TV.com's Top 100 Everything of 2010: 20-11

2010 was a banner year for television, which means there was certainly no shortage of nominees for our third annual "Top 100 Everything" list. Here you'll find the shows, characters, and episodes that made 2010 amazing—as well as the behind-the-scenes players, trends, and TV-relevant happenings that helped shaped the culture of television this year.

We'll be posting 10 items each weekday through December 31, so check back often to see what made the cut!

20. Jack Bauer's assault on Logan's motorcade

24's final season provided one of the most OMG moments of the series when one-man wrecking crew Jack Bauer, outfitted in the sweetest black assault leotard ever, went ballistic on Charles Logan's vehicle procession.

Jack Bauer Kidnaps President Logan from Wet Macula on Vimeo.

19. A House hookup

Finally, the doctor is in... Cuddy. Eww! The long-awaited union between the two lovebirds was as rewarding as any other TV relationship we've waited for; when Cuddy confessed that she had left Lucas, we couldn't have been more thrilled. How the pair will do in the long term might be a major question, but we'll enjoy it while it lasts

18. Glee's blonde ambition

Say what you will about Fox's singing sensation, but when it came down to delivering "big event" episodes, Glee hit a high note. Particularly good were the show's odes to Madonna and Britney Spears, which brought new life to the singers' catalogs—not to mention Brittany S. Pierce's (Heather Morris) dance moves.

17. Katherine's arrival in Mystic Falls

The Vampire Diaries took things to the next level with the introduction of Elena's evil doppelganger. As the town's primary mischief-maker, Katherine brought mayhem to the lives of bloodsucking Stefan and Damon, and more work for actress Nina Dobrev—who's now playing, and rocking, two roles.

16. Sheldon has a girlfriend. A girlfriend!

We never thought we'd see The Big Bang Theory's biggest nerd get a girlfriend, let alone talk to a girl. But then Amy (Mayim Bialik) showed up, the two got together, and we got to bear witness to one of the sweetest and most awkward relationships on television. Ever.

15. Zach Gilford's performance in Friday Night Lights'
The Son

We've loved this series from Season 1, with its hand-held camera intimacy, natural acting, and tear-jerking plotlines, but one of the tear-jerkiest performances of the entire series happened when Matt Saracen learned that his father had been killed in Iraq. Gilford has put his heart and soul into Saracen for four-plus seasons, and it all erupted from his grieving character in "The Son." If we were able to jump through the screen and give one person a hug in 2010, it would have been Matt.

14. Boardwalk Empire's set design

Without the fancy backdrops of the Roarin' '20s in Atlantic City, Boardwalk Empire would arguably be just another gangster show. But the authenticity and detail that went into every set and every scene brought the show alive and transported viewers to the Prohibition era.

13. The Walking Dead's extras

Yep, we're talking about the undead horde. A show about zombies wouldn't work without an authentic-looking threat, and the makeup department for AMC's biggest new hit did wonders for each individual flesh-eater, even when they were only on screen for a split second and for the sole purpose of get their skulls bashed in. We've seen gore on television before, we've never seen it quite like this—and on basic cable, no less. Thanks to the oozing, dripping, flesh-eating Walkers, we'll be having nightmares for months.

12. Archer's "Diversity Hire"

Any episode of FX's crass new animated comedy could have made this list, but "Diversity Hire"—in which ISIS head Mallory bragged about finding an agent who was Jewish and African-American—edged out the others by just a hair. It was a prime example of what this show is capable of: supremely naughty (and awesome) humor.

11. Netflix's Watch Instantly service

It's hard to remember a world where you couldn't rent DVDs by mail, but even that may soon be a distant memory—Netflix expanded its on-demand offerings for television shows a jillion-fold in 2010, shaping the future of internet television and giving us even more reasons to never leave the couch.

