TV.com Throwdown, the Results Show: Which J.J. Abrams Show is Better, Lost or Fringe?

Remind me never to ever make Lost or Fringe the subject of Throwdown again. You guys commented in record numbers for the feature, amassing more than 600 responses. And for the most part, the discussion was remarkably civil and only devolved into fanboy name-calling toward the end. But I don't see that as hostility, I see that as a sign of passion (and maybe a little bit of "daddy didn't love you enough").

It was great to see all the love for Fringe and Lost. The majority of you really liked both shows, and I got a kick out of all the "Don't make me choose!" responses. But think of it as practice for the next time you're in a concentration camp and the German guard says you can only take one of your children (Sophie's Choice, anyone?). Also, a lot of you with Fringe user icons chose Lost, and vice versa. To me, that's a testament to how good both shows are.

But in the end, the winner was... Fringe, by a vote of 219 to 143. There were lots of disclaimers because Fringe hasn't ended, and some people were turned off by Lost's finale. Fringe supporters cited its sci-fi roots, question-answering, and more time spent with a smaller cast. Those who favored Lost noted its ability to change the way we watch television, its spirituality, its social impact, and its abundance of stellar episodes. As for my stance, I'm going to side with the 17 folks who copped out and said "both." Yeah, yeah, I'm a wuss. I know. But when I look at the pros and cons of both shows, I see them as even. I'm a million-percent invested in Fringe and love the way it makes me think, but I'll never forget how I felt about Lost and how it changed me as a television viewer.

Let's take a look at the results in pie-graph form, because that's what Mr. Eko would have wanted us to do.

Which J.J. Abrams Show is Better, Lost or Fringe?
Fringe 219 | Lost 143 | Both 17 | Alias 7 | Alcatraz 1 | Felicity 1

Just look at Walter. He's clearly wondering who the boob is who voted for Alcatraz. Relax, Walter, it was just a joke. There were plenty more jokes in the comments (which I always love), as well as some incredibly serious answers. And a few of you even wrote books on the subject! Special shout-outs to @bendyelgsnick, @bothcats, @Summerqueen, @Hungry_Homer111 (who always provided excellent commentary on my Lost articles), @JeffBabies, @TrevPlatt, @shootingstar609, @Arch_Angel88, @neilwatches, and @AlexanderZhao for their extensive thoughts. I encourage you to take a look at everything they wrote. But for now, let's highlight the best snippets!

Chumpstlz1 made no sense, but made me chuckle with: "I guess the hipster thing is to say Fringe."

NateDogTheGreat managed to bring Lebron into the argument: "Fringe by a couple of universes. Not only does it have time travel like Lost, but it handles it much better than its more popular counterpart. On top of that, it has basis in real areas of cutting-edge science. Lost never even knew what its identity was until its writers decided their horrendous ending. Religion, the worst cop-out to many decently written supernatural sagas that were all overrated in the end. As if that weren't enough, Fringe handles (channeling Lebron James) not one, not two, but possibly as many as three separate universes and makes them intertwine and snuggle in comfortably with one another as if that were the plan all along. Lost infamously has more loose ends than, well. . . nothing good. As it turns out, Lost was doomed once it received its name and became the epitome of itself. Fringe will make you tingle with happiness and joy, just as I imagine the fringe of many things will do." Some would say Fringe is also channeling Lebron because it's weak in its fourth quarter.

Miss_Mouse88, will you marry me? "Fringe is weird and great without going over the edge into crazy town. Lost, on the other hand, skipped merrily into crazy town, ran for mayor, won, painted the entire town pink with yellow polka dots and decreed it law that people must speak backwards from that day forward. What I'm trying to say is that Fringe wins."

platoonist loves his parents very much: "Asking to choose between these two is like asking to choose between your mom and dad."
Montana_Katana does not: "Maybe, if one of your parents is a drunken ex-con." Which one is the drunken ex-con, Montana?! Lost or Fringe?

skyermay00 still thinks Mrs. Cruise is Joey Potter: "Lost. Anytime I've ever tried to watch Fringe I can't believe Joshua Jackson as anyone other than Pacey."

But Shikady, they DID die! "I'd say: Fringe wins in almost every aspect of what makes a show... a show lol. It has better actors, better story, better story telling, all the characters are great, while in Lost I hated characters so much I wanted for them to die. (I'm looking at you, Jack and Sun...and sometimes Kate.) [Fringe] doesn't leave you hanging all the series just to know what the hell happened, etc."

