True Blood: Lillith Is Back! Kind Of?

True Blood S05E08: "Somebody That I Used to Know"

I have spent the last three weeks alarming Europeans about the state of the Americas and eating butter sandwiches and getting lost in castles (true story) but now I’m back. Yes, I know you’ve gotten used to the truly amazing coverage by Price, but True Blood readers, you are hereby evicted from the heights of the Peterson Penthouse and it's back to the basement with crazy Aunt Lily. (Cue the tinkling of bone wind chimes and a malicious cackle.) Sorray! However, I did extort several screengrabbing secrets from Price (people usually take in about four years of design school to handle the stuff he’s figured out on his own. I bow down!), so hopefully the images are a little improved.

First of all, having watched this week’s episode BEFORE I went back and watched the other episodes, I caught on pretty quickly because frankly not a ton of things have really changed? Yes, as we predicted in the premiere in a shocking twist, Salome overthrew hunky boyfriend Christopher Meloni and the Authority celebrated by getting super high, but even with the regime change, it seems like we’re still stuck in that same eternal business meeting. I did love the bead play though. Wasted girls and beads: WE LOVE THEM!!!

Yes, the vibe is warmer and chattier, what with Denis O’Hare’s delightful energy and glass-cutting one liners, but we’re all still in that underground room. Instead of talking about contacting vampire parliament and different global vampiric governments, couldn’t they, like, conference call them? They wouldn’t even need to build a new set, just a good backdrop behind some extras. Just to break the monotony of sitting around a tastefully lit Design Within Reach table.

It’s fascinating that between Bill and Eric, Eric is the one having a crisis of conscience about mercilessly lording over humans (this is the same guy who kept Lafayette tied up to a corpse carousel for most of Season 2), but after a rather stunning flashback of Bill refusing to turn his dying daughter to a vampire, there is an emotional logic to Bill being converted. Also, Salome is one foxy minx. Big hair and plunging necklines and old-school glamour apparently do a lot to distract guys from the fact you’re a walking metaphor for female manipulation. And when he finds out about the World’s Dumbest Hate Group kidnapping Jessica, Bill will be EVEN MORE miffed.

Seriously, quells yokels! “Dude, we went to a lot of trouble to subdue a powerful vampire. Now I know we just met you and frankly we’re not even entirely sure of your allegiance but here is a gun, there’s the girlfriend you are still obviously obsessed with, we will be in the other room just chilling, that is how group violence works, lots of privacy and moments for a dialogue between the abusers and abused."

I absolutely loved when Jessica told Hoyt she had prayed to love him again. That was like a punch in a gut. So many relationships die a natural death and it's incredibly sad—in fact, one of the great human tragedies—but you rarely see it acknowledged on TV. Once again Jessica provided the most authentic moment on the show. Although the fact she was unable to defend herself because they draped her with, like, silver confetti means that when we saw her fight her way through silver CHAINS last season it was the continuity equivalent of a short squeaky fart in a small room. It's okay, but we noticed.

Luna/Sam was smelling something: Can I posit a theory that Hoyt’s mother is behind the hate group (and was also the “friendly face” who picked him up off the road at gunpoint)? Mello Yello? Cheetos? OBVIOUSLY Mrs. Fortenberry. Also, back to that whole “Luna/Sam” madness: Once again actor Sam Trammell got to mercilessly mock one of his primary scene partners for a whole week of filming, and yuck. When I say True Blood is one of TV’s best comedies, this shit is NOT what I’m talking about. Trammell’s portrayal of Janina Gavankar was basically the default snotty falsetto high school guys use to make fun of their girlfriends, although the sexual chemistry between Sam and himself was undeniably off the charts.

What did make me laugh was Lafayette insisting on getting paid for being a medium. Like, finally. It’s always annoyed the money-grubbing bitch in me that Sookie has never done more with her mind-reading than get pissed while cleaning tables. Lafayette is sitting on a goldmine (see Crossing Over with John Edward for a nauseating example of opportunism gone wild), and it would be refreshing to see one of these basically omnipotent characters DO something with their skills. I would love it if Lafayette got a cable access call-in psychic show, for instance. Was no one else getting a Miss Cleo (nee Youree Dell Harris, American shaman) vibe during the fake séance?!

