TV.com Top 10: Characters that need to be killed off

They invade your television screen and make your skin crawl--they're characters that you just can't stand. We asked members of the TV.com staff which characters they'd love to see killed off and why. The answers will shock and surprise some of you, while others will nod their head in hateful agreement.

And just to be clear, this isn't an attack on the actors themselves (except for one rant on the number-one slot), it's solely on their characters--and the rants are from individual TV.com employees (hey, I love Steve Carrell).

10. Dr. Raymond Langston, CSI

Portrayed by: Laurence Fishburne
Says our anonymous critic: "Sorry, but Laurence Fishburne on CSI has just ruined it for me. I feel like he’s mentally texting while he’s supposed to be solving crimes."

9. Disco Stu, The Simpsons

Portrayed by: Hank Azaria (voice)
Says our anonymous critic: "The most useless Simpsons character ever. Seriously, what is his point? To wear '70s clothes and talk in the third person? In fact it can be argued that Disco Stu began the downfall of the show; adding extraneous characters like Stu did nothing but take away from the heart of the show. It's time for a Disco Stu inferno. Light that sucker on fire!"

8. Dan Scott, One Tree Hill

Portrayed by: Paul Johansson
Says our anonymous critic: "Dan Scott is possibly the most evil villain of all dramas, almost as bad as Benjamin Linus. He murdered his own brother, Keith, in cold blood by shooting him in the chest. He abandoned one of his sons, hit his other son, and called his daughter-in-law a slut. He’s a liar, a blackmailer, and an overall selfish son-of-a-bitch. For six seasons we have been waiting to see this bastard killed off, and now he wants it too. Let's do him a favor and buy him a toaster for his bathtub." (editor's note: "I don't know, this guy sounds kind of cool.")

7. Michael Scott, The Office

Portrayed by: Steve Carrell
Says our anonymous critic: "Steve Carrell's an annoying actor who always tries too hard and just isn't funny. Like Will Ferrell. Michael should visit a papermill and accidentally fall into something, like a chopper or pulper or whatever you call it."

6. Joe DuBois, Medium, Skyler White, Breaking Bad

Portrayed by: Jake Weber, Anna Gunn
Says our anonymous critic: "The husband on Medium, the wife on Breaking Bad. They’re personality-free characters who adore their spouses and suffer quietly while they’re ignored, until there’s a plot point about how they can’t take being ignored. The wives on The Shield and The Wire were like that, too, but those shows are off the air. They should all just go missing and see if anybody notices."
On to the top five!

5. Turtle, Entourage

Portrayed by: Jerry Ferrera
Says our anonymous critic: "The most annoying character on the most annoying show. Is there anything worse than a misogynist tool with an over-bloated ego? Yeah, we get that you are from New York, but that still doesn't make you a 'playa.' Every time he opens his mouth, I want to punch him in the face. Maybe Ari can rip his still-beating heart out."

4. Meg Griffin, Family Guy

Portrayed by: Mila Kunis (voice)
Says our anonymous critic: "Meg's story lines are boring, her voice is annoying, and do you remember the episode with the shower scene that involved, 'flossing'? Yuck. Meg is by far the least funny character on Family Guy and ought to start a support group for similar, un-funny characters like Lisa Simpson, Jonathan Bower (Who’s the Boss?) and Tim Meadows. I suppose every surreal comedy show needs a somewhat 'normal' character to offset the craziness, but then again, she’s still not funny, so I vote she be fed to giant Iranian goat-eating cockroaches."

3. Tracy Strauss, Heroes

Portrayed by: Ali Larter
Says our anonymous critic: "Well, she's already died like 50 times already (counting her twin sisters), so this wouldn’t be too big of a surprise--what would be a surprise is if she stayed dead. This is simply a poorly thought out character(s)--it's almost as if they had this hot actress and they just made something up to get her killer body in the show. Her one shining moment was grinding on a politician in her underwear--whoopdeedoo. Time to kill her off for good--Larter doesn't want to be on the show anyway. Hey, while we're at it, let's kill off Claire, Mohinder, and everyone else except for Sylar and Mr. Muggles. They rule."

