Touch's Season Finale Goes on the Run

Touch S01E11 & S01E12: “Gyre, Part 1” & "Gyre, Part 2"

It can be argued that Touch hit a bit of a sticky patch midway through its first season. We entered a sort of routine in each episode. We knew that a bunch of seemingly random storylines would be seamlessly connected by the end of the hour. We knew that Sinister Sheri would do something sneaky. We knew that Martin would follow Jake’s numbers every single time and always find a happy ending at the end of the equation.

I was never bored, per se, but I can sympathize with those who claimed that they were and when Touch lingered in will-they-or-won’t-they purgatory when renewal time came, well, I understood that too.

But for those of us who kept the faith, who kept tuning in, or at the very least poked our heads in on Jake, Martin, and the world every once in a while, I think we should pour some drinks, crank up some tunes, and party like it’s...well...not 1999. I was in middle school in 1999, so ’99 kind of sucked. Pick another year. Your call. But you get the idea.

Was that finale not two hours of (belated) badassery?

While Martin fretted over the upcoming custody hearing with Auntie Abigail, Jake dropped a glass dodecahedron through the windshield of a cop car. That went about as well as you’d expect. Sinister Sheri jumped on the opportunity to claim custody of Jake without going through all the formalities of a hearing. While hanging around the police station, Jake led Martin to a file about Amelia’s death three years earlier, a file that had no business existing what with Amelia popping up alive and not-so-well on that security camera a few weeks back.

On a beach in California, debris from the Japanese tsunami started to wash up on shore. A man named Wade tirelessly trekked into the water to retrieve items and didn’t take too kindly to being interrupted by Lucy—Amelia’s mom. Lucy assumed that he was salvaging items to sell on eBay, but eventually learned that Wade had been in Japan during the tsunami, trapped in a mall with a woman whom he assumed died when she was swept into the current after losing her grip on the railing that they shared. He felt guilty about being unable to help her, guilty about being evacuated a week later and watching the horrific aftermath of the disaster on his TV in a nice, cozy Seattle apartment—“like it never happened.” Wade wasn’t posting the items online to make a profit. He was hoping that a survivor would see one of the lost possessions online and contact him, but so far, no one had.

And finally, in Japan, a boy named Seiji had attracted media attention for his efforts to beat the world record for dribbling a soccer ball. The record was for 24 hours and he was several hours in. A news crew camped out in the tiny living room of his family’s government home. They had lost everything in the tsunami, including his father’s job, and the samurai sword that had been passed through the family for generations.

It just so happened that while snooping around Wade’s salvage tent, Lucy examined such a sword. I totally called it, but seeing it coming didn’t make the scene between Wade and the Osugi family any less sniffle-inducing. After being told once and for all that his position at his company was no longer available, Mr. Osugi retreated to a home that he disparagingly commented wasn’t even his. He further disrespected the home that he felt no real ties to by keeping his shoes on when he walked through the living room, startling Seiji, who dropped the soccer ball in his shock. The news crew retreated outside where Mrs. Osugi tried to run damage control and wound up giving an interview that Lucy saw on Wade’s laptop. She talked about her husband’s samurai family and held up the broken rack that once held the missing sword. Lucy matched the brand on the rack to the brand on the sword and excitedly dragged Wade over to the laptop. He was overjoyed to recognize Mrs. Osugi as the woman from the mall. Aww.

Back in New York, Martin dug through Amelia’s file for any sort of clue to prove that she was still alive. In the background, a video of one of Amelia’s sessions with Teller played and the clue quite literally came from her own mouth. Yup. Amelia spoke. She said that she could always speak, but previously, it was unnecessary, which has been my own theory about Jake for awhile now. Awesome.

Anyway, when she was six years old, Amelia had her appendix removed, yet in the autopsy report, the papers clearly stated that the body pulled from the river where she supposedly died very much had an appendix. So now all Martin had to do was get his findings to the right authorities and AsterCorp was going down, right?

