True Blood Season 6 Has a Premiere Date and a New Trailer Featuring Bloody Billith and Shirtless Alcide (VIDEO)

Here we go again! HBO has announced a premiere date for the sixth season of its you-think-it-can't-get-any-more-ridiculous-but-then-all-of-a-sudden-Bill-is-a-naked-bloody-ghost-god vampire saga, True Blood, and released some brand-new footage to go with it. The show will return on Sunday, June 16 at 9pm, and from the looks of this promo, Season 6 will pick up exactly where Season 5 left off:

So... Bill(ith) is looking as bloody as ever; is he the new Big Bad? And what's with Eric's dopey new getup? And why is Pam trying to slap Tara—shouldn't they still be making out? And what's Alcide going on about? And what's the deal with that bearded dude in the hat who appears as the voiceover warns that "the tyrant is rising—it is the beginning of the end"?

Any and all speculation is welcome in the comments.

What are you hoping to see in True Blood Season 6? How do you think the show will fare in its first season without Alan Ball as showrunner?

I really hope they don't feel the need to keep ramping up the action like this. Just let things go back to normal a little, so the original story's merits can shine through. I also hope they get some better cgi effects, because the "image" of warlo scaring sooky in her bathroom looked like it could have been made in the 80's. This "you're running out of fairy light" thing is lame too. I almost liked it better when she was more defenseless, with only her telepathy and odd chain throwing ability. I think that made it more interesting.
I agree I enjoyed last season might not of been the best but still good don't mind the odd side story as long as there is not to many. I know they have a way of fitting a lot in to an episode which is good but only 10 episodes this season so no messing about please keep it real love this show to bits and would hate for it to go down hill
I'm just looking forward to see how things change/don't change with the new show runners. They definitely have me as a viewer through at least half of season 6, to see how both the new show runners do. If the show still takes tons of time away from the main people and gives it to fairy-orgasm births, smoke monsters, and new soon-to-be-dead side characters the way it did in season 5, I think I'll have to move on from the show. I just need to see enough of the main people and their stories, and I'll be good. Plus, I hope they find a way to make Billith not be as dumb as he/it unfortunately looks, but here's hoping.
The only reason I’m even giving this stupid show another chance is because (1) Alan Ball is gone, and (2) I still love Eric so much. Otherwise, I would never watch this garbage again. Also, the writers better not bore me with their Bill BS this season. He’s the worst character. Just kill him off instead of having him run around looking like a used tampon. Yuck!
Why did I find Sookie falling into a pile of vampire goo so hilarious? On a serious note they really need to step up their game with season 6. I think the problem is they chose things from the book, dragged them out for too long and then created their own plots from them. We need to simplify it and go old school True Blood. Also Eric and Sookie getting stuck in the lift. Eric you can fly. Break the ceiling, pick up Sookie and fly up the elevator shaft
I am really looking forward to this. True blood may not always be good by any measure, but it always entertains. I need more ridiulous fun in my life.
Oh wow, and not in a good way. This show was once the highlight of my tv calendar year. I still haven't figured out how they have messed it up so much. I know people say 'stop watching if you don't like it' but I have to watch it in the hope that it could be great again. I loved Eric in the first two seasons, he was such a bad boy with that you know you want me attitude and he was right. Now I wouldn't go near with a barge pole. And I am truly disappointed about this. I was never a Bill fan, but this jump to Billith is just so outside what this character always represented, he was the good guy vamp who wanted peace with humans. I don't know how his character made such a jump? I can't bring myself to discuss the fairies.
I will watch it, as I said, with a childish hope that it will return to it's former glory. Or maybe it's car crash tv at this stage, I just can't look away when I know I should.
Bill was never good. He was faking. If you fell for it. You were duped. It’s like that in the books too.

