TV.com Commenter Shout-Outs: Your Recent Thoughts on the Glee Movie, Breaking Bad, and True Blood

Greetings, friends, and welcome back to another fun-filled edition of TV.com Commenter Shout-Outs—the one time of the week during which our readers get top-billing. This week, you guys vented about the big-screen version of Glee, cheered about Breaking Bad, and noodled over True Blood. And we were listening!

The Glee movie—or “3D Concert Movie,” as it was billed in multiplexes—was a turkey, not even managing to find a place in the Top 10 new releases. Was this just an aberration, we asked, or does it point toward a bleak future for Gleeks?

beowulf579 had a sound, outsider’s analysis of where things might have gone awry:

Speaking as a non-Glee person (never watched the show ever) I can tell you what went wrong. I didn't even know there was a movie coming out. When you are taking a franchise to the next level (as in movies), there should be such a buzz that even non-fans will know it's out there. But there was none of that with this.

The other factor missing is that it sounds like there were no "real" stars. The only time I hear about Glee is when Britney Spears is going to be on or that some specific band's music is going to be featured. If there was anything like that [in the movie]... again, I never heard about it. This is why the movie failed, but making up half of your investment in the first weekend isn't all that bad.

For a Gleek perspective, we turn to bmshull:

I love Glee, so naturally I went to see the movie. I felt the movie was a complete letdown. I thought the movie would be like the Hannah Montana concert movie that I went to see with my little sister, the entire concert with some behind-the-scenes footage. What I got was a few clips of the concert woven through fan commentary. I am a fan of Glee. I know what it means to the fans. I don't need to hear from people how much of an impact it has. I just felt that, had I wanted to know what the fans think, I could have logged on to any fan site and learned the same things I did while watching what I thought was going to be a recorded version of the concert.

Finnegan77 saw a creative team who’d lost their way:

The movie failed because [Ryan] Murphy and his band of merry men started to believe all of their own hype and forgot why people watch their show. People watch for the entertainment value, not to see heart-wrenching, "true-ish" high school stories. They watch to see what idiocy the Lima Losers are going to get into next, for their mistakes and oddly quirky and tangled interrelationships. The songs further the stories of these kids, and that's why they work.

Unfortunately, Murphy et al have decided that their fans are all high school kids (I'm suuuuure not, since I watched the demographics of the moviegoers in our town, and saw more 40-something couples than anyone else) who want to see less of their favorite characters and more of three unknown teens. What is this guy smoking?

No skits, no explanations for why the numbers were chosen or why they were put in their particular order. No Tina, no Sue, no Mr. Shue. Why was fan-favorite [Chris] Colfer barely seen (notice the intentional framing of Lea [Michele] ONLY in close-up during their duet?) and only heard once, why was the young gay man's story of Kurt's inspiration sandwiched between numbers by Amber and Darren?

This "film" did nothing for the franchise except give the impression it's out of gas.

Finally, DavidJackson8 was disappointed by the movie’s poor word-of-mouth:

I didn't know there was a Glee movie. Had I known, I'd have intentionally not gone and seen it.

The news that AMC ordered sixteen final episodes of Breaking Bad came as a huge relief in a week where stories swirled that the network was too cash-poor to properly support its non-Mad Men series.

Geertvdheide sees five seasons as the perfect length for a show like this:

Good to read there's more fans in these comments who are happy with this news, like I am. Good shows end on their own terms. The worst possible situation for writing a TV show is having the chance of it being canceled at any time. That makes it impossible to lay down effective story arcs. Breaking Bad wasn't supposed to be an indefinitely extendable show like The Simpsons or Law & Order. It needs to end, and I'm confident now that it will end well. Besides, five seasons is quite a lot for a show of such rare quality. If only Firefly and Carnivale got this many episodes! But at least some shows get the chance. I'm happy :)

MikeMuller1 has already plotted out the finale for Vince Gilligan and his crew. No charge!

