Torchwood Fails the Flashback Episode

Ginormous disclaimer: As I've said before, I'm not familiar with the first two seasons of Torchwood or its spin-on Doctor Who, so if I missed something huge, that's my bad. But I'm assuming that several viewers are in the same boat as me, and so I'm writing this from that perspective. Okay, carry on.

Well that was interesting, wasn't it? The world is collapsing under the weight of the undying, the whistle's been blown on a government cover-up, the team is coming back together after a few episodes apart, there are four episodes left to wrap things up, and Torchwood: Miracle Day just handed us a flashback episode about the adventures of Captain Jack in the Roarin' '20s. Eek.

I'm all for flashback episodes shedding light on the greater story. Fringe used them spectacularly last season when it jumped back to the '80s, and Lost's "Ab Aeterno" was a highlight of that series. But Torchwood: Miracle Day's "Immortal Sins" just didn't work. When young Peter Bishop met young Olivia Dunham on Fringe, it was great because we had a frame of reference. We knew Peter and Olivia in the present time, and we understoodd why these two kids would feel a strong bond with one another. When we learned how Lost's Richard Alpert came to be the never-aging guru of a certain island with a nougat-y center of light, we got answers to questions that had pestered us for six years. But "Immortal Sins" expected us to immediately get weepy over a love story featuring a character we'd never met. [Whoopee cushion sound.]

"Immortal Sins" brought Torchwood: Miracle Day's momentum to a screeching halt, and that's coming off an episode that I deemed "skippable," as last week's installment barely addressed the overall mystery we've been salivating over. I feel even sorrier for those who eventually fire up a DVD marathon of Torchwood: Miracle Day; the disappointment will be even greater.

That's the overall problem with how Torchwood: Miracle Day is set up. With its accelerated pacing and deliberately slow unveiling of the series' strong point ("What is Miracle Day?"), there's no time to stop for a picnic. This show needs to be a Bugatti from start to finish.

I will give it credit for trying something daring, though, and perhaps "Immortal Sins" could have worked if the love story had been more believable. (My skepticism has nothing to do with the fact that it was a gay love story, so let's not even go there. Thanks.) I understand that Jack is a man of strong appetites, and I love that about him. He'll walk into a bar and bed the first man he finds with a chiseled jaw and abs a'plenty. But with "Immortal Sins," the writers (one of sci-fi's most respected, Jane Espenson, is credited) tried to sell Jack and Angelo as a love story, when all they gave us was a lust story. Had the episode tugged at our heartstrings, it could have worked. But as far as a "love for the ages" emotional bond between the pair, I didn't pick up on it beyond what were were told. For a love story to work, I need to feel it, not just see two characters talking about it.

When we weren't back in the sepia-toned '20s, we saw present-day Gwen take Jack hostage under orders from mysterious people who familynapped the Williams/Coopers clan. Gwen's devotion to her family is borderline obsessive, but would she really have resorted to tazing and tying up Jack over working with him to get her family back? It was a bit of a leap to believe that, but I warmed up to it after Gwen and Jack's incredible discussion in the car:

Gwen: "That's what I'm saying, have you got what I'm saying to you, Jack? What I'm saying is 'no more.' Because I know exactly what you're thinking, Jack Harkness. I know it. 'She won't do this, not really. Not my Gwen. Oh Gwen, she can't hurt me. Gwen loves me, she'd never hand me in.' Well this is about my daughter, and I swear, for her sake, I will see you killed like a dog right in front of me if it means her back in my arms. Understood?"

Jack: "Understood. And let me tell you, now that I'm mortal, I'm going to hang on to this with everything that I've got. I love you Gwen Cooper, but I will rip your skin from your skull before I let you take this away from me. Understood?"

F'ing bad f'ing ass. Those two just laid it out there! I really can't say enough about how wonderful that scene was. From the dialogue to the acting, it was incredible. It was a very bright spot in an otherwise dim episode.

In the end, with Jack about to be handed over to a mysterious new group, Rex and Esther saved the day in what I consider a convenient cop-out. I don't know how they knew where Gwen's family was or how they were able to secure a SWAT team to save them, but whatever. Sometimes on Torchwood: Miracle Day, you simply have to look the other way.

