursing me for spoiling it in the show.

lol 'Andrea is not an idiot and didn't fall into bed with Shane and the Gov' -- yeah but in the comic she gets it on with Dale and his old wrinkly balls!
But the key word is "speculating." It's not like we can go "Oh, it's Ben! You guys are in for a twisted treat!" If anything, I'd say being familiar with the source material limits us. My friend who never read the comics guessed that Sophia was going to be inside the barn before the episode aired, while I was completely floored by the reveal because I was so certain they wouldn't kill off Sophia so soon since her character is still alive in the books.

For example, we have no idea what they're planning to with Allen because in the comics, he was the one whose ankle got nommed on while clearing out the prison and had to get his leg amputated, but Hershel has already filled that post.
Lol, ok ok...
This comment has been removed.
"Rick seeing Shane shooting seemed a bit unnecessary, but since I miss that guy so much I was glad to see him. What was even more unnecessary was Rick hovering over the body IN THE MIDDLE OF A GUNFIGHT. Duck or something! "

i agree, the shane thing is just showing how rick is still mental. we thought he was ok after the phone call thing, but not so much.

also yes, DUCK! i was yelling at the screen. "DUCK u dummy!"
At first, I thought that Tyreese's group and Rick's group had been living on opposite sides of the prison at the same time and didn't know it (seeing as it took them a few days to find Carol, perhaps the group hadn't cleared out the entire place just yet), but then I was like, "Oh, wait. No. Nevermind."
What a brilliant way for Governor to plant Meryl as a spy within Rick's group.
No way. Merle knows what the Governor is like. Even if it *is* planned, I'd take my chances with Rick's group or just strike out on my own. The Governor bridge is burned.
Merletinez.
Great episode. Glad that Daryl will survive that Gladiator-ish mess according to "Next on") I guess Rick and the others will throw granades to smoke everything out and to help Daryl to escape. Almost everything suits me in first half of this season. except lame storyline they gave to Andrea. I think she is not that dumb and not that willing to give her guard up so easily after so mush survival shit she'd been through with Michonne. And I'm not sure that it was necessary for Andrea to stick around Woodbury and give up to Gov's sociopathic charm only just for twist of realizing that Gov gonna kill her group of people. and why didn't Michonne never tell about Andrea in Woodbury to Rick? I don't get her at all.
The Shane bit was indeed a bit ridiculous, how did he NOT get shot?? Tyreese finally won musical chairs as the big black dude of the group. And by the way, how did the governor know Darryl was Merles brother? He knew that his brother was one of the others but still, did Merle carry a pic around or something?
Well I'd assume that Darryl asked for Merle... He seemed pretty conflicted about leaving without seeing Merle & even said he wanted to try talking to him to see if they could work something out. I'm guessing he probably asked for Merle not realizing how ruthless the Governor was.
They were shooting at him. how can he go up to one of them like 'hey, have u seen my bro? miss him big time, gimme his whatsapp plz'. but I guess he could have tried to threaten one of them into telling them where merle was, makes more sense.
or he got captured somehow... and then asked for merle.. I dunno, either way I was pretty shocked he got captured anyway.
I KNOW! just for the sake of letting us bite our nails off until february.
Merle may have described Daryl to the Governor, or perhaps Gov's men captured Daryl and Merle noticed they had him in custody and informed Gove, or Merle even saw ahead of time and ordered the capture). Don't forget, Merle and Gov have a deal that Daryl is not to be harmed, so I'm sure Gov was well filled in on details to distinguish Daryl.
The rest of the group was shouting "Darryl" when he was staying behind to cover them. One of the Governor's people probably heard that and told the Gov. I'm sure Merle has mentioned Darryl by name before to him
I would say that probably Darryl was interrogated before he was brought out or Darryl himself told them that he stayed back to see his brother.
why would Darryl say that? he's not the most talkative person anyway, or maybe he was indeed searching for Merle and asking around or something..
people act differently/emotionally when it comes to family, I think that was the reason.
Wow, I just realized who the rest of Tyrese's group is! I'm so slow... the woman's name was Donna, the guy was Allen, and the kid's name was Ben! I guess I was thrown off by the absence of Billy, but they're all characters from the book, minus Sasha. Plus, Donna was killed off rather quickly for an established character. I wonder why they shied away from having a zombie bite Donna's face off like they did in the books?
Okay, so now that we've established who most of these people are...

warning: possible spoilers!!

