True Blood: 10 Storylines the Show Should Consider Revisiting in Season 6

Not that True Blood has ever followed its source material all that closely in the first place (the show essentially parts ways with Charlaine Harris's cozy-but-clumsy Southern Vampire Mysteries saga in like, Book 3) but in last year's Season 5 finale, the departing Alan Ball essentially put Harris's foundation—the Bill-Sookie-Eric love triangle—onto a rocket and shot it into the sun.  It's hard to imagine where someone who is not Ball can take the TV auteur's passion project now that he's gone, since he's so thoroughly cut ties with the source material and made so much of the series' heart revolve around the excellent and complicated original characters he added to the original story (Jessica, for instance, plus his re-imaginings of Lafayette and Hoyt come close to being Ball's alone, he's given them so much depth). This puts True Blood's writers in the un-enviable position of not just continuing the tone and quality of a milestone series with a giant fan base, but charting whole new storylines without the road map of the book series or the story compass embedded in Ball's brain.

The good news is, if the writers want to go back and follow up on some threads Ball dropped rather than pull original content out of thin air, there are hundreds of those to choose from, seemingly because Ball eventually lost interest in them. Here’s a list of ten dropped storylines from five insane seasons of True Blood that the show could feasibly revisit in Season 6:

1. WEREPANTHERS

While this plotline was a total rapey downer, it's nevertheless a fact that Jason was forced to impregnate a whole shanty town’s worth of homely lady werepanthers. Have those babies been born? In eighteen years, will Hotshot be choc-a-bloc with dreamboats? How do werepanthers and werewolves get along?

2. HADLEY'S LITTLE BOY

Very briefly in Season 3, Sookie met her cousin Hadley’s son Hunter, who also had psychic abilities like Sookie’s. What’s up with this little dude? How is he doing? Is he cowering backstage at the fairy Cirque de So Lame while his mom does table dances?

3. WARLOW

There's no question that this plotline, which the show tauntingly dangled in front of us last season, will be revisited; multiple set photos have leaked that suggest Macklyn Warlow, supposedly the biggest baddest vampire of them all, is played by Rutger Hauer. Intriguingly, the official HBO pack of promo photos for Season 6 have Hauer listed Niall Brigant, who is [semi-spoiler alert for the books] definitely NOT a vampire in the novels.

4. HOYT

Even if his mind is blank as the bottom of a McDonald's bag, I really hope we haven’t seen the last of Hoyt. Jim Barrack is phenomenal in the role and the character is one of the most sensitively painted on the show. Surely there’s a way to loop him back into Bon Temps’ craziness?

5. BILL'S GREAT-GREAT-GREAT-GREAT (ETC.) GRANDDAUGHTER

Remember that time Bill did the nasty with a direct descendant? Is she in counseling for that? Maybe she should be, considering her Great Great Granpappy/lover is now a Vampire blood-god.

6. V ADDICTION AS AN EPIDEMIC

Remember when this was a regular part of True Blood's plot? There were V dealers and V addicts and vampires were hunted by dealers?  I miss those days. Is Bill now, like, the most addictive substance on the planet? Also, is Lillith still squelching around leaving ghostly bloody footprints everywhere? Can there be two naked bloody god-people in this universe, or does the physical transformation signify a torch passed from person to person, a la Tim Allen in The Santa Clause?

7. THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE SUN'S REACTION TO STEVE NEWLIN

I would assume Steve Newlin becoming a vampire would really shake things up in the FOTS. I’d love to see him get back in touch with some of his old anti-vampire fundamentalist cronies and talk through some of his old, wack beliefs. Or see Steve Newlin do anything.

8. LAFAYETTE & JESUS

Lafayette was criminally underused Season 6, as was his murdered ex, Jesus; given that Jesus was a medium, surely the show could work in a few more cameos. And please, feel free to feature any of Lafayette’s past activities—the amazing website he used to run, his smattering of drug dealing, his day trips down to Mexico to settle shit with a brujo...

9. ALCIDE AND SOOKIE

Sookie got so, so close to maximum cuddles in Season 5, and then Eric pulled an epic mind-meld cockblock and now Alcide is just any werebitch’s to claim. That’s just not right. Surely there’s a way around Eric’s glamoring? Now that he's pack master and whatnot, he's even MORE of a catch. (Being pack master ups his net value by like, $345 and a fleet of rusted Ford trucks.)

