TV.com Top Ten: Shows of 2008 that need fixin'

Remember that favorite show of yours that used to be awesome and now stinks? Yeah, we do too. We still call ourselves "fans" of the program, but only reluctantly. But it's not just one show; there are plenty. Here are the 10 we think still have potential but need a makeover STAT. And no, Heroes is not number one.

10. America's Next Top Model

Once a luscious guilty pleasure of catfighting and whining, ANTM is now just barely hanging. What happened to the show's budget? Forget giving the contestants a cheeseburger; someone give the producers some cash to bring this reality program back to glory.

9. Weeds

Season one was amazing--some of the best television on cable. Season two was great, but seasons three and four have put this drug comedy on a steady decline. (How can a show about weed not be awesome?) Weeds is still watchable, but we want the glory years back. Bring back Conrad and make Shane the young, biting karate kid he used to be.

8. 90210

If The CW wants to keep 90210 relevant, it's going to have to inject it with something that isn't cliche and predictable. 90210 is in danger of flunking out. Our suggestion: Look at your other teen-oriented programs for inspiration and put some more thought into it.

7. Entourage

It was fun to watch four guys palling around Hollywood in season one, but through this season we still don't really care about any of them. Can we just spin off Ari Gold and Lloyd and ditch the boys?

6. American Idol

Sure, everyone and their moms still watch this reality beast, but before it was everyone, their mom, and their grandma. The recent cutting down on the auditions probably won't help much, either. Can the new judge, Kara, assist? Probably not.

5. Smallville

We're not blaming the producers on this one--they're doing the best they can without the creators, Michael Rosenbaum, and Kristin Kreuk. We still think there may be some juice left in the tank for this one, but losing that much talent is like giving Superman a Kryptonite enema.

4. Grey's Anatomy

Off-set problems are flat-lining this once-dominant hospital drama. Are any of the actors actually happy to be on that show anymore? Poor T.R. Knight. And Izzie is now dating a ghost or something in one of primetime's most unusual storylines. Creator Shonda Rhimes says it's because of something like an aneurysm (*cough* Eli Stone *cough*)...so that's why this show is giving us headaches.

3. Saturday Night Live

We're not asking for Belushi, Chase, and Murray again... We'd settle for on par with Carvey, Nealon, and Hartman. The digital shorts may be the best thing about the show now, but that isn't saying much. Let's hope Chris Elliot's funny (and cute) daughter can replace Tina Fey.

2. Heroes

Oh, season one...you seem like an eternity away. Claire crashing her car to hurt her would-be rapist, the mysterious HRG, and no Maya--those were the good old days. Can Pushing Daisies genius Bryan Fuller touch Heroes and bring it back from the dead? We won't hold our breath.

1. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

What hurts us about this one is we use to absolutely adore It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. We knelt at the temple of the Nightman. After three seasons of brilliant, politically incorrect, subversive humor, FX's comedy ain't so sunny anymore. Do we blame new writers? Charlie, Rob, and Glenn's hectic new schedule? I don't know, but we need to blame someone quickly. Too much talent here for this lackluster season; this one stings more than anything.

Our list is no doubt different than yours... let's hear your take!

We all want heroes back on Tv... how to make this happen
i disagree with u butt
SNL fo sho needs fixin. its not funny and its not even worth watching at all pretty much now that Amy Poehlers gone. The Office is still good, doesnt need to be in top ten but i still think its getting less funny. the next season shud be the last be4 it gets bad.