Left4Ed got honest and gave great examples of how a show can bring people together: "At a low point in my life, when I was mopping floors at an office building for minimum wage, I discovered one of the higher-up worker bees was a huge Lost fan and while I was emptying his garbage, we'd chat excitedly about the previous night's episode like friends. At a grocery store, I got into a twenty-minute discussion with a complete stranger about Lost after commenting on her Lost-themed shirt. With Fringe, not only did I have that completely stunned moment, it's never led to those wonderful little moments with other fans. A lot of my friends watched Lost. None of them watch Fringe... So that sort of connection isn't there, with the community of fans, despite familiarity or class difference, and because of that, it doesn't make me appreciate Fringe like it made me appreciate Lost. I love both but Lost will always win in my book, for those reasons."

cezarrrr is talkin' 'bout his generation: "I might always prefer Lost because it was a mark for my generation, just like people who saw Twin Peaks in the '90s might always prefer Twin Peaks over any weird mystery sci-fi show."

Cranky_Old_Batt did not watch the same Lost pilot I did: "Fringe. I couldn't get past the first fifteen minutes of Lost."

Don't be surprised if you walk in on Tayke making love to his/her television: "Let's look at it this way, Lost is your college sweetheart. You had some good times, but ultimately, things didn't end on the best of terms. you cherish your memories, but accept you no longer feel the same way. Fringe is the guy (or girl) who comes along and you end up married to. It's a relationship with it ups and downs, but in the end, worth it. Yes, what a weird, weird... Metaphor."

emmiegirl will always earn a mention if she quotes Fievel: "Fringe, 100 percent. Admitted Rabid Fan Girl. The show is brilliant, the actors are uncommonly fantastic, and I haven't found myself rooting this hard for a guy to make it back to the people he loves since little Fievel Mousekewitze sang "Somewhere Out There." (sniff). John Noble is AMAZING, cannot possibly say enough good things about his performance as Walter Bishop, and while I do not know what universe we are in half the time, my inner geek digs the challenge."

That's it for this week! We'll be back next week with a new Throwdown!

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Game of Thrones vs Breaking bad
Bit difficult because GoT aint finished yet But those are my two favorite shows of all time.
Run this one again but Fringe vs Person of Interest
I liked Lost a lot, I watched it once it ended and I enjoyed pretty much the six seasons, however it never hooked me like Fringe did.... in fact, I have never been so hooked for a show, not even Pushing Daisies, which was my previous favorite, or Supernatural which came next (and left in season 6). Fringe is outright perfect, it's smart, it makes you feel all kind of emotions, and it certainly made me cry once (I'm looking at you Marionette episode). I love the characters and I find the story arcs better crafted than Lost. I think Lost high point was season 4, which is my favorite; I enjoyed seasons 5 and 6, and I cried at the end when I saw Sawyer and Juliet finally together (awesome couple), but it certainly does not compare with the feelings Fringe has awoken for me. Walter just makes melt inside, makes laugh and makes sad for him, Olivia breaks my heart time to time and Peter makes me gasp, they are a wonderful cast, they bring Fringe alive along with amazing stories, which I think are the best ever made in sci-fi.

Summing it up, Fringe>Lost. Sorry Lost, you were a wonderful show, but Fringe is only getting better and better each season, it surpassed you already by the end of season 2
lol, go watch Alias and X files, its far better than fringe
i actualy somehow cried @ the end of the lost finaly,, i had never been drawn to a show as much as lost, i mean how sad is it that jack dies on the same spot where he woke up for the 1st time on the pilot episode back in season 1. briliant!!!

*emotionaly, lost is better but nothing compares to the thrill that comes with fringe
LOST is the best show to ever aired on TV. The pilot was the most brilliant hour ever made. The season 3 finale was the best written episode of all time. The series finale were the most breathtaking finale of all time. And now back to FRINGE. the season 2 finale were one of the most confusing episode and shocking of all time. the 'Peter' episode were one of the most touching episodes, the season 3 finale was the most mind-blowing episode ever written. and the series finale was? well are still waiting. so for now, I would say LOST > FRINGE.
yes agreed and the fringe finally wasn't really good.
Haha what I do with my television is my own damn business! Thanks for the mention :)
thanks for the shoutout!
Lost got off to a great start and then just got a bit too weird, ending finally with one of the weakest, most disappointing finales I have ever encountered. Fringe on the other hand has managed to keep me gripped from day one and here's hoping that it doesn't go off the rails too!!
Lost was all in all a great show with great actors. I watched all of them. Yes there were episodes that were slow/poor and some cliff hangers that made me sick but, it was good. Based on the end though, i'm still LOST lol.