10. BON TEMPS THE PLACE

What initially drew me, and I suspect many others, to this show was the day-to-day charm of a small, summery, southern town. The coziness of Sookie’s situation, working an easy job in a gossipy place. Not every “daytime” storyline needs to revolve around some wacky fairy giving birth on a pool table or a vet being haunted by a Middle Eastern curse. I am really hoping we get a glimpse of the coziness that so perfectly used to offset the vampiric hyper-sexualized violence, and I will take it in just about any form.

QUESTIONS:

... What storylines would YOU want to see revisited?

... What will a Ball-less season really mean?

… What storylines have failed to pay off in the past?

... Who the heck is Ruger Hauer playing, y'all?

YES to #8 please! Lafayette and Jesus were AWESOME!!! This series desperately needs more Lafayette because I'm just about ready to bail.
Werepanthers were the worst thing ever!!! I hated that storyline. They should never ever mention it again. Oh and the whole fairy thing was just to weird. If they would have been more bad-ass they would have fit the show better

I would love to see some Hoyt though. Always liked him.
i meant waitress
I think they should've kept it simple ,small town ,waiterss with special abilities and her small adventures in a crazy fantasy world with supes , but why all has to be apocaliptic?
I'm for BON TEMPS the small southern town , and perhaps Alcide and Sookie a little , but that southern goth feeling is gone. Trim the fat!!
Unfortunately Bill is Billith now (is that real? Ahh hurry up 9pm) but I am still waiting for the show to revisit Sam's streamy dream about Bill. Forget Sookie. Let's put some of these gorgeous men together.
The biggest problem with this show is its huge cast of characters, all trying to get top billing. They can't all be the stars of the show. The show got progressively unfocused every season until the hot mess of season 5 which I wish I could forget I ever saw.
I just want True Blood to return to its greatness in season 6 after the abysmal season 5 (what a let down).
Noooo! Not the werepanthers!!

-Lafayette. Jesus. Lafayette and Jesus.
-Eric and Pam. I always enjoyed their progeny bond. It was fascinating and I loved it and missed it. Also, Eric and Tara. There could be an interesting bond there too, the lineage thing. Carrying on his viking bloodline. I don't know. It could be something fun to explore.
-Eric and Sookie. I never tire of those two.
-Sookie and Alcide.
-Hoyt. I miss Hoyt. Hoyt last season especially was so interesting. I even loved the friendship thing he had going with Tara.
-The reaction of the Fellowship of the Sun folks. I agree. Where is that?!
"... Who the heck is Ruger Hauer playing, y'all?"

I assume he's Warlow so he's probably playing a decoy for the real one.
Sorry, but I'm done with Lafayette, the situation is just annoying.

I want to know more about Jessica and Jason, he hates her now.

But Bilith.... that's my story ;)
[SPOILERS for the books ahead!]
Having read the books, I do not think it is right to say there is a Bill-Sookie-Eric triangle at the centre of the books. From book 3 Bill is no longer a romantic prospect once he rapes and nearly drains Sookie in the trunk of the car and then Sookie finds out about Bill's mission to procure her (which included the charming dating technique of having her beaten up nearly to death to then give her his blood with all its consequences). Bill sticks around, continues to declare his undying love regularly (to no avail) and works on his (immensely boring) computer programme but he is in the sidelines. Yep, in the books Bill is a boring little shit - It is Sookie's complicated relationship with Eric that goes on from book 4 to 12 even if it is mostly dysfunctional and intermittent and interrupted by another love interest Quinn the werepanther (I think) but he's never made it into TB (yet?).

TB's Bill is a much more central character (more interesting too) and I read the new showrunner considers that the Bill-Sookie relationship is at the heart of TB even if romantically they are at odds by the end of S5... I mean would you want to hook up with Billith? Yikes....

I think Hoyt is gone for good and hopefully also the awful werepanthers... Jesus & Lafayette were one of my fav story lines but I think Jesus is gone for good (sadly)... The Hunter angle could be interesting but how do you fit a kid story line in the midst of all the nudity and gratuitous sex? Steve Newlin and his wife (exwife?) are going to be back and that should fit with the whole 'Humans taking back the night' theme in S6 where I think the vamps become the hunted... So the Fellowship will be right behind....
Alcide and Sookie????????? No,thank you i just had luch and I don't want to throw up.

I need to see Hoyt again, I really do. As much as I love Jason and Jessica, their relationship will never be as pure as Jess and Hoyt's was. There was something magic there. I loved it.

Steve Newlin? Yes, please! Bill and his great great great.... granddaughter, I always wondered what happened with that. Also, does Andy knows his related to Bill?