Slain Zephira decrees: Either Terry must kill Patrick or vice versa! Cue Patrick RUNNING out of the room, because he knows he’s only been on the show for five episodes. Truly, the suspense is unbearable: How long will we have to wait before Terry kills Patrick in some completely accidental, unavoidable, unintentional way? Season finale? Second-to-last episode?

Sookie crying “I kin' smell Mama’s perfume!” whilst clasping hands with Cirque De Soleil’s cast of Hair strained one of the smaller muscles behind my eye because I rolled them so fast and so hard. I really hope I will be okay. While I love that Jason talked Sookie out of de-charging her fairy powers, he gave her all the wrong arguments. My speech would have been more like: “Sookie, your fairy powers are quite literally the only thing you have going these days and they’re also the only guaranteed defense against vampires, considering the way writers treat silver on this show. Also, you also got to eff Eric hard core, so stop whining.” By the end of the episode, Sookie had a good reason to value her vampire tasers, the hilariously named Warlo. Also, why was Warlo talking through a voice distorter? Was it in the same Halloween Costume Bargain Bin where he found the Freddy Krueger hat?

One thing that did shock me in my first viewing of this episode (before I watched the missed episodes) was that Alcide had partnered up with a very sexy lady who was NOT Sookie. Lady blue balls all over the place for Sookie! No wonder she’s going outside and throwing lightning bolts at the sky: sexual frustration.

Even having gotten up-to-date with the season, I am still puzzled by the most basic motivations of the werewolves. I’m not just talking about their dubious fashion choices, but the glaring moment when Marcus’s grieving mom kept Alcide from getting killed by the V'd up challenging werewolf. This whole Miss Manners act was so unconvincing they had to explicitly explain it in the dialogue. “You don’t want me to kill Alcide? But he killed your son!” “I know but he is a main character and you are a peripheral villain!” “Good point, good point.”

Finally, obviously the best thing this season/ever is Pam and Tara’s relationship. Pam made a present to Tara of her high school bully and they’re both looking super foxy in every scene. I wish the writers had sprinkled more of these two throughout the episode. Although along with the silver and the internal logic of the werewolf community, I would love a short explanation on the duration of glamouring. You’d think if you could permanently transform a human into a blood-whore, this whole question of vampires controlling the world would have been settled long ago. (As in, we’d all be blissfully willing blood whores currently. Doesn’t sound so bad.)

QUESTIONS:

1. Eric: gearing up to be the true vampire hero of this season?

2. Can someone explain werewolf morals to me?

3. Will new sets eventually come into play or is it going to be back and forth between Bon Temps and the Authority?

4. What will you do for a string of Mardi Gras beads when you’re wasted?

Thank u so much for bringing up the glamouring question. Its been gnawing at me.
How powerful is "glamouring" supposed to be? How long do its effects last? Most importantly, could it turn someone into a slave or a "renfield" permanently? I feel like if it can it would give vampires too much power for them to be seen as just other people, seeing as they can make you whatever they want forever, with just a single glance. Charlene Harris says its effects are only temporary in her novels,(other than memory loss I assume) but I'd like to know what its supposed to be in the series. Thx
I loved the matching mother/daughter outfits Pam and Tara had on. Basically made the episode for me.
Hey Lily great to have you back. Congratulations! 1) For sure. but then again I am disgusted withBill and have been for some time now. He is a coward and tends to do whatever is in is his best interests at the time. 2) Doing V and selling out the pack to vampires is WAAAAYY worse than killing the pack leader. I can see her point. her son is dead killing Alcide won't bring him back - besides which you can see that he is a good guy. If I was her I too would be more pissed off at the guy who tried to get my 8 year old grand-daughter hooked on V. 30 don;t hodl your breath! Popular though it is, True Blood does have a finite budget. 4) I thought you had to get laid to get the beads. I'm not sure I'd chow down on a kid! BTW - Loving the (potential) new couple of Steve & Russell - they should get rid of all the other authortiy vamps and fous on those two. also love the the developing relatinship between Tara and Pam. thre has been much talk of how the relationship is good for Pam as she is learning how to be a maker and care for offspring, but I can also see the benefits for Tara as she has someone who appreciates her feistiness but also has the opportunity to learn how to channel her aggresion in a smart manner.
First things--I just don't have the energy this week. It was pretty much gonna be "Blah blah, Sam / Luna...really? Blah Blah, good one, Alcide," and "Save us from ourselves, Russell."