The goal of "Immortal Sins" was to get us from point A (not knowing someone who knows about Miracle Day) to point B (knowing someone who knows about Miracle Day), but that could have been handled in a way that fits the season's tone a little better. Where was the fun that has become its trademark?

Notes:
... What kind of people would repeatedly try to kill a man who couldn't die? What is wrong with those people!?!? Let the miracle speak for itself once or twice; there was no need to tie Jack up in a basement and let everyone get all stabby.

... What did you all think of the Doctor Who name-drop and the Trickster's Brigade reference?

... What's your favorite flashback episode of television, ever?

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Sep 08, 2011
Best Flashback episodes:

Battlestar Galactica- Unfinished Business

Fringe- Peter

Supernatural- A Very Supernatural Christmas

Lost- The Constant (I know everyone loves Ab Aeterno, but I love Jeremy Davies)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer- Becoming Parts 1&2 (season 2 finale)

House- Three Stories

Breaking Bad- Hermanos
Aug 25, 2011
I used to love Torchwood. It was fun, camp and quirky. The characters were strong and vibrant. Then we lost Owen, Tosh and Ianto in 5 episodes and the heart went out of the series. All that made Torchwood, Torchwood was gone - the Hub, the SUV, the pteranadon. This series feels it's desperately trying to live up to the past and is failing miserably. Jack is basically ineffective and his omnisexuality is glossed over. Gwen is suddenly a kick ass heroine - while whining and throwing tantrums. Rex is a misery guts, Esther an idiot.

Instead of action and comedy we have sex scenes and torture. No RTD. This is not Torchwood. Miracle Day is a Miracle Fail. Please let it RIP.
Aug 24, 2011
I think the problem is that Russell T. Davies is a screaming gay and John Barrowman is the same. Whereas Barrowman is happy to make use of his sexuality for a role, or not RTD is not the same. The reason he left DW was because the powers that be wouldn't let him make the doctor gay (unlike torchwood, DW is a family show). So RTD stomped off in a huff. Sadly I think he is making a beginner's mistake with tochwood; he's *so* intent of puttting a 'message' into the show about homosexuality that he forgets about the actual storyline. The first series of Torchwood was excellent; Jack was swung both ways back then, though he leant more towards guys, and though homosexuality was mentioned and explored the show's emphasis didn't rest on that *alone*. I have no problem with Jack being gay; but I *do* wish RTD would make the storyline the central theme and not whatever guy Jack happens to want to shag next - the fact that Ianto was supposed to be the love of his life just goes to show that RTD doesn't believe in continuity either - Jack now appears completely recovered from losing his boyfriend and more than happy to get back to a shagtastic time. Oh and don't even get me started about RTD's implied hints about Jack's relationship with Gwen!
Aug 24, 2011
First of all, yeah, you missed a whole lot by not seeing Dr Who and Torchwood. Like Jack's origin, for example (Former time cop from the future who defects and becomes a trans-temporal con man who's rehabilitated by the Doctor during WWII, killed, brought back to life, and stranded several thousand years in the future, he hops backwards in time to try and find the Doctor again and is stranded sometime in the 1800s where he joins up with a somewhat evil organization known as Torchwood which was founded to stop aliens like the Doctor from meddling in human affairs and which is eventually destroyed by the Doctor but lived on through Jack who put together a team and then got them all killed and besides which Jack isn't even his real name he stole it from a fling he had and Gwen knows this). Gwen's origin is another thing you missed (police officer who somewhat inexplicably joins up with the Torchwood team and is pretty much a fish out of water).

Also, where is this "momentum" you speak of? I realize that the concepts of momentum and inertia are related, but while inertia includes momentum, momentum implies movement, which this series/season does not have. (seasons are called series for British TV shows, which this used to be) This series is even worse than Children of Earth which was not very good but was, by comparison, simply amazing.

Part of why I don't like this series is that it's not very interesting (ie, boring), and all the characters are complete morons.

