TV.com's Network Power Rankings, Early March 2013: Who's On Top, Post-Sweeps?

Happy March, friends, and thanks for joining me for another edition of the most important power rankings on the internet, TV.com’s Network Power Rankings! Quick reminder for those of you who are just tuning in, the power rankings work as follows: Using a complicated methodology including ratings (Nielsen overnights, DVR numbers), business proceedings (pilot orders, scheduling moves, personnel decisions), buzz (social media, “viral” moments, various other bouts of goodwill) and quality (good shows, episodes), I evaluate the performance of a smattering of networks (really any networks) over the previous two weeks.

We’re in post-sweeps mode. Last time around, AMC went from unranked to top of the mountain. Really, really popular zombie shows just have that kind of power. Can AMC hold on to that spot? Which networks are making their way onto the list first time? And will I stop writing in a way that suggests I’m auditioning to do voice-over work for a decades-old low-fi sci-fi serial? You’ll find answers to all those questions and more in this edition of the network power rankings.

1. History (previous rank: 8)

Last time, some folks were upset that a single show pushed AMC to the top of the rankings. Hopefully this one sits with you better. 2013 is a crazy time. History—yes, History—just debuted two new programs (The Bible and Vikings) that garnered 13 million and 6 million viewers, respectively, in their original airings. Those numbers will go up even more with additional airings and DVR figures. For a quick comparison, only three shows on broadcast topped The Bible’s 13 million viewers figure last week, and Vikings’ 2.5 in the 18-49 demo would put it in or near the top 25 among broadcast shows as well. If you didn’t know yet, the broadcast TV model and the cable TV model are going in different directions. I’m not too interested in The Bible, but Vikings is pretty solid. It’s very cool that A.) History can make shows like this and B.) People will watch them.

But it’s not just scripted fare that is helping History blow up. Pawn Stars, American Pickers, and Swamp People were all also among the most popular shows on cable over the past few weeks. Based on these figures, it’s clear that History is using its excess “reality” TV money to produce some good-looking scripted programming. That’s smart business, even when you’re airing a show called Swamp People.

2. AMC (previous rank: 1)

Not a big drop for AMC. The Walking Dead’s ratings are stable and still very high and the show continues to do well in places like GetGlue and on Facebook and Twitter. And more importantly, the last few episodes have been pretty damn good. It’s unfortunate that the show is dealing with more showrunner turnover, but maybe it won’t be so bad after all.

AMC is buzzing as well, thanks to a swag teaser for the new season of Mad Men (R.I.P., Fat Betty) and some solid casting news. Pushing Daisies' Lee Pace is returning to TV in a pilot from Breaking Bad EP Mark Johnson, while Jamie Bell is coming aboard the network's existing project from Nikita’s Craig Silverstein. For a while there, it seemed like AMC had no idea what they were doing. Maybe, just maybe, they’ve started to figure it out.

3. ABC (previous rank: 6)

It's been a nice couple of weeks for ABC. Despite a number of holes in the network's schedule, Once Upon a Time, Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal, Modern Family, The Middle, Suburgatory, and The Bachelor make a nice group of shows. Revenge is in the tank, ratings-wise, but at least the last few episodes hit the mark creatively. And we can’t ignore the bump in viewership that comes with airing the Oscars, the red carpet pre-show, and all the other preview/review programming that come along with it. You might have hated Seth MacFarlane, but the telecast did well, particularly in the important demos, and made all kinds of noise on social media, to boot.

And, as usual, ABC is having one heck of a crazy pilot season, giving jobs to all kinds of appealing actors: Patrick Fugit and Naveen Andrews (both on Reckless), David Spade and Rachael Harris (both on Bad Management), Hannah Ware and James Cromwell (both on Betrayal), Samaire Armstrong (The Returned), and Seth Gabel (the unbelievable-sounding Gothica). It’s ABC, so who knows if any of these shows will be good or even make it to air, but we can always count on the network to do the weirdest, most entertaining stuff during pilot season. That matters here at the power rankings.

I’m still undecided about whether or not Zero Hour’s cancellation is good or bad. Thankfully we’ll probably get to learn about those clocks sometime this summer.

4. CBS (previous rank: 2)

The definition of steady. The ratings for Golden Boy weren’t great, which is unfortunate because the show has some promise. Chi McBride just cannot catch a break, even when he joins a CBS procedural. Elsewhere, though, news is better for the Eyeball network. CBS, thanks to the Super Bowl, the Grammy telecast, and tons of powerhouse shows, won February sweeps pretty easily (and for the first time since 1998).

