True Blood: Born Again

True Blood S05E10: "Gone, Gone, Gone"

Last night's True Blood was insanely good. It made me laugh, it made me cry, and both reactions are supposedly the twin pinnacles of entertainment. But it went beyond that and hit me to the extent that I was lying in another room away from the TV, reeling, for 45 minutes after the fact. Typing that out, I feel a little ashamed, but isn't that what good television should be? Maybe my brain chemistry is firing a little too close to the surface, but I don't think so, because I was still rolling my eyes at shit like The Hangover 2 airing immediately beforehand on HBO. I'm not complaining: This weird punch to the gut feels almost good, because until I felt it, I assumed that gut was numb and dead and gone. Nope! Turns out I still have feelings. Thanks, True Blood!

Anyway: What am I talking about? Oh yeah, I knew from the cold open this was going to be a fantastic episode (read that in your head with a fangirl nerd lisp) because it erred on the side of excessively funny. The old open on TB fake news (my favorite thing in the world) segued into a depressing tableau of Sookie getting all cat-lady-spinster-comfers-cozy in her jammies. Then a coroner tried to give Sookie a toothy case of cunnie-lingie, and she staked him with um, Chinese food chopsticks? True Blood never finds its footing as solidly as when it lets its comedic instincts take charge, and this opening was a perfect example of that.

From that jaw-dropping cold open we traveled to Andre the Seal Girl, shirtless, and I will say this: Girl looked good with her shirt off. I mean, if you put that on my headstone I'd be happy, so it's meant as the highest of compliments. I imagine the studio gym where True Blood actors work out with their personal trainers as being the most competitive of atmospheres and girl could have held her own with that concave tummy.

What put the first of several lumps in my throat in a series that's increasingly about FAIRIES AND MAGIC was that one Authority Figure saying calmly, "We could convert you, but we don't think you're worth the effort." Like, denying someone even a martyr's grim consolation of being incorruptible—that's extremely dark. And hey, let's keep in mind there are three women in Russia facing three years of prison right now for essentially dancing in a church, so if you think fanaticism isn't a hot topic and rational thought isn't a fragile flower, Google "Pussy Riot" and get back to me. But let's get past the first fifteen minutes of this episode and remember this show is about VAMPIRES AND WEREWOLVES before debating world politics.

Bill got Eric and Nora high and then crept into the other room to watch them on a security cam. Eric and Nora watched their dad (the ever-luscious Godrick) get his throat ripped up by Lillith, which to Bill looked like two high people shouting at the ceiling. You'd think this would rouse him to consider these visions of Lillith as nothing more than vampire-peyote phantasms, but Bill certainly wasn't monologuing his inner thoughts on his lonesomeness, and the experience was enough to convince Eric to start parroting the party line. Meanwhile, the Authority had quietly blown up every single True Blood factory. Like, I am so glad it immediately played that extreme. It made Bon Temps and every scene after sing with tension.

The foxy unknown playing Lillith has got the hardest job on the True Blood set. No lines, just frowns, stomping around covered in a sticky coating of Hershey syrup and food coloring all day, not eating carbs and sporting a full head of pubes. It's every woman's nightmare! I seriously hope Alan Ball is writing a major part for this actress in his next series to reward her for being such a good sport and only getting to act via sticky frowny faces.

Bon Temps, you get the feeling, is steeped in a paraonoid atmosphere in which people would rather order food than leave their houses at night: and wise choice, citizens. In this tense mire, Jessica stepped into Merlotte's and almost got killed by some inbred extras, except Sam and Lafayette intervened. It was a touching show of solidarity, like "I'm not a vampire but I support their right to exist and if you want to gang up on them I will regulate your ill ideologies."

Can we talk for a moment about how this show can directly address hot-button issues because it can always claim the guise of a "fantasy" element to sidestep being "on the nose"? No? We all get that? It's patently obvious? Okay cool. Tangentially, F*CK Chick-Fil-A. Anyway:

There followed an exchange dissolving the love triangle between Jason, Hoyt, and Jessica that pretty much slaughtered me. The writing was brilliant and the acting, if it had occurred in a movie, would have warranted an Oscar nod for Deborah Ann Woll. One of the great developments of our age is the ability we are given to enter relationships for years with multiple people throughout our lives and especially our young adulthood. I know, I sound like a preachy slut right now, but seriously, this is a uniquely modern cultural experience only possible in say, the last thirty years and I believe it adds exponentially to the progress and development of human society, in that becoming intimately close with a person is akin to moving to a completely foreign city and learning a new language for a few years. Even when you move again, you remember words of the foreign language and the perspective it embodies and you carry a deepened understanding of the world outside your own slavishly selfish interests. A serious relationship, even after it's over, gives you empathy and depth, and it gives life meaning, even if the relationship ends in heartache. Every human relationship has worth, unless of course you're out there hate-f#cking rando people you meet on Craigslist, in which case you know you're filling some hole that can't be filled and seriously cut it out and feel better because you're too cool for that if you like True Blood.

Hoyt erasing the memory of his relationship with Jessica to rid himself of the pain of their separation was so relatable and yet obviously tragic. And erasing his friendship with Jason—I don't even know if that could logistically work without costing Hoyt the bulk of his primary education, but still: devastating. The whole storyline was one of the most profound and effective uses of "vampire powers" in any vampire franchise I have ever seen.

Jason would revisit this devastating loss later, pulling Hoyt over as Hoyt made his way out of town and awkwardly trying to reconnect with a friend who no longer remembered him. The sense of loss was so complete, and connected as abruptly and unexpectedly as a sucker punch.

