Totally Tubular October 15, 2015: Nathan For You, The Knick, Fall Ratings, and More (PODCAST)

The wave of significant premieres might be subsiding, but the typhoon known as Totally Tubular absolutely does not! In this week's episode, Tim and I break down some big news involving comic-related stuff coming to TV, chat about the greatness of Nathan For You, and break down the good, the bad, and the ugly of the ratings for the fall's new shows. Tim also delivers some real talk on Halloween costumes and peanut butter.

Click below to listen to Episode 50! Please do us a favor and subscribe/rate on iTunes, and you can also subscribe to the show on Stitcher. And here's the segment rundown:

... 01:40 – 18:08 – News Round-Up (Marvel TV, NBC's Seeso)

... 18:09 – 26:04 – The CW's Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

... 26:05 – 36:30 – Comedy Central's Nathan For You

... 36:31 – 47:10 – Cinemax's The Knick

... 47:11 – 01:04:36 – Fall Ratings Discussion

... 01:04:37 – 01:20:42 – Mailbag!

This week's song: "Son of Placenta Previa," by Cliff Martinez (from The Knick)

Last week's podcast, in which we talked about ManhattanAmerican Horror Story: HotelFargo, and so much more, can be found right here.

As always, we'd really love to hear from you folks. Leave your questions about anything TV-related in the comments, or get in touch with Tim and me on Twitter (@timattvdotcom and @corybarker).

Oct 21, 2015
I was reading about the Community situation and how it lost money for Yahoo and got to thinking.

Do you believe that production studios and actors are overpaid? (Joel McHale would agree). Could that be the reason why so many shows are failing? I mean are "famous" or at least well known actors in on TV just for a quick payday or do they actually care about the outcome?

Also in my mind, if a network (cable or not) spent less on a show there would also be less pressure on them to produce positive numbers.

Food for thought!
Oct 21, 2015
Brace yourselves, it's gonna be a long one...

Now that we've seen what Sleepy Hollow looks like in 2 different takes - more serialized in season 1 and an ugly-ass hybrid of serialized (first several eps) and stand-alone stories (middle part of the season) in season 2 - which one you think worked better? (obviously season 1) And how long do you think it will be before the wheels come off the bus and we have "season 2 - take 2" in season 3? Or did the showrunner change made the show better and there is a chance that it will recover and become awesome again? What's your take on season 3 so far? And does it bother anyone that Ichabod seems to know / heard of / encounter almost every demon and monster they go up against?
Oct 21, 2015
Hey guys, I assumed when I was younger that TVs had the power to automatically record information about what you were watching, and that that's how networks gathered their data. But the Nielsen system seems incredibly flawed to me; the sample size is too small and the entries could be completely inaccurate. It's strange that networks put all their weight behind ratings, but don't seem to have a very effective system for it. Do you guys have ideas for a more effective system?
Oct 19, 2015
I have no idea if this is a recent thing or not but I noticed in a few shows I've watched recently that they've had flashbacks to scenes earlier in the episode. Is this just because they couldn't flesh out all 42 minutes of the episode and need to fill time, or do they think audiences have the memory of a goldfish?
Oct 17, 2015
Another question(s) :
Did you ever watch ER and how much did you care for it ? What would have to happen for it to FINALLY get on one of the countless streaming services ??? And do you think NBC might reboot the show someday ? (LOL)
Oct 17, 2015
Hey guys, great podcast. Question:

I've noticed that comedies that start with a distinctive plot or philosophy quickly turn into almost plotless, genial, character-driven shows. See Cougar Town, Parks and Recreation, Married, maybe even Marry Me. That doesn't mean they become worse shows but why is it so hard for comedies to be different?
Oct 17, 2015

Hey guys. Check out the link above , by now you probably will have seen it . Unfortunately this news just came out yesterday and I didn't see it on time for this week's podcast but here's my question for next week :

1.-what are your thoughts on that ? Do you think it's an important issue ?
Do we think enough about "Homeland's" apparent racism and just tolerate it for the action or did this maybe not stand out much with everything else the show's got going on ? I'm also partly asking myself because I admit at times I just take 'Homeland' for what it is but I think it's worth giving it a thought.
2. Could you imagine a world in which you would get so sick of writing for or about TV that you would quit for good or for a while ? (For example : if at one point the TV landscape consisted mainly of Marvel shows , or Reboots or watered-down procedurals etc. )

Oct 16, 2015
Hey guys ure damn right, ure the best tv podcast on the internet (just like matt damon is the best botanist on mars!) lol! my question is: nowadays on tv we have some really good vfx (the flash, got, agents of shield... the upcoming shannara on mtv) which was not the case a few years ago! do u think that within like 5 years from now we re gonna be able to have avengers like vfx on tv? i certainly hope so and when that happens do u think we will ever get to see a netflix star wars series become reality? or star trek come back to tv in their full big screen glory? thanks!
Staff
Oct 15, 2015
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is on at 8pm ahead of Jane the Virgin. God, you guys can't do anything without me.
Staff
Oct 16, 2015
Ugh. Who cares, it's going to get cancelled anyway.
Oct 16, 2015
"Crazy Ex-Girlfriend will likely face a few difficulties overcoming its title, which conjures up unfair depictions of women as "crazy bitches." Women are not crazy for the things they're most often labeled crazy for—the description has become a catch-all for ignorant men who are unable to recognize or understand female wants and desires, or women at all." -Kaitlin.
Careful Cory, you don't want to step into Kaitlin's ignorant basket.