The X Factor can be quite cruel, and in the opening moments of Thursday's show, Paige Thomas got the boot following Wednesday's decision to Rickroll the audience with a performance of Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up." Frankly, for song choice alone, America made the right decision. But there's also the fact that Paige failed to really impress on stage, despite Demi's attempts to dramatically stage her performances.
Mario introduced the evening's sing-off: Vino Alan vs. Diamond White. Vino was a bit of a surprise following three straight #3 finishes in the audience vote rankings. As you may recall, Diamond returned to the competition after having been eliminated because the judges (Simon) decideded that a mistake had been made. In the weeks that followed, Diamond did quite well, so her drop from fifth place (out of eight contestants last week) was surprising.
Before we get to the decision, let's take another look at the performances...
With elimination on the line, Simon voted to boot Vino. To L.A.'s credit, he seemed genuinely upset, calling Vino family.
Top 6 Power Rankings
6. Diamond White - hanging on by a thread now.
5. Cece Frey - with her leopard spots back in play, Cece survives! What say you, America—will feisty Cece keep this going?
4. Fifth Harmony - while they've stayed consistent, the girls really need a breakout performance if they're going to survive much longer.
3. Emblem3 - moving up one spot, they still feel like a threat to win it all if Tate Stevens' legion of country fans loses its loyalty.
2. Tate Stevens - he always seems genuinely terrified that this could be the week he's going home. And for that, we love him.
1. Carly Rose Sonneclar - despite the manufactured drama, we're all pretty sure Carly's got this competition on lockdown right?
"Let's do it live!" Our favorite judge and host moments of the night
– Britney rocked a revealing suit and a fedora, which gave us flashbacks to the glory days. Remember?.
– Khloe's mic cut out for an extended period of time following Vino's elimination. Several weeks into these live shows, you'd think Fox must be a little annoyed with these glitches.
– Mario channeled Nate Silver once again, claiming that only one percent of the votes seperated the top three acts and that one tenth of one percent separated Tate and Carly Rose. Impressive.
1. What happened to Vino's fans and where did he go wrong?
2. Will Fifth Harmony ever crack the Top 3?
3. Will Emblem3 ever crack the Top 2?
4. Do you believe in a Cece miracle?