This Year's SAG Awards Nominees Include Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad

The sexiest of the Hollywood guilds, the Screen Actors Guild (SAG), opened the envelope on the nominations for its annual Screen Actors Guild Awards today, and as is the case with everything awards-related, there's a smattering of well-deserved recognition and buckets of OUTRAGE!

Let's take a look at who Hollywood's actors thought were the best performances on TV this year, pick our favorites, and discuss who's missing:

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series

Boardwalk Empire
Breaking Bad
Dexter
Game of Thrones
The Good Wife

My pick: Breaking Bad. The unstoppable duo of Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul was joined by Giancarlo Esposito in the best-acted series on television. While all the nominees are great (with Dexter my only question mark), this isn't even close.

Snubbed!: One would be hard-pressed to say any of the above don't belong, but it's easy to wonder why other worthy shows like Justified, Homeland, Sons of Anarchy, and Friday Night Lights didn't make the cut. Though it rivals Breaking Bad for having an incredible top three (Danes, Lewis, Patinkin), I can see why Homeland didn't make it; it's simply too new. FX series still don't get the credit they deserve (Sons of Anarchy and Justified have more than enough talent to spare, and that's what counts when you talk about "ensembles"), and it boggles my mind why that is. Also, it's not just hip kids like Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Joshua Jackson voting for these nominees, it's also that one dude who played a recurring role on some CBS drama 30 years ago. In other words, tradition and well-known shows have the advantage. Hey, at least Mad Men wasn't eligible!

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series:

30 Rock
The Big Bang Theory
Glee
Modern Family
The Office

My Pick: Abstain. It's a four-way tie between shows that just don't excite me. As for Glee, I'll say what I always say: singing =/= acting.

Snubbed!: In an alternate universe somewhere, Community is showered with rose petals and networks are fighting over the right to air it. But not in this world. Sigh. The kids love Parks and Recreation, and that's certainly good enough not only to be nominated, but to deservedly win. And is there a better top 5 out there than the gang of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia? The ensemble comedy category is clearly a byproduct of extreme laziness, as this is almost the same lot that's been out there for the last few years (four of the five were nominated in each of the last two years).

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series:

Patrick J. Adams, Suits
Steve Buscemi, Boardwalk Empire
Kyle Chandler, Friday Night Lights
Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad
Michael C. Hall, Dexter

My Pick: Bryan Cranston, duh. But Chandler isn't a bad alternate. Also, Patrick J. Adams, what?

Snubbed!: I'll continue to shake my head at the lack of love for Timothy Olyphant for his role in Justified. Damian Lewis also deserves to be here for Homeland, but once again, the show is too new to register with stubborn voters.

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series:

Kathy Bates, Harry's Law
Glenn Close, Damages
Jessica Lange, American Horror Story
Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife
Kyra Sedgwick, The Closer

My Pick: Jessica Lange, but I'd be perfectly happy with Close or Margulies.

Snubbed!: Once again, this is a category that recognizes familiar names. There are arguments for Justified's Margo Martindale (who was the best thing on screen all last year) and Sons of Anarchy's Katey Segal. Same story, different category. Obviously Claire Danes should win every single acting category she's nominated in, but first she needs to get the nomination.

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series:

Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
Ty Burrell, Modern Family
Steve Carell, The Office
Jon Cryer, Two and a Half Men
Eric Stonestreet, Modern Family

My Pick: Ummm... Ty Burrell I guess?

Snubbed!: I still think Donald Glover (Community) is the funniest man on television right now. But I've also come to terms that it will never get recognized for anything ever except the Tim Surette Awards. And did you guys see Louis C.K. on Louie this year? He was frickin' amazing. Snub city. And I'm sure a lot of you are all like, "Yo where be Parks and Recreation's Nick Offerman, dude?" Dude, he ain't on there.

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series:

Julie Bowen, Modern Family
Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie
Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Sofia Vergara, Modern Family
Betty White, Hot in Cleveland

My Pick: Edie Falco. No, Sofia Vergara. No, Falco. I never know who to vote for in this category. And the Betty White nomination is cute, but does she really need two nominations (she's nominated in the miniseries category too and won the SAG awards Lifetime Achievement Award last year)?

Snubbed!: Will someone please give Kaitlin Olsen from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia a little love, please? Come on, voters. Stop being so old. Amy Poehler should also be throwing things against her walls right about now. In a category that's supposed to honor female leads in comedy (of which there are few), it's a crime that Poehler is nowhere to be found. You all like Saturday Night Live's Kristen Wiig too, right? And what about Melissa McCarthy, who won the Emmy this year for Mike & Molly?

I've expressed my stance on the SAG Award nominees. What do you think? Who is the most surprising nominee in your eyes? Who is the biggest snub? Let us know!