Fringe from episode 1 for me has been amazing from a scientific background and phenomena. It has delivered neat and tidy complex storylines that not only grip, but fascinate me. It's take on time and space is well done while exercising what is a police type genre. All the characters in the show execute commanding performances consistently. FINALLY and this i a fact when it came to alot of shows that registered poor viewer ratings. MOSTLY EVERYBODY DOWNLOADS THE EPISODES THE MINUTE IT'S AVAILABLE BECAUSE THEY CAN'T WAIT TO WATCH IT. Based on this the ratings for screen watching will never be superb. Many of the avid watchers have never watched it live as it has come on at an hour locally unsuitable or has been inaccessible due to country restrictions, but you can guarantee that the millions and millions are hooked nonetheless.
Oh and when fringe ends unless it can be equaled with such greatness, my TV will only be good for use with the games consoles!!!
Its easy to say Fringe since its still on, and people still feel jipped by the LOST finale. Come back with the same question in 2 years.

Lost will always be Abram's best show. Let me put it this way: You don't see marketing that says "From the creator of Fringe."
Because Lost was a "pop" show, just like Lady Gaga gets more hype than Adele.

That doesn't mean Lady Gaga's music is better, does it?
Here Here!

They are both great shows. Since I liked Lost up to the series finale, I can only say I can't give weight to Fringe until it's finale, or when it solves it's big mystery/character arc. Too bad Fringe got Foxed, it may have done better on ABC ( a non twitchy network).
fringe hands down. lost was great. but i was turned off in the midst of season 3
Are you lonely? Are you looking for you soul mate? Do you love romance and drama? Then watch Lost.

Are you interested in sci-fi and fantasy with strong characters and plot developments that actually mean something? Welcome to Fringe.
Folks, LOST > FRINGE . Simple point: based on Ratings, Awards, Reviews, Popularity, Social Media, Websites, Fan clubs, Watch Parties, Podcasts, Entertainment segments. FRINGE is currently on the verge of being cancelled due to low ratings. People aren't watching because they don't like the show, which means the quality isn't top notch enough for them to watch it. LOST held an avg of 12 million viewers for 6 seasons. FRINGE is standing at 3.1 million. Plus, FRINGE not only never won an Emmy or Golden Globe, it hasn't even been nominated by the people who make quality shows. I'm not saying its awful, I LOVE FRINGE. But LOST Is clearly In a different class then FRINGE is. Besides, FRINGE isbeing made in CANADA because Fox isn't giving them enough $ to shoot in NY because they don't fully back the show as ABC did with LOST.

You can most certainly like FRINGE more than LOST, but to say FRINGE is better based on Quality? Most certainly Not. Sorry for the rant, but these results make no sense and are biased based on timing of this survey. LOST is over, completed work... FRINGE is still on TV and fresh. This needs to be asked when FRINGE is a competed work, which sadly could be In a few months. God, I hope it gets renewed though.
So Britney Spears is the greatest singer of all time?
Did I say LOST was the greatest series of all time? No, but compared to FRINGE based on the facts, it is better. What you just said doesn't apply here.
It's okay. It's nothing more than an opinion poll. So, I'm conceding from debating further. When someone wants to argue the facts with qualifying evidence and not mere opinion, I'm there. I certainly hope FRINGE has a season 5 though.
talk about a biased article. Not even one great quote from Lost fans. LOST, the greatest of all time!!! I aint gonna comment anymore. natedogthegreat is an idiot. Cranky_Old_Batt should not even be able to comment, what a disgrace of a person. Reply to my comment you fools, do as you're told cos i aint gonna read it no more!!! Finally F U tim surette!!!

WOW! Don't get me wrong I loved lost ... for the first three seasons. I loved the interweaving of the characters and the surprises when you get a glimps of how one character is connected to each other. "That's why the redsocks will never win in the world series" is a perfect example (Jack and Sawyer) but compare that to "strawberry flavored death" from Walter and I'm a lot more invested in Fringe characters than I was in Lost characters.

Which is better, I couldn't say because there is very little in common between the two but I like Fringe better than Lost, even if it doesn't get all the hype!
I wish I had been around so I could have lent support to Fringe...Lost had better polish and was flashier Fringe has a lot more substance.

Though reading the write up what does "Those who favored Lost noted its ability to change the way we watch television" mean?
So, would we answer the same if both shows started the same week and year and ran parallel to each other??