Finally, this show sucks and I'll be watching next week.
i miss price
Welcome back, Lily!! Hope you had a blast!!!

-I seriously think Eric IS the hero of this show. Bill's great, but Eric is just awesome. Plus, I liked Sookie and Eric better than Bill and Sookie.

-Werewolf morals: Hate on vampires and disdain anything relating to them/Hot werewolves get with other hot werewovles, frequently and crazily/every brand of physical and psychological torture against fellow werewolves is okay except when that means actually killing a werewolf, but humans and vampires are fair game

-Pretty much just there I think. I wish they would do more, though. Season 2 was great, we got shots of Dallas and the whole church image. Great sets there.

-I plead the fifth on this one.
If it wasn't for you guys, I wouldn't be able to keep up with this show :)
The whole Bill and Eric storyline is just reminding too much of high school drama about peer pressure...
Why would you watch this episode before the ones you've missed? I would understand it if you were in a hurry to write this review, but clearly you wrote it after you saw them all. Makes little sense.
Staff
That's actually a really good question, and it gave me a moment's pause. I think its two very personal answers: I LOVE sleuthing plots out (for instance, starting a hokey Lifetime movie halfway through adn having to catch up from context is a big guilty pleasure) and I hate hate hate unhappy endings. Like, before I buy a book to read on a plane I will check the last line and make sure it suggests a happy ending before i commit to it, so when I have a chance to peek ahead with my favorite TV characters adn make sure none of them are going to get decapitated over the next couple hours I'm going to spend caring about them, I can actually enjoy the show more. Crazy? Compulsive? Sure.
1. Dunno.

2. They don't have any.

3. I believe your opening paragraph said it best, we're permanently stuck in the basement.

4. I hate beads.

Speaking of hate....maybe one of my fellow TB Hate Groupers can tell me why we all wasted an hour watching this garbage. (We did it for Godric.) Ugh, Tara. Worst character ever now in self righteous-vindictive mode. Gag.

Please Lillith, give some of us the actual strength to walk away from TB at the end of this season and not get glamoured into wasting another summer on it.
Staff
I do hate the authority chililng and chilling and chilling in their wing of NYC's Metropolitan Museum, but there are redeemable moments that still keep me watching. Like Lafayette's mom waking up to Jesus's head and being totally cool with it and just hollering for Lafayette. There is still an edge there that no other show has, a humor up there that reminds me actually of Louie in how surreally ludicrous it is. And also pecs and breasts, depending on what your bag is...are very glamouring.
So you did it for Godric eh, a character that's been dead for three seasons and barely shows up now. No wonder you hate the show so much. I'm just teasing, but I honestly don't know how to give up. I just can't imagine tuning into a show where I hate every fucking thing about it. There are a few things I still like, but yeah you know. I don't know. You gave up on Dexter, damn it you could give up on this show.
Martha lost her son & knows Alcide is the only hope for her pack, now that JD is on V. That seems pretty rational and self-explanatory to me.

Regarding glamouring, I guess it has something to do with vampires wishing to remain hidden until recently & always being extremely outnumbered by humans, as well as ethical concerns a portion of the vampire population may have. Also, having blissfully glamoured humans sounds lovely, but who would have cared for their young in the times when b12 and iron supplements did not exist and they were all woozy & loopy from blood loss & glamour-fog? Too many details to consider - better to suck and run.

Rather than pose a continuity error, the intense effect from the thin silver chains contrasted with the heavy silver chains from season four simply show how much power the necromancer had over the vampires. Just as Bill made it quite far in the sun in season 1 to "save" Sookie via the power of love/obsession, the awesome power of a witch scorned forced Jessica out of that silver and into the sun.

That said, your recap was funny as hell! :)
No mention of Bill seemingly turning to evil and coming up with the idea to blow up the Tru-Blood factories?

I mean I know he's gonna be the good guy in the end but surely worth talking about once.

Nora is driving me insane, she was hot and passable for the first episode and now I have not liking for her whatsoever, although her worst offence was saying Bad-Arse in the first episode.

Yes we Brits use arse but no one says that, we say bad-ass just like everyone else, when you hear things like that you can't help but wonder why the actress playing Nora didn't point it out to the writers (or maybe she did but they wanted that British twist on it, even if it lacks authenticity).