NEXT: TV.com's Top 100 Everything of 2010, Vol. 10 (10-1) >>

The Archive:

12/20/2010: TV.com's Top 100 Everything of 2010, Vol. 1 (100-91)

12/21/2010: TV.com's Top 100 Everything of 2010, Vol. 2 (90-81)

12/22/2010: TV.com's Top 100 Everything of 2010, Vol. 3 (80-71)

12/23/2010: TV.com's Top 100 Everything of 2010, Vol. 4 (70-61)

12/24/2010: TV.com's Top 100 Everything of 2010, Vol. 5 (60-51)

12/27/2010: TV.com's Top 100 Everything of 2010, Vol. 6 (50-41)

12/28/2010: TV.com's Top 100 Everything of 2010, Vol. 7 (40-31)

12/29/2010: TV.com's Top 100 Everything of 2010, Vol. 8 (30-21)

Jack Bauer's assault on Logan's motorcade made for some good tv.
to TUR42 and all lost fans - it was a pathetic excuse for a show that will NOT influence television.....i attempted t watch it several times and each time it was a waste of time
it was about time for house and cuddy!
heh i vote for 17 and 13... i was pretty surprised when katharine arrived and walking dead... great show,,, too bad they only have had 6 episodes in 1st season...
Matt Saracen, YES!
Call Kenny Loggins cuz your in the Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanger Zooooooone! Best line ever.
Fair enough! As long as we can both agree that Joss Whedon is a genius, then who really cares :)
Lily - People will remember the X files, but not nearly as much as they will Lost, thats my opinion and I guess we'll know in 30 years who's right hehe. Buildam - Buffy (And Angel) Are 2 of my all time favorite shows as well, And I do agree that they had great character development. Joss Whedon is a frekkin genius. But while those shows created a massive fan base and I'm sure will be remembered 30 years from now, they just didnt influence the way people make TV shows that much.. I should say this- I dont consider Lost to be the greatest show of all time, far from it. What I'm saying is it's the most influential show. I guess we will agree to disagree on that then, but yeah I agree this was a fun discussion :)
um if anything diversity hire was one of the worst eps in the series. though even their worst eps are still good thankfully. if any ep had to be chosen i'd go with the one where lana and archer both admit they still have somewhat feelings for each other and also that they both named each other as their beneficiary sp? in their wills. i mean come on those 2's relationship is probably the main reason i watch the show
if you can actually say that in 30 years when people look back they won't consider the X-Files then there is no debate. You're a Lost fanatic and that's all you can see right now... to each his own!
Zach Gilford / FNL rules, baby!
sorry but i can't stand amy farraw fowler.. in my opinion, this has been the worst season of the big bang theory.. she's just too fake and too stupid
i guess i have that image of her because she had a small role on the secret life of the american teenager, and it was baad
Plus, I appreciate that you're not just bashing me for having something negative to say about Lost. It's refreshing to have an actual, levelheaded discussion about these sorts of things.
As you said with Lily, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I agree that Lost was (at least for the first half of its run) all about the characters and their development, and for that I loved the first three seasons. I just don't think its character development in and of itself made it groundbreaking--as I said in an earlier post, plenty of shows existed before Lost that were all about characters and their stories. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, my favorite show of all time, for example, was all about character development. Sure, it had a running plot just like Lost did, but that plot always existed (for the most part) in service of the characters--heck, a character was added in the fifth season wholly for the sake of the evolution of the main character and her understanding of her role in the world. So I'm just not sure that to say that Lost was influential because of its character development is really fair to shows that came before it and did exactly the same thing--and in several cases did it better. If we're saying Lost was big because of character development, I don't see how we can't look at seasons 4-6 and what happened with Claire (her whole going crazy thing was sloppily done), Jin/Sun (they devolved into just looking for one another and didn't do ANYTHING interesting in years 5 or 6), Kate (the whole "I became a mother" thing wasn't particularly complex), or several other supporting characters (Sayid didn't really do anything interesting except become infected in year six) and believe that the show did anything particularly groundbreaking or complex in that regard. Plenty of other shows are a lot more subtle and sophisticated in their character development. Just my opinion, of course.
Buildam, Lost was a tv series about character development. People mistake it for different things - they think it was about the mysteries or about the mythology etc, but it was always about the character development. That is where it differs (and evolves) from previous TV shows. you could argue that for instance The X Files had character development, but that would be missing the point - The X files wasnt a show about character development. and even if it had been, it would have just been about 2 main characters - Muller and Skully. Lost developed each and every one of the characters, from Jack to Charlie to even Rose. It wasnt a flawless show - no tv show is. especially not one with so many characters, actors, and seasons. but if you look at tv shows today and compare them to TV shows before Lost, you would see a HUGE difference. Breaking Bad is a character study and development show, and All the characters develop as the show goes on. thats how Lost influenced it. The Fact is (And it IS a fact!) - Lost changed the way television is created today. While Breaking Bad is brilliant, and in my opinion much more interesting and complex than Lost ever was, you just cant say that it has changed (or will change) the way people make or view TV. Lost was a phenomenon, and it brought about the creation of excellent shows and incredible characters. For that it deserves the #1 spot, regardless of whether you enjoyed the final season (which is a completely subjective matter). hope that clarifies things :)
