True Blood Renewed for Season 5

We all saw this coming a country mile away, but HBO has now formally renewed True Blood for a fifth season. The cat's been out of the bag since the superhero pajama party known as Comic-Con, where show creator Alan Ball revealed that he'd signed on as showrunner for an additional season, even though HBO hadn't announced a fifth season yet. Many of us were smart enough to put two and two together, making today's announcement a mere formality. Way to tell us something we already know, HBO.

True Blood is HBO's biggest hit, and Sunday's episode wasn't only the highest-rated thing on HBO, nor was it merely the highest-rated thing on cable; it was also the highest-rated thing in all of television land for the evening. More than 5 million viewers tuned in, resulting in a 2.9 rating in the adult demographic—an impressive feat for a premium cable network.

And now for the editorial portion of this news-you-already-knew: Despite the impressive numbers True Blood is still posting, the show appears to be losing some of its sizzle. Lots of (former) fans I've talked to have called it quits, and office chatter about True Blood has quieted. Is this a wide phenomenon? Are you hearing the same thing? Are you as much in love with the Bon Temps crowd as you were when you first met them?

Would you like True Blood to live forever? Or should the show look ahead and set an end date?

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Jan 18, 2012
Just tripping in to add my two cents... I think that the Eric/Sookie things wasn't that hard to piece together (or maybe I'm just way out there...) But Sookie was tripping on the V, and well... Sookie *is* a faerie... I would suppose that her blood might have an interesting effect on vamps. Could explain why they crave it, much the way V addicts crave vamp blood, yes?

If people cut HBO out of their budget, never fear... there's always the DVD'S! :D I myself don't have HBO, and I didn't get introduced to the show until the beginning of this last season. So maybe I'm not a good barometer, but I love it and plan to keep watching it!!
Aug 31, 2011
I still love the show. I love the books so it's exciting to see many of the book plots come to life. I believe some of the story lines have gotten "out there" without enough explanation, e.g., the Sookie/Eric snow bed scene. I figured they were "V" tripping together like Jason and Amy used to, but there wasn't much to explain that, especially with Eric being a vamp. I know that scene cost them at least one viewer. My best friend said he was done after that. I'll watch until it's canceled. I can't help myself. I'm hooked!
Aug 30, 2011
I dont think that the ambers burnt out of anything, its just, well maybe people are cutting HBO out of their budget for now.......

but my fires started burning with the new persona of Eric Northman....sexy!
Aug 18, 2011
I heart True Blood. i am glad they;re finlly explaining hte whole odd thing with the baby and my fave part is the Eric x Sookie pariring
Aug 17, 2011
If the series was like the books I'd be disappointed. I think Alan Ball has done a great job - taking the ideas behind the books and making it something new and even better. This season is the best since season one, even though I'm a Bill fan all the way. Hope he and Sookie are back together next year because their sex scenes are HOT. :)
Aug 17, 2011
I think the seasons should follow the books more then they do I mean the books have done great thats why they made true blood and I've read most of the books and this season I was looking forward to because the forth book was my favorite and they're nothing alike they have similarities like Eric having no memories and they're are witches but besides that they are pretty different. I hope they reel it in a bit and get a little more like the books and I wanna see more of the fairy side of Sookie and her and Erics relationship grow just like in the books and what not.
Aug 13, 2011
they need to get rid of Jason, Tommy, those werewolves( those 2 are the first) and maybe bring new werewolves in.

but they hit gold with witches and vampires. more of this and more of Sookie,Eric,Pam,Bill, Jess, LaFayete(I don't know how to spell,don't hate me). I also didn't read books and don't know if they follow it very closely, but this is my opinion
Aug 12, 2011
the forth is the best season
Aug 12, 2011
I haven't read the books, but I could see the next season's story focus on werewolves versus werepanthers, and then the vampires get mixed into the fight via the Sookie-Eric-Bill-Alcide love quadrilateral. Oh yeah, and add on Debbie and that make a... love pentagon? Plenty of story still to be told!
Aug 12, 2011
I just met them and I am ALLLL about them! I hadn't watched until recently...about 2 weeks ago or so. And I watched the entire series up to current and now I'm freakin hooked!!!