Staff
Is that evil? I think I kind of addressed it in, surprisingly Eric ist he good guy, but as I mentioned, I think Bill's regret over not turning his daughter (conveniently slapped on in a revelatory flashback) gives that perspective change enough emotional foundation. Bill has gone dark before (effing Lorena, killing strippers) and without Sookie he falls into the chaotic spectrum of DD morality if you will. So no, I wasn't totally mind-blown that he would want to blow up factories. His nerdy efficiency has been a running constant and blowign up factories, while it will lead to human death via drinking, is also in keeping with his "sometimes I jsut don't give a rats-arse (jk) mentality."

Okay look, the penalty for having one of the coolest accents in the world and everyone who is not from the UK desperate to hear you talk all the time is that people will imitate you badly, but apologies all the same. Nora should definitely have pointed it out.
Yea I suppose I wasn't really convinced by his (as you say outrageously in your face) flashback with his daughter that he is now truly against the 'main-streamers'.

Lorena never really had him bent to her ways during these seasons (only in flashbacks) did she? He shagged her when trying to worm in with Russel/keep people from asking why he had such a vested interest in Sooki. As you say there was also the stripper but again he was doing Russel's bidding and can't really refuse the 3000 year old bad-arse/bad-ass. I would enjoy it if Bill let out his dark side a bit more so am hoping you're right and its not just a standard True Blood flip flop cliffhanger ending, righted within a minute of the next episode.

In general I thought this episode was pretty weak, especially the "world's dumbest hate group", I mean its not even believable within the True Blood universe and that's saying something. Also your remarks about Terry's story are spot on, depressingly predictable now.

Ok so fair (flattering) comment about the accents, I can deal with it but will also be on here to have a grumble occasionally (after all I am British). Oh yea and remember British accents can be vary variable, although I have the typical "posh" southern English accent many are completley different, the name Cheryl Cole and her incomprehensibility in the U.S.A. springs to mind.
More +
I think Bill's just pretending. He's always had a craven, self-preservative side that usually goes away once he has a chance to survive doing the good guy thing.
Still don't understand Alcide's new relationship. He finally gets further than he ever has with Sookie and...immediately finds someone else? Were they just looking for an excuse to get him naked until he actually does get with Sookie (if so, thank you writers!)?
Alcide = on the rebound. Also, I don't think Sookie's wonky powers undid the whammy Eric did on our favorite wolf via the glamouring; not to mention the puke on the shoes + 2x vampire exes = cock-blocking extraordinaire. Bad math for Alcide & Sookie.
"Also, why was Warlo talking through a voice distorter? Was it in the same Halloween Costume Bargain Bin where he found the Freddy Krueger hat?" lolol... you put my thoughts while watching this ep into words!
The whole thing with Jessica overcoming the chains last season and not being able to now can be explained by the fact that last season she was under the control of that spell compelling her to go into the sunlight, not some untold of strength.

Plus it kind of fits with how vampires are depicted on the show, the older the vampire the stronger he or she is but the more effected he or she is by vampire weaknesses. It explains why Bill was able to walk all that way in the sun in season 1 while Godric went quickly. Eric and Bill could not overcome the silver but Jessica could becuase she is a younger vampire. She may not be as strong as they are but she is also not as susceptible to silver.

As for the werewolves. I think it stems from last episode when she saw that older vampire offer V to her granddaughter. She kept Alcide alive and is probably going to help him overthrow this packmaster. Like Alcide, she sees the use of V as against the wolf way and despite Alcide killing Marcus, she still has honor.
Staff
I just don't think the spell vs. silver logic is really there, as Bill was able to resist (despite being an older "weaker" vampire?) I appreciate the argument but I still think her youth was what overcame the silver last season, although honestly between the two of us I think we have considered this point more than any of the writers currently on staff.
glad to have you reviewing true blood again. it's comically bad at the moment in most respects and thankfully your reviews treat it as such.

sam as luna was painful indeed. you know i thought sam looked like he was more into himself than whoever he was sharing the screen with so that sam on sam romance bit was great. at that point during the show i just had the sound going in the background. totally missed it.
I stopped watching because it's too boring but glad you're back, Lily!
I don't have to be wasted to flash a few folks for Mardi Gras beads, but it would help to be high.

