This vs. That: The Winter Olympics or the Summer Olympics?

You may have noticed that a little something called the Winter Olympics is pretty much all that's on TV these days—most networks are refusing to air new programming against the 2014 Sochi Games, so if you're not prone to Olympic Fever, I hope you're making good use of the time to keep working your way through our Great Midseason TV Cram. Me, I'll watch pretty much every Olympics event I have time for (NBC's annoying "curated" coverage be damned), but it's been brought to my attention by one Kaitlin Thomas that "the Winter Olympics suck and only the Summer Olympics are worth watching." Obviously I disagree because I love gymnastics and high jump and trampoline and diving, but I also love figure skating and curling and holy hell some of the new Slopestyle competitions are pretty impressive! And you know what that means: It's time for another round of TV.com's "This vs. That," where we pit two things against one another and you vote on which one should win... in whatever context you choose. Which display of athletic superiority and spandex do YOU think deserves a gold medal?

Show your work in the comments!

PREVIOUSLY: This vs. That: The Puppy Bowl or the Kitten Bowl?

Ed. note: If there's a specific battle you'd like to see, send it via PM to TVcom_editorial, via Twitter to @tvdotcom, or via email to mailbag@tv.com. (And thanks to those of you who've already submitted ideas!)

I'm Canadian: Winter Olympics.
I always thought the winter olympics were cousin to summer olympics:) the actual real thing is the summer version, the original one.. plus there is much more diversity in summer olympics and much more stuff that one can relate without knowing very much about the sport.. figure skating is the one and only thing I like to watch along with ski jumping, whereas for summer there are gymnastics, swimming, running, and so many other stuff.. summer it is..
Summer Olympics are just more interesting because of the various different types of sports if you can say so...athletics, gymnastics, swimming....are filled with excitement and those you can miss em moments...Winter Olympics, aside from figure skating and hockey..everything is just plain interesting only to those people who understand it. I don;t know how to really explain it but just purely if you approach it from a simple viewer's point of view - summer wins over winter because of the entertainment. Winter is just to cold.)))
Both have fit athletes in sexy outfits - tough choice...

the next this or that should compare hannibal to true detective.
winter cause i like speed skating, freestyle skiing, dual slalom, luge and snowboarding. summer cause i love womens track and field, boxing and gymnastics.

i wish professional athletes were really excluded though. they steal the thunder from the amateurs
I prefer watching the Summer Olympics, even though my country (the Netherlands) is doing exceptionally great in Sochi right now. I just think the Summer Olympics are more varied and thus more interesting to watch.
The winter olympics for me as well. I do enjoy a lots of summer olympics sports, but there are definitely some that don't interest me in the least. The winter olympics although are awesome from start to finish. Most events are fast and dynamic due to the surface they are performed on. I love every single ice skating sport, being a hockey player myself. Women's figure skating is my favorite sporting event after tennis. I also find alpine skiing very interesting.
Its not really a choice for me, the diversity of the Winter olympics is awsome, who doesnt want to watch someone on a sled youd use in your own backyard in the snow race down on ice at 80 miles an hour. With new snowboarding events & curling, skiing etc, oh & lets not forget the best sport there is... Hockey!! i do enjoy watching the summer games, but really... who can resist the winter wonderland? Not me!!
I don't really have a preference for the summer or the winter Olympics. But during the winter Olympics I get the opportunity to see sports that we normally don’t get to see at Dutch television. The coverage is primarily focused at the Dutch athletes, but because we don’t compete in every event we get to see other sports as well. And we have great coverage and additional live streams so I can watch every sport live. So I have been following, Speed Skating, Shorttrack, Snowboarding, Freestyle skiing and Ice Hockey.
Winter Olympics for me. I love gymnastics and I enjoy watching the swimming events, but track and field kind of bores me. With the Winter Olympics I get figure skating, CURLING!!!!!!!!!, snowboarding, skiing, etc. Hell, I even watched hockey and kind of enjoyed it. I could do without the biathalon and speed skating always depends on my mood but I feel like there's more I want to consistantly watch with the Winter games.
..no Olympics?
The winter Olympics because of hockey...and because I'm Canadian and we have no chance in the summer Olympics haha.
Winter Olympics, and not because I am Canadian. While you cannot deny the skill of the athletes and the difficulty of the events in both Olympics, nor deny that they are really not comparable, there are a whole lot more arbitrary events in the summer Olympics that really should not belong -- baseball is not at all a world sport, and hopefully will be kept out as it was in London. Basketball may be the fastest growing world sport, but again. Soccer should be kept to the World Cup, etc. The Summer Olympics are really just a show of the best of the best, and less about competition. Granted, the Winter Olympics has their fair share of that, too, with hockey and curling, etc., but it's more of an "anyone's game" with most events than the Summer Olympics.
This is so unbelievable double to answer. Yes I’m Dutch so I should enjoy everything that is happening now in the winter Olympics. And no I’m not gay. But I really don’t want to view anything surrounding this Olympics. Like the one in China.