2. Hurley "Hugo" Reyes, Lost

Portrayed by: Jorge Garcia
Says our anonymous critic: "Wait! Hear me out! We love Hurley, we really do. But given that this is Lost's final season, we know we're going to lose some of our favorites for good. Charlie Pace died a hero, and as painful as it was to see him go, it propelled the story forward and delivered one of Lost's most moving moments. We see the same fate for lovable Hugo Hurley--a hero's demise. And we have to admit: we'd love to see old Smokey try and lift him and up."

1. John "J.D." Dorian, Scrubs

Note: The only character to receive multiple unsolicited votes.
Portrayed by: Zach Braff
Says our anonymous critic: "I think most of us would be more than happy to chip in a few bucks to buy J.D. a chin so we can take turns punching him in the face. Don’t get me wrong--I’m glad effeminate, stupid haired, sissies have a role model, I’d just like to see him fall into a well is all. He is a disgrace to the great state of New Jersey and he likes the Shins. THE SHINS!!?? I vote for a long trip down a deep well or he get shot to the moon in a cheap rocket." And a second, less hatred-filled response: "J.D. needs to go so new actors can take centerstage on Scrubs, as long as they're going to continue that series."

Feel free to direct all hate mail in the comments section below.

meg cant die cuz they make the most fun of her without her they would be bored
I know who would top my 'Top 10 Idiotic Critics that need to be killed off'
No wonder the critic decided to stay anonymous, because hes clearly retarded, sounds like some metrosexual that watches glee and sex and the city and thinks that anything funny doesn\'t make good television.
J.D. is Scrubs without him the show falls apart, don't get me wrong season 9 is okay but it's nothing when JD leaves for good... you cant throw out the main character, because you might aswell cancel the whole show
most of the list is crap... many of the shows need these characters, in particular scrubs and the office to balance the humor or drama. the point of the characters are to make a quality in them which makes you tick and make you comfortable with them over time.
Michael Scott is the main reason The Office is what it is, he's the face of it. This list has some good ones but stuff like that sucks.
This list is friggin terrible. I don't know who the "anonymous critic" is, but boo to whoever is in charge of this website for hiring 16 year old girls as critics.
This list sucks. Kill off MaryAnne from True Blood already. Don't ever kill off Joe Dubois. And I don't want Hugo to die unless it is done really well. The rest of the shows I could care less about.
By far the dumbest list I've ever seen.
Yeah... lets kill off the main characters from several shows. That makes a lot of sense to me!
The Heroes list went too far. Only Ali Larter's characters need to die, cause they hold no relevance to any of the Heroes stories since season 1. In which, she didn't add much back then either. Give Peter more air time, after all he's the one who usually cap's the storylines. Plus, Peter is Sylar's foil, and in my opinion both are awesome. Except the latter half of the Villains Volume, Peter was annoying. The writers need to fix Suresh. He seemed to be just there, for no apparent reason in the Fugitives Volume. He's been useful most of the time in the other seasons. Claire, has also had bad air time too. Particularly season 2, but she does alright in season 1 and parts of 3. If she gets bad air time like season 2 though, I'd prefer the writers kill her off this time. Her Mom doesn't really add much value to the story after fugitives either. She can disappear. I'm still waiting for evil Ando. If Hiro goes, make it an epic end for him. He is one of the best characters, even if some of his subplots were boring. So in my opinion, which characters should be immortal from death in the story? Peter, Sylar, and Suresh (it'd be weird if he died). The others, yeah it'd suck if they died. But, it wouldn't harm the story. Suresh, didn't really play that big of a role in Fugitives, but his character has great potential.
can i just start off by asking to kill of whoever made this list? i mean, first of all, the majority of shows on here aren't shows that characters get killed off in! characters get killed off in shows like heroes or chuck or lost or degrassi(cuz they "go there") and usually the only other time a character gets killed off is when the actor portraying said character died in real life. like john ritter's character died in 8 simple rules with him, and when phil hartman, bless his soul, died, his character in that show whose name escapes but they used to show it on tbs died also. i mean, characters don't get kill off on entourage! which is another thing... why do all moderators of tv.com hate entourage? yeah its a little graphic, but its funny, it has heart, and it tells an interesting story. and if you hated someone on entourage, why wouldn't it be johnny drama? he is ten times more of a jerk than turtle is, who recently has got himself a girlfriend and is going back to school and wants to be somebody. drama has nobody special because he's a prima donna with anger problems. so don't you go be hating on turtle! and to the anonymous blogger: how much do you get paid per episode? how many emmys have you been nominated for? how many award shows have you attended? oh, that's right! NONE! so don't be tearing down people on shows when your life is so pathetic you have nothing better to do than make this list!