also Family Guy isnt as good as it used to be but its been that way for some time now.
Are you INSANE ADK??? You have to stupidest taste in television ever, this is why we have GARBAGE EFFING SHOWS on TV like Greys Anatomy in the first place! Eck, what dribble bs that is! Always Sunny was and is currently one of the FUNNIEST shows ever aired on TV. EVER. SNL badly needs fixin, My Name Is Earl does as well, and heroes, just put it out of its misery. Smallville as well, done. Greys Anatomy should have never been a show in the first place, and that new 90210 show is a disgrace. Since when is putting 30 something year old chicks to play 16 year olds a good idea? I would toss Prison Break on the list too, to be fixed though, not killed.
first "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" was and still is one of the worst comedys i have ever watched... u can say its way to loud for me. tough i kind of agree with some of ur points I think that the 3rd season of heores was a good improvment and it should be on that list, also... well i dont watch bad shows cos well they are bad. but there are a lot of shows that need fixing be4 Grey's Anatomy(and i agree with the ghost thing) and Smallville which does it best and doesnt become worse the few last season were much better then the first... maybe dexter that had a very very good 2 seasons and one of my more favorite show's 3rd season was kind of a disapointment
I'm not sure I can agree with Sunny. A season that brings us the return of the Nightman in a play, even, must still have some genius. There was also the episode where Charlie, without health care, takes a second job and believes he uncovers a conspiracy, Mac and Charlie believe that Mac's father is going to kill them so they fake their deaths, etc. I thought this season was as good as Season 3, if not better!
Ditch Top Model, 90210 and Idol...the rest need some makeovers for sure.
What an awful list. Heroes is better now than it ever has been. Season 1 was awful because it took multiple episodes before anything would even happen in the show! Each episode used to focus on like 20 characters in a 42 minute time period. The show is a lot more focused now.
I'm a tad confused. You dis 90210 for coughing up every teen cliche known to man and then you turn right around and mock Greys Anatomy for daring to tell an unusual story. Not that I dont agree with you about 90210 but after all this time, don't you think Greys deserves our trust?
I agree with most of these (at least, the ones I actually watch) but this has been the best season of Smallville yet. It's finally living up to its potential. Yes, I miss Rosenbaum, but the Clark & Lana show is finally over, besides some minor loose ends they've been tying up in this season. There's been more character development in this season than in the previous seasons combined.

I'll keep watching Heroes (for now), but all the hero/villain side-swapping really got old (especially with Sylar, who was way more interesting as an antihero). And I can't help but wonder why they felt the need to give EVERY character super powers.
Soooo full of crap about Entourage.. I would die if they only had made one season
I've given up on heroes now... Season 3 is just horrible... :( I really used to love it!
Heroes will come back in season 4! Trust me on this! Heroes is back in business!
Honestly Smalville, Heroes and grey`s anatomy they are all 3 great shows. Meanwhile i don`t watch the rest of the list they are all boring
Smallvilles 8th season is way better than before and it's doing well. We're seeing a lot of new stuff and it's getting further along to Clark becomeing Superman. And more lois and clark, which is awesome. This doesn't need to be on the fix list, and they definately don't need Kristin back. Michael/Lex maybe but definately not Lana.
Otodat -- Clark can't fly until he becomes Superman, it's just one of the rules they have for the show (no tights no flight). And because we won't see him as Superman (that's beyond Smallville's scope as a show) we will not likely see him fly until the last episode(s). Also there are still restrictions on Clark and Lois's relationship set by DC/WB, but that looks to be lessening.
So agree with this on Entourage! I only watch it for Ari&Lloyd moments!

But as for Smallville I think it's fine, it much better than last year.

And.. Grey's...I myself don't really care about what's happening on the set as long as the show rocks! But just don't kill Izzy! Please!
Honestly, they really need to give Clark some flying powers and a suit on Smallville to inject some energy into the show. Either that or just make the segueway to Lois and Clark already, for fukk sake. For all my complaining though, I'm addicted to that show.

I dissagree with the number one "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" because it is the most easily fixable. I'm quite sure that the 3 writers are 3 of the smartest writers in Hollywood, and I have faith that they have gotten the feedback and will comeback stronger for this new season than before. I felt that they were really trying to be over the top this season in order to increase ratings, but now that they've been secured for 39 episodes, maybe they'll just focus on writing really funny material. Either way I still had 6 of the episodes (when you consider the double episodes as 2 total) as being some of the best of the entire series. The problem is that the rest were some of the weakest in the series. Quite frankly though, I don't share the opinion of most people here because the scale of these shows being "the weakest in the series" is compared to IASIP itself, and they are much better than anything that any normal show can do. Even in the weak or average episodes there were a lot of very funny scenes. Anyway, of all the series you listed, I feel that Sunny should be No. 10 because it is a show that is still high quality and hilarious and just needs to get back to what it did best. Seinfeld had a period like this once, but it fixed itself pretty quickly. This show is pretty much the evolution of Seinfeld, so one can only hope that the same thing happens, and they fix the kinks and become even better and come up with even better material.
This list is pretty accurate. Grey's and ANTM used to be sooo good. And although 90210 is a show I can't stop watching despite the cheese, they need to get creative fast. So you think you can dance should of made the list.
I miss the most Journeyman , this is big bill..... same is happening now to Eli Stone .Last year is very bad for Moonlight i realy dont know what is the problem with tv stations . Just cut great tv shows.
About shows from the list - i think thare is a chance to Heroes stand on feet again just like in first season :)
I miss MY NAME IS EARL and PRISON BREAK from this list... don't you? Both definitely jumped the shark for me this year, although I used to love both so much... and I have to reluctantly agree with someone here who said Family Guy lost a lot of its appeal.
Really??? This list looks like allot of bull to me, there's allot of shows on TV that need to be fixed.. like House? That show is starting to make me sleepy..