There will be lots of people out there who are happy with the news that Marg Helgenberger is returning to the network; fewer will be jazzed by by Sam Neil joining a CBS pilot, but that’s still kind of cool. I just remembered that Alcatraz was a thing.

5. A&E (previous rank: N/A)

People really, really love Duck Dynasty. That is all.

6. FX (previous rank: 5)

As I’ve said before, great shows matter. FX has some really great shows on its airwaves right now. These shows, particularly Justified and The Americans, are doing well socially and it’s nice to know that both The Americans and Archer have been renewed for next season (I assume that with Justified it’s just a matter of tinkering with certain contracts and budgetary concerns; the show will be back for a fifth season without question). And I don’t know about you, but a time travel horror/drama from Kurt Sutter and John Shiban sounds like the one of the coolest projects in recent developmental history.

7. HBO (previous rank: 4)

This is mostly a spot for me to tell you how great Enlightened was in Season 2. Just a masterful season of television that almost anyone can enjoy, even if they think that they won’t. The ratings were not good (/understatement), but here’s hoping that the groundswell of online support means a little something to HBO. They always say quality matters first; this tests that.

But I don’t want to short-shift HBO in the buzz department. Those Game of Thrones trailers and posters are getting lots and lots of people jazzed for the end of this month, and you might be the kind of person to get excited about another teaser, the one for HBO’s Liberace biopic starring Michael Douglas and Matt Damon. Soderbergh!

Also cool: A Louis C.K. special set for this April and a Ryan Murphy-directed movie starring Jim Parsons, Taylor Kitsch, Mark Ruffalo, Matt Bomer, and Julia Roberts (hey, it will either be amazing or horrible—well, probably both).

8. FOX (previous rank: 3)

Those of you who thought FOX was ranked too highly in the first two editions of the power rankings, this is for you. The renewals of The Following, New Girl, The Mindy Project, and Raising Hope aren't the most surprising—Fox has very few scripted shows on its schedule, after all—but they're pretty good news. The Following isn’t for everyone and has a number of problems, but it’s a steady anchor for the network on Mondays. I’m guessing Fox will at least try to convince Kevin Bacon to do more episodes so that they can bring the show back earlier than January 2014. Bringing back Raising Hope means that Fox is either going to make another run at the four-comedy block, or—and more likely—put comedies on a couple of different nights come next season. Fox decided to air both New Girl (a.k.a. TV’s best comedy) and The Mindy Project (a.k.a. TV’s most quickly improving comedy) after American Idol come April, which is smart. I like that Fox has confidence in New Girl, but it was never going to dominate a night like Fox hoped. Giving it and The Mindy Project some additional eyes in the spring is a good move and will allow Fox to re-evaluate both series before the Upfronts in May.

The moderate surprise here? Still no Glee renewal. It’s certainly coming, but Fox is probably going to want to cut costs for a show that is doing well, but not burning up the world like it was during the 2010-2011 season.

On the negative side of things, Fox failed to win sweeps for the first time in years, which is part of the reason for the dip here. I touched on this last time, but buzz-wise, I feel like far fewer people care about American Idol right now. The ratings are fine, but it’s not the phenomenon it once was—or even what it was like two seasons ago. With The X Factor limping around in the fall as well, Fox might want to start at least thinking about a future without a schedule so dominated by singing competitions.

9. USA Network (previous rank: N/A)

Psych is back! And even better, the ratings for the Season 7 premiere were up over those for the Season 6 premiere. That’s impressive, especially after the extended break. Fans made sure that the show moved the needle socially as well. The season of White Collar  that just ended was a little divisve (or maybe I just didn’t care for it as much), but it performed pretty well. And as always, we cannot forget the ratings and social media successes of WWE’s Raw, which is doing especially well now that so many recognizable faces are participating in the road to Wrestlemania.

On the buzz front, the new extended preview of Jeff Eastin’s Graceland suggests that the network has another nice project on tap, one that steps outside the typical formula just enough to be intriguing. Can’t wait for that one this summer.

10. ABC Family (previous rank: 6)

ABC Fam falls a few spots, but that's mostly because other networks have had slightly better or buzzier things going on. Bunheads finally closed out its first (and perhaps only?) season, Switched at Birth did a really cool all-ASL episode this week, and Pretty Little Liars and The Lying Game are doing their crazy/entertaining things. Getting an Entertainment Weekly cover certainly doesn’t hurt your buzz-factor, though.

