TV.com's Swell-o-vision vs. Hell-o-vision (September 23)

Whew, what a week! So many new shows! So much DVR overload! So much Swell-o-vision and so much Hell-o-vision!

Swell:

... Ted Danson on CSI
Say what you want about the show, the guy was a breath of fresh air. Can't wait to see him discover his first semen stain with a blacklight.

... Death from a Rose
Charlie Harper killed off by Rose. Brilliantly plausible. "His body just exploded like a balloon full of meat."

... This Cake cake!
Someone already made a cake out of the newest Adventure Time characters, Cake the Cat and Fionna!

... Up All Night keeps us laughing all night
The second episode what could be the season's best new comedy was a positive sign that NBC is up to something good here. Even the parts with Nick Cannon were funny! But Will Arnett's "Hey Soul Sister" ringtone was the highlight.

... The Vampire Diaries firing on all cylinders
We're only two episodes into the season and already everything's super intense and important. This show does not hold back—it's as insanely entertaining and photogenic as ever.

... Parks and Recreation was hilarious and heartfelt
We really wanted Leslie and Ben to be a forever thing, but man, what a sweet break-up! Also Patricia Clarkson as Tammy #1 is great.

Hell:

... Uncomfortable love gets a reality show
Controversial couple Courtney Stodden (age 17) and former Lost actor Doug Hutchinson (age 51) are pitching a reality show. We also have a reality show in development; it's called We Vomit While Watching Courtney Stodden's Reality Show!

... Whitney's executive producer badmouths our taste in comedy
The new multi-cam sitcom is an acquired taste to say the least, but have you ever wanted to taste something LESS after some lady calls you a snob for enjoying NBC's Thursday-night comedies?

... Michael Scott leaves the Emmys empty-handed
With all due respect to the talented Jim Parsons, the award for Best Actor in a Comedy really should have gone to Steve Carell this year (and not just 'cause it was his last season on the show—he acted the hell out of those final episodes). After seven years of nothing, he's like The Wire of comedy actors.

... Survivor's Brandon Hantz
This week the devout 19-year-old attempted to oust a female tribe mate because she turned him on too much; he referred to her as an untrustworthy temptress. Way to embody everything that's wrong about religion-based misogyny, guy.

... The X Factor's delight in delusion
The X Factor digs up the most shockingly deluded people in the U.S. Did that guy from Kentucky really sell his truck to audition? If so, he listens to way too much Colt Ford while doing meth. And did that girl who arrived in the Porsche SUV really think she had talent?

... Victor Garber joining Charlie's Angels
HE DESERVES SO MUCH BETTER.

What made your list of TV loves and hates this week?

My jury is still out on X Factor. I was hoping that they would not be a cheap ripoff of A.I.. But they are. Everybody that I know was hoping that they would just skip those crappy auditions and have only good performers on. You think that they would have learned fron 'The Voice', which is a much classier show. And those endless bleeding hearts stories have no place on an entertainment show. We could care less if someone sold their truck to be on the show or an unwed mother crying about her fatherless kids!

If this show doesn't get any better and copycatting A.I.'s worst points,it loojks like it may be a 'one year wonder'.

One more thing....There hasn't been anything swell on the dueling Peter Pans show.....2 1/2 Men!
Steve Carell simply is not funny. End of.

I have never even smiled at 'The Office' (same for the UK version, though), struggled to watch '40 Year Old Virgin all the way through, and just a few nights ago, stopped 'Dinner For Schmucks' after 40 minutes because it hadn't even raised a smirk.

Giving him an award for comedy is like giving your dog a treat for crapping on the rug.
Totally agree that Steve Carell deserved the Emmy. His performance in his last season made this slipping show shine. Seriously. I read that article about Whitney and felt the same way about being called a comedy snob. If her show were funny her argument might hold water. Right now it is a sieve.
agreed supernatural and v diaries
I agree about Ted Danson - I didn't expect him to be so good. I'm glad Langston is gone. Also Charlie's funeral was funny.
Swell: Supernatural (no love for the show AGAIN!!!)
Courtney Stodden's Reality Show!