Tur, I'm not sure I understand how Lost had to influence character development in Breaking Bad. Can you be a bit more specific? As Lily said, shows have been carefully developing and evolving characters since television existed, and I'm not quite sure I understand why you think Lost did this so brilliantly. To be honest, after season three, that really stopped altogether. In what significant, poignant ways did any characters, except perhaps Sawyer and to a lesser extent Ben (in the wonderful "Dr. Linus") evolve in interesting ways? People say Jack's transformation into a man of faith was well-done, but we don't even SEE IT HAPPEN. We get two flash forward episodes that start to show his transformation, but then it's just there--that's not really character development, at least not in my book. Really, what Lost did in terms of character development wasn't really monumental or groundbreaking. Perhaps in storytelling technique and ambition of plot complexity (which was ultimately something of a failure considering the clunky way several things were wrapped up) it was rather important, I'll grant that, but I'm not sure why it's placed on this character development pedestal. Any writer who has studied the craft understands how important and difficult character development is, and knows that nuanced, careful storytelling is key to making characters multidimensional.
Lily we'll agree to disagree then. Vince Gilligan is great and always was great, but the character development in Breaking Bad is clearly influenced by Lost, as are all the decent TV shows on today. And anyways in my opinion you cant overestimate the influence of Lost - 30 years from now, when people will look back and ask what TV show shaped the way good TV is made, the answer will be Lost. Not the x files, definately not breaking bad, and not 24. In anyways this whole discussion is a bit silly, lets just be glad there are so many good shows for us to watch nowadays :)
Lily: I think you accidentally tagged me as the LOST fanatic; I have lots of problems with the way that show is hyped. For the first three years, yes, as I said, it was brilliant. After that, not so much. Its characters took a backseat to a plot that was complicated as opposed to complex (there's a huge difference) and had very little payoff in the end (for me, at least). Beyond very obvious themes of fate v. free will and redemption (kind of), I'm always baffled when people argue that the show was so deep. For my money, I'll watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer (probably the show with the most complex lead character I've ever seen) or Angel any day. Or Friday Night Lights, for those who are not supernaturally inclined.
i agree with 19-16. They're all shows i watch
Lost gets a ton of respect though. I can't think of anyone who doesn't realize the impact Lost had but not to the magnitude you seem to think, at least not for me. Character development has been around for years and if you really want to concentrate on characters and feeling for characters you'd have to have seen Battlestar Galactica to even get into the conversation. I cared more about the characters on BSG then any show ever. The end of BSG made me cry so hard, the end of Lost, not so much. As to 24, seasons 5,6,7 and 8 were my favorites. I didn't care much for 1 and 2, and 3 and 4 were just ok. And again Lost has nothing to do with Breaking Bad, sorry. Vince Gilligan has been infusing life into Mulder and Scully long before Lost came on
I agree with 1) the House/Cuddy hook-up - it is the best thing about the series, lately and 2) the zombies on The Walking Dead (I cannot look at any one of them for too long and I definitely turn my head while they tear into any type of meat). I simply do not watch anything else that was mentioned.
As for 24 - I agree that it was a great series. In my opinion it should have ended with season 5, but thats another discussion. and I agree it is great that there is so much quality television nowadays that we can argue about these things. If you think about it, the trend started ~ 6 years ago (when lost came out :P )
Lily - of course there were groundbreakers before Lost, but as far as character development goes (which relates completely to Breaking Bad) Lost changed TV, and influenced every decent show on the air today. There were tons of influential and great singers and music groups before the Beatles, and many came after that I enjoy much more than beatles music, But the beatles are still the most influential band in history. My favorite show on TV for the last few years is Breaking Bad, Lost didnt even come close, but I still think Lost deserves more respect.
I love Glee's Britney/Brittany episode. Nina Dobrev proved to be a better actress once they introduced Katherine.
i thought the glee dance of brittany was great she can sure as hell dance.
I will add though that isn't it wonderful that we can actually have a legit argument about what TV show is greater than another? Does anyone even care about movies anymore?? I go to TV for my entertainment!! Oh and the fly ep of Breaking Bad was awesome. O'Possum sounds Irish!!
Buildam - I like Lost, no problem with it but how the heck does Lost have anything to do with the brilliance of Breaking Bad and Vince Gilligan? And remember, for you LOST is the groundbreaker, there were other groundbreakers before it. X-Files, The Prisoner, Twilight Zone. Lost is not the end all be all of the universe. 24 has as much claim to groundbreaking as Lost and at least 24 had an ending that felt concrete. Lost is good, maybe even great but there is and has been alot of great TV. If Lost is number one I'll be OK with it but I'd rather see Breaking Bad as number one
The House-thing should be number #1....
Agree with FNL and 24.
Hell yea Jack Bauer!!! Such an incredible scene!
Please oh Please let LOST be in the Top 10! And Community!
@buildam2005 I'm only on the 3rd season, but it's fantastic!!!