Not so much. AsterCorp was like Big Brother with its omnipresence. Knocked out on his way to Jake, Martin woke up in the middle of the subway tracks and barely escaped from the light at the end of the tunnel. Oh, and all of the information about Amelia was gone. And it looked like Clea had switched allegiances when she didn’t speak up for him during the super secret custody hearing that Sinister Sheri called, effectively stripping him of custody.

“Gyre, Part 2” brought us back to Russell, the former firefighter who tried to rescue Jake’s mom on 9/11, won the lottery, and moved to Virginia to renovate an aging church. In Jake’s opening voiceover, he explained that “time forces us to adapt” and it looked like Russell was pretty content at the church, having taken an inquisitive kid named Collin under his wing. Still, something was missing. Russell didn’t feel like he had accomplished everything he needed to accomplish. With the aid of a fabulously geeky Collin, Russell tracked the numbers on the church’s blueprints, numbers that he recognized as those he played year after year before he finally won the lottery. “His” numbers. They led him to a bus station outside of New York City where Jake and Martin were engaged in a tense round of hide-and-seek with the suits from AsterCorp.

On the West Coast, Amelia’s mom plotted a new course in the search for her daughter. Apparently, Amelia communicated through weather maps the way Jake communicates through numbers. In "Gyre, Part 1," Wade helped Lucy plot a new course with the altered currents from the tsunami after he realized that the currents Lucy was working off of were outdated. Along the way, she picked up Zack, the son of a wealthy, but crooked, record executive. He was out to right the wrongs of his father’s business practices, and having tracked down one half of a brother act, Jamar, in Jamaica, he was combing the coast for the other half, Thomas. Thomas had left his brother to live as a woman years earlier, fearing that Jamar would reject him for his decision. Jamar, however, was thrilled to be reunited with his sibling thanks to Zack (and Lucy), and the first of the finale’s big warm and fuzzy moments came with the “Three Little Birds” collaboration. GROUP HUG TIME, YOU GUYS.

Okay. Enough group hugs. Get off of me.

Despite her apparent betrayal, Clea was very much still BFFs with the Bohms, and helped Jake escape AsterCorp custody before they could transfer him to a facility upstate and, it was implied, fake his death like they did with Amelia. Those bastards. Rob Benedict popped in with an Invisible Prince cameo (Remember him? I loved him.) and further guided Jake along, slipping him a Metrocard and distracting the police so he could slip past. It took half of the population of Manhattan to get Martin and Jake out of (immediate) harm’s way, I swear.

Martin followed the clues left behind by some obnoxious AT&T; product placement to reunite with Jake at Sarah’s grave. Avram the Awesome arranged for the duo to board a bus for Minneapolis—but at the bus station, Jake convinced Martin to change routes and go to Los Angeles instead. While running away from the AsterCorp drones, they quite literally ran into Randall’s new car, which he very enthusiastically bequeathed to them out of gratitude to Sarah. He claimed that it wasn’t registered, didn’t have plates, made for a perfect getaway vehicle and sure, that all made sense, except I’m not sure how he managed to drive it off the lot if it wasn’t registered. I mean, I’ve bought a few cars in my life and they all needed to be registered and insured before I took them ANYWHERE.

Whatever. Minor detail. The Bohms took the car, told Clea and Auntie Abigail they’d be in touch when it was safe(ish) and headed to L.A. where, on a sunny pier on a Pacific, they finally met Amelia’s mom...and Jake reached out to take Martin’s hand.

So where was all of this excitement three episodes ago, Touch? Maybe we could have avoided the Friday Night Slot o’ Death next season if you had pulled out the awesomeness a little earlier?

Then again, sometimes a series rises above the Friday firing squad and survives, even thrives. Fringe’s dedicated fanbase has kept it going longer than anyone thought it would. Supernatural managed to weather two seasons in TV purgatory before being restored to mid-week status. Grimm has held its own.

