TV.com's Top 100 Everything of 2013, Vol. 7: Items 40-31

We hope you had a Merry Christmas or whatever other wintery holiday you celebrate! We hope you've been enjoying your egg nog or whatever alcoholic medicine you traditionally suck down during your festivities! We hope you got the presents you wanted or had fun celebrating other strange customs after spending $500 to fly back to your parents' house! May God/Lucifer/George Clooney/Harpitrax the Lord of the Salamander Kingdom/Larry bless us, everyone! What we're trying to say is, we hope you had a happy holiday, friend. But now it's time to get down to business: Here is the next installment of our Top 100 Everything of 2013.

40. Congratulations to Caskett

Another wedding—or at least a wedding-to-be? There really were a lot of those on TV this year, weren't there? But we couldn't do a Top 100 Everything list and not include the betrothal of one of our favorite couples. After a season-finale cliffhanger that left Beckett with a big question to answer, Season 6 opened with some charming confusion (delivered in true Nathan Fillion fashion) that eventually yielded a heartwarming yes. We can't but look forward to Caskett's future nuptials, not to mention whatever comes afterward ("Senator Beckett" and three children, perhaps?).

39. Veronica Mars gets Kickstarted

Well if the studios won't do it, then the people will. That was Veronica Mars creator Rob Thomas's reasoning when he launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund a Veronica Mars feature film. The idea, which EASILY reached its goal and then some, roused hardcore fans' interest and brought up questions of the project's integrity: Was it a way for fans to prepay for a film that wouldn't get made otherwise, or was it a way for a movie studio to avoid risking investment dollars? Crowd-funding could be the future of media production. Or it could be a huge mistake. Either way, it was worth talking about for weeks. (Also, we can't wait to see the result!)

PREVIOUSLY: Kristen Bell and Rob Thomas Want You to Help Pay for a Veronica Mars MovieWhat Does the Veronica Mars Movie Kickstarter Mean for You (and Your Favorite Canceled Show)?

38. Deb is no downer for a disappointing Dexter

The final season of Dexter was TERRIBLE, but often still very watchable thanks to Jennifer Carpenter's wonderful performance as the ever-troubled sister of the series' titular killer-turned-lumberjack. The actress had already been carrying the show for a few years, but her work in the first quarter of the final season was particularly strong, as Deb struggled to find herself after shooting LaGuerta to protect her murderous sibling. As Deb stumbled through life—doing drugs, killing dudes just because, and legitimately trying to take her brother out with a nice car ride off a bridge—Carpenter hit all the proper notes for a character that was always saddled with lame writing and stupid sub-plots. The second half of the season didn't do her (or anyone else) any favors, and Deb didn't go out as she should have, but she still deserved some kind of awards love in 2013.

37. Juliette Barnes, Nashville's town drunk

When ABC's countrified soap opera was first announced, all the attention was on Connie Britton's casting as music superstar Rayna Jaymes. But by the end of Season 1, former indestructible cheerleader Hayden Panettiere had become the main reason to watch, for her portrayal of spoiled 'tween-country sensation Juliette Barnes, a vindictive viper in a tight skirt. And the most fun moment of Barnes' run on the series came at one of her low points, when she washed down her troubles with a few cases of vodka and champagne in "Why Don't You Love Me?" Girl got her swerve on 'til she was jelly-legged and it was glorious.

PREVIOUSLY: Nashville: Let's Relive Juliette Barnes' Epic Night of Drinking Through .GIFs!

36. Futurama says goodbye with wedding bells

No stranger to series finales, Futurama mined both its cynical and sentimental streaks for what was definitely (probably) its final swan song. “Meanwhile” indulged in plenty of black comedy, as only a sitcom willing to violently kill its protagonist several dozen times in a single act can. But then the focus honed in on Fry and Leela, whose relationship has anchored many of the show’s strongest episodes, wrapping up Futurama’s 10-season run gracefully and poignantly.

