Touch: Toward an Understanding of the Great Existential Facebook

Touch S01E07: “Noosphere Rising”

Let’s talk about this week's episode title, “Noosphere Rising,” because at first I thought it was some sort of typo.

The noosphere is believed to be the third phase of the Earth’s development. First came the geosphere—rocks, essentially the earth itself. Then came the biosphere—living organisms and the systems that support them. The noosphere is believed to be the sphere of human consciousness, according to a Russian geochemist and philosopher named Vernadsky. Bear with me, my background is in neither of those fields, at best I have a Sociology minor that did little more than make me sad about the world for three semesters, but BASICALLY, we’re talking about the interaction between human minds and how that interaction alters the biosphere.

And if that definition isn’t just a convoluted summary of Touch, I’ll eat my shoe.

When we left off last week, Arthur Teller, the only guy who seemed to have at least a vague understanding of what was going on, kicked it in his car. This week, he was still very well and truly dead. I may have been crossing my fingers for some sci-fi-esque redemption because Danny Glover is delightful, but fine, okay, Arthur is really dead for real. Clea checked out the security footage from the floor Teller was snooping on before his demise and found herself confused and intrigued when the footage went wonky at a certain point. Yup, the point when ghost/hallucination/whatever Amelia showed up.

Jake slipped Martin a key that Arthur gave to Jake after Martin asked Jake nicely for it. The trail led Martin to an underground poker game and a man named Logan Stanley, who was familiar with Teller’s work and was currently using the Amelia Sequence to make a killing at said underground poker game. Unfortunately for Logan, the Powers that Be assumed his good luck was a the result of some sort of cheating enabled by his dealer/crush, and since she was ordered to pay pack his $200,000 in winnings, she wasn’t much open to romance at the moment. Sucks to be you, bro.

With his usual partner off chasing a temperamental horse across Australia (yes, really) Logan convinced Martin to help him win enough money to help his almost-ladyfriend pay off the debt. They made a killing and Logan rewarded Martin for his assistance by telling him where Arthur stashed his research. I’m not entirely sure what Martin is supposed to make of said research without someone who understands it around to translate, but maybe Logan will stick around, or he can convince Arthur’s daughter to give the crazy another chance.

More likely, it looks as though Clea will join the crusade. She’s already halfway there anyway, right? After watching and re-watching the security footage for half of “Noosphere Rising” she spotted something, something weird and fast and... OH HEY AMELIA. Sup?

So, I guess that rules out hallucination, yes? And all of the implications of the noosphere, the idea of a global social network lends itself to ruling out ghosts as well. Amelia is THERE and Amelia is SOMETHING but exactly what that something is remains a mystery.

And since the driving force behind this series has just taken a turn toward the more scientific and away from the particularly spiritual, I’m clinging to my theory that Sheri Strapling knows more than she’s letting on. And I REALLY don’t like Aunt Abigail’s sudden interest in all of this, especially with all of her hinting at big important connections and BFF vibe with Strapling.

What are your thoughts?

Notes and Observations:

1. I’m absolutely delighted every single time the Happy Pop Twins show up and I’m glad they have an actual name now. They appear regularly enough, why shouldn't they have a (somewhat) proper title?

2. I kinda saw where the Natalie storyline was going, but it was still ridiculously satisfying when she ended up with Paolo at the end. I don’t know, I think I’m getting mushy in my old age.

Sooner or later, Dad's going to have to Touch the kid. Maybe to pull him from harm's way?

Sooner or later, Dad's going to bed the social worker. Maybe after pulling her from harm's way?

Always liked Kiefer Sutherland and his Dad, Donald. Now gaining respect for the little guy in this show.
I love this show because the storylines are unusual and keep me wondering what will happen next. I also enjoy the chemistry between father and son, and am happy to see Kiefer Sutherland on TV again. I have been touched by each episode and can't wait for more. For those of you who do not like/enjoy the show, change the channel!!!
It does not help their ratings any placing this New series against Grey's and former new one Person of Interest. Fox should have put it on before House since old Bones is already safe and established and renewed. I watch HGTV at 7pm Mondays. Poor Bones won't suffer so I don't feel bad at all. lol I love Touch. Not every guy can have 3 jobs leave whenever they want to chase an Autistic child and solve cases while still not losing any of those 3 jobs in process! LOL
the worst of them all episodes. "Mushy" is understatement, and Natalie was equally boring and irritating, especially the video blog part. I will give Touch one more episode and it will follow the Terra Nova.
i also loved Natalie's story but i don't know what to say about Paolo... i mean he calls the blonde girl his love at first sight and is capable to go to New York for her and yet he changes his mind so easily and decides to fall for Nataly...it's a little weird. Someone that falls in love that easily will fall out of love just as fast. oh, and... the Japanese girls rule!!!!!
First I agree the Happy Pop Twins are awesome , second another great episode
And hey, we are only 7 episodes in. Why complain about things that surely will come. I see it the way that the show is setting up a tone and some mysteries for us to follow - and the bigger picture lays ahead.
I love it. Even thought some episodes are not as good as the beginning its still fun and exciting to watch. I dont see the point of "dropping out" of the show now? Why dont give it a season and see where it goes?
It's not like I'm overly cynical or hate love or something along the lines of being a mean ol' grinch, but I HATED the Natalie story, especially the obvious ending. I'm sorry, but uh, BARF. I hated it enough that I was hoping one of the people who followed Natalie's blog that showed up at the restaurant was some sort of deranged psycho that kills everyone.