11. Univision (previous rank: N/A)

So far, I've been reserving this last spot for a more random or personal choice; might as well keep that going. I must give some props to Univision for topping NBC during February sweeps. It’s so easy to laugh at NBC’s plight (because, ha), but Univision’s successes are also important. Bravo!

There you have it, folks. Which network tops your list based on what they've been up to over the past two weeks?

Banshee and now Vikings are the best new show around!
Maybe I should check out these (scripted?) History Channel shows. Vikings sounds more interesting than The Bible, but both COULD be good, I suppose. . .

TWD and the constant change of showrunner is getting on my nerves, but AMC is on my "nice" list anyway thanks to the impending return of Mad Men. . . and LEE PACE! Love him.

ABC is really lame right now, but question. . . Is anyone still watching Once Upon a Time and enjoying it? For some reason I liked the first season a lot, then watched the first episode or two of this season and thought. . . "eh". And stopped. Is it any good?

That CBS pilot with Sam Neill sounds interesting. I've loved him since the old tv movie "Merlin" in which he played the title role. So good. Recommended if you like the Arthurian stuff!

What the fuck is Duck Dynasty?

FX is KING! Love Justified and Archer, and that pilot DOES sound good! And I promise I'm going to check out The Americans, at some point, because everyone say it's good. . . but I don't know, Felicity as a Russian spy doesn't get me going. PS, On a related premise, I only watched the first season of Homeland, and then stopped because I was bored, even though I LOVE Claire Danes AND Mandy Patinkin, (and that hot actress from Firefly, drawing a blank on her name,) so don't know if it's a good fit for me. Thoughts?

HBO: Yay Game of Thrones! And some awesomely famous and/or extremely hot (Matt Bomer) actors in upcoming projects, so looking forward to it. Matt Damon is the best.

I'm not watching anything on Fox right now, but I'm glad everyone is enjoying New Girl, as I really like the cast. I've got to give it another chance. I love Kevin Bacon, but still don't know that I care about The Following. Otherwise, I guess I avoid Fox whenever I can. I may be holding a grudge for too long about their handling of multiple sci-fi projects in the past. I mean, I'm at least proud of them for their handling of Fringe, for once. . .

Staff
I'm going to watch Vikings this weekend; the first AND second episodes are on Hulu.

RE Once: I'm over it. I really don't have the time for it, but even if I did, dunno if I'd watch it.
Cool, I may do the same with Vikings, and I'll probably stick to my guns and ignore OUAT. There're other, better, things that I haven't watched yet, anyway.
I voted for FX because I'm loving The Americans! Do you think Starz will ever be here? Spartacus is like TOP 3 on my list of "must see" shows right now... and Congratz Cory, this Power Rankings is the awesome!
Staff
I considered Starz this time. I'm guessing it'll make an appearance, at least near the end of the rankings, by the time Spartacus ends (and I'm guessing Magic City begins again).
The CW airs my favourite shows, TVD, Arrow, Supernatural.

Reading these comments, I really think I need to give this Banshee a go.
Staff
I love most of the shows on The CW; they just don't perform particularly well.
"New Girl (a.k.a. TV’s best comedy) " For some reason, this made my day! I'm glad I'm not the only one that considers New Girl to be the finest comedy this season.
Well when FOX network was formed in 1986, it was a bad network. Then UPN and then the WB following afterwards. Right now, NBC is not doing well at all, and look at FOX!
History channel cheated ....also I think Showtime should be on this list ...Californication , shameless , and house of lies
I am curious exactly where NBC ranks. It's made the mistake of aiming for the same audience that's not bothering to watch TV anymore. I'm a little surprised that Smash hasn't been cancelled yet, although I am glad for the fans sake to see the network going ahead and airing the episodes. They need to do something radical to get back into the race.

It does seem that one or two shows on each channel are carrying the channels. And it should also be noted that many of the big network shows are running a lot of repeats this time of year.
Staff
This list would have to go a lot further than 11 for NBC to make it. But by the end of the month, once Voice and Revolution return, it could be a different story.
FX should pick-up The Strain. That will get them up there
With shows like The Americans, Justified and Archer FX should be in somewhere in the top
This comment has been removed.
Staff
#6 is like half-way, not bad, right?
Also, History Channel's tagline should be "now slightly relevant for a few weeks!"
So, I'm voting for USA for the win, everything it's done in the past few weeks has felt like it had substance, even the stuff that didn't crush it. It closed out Suits a little oddly but it brought back Psych just in time, it closed out the season of White Collar quite well, and it's got a feeling that we won't have to wait for goddamned ever to get more goodness out of 'em.