Yes ANTM is getting worse but I still tune in 'cause I love to see who gets kicked off.. Weeds could do better but last series finale made me a lil hopeful for the next season.. Grey's is just plain boring and I use it as sleep aid these days..

I most disagree on Entourage... I love that show, one of my favorite things to do is to chill out and watch it. What do you mean you don't carw about the boys?? I can't wait for the next series.

I don't watch many of the others but some of these are dead on. 90210 has something missing it just doesn't connect the way Gossip Girl does, I don't believe the characters AT ALL. ANTM and American Idol both need to end. I think Heroes can be salvaged but they are getting way off base. I love Smallville but we are on season 8 already and i'm TIRED of the build up! Can Superman just use some blue kryptonite snatch Lois up and start saving the world already?!? I'm glad Lana is no longer around she is dead weight but i'm ready to see Lex again...
You forgot Family Guy and House. Family Guy has been extremely dumbed down lately. It's not funny anymore or has a lot of originality left since after the strike. This season's episodes have been painful. And even though House hasn't been bad, this season, it's been kind of blah. It's just not as interesting as it used to be. The new team is interesting individually, but as a group, they don't click like Foreman, Cameron, and Chase used to. Getting the old team back would greatly help. With Heroes, I'm badly hoping Season Four will even be half as good as Season One.
Agree with most on your list but wtf is Smallville doing there? :O It has been without a doubt the best season so far!
I kind of agree with Heroes. Whilst the last few episodes of volume three were okay, the series is still lacking something and I hope someone will bring it back. I still don't agree with all the bad press over season 2 though, it wasn't that bad.
Saturday Night Live has been irrelevant since Phil Hartman left. And Tina Fey is one of the most overrated performers to come from there since Mike Myers and Chris Farley.
Heroes and Smallville?!? WTF?!? Are you guys kidding?!? Heroes fans / haters who didn't like this season obviously have had their brains removed by Sylar. The only thing lacking was the usual cliff-hanging standard. The best cliffhangers of the season belong to the Petrellis senior. i.e.: Angela telling Sylar on Level 5 that she was his mother and Arthur looking like he was about to rip off Hiro's head. Volume Three suffered from the writers' strike but Volume Three has been running like clockwork as if that clock had been fixed by Gabriel Gray himself! The crossovers with Volume One have been fantastic! The introduction and departure of various heroes and villains alike has been both wonderful and at times, frustrating. The old questions answered and the new ones raised keep this show fresh and interesting. Sylar may still turn into goody two shoes Gabriel, (I'm dying to find out who his real parents are), Arthur could return (he has Kensei's immortality too), did Daphne really see the Nightmare Man killed or was it a mind trick meant to manipulate her into chasing after Matt; what will become of Suresh; is the Catalyst lost forever; and when do we get to meet triplet Barbara and learn still more revelations about the Heroes universe? Consider me tuned in for Volume Four. I can't get enough of this show which is saying something cos I generally prefer non-fiction viewing these days. (No, that does not mean "reality tv" it means documentaries and the like). This season of Smallville has been the best yet!!! The show used to have the lamest plots, unbelievable situations and the crappiest editing from scene to scene of any hit show I've ever known (revisit those earlier seasons and listen to that music or speech suddenly get interrupted). This season has upped the ante with the Lois & Clark legend, made headway into the Justice League and introduced great new characters like Lex's personal devotee Tess "Mercy" Mercer and that icon of Supermanography - Doomsday whose origins they even revamped. Not to mention the bonus of ditching Kara (Laura Vandevoort) once and for all. Her constant vacant stare and her complete lack of chemistry with anyone but Lex (Michael Rosenbaum) was a constant thorn in the show's side (imho). Scrub these 2 off the list please lest they go the way of Veronica Mars, Moonlight, Blade, Stargate: Atlantis and other great shows canned just as they were hitting their strides and well before their time, simply for being too smart for the masses.
Smallville should not be on this list! This season has been my favourite so far and the last two episodes suggest that the best is yet to come. As for losing Kreuk and Rosenbaum, both characters made a return in the last episode. So where's the reason for concern? Although I do think this season should be the last...let it end on a high while it still can.
I agree with electric pepper on Heroes. I didn't hate season 2 like a lot of people, but season 3 was a bit disappointing. The writers (especially Bryan Fuller) are recognizing the errors of there ways and trying to get back to what the show is really about. Here's hoping two things.