I agree with you that this particular episode wasn't that great, but for completely different reasons from you, and really about as bad as all the other episodes of Miracle Day. I actually thought the flashback scenes had some of the more interesting things we've seen this series (Jack coming back to life is always good, though they did overplay that a bit, and the Goa'uld-esque brain parasites were nice). One thing that kinda bugged me is that, while John Barrowman is gay, Jack is supposed to be bisexual. The other thing that bugged me is Gwen's sudden change to a completely different character. Sure it pretty much started from the first episode, but suddenly she's a baddass blowing things up and riding motorcycles? Yeah, I just don't buy it. (plus, when she was giving her little speech before she blew up that warehouse thing she wasn't looking at the mirror so none of what she said was recorded and therefore wasn't for anybody but us viewers, completely destroying my already tenuous suspension of disbelief).

The only miracle in Miracle Day is if the characters are able to stop being so moronic and if they're actually able to get me interested in the story. I'll keep watching until the end as I've liked the show in the past, but god, if future series are as bad as this I don't think I'll be coming back for more.
Aug 24, 2011
I loved seasons 1 & 2, and "The children of earth" but MD needs to be edited way down. To slow on the reveals.

Aug 24, 2011
Okay, now I know why you are so in love with this version of TW - you never saw the good one. Seasons 1 and 2 were Torchwood, established Jack's immortality, his travels with the Doctor, his relationships with Gwen and Owen and Tosh, PC Andy, and, most especially, Ianto. You just don't know any better, do ya?

When RTD can't figure out what to do, he tortures Jack. Been there, Jack has the collection of holey t-shirts to prove it. Or else he kills people. It must be dramatic gold if someone dies, right?

BTW, Jack's capacity to lust is well established. Love?? Yeah, that's a little out of his reach, IMO.
Aug 24, 2011
Rex and Esther called PC Andy back in Cardiff, and it was easy for him to muster a SWAT team being a police officer and all. Since Gwen was in the States, they were holding her family hostage at her Mom's house, so it was pretty easy for Andy to find that, too. Which you would have known if you had been paying attention.

As for the love affair between Jack and Angelo ... well, if you've never been in love, you won't understand how it comes without warning and takes no prisoners. And that relationship you disparage is the key to the rest of the story. So shut up and watch a little more carefully next time.
Aug 24, 2011
To understand why Gwen didnt try to save her family with Jack you really need to watch Season 1 and 2! And generally Doctor Who too :)

Once you watched Season 1 and 2 you will see how much the storylines differ from this season and how they were are so much better than this one...
Aug 23, 2011
I find TW miracle days very slow in general. To me it feels like a 3 part stretched to 9 episodes. Sad because I loved Torchwood a lot. The love story to me was not so much a "love story" than an obsession story. With Angelo being obsessed/guilt ridden. So it made sense him tracking down Jack
Aug 24, 2011
I could make this season with 5 episodes, maybe 6 since we have three more to go.
Aug 23, 2011
bigot.
Aug 23, 2011
YEAH, YOU KINDA MISSED A LITTLE SOMETHING IN THE FIRST TWO SEASONS.... PLOT OUTLINING!! jeez man. i didn't read the rest of the article... didn't want to. don't talk sh1t about torchwood, i will find you. no matter where the episodes take us, you shut up and go along for the ride... or you turn the channel and miss out on the beauty that is torchwood (and captain jack harkness). that is all. (please watch the 3 seasons of torchwood that are out)
Aug 23, 2011
I love Torchwood but hope what's been on starz comes on demand or on bbc so i can atleast see the show to catch up i want to know what is happing
Aug 24, 2011
Not too worth the wait. at least Dr who starts back up saturday!
Aug 23, 2011
Do you even watch these episodes except in fast forward? This episode gave us the who and the why, not to mention the Easter eggs. It also told us Gwen is at the breaking point, enough so that she would give up Jack. This show CANNOT lose another main character, yes you are a n00b to the show, but this is by far the most deadly show to star in (hell , before this season we lost the ENTIRE Torchwood team - Jack and Gwen)
Aug 23, 2011
Whether it was or wasn't love between the two of them is not important as much as the fact that Jack knew Angelo before and that he is back again is. I think this gave us the info we will need for next episodes.

Considering the scene from the car with Jack and Gwen, i agree it was great and dramatic, but i wish to tell you that it would have made more sense if you have watched previous episodes (seasons 1-3) ;)
Aug 23, 2011
This was a great episode that made the people who have seen every episode of Torchwood a fan again. Up until this episode, this season has sucked! Who cares if Jack is Bi? Was there too much of him and Angelo together? Yes! But this story angle gave the audience a recap of Jacks life and all of the pain a man that cannot die has went through. Excellent episode, only wish Owen and Ianto were still alive.
Staff
Aug 23, 2011
Seems like a split reaction to this episode. My biggest problem was I didn't buy that Jack and Angelo were in love. It seemed they had a good time, but honest to goodness heart aflutter love? I didn't see it.