CBS keeps chugging along, but an odd mix of reruns has caused them an arbitrary slip.

FX has been going strong with more great episodes of Archer and Justified, but I feel like those shows are becoming isolated from the rest of the content and it's going to get worse when the network splits into comedy and drama channels.

Comedy Central keeps just barely drooling out enough content to keep them relevant.

Fox feels like it's tripped over its own toes, and then oddly renewed a number of shows that seemed destined for cancellation, as if they don't have any more bullets in the gun. They also remembered they had developed a whole other show for this midseason and are going to vomit it out soon.

ABC really doesn't seem relevant aside from the Oscars, which was what, a million weeks ago? They've aired a lot of reruns and taken part in Midseasoning (OH THE CARNAGE!) which is bad form.

I'm going to name a worst network, and as much as I want to give it to The Esquire Network (hey idiots, you're a single cable station, not a network) for the stupid crap they're developing already, they don't technically exist yet. So the Worst Network Ranking goes to... Syfy! Yes, Siffy, the network for nobody. What do you do, siffy, what do you stand for anymore? You don't have any science fiction, you don't have any fantasy shows, you just suck at your message, you have shows about idiots running around the woods looking for things that don't exist, and running around empty buildings looking for things that don't exist, and fake sports, and awful movies that are clearly meant to trick foreigners into wasting money, and now you have ROBOT COMBAT LEAGUE - a show that spends a whole hour playing Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots in large scale, a show that isn't even as interesting to watch as BattleBots was a decade ago when it featured spinning colanders bumping into each other. Let's face it, Siffy chugs stool, and they only seem to be getting worse. Give it up Siffy, you're a clumsy, embarrassing mess... oh, what's that, Siffy is owned by NBC? OHHHHH! That does explain a lot.
Staff
I agree with the Fox comment. I know WHY they renewed those shows: they didn't really have a choice. Following and New Girl are solid performers and Mindy is getting better, but it and Raising Hope certainly aren't doing GREAT ratings--or buzz--wise. But Fox needs to renew something other than singing competitions and an old-ass Bones.
I was gonna post Cinemax for Banshee but see from the comments that everyone else has already done so. Still Banshee is a great show and should have more coverage on TV.com to spread the word. Tim dismissed the show after the pilot, normally I share many of his views but on Banshee you are totally wrong.
Go Banshee
Staff
The Banshee love among the commenters is interesting, convincing. I'll watch some episodes over the next few days.
these power rankings seem to be more about hype that actual substance. USA should be higher than HBO due to the fact that it is actually airing the shows that there is buzz about. i'd understand HBO being no.1 or 2 next month
Staff
HBO is airing shows that are hyped. Girls? Enlightened (now done but airing during these last two weeks)?
2 shows.
Girls didnt get mentioned in your write up and you point out the ratings for Enlightened were poor - i agree with the comment about quality coming first, but then you back it up with the comment about online support, which seems more of a tie in to social media buzz
USA has WWE raw (you commented that it was doing well), Psych, White collar and just finished season 2 of suits.All did well in ratings compared to the 2 shows you mentioned and all did well in social media buzz.
The hype i was talking about is Game of Thrones trailers, the Louis CK special in APRIL, the upcoming Liberace biopic and the upcoming Ryan Murphy film.
When GoT comes back, the Louis CK special airs, the Liberace bio airs and the Ryan Murphy films airs THEN HBO will probably be no.1 or 2 in the power rankings but giving credit now takes credit away from the shows that are airing now that either do well in the ratings, are a quality show or are creating social media buzz from their broadcasts.