And Touch has put itself in a thrilling place for Season 2. Gone is the tedious custody-battle stuff—Jake and Martin are now fugitives from a mysterious, despicable organization with operatives lurking in every shadow. No one has to try to play nice anymore, all gloves are off. And finally, the finale has proven that Touch can maintain a tense Martin/Jake-centric storyline without sacrificing the integrity of the B-stories, the ones that we just know are immeasurably important even if we don't immediately understand how.

In short, I’m totally pumped for season 2. How about you? What do you hope to see more (or less) of when Touch returns?

I really like this show - just found it (reruns, I guess) - but, I agree, there are so few

good shows on TV anymore ... This is entertaining, "clean", no sex, no cuss words...

how unusual! I would like to see it stay on the air!!
wonderful, brilliant, the best for a quite a while. hope that doesnt mean they will can it, which is hat they seem to do with anything good.
Sheri was getting a bit too much to handle...so definitely a lot less of the custody

battle stuff. And more of Jake's abilities....they are fascinating, maybe a hookup

with Amelia and some awesome powers, to astound Lucy, and Jack as well as the

rest of us.
I watched all of Season 1 - PVR'd. I though the series had been cancelled until I read this review. Not sure if I'll be back in the fall. As much as I like Kiefer (Canadian, you know), 24 this show ain't.
I really like this show - and I love the way the stories all connect by the time the episode is over. Can't wait until next season!!
This show and revenge were the best 2 new shows of the 2011/2012 season ... Love how show is based on " it's a small world" theory how every action and person is intertwined with someone else... Keep up the great writing
...and Awake, and Person of Interest, and Scandal, and Unforgettable. Lots of great new shows. Too bad Unforgettable and Awake aren't coming back.
This was SO good. I'm glad a remained a faithful fan, in spite of some speedbumps this season. It was great how the writers integrated several of the "guest" characters from other episodes into this one so that they could "return the favor" for what Jake and Martin did for them earlier this season.

I can't wait for next season. Now that they are on the run, we will have less idea about what might happen each episode. It will be great to have them moving about the country (trying to find Amelia) while being discovered again and again. How many of the people that they help will return later to help them like in this season's finale. It could make for some very emotional moments, and that's what makes this show so good. It makes you FEEL.

I will miss that wavy bubble thing, though. :)
After a boring run of episodes where I was close to giving up on the show, they kept stringing out a decent episode here and there to keep me interested enough to watch the whole season. This was a pretty fun two part finale. There were enough twists and turns in the plot to make it fairly entertaining. I like the reappearance of some of the characters we saw earlier in the season... helps the whole idea of people/lives coming together that the show focuses on.