To those of you saying I need to watch all of Torchwood to be able to write about the series now, I came clean right off the bat in the disclaimer. I wish I had the time to catch up, but I didn't.

Also - we're working on that spammer. But you have to admit, $22.87 for an iPad2 is quite the bargain!
Aug 24, 2011
The Angelo actor either can't act, or is completely unbelievable. His accent was painful to the ear, there was no love, no longing, no lust, just a really long stupid sex scene in a really long, stupid flashback, that did give some important backstory, but it could have been done soo much better, and faster. the majority of this episode belonged in another rather empty episode.
Aug 23, 2011
The ending of this episode was one big cop out and poorly concieved=lacked any credibility.

The scenes between Jack and Gwen told us nothing we did not already know and just seemed to be more of Gwen ranting and CJ being ineffectual.The only bit of interest was Gwen saying that the death of past team members made he feel important--sad lady.

The Angelo sequence was okay except that we are back in oh to familiar territory--Jack is betrayed,CJ boyfriend or past is in some way linked to the miracle and CJ dies again and again+torture--they really need to find some new angles to develope the charactor--overall so far there is far to much repetitonion from past eps and Doctor Who and the generally it lacks decent dialogue and pacing.
Aug 22, 2011
I watched the original 3 seasons and I agree, this episode fell short. There was nothing about Angelo that really won me over to think he deserved Jack- quite the opposite with the whole stabby part. As a side note, I'm a bit disappointed with Jack in this season. A big piece of awesome for the original series was that you didn't know who Jack was going to go for; he was aggressively bisexual and it made for a stronger connection between he and Gwen. I think some of these scenes fall sort with them because the audience doesn't know that, back in the day, a strong undercurrent was whether Gwen would choose normal and sweet Reese, or wild and dangerous Jack. As John Barrowman said in an interview, in the Starz version, Jack is a "big gay hero"; he's great and fun but he seems to be missing some of the depth as a character he had in the original.

On the re-killing Jack scenes, I believed it; people are cruel. A murderer can assuage his conscience if he thinks what he's killing isn't human (a la category one).

As for favorite flashback episodes, the show New Amsterdam takes the cake. It was only 8 episodes long but it is still one of my favorite shows. The main character was immortal and every episode there were flashbacks to his different careers and paths in his many centuries living in NYC.

Also, I loved the doctor reference.
Aug 22, 2011
I have to disagree. I thought it was a good episode that provided some important keys to the whole mystery. Plus Nana Visitor rocks!

I did think the previous two episodes drug a bit and could have easily been boiled down into a single offering.

My only concern is that I hope the plot is a little more involved than simply "Jacks old boyfriend wants to end the world so they can die together."
Aug 22, 2011
thier was nothing wrong with episode, nothing at all it served multiple purposes as a explain before!! as for Flashbacks (Lost, Xena, Buffy,Angel, Walker Texas ranger) did the best, I dont watch Fringe so I Cant comment on that!! as for Torchwood being americanized I disagree bigtime

Let me explain when I first started watching Dr Who it was on SyFY, now syfy was behind BBC but somehow they got ahead no big deal , now On SyFy being cable let certain word s fly, when torchwood came it was on BBCAmerica okay and they let thing slide a bit more that Sy FY but when SYFY quit showing Dr WHO, I just started watching DR Who on BBCA, now I bought the the First 4 sereies and the specials on Dr WHO and Torchwood on dvd(do not have series 5 of Dr Who) and to my surprise they censored B*tch on Dr Who but they let the word SH!T fly by this makes no sense, so for Torchwood to be on Starz on premuim channel they are more open to do things (language, sex, violence, nudity whatever) the spirit on Torchwood is their bigtime in Miracle Day plus mentioning the Dr was needed at some point!!! hell I'm waiting for the Dr, RORY, and Amy to make an Cameo great episode perion
Aug 22, 2011
Fringe have the best flashback episode, this americanized torchwood would've been a lot better off if the series stayed in the UK and have no american influence
Aug 22, 2011
Lost's "Ab Aeterno" is my best fashback....hands down!!
Aug 22, 2011
Well, I'm glad you wrote the disclaimer at the beginning, as it makes understanding your comments easier to understand. Ah, the romance Jack has is EXTREMELY important and for those of us who have been with the series from the start it is exciting, fun, and cool! Way to go JACK! My only disappointment is you didn't learn to forgive him and let him come with you. On the other hand, well, I'm sure it was for the best given I suspect he still loves you big time.