*I think you made a good point about Sookie needing to keep her powers because they are what keep her alive in all the stupid predicaments she puts herself into. And if she stops being a fairy, won't she still have the same blood, so when they come after her she won't have powers to protect her self and vamps like Russel E will rip her apart.

*Yeah, the werewolves morals seem so here and there. I think Alcide could have taken dude who's name I can't even remember, if he wasn't hyped up on V. I mean Alcide wasn't doing that bad, so imagine if it was a sober fight.

*I still find it hard to believe that Bill is so far gone and Eric is the one following the moral of the story...because Eric is older? Because Bill was turned by a radical and Eric a treehugger (btw i love treehuggers)? It's like get to the point on this part of the storyline and tell us, are they gonna go on a human killing spree or will Eric/bill stop them before that happens?

*I don't mind the Bon Temps seens, I mean how often do regular people travel outside their state...vacations/holidays/ fam reunions-funerals, so it makes sense on the human note, but yeah the vampires should span out from the basement. But I don't think they are still in Bon Temps

P.S. I continue to watch this show in hopes of it going totally off course and Sookie finally dies/get killed:)

Hurry and just come on already Dexter, I miss you
Do you people ever fucking give up?
Welcome back Lily! Am I glad that u r back to review True Blood. And what better way to kark your presence than to review the insanity that is True Blood. Man, I missed your reviews for the past 3 weeks. Price's review were alright, but he is more of an artsy fartsy kinda guy. At this point, the only reason i am watching True Blood is to enjoy your reviews the next day.

That said, the senselessness of True Blood has reached a point where even Joker might find it hard to predict what's going on through people's mind when they are doing whatever it is they are doing. Werewolves are having sex right before fighting werewolves high on V, shifters consoling themselves by putting their heads in their lap (the funniest scene ever), vampires getting high on some kind of super drug and Pam's one liners "My mad face and happy face are the same". This series is insane. But given the lack of authentic comedies in the summer schedule, i am not complaining. together with your reviews, anything seems watchable at this moment. Please review some other insane series too!
Welcome back Lily! Wow, great screencaps!

Was I the only expecting the Gotye song by the title?

You know that feeling of giving up? The sudden realization that as much as you want it, things aren't going to change? Well, that's my current situation with the show. Unfortunately, it just keeps getting worse and worse. It's just all over the place, a disjointed mess of too many storylines unfolding at the same time giving it a chaotic feel. The drop in the quality is so sudden and so extreme that it makes it even worse. True Blood is now a poor imitation or parody of what it used to be. There's just too many storylines and frankly most of them are boring and uninteresting. They seriously need to drop some or just connect them to rest. Another problem is that the storylines that are sort of interesting are given so little time or are not executed well. Take the whole vampires vs humans thing, right now we should be really invested in this and excited... but it has been so boring and slow and the whole Authority thing has been such a mess. I really don't care who tried to kill Luna (frankly she should stayed dead) or Sam.... Right now, the only thing I'm sort of interested in is the mystery of the death of Sookie's parents. Unfortunately, if this episode is any indication they're going to dedicate like 5 seconds to the storyline
RE: the Gotye song... lol nope. I saw the episode title and was like 'noooo.... now that song is gonna be stuck in my head again...' (and it was -___- lol).
You feel that way because you are looking at each thread as a different story somehow related to the major plot. What is going on, to my mind, is that we are being treated about one plot and how human beings, changelings, minor vampires,werewolves, etc.... seethe plot thicken. These are not storylines as much as being points of view.But then again, I might be missing the point myself.......
I'm not really sure what to make of True Blood anymore, but I know I'll keep watching, if only for more pictures of Eric captioned so hilariously! 'Not feelin' this terrorism' made me laugh...a lot. PS. I loved your self-deprecating start, very British of you.
I still hate Salome and Nora, both are evil. The way it's going they are going to destroy the whole authority, which will result in more corruption. If Roman was still alive, this will not be happening. He was the only one that was trying to keep the peace..