I still can't stand Martin's under-his-breath-kind-of-whisper talk that he does, how often he yells "Jake!", and how often he doesn't keep Jake in his eye's line of sight (just as Jake decides to walk/run away, of course). But the sometimes-fun plot and Touch's uh, touching, moments are enough to keep me around. I'll probably tune in next season, unless I completely lose interest during the few months it's off the air.
I laughed at what you said about Martin's 'whispering'. lol. I too also get annoyed when he yells Jake after Jake is yet allowed to run away again. I wish he'd put a leash on him or something. hahaha. But seriously, he's got to find a better way to keep track of Jake. Maybe a bell around a bracelet on his arm or beeper that goes off when Jake goes a feet away from him while they're out?
Nice article. For starters, I kinda found the series a bit boring initially because of its repetitive nature because however interesting the plot was; we knew how it was going to end. But then as they started adding new twists and turns and an additional plot of Teller and Amelia getting more significance, it just got better. The finale could have been better with some more action and suspense, but nevertheless I am looking forward to the next season. Hope its better than the first one.
I actually like how all those unrelated stories come together. Jake and his Dad seem to never quite focus with one another, but at the end of each episode, somehow all the other stories fit together.
It was a strong first season IMO, but I'm more curious to see if Tim Kring can keep my interest thru a 2nd season and beyond. He sure has things set up well for an exciting season 2. Also I really love the addition of Maria Bello.. She was great as Amelia's mom.
I like Touch but its sad to see that it is declining in all fronts, from ratings, to production, a story. Quite a lot of product placement were placed on the last episode and they were really noticeable. I'm guessing that the shows budget must have suffered because the show used to do at least 5 connections per episode but for the latest episodes, there has only been 2 connections. I'm only guessing one of the reasons the show's setting is moving to LA is because it would to expensive to film in NY. I honestly don't see the show lasting a third season but oh well, I'll enjoy it what left of it.
Great season finale, I loved the Invisible Prince (and the mathing exterior of the notebooks!) & finally meeting Amelia's mom. The best thing about this show is that it doesn't deal in near-misses, and is still able to find a tension angle.
normally i would agree: it took too long to see some action of the main characters. but this show revolves around universal story's. i don't really care that much for the martin/jake but more for the others. gives u some perspective, very usefull show!
More Titus Welliver, I really love that guy!
love the show. can not wait for season 2
I'm sort of new here, so I don't know the proper way to make a request like this, but I think tv.com should cover The legend of Korra. It's better than most the shows that are covered here, and it's the only watchable show on Saturdays.
Very nice episode. i agree with the review, it was quite exciting in a feel-good sort of way, even though I saw a mile away Martin and Amelia's mom would pair up. Martin needs a potential romantic lead, and she has a similar situation as Martin's, is age-compatible, etc.

Just one thing I'd like to observe, MaryAnn. Please be careful with the spoilers. When it was written on the tv.com front page Touch's finale "goes on the run" I knew Martin would abduct his son, obviously. Not all of the readers can watch the show when it airs, so it kind of spoiled the enjoyment for me.
I agree that the tv.com headlines often reveal too much. This one certainly did.
I love this show for the simple fact that it gives me hope that our species can survive if we work together. The small ripples we leave in life can have grand changes in the world, and its awesome to consider how even the smallest of good deeds or interactions can change someone else's life.
This show is wonderful and I'm hoping it overcomes poor ratings for the finale and the death slot. It's funny to see how many of the people below who find the show boring only watched one or two episodes. Pretty silly of them to think they are qualified to rate the show when they haven't even seen any of the awesome evil AsterCorp, Amelia or the majority of the custody battle stories. Part of the show's strength in early episodes was identifying with post 9/11 victims. The show has now audaciously gone one better to also identify with Tsunami victims. These are just the kind of themes that a truly cosmopolitan show should have. But the show's empathy is also targetted more generally as it brings joy to the many people who are connected by Jake; one of the most rewarding experiences in fiction is seeing someone with whom we identify being released from pain or burden and Touch generously gives us that experience in every episode. It's not a perfect show by any means: the 'maths' driving everything is usually suspect, even 'Fringe'ian. Some of the connections were less inspired than others; often episodes with strong subplots would have less tangled connections making them less interesting. And the custody saga was probably a little overwrought and repetitive. There were a couple of flat episodes in the middle of the season, but I found these to be only a slight drop in quality. As I said it's a wonderful show and I can't wait for season 2. And for the Awake fans, and I'm an Awake fan too, don't rat on Touch as therapy for the Awake cancellation. It's silly to think the shows are connected in any way or that only one of them ever had to be renewed. Even if you don't like Touch then you'll have no trouble thinking of other shows that were less worthy or renewal (how about *cough* Whitney for one), so park your negative energy somewhere else.
Why is it funny? It took half a season to develop these stories. I stopped watching after Teller's death. Until then every episode had the exact same formula. I'm sorry but after watching something more than 3-4 hours I AM surely in the right position to judge something if nothing really new developed until then.

And please everyone - group hug! I can totally see how you can become a fan of this show - but just don't judge other people instantly as cynical a-holes with no heart just because we stopped watching. (This is not directed towards your post but more to the majority of people provocing flamewars around this show)
I watched half of the season before giving up.