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Bryan (from Breaking Bad) deserves that award and he will get it for sure. That laugh of his in the basement was awesome. I got chills when I watched that the first time.
Community is too amazing for the world. The world does not deserve Community. But please let us keep it.
No Jim Parsons or Neil Patrick Harris for best male actor in a comedy series?
how i met your mother needs to get recongized as an amazing show
and they didn't get an oscar pic for best series or favorite comedy show
Oscar is movies.
wtf how i met your mother isn't even on the list
oops now i realized this is SAG not Golden Globe .. their nomination list mean shit ..

putting Patrick J. Adams has a 1 in a million chance of winning

he was good in suits but not that great .. still happy though suits got one nomination ..

and out of all American Horror Story's freaky characters they picked Jessica Lange , how about the crazy baby running in the basement ?

they didnt even mention Connie Britton

they should have put a category for outstanding abs performance

and the winner is Dylan McDermott abs

what bothers me they put Steve Carell even though he is not in this season .. i mean WTF

i think his name stuck in the computer and cant be erased from this category

Steve Carell unfunny\boring actor at least in the office ..

and why are they putting Eric Stonestreet and Ty Burrell too , without giving any chance for Big Bang theory's actors and they just erased louie from thier memory .. he was the MVP of comedy this year ..

this picks is rigged and faked .. i didnt like the list at all .. what a disappointment ! fth
Okay, if there is no supporting category, where on earth is Ryan Hurst? And Sons of Anarchy? Ryan Hurst MADE the tension filled last 4 (not including the true finale) eps of the season! He was outstanding, and Sons of Anarchy was absolutely amazing. How is that overlooked? And if not that, then Timothy Olyphant and Justified? Where are the votes?
Its totally unfair that Community NEVER gets any nominations for anything!!! They get snubbed for Emmy's and SAG's WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS WORLD??!!!!!!!
I want to die.
I don't really understand these lists. They have them set up in a really weird way. I think just one would sufice, one that made sense preferably but that's not a must.
No love for Justified and Sons of Anarchy pisses me off.
As Tim has said, there are a lot of names that should be here that aren't. That said, there are fair number, especially in the ensemble drama category that really do belong there. More nomination spots. That said, Patrick J. Adams? What the heck? Also, get "Glee" out of there.
To quote Ron Swanson, "I would care more about awards if they went to the people who deserved them."
I'd nominate Men of a Certain Age in the ensemble acting category, but I understand why it's not there. It's because only about 16 people actually watched that incredible show, but the acting on that show was top notch.

Community, Parks and Recreation, and It's Always Sunny were definitely snubbed for ensemble comedy. The Big Bang Theory is funny, but it's really only because of Sheldon and Penny. They make the show, it's not the ensemble that makes it. If Glee wins, I might blow up my television.
They never seem to pick shows that I actually watch. Which makes me wonder if the nominations are based more upon the type of work the actors like to do or how much they get paid rather than the quality of the work.
This is bullshit! So many great shows (Parks and Rec, Community and Homeland) are overseen. Modern Family has not been good this season, neither has Glee and 30 Rock has barely been on the air and still they all get several nominees. Shame on SAG for not recognizing great TV when they see it.
While I share your disappointment in Parks and Rec getting snubbed and Glee being nominated, back off of Modern Family! That show has been great this season.
I agree that it has not been as bad as Glee, but I feel like they never get out of their comfort zone, and I'm getting kinda bored. Hopefully this will change though, since I'd hate to see this show go away. :)
again with Glee in comedy category.....??! wat gives?!!

To paraphrase Mr Sutter, "The kind of praise Glee gets boggles the mind"...

Considering SOA got snubbed again, am so sad Mr. Sutter has i taking the "almost zen" way about it. I miss the "pile of jizz at Glee's feet" outburst.

Breaking Bad better win everything its nominated for...or else,,,
It's obvious that we all have our favourite actors and shows, and some of them have not been nominated. (Tim already pointed out the harsh reality: there's little love for Community in this world. *Sob*.) So I'm just going to settle for these nominations and wait for the awards without complaining. But I promise to complain afterwards if they choose the wrong winners.
Drama: Breaking Bad, Homeland, Boardwalk Empire, Justified, Sons of Anarchy

Dramedy: Parenthood,The Big C, Shameless, Californication, White Collar

Comedy: Community, Parks & Recreation, Louie, Happy Endings, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (or Raising Hope)

Sci-Fi/Fantasy/etc: Fringe, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, The Vampire Diaries, American Horror Story

Canceled: Men of a Certain Age, United States of Tara, The Chicago Code, Lights Out, The Good Guys

Awards need to add a "Sci-Fi/Fantasy/etc" and "Dramedy" section!
I thought the Golden Globes were a joke. Now I see the SAG Awards as a flat punchline.

Glee is nominated for best ensemble in a comedy? And Community is nowhere to be found (especially in Best Comedy)? Community's absence of nods may as well be expected (*sigh*) but to deny Parks and Recreation for best ensemble and their star players Nick Offerman and Amy Poehler spots for best actor and actress ?

Sorry, SAGs, you're a horrible joke if you pick Glee over Community and especially Parks and Recreation to round off your comedy ensemble awardees. Glee's barely even a comedy; it's a musical whose plotlines, characters, and consistency are composed out of elementary school glue and popsicle sticks. SAG voters, please get out of that six-foot deep rut you're in and uncheck Glee from your voters' list next year. You're better than that.

