True Blood: The Humans Are Coming Out on Top

If you own a TV, it is pretty much guaranteed that you are eventually going to have a conversation about True Blood. Even people who don’t watch True Blood seem to have an opinion about it, and trying to defend or explain this season to the uninitiated can feel like showing up to court in a Halloween costume. You’re out of context, you’re defensive, and you’re yelling about vampires. It's only Episode 4, but there are Uncle-Daddies, faeries, shapeshifters, witches, were-panthers, werewolves, and V-addicts. They all have different edges on each other like in rock-paper-scissors, they’re all evolving and intermingling, but somehow humans seem to be the ones moving up the food chain.

We now know that faery blood allows vampires to walk during the daytime, illustrated for us by a gloriously sun-kist Eric frolicking in a swamp. We also know that Sookie’s faerie blood attracts Eric, but the fact that he is able to resist slurping her up like a Capri Sun has everything to do with the emotional hold she has over him as a human. Like a five-year-old, Amnesiac Eric vacillates between mischievousness and disarming emotional clarity. He melted my heart when he told Sookie he’d never hurt her, and he clinched the “Only Human On the Inside” award last night when he discussed how much it hurts to leave/stay in the sunlight.

We know also that Sookie’s faery blood attracts Bill, but that's not what kept him from searching her house. In a milestone moment, Sookie lied to Bill to save Eric, making it clear that if he searched the house she’d feel he no longer trusted her. No other authority or power could have saved Eric from King Bill now that Sookie can’t rescind his invitation. It was only her shrewd human wits and emotional mastery that kept Bill from knocking over her armoire and rooting through her underwear drawers.

Also, if faery blood is so attractive, why don’t vampires trail Jason? Why isn’t he able to zap the homely women of Hotshot off his crotch with a burst of purple lightning like Sookie would? After getting humped almost to death, Jason was found by Jessica and Hoyt, and Jessica fed him her blood. Jason’s a recovered V-addict; this should either revive that addiction, or he should start fantasizing about Jessica. Will this lead to an epic love triangle between Hoyt, Jason, and Jessica? Because that would make the agony of watching all that Hotshot nonsense almost worth it. Will Jason wear a shirt this season? Just kidding, he won’t. We all know Jason, Eric, and Alcide are engaged in a Bow-Flex Abs Battle Royale, and it's a battle my eyeballs are winning.

Marnie, meanwhile, is clearly the villain of the season, and she’s also a human. Whatever spirit she’s channeling, it's clear her coven is a bunch of crafty moms and retired baristas. Marnie may be channeling a more powerful spirit, but she’s also exactly that one lady down my street who teaches DIY gynecology at the library and makes her own compost. It's actually a brilliant story move, because while Real Marnie is an endearing doofus Wiccan, Sorceress Marnie is buying us more Eric and Sookie time. (Pam demanded Eric back from Sorceress Marnie and got her face DECOMPOSED.)

Humans are also trouncing shifters. When Tommy was captured with a chain, why didn’t he just shift into an animal with a smaller head and scoot off? He was out in the woods and has the ability to morph into an ant or mosquito. Yet an old human man, who cannot shift, but who can crouch in the bushes and lurk around waiting for the appropriate level of dramatic irony in the conversation, totally jumped Tommy. And arguably the most genuinely bone-chilling figure on the show is Arlene’s human evil baby. Who may be able to write, which would make him an human evil genius baby. Or maybe Arlene reached over in her sleep with her foot, grabbed the marker with her toes and wrote on the wall. I won an essay contest that way, once.

We’ve got humans addicted to vampires, vampires addicted to faeries, Jason with panther scat about to be activated by a full moon, dysfunctional humans—it's a full board of Chinese Checkers and I’m not sure anyone’s read the rules. And yet Sunday’s episode was maybe the most enjoyable of the season, and not just because Mona from Who’s the Boss showed up.

The next time someone asks me what True Blood is about, I’m going to simply say: True Blood is about the undeniable humanity of monsters and the monstrous side of humanity. (And ABS. Am I right, LADIES?!)

Questions:

… Can you get abs like Alcide’s by lifting a trash bag full of water over your head, or do you have to buy proper hand weights?

… Jason-Hoyt-Jessica love triangle: hot or REALLY hot?

… Are they going to write Tommy out of the show, or do I just have to fast-forward through his screen time on the TiVo?