There's definitely some bias here because LOST is over and FRINGE is still in progress. I want this same question asked when FRINGE ends, that way we have two completed works to judge and compare. My take below is based on accolades, critical review, fan base and popularity of each. The fact is, subjectivity wins here, and most is based on the timing of the question. For the record, I love both shows.
i hope fringe's finale sucks!!!
I honestly hope not, but if does, I guarantee that a majority of people who defend Fringe now... will bail and talk about how it sucked. This is what all the mad Lost fans are doing now. They're bitter and claim to hate the show based on one episode, the ending. How sad is that?
watched the fringe finale, wasn't good. LOST was amazing!
There was a lot more wrong with Lost than just a poor conclusion. It turns out that they built a house of cards an it became ever so obvious when it collapsed in The End. Lost simply did not deliver.
Nah, I don't think so....I think Lost did ok in the finale but Fringe will do better since I'm quite sure that JJ and his people learned alot during and after Lost.
I was an absolute, die hard LOST junkie for six years. I miss the LOST viewing parties, pouring over blogs the day after an episode aired, and all the LOST discussions with friends, co-workers, and sometimes complete strangers. It really was a very special show. Up until last summer, I had never seen Fringe. Then one Friday night, I caught a re-run on tv. So I looked for and watched a few more OnDemand. Then I went out and bought seasons 1 & 2 on DVD. By the time I finished them, season 3 was released. I devoured all 3 Fringe seasons in about 2 weeks, and it led me right into the season 4. I am now totally wrapped up in both universes and love these people. LOST was my first love, and Fringe is my soulmate! I didn't vote because I just couldn't bear to pick one of them over the other. But after reading all of these comments, now I just want to go out and buy Felicity on DVD and see what's up.
my soulmate is LOST, I may fall in love again and i hope i do but it will never be my soul mate!
Fringe by a long .50cal shot, it's way more intellectual, has good plot and loveable characters. The sci-fi content is so much fun & interesting and seem "hypothetically real".
Fringe all the way, so more complex and articulate with it's emotional drama and the morality of cause and effect for worlds beyond our limited day to day persepctive, acting is beyond good;)
Fringe is better
repeating it won't make it better LOL
Fringe is better
Lost hands down! it was original, suspenseful, THE show to watch at the time., even if not perfect (but then what show is.. apart from West Wing ;-))

Fringe is up and down (and right now way down, this season is boring as hell and I'm close to giving up, again)
dude couldn't agree more!
Both LOST and FRINGE are great shows, but to judge true quality you gotta look at the facts.

LOST was groundbreaking because no one saw a mystery show captivating tens of millions of viewers every week for six years. LOST knocked out other greats dramas in the 2005 Emmy awards for "Outstanding Drama Series". It was nominated again for it's last four seasons back-to-back. Because of this, LOST became a household name. Terry O'Quinn and Michael Emerson both won Emmy awards for their excellent acting. Even Matthew Fox was nominated in its final season.

What's my point? LOST is the better Drama in quality because of the accolades, the fan base, the global attention in the media and social media. I'm not dissing Fringe, I love the show and I think the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences is dissing John Noble, who totally deserves three Emmys right now, but the fact is- judges don't like sci fi. But, the academy did appreciate LOST because of ITS QUALITY.

Fringe isn't as popular and hasn't won anything, or has gotten big attention. Does this make it a worse show, absolutely not. But in the television sphere- premium quality shows (yes, even Mad Men) get attention and win awards and Fringe hasn't yet.

Bottom Line, based on the facts: LOST is superior and will live on in American/global culture far longer than Fringe will- I guarantee it.
I pointed this out earlier, but simple popularity is not equivalent to quality. There are many, many shows that most fans of both shows would agree are far inferior that have significantly more viewers (such as Two and a Half Men, actors on which have won Emmys). Accolades, though often a barometer, are almost always somewhat swayed by popularity, so I have a hard time believing that we can look at those sorts of things as evidence of quality. A show having a small viewership does not determine its overall strength as a series.
You bring up good points , but what I am saying is that LOST has many grading aspects over FRINGE when comparing quality: Accolades, popularity, positive critic reviews and a very strong fan base. Most agree that if a series has these aspects, especially awards and positive reviews, then it's a quality show. I'm not basing the quality of LOST on just one or two of those points, but all taken into account, together. The bottom line is objectively- LOST has the higher grade in quality, with those things as my qualifying evidence. FRINGE sadly does not.