Also: Who knew Sam and Luna being in mortal danger would make them so much more compelling? Sam sleuthing out Steve Newlin puppy-napping Emma was endearing, and it was both hilarious and horrible when Steve Newlin started yelling at Emma for assuming her human form. I've never been invested in Luna or Emma before, now I cannot wait to see how this storyline turns out. Brilliant.

Another emotional high note was Pam's reveal to Tara that Fangtasia meant nothing to her, that she and Tara would "live in the wind" the way she and Eric had, it seriously choked me up. It was a huge reveal of how much Pam cares about Tara, and Tara slaying the new Sheriff (with the help of the delightfully excitable Ginger) was a reciprocation of that. The way their storyline is going continues to be my absolute favorite part of this series.

My one complaint about this episode, and it's pretty minor, is that the SECOND Sookie and Jason saw these ridiculous doodles they should have thought to themselves, "Corny bullshit? This must be fairy language!" NBD, just saying, if something looks incredibly stupid, it's probably related to those G-D fairies.

Turns out, according to this seriously stupid-looking parchment, Sookie is the property of Warlo, but like most ownerships of humans first contracted in the 1700s, the legality of this document should not be taken seriously. Plus, if Warlo feels strongly about owning a Stackhouse, where has he been lo these last 29 years? I like a shadowy villain waiting in the wings, but I like Russell taking center stage even more:

Every time Denis O'Hare launches into his Ambiguous European Accent my heart skips a beat. I love that he is now essentially waging war on fairies and every vampire who isn't him. I love his wooing of Newlin, I love "Teenage Dream" ("you and me/will be young forever") drifting through the air as they dance amongst slaughtered bystanders. Granted O'Hare looks upsettingly ethereal this season, like he would faint if you played a loud bass around him, but that only makes Russell Edgington seem somehow more sinisterly powerful. The conflagration of fairies and shifters in the next episode could be—and here's something I never thought I'd say—pretty exciting.

Guerrilla shifters vs. vampire terrorists vs. corny-ass fairies. PLUS: true love, in the sense of Tara and Pam clicking like their psyches had called out to each other all along. And Jessica living out everyone's personal horror show when you realize your parents went off on some ideological tangent as soon as you left for college. AMIRITE?!?! You go to school for one quarter, you come back, and your parents have incredibly impassioned ideas they have never articulated before. And you're like, "Wait a minute... maybe you should still be running a carpool, because you're putting a lot of energy into some pretty weird directions." Kids of "Born-agains"/compulsive recyclers/alien conspiracy theorists chime in on the comments, PLEASE.

Anyway, I still hate being underground with the Authority, but I think Jessica being brought in (a decision punctuated by Jessica furiously stepping into her flip-flops) will help bring things to a head, and Eric and Bill will not stand for Russell waging war on Sookie. And the sooner the writers re-ignite Sooke-Eric-Bill, the happier I will be.

This episode was an excellent investigation of what beloved characters can do if writers care to use them. Parts of the episode were almost painful, but it was because it stretched how I felt about characters to an extreme that it reminded me of the depths of my own emotion. How did this week's True Blood strike you?

QUESTIONS:

– Tara killing the new Sheriff: Will Pam be angry or grateful?

– What animal will Luna and Sam morph into to escape detection at the Authority?

– If Sookie belongs to Warlo, why hasn't he snatched her up sooner?

– .If you could erase the memory of an ex-boyfriend/girlfriend, would you?

– Does Eric actually buy this Lillith hogwash or what?

Have to say, I've never even come close to even a sniffle watching this show, because its campy and cheesy, and all those things we love about it. But tonight I actually cried during both of the Hoyt scenes. Big ups to Deborah Ann Woll and Ryan Kwanten for bringing it home. Also continue to love every scene of Pam and Tara, nothing quite like watching Tara wield a damn BROADSWORD to make a point.
There is no doubt, Eric is pretending. Even more, I think Nora is pretending as well.
I think Eric is pretending as well (not so sure about Nora though). His "conversion" is the only thing preventing Russell from killing him at this point.

Now, if Molly was pretending to be baby vampire only to be revealed as "she who overcomes death" herself (a.k.a. Lilith) I would totally appreciate it.
It seems extremely unlikely that Nora is pretending at this point.
I agree with mfmschaser, eric and nora are up to something. I am curious to what they are sending out. they shared a look when they talked about sending the new copies of the Vbible. I think there is something else in place. she seemed really upset about godric.

sidebar, please dont let this be the last of godric.

lily, I totally agree with you, sam and luna are ten times more interesting now.

russell and steve are my new favorite couple. i cant wait to see how their love blossums!
Staff
It is definitely an interesting turn to give the villain we're all assuming will be destroyed this episode a compelling love arc. And Sam and Luna,who knew they could be interesting! The writers deserve several doffs of the cap.
- Well, its a Starks's long tradition to behead deserters in the name of their King. I don't see why the Northmans shouldn't impose a little tradition of their own when the traitors are their Kings/Sheriffs.

- I vote Luna and Sam to shift into a Dinosaur!

- I reckon Claudine tossed Warlow into whatever plane the fairies have been jumping from/to when she found him in the stackhouse's car. Like Terminator, he'll be back.

- Trust me, if I would get a Hoyt then I would never cheat on him to begin with.