The romance in this viewer's opinion is wonderful and really helps make the story line! It doesn't slow it down in the least.
Aug 22, 2011
I didn't like this episode not because of what the writer wrote. I didn't like it because I feel that each episode, the story goes one step back further than gradually revealing what really is going on. That is not a bad thing for some people but I just don't like. The author obviously has not watched the first 2 seasons and it seems that he just can't appreciate the show. To me, this season isn't as good as Children of Men but I can see that they are going for a different approach. I was excited to see NANA VISITOR at the en!. That I did not expect.
Aug 22, 2011
LOVE the new Torchwood, it has it has more grit then previous seasons but still cant stand the Gwen character. The latest episode I enjoyed thoroughly, and it showed that Jack has never really been able to trust Gwen, this being the second time she has betrayed him, let Christmas come early and kill her off........possibilities of Owen returning hmmmmmm would LOVE to see that. but Tim really how did you get your job what a douche. Torchwood is one of the best shows on TV definitely not like that Spielberg TRIPE on that other station what is it Oh i forgot because Falling Skies is more like falling terds
Aug 22, 2011
Not liking the new Torchwood or Children of Earth for that matter. They have taken all the fun out of it that was in the first 2 seasons. And I think this episode was horrible. I feel as if the new Torchwood is waving its arms in the air saying, "Hey! Look at how open minded we are!" by focusing on all the men in Jack's life. But hello! Jack is not gay, he is bisexual! (or gender/species-blind) Also, it was really retarded if it was that easy to get Jack there was no need to use Gwen!
Aug 22, 2011
Tim, you clearly don't get the series overall. First off, what makes you think the writers are trying to sell this episode as a love story?? What Jack and Angelo had was definitely LUST, but that's the kind of relationship Jack has always had. If you had bothered to watch the first 2 seasons of Torchwood (including Jack's appearances in the new Dr. Who series), you'd understand that. But even from a new viewer's perspective, I'm fairly sure nobody else got the impression this was a "love story". The flashback simply provided background circumstances for how Angelo and Jack met. As far as the contact lenses and how Rex and Esther figured out how to track down where Gwen's family was being held, again, for pre-"Miracle Day" Torchwood fans, it was nothing new. The lenses have been used in a previous Torchwood plot prior to "Miracle Day". Also, let's not forget that Rex & Esther are ex CIA agents. I'm sure it wouldn't have been that difficult for Esther (who seems to have a knack for hacking) to determine where Gwen's family was being held. Also (just for some background info), the police officer who shot one of the captors at the end was a semi-regular in the original Torchwood series. Finally, you asked about what kind of people would repeatedly try to kill a man who wouldn't die. When Jack is killed, he really does DIE (again, another fact regular fans know). The sickos who kept killing him got a thrill from knowing they could kill him over & over again. Yes, there are actually human beings like this in the world. It's sad, but true.
Aug 22, 2011
Having just watched the episode I more or less agree with what I posted earlier on what I would probably think about the episode: I'm not as critical as Tim is on this thread, but I agree it wasn't that hot. I think they give some critical information as to what's going on and hint at why, but it was like they tried to hit it into you with a shovel. It's been so secretive for six episodes and then it more or less all unravels in one hour. What's more, the Miracle Day was so meticulously planned, and yet two new Torchwood members get the jump on the bad guys at the end of the episode (although it "didn't change anything").