PREVIOUSLY: Futurama Series Finale Review: A Glitch in Time

35. Spartacus says goodbye with a slaughter

Spartacus spilled plenty of blood in its finale, too, but without the help of any science-y doohickeys to reverse the carnage. Yet despite the deaths of most of the show’s main characters, including its eponymous hero, “Victory” earned its title. For three full seasons and one miniseries, Spartacus thoughtfully and unflinchingly examined power, freedom, loyalty, honor, courage, and death. And War of the Damned made for a uniformly excellent final season, driven by the contest of will, wits, and weaponry between the gladiator’s rebel army and the force of the Roman Republic behind Marcus Crassus and Julius Caesar. “Victory” offered a fitting crescendo, viscerally and emotionally satisfying and jerking more than a few tears—even before the brief final tribute to the series' deceased original star, Andy Whitfield.

PREVIOUSLY: Spartacus Series Finale Review: Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

34. Klaus the vampire slayer

The Originals struggled at first. After two seasons of the Mikaelson's presence on The Vampire Diaries, we'd grown accustomed to the devious, insanely powerful, and surprisingly tender-hearted siblings, but it appeared that The Originals was hobbling the characters' crowd-pleasing strengths in order to increase dramatic conflict and/or make them [shudder] relatable. But even though the show took a few episodes to regain some of that balance, everything clicked into place immediately when Klaus single-handedly brawled with 100 vampires AND WON. Because THAT was what we wanted out of his character: an unstoppable force who will require MUCH smarter planning to bring down. His rage and imperviousness make him even more compelling during his quiet moments. Plus that extreme power is just more in line with the 1,000 years of revenge and horror we knew he'd wrought beforehand. And most of all, the brawl was just 100 percent A+ entertaining. Like its title characters, The Originals is finally at full-strength, and we couldn't be happier.

PREVIOUSLY: The Originals "The River in Reverse" Review: A Melee of the Heart (and Fists)

33. That look on Skyler and Walt Jr.'s faces in Breaking Bad's "Ozymandias"

We knew exactly what kind of monster Walter White had become by the time the incredibly brutal "Ozymandias" rolled around, but Walt himself did not (and neither did Walter Jr., for that matter). As the walls collapsed in on him, Walt made a last-ditch effort to protect his family, only to see his worst fears realized: They were scared to death of him. That was arguably the moment when Walter White—family man and loving father—truly died, and arguably the most difficult scene to watch in the entire series.

PREVIOUSLY: Breaking Bad: "Ozymandias" Review: Family Feud

32. Sundance rises

For the last several years, AMC has been critics' main darling and the home of lots of great television, with Mad Men and Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead. But in 2013, its kid sister Sundance Channel announced its presence in a huge way and wowed us with a new wave of art-house television: Rectify was a great first original program, Top of the Lake earned a spot on many year-end lists, and excellent French series The Returned might never have haunted America if the network hadn't imported it. Sundance's next project is The Red Road, and it automatically gets a season pass based on the channel's now-solid reputation.

PREVIOUSLY: Rectify is the Best New Show You Haven't WatchedThe Returned Series Premiere Review: Living, Breathing Memories

31. Switched at Birth makes a bold move

The coolest thing done by an episode of television this year happened on ABC Family's Switched at Birth. Yep, Switched at Birth. The series, a youth-oriented drama featuring several deaf characters and actors, produced "Uprising," an episode that was done almost completely in American Sign Language. Sounds were muted and vocal dialogue was absent in an effort to show non-deaf viewers the daily experience of a deaf person. Yet it never felt like a gimmick, and never compromised story for what could have been merely a stunt. Outstanding stuff.