Really the problem with this show is that it took SO LONG to get going. It's like episode 2-10 were all filler, it seems like. If a show takes 10 episodes out of a 12 episode season to get going, it's a problem,

That's why this show is dead.
I watched the pilot and its first regular episode. Boring. :(
I think this is only on the aire because people are hopeful it'll become an episode of 24.
Too much of Martin yelling "Jake" all the time, way too many random coincidences required to make the story happen. Does Martin ever actually go to work? (He must have one helluva bank acoount stashed away). I'm outta here!!!

BTW does anyone besides me think that Clea looks alot like Kerry Washington (which is a good thing)!!!
The show isn't about random coincidences, it's about Jake guiding people together.
Agreed. Jake basically knows how the pattern will fit together. But I also noticed the job thing. Didn't they say Martin had two jobs to make ends in the pilot? I also noticed the Kerry Washington similarity, although Gugu Mbatha-Raw seems to be a younger version.
Meh. I'm done with this.
The shoe is painfulll boring !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I watch (with pain) two episode waiting to see if something new whould happen

but nothing is new random people connect and somehow the number mean somthing

and the father somehow have time to go and chase them (I mean he has such high paying

Job )

I can believe this show got a second season

and Awake didnt
if that proves anything it is that Kiefer Sutherland knows how to chose a good show pretty well
The kid is like Bradley Cooper in Limitless..he can see 10 steps ahead. I knew he'd get himself and his Dad outta there when need be. So yeah, love this show...kinda helps heal the Awake wound.
For me it open the Awake wound this kind of boring crap gets renewed

and Awake does not
This is a show that tv has to have along with some others. it cant be all Reality based drivel, legal stuff none of us can relate to, or assinine comedies!

Everything is related somehow, and shows with a definite good point have their place.

I like this show more and more, just from the fact that its connects the world, but I see they do have to throw the bad guys in there or else the majority would lose interest!
I love this show!
Watched the last ten minutes like 6 times - fantastic finale, can't wait for next year!
I went into the finale figuring yeah, they're going to take Jake away and he will disappear and Martin will have to find him and frustration and depression reign high but wo, did they surprise me! I came out of this smiling, happy, totally "touched" by this finale (final grab-ya came when Jake took Martin's finger(s) at when Amelia's mom said her name!) - I am totally stoked for Season 2! Go, Touch!!! (*applause*)
great finale....can't wait for season 2!!!
guess you never played soccer but it's juggling a soccer ball not dribbling.

Solid eps all around since there was nothing else on TV after the basketball game.
Ha, are you being sarcastic or have you really played football. Funny because in Europe it is dribbling

Glad you're onboard with this show, MaryAnn. Its the kind of show that cynical, heartless types prey upon. Not saying thats you..um... you know what I mean!

I thought the last two episodes were excellent and I'm looking forward to season 2. Just hope it survives the Friday death slot. If not, I might start suspecting that the mysterious corporation trying to take Jake are Fox themselves...
I agree touch slowed down in the middle however the last few episodes of Touch were the best with the finale totally awesome. Anyone who quit a few episodes before the last few should finish the rest of the season episode 10 and 11, you need 10 to understand 11. It amazing how quickly they developed the story and now the show really has a point to it compared to in the beginning how it was just random people beginning connected by the numbers.
Thanks for the tip. I started reading the comments here because I have only seen the pilot, and was wondering if I need to see something else before I watch these two.
Pilot = Awesome

Every episode after that = A slow, steady, repetitive death. I stopped after episode 5.

But I will watch season 2, and give that a shot.
I loved the finale. Can't wait for season 2.
Awake would've been a much more worthy renewal. I wanted to like Touch after the pilot but quickly saw it become a one trick pony, after 8 episodes I could stand it no more.
It doesn't have to be one or the other, they BOTH should have been renewed.