TV.com Commenter Shout-Outs: Your Recent Thoughts on Breaking Bad's Baldies, Eureka's Demise, and TV.com's "We'll Watch It For You"

Can it be that another TV.com week has come and gone already? It can! It really can! So as is our custom, we will now pull out from our top drawer a sheet of gold star stickers purchased at a Spencer’s Gifts and affix them to the comments we've found particularly worthy. So sit back, relax, and enjoy another edition of TV.com Commenter Shout-Outs. (Unless your comment was chosen, in which case it’s perfectly acceptable to freak out.)

After reading Tim's review of Sunday’s new episode of Breaking Bad, reader wr8280 couldn’t help but notice that things have gotten follicularly challenged for our ragtag group of meth-making anti-heroes:

So is everyone on this show bald now? Walt, Jesse, Mike, Hank, Gus. I'm starting to think the writers hate guys with hair. Jesse was even shaving the heads of random meth-heads in the episode.

But joostin_cdn replied that the show was just holding up a highly reflective scalp to society:

Larry David would be proud of the equal opportunity lol. Plus it is realistic. 70 percent of men have Male Pattern Baldness. A show with more than 30 percent of the actors having a full head of hair is extremely unbelievable. Kudos to Gilligan.

News that SyFy had Eureka-teased its viewers by ordering a six-episode sixth season and then announcing the series will end after its fifth, rightly upset many of you, who now see a crappy reality show clearinghouse where once stood the home of some of the best scripted shows on TV.

John38111 feels it’s time to pack up and head out to settle another spot in the cable cosmos: one that actually caters to true fans of science fiction:

I think it's time for a NEW Sci-Fi channel. It's apparent SyFy isn't merely a name change but a direction change, as well. Wrestling may come under fiction and cooking may come under science but neither are *science fiction.* I find myself leaving the SyFy channel more often to search for a good old Sci Fi movie or series rerun and I shouldn't have to. I'm ready for a new Sci Fi channel that gets back to the basics.

pjamese3 is similarly disaffected:

Okay, at this point, SyFy should really do another name change. Maybe "The Reality/Wraslin' Channel."

They've canceled most of their good series. The only actual sci-fi still on the channel is Warehouse 13 (which is okay) and Alphas (which sucks). Then there's the laughable original movies (which are either the environment gone wild, murderous aliens, or overgrown animals—with their own shark jump of a shark jumping out of the water and pulling down a commercial jet.) Then you have the "reality" shows like the various ghost shows and the guy looking for lost relics that have been hunted for centuries, but don't worry, he'll find it in an hour-long show. And cooking shows? And let us not forget...wrestling.

Supposedly, SyFy will be starting a new series set in the BSG universe during the Cylon war, but really, after their not giving Caprica a chance, do you thing it will be a thought-provoking show like BSG and Caprica, or will it be just big 'splosions in space and random chicks?

SyFy has gone the route of MTV and is no longer interested in programing for it's initial fan base. If you want good sci-fi, watch BBC America.

Bummer! Let’s focus on something a little more fun—like Price Peterson’s hilariously great "We’ll Watch It For You" recaps of hilariously bad TV movies (much like the ones you might watch on SyFy). This week, poor Price sat through all of ABC Family’s Teen Spirit, which is the worst movie of all time. I don’t even have to fact-check that, I just know I’m right in my heart. Did you know it starred Tim Gunn as an evil, crack-addicted angel or something?

Anyway, here’s what you thought about Price’s picture-book/recap:

onlymystory was instantly reminded of a classic biblical tale about popular high school students and death:

Um, my favorite teen popularity story from the Bible is when popular teens teased a prophet and then bears attacked and ate them. That was fun.

Of course! I love that story. I once played the bear in my synagogue pageant.

Draconax wants “We’ll Watch It For You” to run five times a week:

God, this needs to become a near daily article. The captions kill me every time.

Good lord, we could never do that to Price! Once a week seems like more than any healthy human psyche could possibly take, and besides, it’s all that’s really required of him from his prison work-release program.

Well, that’s it for this week, everyone! Shout-Out recipients, enjoy your shiny stars. Everyone else—keep watching, and keep talking!

I am very happy with TV.com staff reporting the off-putting actions of SyFy execs. Who knows, maybe one of them is listening...
The problem isn't the channel itself but the owners (NBC) who has owned the channel since 2004.
It would seem that SyFy's reversal on a decision with respect to Eureka was insane but let's remember that we are talking about SyFy. It's almost comedic that they'd announce a final season pick-up and then announce cancellation prior to that within a week. I mean seriously. They have screwed over more than a few shows while at the same time wasting time and money on things that are ridiculous. On top of all the other stupid SyFy moves here is one that really annoyed me... Anyone remember a show called "Odyssey 5"? I honestly didn't know of its existence when it was on TV and that's because I didn't have Showtime back in 2002. It lasted one season, sadly, but it had so much potential. Nonetheless, SyFy began airing it on like Friday nights a few years back. Given that it only aired for 1 season for a total of 20 episodes they could burn through it pretty quick. 20 weeks and fill in a dead spot in the schedule? I mean that's why they began airing a show from 2002 in like 2009. Anyway, after 3 or maybe 4 Fridays they just stopped airing it without any explanation.. Done. No more Odyssey 5 episodes... ever. No logic there but we are talking about SyFy, right? I liked what I had seen so I shelled out and bought the show on DVD which is just pathetic that I had to. So, as far as I am concerned SyFy can rot. I don't care about their shows or any new programming they might throw out. I wasn't a huge fan of Eureka BUT I understood why people liked it and it had been on for awhile and was established. SyFy's actions are typical here. Now, on to AMC... where do I begin? I don't watch Breaking Bad but acknowledge it's a solid show. The Walking Dead? Sorry, the well ran dry on the whole zombie theme for me a long long time ago. I'm still angry that Rubicon was canceled. I had kind of gotten over my Rubicon anger until I saw the recent stuff about how the haggling over Mad Men lead to them wanting to shorten the final Breaking Bad season and cut the Walking Dead budget. I hope Breaking Bad moves to another network and, frankly, I hope Walking Dead tanks after cuts to the budget. AMC cut Rubicon which definitely couldn't have had a large budget considering the cast and the fact that a HUGE majority of the show was in the a single building so the set cost had to be low. Right now AMC is just throwing away respect earned from from these super shows that received accolades.
Airing and canceling an already cancelled show, now THATS the SyFy channel. :)
UGH!! I agree that the SyFy channel is changing for the worse. Really Wrestling......what is going on??? Caprica appeared to be a very expensive show, that just went everywhere. No focus....so it had to go. But SGU - what were they thinking? Progressively getting better.

Then turning three day weekends into Twilight Zone festivals. Anybody alive still that wants to watch these around the clock??? UGH!!
While I agree SyFy is hardly a sci-fi network anymore, the cancellation of Caprica was well deserved. If you are going to complain about something being canceled you should be talking about SGU, which didn't suck.
Uh...for the record, Alphas does not suck. Who does that guy think he is? Lol
whatever, pointless article, come on people, ingenuity
Ain't nothin' wrong with fostering a little bit community on your website.
In this age of fashionable meta-jokes, when is a comment about the Shout-Outs going to make it on the Shout-Outs?? Then we'd have a meta-comment!!
What about a comment on a comment about Shout-Outs?