TV.COM'S TOP 100 EVERYTHING OF 2013

– Volume 1: Items 100-91

– Volume 2: Items 90-81

– Volume 3: Items 80-71

– Volume 4: Items 70-61

– Volume 5: Items 60-51

Volume 6: Items 50-41

Volume 7: Items 40-31

Volume 8: Items 30-21

Volume 9: Items 20-11

Volume 10: Items 10-1

jennifer carpenter is awesome!!
Nathan Fillion plays the befuddled guy to perfection. "Wait a minute, what?"
Jennifer Carpenter carried the last few seasons of Dexter. Without her, the show would have been unwatchable.
Castle's proposal, and Breaking Bad is also on my list over the best things on television this year. Hoping to see more Breaking Bad higher on the list. That and Fringe, POI, Arrow and Game of Thrones
i didn't like deb in dexter,she was okay in the early seasons but somehow she really annoyed me in season 7 & 8,i was actually hoping for her to get killed.
shame it had to take that long.

Yes for the sing language Switched at Birth episode, but Spartacus should of been a lot higher.
Really excited about whatever Sundance offers! Interesting start!
So glad to see Spartacus here! That was definitely a very entertaining, consistent show with a very satisfying finale. Series should definitely be shorter, not disgraces such as Dexter and its unbearable season 8!

Even dead, Dexter can still stir up a lot of debate. My God, can't wait to finally see it forgotten. I hate to see it mentioned in this list; sorry guys, Jennifer Carpenter was OK, at most (well, can't blame the actress, really, she did what was possible to be done with that lame writing). I never thought the show could get any worse after season 6, but season 8 took the cake! Season 6 even looks "consistent" in comparison. So glad I quit the show after episode 5 or so. Couldn't take it anymore!
My God, can't wait to finally see it forgotten.

In the year 2525, if man is still alive, if woman can survive, they may find..........

They've forgotten about Dexter. But not until then. If then.

Zager and Evans must have foreseen that Showtime and the ass-hats in charge would have made Dexter a FUCKING LUMBERJACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kudos to you, Grazzy, for leaving the last season when you did.
I'm sure Dexter will always pop up in random comments throughout history, the same way Lost does, stirring up all the hate, bad memories and implacable defenses.
You lucky dog... If you really quit after several episodes, then consider yourself lucky. As bad as you think it was, it only gotten worse at the end.
I know it did. I read a few reviews on TV.com. It was probably the worst finale ever. If my current self had traveled through time at the end of season 4 to warn me on what would have happened to this series in the end, I wouldn't have believed it! How something so good could go down the drain the way it did is beyond me.
Spartacus finale. Brilliant. Even people that stopped watching id suggest you watch the last two or three episodes. Good gear, Andy was missed immensly but Liam impressed as Spartacus. I was sceptical especially after the start to the second season but the third he came into his own
For me persoanally, Breaking Bad's 'Ozymandias' and Veronica Mars' Kickstarter campaign would have both easily made it into my top ten moments of television this year.
That all-ASL episode of "Switched at Birth" is absolutely amazing. You are correct, outstanding, oustanding stuff. I cannot wait to see what this particular show does next.
I had completely forgotten about the SAB episode and I think it's a good thing you acknowledged it! It really was a bold and succesful move in my opinion!
Totally agree about Dexter. Deb was undoubtedly the best thing about season 8.
Well... It's not like there was much competition...
I don't understand the amount of hate Dexter gets on this site...Sure, it was not season 1 or season 2 great, and the ending needed to be totally different, but "TERRIBLE"?? And although Carpenter was amazingly good throughout the series, she "alone" carried the show?? I mean the range of emotions and the intensity shown by Michael C. Hall, in whatever season you watch, alone is enough to make anyone a fan of the show....
Ok, so I am done with my rant, now let's the sheeple hate follow...

I always it find it funny how people keep saying this or that works for anyone.
It clearly isn't for everyone. Any show on earth you'll pick, you'll find at least 1 person that loves it and one person that hates it.

If you're asking how much were in either group, I think beyond the rattings that went downhill and the insane amount of hate generated for the last episode (as opposed to other series finales we've had recently) you'll see the majority people actually agree with the reviewer.