- Nope. Eric must be playing dumb for the time being.
Staff
Now, there used to be some shifter rule way back about how they couldn't shift into an animal unless it was present in the room or something but that's been broken so many times. Your point about dinosaurs is right on: why CAN'T they shift into velossa raptors? special fx budget is the only restraining logic, I suppose!
Congratulations TB, you managed to have The. Worst. three vamp deaths ever featured in one episode. #1 - Molly/Mac who was awesome. #2 - new sheriff of area five. because it was performed by Tara, who ruins everything. #3 - Godric, again. *sniffle*

One episode left of this season and the completionist in me will be satisfied. Then I can walk away and be free. These recaps, however, are un-quitable and awesome. Luv ya Lilly!
Staff
never fear, I think Godric was just a peyote phantasm anyway. I'm sure once the Lillith cult has been put to rest he'll make a re-appearance. Its clear they love having him on set and I doubt they'd ever write him off for good.
Hope you're right about Godric!!
1. I totally agree. Of all the characters introduced this season, she was the only interesting one. I'm a little upset that she's gone.

2. I totally disagree. Tara is great. I could sympathize with the Tara haters a little bit during seasons 3 and 4, when the writers had her do stupid things, but she's back to being an interesting character now.

3. Godric was great in season 2, but I haven't liked him at all in these vision scenes.
Usually, a character becomes less cool when they are a Jedi apparition. Usually, a character becomes more cool when they hang out with Pam.
You forgot to mention Mike Spencer being staked by chopsticks, or was that one of your favorite vamp deaths?
I'm indifferent to Mike. He doesn't rate, favorite/worst/just don't care.
I did like this episode. I was gonna complain that we only got 45 seconds of Pam / Tara, but they made for that like a beast. I really thought they'd torment us with that Sheriff AFI for weeks until Eric came back and killed him, but this was so much better. It felt...like a generous freebie.

Originally, it hadn't been that Tara was getting good; she was just staying the same as everyone fell down around her, but she's really been picking up. I thought the Team Tara shirt would burn, but it's really quite balmy. And good ol' Ginger, the screamin' Fangtasia waitress. I was still smiling when the credits came up. I don't think that's happened since season three.

Hoyt actually left without dying. I wouldn't have bet on that at all. No Hoyt and no Hoyt's momma? Awesome, but the mom's fun sometimes in Merlotte's. I won't miss him, but that was a great way to let him go.

Bill's still a pile of crap, but he represents a demographic I do not. Maybe it doesn't matter to them that he sucks as long as he does one decent thing a year, I dunno.

And Sookie and Jason put their heads together...and Jason ends up being the clever one. That's...so sad.

Lafayette's fabulous again. It's almost like they're reading my posts and saying, "You are correct, Acrobit; we shall now do as you ask and cut that stupid shit out." I can pretend. Seriously, it only makes me angry that they're still capable of being good show...they just didn't wanna.

Russell's just badass and he stopped pretending he wasn't...and dropped that silly century-old accent. I wish he'd killed Salome, but w/e. I just have to prepare myself for when he actually dies this time, and hope something else is great enough to keep me going.

Godric's dead...again. I still hate that guy, and watching him actually get killed this time was worth seeing him come back a few weeks ago. Can't get any better unless they kill him a third time.

I wasn't happy with the poor coroner getting killed, and much less happy with Mac from Veronica Mars getting staked. Could've done without either of those happening, but I knew she wouldn't last the year.

This episode represented the season I was hoping for. It's way-hay-hay too late for that now, but since I haven't left, I might as well hope for them to do it again.
Your pretendings sound great! If only you/fellow commenters could influence and/or fix all shows that we watch. Sigh, a girl can dream, right?
Yeah, go for it. It's worked pretty well for me. I mean, Sookie's still alive, but our kung fu's only so strong.
I have a question about Daywalking & the synthesis of Fairy Blood and it revolves around the bleeds. My understanding of "The Bleeds" was less to do with the effect of the sun on vampires & more to do with their need to rest.

Case in point during season 2 when Bill was being held hostage by Lorena in the light tight room in the hotel they both had the bleeds.

So how will obtaining full powered fairy blood help the vampires on an ongoing basis during the day - wont they wiil still be depleted if they are awake for too long by the bleeds?

I Love how, when Russell lost it, a little bit of an old accent showed up.
Staff
YES. I bet anything its Ed O'Hare's acting choice, he's so effing brililant.
Awesome, Emotional Episode full of character and plot development!
I thought the episode had some good moments, but overall it was the usual boring mess. That being said, do you really consider this a good episode? I mean really...

- The Hoyt scene was great and heartbreaking. I was glad to see a character that hasn't had the best of years get a nice send off (hope he doesn't end up dead in a ditch next episode considering all the vamp-on-human action going on).

- Love the Pam, Tara combination. At last Tara has the kind of role she deserves. Making Tara a vampire was one of the best decisions the writers have made for the character. I love that Lafayette is back to his old self and I'm hoping Tara will forgive him so we can see some great scenes between the two again
Staff
Pam and Tara are the best. They're convincing me ot stay on board for next season even after Ball has left because how can you deny their dynamic or their hairstyles?! I live for a good crimp.
I'm actually curious to see what the show will be like once Alan Ball is gone. I'll watch the first couple of episodes to see if there is anything different.
I think its safe to say we're all curious. I really hope the new showruner will save the show.... One can only hope
It would be hard to do a worse job than Ball (seasons 3-5). So I think the next season should be better. But you never know.
Getting Russell (the best of the villains to date) out of the basement is a great thing. This entire season should have been the upcoming fight between the various factions rather than a ridiculously long build up with plot threads running all over the place. IMO if they would just off the fairies, Sookie and all the ridiculous personal plot lines they would have one of the better shows on TV rather than a show that often looks like something from "The CW".
*Begin Rant*

"F*CK Chick-Fil-A."

Really, your that retarded? You just say hey isn't it great that two people on the show stand up for others peoples rights to exist, and then you completely shit on that with your next sentence?