Well, so how will it end? I'd go for the bad ending: Walter Jr. becomes addicted to blue meth now that they have the money, Hank recovers and goes after everyone, starting with Gus (which leads to Walter and Jesse becoming the drug kingpins for a short time). When Hank realizes that Walter is the genius cook he sets him up for a trap. Jesse is killed, Walter goes to jail. Skyler as well for accessory to murder, the baby goes to Hank and Marie. Walter Jr. is seen roaming the streets and buying meth from Badger. Final scene is Walter White in prison, with a doctor telling him that the cancer is back and he has two weeks left to live. The end!

'Cause after what has happened over the years I'd be disappointed if the [final] message would be that crime pays. He should [end up] in a situation where everything is worse than when he first started to break bad.

Finally, our True Blood commentary by screen-grabber extraordinaire Lily Sparks inspired some lively discussion.

TimeSpiraling is finding it difficult to suspend disbelief:

The show is good, but my goodness, the whole Eric/Sookie thing is a little ridiculous. The spell cast on him just feels very ambiguous, and too malleable as an all-purpose story-telling device to create tension between Sookie, Bill, and Eric.

Even though we're starting to learn more about the chivalrous Eric, I still do not actually care about that person because I don't believe he is real. He is too 'shiny.' So, am I supposed to believe that Antonia cast a spell that turned the most powerful vampire around into a trustworthy servant of his vampire king? Weird ...

As much as we all hate Tommy, I must point out what a fantastic character he is. He is flawed, real, rigid, and he is able to elicit real emotions from the viewers. In this case we actually do not like his character. It's not that we think it is bad writing, or uninteresting, or that we don't like the storyline... we don't like him and that is good acting, and that is good storytelling.

Arch_Angel88 just wants to see two of the show’s more annoying characters (so hard to choose!) eliminated.

It seems I'm not the only one who wants Tara and Tommy to meet an (un)timely demise. I will be creating a fanclub site, www.TaraandTommyMustDie.com. Our goal is to reach 10,000 signatures on our online petition, which we will then send to Alan Ball and the writers of True Blood. With your help we just might get these horrendous characters killed off.

Acrobit, meanwhile, is just nostalgic for how things used to be around Bon Temps:

"Sookeh, Ah forbid it!" ...I miss that.

And that’s that. Another great week of feedback. We’ll see you here next Friday. In the meantime, keep watching, and keep talking!

Aug 23, 2011
Thanks for the nod, Seth.

Tara is arguably one of the best acting talents the show has to offer and the arc she's been given this season is a shame. I get that they essentially did a character "re-boot" this season with the whole 12-month time dilation fairy-world episode device, but they *butchered* Tara in this season. At least in the episode, "Run," you got to see a glimpse of the Tara we all love shining through.

Tommy is a fantastic character. If he is so dastardly, and underhanded, that the viewers can actually have a genuine emotional response - including hate - then they have created a robust character that they should really think twice about axing.
Aug 23, 2011
Tara is just irritating. Maryann, Franklin and now a witch and gotten her to make bad decisions. She's always being used and it's just irritating. I like Tommy a lot more now.
Aug 22, 2011
Screw you guys, I love Tara
Aug 21, 2011
Okay, I get why people are annoyed with Tommy as a character, I agree that he doesn't add much to the show. But Tara is one of my favorite characters, she may make a lot of bad decisions but her struggle is fascinating to watch. She's also one of the few characters on the show who isn't supernatural, and therefore feels more real and believable than most of the others. I like Tara. So I'm honestly curious, could anyone tell me why so many people hate her character? So far I've only heard people motivate it with "because she's a pointless character" which is obviously up for debate. What is it about her that you don't like?
Aug 21, 2011
I can't speak for others, but in my opinion it is the cyclical nature of her character. She seems to always end up right back where she started, pissed off and angry at the world for all the injustices the cosmos has inflicted upon her. At the beginning of this season we learned she had turned into a lesbian/kick-boxer, which seemed like a desperate attempt of the writers to "re-define" her character. Where is she now? Oh yeah, she has teamed up with a psychotically homicidal spirit intent on vampire genocide, and why has she done this you may ask? That's right, it's because she's pissed off and angry at the vampires for everything they've done to her. All I ask is that she either evolves as a character, or does us all the courtesy of getting killed off(Preferably by Pam).
Aug 21, 2011
I actually love Tommy and I don't know why! He's just so pathetic and he's had such a bad life, I just feel for him even though he keeps doing the dumbest most awful things! I still just want him to be happy xD Tarra on the other hand can just get out of town for real this time.
Aug 20, 2011
this seasons been full of craziness kinda hope the show dials it down for season 5