How can we accept everything that is happening in Russia or China and forget it for two weeks just for some people trying to get Gold, Silver or Bronze. For the same reason I’m not going to watch it in Brazil. First we need to understand that we as people can’t accept al those things happening surrounding any Olympic game what so ever. Only then we can accept any Olympic game in whatever country held.
What problem do you have with Brazil? So, likewise I should only want to watch a competition in Holland unless all its problems were solved first?
You my good sir did not understand my position. I really don’t care where they held the Olympics. But what I do care about is the fact they neglect everything in a certain country just for the sake to hold the Olympic Games. And the last two (counting Russia with it) and the upcoming one in Brazil shows me that they really don’t give an F*** about any conditions. I’m wondering when the rest of the world will see it as I do (and many more). Probably never until they hold one in let’s say Syria. Were 75% of the world is watching some dude running faster then the other, while 5 miles outside of the so called enclosed protected fences kids are starving of hunger and sickness or worse getting shot for there believes.
Oh, no, I understood your position quite well. And, by the way, "5 miles outside of the so called protected fences kids are starving or getting shot for their beliefs" certainly doesn't describe a democracy like Brazil, where the standard of living and the economy have improved considerably in the last 10 years, so you should get more information about that before passing judgment.

One thing is not quite clear, though. Are you against the Olympics in ANY country because the money could always be spent more wisely (something I would really respect) or just in the countries you don't like. Are you suggesting that in nice places like the Netherlands it would be acceptable to have the Olympics? Because, I could think of a couple of things the Netherlands could improve before hosting international competitions, and I'm not talking about the quality of wooden shoes.

The fact is, every county has problems that need the government's attention, including yours. Under that perspective, competitions like the World Cup or the Olypmpics are never recommended. But I won't speak for other places I don't entirely well, and I don't want to give an uninformed opinion, but all I will say is that Brazil and Syria couldn't be more different.

More +
Sorry for the delay very busy lately.