Anyways, now that I've established my own psychopathy, I think I'm pretty close to giving up on this show. Touch is almost like a police procedural, except instead of a detective, Martin's just a regular ol' guy... and instead of a case-of-the-week, we just get a number-of-the-week. It's not particularly fun watching Martin just running around telling strangers he thinks he's supposed to help them, while a couple of other pointless stories go on that just incorporates the number-of-the-week.
"I hated it enough that I was hoping one of the people who followed Natalie's blog that showed up at the restaurant was some sort of deranged psycho that kills everyone."

No, way! Everybody knows there are no creeps on the Internet.

Exactly! That risk does exist. Paolo and Natalie don't know the first thing about each other, and she acts like she found her Prince Charming. he could be a con artist or have a foot fetish, for all she knows. She was extremely naive.
I too saw exactly where the Natalie arc was going, but damn I loved that ending with them. I'm glad we are starting to see recurring characters more, what with the nurse this week, and the Happy Pop Twins. I know Tim Kring doesn't want this to go down the route Heroes did, with the same characters getting so intermingled it just got messy, but I feel like with these new people every week, it works for an episode, but it really starts to wane on you. I'm glad they're pushing the overarching arc, and save a few standout one-shots like with Natalie, I feel like this show can't go on without more interactions of the same characters for a few episodes at least.

"science cant explain this phenomenon,

but religion does"

...

Are u kiddin me...

All this bs and now this.

Why numbers connects people?

Because RELIGION!

Too easy solituon.

Actually, i was very hopeful for this show. Now not that much.
I love Touch, so I'm not like some of the cynical commenters below that dislike this show because they're averse to making people happy, or they don't think the show is realistic enough. Who says it's supposed to be realistic?

However I do have to complain STRONGLY about the Australian accents in this episode. I am Australian and love that Australians were included in the show (even if the subplot was very strange and not really that satisfying) but the accents were ATROCIOUS. No one in Australia talks anything like that. Nearly all Australian accents on American TV and Movies are just awful. Isn't it about time they starting getting this right!

I also think that the leap the story took this week with the Amelia Sequence being deterministic was hilariously silly. When applied to winning poker obviously it means that you will always get hands with two aces and two 8s and then you will always win. Was it too much for me to expect that they might have thought of a subtler link between the numbers and determinism? Was the show not claiming in early episodes that the Fibonacci Sequence/Golden Mean was also a part of the show's mythology?

Still, this show is very good.
Completely agree about the accents, they were so bad I found it hard to concentrate on the scenes. There are literally thousands of Aussie actors in Hollywood these days- they couldn't hire some of them??
you don't want to know what Russians are thinking about Russian accents in Touch, really :)
What, are you complaining the Australian accents and poker games were unrealistic now? They are not supposed to be realistic. They can make up Australians speaking the way they want, and it's OK. By the way, when I first heard them I thought they were in Ireland...

We all have expectations that the characters will correspond in their behavior to a reality we can relate to, otherwise it gets impossible to comprehend the characters' actions and motivations.
Hm only 1 guy said "unrealistic". And I'm pretty sure he meant the same like me when I said "unreal" - I actually meant sound and logical within the show's own world. And that it just isn't. They just come up with a "Tadaaaaa!"-resolutions and we are left to believe that 20 Persons influenced each other JUST like Jake wanted in a web of complex interactions - only because he gave his father a number and ran off once in a while. Also: In the 1st/2nd episode Jake was said to be able to read electromagnetic waves. If this is his source there have been multiple scenes know where he wouldn't have been able to "read" stuff happening on the other side of the world, actually not even 2 blocks away...how long does your WLAN reach?

Also, you said it yourself: I expected more math in the show. I feel Kring only kind of googled stuff without actually hiring a scientific advisor (like in Numb3rs). With actual mathematical background the stories would have a solid ground which they don't have. Right know Jake is not doing anything remotely connected to mathematics. He is only writing numbers. For all we know he may hear them in his head. So they havened even consequently explored the shows own premise here.