Subjectively , Fringe is a great show that sadly doesn't get the attention that it deserves, which is likely why it doesnt have the fan base it deserves.But, comparingthe two JJ series back-to-back, they're about even in compelling story telling. But the quality edge (in my opinion) goes to LOST due to its consistent cinematic value.
I see what you're saying, but I still stand by the fact that popularity can in no way be equated with quality. One does not logically cause the next. As far as accolades go, okay, yes, Lost has certainly outperformed Fringe, at least at major award shows (I don't know the breakdown for things like Saturn Awards and the like), but those major awards are almost always biased toward particular shows--often the most popular. This isn't meant to denigrate the awards Lost has won, but to explain that I don't think it's entirely fair to use awards won as a purely "objective" standard.

And, of course, critical reception is important, but often very hard to quantify. Both series have, of course, received similar critical praise, so I'm not sure how one can definitively say that one has had more of it than the other.
I agree, Spencer, that having this poll after both shows conclude would probably be a much fairer comparison. I don't know that people necessarily throw Lost under the bus for its ending, but I think the reason the ending of Lost garners so much weight is that the show was built upon an ongoing, serialized story, and part of a serialized story is its conclusion--if that's not solid, the rest loses some of its meaning (the payoff needs to be worth more than the initial investment, so to speak). If you think the ending achieved what it needed to, then great, and that's fine. I, however, did find the ending a bit flimsy and problematic (and a bit too easy, if you ask me), thus hurting Lost in my book. Now, perhaps Fringe will fail as well. If it does, maybe my vote changes to Lost. Ergo, I do agree with your assessment of the whole process.
The true issue with the question is that the point of it is entirely subjective. Which is fine, it's no different than a political poll. I just can't believe people would throw LOST under the bus because of the ending, when the large majority of the series was high quality. I would much prefer this question asked after FRINGE ends. Two completed works side by side would be a lot more logical, because comparing these shows now is just based on nothing more than current January 2012 opinion. I'm just shocked with the results, but they are what they are.
Very tough choice. I would lean towards Lost based on their character development was very well thought out and dug deeper at the core of the character. What's even more impressive was how many characters came through Lost that received this same treatment.

The truth is Fringe and Lost are both really good shows. I simply cannot choose between the two. Each has had great character development. My favorite moments were definitely the more emotional ones like the episode Peter in Fringe or The Constant in Lost. Alcatraz seems to be shaping up as well. Kit Nelson was an incredibly poignant episode, featuring a lot of great character development for Dr. Soto (whom I find to be more interesting than Hugo, even at these early stages: his acting skills have come a long way).
I want to know if anybody else is wondering why 'Person of Interest' was not at least mentioned in the whole JJ convo...I guess I just did. I figured if Alcatraz was mentioned why not throw in this red headed step child.
It's not rocket science.

If you love metaphorical relationship dramas, you chose Lost.

If you love sci-fi and fantasy, you chose Fringe.
Well that's not exactly accurate.

Lost had plenty of sci-fi, fantasy elements. Fringe has relationship and character stuff in spades.

I can't tell if this is meant to disparage Fringe or not, but it certainly comes off that way.
How the heck you infer an insult to Fringe in what I said is bizarre.

Lost had phony sci-fi fantasy elements, like in a dream, but they ultimately went nowhere and meant nothing. Real sci-fi, fantasy, LIKE FRINGE, doesn't play games like that with its viewers.

But, like I said, if it's all about the romance and who will find their soul mate or not, then Lost is the show for you.
It just seemed that by mentioning "metaphorical relationship dramas" for one series and just "sci-fi and fantasy" for the other, you were indicating a mutually exclusive relationship. Fringe certainly also has some serious relationship complexities, and I read your comment as indicating that one had them and the other didn't. I apologize for any misreading.
Lost had a ton of issues and Fringe is great.

Lost was a drug watched it 3 times and will watch it again someday, Fringe is great.

Lost
you need your head examined if you think fringe doesn't have issues!!!
lets face it does it matter, if JJ did it, its gonna be good
If JJ did it, it will ask more questions than it answers and have several episodes that use the tired "in medias res" trope.
i love them both, but the choice in this case is simple- fringe!
i pray the ending sucks for fringe and i watch it!
LOST, simply the best drama show EVER!!!
yep and NEVER gonna be another!!!
I hate both of those shows :) Please don take it personally !
Never seen an episode of Lost, so I say Fringe, eventhough theyre on track for the wrong side now.. its lost a bit..somthings wrong
Really?! LOST is so much better! I never even considered Fringe to be in the same league as LOST...
Thank you, someone said what took me two whole paragraphs. LOST, in the show's quality, is in a different league than FRINGE. Both shows are good, but LOST has awards, countless positive reviews from distinguished critics, massive fanbase, it was a phenomenon. FRINGE, while intriguing, has never reached the pull that LOST did and sadly never will. How can an average of 12 million viewers for six seasons be wrong over an average of 5 million? I just don't get the FRINGE arugument of superiority.