Look, I'm all for vampire/werewolf shows. I like watching the young & beautiful suck the life outta their victims, especially when you can watch the transformation of their physical being into a mere shell of what they were!! However, this old wolf clearly doesn't have any bite left, the vamp is too stupid to know the difference between the sunrise and a lightbulb being turned on, and there just isn't enough bloodsplatter, transformation special effects, or even dialog beyond "honey, can you please tie my shoes for me??". Think I'll stick to Animal Planet's special on Black Widows. At least there you get to SEE the victim get eaten!!
How could ANYTHING from this weeks Two and Half Men be classified as "swell"? I thought Rose killing Charlie was one of the worst things in an episode that sucked to say the least. Ashton Kutchers addition was a terrible move, they should have just cancelled the show without Charlie.

Also, my own personal Hell choice:

The fact that Hugh Laurie did not win "Best Actor in a Drama" for House. I know many think House is not the show it once was, but Hugh Laurie is still a brilliant actor who brings many layers and depth to the character. I'm not saying the winner wasn't deserving (although Chandler was the upset winner of the night as everyone was sure it would go to Hamm) but Hugh has been nominated SIX times already and hasn't won. Its just not fair!
I agree with your Hell, Hugh Laurie just doesn't get the love he deserves.
Swell: Gus from Breaking Bad. Also, Supernatural's Castiel bringing the wrath of God upon everyone! Finally, Community's opening musical number (Community College Musical anyone?).
I am glad I am not the only one who finds Brandon Hantz annoying on Survivor. It is a game. And I don't want you spewing out religious crap at me. We get it, you believe in God now let's move on. I am happy Coach has gotten better, and this show still manages to have great Tribal Councils. Also I surprisingly loved Ted Danson's character, I can't wait to see what happens next week. Thank you Fishburne for quitting!
Hell: Steve Carell not getting an Emmy. Sorry but the character Parsons plays is horrible. was Sons of Anarchy this week? Awesome one liner from Jax: license and registration.
Swell: Ted Danston on CSI, New Girl and the fact that my favourite shows (Castle, Community) are back. Hell: the Ringer was a huge waste of time, hated it. I was also disappointed in Person of Interest :(
CSI should be interesting now. Rose's description of the last few days of Charlie's life and the accident were truly brilliant. That show being pitched about Courtney Stodden is... God help us all. Lastly, Charlies Angels could be so much better. Frankly, it felt like watching one of those older TV shows that everyone loved but then seeing how awful the dialog could be (ie the original Knight Rider).
Swell: FRINGE
FRINGE. That is all.
one word COMMUNITY- the opening musical number made me laugh harder than i remember ever laughing before!
That sounds familiar :)
Where the hell is the mention of Community? Highlight of the month, never mind the week.

I whole heartedly DISAGREE with your assessment of Up All Night. Listening to a middleaged, supposedly smart (based on their jobs) couple with a new born baby trying to impress new neighbours and constantly using the word ironic completely out of context just managed to piss me off. Maya Rudolphs character is a joke; and not in a good way. The whole premise seems to be about two twats (with twaty friends) who have a child and try their hardest to keep being twats despite that child, until they realise they have a child to look after and decide to go to bed. Problem is they'll have forgotten about they child by next week and try to be twats again! Rubbish.

I do agree with you though that Victor "Jack Bristow" Garber deserves a lot better than the awful Charlies Angels. Also, Vamp. Diaries and, I've not watched it yet but, I'm expecting to agree with Ted Danson on CSI.
I agree. I gave Up All Night a try because it looked funny on the commercials and everyone was raving about it, but I was dissapointed. Raising Hope (which is a show out of the same vein) is much funnier and more entertaining in my opinion.
I've just started watching Raising Hope and I love it. Why doesn't it get more publicity? It's well written, the acting is great, the characters are likeable and suprisingly genuine considering the ridiculous situations they get in to and it's a very well balanced, easy to watch show.