I didn't mind watching it, but it was certainly not the best episode by any means. And I agree with a poster below that Torchwood is losing its touch to an extent -- better production value with season four, but something is missing.
Aug 22, 2011
I agree with you on almost all hour points. The only thingbhou left out was in how they going them and had S.W.A.T there?, they're Torchwood, that's how.
Aug 22, 2011
Producers can do anything they want to on television and in the movies, save for the taboo of promoting labor unions.
Aug 22, 2011
I loved season 1 to 3 but this season 4 is loosing its touch. I like Gwen with her jokes if it wasnt for her i wouldnt see Torchwood. Anyway dislike the nudity part, its too much. I have a 12year old boy who like watching torchwood but this episode most of the time i had to close his eyes. I like little bits of jack fooling with men but this episode was too much. It was really upsetting
Aug 22, 2011
Why is your 12 year old watching Torchwood in the first place. Way too mature. You can't be upset because it's 2 men, are you?
Aug 22, 2011
First of all, I'm a fan of Torchwood and Doctor who from the first day and I have to say you're wrong, Torchwood is Doctor who's spin off, not the other way. Also as a Torchwood fan I have to say that flashback are nothing new for the viwers, as we saw in season's two "Fragments"

About Jack and his love story, is Jack, he's not the prototipe of romantic, he has never said "I love you" not to the original captain Jack Harkness, not to Ianto before he died, not to any of his previous lovers. He's hurt, he has seen many important people to him died. I love Jack and Angelo's moments, because they're learning about each other, they look into each other eyes, and find new things. Jack always wanted to have a companion as he said about the Doctor but he didn't want him to be hurt. Angelo is new in Jack's world, and he fails (The butcher moment, was incredible, all Torchwood back) and that's when Jack understand, Angelo is not the proper companion, not as Ianto (I miss him so much)

I'm enjoying this season, is the old Torchwood, with many new things and now that we're facing the end of it, I'm very intrigued about "the triangle" and Angelo.
Aug 22, 2011
I agree. I miss Lanto very much also. I don't know if I like the American characters trying to relace the old cast, it seems creepy. A tough guy, a tech, the doctor who they pretty much got off the show right as soon as she joined Torchwood. Where is the Unit or whatever that British organization is.
Aug 22, 2011
This series is getting worse by the episode. I am now only watching it because I want to know who-done-it (and because Esther is cute). This whole episode stank of 'trying to shock'... and it failed, spectacularly. Although Major Kira showing up at the end was a suprise.

Fave flashback, the ones in Fringe were excellent but I loved the one in The West Wing that showed how the 'team' all got together.
Aug 22, 2011
This episode should have been about 15 or maybe 20 minutes long... it was doldrum, it lagged and dragged and was completely unbelievable and unrealistic. nothing about the 20's new york was believable. the scenes were terrible.... the love connection was unbelievable.... first Angelo gives the sign of the cross when Jack gives him his papers after using technology to alter them... then they are kissing.... and wow, talk about a loe scene that was slow, boring, and took far, far, yes far too long... it threw a wrench into a story that was already slow.

nice ending from the argument in the car, to Nana Visitor and the rescue, but geez, the entire middle, and the flashback was just a total miss. it provided backstory, but was written and excecuted more poorly than i have ever seen in any torchwood (or doctor who) episode i have ever seen, and think it may have alienated anyone who was watching this without much or any knowledge of either show before this season.
Aug 22, 2011
I think Torchwood has lost a lot of it's jest and this over-the-top gay stuff is absolutely distasteful and unnecessary. Just because you can do it on cable doesn't mean you should.
Aug 21, 2011
Please get another job if you are too lazy to have seen more of Torchwood. While I was not thrilled with the unnecessary nudity I appreciated the back story. It was an excellent episode.
Aug 23, 2011
I agree... DO we really have to see all that? ( not only the gay sex I like things to be implied and not watch soft porn ) I like flashback episodes and so that was fine... knowing that the 3 men made some sort of pact... they took Jack's blood oviously to test...so we now know how the Miricle Day got started. Good episode for that but less is better in some areas
Aug 21, 2011
it was just asses nothing major at all, hell if they wanted JahnessaNess they can show ass on network tv if they wanted to
Aug 22, 2011
There is some cock flopping in one of the scenes where one pushes the other onto the bed. I think Angelo was pushing Jack onto the bed. I'm not going back to check. I have nothing against it, the scene was just far too long, too graphic, too unbelievable, and doesnt belong in the middle of a sci-fi story that is aready dragging. I thought nearly all of the flashback scenes and dialogue were unbelievable... not just the sex scenes. Nothing about 20's new york felt belieable.
Aug 21, 2011
Ever since the end of Season 2 I thought Torchwood lost what it had. I disliked Season 3 and Season 4 is ok but at the moment its beginning to look like an anti-climax.