Yes, I’m against all kind of Olympic Games in ANY country. It’s not that I’m against sports or viewing sports. But the idea behind all that is the Olympic Games give me horrible goose bums. Not that we can’t cheer for our alethic males and females. But the way its all organist by the Olympic committee in some country’s gives me the kreeps. Anywho, it’s already over, so we can once again enjoy ourselves with make-believe and more…. Enjoy yourselfs
Winter Olympics. Just because ice hockey. And because Finland just beat Russia in ice hockey! Yay!
And congratulations to Switzerland who managed to beat Sweden and get their (I think) FIRST Olympic medal in hockey!
Love, love the Winter Olympics! Have you seen how much medals we Dutch have won so far? Considering we are a really small country with only 16 million people, that is pretty awesome!
I love the summer olympics because of gymnastics and the equestrian events, but I find most of the rest of it to be...relatively boring. The winter olympics, however, has snowboarding, figure skating, downhill skiing, and curling - all things I find fascinating! Except I can't watch any of the interesting parts this year because NBC insists on only covering certain events and only covering certain athletes. I want to watch ALL the countries compete! I want to watch CURLING. But noooo I can't do that because I watch via antenna so I only get NBC, which means I only get coverage of the Americans participating in certain events. And don't get me started on the online coverage. "Live streaming of all events!" just means "You can watch it IF you pay an arm and a leg for cable or satellite. Otherwise, you're screwed!"
Sucks, doesn't it? Almost as bad as Japanese programming.
Neither. I only watch the ceremonies from my recordings (skip most of the slow/boring parts like the flag parades).
I don't really watch either. I do, however, read Price's photo recaps of both, and it's impossible to say which is better (because they're all awesome).
Neither. Sport is something to do yourself not to sit on the couch and watch other people do it
So is comedy...guess you shouldn't watch sitcoms. Oh, and drama...stay away from the 9 o'clock time slots...
Summer Olympics. I enjoy and watch both (and I'm lucky enough to live in a country with a great coverage, i.e. all-day (or night depending on where it happens), live coverage of everything that's happening, with free and legal live access to any competition you might want to watch even if it's not what's been chosen by the tv network) but I find the Summer ones more varied and there are enough different sports for every country and type of athletes to shine.
I prefer to watch scripted shows that I like and not have them shelved for something I don't give a shit about.
i like them both, but this is the first Olympics that I have watched this much. snowboarding, skiing and hockey are the big draws, but then there is the odd curling match or ski jumping i ffwd through. bobsled, luge, skeleton are cool as is some of the ice skating/dancing (mainly watch USA & any hot chicks).

the only summer Olympic event i really remember caring about was phelps and our swim team.
I'm not sure this is a valid question. How can you assess something like this with the phenomenally disastrous coverage? If the sport doesn't have an American in it, we hardly - if ever - see it. (As per usual in recent years.) Come back to me with a question for coverage by NBC or any other network and I'll have an opinion.
i like the coverage. i record just about everything on all the NBC HD channels (NBC, NBC SN, USA, MSN) they all have coverage and show all countries. i watch some and ffwd through others when i get home from work. it's just the Primetime coverage where they limit it to just USA and other countries top athletes. otherwise it would by 15 hrs of coverage instead of 3.5
Well, and this may date me, I remember a time when afternoon and prime time included everything - even if it was just sampling - not just the after-hours coverage. There wasn't as much tape delay either, if I recall correctly. I stand corrected on the look-to-find-them Universal networks. Plus, the coverage has strayed from technical and technique interviews to sob stories a la ABC's GMA. The EP should be taken out back and shot if he's not fired, the latter of which will never happen. I still say the the network coverage doesn't allow me to accurately assess the different Olympics' quality. Lo these many years ago, I could have chosen. But that's just me.
I see what you are saying, but you could easily go to nbcs site and verify your cable subs. and watch everything.
I think a lot of it lately has depended on where the games are held. There was a lot more live events shown in primetime in the Vancouver and Salt Lake City games. But I remember a pretty hefty tape delay for the Nagano and Torino games (I spoiled the figure skating results for my mom in the 98 games).

I agree that the coverage has definitely gone downhill. I appreciate that they're trying to introduce us to some of the culture and other athletes.