@alemanyy ....Just...shutup
Yay Glee!
buildam2005 - Lost influenced every TV show you watch today. The last season was controversial, but I personally liked most of it, especially the finale. So whether you liked season 6 or not, you cant deny that it deserves a place in the top 10, and in my opinion the #1 spot. It wasnt better than Breaking Bad or Fringe, but it is at least part of the reason they are so good, and deserves high recognition for that.
I guess whoever made this list can see by the comments that 24 should have been higher than uh Boardwalk Empire's SET DESIGN LOL!!
... Oh no.... That's JACK BAUER!! LOL. Gregory Itzin should have his own entry for biggest psycho/wuss!!
#20?? Jack's assault on Logan's motorcade should have been #3! That was such an epic moment. To me, the sick (and I mean sick) thrill I got when I saw Jack stil that iron mask up against Logan's car window and breathe is what being entertained is about. Jack was over the edge and it was GREAT! Also love Huddy. Should have been higher than 19 but not higher than Jack!!
BBT FTW! Shamy are just too cute for words, but technically, she was never his girl friend; she was a girl and she was his friend.
Actually, what I intended to compliment wasn't Jack's quick-wittedness, but that it showed Jack hadn't completely lost it. And it wasn't the leotard that made the assault so memorable as the iron mask.
Jack's assault on Logan's vehicle is probably my favorite entry on the list so far even though his bugging Logan's lapel impressed more, since it hearkened back to Jack's quick-wittedness from the 24 Day 1. And I enjoyed Lost season 6.
Good call on that 24 scene, which truly shows why Jack Bauer is my boy. Killer scene!!! Also, like the House Hookup (a little), but love the Walking Dead extras. Wisely used in a good show, and of course, Sheldon has a girlfriend?!
I agree with House, The Big Bang Theory and The Walking Dead.
Great 24! I hope Lost isn't #1, they don't deserve that position
I new Katherine would get one of these. Yes! TVD ftw.
Re the lost argument: Lost WAS awesome for its first three years, was okay for years four and five, but absolutely atrocious in its final year. I don't see how anyone can defend it. On a happier note, however, at least Friday Night Lights is getting some love--one of the best shows on TV.
Awesome 24 mention!!!! That scene was freaking COOL!!! :D Top 10 better include Fringe!
Katherine was played brilliantly by Nina Dobrev and she is sort of an evil genious playing everyone around her like a game of chess. The Walking Dead extras were truly scary and played well!!!
Great 24 mention. That was one bad ass scene.

The top 10 better include something from Fringe, Matt Smith's Doctor Who, and the gold medal hockey game.
If Fringe is not in this year's TOP 10, then something is really wrong with you and the whole TOP100.
btw: didn't FNL's "The Son" air in 2009?
Load More Comments