This episode was average in my opinion, it gave insight into Jack and Angelo and will be interesting to see where it goes from there but overall if Angelo is behind Miracle Day then I think that is pretty poor since we get a storyline that is built up to have an interesting reveal at the end of who is behind it but then we get introduced to a new person in this episode who claims to "possibly" be the big bad of the season.

It was much better in Seasons 1 + 2 when it was one story arc per episode whilst having an underlined story in the background. Season long story arcs work for some shows but for Torchwood I'd have to say, no. In my opinion Children of the Earth was poor and Miracle Day is better but still not as good as the classic Torchwood.

Killing Owen and Tosh off in Season 2 also made it go downhill. Unfortunately Torchwood will never be what it used to be but I am still looking forward to seeing how the season ends whether it will be an anti-climax or not.
Aug 22, 2011
I agree that seasons one and two were much better, I was very disappointed when they killed off Owen and Tosh. Children of the Earth was rubbish and I don't think Miracle Day is much better. The recent episode was the worst and considering the last one was particularly poor, that's saying something.
Aug 22, 2011
At least they gave us owen for a tiny bit after they killed him. sort of like they killed him twice, but i would love to have either of them on this show. Children of the earth was ok at best... this (Miracle Day) seemed better, but now i am starting to wonder
Aug 21, 2011
season three was just Children of the Earth and that was just fantastic great mini series just great
Aug 21, 2011
Didn't like the romance, no. It didn't resonate. Jack and Gwen rocked. Esther and Rex taking on Kira was waaay convenient. But if you don't understand how they tracked the contact lenses you haven't been paying attention to season 3 & 4 either!

The cult-killings of Jack seemed pretty obvious. They were stabbing him to collect his blood believing they could harness his immortality. They became the cult of the Blessing (working out of the Blessed Saints Cathedral where Jack and Angelo got caught) that Jack learned about last week as having a connection to the Miracle. That's what I gathered.

I think this was a necessary 'story-transport' episode, but so was the last one so let's hope it's full speed ahead from now on =)

I don't know why they keep name-dropping The Doctor. It doesn't seem like they're ever going to have another DW/TW crossover. Both shows have evolved so far away from the common ground they shared during the Tennant era. I'm thinking mainly in production value/design of the shows. But seriously, does anyone see Jack Harkness tagging along with wacky Matt Smith?
Aug 21, 2011
Fantastic episode....liked the detour into more of Jacks story and how it might link in....pretty raunchy...great, love it....although probably won't go down well with a US audience...the gay sex thing will make the puritan, evangelical tea partiers get their nickers in a knot. Can't wait to see how Angelo links in with the rest of the story.....well done RTD!!!!!
Aug 21, 2011
I've watched torchwood from the beginning and like jack and gwen but they made such a colossal mistake killing 3/4 of the characters at the end of last season. The pacing doesn't bother me, I have no problem with slow its always been a bit hit and miss plot wise. I like Jack, but I feel hes too much of an enigma. I need to feel for him as a character and i really don't and before anyone jumps down my throat thinking its because hes gay, you couldn't be MORE wrong, bring on more gay central characters. We just don't know much about him, so don't feel for him in whatever circumstance he falls into. Love Gwen but even shes lacking this season.

Aug 21, 2011
with respect, clearly your perspective is missing a huge point that, doctor who and torchwood is not like any other sci fic series around. the whole idea is that they are different in all ways possible.

i totally agree with prrhus, one should watch a few doctors and previous versions of torchwood to see the whole picture.