At least on the terrible part.
Ok..If you feel so strongly about it, I will change the "anyone" part with "most".. But yeah, I do feel that if you show any of the episode (even of the last season) to "most" (with air quotes) people who have not watched a single episode of the show before, "most" (again with air-quotes) of them will say that the lead characters acting was awesome.

With Dexter, I think people just got their expectations to some astronomical levels. I just watched the show as it entertained me, and I was delivered entertainment throughout... I mean some people cried foul when Dexter killed Hanna's dad..."SHOCKING. I serial killer killing some person who is sleazy and has been threatening someone he loves deeply"...

And yeah, even before I typed my post, I knew that the reviewer-agreeing crowd (see, I didn't use the sheep word) will come down on me..Although I can show some critics rating websites in favor of last season, but why bother.
It wasn't just this site, the last season of Dexter was hated everywhere.
hmm... And that response gave the network an idea to keep a happy ending for the movie...Yeah, for sure..
This comment has been removed.
Staff
As the person who wrote the reviews for the final season AND wrote that entry, I'll say that Hall wasn't in full phone-in mode, but he was close. "TERRIBLE" is being nice.
I don't suppose that reviewers view some extra contents that us lowly regular viewers don't get to see.. About Hall, whether it was 1st season or the last, his range of emotions always took me to a sociopath's state of mind. The scene where he was getting angry at Deb for trying to drown them, the anger and helplessness he felt when he saw Deb die in front of him, and even the satisfaction of killing the brain surgeon totally out of his comfort zone, were just a few examples of how good he was throughout the season/series. If just saying that show is now terrible as it has passed 2-3 seasons is called reviewing then I can review almost all the shows here..Just to be clear, I didn't drag the reviewer-viewer conflict in here first...
I can agree that Dexter did worsen as the show progressed but for me the last season was better than the two before.
I've spoke to a lot of people and there seems to be more people happy with the ending than against and i for one was engaged in the whole ep.

DEXTER SPOILER

Everyones problem from what i can tell was with what happened to Deb but for me that just added an unexpected element. It is the writers responibilty to provoke emotions which theyn did. I rewatched the show recently and Deb says if she was ever in capacitated she would want dex to kill her. Dexter going full loop at the ending suggesting his antics will continue is reassuring, murderers beware. Wouldn't change the ending because people dont like a Deb (a cop who's not invincable) getting shot and it was a brave way to go. also saying Deb carried the show is more of a minority opinion. Good work but i got tired of her crying.
LOL, what? I don't know what you're smoking but no, more people aren't happy with the ending.

Try to lookup a few people beyond your personal group of friends, it's not that hard even if you only settle for online opinion.

And the fact that you even mention Deb's demise is laughable. How on earth would it be the major complaints when most of us predicted it based on the teaser alone?

The complaints on the ending episode alone (leaving entirely the rest of the season):
1) The stupid last scene of him being a lumber jack
2) The fact that the finale has in effect, canceled the entire premise of this show.
3) The fact that he left his son with a serial killer who ran away from a bounty hunter in one of the dumbest scenes ever.
4) The fact that we realized the entire season was a waste of time, as most of the storylines we had all season gotten to nowhere (Masuka's daughter, Quinn and his supposed love for Deb etc)
5) The supposed killer he was after which was not only a snoozefest but breaking any sense of reality that actually managed to out do the stupidity of PB's second season.

I could go on for days...
More +
I agree with you. I'm actually glad Dexter is finished - not because I think the show was TERRIBLE or sucked or whatever the choice word of the day is, but because I got so tired of everyone on this site bitching and complaining about it.
I didn't care what the site/moaners said about Dexter, and so I enjoyed the whole series a lot. But yeah, reviewers do have affect on my mind..Like the plot of Modern Family is pretty much unchanged since it started, but after reading so many hate reviews, I sometimes feel like avoiding the show...But it seems my love for Dexter was much more to fall in this internet-hate-trap.
Yawn. Wake me when Dexter wins all the awards next year.

OH, that's right..............they weren't even nominated.

