TV.com Commenter Shout-Outs: Your Recent Thoughts on: The Walking Dead's Return, "Overrated" Shows, and Ringer

You’ve done it. You’ve made it through another week while loading up on as much delicious, sugary, high-in-trans-fats TV goodness as your body could handle. And as if that wasn’t reward enough, here’s the cherry on your TV sundae: this week's TV.com Commenter Shout-Outs!

The return of AMC's The Walking Dead left many of you wanting.

Laserwolf412 thinks the show is veering into B-movie territory:

Wow, I watched this thinking about how much worse the show seems to have become and yet I guess I'm in the minority here. It's still absolutely worth watching, but there were sooo many eye-roll moments in this episode that I was sure the internet would be at least somewhat negative. Someone already mentioned the wave of zombies that [the survivors] didn't see until they were pretty much on them. There was also the water truck parked immediately in front of the RV with the logo facing them. How did it take so long for someone to put two and two together? And then, when [Shane] does, he decides to take a shower because nine adults and two kids couldn't possibly drink all that water in their lifetime right? Apparently they were in no hurry to load the water into one of the vehicles in the event they had to leave quickly, and am I wrong in understanding that one of them felt uncomfortable stealing food and other supplies from the dead? Really?

Lastly, I really had a hard time with the opening speech on the walkie-talkie. It didn't sound natural at all, but rather as if he was reading from a letter he had already written.

In the end I enjoyed it, but it just bothers me that this felt a little more like a dime-a-dozen horror movie that chose cheap dramatics over common sense. All this does is make you dislike the characters and take away the suspense.

This week we asked a simple question: What critically adored shows can you just not seem to get into? Well! That unleashed a tidal wave of pent-up, prestige-TV-hating shame, with many of you admitting to not liking—and sometimes even hating—such wildly praised shows as Mad Men, Glee, Community, The Good Wife, and yes, even (gasp!) Game of Thrones.

MiaFacciata wrote:

Really? Everyone does this? I thought it was just me.

No, it’s not just you!

Big_Pecks added three more to our starter list:

Similarly, if you say you don't like Game of Thrones, Louie and Breaking Bad, you'll be ridiculed.

Never! (Well, maybe a little. At least by other commenters, but we have no control over that.)

HenryLeeLucas admitted the unthinkable—that Jon Stewart tries too hard to be funny:

The Daily Show. I've nothing against Jon, but he's just not funny. Maybe it's just not my type of humor, it's like he's trying too much in monologues, yells and stuff... (for the same reason I don't watch Conan, but I still like him "as a person"). On the other hand, I love Bill Maher, so it's not like I don't get political stuff.

Top Chef and Community I don't watch. And the rest is truly astonishing TV. The Good Wife is a bit soapy and cartoonish, but that's kinda the point of that show, I think.

whatever556 explained why Game of Thrones isn’t for him:

And Community fan mrfurious00 agreed that the show seems to be entering a period of too-experimental decline:

You know something, the only one I care about and (must) watch is Community, and I cannot help but agree with you—r friend, *ahem* your friend. In my opinion, this season so far has too heavily been focusing on "being a different comedy" if you will. I want more group inter-relationship humor! More plotline advances! Wasn't there supposed to be a mean Dean Goodman? Whatever the hell happened to that, where's he been?

The season is young! Mean Dean to come! (We hope.)

Finally, let’s check back in with trooper Louis Peitzman, who has been dutifully filing dispatches from the Ringer frontlines since that show premiered on The CW. The series now has a full-season pickup, and Louis reported on Tuesday that it's been showing signs of improvement. Do you agree?

costello7 definitely does:

I'm really enjoying Ringer. The pilot was amazingly bad; I can't even believe it got on the air. But, since then, it's been really fun. What I like most is that the twists and turns come fast and furious... they don't drag a lot of stuff out like most primetime soaps do.

Swinglabacase is a Ringer fan, but thinks the show has too much filler:

This show knows how to create hooks... I also hope that they soon get away from what I call "the filler" story. They dilute too much the "thriller" aspect of what the show claims to be by using them too much.