Eric is sexy all the time.
I'm not a fan of Sookie love triangle I mean after a few season it's boring. I like Eric and Pam as characters and please give Alcide a mirror so he will figure out how hot he is...
Jen Trolio, no offense, but if you hate True Blood or find it too ridiculous then don't watch it. It's as simple as that.
....Um, not quite so simple if you want to be a TV reviewer/reporter. Sometimes you have to watch things not our individual tastes.
They can always assign someone else to write about it, who actually appreciates the show. Or, the writer can actually be objective.
I never understood people who hate a show and need to post about it. If you hate it so much now, just STOP watching!! There are plenty of shows I hate, and you know what? I DON'T watch them. Life is too short to worry about crap you don't like anymore.
i expect it to be its last season
unfortunately its not. there is a 7th season. and a promise its a finale....
True Blood has been ridiculous since the very beginning. You guys seriously thought it would be toned down as the seasons went on? Yeah, last year was uneven, but I'm still having a lot of fun with the series and all of its wacky characters. I do, however, hope this "Bill(ith)" storyline is resolved soon.
hopefully by "the beginning of the end" they mean the show will be over soon.. it jumped the shark 2 seasons ago. Last season was boring and the one before was just plain bad. The book series has been so dynamic and full of excitement and the show started off that way as well even though it was different. They were both good in their own ways and then only the books were. So sad but maybe it will end on a good note. That goes for the book series, too, because the last book comes out in May.
Really, because I've heard the last few books have been pretty bad too.
I agree that they've gotten less awesome but they were still good. also, the last book was really good. I'm really looking forward to the last one... and sad of course. no more Sookie!
I just want them to bring Quinn in, sick of most of the characters/ storylines at the moment.
Whenever I read the books I picture Eric Balfour as Quinn.. what do you think? I know he's on Haven so they'd pick someone else.
I used to LOVE this show, but the writing has gotten so bad lately it doesn't even make me excited its coming back...I just don't get how it got so shitty. They have completely stopped using the books as references anymore. It has become one of those D-list horror movies that go straight to video, makes me sad. But I'm no quitter so I must stick with this til the end -_-
That's a good way of putting it. It is like a horror movie series that keeps popping out bad sequels for no reason isn't it? It got shitty because of Alan Ball's schizophrenic, ADD approach to storytelling and not to mention his piss poor treatment of Charlaine Harris.
Yeah I agree haha its just weird now..this whole "Billith" thing is fucked up ... like what?? Bill is "dead' but not dead :S so confusing I don't even know where to begin with the questions haha
This show lost my love 2 seasons ago. It reminds me so much of Days of Our Lives, its soo crap. I think I will just watch it to see how much more stupid it can get.
yeah, it's my birthday the 16th, what a great birthday gift:)
Bill just reminds me of Carrie in that trailer
it looks fantastic!
Usually I embrace weirdness and don't mind out of this world plots (normalness is kind of thrown out the window when you involve vampires anyway) but this show is just going too far. Not only has it jumped the shark but it turned around and did it again a few times. Honestly it's becoming more like a day time soap than an HBO show. I'm not usually the kind of person that would say this but they really need to cancel this train wreck.
Yeah, that hack Alan Ball apparently thought getting more ridiculous and nonsensical every season was the way to go. Fuck him. People are probably more embarrassed to admit they are a fan of True Blood than Glee at this point.
NOt embarrassed one bit... the last season was probably its best in my opinion.
Used to love this show so much. Now I finally don't care. Oh well!
We all used to love it. Turns out the smart fans ended up being the ones that quit after the third season.
Uh huh uh huh... you're smarter. Sure. Grow up.
Obviously I'm not too smart since I didn't quit after the third season, and you're obviously even less smart for being unable to interpret my comment.
When are Alcide/Sookie gonna actually happen?
Warlo/that Undertaker guy reminds me of Captain Blackbeard from Pirates of the Caribbean.
Also, that facial expression makes Alcide look like a creeper.
Yeah... pretty sure the tyrant they were talking about was Bill. No offense to Warlo (cuz that was Warlo in that Undertaker getup, wasn't it?), but, as powerful as he may be... he ain't as powerful as a damn blood god.
While this trailer does make the season look interesting, im not sure if I wanna return for season 6 this show pissed me off way too much last season.
So the bearded dude is the vampire who killed Sookie's parents... waldo or whatever he was called? This trailer... I have never been less excited for a show. And I used to love True Blood!
Warlow?
For the past few seasons, I always give the usual "this looks so much more promising than last season" when the new trailer comes out, but I'm not falling for it this time. Since that misogynistic fuck Alan Ball is gone, it at least has that going for it, since the show would've gained nothing by keeping him around anymore. But I think the slightly more talented Ryan Murphy has ran it into the ground too much to make any kind of recovery, and the writers won't know what to do with it. Also, the new showrunner Ball chose was replaced after three episodes by a new one, so it also has that problem if it is one. I will still watch because I still love a few of the characters, but I don't know how long.
I am a little confused by your post. Ryan Murphy is the creator of Glee and American Horror Story. He has nothing to do with True Blood. Alan Ball was True Blood's creator and showrunner until last year, when he stepped down. I have no idea if the show's quality will increase or decrease due to his leaving.