And to the people working on Community and Parks and Recreation, including the crew who make the characters, the plots, and everything else about the shows so much fun, unique, and optimistic, thank you so much and Happy Holidays!
Seriously, where is Melissa McCarthy? She is hilarious, she saves Mike&Molly from sitcom hell and did you see her host SNL? That was the best episode of SNL in years, I was actually laughing at the skits and not just fast forwarding to the music sets! That woman is amazing.
Nurse Jackie is NOT a comedy and Edie Falco is Not funny!

And Glee is not a comedy, thank god Mr. Schu is not in running for top comedy actor!!!!!

Who comes up with this stuff, its common sense!!!!!
I took some time to make the picks I would make. I thought I'd share and see if you agree.

Drama Ensemble: GoT, Breaking Bad, Homeland, Justified, Sons of Anarchy

Comedy Ensemble: Parks and Rec, Community, Modern Family, BBT, 30 Rock

Male/Drama: Bryan Cranston, Kyle Chandler, John Noble, Steve Buscemi, Timothy Olyphant

Female/Drama: Claire Danes, Martigo Martindale, Julianna Margulies, Anna Torv, Kathy Bates

Male/Comedy: Steve Carell, Nick Offerman, Dani Pudi, Adam Scott, Donald Glover

Female/Comedy: Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Edie Falco, Melissa McCarthy, Aubrey Plaza.

The only reason I didn't pick Louie for comedy is because it's not an ensemble piece. It's a one man show.
Fantastic picks.
I agree on homeland perhaps being too new for this (though the Emmys next year better be showered with nominations for it!), and I know I'm asking too much, but could someone at some point during nomination time remember that Fringe may be one of the best shows on television right now, and is certainly underrated?

Besides that, I think Breaking Bad should win, though a nomination for Friday Night Lights wouldn't have gone amiss. I'd definitely go for Bryan Cranston for actor as well, though if Kyle Chandler wins this to go with his Emmy it would be well deserved and give the best network television show of all time (in my opinion), another last hurrah.

I think it's a real indictment on the state of female roles that I genuinely have no opinion on either of the female groups. This doesn't mean I don't think there are great female actors, but that no-one makes great roles for them (besides Claire Danes spectacular performances so far on Homeland).

In comedy I'd still stand by 30 Rock as the best one, and perhaps Alec Baldwin as the best actor, but really comedies seem not be made for great quality these days, just quantity of cheap laughs. I am, however, disappointed that Archer has not got a nod for best comedy.
I don't understand!!!!!! I am getting so frustrated with TV awards shows. They can never do anything right. I am holding out for the WGA awards though. They usually have the best nominations.

Do the voters even watch any of the shows that they are voting for? I refuse to believe that anyone who has ever watched Parks and Rec or Community thinks they are of a lesser quality than those 5 nominated.

And just because a show is new, it does not mean that the voters get excused from watching it and voting! Homeland should be nominated.

It is the voters JOB to keep updated with the shows and familiarize themselves with all of the shows available. If they think they do not know enough to vote, THEY SHOULD ABSTAIN FROM VOTING.
@Tim or anyone else who knows....

Do the SAG awards NOT have 'supporting actor' catagories?
Nope...
Biggest snub is Timothy Olyphant and Katey Segal!!!

While I loved Margo Martindale as Mags this year, I think she would be better off in a supporting actress catagory.

Also, very disapppointed Aaron Paul didn't get a nod for season four. He goes through such a transformation between when we he watches Gus take a box cutter to a guy's neck to befriending Mike to the final episode. And, that scene in the penultimate episode when he accuses Bryan Cranston of poisoning Brock and holds a gun to his head? That scene screams nomination! One of the best scenes of the season.
Obviously none of them have ever seen Fringe or John Noble would be at the top of the list. Also Anna Torv, Timothy Olyphant, Jensen Ackles. Even Nina Dobrev did an awsome job playing both Elena and Katherine.
The fact that Community hasn't won a billion Emmy's proves that there is no God. Aww, now I'm sad. Well, at least Breaking Bad is recognized for its greatness.

This comment is full of enlightening words. I think it is better written than most the shows nominated here.
Yeah, I can name some snubs, most notably everybody in Justified and Community. But for the most part, I don't think any of the nominations are surprising... except Patrick J. Adams in Suits. I like the show and I think he's a decent enough actor, but really? Outstanding?

Ensemble Drama: Breaking Bad

Ensemble Comedy: Ehhh... Modern Family, I guess. Maybe 30 Rock...

Male Drama: Cranston

Female Drama: I don't watch any of these... but Margulies, if I had to choose.

Male Comedy: Carrell... The Office, without him, is noticeably weaker. Burrell is great too.

Female Comedy: Tina Fey... I find her funnier than the rest.
No Poehler? Go to hell, you sagging humor-hating weirdos.