Aug 20, 2011
to Arch_Angel88: I am quite interested to see/hear if your petition really has some influence on a show like True Blood and especially someone like Alan Ball. Pesonnely I do not think he will even give it a shrug or cares about any of the opinions. But carefully watching your American tv shows now for many years I'm so amazed in how much power viewers have, so perhaps you'll get what you ask for anyway. I think you'll miss those two caracters in the end because people allways want something to complain about, right.
Aug 21, 2011
First of all, I'm Canadian, although sometimes it does feel like we're the 51st state. Lat week I caught myself saying huh, instead of eh, which is the equivalent of Canadian blasphemy. Secondly, my comment was not meant to be taken literally, it was a joke, a way for me to voice my displeasure about how incredibly annoying I find Tara and Tommy. I'm not actually creating a website, waaaaaay(that's how you do it torontogirl98) too much work, but if they were killed off, I wouldn't miss them for a second. I can always complain about foreign people who can't take a joke.
Aug 20, 2011
I totally want to see Tara and Tommy die, he just seems to be a useless screw up and incapable of change, while I absolutely loathe Tara she is the most annoying character in the world with no purpose but to show up and ruin every scene she is in. Oh and I am glad the Glee movie sucked because there is wayyyyyyy too much hype around a show that is basically glorified karaoke
Aug 20, 2011
Every time I turn around, someone is ragging on Tara's character. Every character has a role on the show (even sheriff Bellefleur is the tragic comic relief) and they do it well. Tara has been the only rational one this season though I wish she would have left town as soon as the battles began...that made the least amount of sense.
Aug 20, 2011
I'am a Gleek & went to see the movie last Friday. It was good but nothing special.
Aug 22, 2011
No it's not you are mistaken. It sucks balls.
skipped the 3d glee movie as well as reading the glee article part above
Aug 20, 2011
I really like Glee but the movie was disappointing. The 3D was almost non-existent as well.
Aug 20, 2011
I personally LOVED the Glee3D movie. Can't wait for the new Glee season Sept. 20th! :)
Aug 22, 2011
You are wrong and you couldn't have loved it. This movie sucks the big one.
Aug 20, 2011
Is it just me, or do others see two people whenever Fiona Shaw is on the screen. She is just TOO GOOD! I have trouble describing it, but whenever I see her character(s), I can see two at the same time. And let me tell you, when Jessica 'killed' Hoyt, I had to pause the show and reflect on what just happened. He and Jessica are my favorites. When I had it paused, it was on her bloodied face. I was preparing to hate that beautiful bloody face. Then she woke, and I was relieved. I nearly cried twice in that episode, because of the same two characters.
Aug 20, 2011
I'm a Glee fan and I thought the Glee concert movie was a money grab. I would have wanted to go to a Glee concert but not a movie of the concert. I also think that Glee isn't as big of a franchise that it seems to be. I think the producers are a bit deluded. Glee might be some kind of musical phenomenon in which it brings broadway to mainstream, but it is not a TV ratings phenomenon. I'm kinda happy yet disappointed at the same time that the movie flopped. Like I said, I am a Glee fan.

As for Breaking Bad. I kinda want Walt to get away with everything. But the starting a new identity or going to witness protection program is so CLICHE. I don't want him to like go to jail or die because that would really suck. I just hope the writers are more creative than me. >.<
Aug 22, 2011
Glee sucks in any way shape or form. Don't deny that.
Aug 20, 2011
I wish people would stop ragging on Tara and Tommy!
Aug 20, 2011
And I wish Tara and Tommy weren't so annoying, but we all can't get what we wish for.
Aug 20, 2011
Bad ending for Walter White isn't it? I want him to be the master of all. xD