TPTB wanted us to know that Salome followed her MO and did to Roman what she had done to John the Baptist (whose head was put unto a silver tray, btw).I don't think peace was ever on that evil bitches' mind.
Why didn't Pam turn Tara before? This is the best Maker/Progeny team ever!
I was pretty sure Sam was gonna french kiss himself, which would have been worth a technical Emmy at least. I was kinda disappointed he kissed himself on the forehead.
Yeah. With this show, when enough of it has fallen into the wood chipper, it might as well just let go and fall completely in.
I thought it would've been a little too much for him to kiss himself, but I definitely would not have put it past the show to do that.
This episode was LAME.
I haven't read the books, so this could be way off, but are they intentionally making the mystery vampire appear to be Bill? He kind of looks like Bill, Sookie is linked with him (she has drank his blood) and he had that weird file on her family awhile back.
I was thinking she is only linked to this vampire because he drank from her mom and she is linked through the blood of her mother; and that is why she could channel. I don't think it could be Bill
I think only the first season followed the books.

Have we ever seen Bill wear a hat? This should be someone new, but then I don't get why they didn't just show his face. Maybe it's because he will show up in Bon Temps and not reveal who he is right away.
They don't always go by the books, this is just a spinoff of the books and it doesn't go according to the book. Plus there is a stuff that isn't even in the books.
Yeah, I think that's probably the best way to look at it. A spinoff or "what if" version of the books.
Lily, I know this is you column and you do it your way, but Price had a better layout. It was an improvement. Can you please for the sake of your readers follow his layout? Thank you in advance.
Layout: A captioned picture followed by words? What on earth are you talking about?
I think the person is talking about dividing it by story arcs. So the Authority storyline will get a caption, a review and a grade then move on to the next story arc which could be the Alcide one. Similarly this episode would have the Fae storyline, Alcide storyline, Authority storyline, Shifters/Anti-Supes storyline and the Afrit/Lafayette storyline. I liked that layout of dividing it that way with grades for each.
Oh, that. Has its plusses and minuses. I find it kind of jarring sometimes when things from the end of the episode are covered at the beginning and middle and end of the article.
I agree...and leaving all together Lily can choose which story lines can be more or less ignored, which is fine by me! Let her do what she likes!
I think that both Eric and Bill are still on the same waveline, but Bill wants to get in deeeper and infiltrate the Sanganista until he finds all the information to defeat them, while Eric is playing the card of the open rebel,knowing that if he was meant to die he would have dies. There is something special about Eric and I already wrote it somewhere else,that among the vampires they with Bill are the only ones that drank fairy blood, and Eric sooner in time than Bill, and apparently in more quantity.

I thought the idea Bill had to destroy the True Blood factories as that of a turncoat,until I remembered whom we were talking about. I think that the True Blood factories and the formula to produce the blood like beverage is at the core of the subplots and unifies them. This is after all the name of the series, and it is about time we understood exactly what True Blood is all about.We must never forget the essential plot that is that vampire blood acts on human and on vampires themselves under certain conditions, as well as the fairy influences upon it as well.Somewhere in there, Eric and Bill will find the vampiric kryptonite and use it.
I guess The Vampir Warlo or however its is spelled, is someone Sookis drank blood from. Its about the only reason i can think of. Vampires get a telepathic link to the ones they gave their blood to. Why not vice versa.

The thing with silver i guess is based on the fact, that Jessica was not posessed by an evil witch this time., that made her fight through her silver chains without any regard for pain. Also the time she last fed might be of some importance. And since she was about to feed we can sssume she was hungry.
In my opinion, the episodes have been improving every week, but there are still too many plot lines happening. I'm waiting for Eric and Sookie to cross paths again, and hoping that it happens sooner than later.
I honestly enjoyed it more than the past few eps. Granted, it was very predictable, some of the dialogue was atrocious, and there is still way too much stuff going on. Still love the fangtasia stuff, even if the Pam/Tara material was alot more twisted this week, I still enjoyed it. It probably comes off as just another subplot too far removed from the other things for some people, but it doesn't get that much time anyway. Still fucking hate this Terry storyline, but Lafayette was great at least, channeling some of his season 1 aura. Everything else, Lily you summed up. I think this Warlow is either Bill, Russell, or another vampire, and I think the "Dragon" leader is Bud (he was with a fat bitch last week.) From next week's previews, it looks like shit will start to intertwind at least, oh and I don't care if Hoyt, Terry, and Patrick die either.
Oh, and thanks for that fabulous view of Alcide :-)

And people need to stop comparing the books to the series. I have read the entire series, and the TV series is much more enjoyable if you just go with it. Pretend the books don't even exist....at this point, pretty sure there is not a single storyline from the books still in the TV series.
Ummm, I haven't gone back and looked yet but I am pretty sure we got a good front shoot of Alcide in all his glory when he threw that chick onto the bed. Am I the only one that saw that? Can I get a screen shot, please...poster size? :)

As for the books, I never compared it. I agree the tv show is much better. I read all of them but the last two. The show does seem to stay close to the story arc in some ways, which I like. I hope we get to see Quinn soon, and Amelia. Book six was the best.

