Top of the Lake Is Officially Renewed for Season 2 and Adds Brienne of Tarth

SundanceTV has finally made official what many had been hoping for: Top of the Lake will be returning for a second season. The critically adored series comes from The Piano director Jane Campion, and first debuted in 2013 on SundanceTV and BBC Two.

Elisabeth Moss, who won a Golden Globe for Season 1, will reprise her role as Robin Griffin, an Australian detective who specializes in working with children. Joining the series in a major will be Gwendoline Christie, better known as Game of Thrones' Brienne of Tarth and Star Wars: The Force Awakens' cool Stormtrooper in the shiny armor, Captain Phasma. Also cast in Season 2 are David Dencik, Alice Englert, and Ewen Leslie

Season 2 of Top of the Lake will find Griffin investigating the case of a body of an Asian girl that washes up on Sydney's Bondi Beach. Dubbed the case of the "China Girl," Griffin will soon realize that she didn't die alone.

Top of the Lake is planned for another six-episode season and will air in 2017 in the U.K. on BBC Two and in the U.S. on SundanceTV. Episodes will be available on Hulu the day after they air on SundanceTV.

Are you excited for more Top of the Lake?

Nov 09, 2017
Another EMMY nom for Elisabeth, she's brilliant in it. I also love the interaction between her and Gwendoline Christie. Nicole Kidman is so good in a supporting role. Great TV.
Mar 23, 2016
Woooo this is great news! I thought it was going to be a one-off and I was sad we weren't going to get any more of this show. Season 1 was gripping and beautifully shot, and I love Brienne, and this is all wonderful news.

Now, is that weirdo from The Bridge coming back or what?
Mar 23, 2016
I had no idea this was even a possibility so great news! Campion is exactly the kind of person that should be running a TV show at the moment.

Now for misgivings. Any chance they could replace Moss with Anna Paquin (Campion's first casting choice)? Moss was good but her accent was way off. Second grumble - Bondi? That's a pretty huge step down from Glenorchy NZ. Hopefully they'll find some secondary locations around New South Wales that are a little more evocative. And is Christie going to have a Southern Hemisphere accent? I'd like to see that.
Mar 22, 2016
So glad we're getting more of this. A big part of the first series was the landscape of rural New Zealand, so I hope they can match that with some equally stunning locations this time round. Also, Gwendoline Christie being cast doesn't mean much for her GoT character, considering how short the run of this show is likely to be (maybe 6-8 hours) she could easily fit that in around her other shooting schedules or even get it done before the next season of GoT starts production.
Mar 22, 2016
Is there some aversion to referring to actors by their actual names? It's not hard to wonder why some of them get peeved about being pigeonholed in a role.
Mar 22, 2016
GoT is a much bigger show than TotL, so I would imagine the Brienne of Tarth headline was clickbait to draw in fans of that show who might not have heard of this one.
Mar 22, 2016
Okay people REALLY need to save this casting information for closer to it's premier date. Did we REALLY need to find out Brianne's going to be on this new show that A LOT HAVEN'T HEARD OF? Talk about spoiling her inevitable death come next month when season 6 of GoT starts! I just figured there was a lot of down time in between seasons, what with her showing up in STAR WARS/MOCKING JAY and all! Now I know her character is toast! I just hope she rescues Sansa, and teaches Poderick to fight before getting murdered:-/
Mar 23, 2016
Just chill, Brienne has a pretty small role on GoT, how many scenes did she have last year, like 6? There's plenty of time for her try some other stuff and a six episode show where again she won't be the main character isn't a stretch. Remember that many of the main cast of Game of Thrones have been doing movies in between Seasons - Daenerys, Jaime, Arya off the top of my head. GoT has a huge cast which means that no one has an all-encompassing shooting schedule.
Mar 22, 2016
Top of the lake is very good. I highly recommend it. Everybody dies on GOT. It's not a question of if but when... Also true in real life. It's the journey, not the destination.
The destination is always the same. Death. You could go in therapy to get rid of you spoilerphobia or just don't come to sites with casting information like TVline and TV. COM. It's not Tim's fault. It's your own! You have nobody to blame but yourself. Or better yet if you stop playing the blame game altogether you and the people around you will be a lot happier. You know i'm full of shit right ;)

Mar 23, 2016
I am just simply stating ( as I see it obvious) counter arguments is all! I am also fully aware of the actors working elsewhere in their downtime, which they are failing at! I might add. Here's looking at you Terminator Genisys/ Pixels/ GoE!!! Also Brienne may have a minor role on GoT, but you have to also be aware w/ them shooting the show in such far off locations sometimes, and them not wanting to spend the money/time flying someone in or out. When the production needs the actor in question, well it stands to reason one would have to ask..... How much free time do these actors on a show like this really have? Plus no one has made a counter argument to my points that I made earlier, so there has to be some truth to what I'm saying, it's just no one wants to admit that!
Less -
Mar 23, 2016
Did some more research. Season six Of GoT began filming in late July 2015 and concluded on December 17, 2015. Top of the Lake is set to start filming this month or has already begun. This was confirmed at the Sundance festival. It's only 7 episodes so this probably doesn't take as much time as filming Game Of Thrones. So there's no overlap.
So this makes your theory slightly less plausible.