Thats Hypocrisy dumb-ass and you are a hypocrite.

Yes gay people have a right to exist, but other also have a right to state their opinions under the first amendment "I believe it's something like freedom of speech or something"

People like you make liberals look ignorant, moronic, and bigoted, and a tv review is not the place to shove your idiotic twisted beliefs on someone else.

*End Rant*

As far as the episode it was meh, alot happened, it just wasn't that interesting, and it's obvious that Bill has something up his sleeve, so yeah.
Staff
Idiotic twisted beliefs being...I support boycotting Chick Fil A? since when does a boycott go against first amendment rights? The CEO of CHick Fil A or any other company can say whatever they want without being dragged off to jail or fined or fired, but if they offend and outrage me it's going to impact whether or not I support their business. if the CEO of Chick Fil A said hey, I'm into child porn, would there be as many people lined up for "Chick-fil-A" appreciation day in support of his freedom of speech? No? And why is that? (Answer, since I'm sure you'll need a hint: because this debate isn't about freedom of speech at all, it's about whether or not we will allow bigotry to be considered "normal")

Weirdly ignored here is my whole point that True Blood can address issues- especially of the contemporary forms of prejudice- more directly than other episodes because "vampires"/supes become a stand-in for any marginalized groups in our own society and provide basically wish-fulfillment scenarios of bigots getting creamed/called out as idiots. It's hard to imagine that if you're a regular viewer this concept has eluded you for several years. If you're not a devoted viewer, stop googling "Chick Fil A"
More +
I always love the "you're not tolerant because you don't tolerate bigots" argument. Stick it with that. It's totally working for you.
This is the problem with antagonistic statements like that in reviews. They derail the discussion and ruin the enjoyment of simply discussing a show you follow. By the way I would ask you google what the ceo of chick-fil-a actually said. There was nothing bigoted about it imo.

On another note what is up with the super strong vampires basically being balloons of blood you can pop with a toothpick? That chop-stick kill seemed a little much to me.
Leave Lily alone!!!!!!!!!
finally we have the old Russell back. I think that Eric has not really been converted and is actually even more resolved to stop this war. At least that is what I hope rather than him being swayed. From Noras face when Godric was killed she may be on his side now also.
Didn't anyone notice Maurella is pregnant? Is that Andy Bellfleur's baby?????
That is soooooo Andy's baby, his girlfriend is going to be furious!
yep. it looks like andy is going to be a faerie baby-daddy.
Like I said weeks before, this season is good ...

Almost everything I wished for since season 1 now finally happens. Tara is awesome and Russell is just the best. And while I always suspected Bill to be a turncloak and having some sort of plan I'm not so sure anymore ... he seems to be REALLY into Lilith, or why else to let his child be dragged to him? To protect her?

BTW: Did anyone notice Jason casually pulling up the skirt of that Teddybear ? LOL
What was the point of that first scene it seemed really unnecessary, I dont even remember this Mike guy.
You don't remember him from Maryann's orgies?! He was the town coroner and the director of the funeral home...AND probably most importantly, he presided over the burial of Sookie's parents...
LOL that opening scene was funny as hell. In fact, a lot of this episode was composed of hilarious moments.

On the mike Spencer bit (he went so quickly didn't he?) I'm starts ng to think maybe this warlord vampire was behind it. Maybe he used Spencer as a sort of scout? Should be interesting to meet him. Trying to remember if he was in the books?
umm... it's too much effort trying to tie these storylines to the books, the show went off on its own tangent in the second season...
Then that's your fault...
Did any of you notice the exchange between Eric and Russell after Eric had been high with his sister? It seemed to me that Russell is fully aware that Eric is only playing the game to stay alive and their exchange seemed to be some kind of code for future backup.
Last night's episode brought a sense of reality to a de-sensitized viewer/s who on every given Sunday night accepted and expected death, destruction and broken lives as everyday norm in the world of True Blood.

The Jason, Hoyt & Jessica storyline reminded us that consequences do exist and a price will be paid. But what made it so unique is how the creators/director/writers portrayed the entire scenario at such a personal level that anyone who has suffered a loss or broken heart would recognize it.

The death of Mike, Molly, an entire Fraternity and Godric was nothing compared to the death of the love & friendship between Hoyt, Jason and Jessica. Like the writer wrote, it was completely tragic and devastating.
Russell wants to breed faeries and Sookie is a "fae-bearing female heir". This is going to be a major future plot line, all Sookies children will be part fae.
For all we know Sookie might not ever have kids, I doubt Russell will get Sookie to have kids
Huge fan but this season is kinda Too Slow for my taste. Fav :

a) The Puppy wolf ! ...man... too cute

b) Pam

c) The Puppy wolf

d) Pam

...get the picture TB?
My parents totally did that! Just in a different way than the examples you gave. When my step sister and I (we are roughly the same age) went to college 2 years ago, my dad all of a sudden sold all of our family's toys (camper, snowmobiles, pontoon boat, etc etc) and bought a condo and 40 foot Sea Ray on the west side of the state! Then before I knew it they were traveling to far away places (of course without me or my step sister), and just becoming kinda "enlightened" about the world in a way. Kinda bizarre because they have never been people to worry about the world around them, besides their own personal bubble. And of course my little sister in high school sometimes gets dragged around on their excursions and only wants to stay home with her friends. They said they owe my step sister and I a vacation eventually, so maybe I can reap some of the benefits! :P

Anyway, great episode, really brought True Blood back to its roots and the way it used to be in previous seasons. Can't wait for the final two episodes!
I think salome is lilith in essance.
To correctly answer question 4 ------ Only if the ex morphs into some creepy stalkeresque type with homicidal tendencies.
Enjoying Russell back on top of his game. Pam/Tara is really showing Vampire roots. Not so sure this Sookie/Jason story this season has any teeth. Glad almost all the other side shows are cleared up for the Bill and Eric show.
Tara killing the new Sheriff: Will Pam be angry or grateful? she's grateful.