Also, I was right about ol' Ted on CSI, he was great. May just have saved the show from what seemed like increasingly inevitable doom.
Hates: CSI NY. I love the show, and LOVE that aside from Miami all have premiered their new seasons, but CSI NY 8.1 was a bit too much to choke down. I understand... tenth anniversary of 9/11, but rather than feel sorry about it I felt like the directors had a shovel and were trying to hit me over the head with the obvious. It got to the point where it was more annoying than it was sad.
Rather than paying respects to 9/11, it seemed more like an exploitation of it.
...I mean seriously, you're telling me (award show), Community wasn't worthy of winning "best new comedy" in season 1 or best comedy in season 2??????? And that's why I don't watch tv award shows and consider them creme de le garbage.
Swell: Weeds// Hell: Why do the same 5 shows get nominated for every comedy award & the same 5 shows for every drama award? and the award goes to --Modern Family-- (Shocker!!) What a hip show! And Jim parsons??? Are you f'n kidding me?? The guy is a tube of toothpaste. 7 years and nothing for Carell?!?!?!

Swell: Kyle Chandler and Jason Katims getting some love at the Emmys. It was about damn time FNL got an award and they got two of the big ones.

I'm willing to forego Fringe showing up, simply because the premiere was last night at eight, probably after this story was already written. But it had better show up next week, or there's be's hells to pays.
Eh, I actually thought less of Up All Night's second episode compared to their first. Oh well. Still better than the other new comedies, I guess.
Swell: Charlie Harper's funeral and the way the writers killed him off; the second half of the Big Bang Theory premiere (three laugh-out-loud funny scenes in a row beginning with the Internet sex scene and Sheldon being right for once); the NCIS, CSI, and NCIS: LA(?) premieres; the last scene of the Hawaii Five-0 premiere; and Person of Interest. Hell: Two and a Half Men's pixilated penis (the director couldn't think of any way more clever to do that scene, like objects on tables or shooting from different angles?); my local ABC affiliate spending five minutes talking about the end of All My Children on its newscast like that was news; and the Republicans' trying to extort the country again over disaster relief of all things.
not putting hawaii five 0 premiere on the swell list? that;s going right on my hell list. and i;d put the steve carrell snub on the swell list, but i don;t think much of him or the office.
I don't know about you guys, but Inspector Spacetime really made my week!
It's exactly why I love Community. They have these references to popular culture, which the audience has to understand for them to find the show funny. That's high class comedy.
I completely agree. Inspector Spacetime and Cougarton Abbey made my . . . . . . However long it's been since Community was last on. Just another reason why it SHOULD HAVE BEEN ON THE SWELL LIST!
Totally with you on Brandon Hantz. That was some messed up stuff. I imagine his wife is now filing for divorce. Up All Night is everything I thought it would be, and I'm glad. Good for Will Arnett. Everyone from Arrested Development deserves a successful comedy. I still miss Better Off Ted.
Do you want to know what's on my Hell list. YOU, NOT PUTTING THE PREMIERS OF COMMUNITY OR FRINGE ON THE SWELL LIST! I expected more from you TV.com.
Second episode of Up All Night was less entertaining than the first (which didn't was funny at all). What's funny about 2 30's years old couple trying to look and act cool (meaning like 20 years old people)??

If it wasn't for the ringtone scene I would have laughed like this many times: 1.

Hell: "The Mentalist" selling out the excellent work they did at the end of last season by resurrecting Red John.
YES! Brilliant final last season completely undone by the courtroom nonsense. Patrick: "Ladies & Gentlemen of the Jury, I shot and killed him"

Jury: "Ah well, that's ok. Never mind. See ya."

[Outside], Jane to Lisbon: "I shot an innocent man. That wasn't Red John"

Lisbon: "Ah well, that's ok. Never mind."

Quick, turn on Castle to see how to move through a cliffhanger/crisis from one season to another. Far better
Worse, the judge sitting thereafter the vertict and does what??? NOTHING!!! Wrong!
Once a jury returns a verdict of not guilty, the game is over. The Constitution precludes retrial on the same charge, even if new evidence surfaces.

My problem is they were getting more and more elaborate in creating Red John's "army" of assistants, and putting them in higher and higher positions of authority. It felt right that Jane killed him when he got the chance, and it seemed they could move on to other, more interesting cases and other, more interesting ways of catching bad guys. But no.