But this is all coming down to personal tastes which makes for generally good discussions, and i actually appreciate the fact that you reply to a lot of the comments made without getting snarky.
Thank you for making these posts a bit more interactive
More +
Staff
No problem. I mean it's a combination of a lot of things. The ratings to matter and are bad for Enlightened, but the show is SO GOOD that it sort of overtakes the ratings issue. USA certainly pulls in more pure ratings numbers (and clear social media buzz, because they do an awesome job at that) than HBO, but the quality of HBO's shows are a bit better right now. It's obviously based a lot of my perceptions. But I appreciate the comments and the feedback.
I never even knew Duck Show was a show until about a week and a half ago, and now it's hard to believe I had no idea. I'd definitely say AMC should lead: They've got, along with the Walking Dead, Hell on Wheels, Mad Men, The Killing (I know some of you diss it, but hey), and of course Breaking Bad, on top of other things. FX is a close second for me, and the time-travelling horror show sounds awesome indeed! HBO, of course, has a place near and dear for me, and beyond that mostly other unmentioned networks (ie. Showtime, etc.)
Staff
Here's the thing that I guess I need to keep describing: Rankings are based on what's happening RIGHT NOW. So when Mad Men (and Breaking Bad) return, AMC will certainly have a lot of claim to that top spot. Same thing with HBO and Game of Thrones and/or True Blood.
Got it, thanks. I didn't read the article all that carefully, just basically the list. The last article I didn't read at all (my bad).
This comment has been removed.
Actually, serious side question: Can you nutshell real quick some of the criteria for how show reviews are assigned? I'm a Bansheeite wondering if things would need to go Jericho nuts in order to get it some coverage.
Staff
It's not totally my ballpark, but it's usually a mix of writer interest and readership interest. Seems like there's certainly a lot of the latter, so we'll see what happens in the future.
That's cool :) I'm happy 'nuff just to know it's now a blip on the staff's radar ::thumbs up::
Banshee and The Americans are without a doubt the best new shows this year. All the new crap this year on the main networks just shows how stupid they were to cancel shows like Terra Nova and Secret Circle which would have had real staying power.
So let's see. You're saying that more episodes of Zero Hour will air during the summer? Guess I'll have to keep my eyes pealed for that.
Staff
That's the assumption. Not confirmed, but likely. They'll be released at some point.
Are we sure that they were all filmed? I would guess that they were, because there are only supposed to be ten of them, and I read a comment somewhere that they've spent like a year working on it.
Lee Pace + AMC! I am so excited! Best elf ever!
BANSHEEEEEEE!!!!
and how can we ignore Showtime's : Californication and Shameless....and Cinemax's: Banshee
BANSHEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then there's BBC, ITV, CTV and a few other ones.
Honestly, I just can't wait for GOT. PLS PLS PLS PLS. UGH WHY ISN'T IT THE 31ST RIGHT NOW???? Seriously, Dorothy, are your shoes broken or do they not work for time-travel? Just space? Can I go to Braavos? I need some good old-fashioned Syrio Forel. (PS Is he still alive? Do we even know?)
I know what I'm gonna do: I freeze myself in an ice cell at the wall and on March the 31st Dolorous Edd unfreezes me - problem solved!
HOLD UP AND WAIT FOR ME!!!!!!!!! I'm coming too.
Dammit NBC, pull yourself together !
As long as they have archer, Wilfred and louie in comedy, and justified, sons of anarchy, and the Americans and American horror story in drama, fx will be the best channel on TV.
Banshee on Cinemax. Where's the love???
BANSHEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol, I can't resist:-)
Need to watch that.
its awesome, there's lots of violence but its partnered with a very good story line as well. Give it a go. You said you like strike back??? You would like this. Episode 3 called meet the new boss. Is probably one of the best hours of TV I've seen this season.
At least watch it through the MMA style fight before deciding. The show was great to start with and keeps getting better and better. It's my favorite new show. It's violent but the violence is well done and necessary to the show. Actually it totally kicks ass and if you don't like ass kicking shows then it's not for you;-)
Staff
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll watch a few episodes.
Cool! Thanks for being willing to give it a shot. Ultimately, anything that would help get the show a little bit of coverage would really make us Banshee fans some uber happy campers
Let us know what you think;-)
ABC has Castle. 'nuff said.
I cannot wait for Graceland either!!!
Yay! Finally some love for White Collar! Or... uh... at least a mention at least. I mean, Matt Bomer is sexy. That enough deserves a mention. ...Okay, fine, so it's Psych's fault that USA got a mention, but I can pretend!

Also, Fox just needs to give it up with singing competitions. Fact is, The Voice is so much more entertaining. And it has nothing to do with the singing. We just like to sit and watch Blake and Adam bicker the entire time. That's what makes it fun! (Oh, wow, The Voice is premiering soon... are we going to actually see NBC on top?)