That's because Dexter SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you really basing the show's success on the amount of awards it get? Dexter won just two emmies in it's entire run, and that was once for Guest star. Well, like other shows I love, I loved Dexter through thick and thin, highs and lows, and no amount of awards or lack thereof is going to change that..
Even a clock is right twice a day. Good shows sometimes get nominated for GGs. No, the Emmys are a circlejerk.

Dexter will get no GGs next year because, well, it sucked.

And no, I'm not basing the show on the amount of awards. I'm basing it on those reviewers and viewers who saw it for the piece of shit it was at the end.

Most of all, I'm basing it on my very erudite opinion.

If you are basing it on your opinions, then you should start with implying that...Other than that, even Honey Boo Boo and Living with Kardashians have got great numbers and good ratings... I don't know why I am bothering to discuss this with people who think that awards/ratings make a great show. But if you want numbers, season 8 premier drew more than 3 million viewers and series finale drew 2.8 mil viewers...
I think Michael was still very good until the end. He did what he could with the material, and I certainly can't imagine that anyone else would have been a better Dexter. But he never really shined in the final season. Maybe it all became too much of a routine for him. Maybe it was just the bad writing. But whatever the reason was, he didn't give us any moments of awesomeness.

Jennifer on the other hand, just kept getting better. In the last two seasons, she was the best thing about the show. Her acting was better than Michael's. Deb was a far more interesting character than Dexter, because of the situation she was in. Dexter was in essentially the same situation as every year after season 2, but Deb's life had really been turned upside down.
Oh, and the ending was terrible. That's definitely the right word. But I agree that the show has been getting more hate than it deserves. Shows that start out great are judged far more harshly than others, sometimes so much more that it's ridiculous.
Shows that start out great are judged far more harshly than others,

As is just. When a show shines like a diamond amongst the piles of steaming fly-ridden crap that is current television, viewers with taste pounce on that show and EXPECT the writers and TPTB to, oh, I don't know, keep it going in the same vein of excellence for at LEAST two more seasons - Homeland I'm looking at you.

When, however, the writers and PTB sit back on their haunches after delivering a gem, they deserve all the execration that viewers with taste can throw at it. Yes, Homeland, I'm still looking at you, and yes, the two shows are interchangeable in a conversation.

At least Dexter had the decency to fuck with us, one season - The First - magnificent, the others concurrently crap and diamonds, ensuring that we loyal (read stupid) viewers stuck with the show, holding out hope that it was going to return to something approaching good television.

Masuka had a daughter-----------really?????

Then after EIGHT YEARS and all of that to give us DEXTER THE FUCKING LUMBERJACK?

It deserves all the heat of seven suns that we the viewers with taste can heap on it.
More +
Ending was completely a network decision, and it wasn't the one that many people agree with, including yours truly...Either he should have been dead, or have been the lesser popular ending i.e. Dexter playing the best mind games of his life and living happily ever after...But the in-between ending was just sad....
That said, Jennifer was no doubt outstanding, and came a long way since the show pilot. But, and this is just my opinion, I can somehow imagine some other female actor in that role, but I cannot imagine anyone else (hollywood or TV) replacing Michael C. Hall as Dexter. Those monologues are just irreplacaeble.
As much as I railed against him, I don't fault Hall for what he turned in at the end. Actors are sheep, after all, and, sadly, can't control their dialogue.

However, Hall seemed to be phoning it in in the last season, disgusted no doubt with the moronic writing (even putting in a remarkable mendacious performance in The Writer's Room), but Carpenter knocked it out of the park.

I'm WHAT? I'M FUCKING ALIVE ONE MINUTE AND THEN I'M DEAD, YOU STUPID $%^#@*&@#&^* #$#*&#$(*&????