I can't help but find Henry, Andrew, and Juliet so boring. So cliche. So uninteresting. Empty. Not just their part in the series but as characters. Gemma had more presence then both of them together. Though, it is soon in the series, I admit. They really have to move on with the main plot and eventually bring other strong actor/characters into the mix. Feels as if the writers are "too prudent." But your explanation about The CW's younger audience and Buffy fans makes sense.

There's enough good stuff to keep me interested. I just hope that they don't drag this other stuff too long.

And mac94102 had to give a shout-out to her favorite Veronica Mars star:

How can this article completely ignore the most amazing part of last night's show, the first appearance of Jason Dohring?! His role was forgettable to say the least, but any time I get to see Logan Echolls I am happy as can be.

And when you’re happy, we’re happy. Thanks for playing, everyone! We’ll see you back here next week. Same Shout-Out time. Same Shout-Out channel.

They are trying too hard to live up to the hype they set up for this show last year. This whole season so far has been lacking. It is not the drama exactly but how the drama is portrayed. Too long of scenes that are not important, all over the place story telling , and actors trying too hard to be convincing and deep. I really have been getting the feeling that I am watching some poor over dramatic 80's soap opera.

Then there is the this show is not about zombies but about the people surviving in a world taken over by zombies. One would think that this show is not even about survival at all, with the exception of a few scenes. This show seems to dwell off of hype and trend now and sloppy writing because as long as there are zombies in it, or the show is about zombies but you hardly see them, people will still like it.

People who defend the show say that it has to be about character building no issue with that. It is the way it is done and in such a cheap way one has to wonder if the writers of this show think their whole audience is stupid. I really wanted to like this season and I was excited about it coming back to air but feel ripped off by the writers and the net work of this show. Will be watching this season to the end to see if it gets better if not will leave this show to be and remember the first season that was good. This is just bad story telling drama, horror or not. How sad, another show destroyed.
Seems strange that the only comments you could find on Ringer are mostly positive ones. With all it's plot-holes and caricature of characters, this has got to be one of the worst show of the year (and let's hope the decade).
First of all, I don't think the Ringer pilot was "amazingly bad." IMO, it was terrific: exciting, suspenseful, fun, and interesting. Although Juliet is not my cup of tea as a character, Andrew is great and I like how Henry is being developed. This story has been good from the start.

The Good Wife is way overrated. I've finally quit watching it and don't miss it a bit.
The only overrated shows mentioned in this column are "Mad Men" and "Glee." One is a show of whitewashed fiction about a past that never existed, where people of color are minor details and the other is the musing of a man suffering with attention deficit disorder where heterosexuals and people of color are minor details. As for all of the other shows, (The Daily Show, The Good Wife, Community, and Games of Thrones) they are of personal taste and won't be for everyone. But each of those shows are examples of some of the best television that is still possible in today's media.

Besides that, who is saying ANYTHING about "Ringer?"
Important RINGER note: I watch this on CW's website. In the pilot episode, Siobhan gets a phone call at the end where a mysterious guy tells her, "Siobhan, we have a problem!" She says nothing and closes her phone.

Now, in the "Previously on Ringer" opening recap segments from latest episodes, they have the final scene from the pilot episode, but they changed it! Siobhan gets the phone call from mysterious guy and he says, "Siobhan, we have a problem, Bridget is still alive!" On top of that, it's a different sounding male voice. Check their website to see and hope they do not change that for the pilot.

I am not sure this was their original intention or if they have now decided to reveal Siobhan as Bridget's true assassin.

This creates questions: Hoe did Siobhan know that Bridget would actually take her place? They never officially agreed to switch places and Bridget never thought Siobhan would kill herself to do so.

Did Siobhan know her sister well enough that to her it was a "no-brainer" kind of thing? Is she, in fact, seeking to kill her sister for revenge against what Bridget may have done to that boy pictured in photo from pilot? Why wait so many years? To fake her death? How did Siobhan know that a day would come for this opportunity or did she make last minutes changes to another plan when Bridget came asking for help?