What animal will Luna and Sam morph into to escape detection at the Authority? i want em to get caught. complication sounds good to me. plus the more the merrier when talking about the underground bunker.

If Sookie belongs to Warlo, why hasn't he snatched her up sooner? because the writers just came up with it recently, duh. (that duh was said as lovingly as possible.)

.If you could erase the memory of an ex-boyfriend/girlfriend, would you? hahaha my conquests are near non-existent. now i'll cry.

Does Eric actually buy this Lillith hogwash or what? does a bear shit in an outhouse?

i miss molly. totally love majorino and she never gets permanent roles. can we get some more salome nakedness before they kill her off too pleasE? better yet keep her around just because she's amazing looking and her voice.

and i can't be the only one who's been routing for some "barb" (Rosalyn) sexy sexy since she showed up can i?
What about the pregnant fairy that translated the scroll; Isn't that the one that Sheriff Belfour slept with? So it's Andy's kid right?
Yes, Andy's kid, I think...and remember, the Bellefleur's are related to the Compton's...and did anyone else notice that the walls of the reception area at the Authority are covered in huge stone carvings of the Scroll from under the bed?!
Exactly what we need, a dim-witted fairy baby.
that's sheriff dim-witted fairy baby!
1) Pam was angry for like a second and then she was totally proud.

2) They have already morphed into flies and mice so I guess they could morph into lice or fleas and attack vampires, suck THEIR blood, see the irony?

3) He did try before, he was looking for her when he ran into her parents on the bridge and killed them, and was stopped by one of the fairies. (P.S.: I think the vampire's name is WARLOW, not Warlo).

4) I would erase MY memory so that I wouldn't remember my ex. I wish!

5) I think he's just playing along to bide his time before he pulls a classic Northman move and goes on a murdering spree.

I think the Bill-Sookie-Eric triangle will be re-ignited in the finale. Bill and Eric were already quite worried about Sookie after Russell declared he was after fairies' blood.
First good episode in WEEKS! There were still things about the episode that made me roll my eyes just a tad. For example, the scene where Jessica was saying goodbye to Bubba seemed silly. I mean it SHOULD have been a superb scene..but it fell short in my opinion. Still, overall this was the best episode of True Blood since the beginning of the season.

I KNEW Russell was acting this entire time! You could see hints of it here and there where he was holding himself back and now he finally left the group. Is he really stronger than all of those other vampires put together!? That seems far fetched. I mean, I can see Bill and Eric, but ALL of them?
Well Lily I have to say that I think the writers have been reading your reviews cause they are certainly "trimming the fat." Hoyt's exit was beautifully done, now if they would just get rid of Bill. Too bad about the girl at the beginning though.

And who would have thought that viewers would EVER have anything nice to say about TARA!!!! Look at how her "death" turned things around.

I have to say since season 1, this has been a strange but enjoyable season so far.
I LUV TB! I am addicted to Russell and his inevitable evil gluttonous all about me! me! me ! diva moments, (you'd think that after 3,000 yrs he'd have outgrown some of that zest for life)... I was wondering how much longer Bill could wax dumb on Sookie's actual charms around the Authority. I don't believe for a second Eric drank the kool aid with his loyalty to Godess Lilith or her pathetic zealots, he's just buying his time. Eric is way too smart, proud , pragmatic and dare I say ferociously loving/sentimental. He IS a viking of royal lineage. I'm luving the Tara and Pam dynamic and all its potential touching open up a can a whoop ass moments in store ... Yes, Hoyt's decision was a lil' too drastic in my opinion. Both Jessica's and Jason's reactions were heart wrenching. But, I'm so happy to bid, 'good riddance' to Hoyt, he was sooo boring. I just hope he doesn't go having a mishap on his way to Alaska and get recruited into the "new world order" agenda, and turned into a (cringe) Vamper. Okay, a couple things I want to put out there: 1) I thought for sure that after Bill sucked on Salome/Sookie in bed and started tripping out with visions of Lilith, last episode ,that it might turn out to be a bewitching heady mix of Salome's blood in the sacred vial, not Lilith's blood. She IS the infamous Salome after all...

2) Did anyone notice the preggers 500 yr old fairy that deciphered the contract for Sookie, was named Mirella, as in 'one night of bliss under the stars with Sheriff Bellefleur, "Mirella"'...oops. any takers??
I don't usually expect perfect character development (especially from True Blood, where it's sort of a hit-and-miss exercise), and I can easily let minor flaws slide. But honestly... how am I supposed to buy into whatever it is that Bill has become to represent? After so many seasons of evolving in a somewhat opposite direction, all it took was literally a moment of seeing something while being high? Either I missed the build-up towards whatever would turn him into such an avid believer, or... there simply wasn't any, and it's one of those turn-arounds created simply for a cheap "shock" value. Bleh, horrible doesn't even begin to describe it. And sure enough, they could still write their way out of it. Which, I'm afraid, will make it even more stupid.

I liked Hoyt... in earlier seasons. I thought that I would miss him, regardless. And that he might get a memorable goodbye. But he went out like a wussy. "Oh noes, I'm hurt, please take it all awaaaay". Disappointing. I could even understand the need to forget Jessica, but choosing to forget everything about Jason (who had been a presence for almost his entire life) should seriously mess up his head. Is glamoring even supposed to be that powerful?