… Who would you rather spend an evening with: Normal Eric or Amnesiac Eric?

Sookie and amnesiac Eric need a spin off - i love it!
I prefer book amnesiac eric. TB amnesiac eric is too childish....
Amnesiac!Eric is cute and reminds me most of a big, fluffy puppy. Or perhaps a wolfcub.

But I do miss the snarktastic, kickass Eric of old, and hope we get him back - WITH his memories of "Snookietime" intact. That should make for a good startingpoint for an epic Sookie/Eric romance. :D
CANNOT WAIT FOR THE Halloween Episode!
great episode, i didnt even consider the jason-jessica-hoyt triangle until now and i like it. i hope they go that way.

cant wait til next week, eric and sookie were so sweet in this episode....damn bill had to be a cockblock!!
Way too many storylines going on. I'm enjoying the drama with the witches and vampires. I don't even mind the Jason storyline because I like his character. But Sam's storyline, Tommy and Maxine and especially Arlene's baby are boring me to tears. Hopefully they'll become more interesting as the season progresses.
Great episode, and its funny how the Law of Nature can change! I hope Jason's story line continues going with Crystal and the Were Panthers because its so fun and interesting to watch. I can't wait to see what or who is behind evil baby or that doll. I was surprised Sookie still had hold over Bill. Can't wait for the next episode!!!!!!!
(SPOILERS) youre correct about the Jason/Jessica/Hoyt stuff. Atleast says Ausiello from E. Which I'm okay with...Jessica and Jason is a good idea
But this episode was great. Glad that Jason got the hell away from that Crystal/group of inbred Panthers. Such a tiresome storyline. I hope Sookie and Eric/Bill get more screentime. Along with Tara Jesus and Lafayette. Sam is ok. I feel bad for Tommy now I guess..whether or not he was greedy with whats her name\'s natural gas situation...he doesn\'t deserve whats happening to him now.
oh as for Arlene's plot, let's remember this is True blood so either the baby is evil possibly possesed or or at least tainted by the spirit of his evil dead father Rene which i think could be true, but how about this remember at the end of last season when Lafayette was first starting to have his now non dormant wiccan visons, when he was looking at arlene in one scene he "sees" Rene who says "She can't be rid of me i am in her right now" or something along those lines. what if it is Arlene who is being posessed by Rene's spirit? and she only thinks it's the baby . i mean so far only she has seen the weirdness, the writing on the wall happened when terry was in another room with Arlene suppsedly asleep. all we saw was a close up of the marker being used not who was holding it. it's entirely possible that a Rene possesed Arlene in Twin Peaks, sorry True Blood fashion got up from the couch and got back on it quickly and quietly enough for Terry not to see and not wake the kids. think about it
ok people Jessica just gave jason her blood, he did not not declare his love for her! yes we know that when a human drinks a vampire's blood they can become sexually attracted or at the very least have sex dreams about said vamp. but i don't even recall jason ever being in the same room as jessica let alone the same scene so why is everybody assuming he is already in love with her. yeah he will probably have a scene or two of the "side effects" but it seems like they are setting up jason for a much larger and completely seperate story arc less likely about a love triangle and more likely about his transformation, crazy crystal, the possibility of being this "ghost daddy" which leads to something even worse being the father to god knows how many kids from how many women who who came in while he was tied up and, well i don't need to finish that sentence. i mean Sookie may have some feelings towards before eric but they were only because of the "side effects" I mean she really only had the one or two sex dreams about him at the end of season 2 but that was just after drinking his blood and she was never really in love with him. i mean hell even sam had the one dream about bill at the beginning of season 3 but that was a "side effect' ypu don't see sam pining for bill so whether you want it to happen or not let's not assume that jason is in love with jessica. like i said they might make him have a dream about her or maybe because of the were-panther transformation it won't happen at all.
"We all know Jason, Eric, and Alcide are engaged in a Bow-Flex Abs Battle Royale, and it's a battle my eyeballs are winning." I rolled. And yes, you're so right about the abs xD.
I have a feeling that the only reason to keep Tommy's storyline going is so that Sam's new shifter girlfriend can kill him and assume his shape. Now *THAT* would really screw Sam's brain, right? Gettin' snuggly with Janina Gavankar but then whoosh, it's your brother!
ladies are getting their bare-chested men...but the guys who watch are severely lacking the bare-chested females...come ont TB, boobs please? haha
NO don't drop Tommy's storyline, otherwise how could you take a pee break or go get something to eat from the fridge? ps. Normal Eric
hey, let's not forget about the guys who are enjoying these abs as well...
Amnesiac Eric is so much cuter than normal Eric! And yes they should kill some sub-plots like Tommy's and Sam's and focus on witches vs vampires!
ABs???? Come on Sparky, admit it. Your eyes(just like Sookie's)were slightly SOUTH of the AB line!!! LMAO
Firstly, I think its going to become clear it isn't the baby that is doing that, but the DOLL that mysteriously came back from being tossed out, and the poor baby is taking the fall for it. As for who I'd rather spend an evening with- as a hetero guy, I'd choose amnesiac Eric, as he seems rather the cool viking Eiric type and normal Eiric... well, he's just a jerk. I think we're stuck with Tommy - I imagine they're planning to take him through a journey similar to his brothers, but I too am not all that attached to him. As for Jessica and love triangle- I'm rather dissapointed they have to keep doing that. Jessica and Hoyt, finally together, why can't they let us enjoy their romance some instead of suddenly zapping them into 'housewife/husband' mode, skipping the best parts of their relationship?!?! To me, it's a real letdown, and I don't like where they've taken it and how they are setting it up to just continue to be unsatisfying. I've grown to like Jason, BUT I still like Hoyt a lot more and think they could have gone other directions: but, they want drama and they want to keep us hooked, so they're not choosing those directions. I'm more interested in Jason being involved with Panther-girl, and I'm dissapointed at his sudden, magical lack of his previous infatuation with her. He seemed a GREAT deal more committed before. I'm also wondering- and am I the only one- one of the ways vampire are made is by bringing humans near to the point of death, and then they drink vampire blood. So... Jason is near death... or does he have to be drained also? Maybe so.
I guess you have to buy proper hand weights for Alcide's abs.. Not sure if I would like or dislike a Jason-Hoyt-Jessica love triangle or even consider it hot or REALLY hot. I guess I would have to see a hint of it first to decide.. Keep fast-forwarding past Tommy, that's what I do. Don't think they are gonna get rid of him. They had the nerve to bring back the mom and dad in this episode.. Bad sign.... That's a cruel choice since I'm LOVING AMNESIAC Eric right now, but I love normal Eric also. It's so hard!!!!! Okay, I'll pull myself together now. Since I know where Eric goes from here, I'll choose NORMAL ERIC.... :) Yes, definitely.
Maybe Tommy couldn't shift because the chain was silver? Or is he just that stupid? Jasons rape-scenes were traumatizing. I hope they deal with it in the next episode, it seems unlikely Jason would be over it the next morning.
I don't agree with the whole "They can rape him because he's a guy"-thing about Jason. Tara was raperd in the past season, repeatedly, and I found the two things equally disturbing.