Hunter hasn't been seen in S5, but I believe that Sookie mentioned that he and Hadley were being protected in the fairies club.

Also, Sookie needs to get back together with Eric, asap.
Alcide and Sookie yes, Lafayette and Jesus, also yes. The other plotlines, honestly speaking, are dead for a reason and should stay dead (pun intended)
"… What storylines have failed to pay off in the past?"

Sheriff Dearborne's Hate group and Rene the serial killer. In general, I feel they could've done more with the human characters.
I enjoyed the first two series but it has gone downhill rapidly ever since, too many abstract beasties and pointless plot turns, metamorphoses and rule changes to suit the next episode.
I still watch it but in hope rather than expectation.
I think True Blood has run its course.
As a viewer of TB, I'd say those storylines should be kept in a locked drawer forever. It's unnecessary complication just like the Sookie & Bill. I know AP is the lead but she could die and I will not flinch one bit, characterization is stupid just like her name and fairy v according to Pam's monologue when she broke down.
Yes, the werepanther 'plotline was a total rapey downer', but then again, nothing on this this list was all that great to begin with. Maybe the storylines were dropped for a reason because I really wouldn't care for any of these to be brought up again.
Actually I would say drop all of the above. The biggest problem of the past seasons is that there were *too* many storylines. Not that there weren't enough.

What the heck was the point of the efereet stroyline?
Or Jesus? Lafayete just went somewhere, and left. Thats' it... Seriously...

And personally, I would really like to never ever ever ever mention the werepanthers again. That thing made me want to puke with the hypocracy of this show.
Jason was being tied up, drugged and raped constantly and he just shrugs it off like nothing happens? Yeah... If they had done that to a female character you'ld hear people screaming about that.

So here's stuff to avoid:
1)Drop Arlene and her entire family
2)Drop the werewolves. Yes, they are a bunch of hunks to look at but they serve nothing in the plot. Either fit them in properly with the main storyline or drop them.
3)Drop the fairy clan including the sherif's stupid quadruplet babies
4)Drop the idiots who keep changing Jason. Let's face it, he is no longer the lead fan service guy so he needs an actual role. Pick something and stick to it. Him becoming anti-vamp again is just plain stupid.
Jesus made sense. It's the fact that they dropped the storyline he had with Lafayette that doesn't make sense. He was helping him understand his powers as a medium and he was teaching him how to control and enhance them. Unfortunately, he trusted the wrong person because he was a trusting person, and that Marni b*tch robbed them of each other.

The body is still missing, and I have a feeling that Don Bartolo did something to preserve Jesus so he could be "resurrected" (hopefully) because he seemed to know that Jesus was going to be in trouble and that Lafayette would be the key to saving him, and that's why he did the snake bite thing, to prove to Lafayette what he's capable of.

Lafayette went to see Don Bartolo after Jesus died because Jesus' body was missing, and he figured Don Bartolo had something to do with it. Then some stuff happened and he went back home without Jesus' body. I think he didn't stick around to find the answers he was looking for because he was just happy to be getting out of there alive, but I think he still wants to know what happened. That's where things kind of got dropped, and I hope the pick that back up.

I'd love to see him able to bring Jesus back or even at least see him from time to time because he's a medium. Even without the medium/brujo stuff, Lafayette and Jesus were just a nice, normal, couple. I think that's what made them so refreshing on that show, lol.

I hope this answers your question about Jesus.
More +
No... That has nothing to do with what I said.
I was referring to season 5

We saw Jesus with the sealed off mouth. Lafayette went to his place, was taken by his uncle then his uncle was killed and he left there

That's all we got. In other words, just like the rest of the pointless lines of season 5, they did not come together, too much stuff going on and stuff just went no where.

At least in season 4, in one way or another, all of the stories revolved around the witches. So they wrapped up. Season 5 was a huge mess.

Thus they need to reduce their storylines.

