TV.com's 12 Days of Clips-mas, Day 2: The Winchesters Celebrate a Supernatural Christmas

To help you get into the holiday spirit, for the next 12 days, we'll provide you with one classic holiday TV clip. We've scoured through our archives and your comments on our story in which we asked you to name your favorite holiday episodes, and came up with a list of dazzling, heartwarming, and totally weird holiday clips. And instead of sharing the same ol' episodes we've all seen (don't get us wrong, we're totally down with some Festivus and Holiday Armadillo) we erred on the side of strange and obscure to keep things interesting.

Day 2: Supernatural's "A Very Supernatural Christmas"

As cross-country demon hunters, Sam and Dean Winchester don't often get to relax. They usually have one eye on monsters and spooks and the other on something else (Sam: books, Dean: sandwiches and booty). In "A Very Supernatural Christmas," Sam and Dean kill Santa Claus (don't worry, it's an evil version) while flashbacks of their rough childhood unfold. But in the end, with Dean thinking it might be the last Christmas he gets to spend alive, the guys enjoy a rare instance of peace and swap gifts they picked up from a nearby gas station. It's a real moment where the best things are left unsaid, and Jared Padalecki's and Jensen Ackles' performances are a sweetly sentimental reminder that Supernatural really hinges on family and the bond the two bros share.

TV.COM'S 12 DAYS OF CLIPS-MAS

Day 12: Strangers with Candy Does Some Fightin' Around the Christmas Tree

Day 11: Santa Goes to Night Court

Day 10: South Park's Original Santa vs. Jesus Throwdown

Day 9: The Golden Girls Discuss Blanche's Lust for Santa

Day 8: The Nightmare-Inducing Nutcracker Fantasy

Day 7: Liza Minelli in The Dangerous Christmas of Little Red Riding Hood

Day 6: The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour

Day 5: John Denver and The Muppets: A Christmas Together

Day 4: Community's Holiday Brawl

Day 3: Malcom in the Middle's Mall Parking Lot Bumper Cars

Great episode!
Depressing. One day left, and not a single one of my favorite TV Christmas eps made the list.
Did anyone else put Supernatural in their top 5 shows of 2011? I was kinda disappointed when I found myself alone in this.....yeah, there's been a dip since season 5--but imho, even if Supernatural is past its prime, it's -still- better than most everything else!!!

Have to disagree with you here. :)

I don't think there has been any dip, for I loved season 6, much more than 5.

I think Supernatural still has a lot to give. The sky's the limit, the show can go really anywhere with the excuse of the supernatural influence.

The two lead stars are young and seem to still enjoy playing Sam and Dean Winchester, and unlike Smallville where the star had to eventually grow up to adult Superman before Welling became too old, the Winchesters have no such limit and theoretically could go on for years if the cast and crew want to.
I put it in my top 5! Outside of CSI-LV, Whos left Standing and Hells Kitchen and Cops Supernatural is my top Friday night movie. Although in opinion I have to disagree with you about Supernatural being Past it's "Prime" Smallville went 10 years with its fans Im sure if they -Jensen, Jim, Jared, Misha- wanted to and if the writers wanted to they could go past that. But I will agree with you that it is better then basically anything else on TV even Grimm holds nothing over Supernatural Thats just a lame cut off of Supernatural. Because some "Comedy" Actor wants attention because there being ignored and passed on anything and he cant get any good "Comedy" scrips
Love this ep. One of my favourites. Totally agree that "Supernatural really hinges on family and the bond the two bros share."

i love this episode! i love earlier supernatural in general, it wasnt the same after season 5
I might have agreed half way through s6, but I am loving s7. I think it really has recaptured the feel/ vibe of the early seasons.
It kinda had me worried after the first 2 with the low ratings but being Supernatural and being Jensen and Jared I knew they'd raise there ratings and they did <3 so Yes aside from Castiel and Bobby being gone I love how the boys are handling things and I love where this is going so far I just wish they didn't get rid of Cas or Bobby to make it go back to its "roots"
LOVE this episode. One of my favorite episodes of Supernatural! As usual, Jared and Jensen knock it out of the park:)
One of my favorite episodes from the entire series. I miss the feel of the earlier seasons.
I agree, the show is amazing
Absolutely beautiful and heartbreaking.

Everything said with glances and "non-words"

They merit an Emmy just for this clip alone.

Jared and Jensen are just so unfairly ignored by the "powers that be."
Actually the Emmy awards are reserved for crap shows like Mad Men.

God forbid an actually entertaining show like Supernatural get an award it so richly deserves.
Well, I have it on good authority that Award Critics do not assign the prizes for the "entertainment value."

They look for other things such as "artistic qualities" etc, things that are usually associated with more "boring" shows.

Their arguement is that reality shows for example, give entertainment but are not award level tv.

That being said, Supernatural does deserves multiple awards for the acting, stories and sheer hard work which is needed to produce it, by the whole cast and crew, and for the pleasure it gives to it's viewers.
It definitely makes sense for artistic quality to be a factor in the decisions being made when choosing these awards. However, the issue I have is that nowadays, artistic quality is more of a consideration than entertainment.

In this case, I brought up Mad Men because I just didn't find it interesting and it's beyond me why it wins the number of awards it does. And this comes at the cost of shows like Supernatural and Fringe where the performances are just as good (if not better), with the added bonus of entertainment. This taboo associated with sci-fi/fantasy shows is inexplicable. Hopefully, Game Of Thrones will change this trend for the greater good.

On a separate note, I think reality shows represent the television equivalent of human excrement.
Completely agree with you.

I think the Critics should change their parameters a bit to enable shows like Supernatural to be considered for these Awards.

It's not fair that good shows and great acting should be penalised just because they are considered sci-fi or horror and thus less "artistic."

I fear that at the start of the tv seasons the critics already know what shows they're going to go for and they probably just sort of ignore the rest without giving them a chance.

Reality shows are rubbish and they have nothing of "reality" anyway, as they are as scripted as any other show although they try and make out they are not!

Game of Thrones has a good chance, first of all because it is penned by a world-famous author and the critics will consider that, then it's not srtictly sci-fi or horror, but more a Lord of the Rings show and that took plenty of Awards.

I, too, was bored by Mad Men.
I wouldn't call Mad Men a crap show. Not as fun as Supernatural, sure, but that show has a lot going for it. Anyway, it's all a matter of opinion.
I watched Mad Men once, but fell into such a deep slumber they needed a defibrillator to revive me. Never again, I said. : P
Eep! I was afraid I would step on a few toes. After all the hype, I tried to watch Mad Men. Actually I tried and failed multiple times. The show is a massive snore fest.

If someone bitch slapped Don Draper multiple times and then bonked him on the head with an anvil, maybe I'll try and watch it again.