Hey man, I really wanted to like this show. The pilot was one of the best since a long time. Noone is averse to making people happy. I just want to be able to buy all that happy group huggin and what leads to it. I wish I could, but I don't.
More +
I'm really trying to see the whole point of this show, but I'm at a loss. First, I'm not even questioning the ludicrous coincidences that get everyone together. Total suspension of disbelief is required in that part.

The blogger girl. Irritating or adorable? I guess both. But come on, she decides this Italian guy is the one she should fall for just because of his willingness to cross over long distances to find his love? Come on, she doesn't know anything about him! Seriously, how can she say she's in love? Maybe his looks helped. I mean, would she be as impressed by a romantic gesture if Paolo were a kind of modern Cyrano, or were twice her age, fat and bald? And by the way, she lives in the US and he, in Italy, so is one of them just going to move to another country for someone you just met on the Internet? Let's get real!

The guy and the horse is another thing. He spend the entire episode running after the horse because I assume he wanted to own the place badly. I get that. And he conquers himself/nature/the horse/destiny/whatever to accomplish that. Then he simply gives the farm away? Didn't he begin all that because he needed to sell the place to make ends meet? If he had left the other old guy in charge as an administrator and had changed his mind about selling his farm, finding some way to make money out of it, I would get it. But the way they did it seemed totally unrealistic to me.

Oh, I don't know. This show is an oddity, the theme song sort of sticks in our head, so I may still want to follow just to see how they fool around with the same basic concept. Somehow I have more tolerance for ludicrous and unrealistic behavior than with teen vampires... Let's what happens to Jake, Martin dealing with Teller's research, ghost Amelia, the evil sister-in-law who wants to separate a father and a son...

But if the show is cancelled all of a sudden, I won't miss it.
It's based on the theory of quantum mechanics where if you know all the initial properties of a given system you can predict the future of that system.

Also the theory that even things that look completely random and chaotic to us, that there is some order to that "chaos" and it is following a specific pattern

And since we understand the universe through math and numbers, it kindda points out that if you know the math you can predict the future. And basically Jake can predict the future and wants to stop bad things from happening; that's it really, it's just that since he's a kid and doesnt talk his father has to try and understand the numbers and stop the stuff for him.

So it kindda tries to point out that there are no coincidences, that everything is timed and planned to follow a certain route even if the thing itself doesnt know it.

e.g. push a boulder down a hill, the boulder doesnt know where it's going but you do. It doesnt know if it will hill a group of people, crash into a house, fall off a cliff; but you do. You can choose how and where to push the boulder. So here you can say the boulder is you and yout life, the hill is a timeline, and the person who pushed the boulder is the universe/god/whatever.
More +
Interesting. That puts the show into perspective. It reminds me of Isaac Asimov's psychohistory in which the character Hari Seldom predicts the future using math patters in the Foundation novels.

But somehow the premise looks much better than the execution.
No you silly fool!

It's not 318 5296 3287 9.5 22 975 1188

It's 318 5296 3287 9.5 22 975 6 1188

You forgot the bloody 6!
Word.
Natalie seemed like a jealous person to me who was going to do something very bad. She probably purposely did what she did because she knew or hoped she'll have that guy instead of Celeste.
Wow. You really have a cynical outlook on life, don't you?
I wish Touch was delivering more maths and fancy theories, conspiracy and all but this episode was just painful to watch. The love-is-king blogger story started quirky and charming enough but it ended up being cringeworthy... And the shirtless-man-hugs-horse-to-get-back-in-touch-with-his-humanity plot... Please... This show wants us to care about different random strangers each week while Jack's dad goes around town breathlessly following clues... Sorry but this is just not very interesting... I am checking out and I am not the only one, Touch has hit a new ratings low this week...
Me, too... unless I hear something crazy happens I don't think I'll watch anymore.

It's basically what aknu said below. I don't understand why everything has to be so ultra lucky in this show. Ok, Jake senses the future. But that doesn't mean that only he and his father can influence everything around them so that everyone comes out happy. That doesn't make sense. Bad things will happen and belong "to the universe" as much as good things (so IMHO the explanation of Jake "correcting the universe" is BS in the first place). However, even if bad things happen - like last week where hundreds of people died in a plane crash to save a crazy woman - it's forgotten very soon and we leave with a good feeling to celesta sounds.

I tried but I think it's too naive and unreal to me...sorry Touch.
I seriously think that Tim Kring has some 7th grade naive girls understanding of the world. People aren't all good and caring, and things don't fall into place like pieces of a happy fairy tale jigsaw puzzle. I really can't see where the point of this show is heading, and that Natalie blogger character, really really really got on my nerves from the very start, you really just wanted to smack her in the face. I don't know if it was the overacting or bad dialogue, or simply bad story but, ugh.

I'm not really sure as to why Tim Kring even keeps getting to make tv shows.
Why don't watch something else?