I would have preferred they keep it as it was and make it so that Siobhan has her plans ruined by an unknowing Bridget who surprisingly took an unknowing Siobhan's place.
The Ringer is way too glossy, all the characters are like caricatures of bored, wealthy upper east-siders. Its kinda like gossip girl 10 years later.
"I tried watching Game of Thrones, but when they threw a hundred million characters at me to differentiate in the first episode and an equal amount of unrestrained bombardment, I just short-circuited. Had no interest to carry on, especially when every once in a while I hear more casting news for Season 2, and I'm wondering how many new names/faces I'd have to familiarize if I continued. "

Really. I think that's just being a lazy viewer. I like the shows with a handful of main characters as much as the next person but the fact that GoT has such a big cast is a really nice change from the norm. Complaining you can't be bothered to follow who's who is not valid criticism, it's just that - complaining that you weren't handed everything wrapped neatly and easily to digest. One more time in case I wasn't clear - LAZY.
I loved Game of Thrones until they killed the two guys I actually cared about. I guess I do like the little guy, but he can't hold a fantasy show for me by himself.

I don't care about the inbreeding lions. All the lions suck but the dad (and the little guy mentioned above), and he was only in part of the last episode (Sardo Numspa, anyone?). I don't care about the tiny inbred albino dragon princess and her new kids. I don't care about the tomboy wolf girl and her new life on the lam. I wanted to care about the walkers coming toward the wall, but that wasn't in the season's budget.

I cared about a good guy trying to do what was right even if he was fairly stupid. Yeees, let the bitch queen know you're coming. She'll just walk off with her nephew-son and get out of your hair so you can rule her kingdom. And I cared about a raping, pillaging, warrior badass. I cared about Stark and Drogo. One was killed by a boy king, and the other walked into a sword and got gangrene. Lame.

I'm going to watch the second season and hope for good things, but it's a back-burner show for me now, like Alphas and Dexter.
I love The Walking Dead, Sons of Anarchy, Dexter, Fringe and Supernatural!!! I am also looking forward to trying Grimm. Another really good one is Person of Interest and Revenge is ok. I can take or leave American Horror Story, I liked the premiere episode of Once Upon a Time dont know how that will go yet and I like Terra Nova but do wish it had a little more dinosaurs and more excitement a little more bloody if you please. Of course I also like Boardwalk Empire and look forward to Game of Thrones coming back. None of the reality shows interest me at all. Thats about it for me.
I'm a huge Buffy fan. So what I don't get is why people keep talking about us like we're still teens. I was a teen when the show aired. I'm almost 30 now. So I need my SMG fix in a show that I don't feel too old for. Anyway, I like Ringer. I think there'll be more twists.

GoT, I think I have to actually watch watch it. It was a bit too violent for me in the start, and that's saying something, since I adore True Blood.

Walking Dead. Zombies? Nope, not for me.
It's not that I don't like GoT, I just don't like that genre. The medievel stuff. Just not for me. Didn't even watch the pilot. But if everybody liked the same thing the world would be pretty boring.
i absolutely agree Laserwolf412 about the walking dead.
Sorry to disagree with you, I think Walking Dead has hit the ground running and so far the new season is fine. Game of Thrones is the BEST show in ten years of watching TV's vast wasteland looking to be entertained. GoT has done that and more! Now if you are looking for a show that has gone downhill, look no further than Sons of Anarchy! A great show that screwed up and added David Hasselhoff and "jumped the Shark" to coin the phrase.
Blasphemy! Haha, your opinion but I respectfully disagree. This season of SOA is brilliant and less than a minute screen time of Hasselhoff cannot possibly constitute calling 'jump the shark'. People just love to say that about every show. Your praise for Walking Dead while condemning SOA is just strange to me. SOA is miles ahead of any other show and especially Walking Dead.
Staff
If you don't like Breaking Bad, no one likes you.
The complaint about the guy being dumb for not seeing the zombies on top of the RV is a poor one, but the complaint that the show is cheap and boring is very true.
can you explain why it is a poor one ,what explaination could he give for not seeing them ,i mean it was a whole army of zombie's,he is on top of the RV he can see more than a mile with the binoculars,the zombies dont move at the speed of light.Nobody gets pissed of at him for not seeing them soon enough.