I've been doing a lot of livestreaming or recording the events as they air live on the cable nets but I know a lot of people don't have that option which does suck.
I could do without any of them, but if I must choose, I'll go with Summer Olympics. I watch nothing during Winter games, but during Summer ones I once in a while find something watchable
None of them.
Summer is so boring, almost all the winter sports are extreme sports which just makes everything seem so much more exciting! All the jumping events, halfpipe, aerial!! All figure skating events, luge, skeleton, ice hockey the list goes on!! So so so good, love the winter olympics!!!
In general I don't care about the Olympics, but I can't help but get a little interested in the winter Olympics because Canada often does very well at them. Still though, if the Olympics went away I woulnd't care.
To me it seems the summer games are more competitive so I get much more patriotic watching them, but the winter games are more dangerous and artistic (snow and ice, duh) so I find them more fun to watch, much like watching a ballet performance.
That having been said, the Winter Olympics are overplayed - every two years is too often, the events lose their novelty. I don't really end up watching as much as I would if it was more or a special event.
it is every four years by the way.
haha ooops, I mean the Olympics in general since they alternate ;)
which is kind of nice, not one year overkill of Olympics.
WINTER!!!!!! The Summer ones bore me to death and I hate to say it but I think it is the danger of serious injury that makes enjoy the Winter ones more. I mean with Skiing, snowboarding, bobsled, skeleton, hockey, ice skating; the risk of falling, crashing, dropping someone, stuffing the landing or inciting a fight is so much more exciting!!! I just like these sports better than running, swimming, throwing something or running and jumping.
And living in Australia I have been staying up to 6am watching some of the finals live, having the whole family sitting and watch events for hours. Whereas, I think I saw less than 3 combined of the last Summer Olympics, not including Opening Ceremonies.
Haha I agree, the danger of some of these sports makes them entertaining.
show more hockey torrents, this is bs!!!!

torrents? i can see every game if i want. i record just about everything on all the NBC HD channels (NBC, NBC SN, USA, MSN). also you can watch all of them on NBCs website if you convirm your cable subscription
Winter only because of hockey, the rest is sooooo boring and vanilla! Summer if it has baseball and they add Inline hockey!!
But really, who cares about most of these sports, and they are subjective scoring with means nothing really!
Either u beat the clock or beat an opponent, period!
My two favorite events of both are Figure Skating and Gymnastics, but I prefer Figure Skating over Gymnastics, so Winter Olympics wins for me.
The Olympicses are on? Or is it Olympicii?
The Olympics are on.
Summer Olympics, for sure. There are way, way more events and they are way more diverse than the Winters. Although I must say, in terms of big sport events, I still prefer the FIFA World Cup.
I've always been a fan of the Winter Olympics. The events are just way more fun to watch. I don't get much entertainment watching swimming or rowing or gymnastics or track. Snowboarding and hockey and skiing and skating are just cooler. Snowboard Cross kicks the ass of everything the Summer Olympics has to offer.
i agree...except for the swimming. phelps and the USA team was fun to watch.
Winter Olympics.

Just because "winter is coming".
The Summer Olympics is a true show of human excellence. Every country has a chance to compete, not just the one that have snow, and it is not just a test of how well one can traverse snowy terrain. The Summer Olympics have the fastest runners, the strongest swimmers and the highest jumpers. The Winter Olympics have people who can use skis well, shave ice better and have the ability to stay upright on skates.
Both Olympics is a true show of human excellence . at winter olympics there defo lots of risks (already seen a broken spine on ski jumps, knock out to the face..)
This sounds like a comment from someone who doesn't like the winter Olympics because their country isn't doing well. The summer Olympics doesn't exactly benefit the countries that are landlocked and therefore don't have strong swimmers. I'd say it's infinitely more difficult to perform gymnastic routines on ice, perform aerial jumps with ski's attached to your legs and plunge head first down a tunnel of ice. Both show human excellence but you've definitely written off the winter Olympics for silly reasons. Every country has a chance to compete in the winter Olympics, you just might need to train elsewhere which is what most athletes do anyway, regardless of their discipline (Summer included).
erm "Every country has a chance to compete, not just the one that have snow" = so not true - jamaica, thailand to name a couple compete in winter olympics
And how many medals are Jamaica and Thailand expected to win?
It shouldn't be about how many medals you win, the whole point of the Olympics is to unite all five continents (hence the rings) and to take part. Maybe you should read the Olympic creed before you go off about winning:
"The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well." Just because Jamaica and Thailand don't win a lot of medals I think it's pretty great that they made it to the Winter games.
Two things, first I am from the United States so "MY" country is doing and always does pretty well. Second, I am talking about real competition, do you thinks the Seahawks and the Broncos actually competed in the Superbowl!? I don't care about winning, but I do care when all the countries that have medals are in the North-Western Hemisphere, and Russia.
If you don't think watching someone leap through the air on skates and land on one foot is athleticism, then I don't know what is. Gymnastics are great and all but...try doing that on ice. The Summer Olympics may be more inclusive but the Winter Olympics are way more fun to watch.
winter Olympics, simply because they are more fun and a lot of its diciplines are downright dangerous for an untrained person, and they make it look so easy.
Summer is clearly better. The Winter events have way too many that require judges. In the summer games that is usually just the gymnastics, and no one believes that that isn't a bit rigged. But in the winter events are too loaded. The x-game skiing and snowboarding are mostly scored by judges, unlike the Alpine skiing which is just a timed event. Add that to all of the figure skating events; teams, singles, ice dancing. It leaves too much wiggle room for opinions making someone a medal winner. The Olympics use to be about who was faster, stronger or both. Now its about who is "better" and judges decide who did it better, rather than a tape measure or stop watch.
Plus the summer Olympics have ladies in bikinis and hot pants running around for our amusement. The skin tight outfits in the winter are ok, but I would rather see Lolo Jones in her two piece than in her bobsledding outfit.