Game of Thrones is filmed all over the world simultaneously. I can say this but this is not set in stone: Brienne has a bigger role to play this season. I don't want to spoil anything but from some of the casting choices and reading all the books you can deduce a thing or two. But this is pure speculation.Because nobody really knows what's going to happen because the books and the show are deviating more and more.

So if she dies or not is speculation. Not a spoiler ;)
Mar 22, 2016
What? Who says everyone's gonna die on GoT? Are you best budz w/ G.R.R.M or something? The shows not ending this year, so I mean it would be nice to be surprised by a death, or survival to the last episode of a certain character, don't you agree? I think most would agree w/ me here on this site TBH since folks can go on long rantz all the time about RUDE people coming here spoiling something. I think you have actually been a part of those kind of convo's. to think about it. Just sayin is all, you and Andy are either missing my points, or are being untruthful on the matter altogether. No need to stick up for Tim, even though I don't always agree w/ his views, I still enjoy reading them, and respect his opinion's. This was NOT intended as an attack on the reviewer. Just politely (AS I CAN) stating my feelings on this breaking story. Now if you don't believe me, then just replace the actress who play's Brienne with say Melissa Mcbride. Now tell me you're not irritated knowing she just got another job B4 the season ends!
Mar 22, 2016
If the headline of the story is "Top of the Lake Is Officially Renewed for Season 2 and Adds Brienne of Tarth" and you decide to read it, it's at your own peril. If i see something a headline like that and i'm sensitive to spoilers then i would have thought. OMG i don't want to know so i'm not going to read anymore of this. If your theory is true and Brienne dies in season six then you still don't know if it's the first or the last episode. It's not a big deal. You still don't know how she got there. Destination vs journey.
Casting information is an important part of this site. This is per definition spoilery.. I still can enjoy game of thrones even if everything is spoiled beforehand. I read the books. So everything was already spoiled.
Did this diminish my enjoyment of the show? Not at all.
But i'm not spoilerphobic. I can empathize with people that have this affliction. The solution is very simple crawl under a rock and disconnect your internet connection. Because Internet is one big spoiler machine.
Get used to it.
Mar 22, 2016
Good Grief, so I should just stop reading when I come to this site, if I don't want to be potentially spoiled on something? For shows I actually enjoy, I have a right to be irritated by a certain news headline! A person w/ half a brain would be instantly spoiled by the article title. Here's an idea, Tim could of said "Top of the Lake Is Officially Renewed for Season 2 and Adds Reader BEWARE possible spoilers for upcoming seasons of GoT"
That would be the simplest answer to this problem. But NOPE sites/writers do this in the vein of click-bait. Just an irritating observation is all, and doesn't ruin the enjoyment of shows I really care about, like this or the Flash! Speaking of which, how would feel if we had a headline come out today "Grant Gustin was just hired to star in the MacGyvor reboot"
Now what would that tell you, or anyone? As mentioned B4 people w/ half a brain would know he's leaving the young show for a newer one! Don't you agree? If so then you have to see that if we all went by your logic of being a spoilerphobe( which I'm NOT) then the majority of people wouldn't bother w/ this site at all, and eventually it would go under. Because "SPOILER ALERT" Most people feel this way, and we will NEVER back down on how we feel, nor crawl under a rock like you so put it. Things in life are just not so easy to resolve....... Unless for this argument one could simply put "SPOILER ALERT" before allowing a person to click on the article! Just sayin is all, but you know me.....I'm full of shit, right?;-p
More +
Mar 22, 2016
I think you're the who has spoiled it for the rest of us who haven't read the books. You need to write SPOILER ALERT before writing crap like that. Thanks for your contribution :-(
Mar 22, 2016
I think you need to read SLLOOWER B4 accusing people of spoiling something. I never stated that Brienne's death was a fact! I just made a logical observation concerning the actress's future projects. There's NO WAY she can be on both shows! Don't you agree? PS I have NOT read the books either, nor have I ever stated I did!Thank you for your contribution:-(
Mar 22, 2016
I beg to differ with you on not being able to be on both shows. Given the fact that both series have short seasons, it shouldn't be a problem.

And I agree with you on the odds of her dying. Of course, I'm betting that MAYBE 10% of the original cast will make it to the last episode. And even that percentage will be a little high.
Mar 23, 2016
As I said in my first post w/ her shooting STAR WARS/MOCKINGJAY/GoT, and now this, I believe it's HIGHLY unlikely she could juggle all of these projects. Just sayin is all!!!