I will say this season seems little dramatic. Taking over the world? I'll have to wait and see where this goes. We have seen this movie before. It seems like they are tying the story lines together which I love. Like in season 2 and 1.

Lilith Sparks you are the one true vampire god! Kneel before Lilith! (write longer reviews please)
"What do you want to do tonight, Brain?"

"The same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world." xD.
Unfortunately it was darkened out
True. But there are many things from the books... and more importantly, the whole spirit from the book is intact. Honestly I don't know what other people want from this show. I would love to see a script from the ones complaining over and over about everything. The thing about reading the books is that u know if they are going in the same direction even if it's not the same story. And I actually think that if people compared the show with the book they would stop complaining about it. They want rooms full of blood, boobs, no development of charaters and kicking and fighting.

I just feel happy that I'm watching a show with such good quality :)
My thoughts exactly. The book complaining started small in season 2, then went through the roof on season 3 and continued into season 4. Now I don't read the books and I understand that people have big problems with the liberties Ball took, but we are at season 5 with this show. If the show has deviated from the books for so long and still does, why would you expect it to be anything else at this point?
I'm team Bill all the way, and I really hope he gets sh**t back together soon... don't like this Bill. And I'm sorry, but Eric is not hero material...

Though Godric's so called swedish is HILARIOUS!
I have always liked his accent. I guess it's mostly because I don't recognize it. (I'm Swedish. The actor is Danish). I think this is consistent with the idea that he's a very old Vampire from that part of the world (Sweden/Norway/Denmark).

However, as I said last week, I hated Godric's appearance in last week's episode, even though the Godric of season 2 is still my favorite True Blood character. It was just so incredibly lame.

Also, the Swedish dialogue is always pretty badly written. I guess they don't really care, since a vast majority of viewers don't understand it anyway.
Danish huh, that could explain it
I think Eric and Bill are going to team up to save the day. Bill always has something up his sleeve. I really don't think he's joined the Sanguinista posse. In fact, I think all the others vamps (except possibly Russell and/or Steve Newlin) are going to meet the true death by the end of the season.

It also bothered me how Warlo had a distorted voice. And how did Sookie "see" him in her bathroom? Some new power she picked up?
Thank you for that amaaaazing picture...... 2 perfect cheeks :) He has the most delicious body! gaaaah
Oh Godric! You were so tiny but your spirit looms large... Spoiling Eric's blood orgy.... Conscience-ridden Eric was hilarious with puppy eyes asking Bill 'you coming?'

Also loving the blossoming romance between Steve Newlin & doting Russell... They're SO not into the Lilith agenda... They'll be on a 1st class plane to HK at the first sign of trouble...
I have read almost read all of the Southern Vampire Mysteries (the original subtitle for the books) except the last one because I couldn't forsee watching and reading at the same time since I am about at equal annoyance with both, but I will respond in the most non specific reference to the book way possible..

1. Eric is the true vampire hero of the whole story but there is emphasis on the vampire portion of that as he is similarly constrained by different (as equally unclear, but not so in your face) vampire politics. Of course his maker in the book is a bad guy, not his conscience.

2. As in the books, a shrug is the best answer I could give you. Honestly, I get confused with Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan's early book relationship with the were population and Sookie's. The biggest thing I have just been dreading is that while Alcide in the books in nice and all, it led Sookie to the ill fated romance with Quinn. I really have always thought this whole storyline was to lead Sookie to eventually seeing she liked the warmth and aliveness of the weres compared to vampires who were quiet around her (and hello, that is one of the primary reasons that book Sookie likes the vampires because they are not in her head all the time) but she did not like their tempers or possessiveness and she couldn't be around humans, but there was Sam (who in the books, she can't really read shifter's minds, she can only read their emotional state).

3. Eventually it will just be Bon Temps and Shreveport (where Fantagsia is).

4. Hard to tell....