And I think that Jason didn't inherit the Fae-traits of his family. They already told us that most of the Stackhouses aren't special, and it's perfectly in line with how genes are passed down.

And... Normal Erik :)
Normal Eric! :))
i kinda like the other minor plots, this love crap needs to be capped
i would just like to say im in love with this show!! and ill take the normal eric for 200 :) :) i want a sexy shirtless viking!!! know any??
loved seeing Katherine Helmond. Surprised to see above the inset from Who's the Boss since her most famous role was Jessica Tate in Soap. Back in '82 when the hype was "Who shot JR?", there were many wondering more about her fate in a coma.
I don't think the baby is evil at all, I think it's all the doll. That doll is is hella -creepy. Arlene is just paranoid.
For the love of everything holy PLEASE drop Tommy, his mom and his dad's storylines off a cliff. While we're at it, let's just get rid of all of Hotshot. While Tommy and his parents are not in the books their story is AWFUL. Now the Hotshot panthers are in the book but they have completely turned them into a bunch of hills have eyes backwood weirdos. I'm all for new things and new directions but only when they are GOOD and NECESSARY!
I had some serious lol's at the almost nude fight/banter between Alcide and Eric at the pond.
The episode was good. I dont really care for sam,tommy or tara(toni). I seriously hope one of them dies by the end of this season. On another note. Somehow i think i would have been more disturbed about the whole "Group rape" scene, if it was a woman instead of a man. But jason beein raped was kinda... meh...
I loved drunk Eric so funny and so happy we are finally done with the whole kidnapping Jason storyline.
As far as I understood it, the shifters can t shift unless they are naked.Every single one of them gets naked before they transform into their respective animal.