Lots of love to ABC for Castle (seriously, the two-parter episode this season was epic), but I just read a press release that apparently they don't count Castle's amazing ratings because most of the viewership is older? Wut? That blows my mind...

And can't end a post without talking about the amazingness of Walking Dead. YAY!

The end.
How old? Like, over fifty, or what? I never understand this "important 18 to 49 demographic" thing. They do get that people over fifty still shop, and even use social networking sites, right? I guess if the demographic were mostly over 80 or 90, I could see the problem. . . But how old is OLD to these people? Also, I'm under 30 and like Castle. That two-parter was sweet.
Staff
The viewership for Castle is a bit older. Not CBS-old, but older.
1. USA - they will forever be my #1 as long as Psych exists 2. FOX - They renewed the best two comedies on t.v. - New Girl and Raising Hope
Are Revenge's ratings really that bad?
latelys the ratings have been going down because of sunday special programmings also OUATS ratings are pretty weak. both shows went down in ratings becaause they were against award shows.
Season 2 was/is awful and I've stopped watching it.
Tune back in. It's good again :)
I wouldnt go that far. Its making amends as to try and make itself somewhat semi-decent again, and hopefully it can pull itself back together because Season 1 was amazing.
last episode was amazing
Staff
They're not good--sub-six million viewers for the last few.
"On the buzz front, the new extended preview of Jeff Eastin’s Graceland suggests that the network has another nice project on tap, one that steps outside the typical formula just enough to be intriguing."

Haha. As I was watching the promo, I kept thinking: 'Wait, there are SIX people in that house? Isn't that four too many for USA, the formulaic buddy-duo network?'

Then I kept seeing the same two characters in every scene and thought: 'USA, you devious tricksters!' It seems like it's still a buddy-duo except they're surrounded by four other secondary characters.
USA wants to go "darker", according to Jeff Eastin, and change up their dynamic starting with this year's new shows. Personally, I think they should leave that to FX.
Staff
It will definitely be an extension of the formula. As someone highly interested in USA, I can't wait.
ABC Family should be much higher, much better than A&E, AMC and History, as for the Vikings is mediocre at best ABC and CBS are neck and neck right now FX is over rated the only thing that they have going is SOA should be more love for the CW
I'm still all for The CW since I love TVD, SPN, Arrow, Nikita and Cult but I definitely think that MTV deserves a spot on this list at least once because they have Teen Wolf and Awkward (even though I don't watch this but I've heard good things about it).
Staff
Well, when those shows actually air, they'll be in the mix. But they aren't right now.
Thanks! That makes things more clearer in regards to why a specific network is/isn't on the list. :)
Staff
No problem, happy to help.
Love these write-ups. How/why is Duck Dynasty so popular??

Any idea on how the ratings were for Necessary Roughness' last few episodes? I know it's already been renewed for a 10-episode third season, but I doubt it'll go beyond that.
Staff
The last few episodes' ratings weren't great, but not terrible either (right around 2 million). Didn't even know it was renewed.
What's with these fluctuating "power rankings" every week or so. What happens to these networks, do they get exposed to Kryptonite and "lose their powers" every week and then gain it back the next? I really don't think much happens ratings or quality wise in a week that these networks' "rankings" would really be that different every week, despite usually minimal differences. Maybe I'm overthinking this. That is, unless we consider the fact that the History Channel gained super strength and agiility and defeated AMC's X-ray vision in Metropolis last week. But it's still part of the fun to see these rankings, and I enjoy reading them, so their fine by me. Anywho...

I do think Revenge has been on it's A-game lately, and have been enjoying that show lately. Hope NBC doesn't again show up on one of these. While last week's Community was better, the show kind of feels like Futurama on it's sixth season or Family Guy on it's fourth, the show's still kind of the same, but something just still feels kind of "off" about it, without even taking into account that Dan Harmon left. It might still rebound, though. I do agree about Fox being lower, as have others, because of really their limited content lately. CBS has bored me lately, and have almost or completely given up on most of their comedies, really only watching Hawaii Five-O from them, anymore with my university schedule.
Staff
Well, it's kind of boring to just say CBS is #1 each week, isn't it? I try to find impressive things that keep it a little interesting. But like 75 percent of the networks have been on here all three times. Appreciate the feedback and the kind words!
Its pretty much a weekly column that shows which network did the best. CBS was #1 after the Super Bowl (No Shit!), AMC was #1 due to Walking Dead (No Shit!), History premiere of The Bible (No Shit!). People think its hilarous cause NBC isn't rank. What do they think is going to happen when The Voice returns for Season 3.
Cinemax for Banshee. That is all.
BANSHEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Banshee is pure adrenaline every single week. I really hope it lasts for more than two seasons.
BANSHEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
don't forget Strike Back , its pretty good as well.
Staff
I really need to watch Banshee. I like Strike Back, but it's not on right now so it wouldn't be part of the formula.
Please do and tell us about it! i would love to see your comments on the show, it will be such a treat after watching Gossip Girl for so long!
Everyone needs to watch Banshee...
FX is currently responsible for the TV I really care about via Justified + The Americans. Happy to see it climbing the ladder based on those efforts alone.