wow, this is a horrible list.
seriously what a stupid list. you could have made it more professional instead of this garbage. tv.com FAIL
Why the hell would you want to kill off J.D he is one of the funniest characters on scrubs.
please kill off the person who made this list
I agree with #1, 3 & 4...kill em off, they annoy the hell out of me :(
The only one I can agree with is #10. Aside from Csi's Ray Langston this list is more then a bit off.
I'd like to see that Simon guy from that horrible karaoke show killed off.Oh, wait a minute, he's a real person.Think they can do it anyway?
OMG WHO MADE THIS STUPID LIST??? PLZ TV.COM DO THE WORLD A FAVOUR AND KILL DIS STUPID PERSON OFF!!!!!!!!!
Michael makes The Office. Why the heck would you kill him off?
If you don't like hurley or J.D. than you are the antichrist. Especially J.D. You are a bad person.
michael scott? he's freaking awesome! what were you thinking? and yes, terrible article. (like... we didn't know what to write, let's make a stupid list)
There are Only 2 Actors I REALLY would like to see killed off cause they are AWEFUL at their jobs. David Caruso for one. I cannot watch him TRYING to act on any show. The other is the chick on In Plain Site, Mary McCormack. She has even ruoned a few other shows for me with guest appearances. I am sure both have some talents, but not as actors as far as I'm concerned.
The entire cast of The Closer should be killed off.
I could care less about the other shows -- but, Fishburne as a replacement for Grissom character ruined CSI for me! He is a movie actor and a darn good one, however he just dosen't fit the (pardon the pun) "Profile". The casting director should be "killed" off for this goof!!!
If nothing else, this article seems to have generated lots and lots of commercially viable comments.
This is the worst article I've ever read on Tv.com. The writer should be ashamed. Then 'Killed off.' I'll settle for figuratively, via firing, but I'd much rather a literal killing. What a hack.
bravo, and while ur at it why dont you suggest killing off ferris bueller, rocky balboa, and the girl from lil miss sunshine becuase they're just not funny anymore either. give me a break
people find Michael to be annoying...but I find him hilarious.
Aww, I like Scrubs. http://www.mediancs.com/rd_p?p=186122&t=9534&a=28194-sscrubs&gift=28194t was way better before it moved to ABC, though. JD *is* becoming a bit annoying now.
Tv.com should "kill off" whoever thought this article was a good idea.
Hero or not, Hurley best be alive in that series finale. And how can you kill Michael Scott? I agree to give him anti-annoying pills, but death on a comedy isn't funny.... Ali Larter needs to leave Heroes, any and ALL of her characters are annoying!
Joe DuBois isn't personality free! He's a great character who often gets some of the best lines in the show! Not to mention the fact that it's refreshing, for once, to have a show where the main character has a happy home life and a supportive spouse. Watching his character evolve from being a complete skeptic to embracing the abilities of his wife and daughters has been a fascinating arc. Killing Joe would ruin this series and make it no different from all the other carbon copy shows out there.
Most of the selections are too idiotic to conceive. I mean who really wants Hurley dead. He is one of the best characters.
horatio is so annoying i agree with mg_tv he does need to get killed off.
although i dont really like jd half the time i deff dont think he should be number 1 there are more annoying characters who should be before him
ok i agree with some of these... i just don't get how Horatio Cane (David Caruso) from CSI:miami is not on this list he is so annoying, he can't act(maybe he can,then the blame goes to the writers they suck), u can't take him seriously... n to the guy who said Emily Procter's character should die... at least shes hot
I agree whole heartedly with all of the characters from the shows I watch. But I don't think I could let Hurley die. I would rather Jack died, but then noone would care. The lack of character development of JD was the death of Scrubs, so once again I would have to agree for him in the #1 spot. Love the actor, love the Shins, but the writers left alot to be desired since season 3. JD should have ditched the blue scrubs and joined the big boys club eventually. Even people with a lack of self esteem can still become decent professionals in a field that they are expert in.
Any list like this that doesn't include Emily Procter's character Calleigh Duquesne from CSI: Miami is a joke. She is ridiculous with her holier-than-thou attitude, her white leather pantsuit while examining a bloody crime scene, her little smirks when she's shooting guns in the lab, and her explanation for everything related to ballistics...they make me have visions of her lying in a pool of her own blood as Horatio Cane (David Caruso) stands over her, dramatic pause of sunglasses to the face, gun smoking, and the perfectly delivered "Ms. Duquesne...won't be joining us today" or something, then "Won't Get Fooled Again" starts up.
You can't kill of main characters.