That s why Tommy couldn t shift.

This episode was sooo hilarious but I would appreciate it if they were killing Tara.

She s the same annoying,snooping around in everybody`s business b*tch as before, only she feels sooo powerful with her little gun.That won t last long.

Sam`s storyline is becoming even more boring than before.Thy gotta change the character.Right now he s just whining and appears kinda creepy and a bit pathetic.

Man up!

Oh and I thought that being a fairy isn t something that is given from each generation to the other, it s like body features- one sister got it, the other doesn t.

Like Crystal can only breed cubs with another uhm panther and not with a human.

I loved Pam and Bill`s little dialogue.As well as the Sookie and Eric-story.Alcide as well.

Brilliant writers!
Kill Tommy, give Sam a decent storyline and kill that woman Bill has been having sex with. Didn't like her on Dexter, hate her on True Blood. Also, Arlene's baby is cheesy and ridiculous and finally, kill Crystal and say goodbye to the panther storyline thing.
Why is everyone hating on Tommy. I like his storyline.
mmmm i do love those abs :)
please kill Tommy, that is all
I have to admit, at the moment when Sookie and Eric were only a breath away from kissing, I squealed like a schoolgirl, realizing my fingers were actually crossed. :D
Cudos for the more Eric/Sookie screen time in this episode, much better than the last one...yet I am getting greedy, and if I had to choose, I'd cut out each and every nonsense Tommy scene, especially now that the two trashes *coughs* parents of his are back.
As for Marnie - I didn't like her as Aunt Petunia in Harry Potter, I like her no better in True Blood. She's just...how do I put it? Unconvincing.
alcide is the man, love the guy, soooo much cooler than bill, or any of teh fangers
1. I absolutely love Alcide. My heart is a tug of war between Alcide and Eric and I must say, whatever they're doing, they must keep at it, cos true blood is definitely about abs. (yes, you're right, Lily).
2. A Jason, Hoyt, Jessica (Jashoyca?!) love triangle would burst my bubble. There's no Jessica - Jason chemistry and the best-friend betrayal factor is definitely not such a step up from the Hot Shot shenanigans. I do hope, however, that the show ******** book spoiler alert ****************************** decides do make Jason shift into a full were-panther, rather than that half-breed human/were thing Charlaine Harris had going on in the books... so unsexy, and lets face it, Jason's fairy blood manifests as hot damn sexy. ********** end spoiler************************************************************
3. Actually, I think Tommy's character is important for Sam's arc... I just wish someone would man Sam up and have him deal with Tommy already. Really, I don't care what happens to Tommy, just make Sam a better character, please? Right now I'm so not interested in all the shifter-love. You can't have Sam rip out Marianne's heart with his bare hands one season and make him emotional pudding the next; its not fair to him, to the shifter he wants to date, to the chaos that's been put in his life and needs to be dealt with, and, mostly, to me. I liked Sam.
and 4. Any Eric is fine. I actually want to be Sookie sometimes just so I can experience both. But I like book-Erics better, though.
1. Eric is Perfect amnesia or not :)
2. Alcide is gorgeous!!! Debbie should get lost!
3. Why don't they get rid of Tommy already...He is sooo unnecessary!
4. Also get rid of EVERYONE in Hotshot
5. Don't the shows writers/producers EVER read what fans write????
There is a reason I don't watch TB with my boyfriend. Hurrah for the abs!
For the love of God, get rid of Tommy! Sam is fine just as a bar-owner. His story as a shapeshifter is enormously boring. I'd prefer any Eric any time. I guess Alcide has better abs (if you are a fan of those things in a man), but Eric wins for character, charisma and being incredibly hot.
1) alcide is some kind of fine! i dont care what he does to his body because it seems to work(:
2) i really hope Jason isn't gonna fall in love with Jessica...he REALLY needs to be alone for a while
3) Seriously!!!!! i CANT STAND Tommy..he's sooooo irrelevant 4) Amnesiac Eric because he's more vulnerable and open about his feelings..not to mention ADOR-ABLE xD