this reminds me when Peter in Heroes Season 2 was trying to open the safe containing the virus and he started bleeding from the nose dramatic i agree but did he forget that he can walk through walls at will ,when they try to add drama common sense seems to be forgotten.Im still loving the show tho
how ridiculous ,i thought the whole point of getting on top of the van was to be able to see anyone coming from a mile away .i have never seen zombies sprint before but these zombie seem to be the smartest around.What about the better looking cars(with aircon better gas consumotion) that were all around them all packed with goods that those that didnt survive left behind.If there was common sense then they would have changed to better cars and checked all the cars for goods.Please lets not be given cheap dramatic scenarios that dont move the story forward
Damn, now I really need to catch up with those Ringer episodes. Jason Dohring... yes plz.
As much as I like Supernatural/Sci Fi, I can't understand the attraction of Zombies - such pointless creatures to say the least. Vampires don't thrill me much either, with a few exceptions like Moonlight. Oh well, to each his own, I guess....
Sir, you simply do not understand it. The Walking Dead is not about the zombies, even the title is referred to the survivors, who ARE The Walking Dead, the story is about how people survive post-Apocalypse and what becomes of them.
After watching the season premier of TWD a second time, I found it to be better! I'm still bothered by the zombie sneak attack from behind, hiding under cars, girl running off into the woods, the love triangle, walking up to a 350 pound young buck... but what gets me the most is when he gets to the little girl, he sits there and talks to her for two minutes in the pond before he hides her in tree roots! Why didn't he grab her and run back to the highway the way he came? Oh I know why! There wouldn't be any lost lil girl melodrama!

And Ringer.. no one knows what is truly going on with this show! Who is doing what to who? All we know is the stupid love triangle and a irritating daughter! If the cop or detective talks to the husband and tells him that his wife has a twin..wouldn't the show be over?
Just saying how convenient it is for this show that the detective hasn't talked to the husband yet, that would be one of the first persons you talk to. Well, maybe he has but we have not seen it..that would mean he already knows, I guess.
I tried to watch Game of Thrones. I paused it and went online and looked up all the characters so that I could keep them straight. But I spent a lot of time cringing and dreading what was coming next--and I'm not adverse to things dark and gory, it's just on GoT it's so unrelenting. I like it on shows like Supernatural where it's broken up with some humor (dark and gory humor, but still humor.) I came across this comic strip which summed up why I stopped watching it:

That comic was awful. If you enjoyed that but not Game of Thrones, you may need your head examined.
I gotta admit, not having read the Game of Thrones book I was overwhelmed after watching the first episode. There were, like, 30 characters? And I was supposed to remeber not only their names and affiliations but also the 20 different stories that started for each and every one of them? WTF? Then I took the time and read the TV.com Guide to GoT - and it was totally worth it. Without it I probably would have dropped the show right away. (And on that note: thanks Tim!)
Whoever says that Walking Dead, Daily Show and Game of Thrones isn't for them should stick with Jersey Shore. They be crazy.
How can you not like Game of Thrones? It's a crossover hit. They're telling human stories in a fantasy world.
Treat yourself.
People are different and thats why they make so many different tv shows. I like Game of Thrones and if someone else doesn't I don't care. I hate reality shows. I don't think people that watch them are stupid, I just think the shows are stupid. I personally like shows that make you think a little bit. Others just may not want to think for an hour.

Different is good. Except reality shows, they gotta go.
True dat. If people want to watch regurgitated bullshit for an hour, I say its America! Let em, and pray their voting decisions are better than their tv choices.
Thanks for that. I get so sick of people saying "if you disagree with me and what I like, you must be stupid."
Great point about The Walking Dead, Ringer is awesome and I look forward to watching more of both!
I actually agree with the Walking Dead issues pointed out above. I didn't understand the water part at all, it was stupid and selfish. I also didn't care for the little girl lost in the woods turn. Now the not feeling comfortable stealing/salvaging is understandable as her previous life path wouldn't be that sort of person married to a cop especially. Also it would be a little gross and scary to be around all those corpses as well. But the show can't be looked upon negatively because it's still growing and we are all still adjusting to life in a zombie world so shut up and watch and come back in 5 episodes.
On Walking Dead, why dont they trade in their crap RV and cars and take some new ones?????