Who wrote this list?
Meg jokes are funny. Steve Carrell is hilarious. And Scrubs isnt Scrubs without the main character, is it?
Where the hell is Sonny Carinthos?
I actually thought Michael was kind of funny.
For the record I honestly don't think that Steve Carrell's Character Michael Scott needs to be killed off because without him there is no show The Office. I think though Meg needs to be killed off because we all know she is the least important character in the Family Character Cast and she does nothing for the show at all. I do think Mila Kunis is sexy but she does not belong as a voice actor her character needs to be killed off. Her character storylines are boring and go nowhere as well as she will never be accepted by any of the main cast or the supporting cast for that matter except creepy AV Nerd Neil Goldman who honestly I could care less for. So what is the point of having Meg she just hampers the show's credibilty with her constant lameness. I also think Disco Stu is just as worthless as Meg no elaboration needed.

If there is no J.D. there is no Scrubs. People are too used to J.D. being the Main Character and bringing in another Doctor Character would only cheapen the shows value. The way Scrubs is going to turn out will be the same way that early 90's sitcom Spin City turned out. When Charlie Sheen who I think is a good actor but does not belong on a show like Spin City took over for fellow actor Michael J. Fox. If J.D. leaves who will Sara Chalke's character Elliot fall in and out of love with? , who will Janitor harass after he leaves? Who Donald Faison's character be best friends with?, who will be Dr.Cox's whipping boy/Mentee? all of the Scrubs so called Universe will be thrown out of whack if J.D. either leaves or gets killed off.

Also, I think Laurence Fishburn is a welcome refreshing addition to the CSI cast because they need another mentally based crime solver like Grissom. I think that he is just as important as that guy from The Closer is to the USA network's ratings as well as Laurence being important to CBS's ratings.
"just to be clear, this isn't an attack on the actors themselves"
and then
"Steve Carrell's an annoying actor who always tries too hard and just isn't funny"
... er, ok?
It should be more like Hugo "Hurley" Reyes, yea? kthanksbye.
JD is the only reason scrubs existed as long is it was. This "countdown" also fails to realize some of these shows and characters are fake. This countdown fails and everyone involved with it should be burned in the ovens of a Nazi deathcamp, with me being the Nazi.
While I 100% agree with the 1. John "J.D." Dorian from Scrubs should die (something I've wanted since episode 1! JUST DIE ALREADY!!!), I can't for the life on me see any reason as for why Disco Stu from The Simpsons or Meg Griffin from Family Guy should die.

I love them both, they're both fun and they both add to the shows they're in.
Load More Comments