Stellar performance by Jennifer.
Yes, I think Michael is more irreplaceable if we look at the entire series, but I still think Jennifer was the best thing about the last few seasons.
I agree about Michael C. Hall, he did the best he could.
I'm 100% on board the Sundance Channel train. Top of the Lake felt like discovering a hidden gem, especially the performances. Then Rectify blew me away. The Returned is at the top of my queue along with a few other shows I've missed along the way, including Enlightened.
Dissenting opinion: Skyler was the only monster on that show.
Maybe not a monster but definitely a very annoying character.
I think we've been over this one quite a bit, right? You're confusing the character's lack of likeability with an evil intent.
Confused? She has both selfish intent and a lack of consideration for others. She may be the literal embodiment of my definition of evil.
Staff
trollllllllllll
Chuckle. You can't be the real Cory Barker. Where is CoryBarker0?
curious about what you think: who is more "evil" (not the best term but it's getting late) in your opinion: Skyler or Walter? Walter did "bad" things but I could understand his reasons/motivations more than I could empathize/understand Skyler's reasons.
I'd have to say Skyler is more towards that end of the spectrum, whatever we'll calling it. You could argue that she sometimes had her children's welfare in mind, but you could also argue that she saw them as possessions or as an extension of herself. You could also argue that where she might have had consideration for two people, Walter would have had it for free, since the fool did what he did for her as well as his children (we'll take it as given they both were motivated by selfishness as well, so that cancels out). By the numbers, he's a better person than she is on the inside. But then, again, as you say, her motivations were hard to understand, which may mean she just wasn't a well realized character. If it had been her story instead of her spending several seasons as a prop, we might think she was the hero of the story.
skylar compromised her values due to greed.
she cheated on her husband (I had a hard time liking her after this).
she was a hypocrite
in her misguided (imo) attempts to protect her kids she played a role in turning them against their dad.
there is more negative I could say about her but at some points I could empathize with her (rare occasions).

I don't think she was "evil" (that terms doesn't sit with my beliefs). I think she was a flawed human (like all of us) but her flaws sometimes seems to outweigh her "good" side. I don't hate her but I don't like her. She did act like a monster at the time and did a lot of things that disgusted me. So did Walter but I could understand his reasons more then hers.

At times I felt sorry for her and at times I was disgusted by her. I guess I could say she was an somewhat interesting character because of the aforementioned feelings I had about her.
How funny that there are STILL people out there who are mad at Skyler for having this affair hahaha so stupid.
I would have Sex with him aswell - if Walter White is your husband you better get away. Walter did SO many bad things - how could anyone say she is worse??
And of course she tried to get the kids away.. people have to start thinking how they would react in real life - no one would say oii Walter you are soo cool and Skyler ah she is such a party pooper.. you go and make drugs!
His motivations were good where as hers were due to selfishness and possibly fear it definitely greed. At least we could understand his motivations: money to protect his family whereas her motivations were due to selfishness and greed. I don't hate her character but I dislike her character
This comment has been removed.
Spartacus deserves a higher spot. But I guess you can't please everyone.
I think the finale of Spartacus deserves a better spot than 35, but I realize its audience is not everyone, given the nudity and violence. Still, I watch it once and a while and the entire episode is pulse-pounding and genius, save perhaps the very end -- though it was a decent tribute indeed.
Caskett!!!!!!
Veronica Mars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Futurama!!
The Originals!!!!!
Futurama's final episode was very touching. Leela and Fry spent many years together and, near the end, decided they would love to spend more time together. It was hopeful. I have loved that show from my first viewing and my 10 year old son has too.
Side note- Sometimes Futurama was a bit raunchy for my boys but it was intelligent sexuality (if that makes any sense) so I was OK with it.
Spartacus\ final episode should be higher, it was considerably more moving than anything else I've seen on television maybe ever because of the fact these were real people, that fought and died for their freedom, and the tragedy is most of them didn't get to escape. And the show portrayed it all incredibly, putting a couple people's faces in front of them is an insult not only to television but to humanity as a whole.
EsmeBuffay I see your avatar is Mojo Jojo. Did you see new Powerpuff Girls is coming to Cartoon Network?
Is it really? New Powerpuff Girls!? OMG. When?
Some time in January not sure the exact day.
Wow..cool. I'll have to check it out.