this episode was expected and very well developed. in fact i was wondering why they were this late.
Aug 21, 2011
Agreed...I loved it....and why wouldn't you watch the previous incarnations of the show if you're reviewing it....that's just lazy....
Aug 21, 2011
Tim, I'm logging into this account after 4 years just to say that, while I always enjoy your reviews (especially Game of Thrones), please watch Doctor Who (2005-2011) and all the seasons of Torchwood. I know this is your perspective, but it wouldn't bad to broaden it. although I agree that this wasn't a very good episode but it wasn't terrible. I loved that dialogue that took place in the car, between Jack and Gwen.
Aug 21, 2011
this was not the weakest episode not even close, number one it gave us a little history to Jack, number 2 it gave us an potential explanation of the mircle and yes I knew it was an possibility it was Angelo number 3 you should have known that Reese, daughter and Mom would be rescued, number 4 Nana Vistor I actually like the episode
Aug 21, 2011
Weakest episode of the season yet, I didn't like the flashbacks (the story just wasn't appealing to me) & I don't like how they are turning Jack into the doctor. He even stole the doctor's line ("Run"). I am hoiping they will redeem themselves with the next few episodes though.
Aug 21, 2011
The whole gay affair turned me off. But I skipped ahead. Too bad if you don't care for my opinion, but that's it. I stopped watching the Torchwood TV series because it was distracting to the entire flow of the show. Even too much hetero sex would've turned me off as well, if it wasn't necessary. I don't get the whole gay thing, but if you do, fine. I just don't like it rubbed in my face for all the wrong reasons. Now before you start analyzing my prohibitions to suit your life-view consider that I am also an atheist, highly educated, successful, prefer speculative fiction over sci-fi, watch more movies than TV, and I'm a heavy coffee drinker. I'm sure with a little effort anyone could spin those attributes into my psyche profile to discredit my opinions. Fine, as well. But it sticks. The gay stuff is for shock value and of little import to the T:MD tale besides showing that Jack has 'needs' beyond his need to save the world. I don't care if you're gay, just keep your bedroom exploits out of my entertainment programming.

The rest of the program was rather dull. Except for the torture scenes. The messianistic references were crude but effective. I do so love a good myth. I too have been waiting for the hints to disclose MD so that I may gauge my own theories. Filler is okay but even too much filler can ruin a good pie.

Don't watch then!
Aug 21, 2011
I find it hilarious that the sex scene turned you off, and you chose Kirk as your Avatar.

Your opinion is your opinion, and I shall weigh it with the same weight I do everyone elses. Thanks for playing.

As for the article, If the author is not familiar with the first three seasons of Torchwood, or Doctor Who, why would he expect anything to make sense? That would be like starting The Wheel of Time at The Lord Of Chaos and expecting it to make sense. There are three seasons of Torchwood before miracle Day. There is a tremendous amount of back story and nuance that if you have not seen it, then why are you watching Miracle Day? I do not think the story should be "dumbed" down for new commers, because that ruins it for those of us that love the series. Want to understand what happened and why? Watch the previous series!

Just my two cents worth....
Aug 21, 2011
I didn't read the article in detail as I haven't watched the episode yet, but sorry to hear it failed to impress (Tim, at least). I'm sure I'll find it slightly better as I HAVE seen all of Torchwood and as a poster below said it seems to point towards who might be responsible for Miracle Day, but I was hoping the regular story-line would continue.
Aug 21, 2011
It failed years ago. No need to blame only one episode.
Aug 21, 2011
I disagree, while it was a flash back, it told us who's behind mircle day and why, what it has to do with Jack and what he gave the people behind mircle day.

Its the Three guys making a pact and Angelo and the blood, they are behind it

thats the thing with torchwood, it doesn't treat its viewers like idiots and spelling everything out, you have to connect the dots.

And yes dragon22a, you're right, he shouldn't of known he was a fixed point in time, woops on the writer's part.
Aug 21, 2011
Thank you! That was the point I was trying to make earlier. I don't understand why people expect to be able to walk into the middle or later part of a story and have it all make sense. You can do that with almost all of America's Sitcoms, and that is why I don't watch them. Brain dead humor, and plots you can see coming after 10 seconds of preview. I want stories that make me think and speculate!
Aug 21, 2011
I was happy that we finally got a reference to the Doctor though the writing was a bit off in that Jack stated he was a fixed point in time when The Doctor had not told him yet because he would not find the Doctor again for another 80 years or so. The reference to the Trickster was interesting and well placed. Though that is not the one behind miracle day. I have a feeling that it has something to do with the blood that was taken from Jack in the 20s. It probably has some immortal properties.
Aug 21, 2011
somebody missed the point there... IMO best episode so far... at least we agree on the last week's episode.
Load More Comments