For survivalists, they seem to not know how to pick the good stuff to survive!!!!
I thought about that too, but on the other hand how do you know which car is good and full without testing? Those cars were there for at least a month, and testing would require turning the engine on.... that would surely attract every zombie around.
I know right!!! Laserwolf412 pointed out alot of wtf moments. You'd think they'd be quicker on their feet with alot of common sense things. Changing vehicles would have been the first thing I would have done once we got to that car graveyard. Get a car that's much better on gas and doesn't break down. Get that water loaded into the cars asap. I'm hoping they all improve on their common sense throughout the season. Otherwise I'm gonna start cheering for the zombies.
Not that I can say that GoT is a bad show, I just never got hooked. Sure, the cliffhanger in the end of ep one kinda tickled my stomach but all in all the show was just never for me! Never made it past ep two!

I can still say with some confidence that I'm not THAT stupid, some people just need to learn that everyone doesn't think exactly like them. I think it's fair to say that it's you, the small minded morons that can't accept a difference in taste, that are stupid.
And before someone is going to complain about my spelling or grammar I'm gonna say that english is not my first language, so suck it!
Anyone that doesn't like GoT because of "too many characters" is too stupid to enjoy a good show anyway.

Mad men is over-rated crap that is trying to ruin AMC.

Community is > the office, parks and rec, 30 rock, and other crappy shows like that.

If you don't like Walking Dead, you are more brain dead than the shows zombies.
And here I am again....We sure don't like the same shows but why not be nice about it? I'm not calling you stupid for enjoying some lame fantasy show in a boring world with kings or watching zombies trying to eat people...Nothing wrong with that.
I had very similar thoughts to Laserwolf412 and mrfurious00 regarding The Walking Dead and Community, respectively. I still like TWD and love Community, but the season 2 premiere of TWD had many flaws, and season 3 of Community seems focused too much on creativity over actual humor.
Thanks for the shout out Seth, I still stand by it. Although I did fail to give HUGE credit to Community for the recent Breaking Bad shout outs! Love those! At least Dan Harmon's got good taste.
Laserwolf412 said it best - Walking Dead was more than a bit underwhelming. Even the "suspenseful ending" of the episode was a rip-off of a Season Two episode of Lost and wasn't all that shocking.

It looks like the show is already starting to suffer from losing Darabont, having it's budget and filming times cut, and new direction from people otherwise not up to the task.

The spot-on analysis of the opening monologue falling flat and sounding like reading a prepared statement was very true as well. I was watching it with a buddy, and I turned to him and said the same thing. The REALLY bad CG-backdrop of the city didn't help the cheese factor either.

Also, tvgirl17's comments below are accurate as well..

Let's hope it gets better. The show was pretty good for the first bits of Season One, but kinda fell flat as it went along. Should pick up with a longer season, though. (Oh, wait - it's got a hiatus in it...)
Everyone should be able to like or dislike whichever show they wish to like or dislike. It's a free country. That being said: WHO DOES NOT LIKE GAME OF THRONES? honestly.
I agree that not everyone is going to agree about all shows. With Game Of Thrones, I simply do not subscribe to the network it comes on. That said, I did watch one episode, and while I sometimes enjoy these types of shows, I knew Game Of Thrones was not going to be a show I was going to miss at all.
Q: Who doesn't like GoT?

A: Stupid people.
Heeeere's Stupid!
While I think the Walking Dead premiere was better than most of the episodes last season, I still don't see what's so great about it. It's not paving any new ground in the genre (unless you count post-apocalyptic domestic spats). And it's insanely predictable. Andrea's hiding from a zombie in the bathroom - of COURSE she's going to make a noise. The little boy inches closer to a deer in a peaceful, silent moment - of COURSE something is going to pop out of nowhere and injure him. They're stopped at a roadblock - of COURSE a zombie herd is going to happen by. They're all hiding under cars from the zombies - of COURSE someone is going to make a noise or move or something. Visually, I love the look of the show. And this episode helped a little with character development (I'm finally starting to get these people's names), but there's nothing here that I haven't already seen in a million other zombie movies.
I would completely disagree. The church scene was good, and I didn't see the kid getting shot.

Also, Zombie 'dead body blankets' good move.

I agree they need to lighten up on the domestic crap.
Ringer is getting better and better i hope it goes up in the ratings and get renewed for a season 2.