I like both, but to be honest, at the Winter Olympics we (the Dutch) win a lot more medals then in the summer ones. So in the end, I voted for the Winter ones.

And, I have to admit I watched the US curling team this year.
Let's face it, winter Olypmpics are not really Olympics...
um, false. They have "olympics" in their title, so you couldn't be more wrong. ha
I'm not discussing the formality of the title. Yeah, that's more than obvious. I'm talking about the essence of the competition, ssomething more abstract apparently you didn't get.
i think you think too abstractly....obvioulsy there is great competition on all Olympic event....summer & winter.
The Jamaican team is a historical exception, so much so, they even made a movie about it , because the situation was so odd and unusual. Normally tropical countries don't have sports that require snow and ice. How would they? They would have to practice in another country! How could that mean anything to the local population? So if you live in Bolivia, for instance, you would have to travel to wherever iced country your team was preparing.

Anyway, I'm a South American, I live in South America and I can tell you for sure, it means NOTHING around here. Here, the winter sports are the same sports you practice all year long.
tell that to the Jamaican bobsled team. sure, they care more about summer because of Usain Bolt, but they still care about their winter athletes too. i wouldnt say they mean nothing to those countries.
I apologize if I sounded rude. I'll just say that your winter Olympics mean nothing to contries where there's no snow. And actually I think that's most countries.
lets face it..........your comment makes as much sense as those super quick speedskating suits of the US team.
It makes a lot of sense, but in your case I guess I'll have to explain it. Both when the Greeks traditionally envisioned the Olympic Games, and when the Games were reintroduced in the modern era, the organizers had the so-called "summer" Olympics in mind, with its most tradicional Olypmpic sports. Those are the games that truly represent the Olympic Games. Besides, the Olympics spirit is the integration of all peoples aand only a handfUl of countries have winter sports and participate. And finally, it's ridiculous to call these the "winter" Olympics when in half the globe it's summer.
Anybody is welcomed at these winter OLYMPICS, when the summergames are one generqally half of the globe has winter instead of summer so that is not really a smart reasoning.

And as far as the Greek Olympics go, the summer Olympics have decided to drop wrestling as an Olympic sport, and that is one of the originals of the sports. So whatever the Greeks were thinking does not really go anymore, while perhaps the aked athletes would go down well on the telly except in the US were they get upset by a nipple for a fraction of a second.

The Olympic games, both winter and summer are sports everybody can compete in, as that swimmer in Being showed who had never seen a 50 meter swimmingpool in his life but he swam his 100 m very slow and steady.

Vanessa Mea did enter for Thailand in skiing and she came in last, but who cares. Not everybody can compete for the medals in both versions of the games.