If anything good came out of this whole scene, it were the surprisingly emotional moments deftly conveyed by Deborah Ann Woll and Ryan Kwanten.

For a change, Russell's agenda is actually very plausible. This is the kind of a goal that I expected him to pursue. What was less plausible, however, was the bit about being able to take out all other (6?) vampires in the room all by himself. I get that he is supposedly an ancient, but... It's not the first time that the show plays fast and loose when it comes to determining a vampire's strength. It just seems that whatever is the most convenient at a time is chosen, rather than there being any rules to go by. Same thing happens with werewolves, anyway.

Other than that, it comes to me as a surprise that I've grown to like Andy. Tara's actions made for a nice surprise, and Shifters may find themselves in a curious position. I never care much for Sookie - she didn't get high this time on my annoyance scale, which I suppose is a positive.

And yeah, I get that True Blood is campy, ridiculous, and all that. I never have huge expectations. But even then I would like to see some logic now and then, when it comes to certain developments. When it's sorely missing, it all becomes even more of a joke than usual. And then it's even harder to care at least that little bit.
The same thing can be said for the authority I dont buy it at all.
I feel like we've been building to evil Bill since season one. Maybe it's because I watched the first three seasons back to back instead of one episode at a time (I started watching just after season 3 aired).

Bill's shadiness has been telegraphed since the very beginning. He was always doing questionable things and then covering it up with pretty emo speeches. I knew there was something off about him when he glamoured the cop who pulled them over in season one. He seemed to get off on having that power--it was creepy. Every subsequent time he did something shady--killing her uncle, lying about turning Jess, raping Lorena, procuring the stripper for Russell, trying to kill Eric and Pam--just confirmed that he wasn't the boy scout he pretended to be. Once he was unmasked at the end of season 3, I knew why he always struck me as cold and shifty. I buy that he came to care for Sookie. I don't think he was ever a good guy.

So this didn't come out of the blue for me. It seemed a natural extension of his personality. He likes to have power over others, and he has some serious violence bottled up. He fights it, because he wants to think of himself as a good man. Lilith changed that because she basically says it's OK to be cruel and bloodthirsty, that's what god wants. Lilith has given him permission to be violent and power-hungry.

I actually liked the explanation Sookie gave for why Hoyt wanted to be glamoured. She said he wanted to forgive them, but couldn't. He was too torn between love and anger. Sometimes even when you want to do the right thing, your emotions won't cooperate. You're in an argument, and you want to be reasonable and take the high road and instead you get angry and find yourself saying things you never meant. Hoyt is having that reaction every single time he sees or even thinks about Jessica or Jason. I don't really blame him for choosing to wipe it all away, though I wonder how long the glamour will hold up. If it's just long enough for him to emotionally recover it might be enough. We have to remember that due to the compressed timeline of the show, it's only been a few weeks since Hoyt found out about Jessica and Jason.

I concur that Russell's sun-walking goal made a lot of sense. The sun sensitivity is the vampires' Achilles heel. They can't do anything half the time. Eliminate that and vampires could dominate the human population. Russell has wanted power during the day for centuries. That's why he gave his blood to the weres, using them to act while the sun was up.

But that's an imperfect solution. Far better if the vampires themselves can endure the sunlight. So the fact that it's Russell grasping how game-changing fae blood can be makes complete sense.
More +
Maybe Bill's deep under cover and has to go with the flow to stay on mission.
I thought this episode was awesome. I don't think that Eric is convinced at all, he's somehow the become the good guy, and I don't think he's giving up that mantle just yet. I'm not sure I agree with you about bringing back the Sookie/Eric/Bill thing though, I like Sookie so much more when she's lonely and sassing everyone!
I hate Hoyt and emotions, so this episode wasn't great for me (there's a risk he might come back). I liked the death of the new Sheriff, though.
First off, I am loving the Russel/Newlin scenes, especially the scene where they danced to Katy Perry, I was laughing at that scene. Dam I really felt for Jason when Hoyt asked Jessica to erase the both of them from his mind and then Jason tried to reconnect but it didn't work and he broke down that was such a powerfull scene. Bill seems easily swayed, it seems like he does whatever others want him to do just to save his own skin! To me, it didn't really seem like Eric really bought into the whole thing, the way he was talking made it seem like he was putting on a show for them, even Russel seemed to see it. I am so sick of the place where the authority is and I hate the fact that they staked Molly, I was really enjoying that character. I swear the recent seasons have given Sookie and Jason better chemistry as siblings because if you look back at the 1st season or 2 they didn't really interact that much and didn't seem that close but now I love their chemistry. Awesome recap as usual, can't believe there's only 2 eps left!
BEST episode of the season!

How does TB do it? In the past few seasons there has consistently come a point (usually somewhere in the middle) when the show becomes so bogged down with uninteresting/annoying storylines, that I find myself completely devoid of caring about the whole damn thing.

But true to form, every year the writers find a way to shed the excess, pick up momentum and hurtle us toward a kickass finale.

Last week the tiresome Obama's storyline was put to rest, Terry, Arlene & the Ifrit situation was nicely resolved, Alcide shoved off to his dad's trailer park in Jackson, and Emma was taken by Russell, tying Sam and Luna into the thick of the plot. (Work off those flabby lovehandles, True Blood!) And this week, the Hoty/Jessica/Jason triangle was very emotionally concluded. Last years Sookie/Bill/Eric triangle made me very strongly dislike all the characters involved, and this years triangle made me feel something very similar. Jessica was a bitch seemingly sucking on anything that had a pulse, Hoyt was SOOOOO pathetic in his goth getup, and Jason was a mentally challenged asshole. All of them were getting on my nerves.