Re: NBC, I still think swapping shows with USA would be weirdly appropriate. Parks and Rec could live on in cable and NBC's ratings would literally triple via the WWE.
Staff
I've been catching up on The Americans over the last 24 hours and it's just tremendous. My favorite show of 2013.
Damn, ok, I guess I need to do that too.
episode 6 of the americans was awesome.
Totally agree. Episode 6 even brings it to the next level.
Under AMC they got me excited for a minute. It said " Pushing Daisies is returning to TV in a pilot"
I enjoy AMC and FX, but my favorite networks right now based on the number of shows I thin are quality and are performing pretty good for the network, SHOWTIME (Shameless, Californication, HOL, Dexter, Homeland, Episodes) or dare I say it, The CW (Supernatural, Arrow, TVD, Nikita, Cult)

FOX has nothing to offer me other than Family Guy.
I just accidentally started watching Shameless. . . from the pilot, like a week ago. And I'm caught up now. Oops. Sooo good.

I was avoiding it, because I like the British version. . . but like with Queer as Folk, the American version is completely different and less comedic/more dramatic, and overall a completely different show that has surpassed its source material. Though for laughs, the UK version still wins. Oh my god, Mickey on the UK version is the best. Hahaha.

I'm enjoying a ton of shows on Showtime and the CW as well. :)
I watched the british version, or at least most of the episodes of the first season, because when I watched the US version, I remembered the Pilot went almost the exact same as the UK's. But Shameless on Showtime has Emmy Rossum, who is just an unbelievable actress and I hope she stays on the show for as many seasons as it's on.

I'm thinking in a few years, Cinemax could be on top with original programming. I'm watching Banshee right now, and it's an amazing series. Very well done. I can sort of see why Alan Ball left True Blood for it.
Everyone here is talking about Banshee so much, and I'd never even heard of it. Excited to check it out!
I still feel like this is somewhat an arbitrary column and hinges too heavily on single sensations rather than overall network performances.

I think a correction is in order, "American Idol's ratings are doing fine" doesn't jive with the news that it reached a new ratings low recently.
Staff
Relatively speaking, the ratings are fine. It's still one of the most popular shows on TV. And Fox went down! I can't win.
But... but Tim promised this would be the crack in the foundation that would lead to its downfall. Some of us have been looking forward to that day for quite some time.

As for the actual list, I think there's just confusion as to the metrics used to justify the choices. As for Fox, come or go, they're still horribly embarrassing.
Staff
WHERE'S QVC, DAMMIT. BIAS. BIAS.
Staff
I should watch QVC for like 24 hours and then write about it.
I actually did that once out of curiosity. They are REALLY good at what they do. It's actually a little scary. It's a constant barrage of urgent deadlines, panicky market scarcity, and warm testimonials.
This comment has been removed.
This just in, TV.com editor Jen Trolio orders reviewer Noel Kirkpatrick to weekly covering of QVC hit primetime show "Linen Closet". Said Trolio, "Noel's absolutely right, QVC isn't getting nearly enough coverage on our site, we should rectify that immediately. And by 'we', I mean Noel."
Staff
(More seriously: Is this really a show? Because I would probably watch it at least once.)
Oh yeah, 9 to 10pm PST last night, unfortunately I didn't do enough research and chose a MONTHLY show, so your next viewing window is on April 3rd at 4-5 in the afternoon.
Staff
This is going in my calendar.
Staff
Linen Closet. Hell yeah. Would you like to hear me discuss the ideologies of thread counts? HMMM? HMMM?
It's not about the details, Noel; it's about the characters, what moves them, what truths they cling to and what compromises they'll make, it's about the human heart.