Is anyone else concerned that they introduced Ben and not Billy? I mean, they made him significantly older in the show, and Billy's not around, so maybe they won't explore that... particular arc? I'd feel a bit better if it was Billy instead of Ben though... just in case.
that arc might be a bit too grim....but they could easily have another character take the place of Billy, especially with Ben being much older it would be easier to do without a backlash against the show and it would probably still work with TV Carl.
Exactly! Thus my concern about it being Ben instead of Billy. I'm really worried about Beth now. She'll probably gravitate towards him since they appear to be close in age, and he might enact an amalgam of the Ben/Billy and Julie/Chris plots.
Yeah, true especially with the comics track on Hershels daughters.. Good chance the plot is being considered but how they do it will be interesting. DIdnt think about that but would be interesting if they do Julie/Chris with them although Beth changed her mind about you know what already and I don't think Hershel has character for it (assuming he survives season 3!). If they do either it'll be the darkest arc so far which might be too much. I think they might tone it down for TV
First of this is meant as a joke and im sorry if people take offence, but does it seem like the black people in The Walking Dead are like red shirts in Star Trek.

Also im glad they brought Tyreese into the series, his scene in the comic in the prison gym, great, as was his meeting with the governor. I just hope they show it in the series
Why take offense, it's a valid observation. At first I thought they were playing around with the old black-guy-horror-movie cliche but now I'm not so sure anymore. It's certainly odd. Maybe they're more afraid to show the murdering of black zombies? I remember the game Resident Evil 5 being called racist by some because of that. Whatever their issue is, I think dancing around it causes more confusion and controversy for viewers than just going for it.
could easily say same for asian characters.. I can only recall one apart from Glen and he got killed pretty quick. I think its just coincidence. Plenty of white people getting killed and if it were the case there would be much fewer white deaths... I liked T-Dog and didnt want him to die but he wasn't in the comic and I thought he was there in place of Tyreese as he was similar in some ways so hopefully his death was to allow Tyreese to be brought in properly and Tyreese will be in a while. I hope they show a lot of things from the comic wrt Tyreese and not all just yet anyway.... They haven't killed Morgan and I read they might bring him back too!
Bizarro Glen from Woodbury? He lasted a while.
Yep, the Woodbury asian.. I wouldn't call brief appearances in 3 episodes a while...!
This is the first time Daryl and Merle have actually been on the screen at the same time (not counting Daryl's halucinations from season 2). The trailer for next season showed way too much. AHHHHHH!!!!!! I wanted to NOT know what happens!!!!!!!!
I liked Andrea last season, but this season I can't stand her
I hated Carl last season, but now he is starting to be pretty awesome.
I love it that tv shows always give me someone to hate.
Man, I hated Carl SO HARD in season 2. Seriously, I think he's the first child on a tv show that I've WANTED to bite it. I seem to have all of a sudden stopped hating him around the time he put a bullet in his mom's head. :)
The action scene between Rick's group and the Governor in the middle was unlike anything I've seen in this show. Made me feel like I was watching 24.
Oh, and I almost forgot... did anyone else find it funny that they turned down Carl's offer to put a bullet in Donna so that they could instead BASH HER SKULL IN WITH A HAMMER?!

I can appreciate wanting to take care of your own, but in this case, I think I would have made an exception...
Jepp, I was laughing hard and thinking: "NO don't make it as hard as possible, don't take the silenced 9mm to be quick and clean, TAKE THE HAMMER INSTEAD."
LOL!
If she had just died, then it doesn't matter what they use. And it looked like she had just died. I just don't get why. There wasn't enough time for the infection to kill her. Maybe blood loss, but I don't think she was bleeding enough.
Some people succumb faster than others? Amy died pretty quickly from her bite, but Jim hung on for a couple of days.

As for not mattering, I respectfully disagree. It might not matter to Tyrese and Sasha, but Allen was her husband and Ben was her son. I would rather my mom have a neat little entrance wound than have her face bashed in. It's the same reason why we embalm our relatives, dress them up, and arrange them carefully in overpriced boxes rather than just toss their bodies in a hole.
I know! Does it matter who does it, when there's a more humane way to do it?!

Though I understand why the writers didn't want Carl to kill another woman after Lori. Plus it gave Carl plenty of time to lock them in.
And he offered to do it like it was no big deal too. Just another day shooting the dead in the head.
This comment has been removed.
Ahhh such a great episode! OK first things first, we all know Darryl isn't going to die. But am I alone in wishing the great reunion of DarMer was a little cooler? I mean a fight to the death ring is cool, but I think they missed out on an interesting opportunity to have Darryl forced to chose between joining Merle/The Governor and... death I guess, after he was left behind. I dunno, Merle and the Rick group has just been done already. We know how that ends: handcuffed to a rooftop. Darryl and Merle and Woodbury, though, that was a brand new situation.