Spartacus should have been higher on the list. It's one of the few shows in the past 5 years that maintained a high level of enjoyment without ever becoming a chore to watch. Which is more than 95% of the shows can say.
Dexter had been terrible for a while, the last season was essentially unwatchable.

The Originals has been great.
Dexter's final season wasn't anywhere near the quality of earlier ones but in my opinion it was good enough. Yet another example of people setting their hopes too high and the show not possibly being able to reach them (see my other rants about SHIELD and Almost Human for more on my stance) The final scene was ridiculous, and why no-one has done a Dexter/Monty Python Lumberjack mashup I will never know, but the rest of the season wasn't nearly as bad as other phone-in finales I've seen.
I love how people just assume how other people think.

No, we had no high hopes for the last season. In fact, I didn't think I could possibly lower my expectations any lower and they still failed to reach even those.

If you enjoyed it, by all means good for you. But the rest of us hated it because it completely redefined the words "waste of time" or "disregard for human inteligence".

I mean Seriously? You think the finale wasn't phoned in? Yeah, I would have loved to see how much effort the writing staff did for it:
Writer #1: So, how do we get Hannah to run away from the bounty hunter?
Writer #2: Oh, just have her stick him with a syringe to get away from him.
Writer #1: But wait, aren't they on a bus with many other people looking at them who would also hear every single word they are saying?
Writer #2: Yeah, we don't have time for this, we want to finish with the garbage asap. Move on.
Didn' t mean it to sound as harsh as it does. I usually don't state it quite so 'matter of factly' as that. I just meant that expectations seem to be ruining certain shows. Everyone expects alot from SHIELD based on Marvel, Joss Whedon and the success of The Avengers. Same goes for Almost Human (but for different reasons obviously).

I preferred Dexter's finale to other shows. Hated LOST's finale (a sucky 'conclusion' to years of essentially being strung along) to the point where I can't think of the show without getting angry and Smallville's (CG suit, terrible final encounter). Saying that, could have done without the last scene of Dexter. Would have preferred they left it ambiguous and let the fans debate it.

Off topic, best finale I think I've ever seen was Six Feet Under. Can't see many shows surpassing that for me.
Of course someone has done a Dexter/ Monty Python Lumberjack song mashup! Grumpyclown posted it in the comments to the blowies. I can't figure out how to link to a comment, but here's the link to the video:
Cheers! Can't believe I didn't find that earlier lol
I agree...
The final season of Dexter was TERRIBLE, but often still very watchable thanks to Jennifer Carpenter's wonderful performance as the ever-troubled sister of the series' titular killer-turned-lumberjack.

This and all of your paragraph re Carpenter - absolutely true.

I hope Gansa (see what I did there? I mixed up Gansa and Phillips but they are both the same) rots in hell.
That episode of the originals was brilliant klaus was fantastic
Yay Caskett!! I remember starting this season very worried about where this was going to go, but I dunno why I ever get worried. The relationship, for the most part, of Caskett has been easily the best thing about the show. The mysteries aren't always that great and sometimes the guest stars are meh, but the relationships from the bromance to the romance has always been awesome and fun. I can't way for baby!Ryan and Caskett marriage!
I was seriously expecting the photosynthesis paragraph.
Yes! I am disappointed in you TV.com for going for the long joke.
So why is it that Jennifer Carpenter Does Not Get Any Award?
So much injustice!!
So much true. So much stupid on the part of the awards staff.
I watched that scene from Ozymandias at least a dozen times... its impact never decreases.
I still feel traumatized because of Spartacus, lol. I miss that show.
Vikings comes back on in a few weeks. And if you haven't watched it yet, you should, because lets face it, there isn't much else on filling the unique void that Spartacus did. Maybe Banshee if you want equal parts nudity with violent action, but not a lot of swords and shields to be found there.
SPARTACUS!!!!!!
No need to encourage that Kickstarter bu11sh1t. Yeah I'm an uber-riche LA douchebag producer please give me money.....PLEASE 99% pay to make my movie... Hey, Rob Thomas f.u.!
We're getting close, of these ten I've seen most and I completely agree with you that they should be mentioned. BB will get other mentions but this was an epic moment in the series as it was the moment when Walter knew that the reason he had started all this wasn't going to happen (from the viewpoint of the family).