I tell everybody I know about it and if they havent watched it yet, I tell them to start now and go back to the beginning and watch them all...I tell them they will LOVE IT!!!
A toda madre!!!
Aug 12, 2011
knew they would get another season, each episode leaves you hanging for more.
Aug 12, 2011
Tim, I don't know how much the TV.com staff converses with one another, but if you mentioned the possibility that True Blood is losing it's salacious sizzle to Lily Sparks, your resident True Blood reviewer, she might try to afflict you with Antonia's rotting curse. Lily profusively praised the last episode, and to her credit, had many intellectually insightful points to back up her opinion. While I do think it was a fantastic episode(definitely the best of the season), in my opinion the overall quality of True Blood has declined these past two seasons. I am absolutely not about to jump ship, and still love some of the characters(Eric and Pam), but others have survived way, way too long(cough . . .Tara). If the last episode is any indication, the show is beginning to return to its glory days, and as long as Charlaine Harris keeps providing material, I will continue to watch.
Aug 12, 2011
HAHA! Yeah Tim, you better watch out.
Aug 12, 2011
still love the show - never miss an episode - true blood rocks
Aug 12, 2011
The show is just perfect. I think that the buzz is really great whenever it's not on the air.
Aug 12, 2011
Obviously, since the ratings are that good, either it hasn't really lost that many fans or it has gained enough new ones to make up for the ones that have stopped watching. Whatever the case, it's their loss.

The show hasn't lost any of it's magic in my opinion. If anything, what we've seen so far this season is TB staying true to it's soul but improving. Season three had great actors, a fantastic villain, a revenge story with deeply historical elements and all of the regular trademark craziness och comedy. In season four (so far) we've already seen another great revenge story (only with a bigger scope and of potentially much bigger importance). Add to that a "villain" that you can pretty much identify with, some hilarious spanish and english accents, great acting, great writing and directing (for the most part), an almost infinite number of possibly intertwining plots, at least a couple of laughs per episode, a beautiful but heartbreaking scene of love simultaneously lost and won, etc... TB really is one of kind as far as TV shows go. There is nothing quite like it.
yay, best show ever!!
Aug 12, 2011
I've loved this show since the beginning, so while I'm not surprised by this news, I'm ecstatic to officially hear it.
Aug 12, 2011
that's good, but i didn't expect it to not get renewed though. I like the show and the plot overall, but these witches this season need to DIIIIIE and go away forever. and Tara siding with them? bad

however i don't believe in ratings system, it's severly flawed. until 100% of households participate, it's not 100% accurate
Aug 12, 2011
Nope. I totally disagree. I've had a hate/love relationship with this show and I think this is the best season yet. There's finally humor in the characters, the side stories are starting to make sense and FINALLY they're doing some justice to my favorite book. Also, the characters are being written better IMO. I'm also starting to thaw toward Bill who I have loathed for 3 seasons. I love what they've done to Eric and I'm enjoying his story with Sookie. It will make his relationship with her all the more interesting when he gets his memory back. The two of them are burning up the screen. They're smoking hot together. All of my friends and I are over the moon about the season. It's ironic you say the show is losing it's sizzle when the ratings are up!
Aug 12, 2011
I agree, I'm getting kind of... bored. There's just too much uninteresting stuff going on, and good Eric isnt half as interesting as normal Eric!
Aug 12, 2011
I'm really enjoying the show this season, and it's the first season I've actually had someone at work to talk about the show with. Most people I know in real life have no idea what this show is. Sadly the people I work with are mostly into soaps and reality TV. Makes for a lonely work place for me when I want to talk about cool television.
Aug 12, 2011
I never thought the show was anything more than summertime over the top fun, to pass the time till fall. But the quality has gone down a little, like most shows of this type. Hard to get more over the top, when you started already there.
Aug 12, 2011
I've been pretty disappointed with this season, as I thought it would be the best one yet. Still good news about the fifth season being official. I still have hope that the show will get better.
Nice!!!
Aug 12, 2011
Season two was the best by far, and season three dropped the ball..... Except for Russell Eddington. However,, this season seems to be picking things up and moving towards the correct direction! Lately, it has been a hit in my house:)
yupiiii