#1. Heroes Gets Better

#2. The Viewership Bounces Back
Grey's Anatomy is fine the way it is.. I like Denny in the show but that story line really needs to end soon I agree with that.
I dont know if anyone's said it yet, but I think Numb3rs went down the tubes at the beginning of season three; it could definitely use a boost.
This list is ridiculous in terms of the numbering, im only like greys..
Hey, Smallville is back to me! This Season has been the best in I don't know how long! Grey's def. needs to be on this list! The only thing keeping me watching is Dr. Hunt right about now! Heroes is coming full circle, it seems like there are explanations now for some of the things that happened back to Season 1 which makes up for some of the other whack things that were happening recently. I don't think there's any saving Saturday Night Live. They briefly peaked with the whole Sarah Palin thing but now it's back to whack!
I've enjoyed this season of Heroes...and season 4 of Grey's was good too.
WTF. Who writes this crap? Smallville has been amazing this season! Clark actually has a brain, Chloe has a storyline, Lois is has become her iconic self and Clark is actually heading towards his destiny. It's the best it's ever been without Lana sucking the life out of every scene she appears in -- Lex leaving was unfortunate but the character was done. Also Tess is a formidible villian and very well acted. This show is waay better off without Miles and Gough, they were terrible show runners.

I agree on Heroes however. But I do firming believe Bryan Fuller can save the show, he correctly identified all of the faults with the new volume and pointed out what he will be fixing.
Heavenspr7ncess and the other "Heroes" S2 and S3 lovers are plain crazy. This season, the characters have changed personalities and sides more often than their socks! The thing that keeps me watching is hope.

Now I'm convinced that the writers need to pull a "Witchblade" and turn the clock back, because not even Fuller can dig the show out of the hole it's in now.
Agree with Sunny being at #1. I still enjoy the episodes but each season is a little worse than the previous. Where the hell is Prison Break?
No way with Sunny. How can you watch an episode about Charlie and Dee hunting for human flesh because they think they got the taste of it and not crack up? Entourage- well, I don't have HBO anymore, so I stream it online...I haven't had time to do that this season yet. Lost lost me after season 2. Zzzzz.
Grey's definitley deserves its spot on the list but Heroes need to be taken off and Prison Break needs to be added.
I totally agree with Grey's, Entourage, and Heroes. Prison Break should be on this list.
SMALLVILLE is the best show so remove it from the list!!!
All of these shows are spot on.

Although I'd add Prison Break to the list for sure. House and The Office both need fixing as well. I miss the old team on House, along with House's entertaining discussions with patients in the Clinic. The Office is over the top and just plain stupid.

Dexter and LOST have been falling behind as well. Dexter I expect to get back in the game, while things don't look to swell for LOST.
there is nothing wrong with sunny... the WILDCARD! episode was imo the best yet..... As for heros thats what they get for bashing the greatest show ever .. Lost...the first season is always the easiest
Heroes needs some serious fixing. This show needs a complete overhall. Entourage and Sunny had a mediocre season, but they were still leaps and bounds above most other shows, every season just can't be spectacular, the same could be said about Dexter. Weeds is just different this season not bad just different. The rest of the shows on this list just need to die, quickly.
Smallville is great this season so remove it from the list. Also Heroes is pretty good this season.
I agree with Grey... This season had been so weird with the whole Izzie's story... The 2 reasons that I still watched Grey are: 1. I still have a little faith that Grey will comeback to how was on season 1 and 2 and...

2. I'm a die hard fan and I always watched the whole series from the pilot to the end...
Are you kidding me??? Smallville's better than ever this season! I love PS3!
Heroes needs fixing, no doubts about that, but I hope for the best. Grey's Anatomy, now that's becoming wierd, with the ghost thing. It's way out of the line and in my opinion can only end badly, with another main character dropping out of the show. As for Smallville, well, there will be no 9th season so... why bother? Actually, I do care about it because this is one of my favorite shows, but I can't see where it is going. I think we can expect to see Clark eventually flying around with its new costume, and maybe joining the other superheroes club. Not very much of an ending, anyway. But I'll keep watching and hoping for the best! I'm an optimist.
Load More Comments