The show is not even made in the states anymore, it's produced and shot in Canada.
How, exactly, does where a show is shot have ANYTHING to do with how good it is?

And, okay, you want to use numbers. Fine. This must mean that American Idol is twice as good as Lost because twice as many people watch AI as watched Lost. Right?

I'm not trying to rag on choosing Lost by any means, but at least consider the factors you're arguing here.
Yes, but we're not talking American Idol which I said hasn't won any accolades for quality, LOST has. It's ok, I'll concede from the argument. FRINGE is a great show, but LOST is on a totally different level than FRINGE is... and the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, Foreign Press Association, critics like Robert Bianco and the American Televison Institute (not talking popularity here) happen to agree.
The true problem with your argument, SpencerErnst, is that you are trying to apply logic and facts to an entirely opinionated question. Next, I will be crazy for not liking spaghetti because everyone knows that spaghetti is loved by millions of people, the food critics love it, it has been around longer and makes more money per year than say...pickles. It doesn't matter. You get the point.

You seem like a smart guy but you're trying to transform your personal opinion, and others, into a fact when it simply is not.

Both shows were/are great. I am big on storytelling and by dropping the ball at the end, Lost faded into irrelevancy for me. See...opinion.
Talk about a David vs Goliath type match up. LOST wins easily in my book. Fringe is good, but LOST was great. First time I saw the fringe pilot I actually fell asleep lol. I have no idea why I keep watching Fringe, I just do.
Thank you and fringe copied Lost, getting cheap pops by showing a plane lol!!!
So every show that uses an airplane in an episode copied Lost? Hokay.
Based on the analogy, it would make more sense for Fringe to win. Cuz, you know, David beat Goliath, and clearly the David figure has to be the underwatched Fringe here.
this
dang if I had seen this I would have voted Fringe hands down, even though it isn`t complete.

Lost went on way too long, considering the ending, which was a cop-out. I was a HUGE lost fan, and the finale just took all my love for the show away. i appreciate how great it was initially, and how they tricked me into thinking everything was so important. In the end, nothing really mattered other than the journey of the characters.

I was looking forward for so long, to be able to go back to the beginning of lost and watch it all over, but the finale gave me absolutely zero interest in giving another second of my life to that show, other than this rant I suppose lol.

My hubby was right with his instinct to stop watching after a few seasons. He saw the forest for the trees.
Just wait for the FRINGE series finale, you might just be as disappointed. That's why the question's timing is unfair. If asked after FRINGE's run, the vote would definelty be unbiased.
oh what a joke, they DID answer all the major questions, it was during the final season not the finale. Just cos you didnt like the answers doesn't mean they didnt give them. Their show= their answers. Cop out my ass!!!
Woah. Somebody quoted me and my crappy english.

It was tough voting against lost...the show opened for me a world of possibilities. I literally learned English thanks to LOST. Yes, I had english as a subject in my school, but I did not learn a thing, most things I know I had to learn because of LOST, and online gaming. I think my english is awful, but my boss beg to differ and I can talk with tourists with no problem so I guess is not that bad.

It was 2005, I saw the first season of lost on a cable channel here in Argentina, but when season 2 started I got some major spoilers and I got angry as hell. So I started pirating. Lost subtitles were up in a couple of hours, at first it was OK the wait, but then it became frustrating because spoilers on the internet are like herpes in a whorehouse, so I watched lost 2 times. One time as soon as possible and one time with the subtitles. By the end of season 3 I didn't need subtitles anymore.

And pirating shows...thank you LOST!. I became addicted to shows from USA and the UK ( and some aussie shows too ). The TV here sucks we only have telenovelas, prime time telenovelas and reality shows with people dancing naked, no kidding. Watching masterpieces like Farscape, The Shield, The Wire, Curb Your Enthusiasm, etc etc etc changed my life. Hours and hours of entertaining, in a time in my life I was a little depressed.

So it was damn hard for me to vote against a show that literally changed my life, but that shows how much I love Fringe and how frustrating is to see that only a few US citizens share my love with the show. I really hope for a good ending, because the show deserves it.
So nice words :) As a Swede I fully understand you, life would be so empty without the internet and certain sites.