They are both sporting events were athletes really compete in the spirit the of the games, which is winning is not as important as the competing.

Every 4 years more and more countries enter the Winter version and undoubtely this will not stop untill most countries are participating.

So all your arguments are based more on assumption and bias than on facts.
More +
Of course I was exaggerating. Both are Olympics, but it's just that the so-called "winter" Olympics (which happen in the summer of the southern hemisphere, hence that makes o sense to us), have little or no meaning for many, and I might even say, most countries, who don't compete in those, and have no tradition in those. Of course you can do like the historic Jamaican team and compete in bobsled, but most countries simply don't have the climate to develop any tradition int hose games. I live n Brazil, and we simply don't have snow! Same thing with just almost all the rest of South America. This is why for me, as a South American, I find it odd that one would even consider both competitions as equivalent.
Winter Olympics of course. I like curling best.
Summer... because Winter is excruciatingly boring. and it seems like all tv gets pulled off no matter what the network, atleast in the summer those shows are already supposed to be off until fall.
The summer olympics because it does not interfere with your shows, which is t least honest albeit a daft reasoning.
my reason was because winter is boring, I'd never watch these sports unless it was the Olympics, which I don't even watch them then anyway. I just also added that every network pulls their shows even if it's not NBC. if you're not a 'sports' fan then you're largely crap out of luck.
It also offers me the chance to catch up with all those episodes of shows I recorded and have yet to see. I find a hiatus in the programmes quite welcome.

That said I find quite a few sports at the wintergames more exiting than anything on offer during the summer version, or they should release hungry sharks with the synchronised swimming.

I love the winter and snow, it makes the world look much prettier.
Winter Olympics, because it has Hockey.
The spirit of the Olympics has great public money behind it, handing out building and development contracts to select private companies who benefit from it.

Meanwhile the public who have funded the event can't enter the event for free - even though its paid for by public money and the investment just benefits private businesses. Am I the only person seeing the irony here?

I'd rather the TV be filled for 3 days a year with £8.92bn* being spent on creating, saving and preserving lives in hospitals and healthcare, making education free and perhaps radically reducing that country's poverty rather than TV coverage of 2-4 weeks of sport. Sadly the tax payer would rather bleat their joy at the TV than perhaps really invest the money is preventative measures to raise living conditions, their standards of living, better education, and living longer. Short-sighted? Pass me my glasses I'm missing the toboggan race.

*http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/london-2012-final-cost-london-2012-games-revealed-135956051.html

Hmmm. I'm actually giving this one some real thought. As a huge sports fan, I watch both a lot. But I think I'm going with the Summer Olympics because they have a crap-ton more sports and athletics, so I naturally watch more of it.

With the Winter Olympics, I'm finding myself mostly watching short track skating... and some speed skating. The really boring sports: luge, skeleton, bobsleigh, curling, biathlon, cross-country, and ski jumping. Figure skating can be really boring too, but I'd still put it as a bit more entertaining than the previous ones. Same for hockey (it's really fun watching in person, but I hate watching hockey on TV).
Summer Olympics.

Believe it or not, I like watching athletics. WInter Olympics have too many sports relying on gravity to move people down a hill or a ramp. The ice and the snow make athletes just glide around. I guess what I'm saying is that I generally like friction, something that so often is lacking from winter sports. Or in the words of Gordon Gekko: Friction, for the lack of a better word, is good. (At least I'm pretty sure that's what he said.)

And as @littlebitliz said below, the Winter Olympics mess with our TV schedule more than the Summer Olympics. That's a reason to like the Winter Olympics less than the Summer Games.

Ha! I literally laughed out loud when I read that title. As if the Winter Sliding on Things is anywhere near as good as the Olympics - yeah, that's right, you don't even need to call it the "Summer" Olympics, because it's far superior to it's chilly cousin.

Disclaimer, I'm English and the London Olympics were the best ever, plus I hate being cold!
Load More Comments