If I was Carol in that convo with Axel, I would have been like "Nope, not a lesbian, but as far as you're concerned I might as well be!" cuz that dude is gross. And she's got Darryl anywho. Sorry, I don't care how long you've been in prison- don't go hitting on young teenage girls if you're over twice her age with a mustache that screams 'sexual predator!'. Sigh. I used to like you, Axel :(
There's been a while since i read the comics, but I thought TV-Axel was supposed to be comics-Thomas, because comics Axel is like the completely opposite of TV-Axel, cause that guy is CREEPY. Axel from the comics was like a big teddy bear(maybe a bit perverted, but nothing like how TV-Axel comes off).
I think your memory of Thomas is a little skewed by the events that transpired. Until he started killing people, Thomas actually came off as quiet and nice, and if you'll recall, they actually suspected Dexter of the killings at first. If anything, I'd say Tomas was the amalgam of Thomas and Dexter.
Rather than Gov forcing Daryl to choose between Merle/Gov and Rick's group, I believe he's using this opportunity to carry out his plan to plant Merle as a spy within Rick's group. Gov probably pulled Merle aside, filled him in on the plan, and threatened his (and his brother's) life if the plan doesn't go well since he's already steamed at Merle over the botched assassination of Michonne.
I think the Governor denouncing Merle as a traitor was actually him needing a scapegoat to blame the whole break in on, so Woodburians wouldn't think Woodbury was just unfortified (and it is, since Rick & Co got in easily). He had to blame someone for letting them in, rather than admit that the town's not secure.
Oh, I forgot about that. No, then I definitely think he's casting Merle off for lying to him about Michonne. His lie cost him an eye AND his zaughter.
As Axel pointed out, options are limited. Plus, you know he hasn't gotten laid in over a year. Can't blame him for considering what's available.
I can blame him for acting on it and being a general skeeze! Man, she's 17 (srsly though I thought she was like 14 for the last two seasons?) and he nasty. Axel should find a nice human lady his own age- Carol, if she's into it!
Plus, the dude was in PRISON. Lack of impulse control is probably what landed him in there, so being skeezy and hitting on the girl probably was his version of showing restraint.
I think it just shows the blurring of moral lines as well as the fact that he hasn't got laid in over a year. I'd be more concerned if he forced himself on her as you know he doesnt stand a chance otherwise!
There's no way he'd try that. If he tried anything, there's absolutely no way he'd get away with it, and he knows how Rick handled Tomas and Andrew. He'd pretty much have to "hit it and quit it," and we already know he's not interested in taking his chances outside.
He probably thought it was interesting because she'll be legal in under a year? I don't know. I'm more concerned that he managed to maintain a creeperstache with no power. How do they all manage to shave?! Eversharp razor blades?!
I think we saw people take care of the lawns in Woodbury, but excellent point--the grass in the prison yard should have been overgrown.
Herchel is the only one who has really shown the passage of time. His hair is longer and he has a beard. Everyone else's hairstyle and beards (or lack of beards) are frozen in time...and we never see any of them grooming themselves.

On a related note - who the heck is cutting all of the grass everywhere!? Some of these places should have knee high weeds and grass by now.
Axel vs Darryl.. Hmmmmm the tough choices...
What happened to the "Episode MVP" poll, Tim? I'm pretty sure Carl would have owned. But Glenn would have been a close second because: ZOMBIE BONE SHIVS!
Glenn reaaally showed some balls in these last episodes. He has shown the true meaning of doing whatever you have to do to survive. For a small man, he has become rather dangerous/intimidating.
By the way, that lady was living on borrowed time. I have no idea how she survived that long.
The best part of the episode is how everyone is a one shot zombie killing machine, but when it comes to people they can’t hit the broad side of a barn.
As for black people in TWD, this is Georgia. Shouldn't the population be almost half black? They don't even have a good distribution of black zombies.
Fun facts:
Percent of Atlanta population in 2010 that was Black : 54%
Percent of Georgia population in 2010 that was Black : 30.5%
Year of U.S. Census: 2010
Year The Walking Dead started: 2010
Two quick points about your notes, Tim:

1. Michonne actually stated in previous episode that the town was secure from walkers, but Rick's group could their way.

2.The Governor wanted to take out the prison before Michonne showed up. Recall that earlier in the episode, he told Merle he wanted to take out the survivors in the prison and let the biters move back in because the prison was the perfect place to hole up. Basically, the prison is a threat to what Woodbury represents for him. Same reason why he massacred the National Guard. There was never going to be a peaceful resolution from the Governor's end--it's just that now, Rick's group is on the same page.
Load More Comments