Totally Tubular May 19, 2016: Upfronts Breakdown, Lady Dynamite, Preacher, and More (PODCAST)

Upfronts are here, finally! In this week's Totally Tubular, Tim and I analyze all the relevant scheduling news, make our picks for most promising pilot, and consider why Limitless is being hung out to dry. After that, we dig into the week's premieres, including the very anticipated debut of Preacher and the absolutely unnecessary return of Wayward Pines. Along the way, we break down why Totally Tubular, like CBS's abandoned Drew pilot, skews too female.

As always, click below to listen to Episode 77. You can subscribe to the podcast on iTunesStitcher, and Google Play! You also find recent episodes by clicking on the "Podcast" tab on the news section of the site. Here's the segment rundown:

... 01:18 – 37:39 – Upfront News Round-Up

... 37:40 – 47:21 – Netflix's Lady Dynamite

... 47:22 – 58:16 – AMC's Preacher

... 58:17 – 01:06:18 – Fox's Wayward Pines

... 01:06:19– 01:20:07 – Mailbag!

Our theme song is "On the Television," by BOCrew. (c) 2012 Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial (3.0) license. Ft: JAVOLENUS / THEDEEPR / JAMES NICK SOLDER

As always, we'd really love to hear from you folks. Leave your questions about anything TV-related in the comments, or get in touch with Tim and me on Twitter (@timattvdotcom and @corybarker).

Aug 04, 2016
What Happened to Totally Tubular ???
Are you taking a podcast summer break or is it over ?!? :(
It shouldn't be over ! I have a burning question .... lol

Someone fill me in on what's going on....
May 24, 2016
I'm concerned about The Middle being moved from it's longtime home on Wednesdays to opposite juggernaut NCIS on Tuesdays. Is this funny, sweet, but under-appreciated show strong enough to not only survive, but boost a new comedy block?
May 23, 2016
Guys! I still dont get why Person Of Interested got the boot. I read an article somewhere, about how Poi was not a CBS production like Elementary for example so CBS didnt make enough money to justify having the show return

Could you elaborate? Its so sad that the show is ending and the numbers weren't actually that bad!

Thank-iou!
Jun 05, 2016
The production company was making a profit but CBS wasn't. Since CBS didn't own it they weren't getting anything from it so they cancelled it.
May 21, 2016
I have a question but some comments first - I promise I'm getting to the question. I love listening to this podcast but when I hear you guys say "it's not for everybody" it always translates to "this show kinda sucks but we're weird so we like it". It happened this week with the weird comedienne's show on Netflix. I could barely get through twenty minutes. but I keep checking them out just in case. I haven't been proven wrong yet - all those that you've tagged this way have been pretty terrible. OK, question:

- Has there been any shows you doomed with this phrase that people actually watched? Basically when you said "this show is not for everybody" and everybody actually liked it.

Sorry if the above sounded combative, even though I disagree with you guys 90 percent of the time, it's not an angry kind of disagreement and I listen 95 percent of the time. Great work and keep it up :)
May 25, 2016
Well I guess you are somebody, you didn't like it, then it's not for everybody. I did like it. Am I somebody ?
May 20, 2016
I listed to the whole podcast this time, and enjoyed it very much. My thoughts:
1. Michael Weatherly is NOT playing Dr. Phil in Bull. It's a character who has the same, or a similar job that Phil McGraw had at one time, analyzing juries. I think it sounds pretty interesting.
2. The trailers for Timeless and The Good Place look pretty good. I'll check them out.
3. Preacher is not for me. And I'm pretty sure whoever wrote it is going to The Bad Place.
Jun 05, 2016
Weatherly is effectively playing him. It will be hard for people who know about the connection not to think about Dr. Phil when watching. It's sort of like the connection in Bones between the character and the author.
Jun 06, 2016
I'm sure they used Dr. Phil's name, not only because he's involved, but to bring in viewers. Unfortunately, I think that's backfired. Still, it's Michael Weatherly, and the show will be following NCIS, so people will tune in. It remains to be seen how good it is.
Jun 06, 2016
Because it's behind NCIS it should get enough viewers to last at least 13 episodes and will probably run a full season. The preview seems to cover the whole first episode. I was going to watch the pilot but after seeing the preview I have no interest in it whatsoever.
May 20, 2016
I enjoyed Wayward Pines aside from the big issue of the 'kids' taking over at the end of the series. I will be watching season 2 with the hope that the writers can keep the series interesting.
May 20, 2016
Those were some really good examples. Thanks guys.
May 19, 2016
I enjoy WAYWARD PINES.

It was a great upfronts season. Not substantially bothered by any cancellation, & many many shows I didn't like are thankfully gone to make way for new shows I might very much enjoy.

On pilots not (or not yet) picked up, I hope ABC successfully redevelops THE JURY with Archie Punjabi! I'd like to know if CBS has any continuing interest (or redeveloping) SECTION 13 and FOUR STARS? I hope that as anticipated SYFY picks up KRYPTON!

I do want to see the return of LIMITLESS on CBS or another network or cable channel.
May 20, 2016
Limitless grew into an entertaining and very quirky show. Great acting by the lead. Would watch a second season but if not renewed then at least there was some closure given.
May 20, 2016
I agree though generally I have less concern for closure than most people do. My concern is also more geared to shows where there's a mystery (especially in science fiction) to be explained as opposed to a mere cliffhanger or a will the male & female lead finally copulate etc.

Of the 71 shows I currently watch (year round), I'd right now be disappointed about only 3 of them if they had been cancelled without planned closure to the story: COLONY, HUNTERS, & BLACKLIST.
May 20, 2016
Blacklist is my favorite Network show and I would be shocked if closure was not given whenever it does end.
I am hoping that any series that runs long enough to generate some DVD sales will provide some closure to boost sales.

May 20, 2016
HOMELAND is my favorite premium cable show. SVU is my favorite network show. THE ROYALS is my favorite cable show. Since this is tv.com owned by CBS, I'll add that NCIS is my favorite CBS show (but ranks #26 overall on my list, but CBS has the highest # of shows I'll watch with 18 including new shows).