I had seen all the Sundance ones and I will keep on following them. Les Revenants is so good as it challenges you to think about issues and not just sit and look at a tv screen. haven't seen Nashville, but as a fan of Hayden Panettiere since heroes, I should at least see this episode.
Shout out to Deb Dexter & Top of the Lake!!
That Klaus fight was just an example of really bad writing. It would have been obvious to both of the people who came up with the plan that there was no way that it could succeed.
I didn't think it was bad writing it was more telling of Marcel's character that he was so arrogant and desperate to think that his 'vampire army' that he raised would be strong enough to take down Klaus. He stood back thinking he would be victorious before it became obvious (which to everyone else was about 2 seconds after the plan was hatched) that Klaus was gonna win. The only writing consistency that annoys me is that Rebekah knew Klaus' strength and ability and let Marcel continue with his plan, but again that might be telling of her desperate times, which as they say call for desperate measures.
Marcel spent enough time with Klaus a hundred years ago to know how much faster and stronger than a normal vampire Klaus is. So the plan should have seemed as absurd to him as it does to us to have 50 four-year-olds attack a strong adult psychopath one or two at a time and try to tie him up with licorice rope. There's no amount of arrogance that can explain it.

I agree that it's even sillier that Rebekah didn't see how bad the plan was, because the plan wouldn't even have worked against her.
We don't know exactly what Marcel knows or doesn't know about the original vampires. He doesn't even know about the white oak.

So he does get *some* room for errors (with the obvious exception of not using any of the witches he presumably controls) , but Rebekah? No excuses. I don't want to repeat myself for who knows how many times on this ,but there were loads of things they could have done that they already did on the parent show that they could have easily done.
Good to see that brawl of Klaus here. It was pure entertainment. What made it even more entertaining was the way expression of Rebecca changed. And we knew all hell was gonna break loose. And later that epic monologue of Klaus in the same episode made it one of the finest hour of television this year.
Yep, Jennifer Carpenter was the only watchable thing on the first few episodes, and then NOTHING became watchable after that. Anything Dexter related should not be this high.

Breaking Bad and Spartacus on the other hand, FUCK YEAH!!!
Happy to see a spot for Nashville in all this...

I don't watch Switched at birth, but that episode in sign language sounds interesting!
Not gonna lie, slightly disappointed that the intro wasn't a copy/pasted Wiki paragraph on photosynthesis.
Spartacus!!!!! That ending actually made me tear up (unlike the red wedding in GOT which will likely be in the top 10...love GoT but only the death of the dire wolf made me sad unlike Spartacus which was so much more heartbreaking imo).

BB: walter would never of intentionally/directly hurt his family~not physically and not intentionally. " That was arguably the moment when Walter White—family man and loving father—truly died,"--nope, he later called Skylar to take the heat off of her and tried to send Walter Jr and her money.

Jennifer Carpenter is a phenomenal actress. Deb was but best fucking character (have to swear when talking about Deb...lol).
Their treatment of Deb was arguably the worst thing The Dexter Writers did in the final season. And that's saying a lot. She, both Deb and Jennifer, deserved better.
Dying as a father and still trying to take care afterwards are separate feelings. He understood what had happened, that he was not a family man for them any more. As it was the one thing he had tried to be since the first moment, he must have died as the father/family man. This didn't mean he wouldn't try to keep on doing what he wanted to do: protect his family

And the rest, Deb was f*cking fantastic and the Sparctacus final was really dramatic.