Just though it seemed like people where voting for Fringe, to not vote for Lost...
From what I saw, I looked, I thought, and argued with myself for some series, I can say that they, somehow, to me. shaped and still shape the way I like it or not, what I'm currently watching. And among these "bases" that influenced my imagination, I can not fail to mention great series that I have watched with great emotion and pleasure, which, among other things, I quote: Star Trek (original series), X Files, SG-1 , Alias and Lost. Now, no doubt, with the sum of all these emotions ever felt before, I am fully inserted into a "Fringe spirit" that is, to me, just what I call now, something amazing in science fiction. Hence, my great joy to see, "my" Fringe, winning this dispute, without detracting from the Lost, of course.
Fringe did not create a worldwide phenomenon...people didn't host Fringe Parties for the season/series finale...Fringe is relegated to a Friday Night time slot...and this isn't even diving into the content of either show...
But that ending...
However, none of those things is directly indicative of a show's quality.

Case in point: American Idol has consistently had more viewers than either show. That doesn't mean it's better.
Yes, but American Idol has never won any awards, Lost has been nominated and won countless times, had the popularity and became a phenomenon. The people who make tv shows, who judge the quality of shows, say its a high-quality show. How can a majority of people, fans, critics and producers all be wrong? FRINGE has never been nominated once. That tells me and millions of Americans that it's not better than LOST and that's why FRINGE's ratings are lower than ever at 3.1 million. It may not be renewed for season 5. How's that for quality?
er no. AI is a show that is loved just cos you don't like it don't mean its bad.

Fringe is same genre as Lost but no one cares for fringe, ratings do reflect lost of interest in fringe. Fringe wont even get to end properly if it continues to loose viewers!
That's true. However, I am not home on Friday nights. I watch Fringe on On Demand. Odds are that a solid chunk of the viewership does the same, because it has been mishandled by Fox. I don't see how that's the show's fault.

And if you think that major awards are given out purely on quality, you live in something of a fantasy. Plenty of shows that get extremely good critical response don't get nominated or awarded when they should.

I don't bring this up because I'm trying to diss Lost (though I did vote for Fringe). I'm just trying to point out that popularity really does not work as evidence of quality (ergo the AI comparison).
P.S. you should only compare the two once Fringe finish it's run. It's only in season 4 way to early to start rating shows. Once fringe ends could you rate these two shows, thats like rating Alcatraz and Fringe. Alcatraz just started we never know whats going to happen in the rest of the seasons and believe me I watched shows that were great and turn into crap as later seasons progressed and end up getting canned.
The oddds are clearly 2,000,000,000,000 to one that any other show could possibly screw up an ending as bad as Lost did, and that's a fact...
Certainly a valid point. For me (and probably for many of those who chose Fringe) the ending of Lost cost it a lot of points as a show as a whole.
Fringe hands down. Lost still has bitter taste in my mouth. Hope Fox keeps Fringe going!!!
oh god you pple annoy me so much. So if fringe's finale is good, we are supposed to forget about the rest of the poor series and judge it on that. so for you lost finale wasn't great and yet you judge the entire 121 episode run on that? What a joke, that isn't even worth debating over!
The joke would be u. The final episode had no part in this. Lost was strong in the beginning but went down hill each season. I stand by my choice
Lost never went down, what went down was Fringe, How awful was season 3 of Fringe and its final season. Honestly, i don't understand how people can diss lost over fringe, i mean fringe??? X files was better and so was Alias.
Well, I would say that those of us that already voted for Fringe don't think it's a "poor series."

Many don't just judge the show for the flimsy finale. The problem is that the flimsy finale does something of retroactive damage to episodes whose quality was somewhat reliant on the down-the-road payoff being good. If, for you, it was, then you're free to feel that way. For others, it wasn't. Ergo the debate itself.
Fringe doesn't even come close to Lost, Lost was 10 times smarter and entertaining than Fringe and Alias was way better than Fringe.
For me, Fringe will never escape its comparisons. Is it as good or better than LOST, Alias, the X-Files (answers depend on who you ask). But LOST? It's hard to even know where to begin comparing it to its predecessors (I mean, no one in their right mind seriously compares it to Gilligan's Island), and that says it all. Fringe will always be an excellent example of shows with X, Y, Z themes. LOST is, on the other hand, something extraordinary, never seen before (whether you would argue for its excellency or not, it has innovation on its side).

BTW, it's this fan's opinion that LOST was about mystery, not about answers.
I want to just say Lost is "Lost in Space" not in space, but I'll play. The reason you don't see the comparisons is because the show is removed one ocean and two generations from the thing it was copying. I imagine the elevator pitch went something like this: "It's the Prisoner with an ensemble cast on an island instead of a village."
Lost in Space? Seriously? You actually sit down and ask yourself whether or not LOST is a better or worse show than Lost in Space? In general, I don't think audiences compare the two at all. Lost is not really in the same genre unless you want to yoke them under the title of (all-inclusive) speculative fiction.