Little did I know all that would lead to one of the most emotionally evocative scenes in five seasons of this show. Deborah Ann Woll was devastatingly good. Possibly the best acting I've ever seen her do. And Jason's breakdown after letting Hoyt go really got to me. I imagined what it would be like if my best friend, someone I grew up and shared countless childhood stories with, wanted every memory of me expunged from their mind. That shit would hurt. Deep. I felt a great deal of sympathy for Jason in that moment. It's amazing how two scenes can so quickly change my opinion on two characters.

BUT

What I REALLY want to talk about is the whole Lillith killing Godric thing. What the hell was that?! If the blood in the vial is just Salome's and she's getting everybody high, then why did Godric appear to Eric and Nora? How does that figure into her plans? Even in ghost-death Godric imparted more wisdom to his children - Paraphrasing: "Stop this crazy bitch!" Are these nothing more than visions of junkies? Or are they something more? Regardless, I'm POSITIVE Eric hasn't suddenly found religion and is just doing what is necessary to stay alive, and judging by Nora's non-fanatical-eye-movements, she's beginning to reconsider her Lillith subscription.

What is concerning is Bill's continuing insanity. I wondered if he was just playing the long game, biding his time, waiting for the right moment to make his move. But nope! He's crazy! Two words have all but confirmed he's fully bought into the Lillith-aide: "Praise Lillith." He said this alone in a control room with no one to hear. There was no need for pretense. No need to prove his devoutness to Salome. He is truly a worshiper of blood drenched apparitions. WTF, Bill?!

On another note, Russell was AWESOME! The best villain this show has ever had just keeps getting better. I laughed out loud when Steve and him were dancing to Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream" amidst a crowd of corpses. It was dark and funny at the same time. In other words: classic True Blood. And I'm with you, Lily, every time Russell busts out the ancient accent my skin tingles. He portrays a mask of ambivalence and southern swagger, but he's a 3000-year-old vampire who is really showing his fangs. We all knew he, like Eric, never found religion. No, he has other things in mind. He wants to walk in the light. A dream of all night-faring folk share. The synthesization of Fae Blood is a magnificently ambitious idea. I love that this show is going there.

AND

I haven't even mentioned Pam and Tara! I can never get enough broadsword decapitations, so for the first time in a long time, I'm liking Tara again. The quickly developed bond she shares with Pam is also pretty touching. Maker/Progeny ties run deep. I like these two together.

Anyway, great episode, great review, great balls of fire!

(P.S. I was kinda pissed they killed off Molly. She was alright. Fuck you, Bill!)
traitor
I don't know if you watch SoA, but Bill is reminding me more and more of Clay from season 4. Guy does shitty things and is pretty much beyond the point of no redemption, yet he somehow lives through it all, because everybody was expecting Clay to die.
Is SoA a great show or one I can pass on? I've been debating about picking it up and starting from the beginning of Netflix, but honestly I really shouldn't start a new show, unless its along of the lines of Breaking Bad or something absolutely outstanding that shouldn't be missed.
It is certainly similar to Breaking Bad, but not only is it not as good, with the latest season finale they made me wish I had the willpower to stop watching before the series completes. In fact, it made me wish I could unwatch the first 4 seasons, because it that's how much build up there was to finally have no payoff on the second most important character arc.
I would definitely recommend SoA. It's about to start it's 5th season, and it's going to run up to 7.
I wouldn't put SOA up with Breaking Bad or Deadwood, maybe just a few shows under them though. But SOA is as gritty as both BB and Deadwood IMO.
Dang I'm going to miss Hoyt, the only other human besides Jason. Plus the actor who played him was well underused and underappreciated with his talent.
"...the only other human besides Jason" So, Andy, Arlene, Terry, Holly, Hoyt's Mama, Lafayette's Mama, and Ginger......not human?
Wow, why did True Blood wait too long to become awesomely good again? The last two episodes were so good, I'm shocked, especially last night's. Please continue being like this and I will never quit you. Hoyt/Jason/Jessia, I agree it was heartbreaking!

- Pam will be dancing happily. I am loving the Pam/Tara duo so hard. They need their own spin off or something.

- Bugs?

- I have absolutely no idea.

- I am not sure, it depends...

- I am pretty sure he doesn't!

Welcome back, True Blood! I missed you!

I guess I'm the only one who was really disappointed with the episode. Once again, it felt like a filler episode with nothing really happening--something like a TV series with 22 episodes in a season would do just to move on to the next week. True Blood only has 12 episodes though, and I thought this one was a little wasteful, especially because we've already had plenty of filler episodes this season. Yes, it was sad for Jessica and Jason, but Hoyt hasn't really been one of the favorite characters for a couple seasons now.

Pam and Tara steal the show again. Of COURSE Eric would have a broad sword lying in his office--so great. Also, the little mice scurrying around the underground authority was exciting.

At least this episode promises intrigue in the future.

(Really wish Russell would've killed Salome though...)
Finally a great episode. Hoyt is gone, and a great send off too, even though I didn't care about him in the end, I will always remember Hoyt and Jessica fondly. An amazing performance from Deborah Ann Woll. She's the one constant in this show (and Pam).

I think Bill knows Lillith is bs, I think he needed Nora to see this for herself and has some bigger game plan. Or else he is a twat.

Nice supporting non time wasting roles from Lafyette, Andy and Holly. Although Andy will have one role in the future as fairy baby daddy from the looks of it (no one else notice his knocked up piece of fairy ass?) And Luna and Sam didn't suck this week.

