The X Factor: Are You Happy With the Top 3?

Last night's The X Factor began with the show's continued tradition of a group song, which was thankfully performed live after past controversy in the U.K. version of the series over lip synching. Take a quick look:

Then came this week's big surprise as Fifth Harmony was declared safe for next week. They needed this more than any of the other act and Simon, naturally, wasn't even standing behind them. Just when we thought it couldn't get any better, we were treated to Britney's reaction, which. was. amazing. Here's the video:

Given the remaining acts, nearly any elimination would have been shocking. Carly Rose Sonenclar, only 13 years old and clearly the most talented. Tate Stevens, bound to be a new country music act even without the X Factor title. And Emblem3, rumored to be Simon's top priority for a record contract. Still, we didn't expect to see Emblem3 sent home. They probably would have stood a better chance in audience voting than Fifth Harmony next week, but it's easy to imagine their fourth-place finish won't matter to their career trajectory. In fact, it could mirror the third-place finish of unstoppable phenomenon One Direction in 2010's U.K. edition.

So what's next as we head in to next week's finale episodes? In the past, the show has brought in high-profile stars for the finalists to perform with, so let the speculation begin and think big. Adele for Carly Rose? Kenny Chesney for Tate Stevens? Carly Rae Jepson for Fifth Harmony?

Our Educated-Guess Rankings

3. Fifth Harmony – Here's your underdog.

2. Carly Rose Sonenclar – We haven't felt the same about Carly's chances the last two weeks, but she's got the highest ceiling of all the contestants. Don't forget, she's the only one who has truly wowed the judges with challenging songs.

1. Tate Stevens – Country music fans continue to turn out for Tate. But will they stay loyal?

QUESTIONS:

1. Did you enjoy Thursday's performances from Bridgit Mendler and Bruno Mars?

2. Did you see the Emblem3 elimination coming?

3. Does Fifth Harmony stand a chance next week?

4. What famous acts would you like to see perform with the finalists?

Carly should have come in first or second, not third. the girl group is not that good.
emblem 3 should have made it. The look on Simons face clearly showed that this wasnt the group he wanted to go to the finals with. Tate will win this. Carly has a great voice she will have a career however she ruined 2 great songs by changing them too much. Tate will win this.
Not a fan of Britney's music but that look along just made me a fan...that was hilarious.
I think a lot of people are already writing Fifth Harmony off. These girls have a huge fanbase, and if they can perform like they did in "anything could happen" they definitely have a shot a winning.
Britney's reaction needs to be a .gif. Like, right now please.
I am an older voter, and I voted for Carly, but I will buy albums from all three finalists when they become available. I love all three styles of music represented. Maybe people should broaden their musical tastes because most music has something to offer, although some more than others. Carly, in my opinion, is the pop equal to Jackie Evancho, and look where her music has taken her. As difficult as it is to imagine, some people do not like Jackie's singing, even though she can sing anything, and has proven it.
I think 5th Harmony can win this whole thing next week and of the top 3 I think they are the ones that should.
I loved both the groups a lot and decided if one fell I'd support the other one for the win
Emblem3 :'( :'(
Britney's reaction was justa thing of brilliance. I nearly pissed myself.

Carly - a 13 year old girl who sings songs that she would never be able to be marketed with because as good as she sings, no one will take her seriously. She is talented but it is not her time, not that i think she has a time. She is not as likable as they tell her she is, shes barely a teenager who sings about stuff she has never experienced.

Tate - he just sings country and the United States loves country. Plus, he always talks about his wife and that makes voters think he's nice and vote for him.

Fifth Harmony - the only contestant who has actually improved throughout the competition. I could do without a few of them and I think the others should pursue a solo career but nonetheless, they are the only ones who really deserve it. Some of their voices are exquisite, better than the other two contestants.
I agree about the sounds that Carly sings. but she has an amazing voice, out of this world amazing, but is she connectable... NO. I wish her all the best and I would probably buy her album.

Tate: I have loved since day ONE, I call him my white husband because I do no date white guys but he has changed my mind. LOL. I love Country music so naturally I love him. I don't want to see him win though.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Fifth Harmony!!!! Ever since the judges houses I was on their side. I was blown away with their song and how they sang it. I do believe they deserve to win!!!!

Honestly, Carly isn't gonna generate as many sales and Tate is amazing but he sounds like every other county singer. But the question is can he write a good song. that is the only way he is gonna make it.
That is such a stupid comment. Carly is singing to show what she is capable of. Whenever she starts her career, she will write songs about her experiences and thoughts. If nobody is taking her seriously why is she always on the top spots? Seriously, you need to think before you write.

PS: Older individuals are not the only ones voting. Most of the fans are Teens, and if you don't believe that watch the show and look at the audience.
This comment has been removed.
Maybe she's not marketable to YOU, but considering she's never fallen out of the top two on this show (and I'm willing to wager she was NOT in third last night) demonstrates that others want to hear her sing. I'd go to a show of hers just to hear her sing, well, anything, really.
people that vote, are statistically, older individuals. Most of the young audience does not vote. If you have not notice, Melanie Amaro "wanted to be heard" (according to your thoughts since she did get the most votes), they have not found a way to market her. All those people that get her to the top two are not going to buy her album, a very small percentage will. She needs to be able to appeal to others.
I don't believe that you can prove this statistically because you don't have a large enough sample. You also didn't define, "older." Probably, younger people will be more likely to use cell phones to vote with apps. It is almost impossible to get a call through. I voted online.
melanie amaro sucks cuz she doesnt have her own style like carly does
What proof do you have, though, that older viewers, and not younger, are voting? How are you defining "older"? I'm not attacking you, I'm just interested in your parameters and bases.

It's true that Melanie Amaro hasn't done much since winning--but also be aware that, with VERY few exceptions, the winners of these shows don't get their careers going for quite a while. A single year isn't really that long to determine whether Amaro will have ample success. One Direction (who I don't actively follow) were on X Factor in 2009--or maybe 2010--in Britain, and are just now getting huge, really. It does take time, often.
The theory that only older viewers vote will be put to the test if Fifth Harmony survives another week...
MOST are older, and there is a possibility of older people voting for them, they are 5 talented girls. And it's not a theory, it is proven.