Maybe you missed my point. I'm not saying Lost sprung like Athena from the minds of its creators, fully formed and original. I'm saying audiences don't compare it to predecessors because it was something totally different and innovative. They had never seen anything like it before. When I watch Lost, I don't say "this is just like Lost in Space only better/worse because XYZ!" Am I alone here?
Actually, you missed my point. Lost is highly derivative of a show called "The Prisoner" from the UK.

The bit about lost in space was just a reference to how hollywood is always copying a concept and putting it "in space". Just a joke.
Let me clarify the point below: Fringe has a ready yardstick by which its entire audience seems able and willing to measure it (a few really great shows in the speculative fiction genre. Heck, fringe cases = x-files). Lost is not something most of its viewers know how or where to begin measuring. It appealed to an audience much less interested in speculative (SF&F) fiction and more interested in character-driven drama (I can't imagine many have watched this 1967 show from the UK, regardless of how great it may have been). Despite what fanboys claim of Fringe, the ratings for the show speak volumes. Only a small group of fans (I am one of them, btw) tune in, and I'd wager most of them like SF&F (as I do). IDK, maybe I'd lose that bet, but I haven't read anything that would make me think differently on the matter.
I haven't watched the TV show you mention, but just reading the plot, I can't see "highly derivative". The cast of Lost seems a good deal larger, and the storytelling principles so intrinsic to Lost seem quite different as well (not to mention the plot seeming quite different as well...seems like the only similarity is the isolated location on the sea). But however arguably derivative, I'm thinking that most of Lost's audience isn't saying "Lost is just like The Prisoner only XYZ" either. When people ask "would I like Fringe? What's it about?", the answer is usually "It's like Lost or the X-Files only XYZ."
I can accept this defeat for myself and other Lost fans, however what bugs me is the fact that I loved Lost so much because of the mystery and NON QUESTION ANSWERING along the entire series. But now that so many people hate the show because of that, I'll never get a roller coaster ride as epic as the one I had on the island. Imagine seeing Star Wars in theaters back in the 70's and loving it as much as anyone loves it today, but when you leave the theater you come to find out the movie tanked and there wouldn't be another like it. Ever. Yeah, that's how us Lost fans feel, so thank you ever so much. :(
Sorry, fanboys. This is a silly discussion to even be having.

It's like asking which film is better, The Godfather or Scarface. Scarface (aka Fringe) is very good for what it is, but The Godfather (aka Lost) is in an entirely different league!
Exactly Aydin:)
My little friend begs to differ. Wanna say hello?
shika i differ with you 1000 times, bye!!!
I love both movies, and while I agree perhaps The Godfather is in another level, I enjoy more Scarface and I find it more...rewatchable.
And speaking of forgetting... Fringe, of course, some years hence, will be as forgotten as the X Files, it is now. The X Files are an icon of Scifi, and Fringe is in the same way in all world. Fringe is a cult, a science fiction saga, innovative and unforgettable. Excuse me, but "the others" are the only "the others". Fringe is the big winner, with over and irrefutable merits.
X files was even better than Fringe!
I loved this throwdown, and enjoyed reading most of the comments (even ones I disagreed with). Idid get a bit tired of keeping up with the comments towards the end, but the fact that I read over 400 comments shows how interesting the subject was to me. Obviously, since I voted for it, I think Lost was more worthy of winning, but I can understand why it didn't, especially since Fringe is as great as it is.
"I'm a million-percent invested in Fringe and love the way it makes me think, but I'll never forget how I felt about Lost and how it changed me as a television viewer." <--- Couldn't agree more!! I feel the same way! :)
It's very shocking that fringe won this. What lost has done hasn't been done in a century. It's a masterpiece, don't get me wrong i love fringe but to compare it to lost is hilarious. based on quality, character development I haven't seen in all my years lost wins hands down. I think people are upset about how it ended, fringe haven't ended yet so we can expect a different type of rating for fringe when it ends. Not everyone likes the same type of end, in my opinion I liked the lost end. Because in real life not everything can be explained, lost wanted you to feel that and just know that if it can't be explained know that your not going through it alone. Which they didn't go through it alone they all went together. The story went on but we can't see it no longer, just like when you die you leave people behind that they can't go where your going yet its not your time.
Load More Comments