Ball had his faults, but misogyny wasn't one of them. He's a bit twisted (watch his previous series, set in a funeral home) and he likes to troll the fans, but Ball doesn't seem to have any particular animus toward women.

He chose to adapt a book series BY a woman, whose protagonist is female, for goodness' sake! He made changes in adapting the book series to the screen, but I don't think it's because he's a misogynist who hates female authors or characters. The book series was written in limited first-person POV--we're stuck in Sookie's head 24/7, 365. There's no way to translate that to the screen without scads of voice-over narration. It would also severely limit the story if we never saw anything that Sookie didn't.

Being stuck in Sookie's head does make her look smarter than she really is. I reread the first book last year (yes, I am a long-time book fan who started the series when it was first published, long before True Blood), after seeing True Blood, and was amazed at how different Sookie's behavior IN THE BOOKS looks from the outside. I kept saying, no, don't do that, don't run off sobbing again, AARGH. Sookie only appears to be a crime-solving genius in the books because we don't know any better. The show lets us see how Sookie looks to other people, and sometimes that view isn't flattering.

The other big reason for changing the story is that the books started to go downhill after book 4. While I like the later books, they aren't nearly as riveting as the first four. Harris frittered away a lot of the dramatic tension from book 5 on by stretching the stories out. How long have we waited for resolution on the fricking fairy storyline, for example? Five books now? How long has Bill been lurking in the shadows, not doing anything important but not going away, either? Six books and counting. While the series started strong, the later books have been charming and folksy, but not particularly exciting.

How do you make good TV out of that? Particularly when people expect shocking twists out of you? Well, you don't, which is why we are seeing so many changes. Boring Bill, friendzoned for 7 books, gets to finally be a villain instead of a wishy-washy ex-BF. The needlessly complicated explanation for why Sookie is a telepath--gone. The demons and elves of the later books (like we needed more supes)--gone as well.

Look, for people who loved the later books, who desperately wanted to see Quinn and Amelia and Mr. Cataliedes, I'm sure the show IS a disappointment. But for book readers who were a bit bored with how the series changed (like me), True Blood has been an incredible surprise. We get to spend more time in Harris's fascinating world, with the interesting characters she created, yet it's more exciting, more tightly plotted, and just generally more satisfying than what she actually wrote. I don't love every plotline, but I've been pleasantly surprised by 80% of the changes.

Billith and Warlow actually give me hope that this improvement on the book plots will continue. I already complained about how long it's taken Harris to resolve the fairy plotline and Bill's role in the later books. It looks like the show will cover both in 1-2 seasons (not 5-8 books). Much more exciting! I am counting the days till June 16th!
More +
Alan Ball's style is very similar to Ryan Murphy, but I think Ball is a little more talented than Ryan Murphy. Hence, Ball is a slightly more talented version of Ryan Murphy. The problem I have with this show has to do with his approach to storytelling than his misogyny. Maybe misogyny is pushing it, but I'm not a fan of the way he portrays most women, especially Sookie. As far as the books go, I never read them, so I'm not the guy to be talking about that, so I'm going off what the fandom has been saying about that, and the majority of them don't seem to like the way Ball adapted the books.
This comment has been removed.
Don't Agree with Jen Trolio. True Blood is excellent every season, love it
Nope, it isn't
wake up, True Blood is the Bomb
Well, seeing as Alan Ball ruined the show, I'm hoping that it will turn out better than the last few seasons. It's a shame really. The only good seasons were 1 and 2, everything else after that has been a complete and total mess. There was no vampire GOD nor a realigious group worshiping Lilith in the books and I honestly have no idea what are they going to do with this Lilith mess storyline they created. I wish Bill actually died and was not "reborn".....that way they could have moved on...

I don't even know if I want to watch the show anymore. The trailer does not make me happy. :(
For a show that has gotten pretty crazy, I do really still quite enjoy "True Blood". As for what's coming next? I have no idea. This show has long since gotten to the point that "loosely based on the books" means that they will try to find the names of one or two characters from the books and have characters on the show being named that and that's it. Either way, I am looking forward to it.
I was wondering if Bill turned into a 'vampire God' in the books.

I'm guessing that the answer is 'no'
Nope. Not even close.
This is awesome!!! I love true blood. I know alot of people dislike certain parts or even season sbut for me true blood is divine! So the questions: Well the tyrant could be Warlow. But then there are two big bad's this season , Warlow and Billith. I don't think Pam is trying to slap Tara, i think Tara is stopping Pam from slapping someone else.