Quantity does not equal quality.
Maybe it would be in everyone's best interest to go back to the source material, books were much better
ALCIDE AND SOOKIE
I am not saying the actor that plays Hoyd is not talented but wouldn't also characterize him as great. All I know is that if I hear them say HHHoyd one more time I will hit my head on the wall. Just too annoying. Kind of glad he's gone from the show.
lol, the only time I liked him when he was putting his mother in her place!
I know the show doesn't follow the books (for the last couple of seasons at least) but it wouldn't hurt if they followed some parts from the book. For example, Sookie's psychic ability is not supposed to be a common fay power but something that she is only able to do. Also last season they started hinting that she's loosing her powers cause she's half human. Having those powers was probably the only thing that made her interesting so loosing her would probably make her less likable. Lastly,I really hope the new guy behind season 6, doesn't screw things and more importantly doesn't remove or change the intro song cause True Blood wouldn't be True if it didn't begin with Jace Everret's Bad Things.
I definitely want to see The Fellowship again.I miss those crazy fundamentalist guys.
I wanna see Jason became supernatural somehow werepanther vampire telepathic anything will do.
God no, no more Jesus, please. No more medium plot lines at all. I'd even rather watch little panther girls rape jason for a whole season again than see one more stupid medium scene.
From what I've seen, Lafayette will be up to some medium shit. Usually if you want True Blood to stop doing something, they're going to keep doing it even more.
LAFAYETTE + JESUS
I generally hate it when people say this but I would be happier if they just cut their losses and cancelled it already. I really enjoyed season one, but it didn't take long for things to get out of hand and every season since has been more of a chore to watch than anything else.
This again yeah I generally hate It too so why dont you cut your loses and quit repeating yourself. Season one had to be the slowest season for me and since the 1st season if it has been such a chore why you still here?
True that. Hard to believe people passionately hate it yet have still tuned in for so long. People can just cancel the show themselves by not watching. I've had MAJOR issues with the show awhile now, but I don't hate it, because there are still some things I like about it. Unfortunately, the bad outweighs the good nowadays.
I hate watch True Blood. I honestly couldn't tell you one thing I like about it at the moment, but I keep watching because I'm a fan of supernatural/ fantasy television in general, and it's on during the summer so it makes for some good mindless viewing.
If there was absolutely nothing I liked about it, I wouldn't bother with it, even for mindless viewing. That's why I gave up on Heroes, because I hated EVERYTHING about it.
This comment has been removed.
I agree about Bon Temps. Its an interesting place with interesting ppl. They go out of their way to add new characters, new elements, and new storylines every season when I feel like the ppl of Bon Temps, its goings on, and the base characters are more than enough to go on. They should strip it down a bit, take a away a bit of the craziness, and get back to basics. The basis of the town and characters with added hints of supernatural, sex, and violence is why the show was so wonderful.
pam and tara all the way
I like them as maker and makee, but for couples, I'm still into Tara and Sam.
Pam minus Tara please.
Please no werepanthers.
"... What storylines would YOU want to see revisited?"

Andy's 4 half-fae daughters, Warlow and the Northmans's family hour (maker, progeny, grandprogeny dynamic).
Please no! Not unless those half-fae daughters decide to come to kill their useless daddy, in which case I might welcome them on the show.
They are babies, I doubt they are in the position to kill anybody at this point..
From what I've heard, the babies age a few years every day, so they might be able to kill quicker than you think.
That's for pure blooded fairies only, the half-ones like Sookie or Hunter age at the same rate as humans.
Alcide/Sookie all day.
Most of these don't interest me. We know they will deal with Sarah Newlin and Warlow this season, but most of the other stuff that has been sidelined kind of sucked. I liked Hoyt on the first two seasons, but he became worthless like a lot of the other characters after that. I will say, Jessica and Hoyt were great the moment they started, but the then the fighting in season 4 and her little fling with Jason just to give him something to do has been a fucking debacle. In other words, enough with Jason and Jessica, and I don't want to see Hoyt again. Like Mate said, the werepanthers were the worst fucking thing ever, even worse than the ifrit and demon baby plots. I never ever want to see those things again. Like most things, it was just wasted time. I would honestly prefer Maryann to come back than a lot of this shit.
No werepanthers, ever. That was probably the dumbest thing that they did. Also, I thought that it was all for not, because biting, scratching and whatever else they did to Jason couldn't make him a werepanther and the only way to create little baby werepanthers was genetic. And Hoss, or Jethro or whatever the dumb husband/brother's name was was shooting blanks. Either way it was arguably the worst of True Blood.
I agree - they made the werepanthers into such terrible characters ... violent, incestuous, dumb/crazed, cruel, manipulative... really there was no redeeming factor to them... it was hard to watch - the gangrape on Jason was truly disgraceful TV and went on and on and on.
First of all, the thing I'd like to see most is your number 10. Because this was the charm of True Blood, that southern feel that just took you in it's grasp and made you wanna talk like the inhabitants (and I'm hearing this southern accent in my head now) ...at least for me. :) But anywho, just bring back that whole atmosphere that made it different from any other show.

Other than that, anything with Steve Newlin and his fabulousness would be entertaining.