I firmly believe that Pam and Tara should rule the world. Can someone please write a Pam and Tara comic book series?!

And the greatest thing of all.... Russell Edgington is back!!!! Let the games begin. I just love him and Steve, and their psycho gay relationship. I can't wait for him to reek havoc.
Great episode! But all I can really think about now is what I saw in the previews for next week. Will Jason become a vampire??? It looked to me that he was in a grave, blood around his neck, and Jessica was laying beside him. I really hope this won't be true! We're running out of humans on True Blood!
Oh Russell! How I missed Thee! Kill the whole lot of them (except Erik ^^)!
Great episode!
first off, incredibly sad that they killed off vampire Mac (I don't know her name on this...)

I'm really getting tired of all this religious cult storyline going on. poor Jessica just got out of a strict religious family, now she's in another one? lame

Tara and Pam is probably the only good thing going for this show at the moment.

Tara killing the new Sheriff: Will Pam be angry or grateful?

Both, of course (she and Tara really are made for each other).

What animal will Luna and Sam morph into to escape detection at the Authority?

Bats? Maybe Luna will lose it again and morph into one of the vamps?

If Sookie belongs to Warlo, why hasn't he snatched her up sooner?

Looking forward to seeing this play out, as I have only probably wrong ideas.

.If you could erase the memory of an ex-boyfriend/girlfriend, would you?

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Also, that Hoyt did this made me incredibly sad.

Does Eric actually buy this Lillith hogwash or what?

Nope?
P.S I loved Denis O'Hare going into full blown villan mode. He is so deliciously unbalanced that i cant wait to see what he is going to do next.
I agree wholeheartedly. This was a really good episode.

1 Pams reaction: Outwardly, anger, because she knows that a huge pile of the stinky brown stuff is about to be upended over her, Tara and Fangtasia's combined heads. Inwardly, respect for Tara's huge metaphorical balls.

2.Hopefully something big, mean and incredibly nasty.

3. He probably fried a few brain cells during that encounter with Sookie's godmother and has spent the last 20-something odd years in La La land..

4. Nah, I would rather remember. If the relationship ended amicably, i would cherish the bitter-sweet memories. If it didnt, I could always use extra workout motivation.

5. Too early to tell, but i have noticed he has become a bit more shifty-eyed of late so i am leaning towards no.
Loved this ep., the Jessica/Hoyt/Jason thing was painfully great, have a great life Hoyt.

Sam & Luna, interesting for the first time, awesome.

@ the Bill & Eric situation, my theory is that Bill has been playing Salome from the begining, he only pretended to drink the kool-aid so he could be in her good side and by letting Eric and his sister get high together was a plan to get Nora to snap out of it, seeing her maker beg her to "fight" Lilith with his last words before getting killed by her should have hit something inside her, something that reminds her of who she was before embracing kokooland. That way he has now Eric AND Nora as allies, and he brought Jessica along, so now he has 4 ppl in his team, although, now that I think about it, Jessica is only a baby, so she wouldnt be an asset but a liability in the case of a fight, unless, her part in the escape plan isn't to get physical, but outsmart someone, anyhow, I still bealive in Bill, and can't wait to see him and Eric fight Russell over Sookie.

Pam & Tara, I <3, pls more screentime
This seems to be the first time you've been happy with an episode all season. I'll definitely give it that it was more focused than the rest, and there was no werewolf/ifrit/dumb fucking hate group bullshit. Deborah Ann Woll may be the best on the show, and her material on this episode kind of proves that. You summed up my feeling on Pam and Tara, though from the previews, it looks like there will be consequence for Tara's actions. Tara going Michonne on that sheriff was the best thing that character has ever done. However, I am getting pretty fucking fed up with their extremely limted screentime.

That's a nice review! And I loved he episode, too.

1. Tara killing the new Sheriff: Will Pam be angry or grateful?

I say she will be grateful and she'll even like and respect Tara more - but maybe Pam will not show it and act pissed off.

2. What animal will Luna and Sam morph into to escape detection at the Authority?

I have no idea! They have to take Emma with them so they cannot be flies or mice....don't know

3. If Sookie belongs to Warlo, why hasn't he snatched her up sooner?

Maybe a few years of waiting isn't important for him because ...eternity you know

4. If you could erase the memory of an ex-boyfriend/girlfriend, would you?

No. It helps me not to make the same mistakes again.

5. Does Eric actually buy this Lillith hogwash or what?

Hell NO!!! Maybe he's a bit confused because of what he has "seen" (Godrick/Lillith) but I think he still is NOT pro-Lillith. Nope. He's too smart (and good looking btw) for this. :)
Now you're killing Godric's ghost!?!? C'mon!!

You would think that by now True Blood would realize how much better a show it is when it disposes of all the tangental story lines and links all it's characters into the main plot.

Didn't see Terry and Arlene, didn't care.

Sam and Luna, inside the main plot, no longer chasing menthol smoking hog ladies, FTW! Lafayette, Andy and the blond witch, less than 2 minutes of screen time, fantastic.

Jason, Hoyt, Jessica, nicely wrapped up, Jessica into main storyline, peace out Hoyt. Sorry Jason, you get the short end of that straw ending up in Sookie's awful storyline.

Sookie, awful. Thank God Russell is about to make her relevant again.

Do we know who was cast as Warlo?

It is my hope that Bill and Eric are on the same page in trying to defeat Salome and they are just playing along now. I mean, Bill could see they were hallucinating; hopefully that changed his mind. I would not erase the memory of an ex/that pain made me who I am today so I don't make the same mistakes.

Warlo must have been detained.
Load More Comments